• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon | ln |

RJR Basimilus

Arceus is nice I suppose...
Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
I had an idea and was like "I want to write another story."
I think it's mostly an excuse to put whatever I can't put in my other story in this one.

Summary: It's Tokanaka's first day at work!
Rated T for mean words and violent actions

Chapter 1 - Nine fucking zeros

“Let’s start with a quiz. What is your job?”

The Salazzle nearly jumped out of the seat. “Construction credit manager for the Domus corporation,” she said, her eyes wide.

“Works for me,” the Primeape said, looking at the clipboard lying on the table. “Next question, how do you address your superiors like me?”

“Using ‘Sir’ or the relevant title of your position,” the Salazzle replied in an even tone.

The Primeape shrugged, slouching in his chair. “If you want to, but we’re a casual company so the bare minimum is hello,” he said, grinning.

The Salazzle seemed taken aback, struggling to find a response. “I- I understand Sir.”

“You do? Great!” The Primeape raised his fists in the air triumphantly, falling out of the chair as he did so. “Alright, last part,” he said, springing up next to the desk. “We gotta shout the company motto.”

The Salazzle had started to sigh in relief, but froze hearing the Primeape’s last request. “Uh- Sir, I apologize, but would it be acceptable if I just told you?”

The Primeape looked at her with confusion. “You don’t want to engage in a bit of company spirit?” His expression softened, “Are you embarrassed by it?”

The Salazzle nodded hurriedly.

“That’s alright, I won’t force you. I’ll leave the offer on the table if you change your mind later,” the Primeape said. “I’ll show you a big one, so you can see how it’s done.”

He faced the open doorway, inhaling deeply.

“Domus Corp International!” he shouted, the Salazzle jolting in surprise. “If it’s subprime-” he said trailing off.

An equally loud chorus of voices answered him from outside the room. “SCREW THEM!”

The Primeape turned back to the Salazzle. “I think you’ll fit right in,” he said, grinning. “I’m Pete, try to call me that instead of Sir if you want.”

The Salazzle nodded. “My name is Tokanaka,” she said. “I’ll try to remember that Sir.”

“Wonderful, now get out,” Pete’s expression sobered. “I expect great things.” Pushing Tokanaka out of the office, he shouted to someone. “Dehn! Get Toka over here all settled in, ok? I’ll cut this month’s bonus if you don’t.”

From around a corner, a Cacturne appeared. “You make awful bargains Pete,” he said, ambling over to the two. “I’m Dehn,” the Cacturne said, staring at Tokanaka. “You are?”

“My name is-” Tokanaka was cut off as the door slammed behind her, making her jump slightly. “I’m Tokanaka,” she finished.

Dehn didn’t appear fazed. “Nice to meet you. It’s always exciting when the boss doesn’t scare someone away.”

Tokanaka opened her mouth to answer, but couldn’t think of anything to say. She stood in front of Dehn in silence, eventually shrugging. The Cacturne nodded in response and turned, gesturing for Tokanaka to follow.

“Do you live around here?” Dehn asked as they walked past a long window. He stopped to stare and Tokanaka, not paying attention, ran into his back. “Oops, my fault.” Dehn turned back, quickly glancing over Tokanaka. “I didn’t get any spikes in you, did I?”

Tokanaka shook her head. “I don’t feel anything, I think.”

“That’s good,” Dehn said, sighing, “I’d feel pretty bad if this was your first real workplace memory.”

“My first what?” Tokanaka looked at Dehn in confusion.

“You know; what you remember your work by,” Dehn replied. The Cacturne rubbed the top of his hat awkwardly. “I’m a bit of what you might call a sentimentalist. I love my job here, unlike someone I know.”

“I- I love having the opportunity to work here,” Tokanaka said haltingly, trying to match Dehn’s optimism.

Dehn smiled, walking over to the window. “Pokemon just don’t take their jobs as seriously as they used to, so I’m glad to hear that.”

Tokanaka watched him, suddenly remembering the earlier question. “Oh uh, I just moved here,” the Salazzle said, smiling politely at Dehn. “-from out of town,” she added.

