• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Exquisite Corpse 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negrek

komorebi
Staff
Exquisite Corpse 2024

It's time to kick off the 2024 edition of Exquisite Corpse! An Exquisite Corpse is a frankenfic created by a group of authors working together... without getting the full story of what's going on! Anything can happen as the story passes from one writer to the next, changing dramatically with each scene.

Once it's your turn to write for a particular corpse you'll receive a message from the organizer with the last two sentences of the previous writer's scene. (Or, if you're the first writer for a story, you'll get a simple go-ahead instead; you start with a blank slate!) At that point you will have one week to write a scene of 250-1000 words to continue the story. Once you're done, send your scene back to the organizer and wait to see how it fits into the final story.

After the last writer in a corpse has sent in their segment, the organizer will arrange a Discord voice chat where volunteers will collaborate to read the entire corpse. For extra fun, the organizer won't reveal who wrote each segment right away--we'll see if we can guess who wrote what first! If you can't make it to the voice chat or don't have Discord at all, don't worry; the full corpse will be posted here on the forums for everyone to view and come back to as often as they'd like.

Check out last year's thread for an example of how this all works in practice!

We'll be running corpses with three different themes this year:

Isekai: Hit by a bus and transported to the Pokémon world? What a terrible fate! Will you use your in-depth knowledge of battling to become a gym leader, elite four, or renown professor in record time? Will you upstage the NPCs with your foreknowledge of the plot? The Pokémon world is your oyster in the isekai corpse!

Grimdark: In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only... friendship! Put your most melodramatic, over-the-top spin on turning the Pokémon world into a nightmarish dystopia. Mind the forum's content guidelines, but otherwise, go ham with the angst and violence. Depending on interest and capacity, we'll try something a little different with our grimdark corpse this year! In addition to having one general "grimdark" corpse, we may run one for either or both of our other corpse themes: grimdark isekai and grimdark Pokémon Snap! If you'd like to participate in one of those corpses, simply sign up for them! If we have enough interest and capacity to run those corpses, you'll be put into them as requested. If not, you'll be rolled into the general "grimdark"-themed corpse.

Pokémon Snap: Venture into the wild to collect as many Pokémon as you can... on film! What strange new species and behaviors will you observe? What could possibly go wrong on a photography expedition? All this and more in the Pokémon Snap corpse!

Sound like fun? To sign up, just post in this thread stating:

a) which corpse(s) you'd like to participate in; choose up to two
b) if there are any weeks where you won't be available to write
c) whether or not you're okay with being the first writer for any of the corpse(s) you're signing up for

Signups close Sunday, August 11th! After a bit of behind-the-scenes wizardry, you can expect initial writing assignments to go out a couple days after that.

Many thanks to icomeanon6 for volunteering to run a corpse this year! We could very much use some additional people to help run corpses this year, so if you have any interest in doing so, please mention as much in your sign-up, and I'll be happy to add you to the team!

Feel free to post any questions you might have in this thread. Happy writing!

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
  2. zygarde
I'd like to participate in Isekai and Grimdark

Also and/or I'd like to possibly run a corpse since I wanted to judger a contest again buit missed out

I'm OK with being the first writer but the week of August 24 is bad for me,that's my sister'zs wedding

icomeanon6

That's "I come anon 6"
Pronouns
masculine
I'd like to write for "Pokemon Snap" and "Grimdark Pokemon Snap" if it gets run! No problem getting rolled into base Grimdark. No objection to starting, either, and no foreseen bad weeks for writing before November.

WndsweptCity

Youngster
I would like to write for Isekai and Grimdark General. I don't foresee any issues for bad weeks of writing. I would be ok leading off for the Grimdark, but not the Isekai.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Would like to be in for Grimdark or Pokemon Snap. I can start! I will be traveling a lot in the middle of August but i don’t think it’ll be an issue.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
  9. manectric
I'll go in for Isekai and Pokemon Snap. I'm available pretty much whenever, though might run into some issues in November if it runs that long. Prefer not to start but willing if needed.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
I’ll sign up for Isekai and grimdark. If either of the grimdark subgenres happen, I’m also all in for those lol

I’m okay with starting. I don’t foresee any especially bad weeks.

The Walrein

Vicinal Dragging for the Truth
Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
a) I'll sign up for Isekai and Grimdark Pokemon Snap.
b) I should be available to write every week.
c) I'm fine with being the first writer.

Pronouns
she/her
Ooo, this looks like fun! I'll sign up for grimdark to appease my inner twelve-year-old :quag:

I don't have any plans coming up, so I can write any week.

I'm okay with being the first writer.

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
a) i would like to sign up for the (general) grimdark corpse!
b) there should not be any weeks im unavailable.
c) i would not like to be the first writer.

Shizzza

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
They/them
I'd like to sign up for all three of the corpses- Snap, Isekai, and Grimdark are all fine. I'm also fine with starting a corpse/being the first entry.

Negrek

komorebi
Staff
I'd like to sign up for all three of the corpses- Snap, Isekai, and Grimdark are all fine. I'm also fine with starting a corpse/being the first entry.
Unfortunately I think we can only accommodate two corpses per person this year. Are there two of the options that you like better than the others, or should I place you wherever there's room?

ShiniGojira

Multiversal Extraordinaire
Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny
  4. goomy
A) I'd like to sign up for Isekai
B) Should be fine for any week
C) I'm fine with being the first to write

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
  7. chinchou
a) Grimdark and Isekai
b) I'm unavailable until August 20th.
c) Would prefer not, and if we start before August 20th I'm guessing it won't be relevant, but could do in a pinch.

SparklingEspeon

Back on Her Bullshit
Staff
a Terrace of Indeterminate Location in Snowbelle
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. fennekin
  3. zoroark
a) Sign me up for Grimdark and Snap, please!
b) I'm available whenever, with a caveat that August 24th to September 10th is probably not great for me this year.
c) I'm not particular on placement, but can do first writer if needed (provided the assignments go out before that aforementioned busy period)

I'm also down to run a corpse again if needed.

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
Partners
  1. aromatisse
A) Isekai and Grimark please!!
B) I have existing obligations the 13th, 19th, and 24th. I can still work on it overall, the requirement of me to write something is fairly low all things considered for this, and I've done Exquisite Corpse (different community tho) before anyway, so this should be fine.
C) are you sure you want to be giving me that power? it's okay if you do, I prommie 🔪

oh, also, I'm happy to oversee a corpse. it's not like it's going anywhere right, how hard can that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom