• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Not Even a Nibble

WannabeMerson

Youngster
Pronouns
They/he
John glanced at his watch for just a second, then reeled his fishing line back in with haste. This wouldn’t be the first time he anticipated a lecture from his parents about him having “worried them sick” or the question of “what if something happened to you”. He picked his bag off the ground with both his hands, walking at the pace of someone at least 30 years older than him.

When he finally arrived at the apartment complex where his parents lived, he stood still in front of his family apartment’s door before knocking. Although, what he heard made him refrain from trying to knock again.

“He’s not ready to spend too much time on his own and you know it!” His mom shouted. “He’s barely passing his classes in trainer school with his tutor!”

“But he’s passing, right?” Inquired the voice of a man he’s only heard speak sometimes at his classes. “And he’s told me he’s gone fishing every day in anticipation of this day. He’ll probably enjoy the opportunity!”

John continued to stand still without really doing anything to alert either of them to his presence. The door could have been unlocked, but if he was going to move in any direction…

“Don’t you professor types say there’s a time and place for everything?” His mom sneered. "This is clearly not the right time for him."

…It would be away from the door. Towards the elevator, perhaps. Maybe back to the sea? Just as he was going to head back out, the elevator chimed, allowing a tall man with neatly trimmed black hair to step off it and towards the same door John had just stepped back from. He was carrying a few gift bags and a box of cake.

Of course his dad had to work late tonight. Why was it that his mom understood that, but not that sometimes he lost track of time while out doing something he enjoyed?

“John?” The man asked. “Is everything alright? You’re trembling.”

“My mom is in an argument with Professor Kukui.” John mumbled with his head lowered. “I don’t want to interrupt, it sounds important.”

“Ah, well, you are around the age most people here take their island challenge, now.” John’s dad observed. “Maybe I can help sort things out, but you should probably come in with me.”

“Okay.” John choked out, going into the apartment, but grabbing onto his dad’s hand just in case.

“It’s about time you came back!” His mom said with a huff. “I was starting to wonder if you took the wrong way home!”

“Sorry, mom.” John couldn’t even look her in the eye. “I tried to avoid the grass, if it helps…”

“Carla, sweetie, don’t you think you’re being a little harsh on him?” John’s dad tried to reach for his wife’s hand, but she retracted it.

“See, professor? John isn’t ready to explore the region.” Carla’s glare fixed back to Kukui. “You should leave. We have a birthday to celebrate.”

“Well, don’t let me stop you from having fun!” Kukui nodded, before giving John a quick glance and heading out of the apartment. "See you at school?"

Carla sighed and sat herself down on the couch. “I knew moving to Alola was a bad idea, Howard. You should've stuck with your old job.”

Howard placed the gift bags and cake he was carrying onto the table. “Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t. Anyway, would you prefer cake or presents first, John?”

John didn’t answer.

“...Let’s do cake first, actually.” Howard suggested. “I have a feeling I may have to return one of your presents.”

Top Bottom