“Do you like the city?” Dehn asked.

The Salazzle stared out the window for a long time before answering. “I like it,” she said. “I like it a lot.”

::::::;:::::::::::::::::

“You want this that bad?”

“When we publish this and it’s on the awards track, I’ll cut you in on the royalty deals, I swear it.”

“Is that the truth?”

“Look at my eyes, I’m not lying!”

The Heliolisk stared at the Inteleon who was pressed up against the glass flashing a double thumbs up.

“You want me to open a door for you,” the Heliolisk said, probing under the desk for the silent alarm trigger. “And when I do that, you’ll cut me in on your movie deal that’s worth millions?”

“Billions actually,” the Inteleon replied, “That’s uh- six, seven, eight, nine. Nine zeros!”

The Heliolisk nodded slowly, finally feeling the edges of the button. “Right. So is this going to be part of your film?” He pointed at the Salazzle standing a few feet away with a camera.

“Don’t point at my assistant like that,” the Inteleon said sharply, banging one hand against the glass. “It’s impolite, plus you should never acknowledge the crew during filming.”

“I apologize,” the Heliolisk said, taken aback. He pressed the button again.

“So, are you going to let us in, mister er- whatever your name is?” the Inteleon asked, drumming his fingers.

The Heliolisk sighed. “It’s Kerro. I must ask you to leave, only authorized employees are allowed in. The authorities have been notified.”

“So your name is Kerro?” the Inteleon said, his eyes widening. “Perfect, that’s a great name. Viewers are drawn to pokemon with unique names.”

Kerro narrowed his eyes. “Did you not hear what I said?”

“Allow me to introduce myself Kerro. You can call me Yatch,” the Inteleon said, standing back from the window to strike a pose. “But when the camera is rolling, I am Corkscrew! The reporter of the truth, and nothing else.”

“You’re trespassing,” Kerro groaned.

“I am joined by my assistant,” Yatch continued, gesturing to the Salazzle, who waved. “The extremely talented and mysterious Tokanaka!”

Kerro buried his face in his hands, kicking the alarm button in frustration.

Yatch turned to the Salazzle, grinning widely. “How was that ‘Naka?”

“That was probably the best one yet CK!” Tokanaka said. “But I think the pose could be better.”

“A bit more flair with the arms maybe?” Yatch said, posing again. “You’re right, I’m going to lean in more next time.” He turned back to the glass. “Sorry Kerro! I don’t think we’ll use that- where did he go?”

There was a crashing sound from somewhere, followed shortly by a pained cry. Yatch and Tokanaka looked at each other.

“He said the authorities were coming?” Tokanaka asked.

“I think so, but that’s nothing new,” Yatch replied blithely. He punched the wall. “Argh, I really thought this ‘Domus Corp’ was the big scoop.”

Tokanaka shrugged apologetically. “I think you got a good lead CK. Maybe we just aren’t going about this the right way.”

The Inteleon stared at his reflection. “You mean guerilla?”

“Stop right there!”

A Marowak approached Yatch and Tokanaka, glaring fiercely. One of her eyes was shut and her skull helmet was criss-crossed with lines. The pair could feel an aggressively powerful air around her.

“Sorry about the misunderstanding officer,” Yatch said innocently. “We’re just tourists looking around and we thought-”

“We’ll take a statement later,” the Marowak growled. “You’re under arrest.”

“But we haven’t even- urk.” Yatch realized he was flanked by a pair of Starmie that had appeared from nowhere. The Inteleon sighed and held out his hands. “I guess my assistant will have to finish for me. Do they have television in prison?”

“What do you mean by that?” the Marowak asked suspiciously. She yelled to the Starmie. “Hey, be careful with the other one.”

One of the Starmie turned to Tokanaka, only to see her rushing straight towards it. Wrapping her arms around the startled Starmie, the Salazzle lifted the other pokemon into the air with a roar before suplexing it. As the other Starmie looked on in shock, Yatch blasted it point blank with a shot of water from his hand.

The Marowak was stunned. “Huh? What just happened?” she sputtered.

