• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Lights (One-Shot)

Captainnemo

just a small ant on a highway
Pronouns
her/hers
Hilda leans against the seat of the gondola, while her left elbow is resting on the metal window frame. As she enjoys the nocturnal sight of Nimbasa City, a pleasantly cool spring breeze blows in her face, playing gently with her hair. Hilda looks at the fantastic coastline of Nimbasa. The water is as clear and clean as glistening glass and the sea seems even more endless when it is not influenced by any human-made light. It makes Unova look so much more beautiful than it actually is. Slowly her gaze wanders back to the city and she catches the sight of the glowing Musical Theater. Only a few hours ago she was there as a guest to watch the performance of her friend Bianca or rather her Pokémon´s performance. Her Emboar is actually not the first thing you would associate with the glamorous musical branch. Usually the Pokémon there are elegant, graceful and this description doesn't exactly fit with a well-built boar-like Pokémon. But Bianca has talent and knows how to use her Pokémon. And that's exactly why her partner didn't seem out of place. On the converse, Hilda could see how good it felt on stage and this feeling rubbed off on the audience, who almost forgot to breathe because of the cheering. Hilda closes her eyes for a moment, a gentle smile plays around her lips. Bianca might not be the strongest battler, but she cares for her Pokémon and that makes a good trainer.

"It's nice, am I right?"

The girl blushes and her eyes widen immediately as she remembered that she´s not alone. She was so lost in her thoughts, that she almost forgot how she actually ended up here. Hilda quickly takes her hand off her cheek, sits up straight and looks at the person in front of her.

N.

Someone who should be her enemy, her rival. After all he is the king of a criminal organization called Team Plasma. She should despise and fight him. However, she has no negative feelings towards him. There was no hate, no fear, no disgust. His intentions aren´t like the ones of a typical villain's either. He doesn't want anyone to suffer or be in pain. He just wants the Pokémon to be fine. And can a person who likes Pokémon that much really be bad? Hilda asked herself this question multiple times.

"Yes," she answers after what feels like an eternity and nods briefly to reinforce her statement a little. "Nimbasa is a beautiful city," she added to not appear as taciturn as she usually is. "Well actually all Unova is."

Sometimes she wonders how Pokémon Trainers fared before her? What were their rivals like? Did everyone get on as well with them as Hilda get on with N?
N is a bit strange, that's clear. He is quite peculiar, difficult to understand at times, but that doesn't matter. Because she can see in his eyes that he doesn't want any harm or pain. He doesn't want to battle just to fight. He doesn't fight because he enjoys it or because he thinks it's funny. N isn´t like the majority of the Pokémon Trainer in this world. He doesn't fight for fame, money or Honor. He fights because he stands up for what he believes. He wants to save the Pokémon and that´s what Hilda finds admirable. She agrees with N in many points. People shouldn´t treat Pokémon however they want or just use them to compete with each other. Who would have thought that she would meet someone like him on her journey?

"I like it."

She blinks briefly, then put all of her attention on him.

"I´m sorry. What do you mean?" Hilda asks confused.

He points to the Pokéballs on her belt. "The way you treat them."

"Them? Do you mean my Pokémon?"

He nods and drops his finger.

“Because even in the Pokéballs I can feel that they are fine. You are a good trainer. You´re full of heart and strict at the same time. However, they tell me that you only mean well for them."

Hilda´s heart swells with joy at these words. The first time she heard he can understand Pokémon, she thought he was some kind of weirdo. But now she believes him. Because she doesn't see any reason why he should lie to her. There is no reason for N to ever lie at all.

"It is nice. Like back then, when we first met. "

His gaze wanders from her belt to her face. She looks directly into his eyes. The moonlight and the lightning of the Ferris wheel make them shine like emeralds.

"I never thought I'd ever meet a trainer like you," he says silently.

Inside she laughs a little. Didn't she just have the same thought a few seconds ago?

"A trainer who is loved by his Pokémon like you," N continues.

Hilda cheeks turn slightly pink again and she smiles mildly embarrassed. Lots of people tell her over and over that the bond she shares with her Pokémon is incredibly strong. That her Pokémon trust her unconditionally, and so does she. It's all mutual. Of course she is happy and proud about it, but when someone like N says it, it's something different.
Suddenly there is a loud crack and the gondola stops abruptly, swinging back and forth. Hilda freezes and grasps the cold metal of the armrest.
A little puzzled, N leans close to the protective grills to see what is happening outside. Hilda looks around and notices that all the lights on the Ferris wheel are off. Is it just a blackout or something more concerning?
She wants to say something, but her green-haired companion gets ahead of her.

"I'm sorry."

"... Huh?"

“I asked you earlier to do a lap with me. If I hadn't asked you, you wouldn't be stuck here now. "

Hilda just waves it off and laughs nervously.

"What? No, it's okay... I am sure that it will work again any moment. If not, my Unfezant will definitely help us!" Hilda scratches the back of her head, still with a bashful smile on her face. “And so I can at least be sure that you are fine. If you had driven alone and it suddenly stopped, I would be more worried. "

"…worried?" N looks questioningly at her.

The teenager shrinks as soon as she realizes what she just said.

"Well, uhm… with that I mean -" she rushes.

"You are worried about me, Hilda?" N asks curiously.

Hilda can´t find any. Of course, she could just say that he misunderstood her. She could say that she didn't mean it, that she didn't express herself correctly, and that this is all just a big misunderstanding. But why should she lie to someone who is always honest with her? Someone who is such a peaceful and nice person?

"Yes, I am," Hilda responds calmly.

For a brief moment she can see a slight smile on his lips. Slowly he takes off his cap and puts it down next to him on the empty seat. He runs his hand through his hair and looks outside the window.

"You do not have to. The Pokémon will always be with me, always protecting me. They always have and I know that won't change. "

Hilda doesn't know exactly how he relates to the Pokémon, why it is possible for N to talk to them, to feel what they are feeling, but she knows that his bond with them is probably even deeper than the connections she shares with her Pokémon.

"And that's why I know that I never have to worry about you." N adds.

"About me?" she asked confused.

He nods and turns his head back to her and their eyes meet once again.

"Because I know your Pokémon would do anything to keep you safe."

Hilda swallows and suddenly she starts to feel very warm. She doesn't know why, but these words triggered something in her. Something that makes her sweat and wants to take her cap off as well.
She opens her mouth slowly to say something, but her words are drowned out by a loud crack. Hilda stands up and looks outside. Suddenly the lights around her flicker and everything is bright again. Inwardly she sighs in relief, because now she knows that everything is alright. The huge wheel starts moving again quite jerkily, causing the gondola to wobble quit fiercely. Hilda is caught off guard and loses her balance. She closes her eyes and prepares herself for the pain that she´s about to feel once she roughly hits the floor. But nothing. No pain, no impact. The only thing she can feel is warmth and a pleasantly smell of mago berries. Two arms hold her safe, so that she never has to be afraid that something will happen to her.
N caught her. She closes her eyes, again it conjures up a smile on her lips.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed it.:giggle: I love N, he's a cutie and didn't do anything wrong. Gen 3 best Gen, Gen 5 best Story ^^

Top Bottom