• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Exquisite Corpse 2023 Theme Poll

Which theme(s) would you enjoy writing for? (See first post for descriptions)

• Giant Pokémon as Pets

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Mary Sue

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Villainous Team Grunts

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Region-Hopping

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Continuous Crossover

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Deathly Corpse

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Heist

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Extreme Game Show

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
It's time for another round of Exquisite Corpse! If you've never played this game before, it's a collaborative storytelling exercise where a group of writers gets together to create a collaborative story--with the twist that each player only knows the last two sentences of the scene the person before them wrote! More details will be provided when the event begins, but for now, if you're curious, you can take a look at last year's version to get a sense of how things will work.

In any case, before we can get writing, we need to decide what we're writing about! This poll will decide which themes we'll use for the exquisite corpses this year. You can vote for as many options as you like, and the poll will remain open for five days. In the end I'll take the top 3-4 theme options to use this year. Any of the others could still appear in a future event!

Here's what all those different themes mean:

Giant Pokémon as Pets: It might be easy for trainers to tote around six steelix in mainline pokémon games, but for people in the Pokéworld, keeping giant pokémon would be quite a hassle! How would citizens of the Pokéworld deal with it when their aggron won't stay off the furniture, their feraligatr accidentally destroys the refrigerator after getting a little too excited about dinner, or they can't get out their front door because their snorlax is napping in the sun just outside? (Or consider: small pokémon blown up to giant size by Dynamax or some other means!) This corpse would provide shenanigans centered around the clash between big magical monsters and the humans trying to live with them.

Mary Sue: She's got beautiful emerald orbs, a fantastic singing voice, and an extra-special destiny--and we're going to find out what exactly that is! What will happen when the most special character ever is thrown into the chaos of an exquisite corpse?

Villainous Team Grunts: There's never a dull moment for the rank and file of Team Whatever. The executives may get to lounge around and yell at people all day, but someone's got to go out and actually liberate a few pokémon, shadowify the latest captures, or cut the tails off the slowpoke. The day in the life of a villainous team grunt is sure to get even more wacky when it's steeped in exquisite corpse chaos!

Region-Hopping: A corpse that will take us all around the Pokémon world, one writer at a time! In addition to their two-sentence prompt, each writer will be assigned a Pokéworld region to set their section in, so the setting as well as the topic will change wildly from one section to the next!

Continuous Crossover: When worlds collide, a few unlucky characters get brought along for the ride! For this corpse, each author can choose to bring one new character into the story, and writers will also be told what other characters are in play. The end product would be an ever-expanding cast of characters from different worlds, all trying to deal with the crazy corpse plotline in their own idiosyncratic ways.

Deathly Corpse: The theme of this corpse, is, well, corpses! Or the spirits that linger after them. This corpse would be centered on all things deathly, spooky, and generally macabre.

Heist: A huge score, an intricate plan, and a colorful cast of characters poised to pull it off--what could possibly go wrong? Besides a bunch of different authors each putting their own spin on the scenario, that is.

Extreme Game Show: The wackiest challenges, the most unusual dares, the most bizarre quiz questions--the extreme game show has it all! From deadly obstacle courses to over-the-top eating contests, the writers for this corpse will stitch together the wildest competition imaginable.

In addition to themes for this year's corpses, I am also looking for people interested in running a corpse or two this year! How this works is that I'll give you a list of authors, you'll contact them one at a time with their prompt, and you'll gather the scenes as they come in. Once everyone's written their scene for the corpse we'll have a final voice chat reading for our Discord members to enjoy the final product. You can choose what theme(s) you'd like to run a corpse for once the final set is decided!

If you're interested, post in this thread or send me a DM to let me know. Same deal if you have any questions about what running a corpse is like or about the event in general! The number of volunteers we have to run corpses will ultimately determine how many corpses we'll be able to run and how many participants we can accommodate.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
I'd be willing to run a corpse again!

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
I’m tentatively interested in running a corpse! Also a suggestion for future corpses: implementing a word count maximum so that entries can be closer to similar lengths and help the overall corpse feel a bit more fluid and cohesive.

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Thanks to everyone who's volunteered to run a corpse so far! I'll contact you once sign-ups close so you're able to pick which theme(s) you'd like to run. I'm looking for, ideally, 1-2 more volunteers to ensure we have enough people hosting corpses to allow people to write for as many themes as they'd like.

Previously the word count maximum for exquisite corpse scenes has been 1500, but I expect to lower this somewhat for the upcoming year.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
I'm legit impressed by how close the vote was, I don't think it was this close in previous years.

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Thanks, Espy and Wind! I'll reach out to you both when we're organizing who will run corpses this year.

I'm legit impressed by how close the vote was, I don't think it was this close in previous years.
For sure! I think this is our closest vote yet. There's no super-obvious break point here, but I think we'll go with four themes again this year, meaning that we'll be writing Mary Sue, Villainous Team Grunt, Heist, and Deathly corpses in 2023! However, there's clearly a strong interest in all the themes this year, so feel to bring them back for next year's poll if you're still interested in them!

Thanks to everyone who suggested themes, voted in the poll, or volunteered to help out with the event this year! I'll have the full rules and sign-up thread up soon.

Top Bottom