“The free press is what happened,” Yatch exclaimed, striking another pose. “We can’t be arrested, not until the truth is revealed!” With that, the pair took off running, leaving the Marowak with two beaten and disoriented Starmie.

“Oh,” the Marowak teetered for a moment before falling to her knees. “I messed up.”

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;:;;;;;;;;;;;

Tokanaka ran through the question in her head again. She stared at the report in her hand, took a deep breath, and poked her head in Dehn’s cubicle.

“Hi, um- really sorry to bother you Dehn, but I had a quick question,” Tokanaka squeaked.

The Cacturne looked up at her. “We’re co-workers, you don’t have to be sorry about anything with me. That said, you might not have such a pleasant experience with Akoco. Lucky for you, he’s on vacation.” Dehn sighed, “Anyway, what was your question?”

“I was just wondering about this form,” Tokanaka said, her expression brightening. “It’s for Khyber industries.”

“You’re asking about the orange star right?” Dehn asked, looking back at a stack of papers on his desk.

The Salazzle blinked. “How did you know?”

Dehn smiled. “Khyber is a preferred client, so to speak. The orange star is essentially a guarantee, so you don’t even have to run a check.”

“Isn’t that unfair though?” Tokanaka said, reading over the paper again.

The Cacturne made a face. “If you want more work, you can do whatever you want. But Khyber is kind of special even by our standards. Before you came, Akoco handled construction credit cases. He denied a Khyber application once ‘cause he thought the numbers weren’t right, and someone from corporate came to the office just to chew him out!”

“Favoritism, huh?” Tokanaka groaned.

“We’re good for paperwork, and not much else,” Dehn said, smirking. “You know, no offense, but there’s a rumor around the office that you were partly hired so you could use your hands to sign documents for everyone.”

“Really?” Tokanaka asked, unsure of how to feel.

“Usually a stamp works fine, we have special identification methods,” Dehn said. “But some companies just hate that stuff, they just insist on a signature. The boss can barely hold a pen, Akoco likes to make idiotic additions that just make the whole thing take longer, and I can only sort of do it.” The Cacturne promptly jammed a pen through his arm until the nib protruded downwards out the other side. “See? Don’t worry it grows back. But yes, it does hurt, so it’s not reliable.”

“Wait, this is a branch of a highly respected multinational corporation, and no one can write?” Tokanaka said in shock. “Couldn’t you put it in your mouth?”

“The world would be a different place if pokemon just did what their form decided for them,” Dehn replied nonchalantly. “Think of that, er, that Bronzong popstar, right? Mouth writing is kind of vulgar anyway. What if you drool on the paper?”

“I guess so,” Tokanaka said, unconvinced. “I should get back to work now, thanks Dehn.”

“Anytime Toka,” Dehn said. “You don’t mind being called that right?”

“Not at all,” Tokanaka said.

As she walked back to her cubicle, Tokanaka looked at the star again. Something seemed off about the color, the orange appearing darker in spots. Holding it up to her face, the Salazzle could almost make out a shape within the star.

“So you’re the new hire?” A booming voice startled Tokanaka, papers falling out of her arms.

An Ursaring towered over Tokanaka, looking over her with a mixture of curiosity and amusement. He stuck out a massive paw.

“Sorry about that rookie, let me help you up.”

Tokanaka accepted the paw and unsteadily rose to her feet, only to drop to the floor in a panic, gathering the fallen paper. Seeing that everything was in order, she composed herself and faced the Ursaring.

“Yes Sir! I am the new hire. Today is my first day!” she said, nearly shouting.

“Wow, Pete told me you were enthusiastic, but I didn’t think he was serious,” the Ursaring said, laughing. “I’m Blum, regional manager in this area for Domus. I was stopping by to see how everyone was doing. I assume they’re treating you well.”

“Absolutely,” Tokanaka said, nodding furiously. “I haven’t met everyone yet, but so far it’s been great!”

“So Akoco isn’t in right now then,” Blum said thoughtfully. “Oh well, I guess I’ll have to talk with him some other time.”

Tokanaka tilted her head, hearing that name again. “Um, Sir may I ask? Does Akoco cause that much trouble?”

