• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

How would people react to a Real Life Competitive battler?

Yiguandoa

Youngster
Pronouns
Him/his
What they do would be horrifying to the average person. Imagine someone in the Pokemon world seeing a trainer that has pumped up their Pokémon with what are essentially drugs, bred countless eggs to get the perfect ‘genes’ (IVs) hell even some inbreeding, only values their pokemon by how much value they provide them and are eager to throw them out if they don’t match their standards, are willing to use very dirty tricks to get ahead (ie inflicting their pokemon with poison so that they can’t get inflicted by sleep, that’s an actual game mechanic), etc…

I can already envision most normal people freaking the fuck out and characters like N passing out.

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
I imagine behaviour like that would give plasma both a focus on thier "league is evil angle" (see cynthia) as wellas someone to actually go after personally if someone was acting like that going through the league.

TheCouchEffect

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
Depends on the state of Pokemon. If they're about as intelligent as animals? Probably the same way the real world looks at professional animal breeders/pet mills. If they're as intelligent as people? Yeah... there's gonna be some strong feelings towards that and a surge in Plasma recruitment.

Venia Silente

For your ills, I prescribe a cat.
At the 0-divisor point of the Riemann AU Earth
Pronouns
Él/Su
Partners
  1. nidorino
  2. blaziken
Pokémon are already established in at least three canons to be sapient and smarter than animals. Someone being a "competitivebro" is... just not gonna end nicely for them, either from how humans would react nor from how Pokémon would react. Maybe these competitivebros can get a strong hold over their own team like how an abuser would, but it's not gonna last long if they step beyond the League-authorized roads, into the wilderness where at best they'd be considered "fair game" to feed a family of wild Pokémon.

After all, what have they got? Maybe one (1) "perfect" mon, aka a genetic abomination that's not gonna last two days without its dependence on a human for basic needs, like how some """modern""" dog breeds can't even physically breathe on their own... and then 4 breeding rejects and a Magma Body HM slave? Lol, if they walk outside their cute little bubble they're screwed.

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
In a real life scenario, the way Pokemon are prepared for competitive tournaments would definitely be considered unethical. There would probably be Pokemon breeding farms specifically to produce these perfect IV Pokemon similar to horses bred for horse racing, but they would likely end up being banned because Pokemon are more intelligent than most animals and the number of different Pokemon subject to them. Certain strategies would be banned for being unethical or cruel, and yeah, Team Plasma would be a little more justified. I'd bet that certain moves might even get banned, such as Brave Bird and Double Edge because of the pain they would inflict to the user.

Mirage

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. minccino
Even leaving aside the ethical problems, their impacts on the public would probably make them widely hated too. These competitive trainers would be awful for the environment; sometimes saturating the food chain with way too many of a particular species (when releasing hoards of breedjects), and other times, completely wiping out species for EV and EXP points. With releasing breedjects, that could even extend to introducing invasive species, a huge problem here in Alola's real life counterpart.

The evil teams would get really interesting. I have to imagine that in this universe, the link between Team Rocket and competitive battlers would be waaaaay stronger, because breeding hoards of Pokemon while striving for genetic perfection is exactly the kind of thing they'd be willing to do (for a price, naturally). And obviously, Team Plasma would probably come off as less villainous, since they would undoubtedly oppose it - probably lots of friction and fighting between those two. I imagine being a trainer of any kind would be really tough, lots of ethical problems and politics to navigate.

I haven't read very much main series fanfiction so I don't know if it's been done before, but this honestly sounds like it'd make for a really intriguing plot!

Top Bottom