Blum crossed his arms. “He’s good. Really good. I don’t think anyone else except for a few in upper management have the kind of eye for numbers that he has. Of course, the tradeoff is that only Kerro can reign him in,” Blum paused. “He’s the Heliolisk who buzzed you in.”

“I remember that,” Tokanaka said. “He was really nice.”

“You’ll learn that this branch is like it’s own little family,” Blum said. “It’s tight-knit in a strange way; that’s why I like it a lot better than the Carigara branch.” The Ursaring stretched his arms, letting out a deep yawn. “Anyway, it was nice meeting you, but I have to get going.”

“I definitely will Sir,” Tokanaka said.

“Great!” Blum flashed a peace sign with his claws. “Domus rewards hard workers. I’ll look forward to your results.”

:::;;;:::;;;:::;;;:::;;;:::

“How long does it take your contact to get back to you?” Tokanaka asked Yatch, her eyes flitting around to see if anyone was watching them.

“A few days at least,” Yatch said, scribbling furiously. “Well, it might be shorter than that, I give them some leeway so no one catches on.”

Held by Tokanaka, Yatch was hanging over the edge of the bridge, writing upside down alongside the side. The Inteleon seemed more concerned about shoddy penmanship than the possibility of falling.

“Doing good ‘Naka?” Yatch asked.

“Yeah, you’re fairly light,” Tokanaka replied.

A few moments later, the Inteleon waved, signalling the Salazzle to haul him back over the railing. Tokanaka sat down, leaning against the side while Yatch leaned over the edge, inspecting his handiwork.

Tokanaka crossed her arms behind her head, closing her eyes. “What did you write this time?”

Yatch grinned. “I told them to cover half our operating budget. Investigation is dangerous work, so I think I’m justified.”

“You just want to buy more figurines, don’t you?” Tokanaka pouted. “It’s our budget, Yatch. What if we break the camera again? The extra money would really help.”

The Inteleon folded his arms. “What if I use some of it to pay Saigo to learn how to fix the camera. I bet they’re good at those kind of things.”

“How would you know if they agree to it? Saigo doesn’t talk,” Tokanaka said incredulously.

“Trust me on this one partner!” Yatch said, balling his hands into fists. “I know it’ll work out.”

“Fine. But only if we go to that juice bar on the corner tonight. I’m worn out from running earlier,” Tokanaka said.

“Yeah, you guys run fast.”

The two turned to see the Marowak from earlier standing near them. She sullenly waved.

“Uh, are you going to try to arrest us again?” Yatch said cautiously, slowly backing away.

The Marowak shook her head. “I’m not on duty right now. Not to mention I wouldn’t be able to do it by myself.”

“So we’re cool then?” Yatch continued.

“It’s minor trespassing, I don’t think it’s that big of a problem,” the Marowak said meekly.

“Hey, are you alright?” Tokanaka interjected.

“Yeah, I’m just feeling a bit drained from today,” the Marowak said. “The Starmie that were with me earlier weren’t happy with me after what happened.”

“Well you shouldn’t let them get you down like that,” Yatch said. “After all, you didn’t know you were dealing with professionals.” He winked.

“Professionals at what-?” the Marowak asked.

Tokanaka tapped Yatch on the shoulder. “I don’t think she would appreciate the full introduction right now. Want to practice a condensed version?”

“Good idea. Let’s do it together, I’ll introduce us and you explain what we do,” Yatch said. He turned back to the Marowak. “Normally, you’d be in for a treat. But today we’ll keep it short for you.”

Yatch and Tokanaka simultaneously began talking.

“My name is Yatch and this is my partner Tokanaka. You might not know me by my normal-”
“So uh, we’re a film crew. Truthfully, we haven’t made any films yet, but that’s why we were at-”
“-name, but you have probably heard of my alias Corkscrew, the reporter of justice... wait-”
“that building earlier today. What was it? Domo corp or something, I don’t know. I think Yatch-”
“-that’s not right is it. Sorry, I’m still working on the title, but don’t tell anyone, it’ll hurt my image.”
“-accidently scared the guard on duty. He’s got the spirit, but he needs to control the energy-”
“Anyway, we’re professional filmmakers, as I’m sure Tokanaka has told you by now. The film-”
“-or it won’t go over well with audiences. I didn’t hear if Yatch said this, but my name is-”
“-is going to be one of the biggest expose documentaries ever. I’m sure of it! I’ll be sure to tell-”
“-Tokanaka! Sorry if CK is a bit overbearing, he’s just really passionate, and so am I. We’re like-”

“SHUT UP,” the Marowak screamed, falling over onto her back. “I can’t do this. I’m just not cut out for this.” She started crying.

Tokanaka and Yatch looked at each other awkwardly.

“We need to work on that later,” Yatch whispered to the Salazzle.

Tokanaka nodded before looking back at the Marowak. “What are you not cut out for?” she asked softly.

“Today was- I- I just started,” the Marowak sobbed, “This is my first day on the job.” She sat upright, rubbing her eyes. “I started in a higher position because I performed in the top percentage at the academy. But-” the Marowak sniffled, “-but no one really takes me seriously. And now you guys pulled that stunt earlier.” She fell silent.

“Hey,” Yatch said, his expression downcast. “I didn’t know that.” He stared at his hands for a moment, before looking up again. “Alright, I’ve decided!” He held out his arms. “Arrest us right here. Take us in so you can get the credit, right?”

“Wha-” the Marowak gasped.

“You said it yourself, minor trespassing. We’ll be in and out in a week or so,” Yatch pleaded.

“But why?” the Marowak asked, tears running down her face.

“Reporters of the truth have to have a rap sheet right?” Yatch said. “It’s like a badge of honor, right ‘Naka?”

“Yep!” Tokanaka said, smiling faintly.

“Come on, let’s get it over with then,” Yatch roared. “We’re ready to go to jail.”

The Marowak looked at them, her mouth agape. Then suddenly, she started to laugh.

Tokanaka shot a worried glance at Yatch. “Is everything alright?”

“It’s fine,” the Marowak said, wiping tears from her eyes again. “I’m fine. But I’m not going to arrest you.”

“What! After everything I said?” Yatch said. “Oh, whatever. I need a moment.” The Inteleon walked away, shaking his head.

“You’re not going to take us in?” Tokanaka made a face. “That’s your loss, but it’s your call too.”

The Marowak shook her head. “I doubted myself. But you know, a little bit of crying was just what I needed.” She took a deep breath. “I’m going to prove myself to everyone.”

They were silent for a moment.

“Your boss, Yatch, seemed pretty set on this documentary thing,” the Marowak said, looking at the Inteleon. “Why would he want me to just arrest both of you like that?”

“It’s what you said,” Tokanaka said somberly. “I don’t know if you heard when I said, but we haven’t made any real films. And the boss with his attitude, well-” Tokanaka bit her lip. “-the film community at large considers him a joke.”

“Oh.” The Marowak looked away.

“What you said about no one taking you seriously, I think he sees a kindred spirit in you,” Tokanaka said. “So he wanted to help you out.”

“Wow, that’s,” the Marowak trailed off.

“That’s CK for you,” Tokanaka said. “He’s gonna be the best one day, and I’ll be right there with him.”

“Haa, I think you guys will make it,” the Marowak said. “Your name was Tokanaka right? My name is Vaeda. Public safety, junior lieutenant.”

“Nice to meet you, Vaeda,” Tokanaka said happily. “You know, I have an idea. Hold on a moment.”

The Salazzle ran over to Yatch, whispering in his ear. The Inteleon’s eyes shot wide open as he listened, and he began to furiously whisper back, both occasionally glancing at Vaeda. She watched them, feeling slightly uneasy as they walked back.

“So Vaeda!” Yatch proclaimed. “You had your chance, but the offer is off the table. I will not allow myself or my assistant to be arrested. Instead, we have a proposal.”

“Okay?” Vaeda said. “What are you thinking.”

Yatch pirouetted, gesturing grandly at the Marowak. “You’re going to be my rival!”

Vaeda blinked. “I- I don’t follow.”

Yatch struck a pose. “We report the truth and film for justice. Doubtless, that will bring us into conflict with you again.” He leaned in close. “I hope you don’t think public safety is truly a one hundred percent righteous organization.”

“Not particularly. But I still believe in it.” Vaeda replied defiantly.

“Just as well!” Yatch said. “So here’s the details. We have a feeling that this film we’re making is going to take us somewhere dangerous. And you guys are going to be sent to stop us.”

“So what’s the proposal,” Vaeda said.

“I guess it’s not a proposal,” Yatch said, sighing. “How about we phrase it this way? Let’s all promise to become the best at what we do! But fair warning, you can be the best officer ever and you still won’t be able to arrest us.”

“Is that a challenge?” Vaeda smirked.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Yatch said. “Right ‘Naka?”

“You bet!” Tokanaka replied. The Salazzle nodded at Vaeda. “We won’t let you win easily.”

“It wouldn’t be worth it otherwise,” Vaeda said.

“Alright, we’re heading out,” Yatch said. “I owe my assistant a drink for her excellent work.”

“Hey, you guys.” Vaeda’s gaze travelled between them. “Can we meet up here again sometime?”

“I don’t see why not,” Yatch said. “We’ll figure it out when it comes, see you Vaeda!”

“Yeah, see you.” Vaeda waved as Yatch and Tokanaka walked away. “What did I just get myself into?” she mumbled to herself.

::::::::::::::::::::;

Pete was somewhere under his desk. “How did your day go? You like it so far- ow.” There was a loud thump.

“Today was great Sir!” Tokanaka said.

The Primeape emerged from underneath, sitting in his chair. “Well, I just hit my head pretty hard, so my day is now, simply adequate.”

Tokanaka grimaced. “Are you okay?”

“I’m perfectly fine,” Pete said, scratching his head. “Primeape are expected to take hits. Perks of being a born fighter I suppose, even if I’m no good at it.”

“Ah, that’s good,” Tokana said in relief.

“I’ll be here a while longer, but you can head home,” Pete said, shuffling some papers. “Good work today, Blum told me he likes your attitude.”

Tokanaka nodded, remembering the gregarious Ursaring.

“It’s better to stay on the good side of upper management, as obvious as that may sound,” Pete continued, “It’s easy to please Blum, but if you ever see a Rhydon around the office, watch yourself. That’s Gehr, a senior consultant with the company.”

“I’ll be sure to do that Sir,” Tokanaka said, her head filled with terrifying scenarios.

“You’ll be fine. He hardly comes here anyway.” Pete pinched his nose. “And like I said this morning, you can call me Pete if you want, I don’t mind.”

“Okay- Pete,” Tokanaka said hesitantly.

The Primeape laughed.

“Are you leaving Toka?” Dehn called out as Tokanaka walked out of Pete’s office. “Come over here for a second!”

Heading over, the Salazzle saw Dehn waiting for her, a Heliolisk hunched over his desk next to him. “”Hey Dehn,” Tokanaka said. “What do you need?”

“I just wanted to formally introduce you,” the Cacturne said, gesturing to the Heliolisk. “This is Kerro, he’s the day guard for the building.”

“I remember you from earlier,” Kerro said, not looking up. “What a weird day. I feel like I’m worn out on Salazzle.”

“What do you mean by that?” Dehn asked.

“I actually saw a second Salazzle today,” Kerro said, sighing. “Part of some news company or something.”

“Huh, maybe that’s a sign of good luck then,” Dehn replied. “What do you think, Toka?”

Tokanaka shrugged. “I don’t feel particularly lucky.”

“Yeah, if anything I was cursed,” Kerro said, frowning. “No offense Ms. Tokanaka.”

Dehn leaned back in his chair. “So who was the other one? Do you have a relative you didn’t tell us about Toka?”

Tokanaka shook her head.

“The Salazzle’s name was Iwa I think. There was this Inteleon there too, his name was Yatch or something,” Kerro groaned. “They wanted to film here, but they were suspicious so I called the police. I didn’t see what happened after, I uh- got distracted.”

“At least something interesting happened,” Dehn consoled. “Usually you’re just sitting there all day.”

“I think I’d prefer that,” Kerro mumbled.

“Sorry that happened to you, Kerro,” Tokanaka said.

The Heliolisk made a small smile. “All part of the job. Honestly, I think it caught me off guard because, well, nothing really happens around here.”

“I’m fine with that,” Dehn said. “Nothing wrong with peace.”

“I’m with Dehn,” Tokanaka said.

“We’re actually heading out to get something to eat,” Kerro said. “Do you want to come with us?”

The Salazzle smiled. “Sure!”

;;;:::;;:::;;;

“Run that by me again,” the Prinplup said, his flippers poised over a touchscreen.

The Xurkitree lit up several times in succession, gesturing with it’s cables.

“Okay! I think I got it now,” the Prinplup exclaimed. He looked over his notes. “One ticket for ‘The House of the Dead’, right?”

It flashed a bit more, handing the Prinplup some money. The penguin handed over a ticket.

“Enjoy the movie,” the Prinplup said, already looking at the next customer.

WildBoots

Don’t underestimate seeds.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. moka-mark
  2. solrock
Overall thoughts:
Very strong shoujo vibes here—reminded me of Agretsuko with all of the quirky office culture. I thought the characters were cute, but the chapter went a little long. More on that below.

Yacht was definitely the most interesting character for me so far, though I guess we’ll see how things develop. We don’t know much about Tokanaka yet—she seems to be simply going along with Yacht’s plans, but we don’t know why or what she actually wants from this set-up. Seems like we’re building up to a series of misadventures for the skinny lizard pair, though I’m not sure what to make of the piplup at the end.

The nitty gritty:
The Ursaring stretched his arms, letting out a deep yawn. “Anyway, it was nice meeting you, but I have to get going.”

“I definitely will Sir,” Tokanaka said.
Her dialogue didn’t quite seem to follow his.

So we’re cool then?” Yatch continued.

“It’s minor trespassing, I don’t think it’s that big of a problem,” the Marowak said meekly.
I know you’re trying to serve up oddball cop—against expectations, she’s nervous and mild!—but I had trouble suspending my disbelief. People get nasty when they’ve been publicly embarrassed or when their power is taken away when they’re supposed to have some. If you want them to be rivals, why not have a scene where she spots them and gives chase, Yacht cheerily offering to be rivals the entire time as if he’s in control?

“I remember you from earlier,” Kerro said, not looking up. “What a weird day. I feel like I’m worn out on Salazzle.”
I feel like this moment could’ve been more suspenseful! Let Tokanaka have a jolt of panic only to discover, oops, he assumes she’s a second salazzle. (Also, if anyone should be able to tell apart different salazzle, I would think it would be a fellow lizard.)

In a few places, I couldn’t quite get a grasp on the tone you were going for. Like the cursing in the chapter title and nowhere in the chapter itself. Or the careful recreation of Japanese office culture ... paired against the inability of many of these characters to perform a lot of office tasks. I wasn’t sure how seriously to take this construction company office, even though we spent a lot of time there.

For the amount of development we got on our main girl Tokanaka and how how low-stakes the conflicts felt throughout, I think it went a little long! I wouldn’t mind if it were a bunch of cute, quirky shorts, but it feels like you’ve got other plans. If you’re building to something, I think you want to up the stakes faster. In particular, Tokanaka’s new job feels to me like a means to an end right now and therefore maybe merits less focus? I want less about her meeting her supervisors and more of her thoughts and feelings about being there—and maybe a stronger hint about what she and Yacht expect to uncover there.

Nice to see you posting, and I hope the writing goes well! I think a few people in this community will super enjoy the cute, light-hearted banter. Hopefully they come check it out.

RJR Basimilus

Arceus is nice I suppose...
Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
Thanks for checking this out Johto!
I've never watched aggretsuko, but the comparison makes sense.

It's interesting seeing the difference between what's written and what's "read", so to speak.
I approached this with a completely different vibe, lol. Originally, this was going to be a bit longer, but I decided I'd put things in later, which I think actually made the chapter more benign. Oh well, I'll see what I can do.

Top Bottom