• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Kieran’s Final Stand [Battle theme lyrics]

Final Kitakami Battle

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
Be aware that this contains spoilers for the Teal Mask DLC and also probably won’t make much sense if you haven’t played or seen the DLC’s story.

(If you’re checking out this thread for the first time having not read any of the songs yet, you might actually want to start here! I wrote these out of order (and posted them that way because I wasn’t expecting to go back and do more), but that linked post contains lyrics covering the chronologically earliest point in Kieran’s character arc.)

---

I was inspired by this fantastic video of fanmade lyrics for Kieran’s battle theme by Juno Songs, which gave me Many Feelings. But, while I understand why the creator of that chose to write the lyrics based on the fourth Kieran battle, since there’s so much going on in his head there, it does sadly mean that the more intense variant of his battle theme for the fifth and final battle got passed up.

Which then led me to wonder… what if I tried my hand at writing my own set of lyrics for that final battle theme, based on what’s going on in Kieran’s head at that point? So I went and did just that. It was an interesting exercise in what is essentially poetry, which is not a medium I have much experience with at all, but I’m pretty pleased with what I managed to put together.

This can presumably be enjoyed on its own as a poem, but is best experienced while listening to the battle theme that it was written to be lyrics for. Here’s a link to a Youtube video of the theme that’s just the right length for this – the lyrics begin at 0:07.

(If you’re still having trouble lining the lyrics up with the music past that, you can hover over the first word of each verse for more timestamps – thanks to Spiteful Murkrow for that suggestion!)

~~~​

If I’m the strongest, Ogerpon will choose me​
If I were stronger, no-one would refuse me​
Whoever wins this battle earns their place as Ogerpon’s true friend​
In the end​
On this it all depends​
Don’t you dare think of holding back at all; it matters that this bout​
Is all-out, here!​
And don’t think I’ll be holding back either​
I’ve admired the ogre’s story for so long​
How it was shunned an’ alone and even then, it stayed so strong​
All the time I’d come out here to visit its den​
Although I never had the courage to call out, I hoped​
If I got strong, then maybe we could be friends?​
But then you appeared, swept in like a hero​
Stole away my chance, befriending Ogerpon before me​
Lied to me and shunned me, ‘cause I’m such a zero​
Figures I’m so weak, it’s no surprise that she’d ignore me​
But if I’m the strongest, Ogerpon will choose me​
That’s why I need to win this battle; I cannot afford to lose​
Or she’ll choose…!​
(We all know who she’ll choose)​
I’ve trained so hard to match you ever since I learned you lied to me​
So you’ll see, now!​
I’m gonna show you just what I can do​
Always laughed at and shunned – that’s all I’ve ever known​
Even my sister hates dealing with me; no, I’m on my own​
People walk all over me again and again​
Because I never have the courage to stand up, so I​
Need to get strong for this to finally end​
Right away I knew that you were somethin’ special​
Couldn’t be more clear: that’s the strength I gotta aim for​
But compared to you, I’m nothin’ but a mess; you’ll​
Always be beyond me; proving that is all you came for​
It’s ‘cause I’m weak that Ogerpon rejects me
It’s ‘cause I’m weak that nobody respects me
It’s ‘cause I’m weak that Ogerpon rejects me…
It’s ‘cause I’m weak that nobody respects me…

~~~

(Thanks for reading! If you like Kieran enough to have checked this out, you may also enjoy my lengthy tumblr ramble analysing his character.)

Last edited:

silverjirachi

you know, they say archie met a jirachi once
Pronouns
they/them
i just wanted to say that i think it's really awesome that you loved kieran so much that you made lyrics for him, and seeing especially how those differ from the video's. i didn't read your whole post on tumblr but idk something about this just gives me so much joy. great work!!

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Eyyy, this is a super cool idea! I think you did a nice job narrating Kieran's core conflict here. My favorite bits are the reversal of the chorus at the end and the little "(We all know who she'll choose)" in the middle there. Fingers crossed we'll get another song to resolve the kind of bleak ending here... if the Indigo Disk does actually resolve Kieran's character arc in an uplifting way!

BB League Champion Battle

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
Well, Negrek was right, we did end up getting another song… but it’s even bleaker, because I just had to do this again for Kieran’s absolutely delicious champion battle theme and all of the massive issues going on in his head during that fight. I’m even more pleased with what I came up with for this one! And I also invite you to look back and compare this to the previous one, because I did a few deliberate parallels between them.

(I had no specific plans to do a follow-up when I made this thread, but hey, the thread title is pretty fitting here, too.)

This will of course contain spoilers for the Indigo Disk DLC and also Teal Mask and probably won’t make much sense if you’re not familiar with Kieran’s storyline.

Again, this can be read on its own as a poem but is best enjoyed while listening to the track it was written as lyrics for. Particularly so this time, because I really tried to get the emotional mood for each section to match the mood of the music it goes with. I couldn’t find a Youtube video at just the right length for this, so here’s one that’s a bit too long; best I could do. The lyrics begin at 0:07, and again, if you’re still having trouble fitting it with the music, you can hover over certain words for more timestamps.

~~~​

I’m going to win this time​
I’ve got to win this time​
I need to win this time!​
—You kept me waiting​
Don’t tell me you’re hesitating​
Everybody’s eyes are on us​
Everything is riding on this​
All my choices will be worth it​
All my efforts for one purpose:​
Proving who’s the strongest of us​
Right here and now!​
The thrill of battle with my Pokémon​
Now I’ve found what it takes to climb the ranks, and ascend​
In the spotlight, I’ve reached number one​
Earned the respect of all my peers, but still, in the end…​
It’s all useless if I don’t defeat you​
Training, training, all that training…!​
How could you ever know?!​
Through what I’ve had to go?!​
Over and over and over again…!​
Back before all this started, I was no-one​
Used to be pathetic and weak; good thing those times are over and done​
Everything I couldn’t do,​
everything I couldn’t be,​
everything in my way​
I got the picture from what happened; it proved to me, I​
Had to get stronger and stronger and stronger and STRONGER
for all that to finally end!​
Knew that to achieve it, I would need to change me​
See how much I did; I’m not that kid from Kitakami​
Didn’t even matter that it would estrange me​
Had no-one already; not like it could further harm me​
I can still win this time​
—I won’t stop trying!​
Gotta keep intensifying​
Even with who luck has chosen​
Even if I’m left wide open​
Can’t you see how hard I’m going?​
Can’t you tell that I’ve been throwing​
Everything I have at you​
Why won’t you go down?!​
The blinding dazzle of your Pokémon​
With you behind them, self-assured and fearless and free​
See you wield the strength of Ogerpon​
The two of you in sync so well, like I’ll never be​
Takes some nerve to bring her out right now, it’s​
Not fair, not fair, it’s just not fair…!​
You’d never understand!​
You with the world in hand!​
Just rub it in, rub it in, why don’t you…?!​
I have looked up to you so much for so long​
Back when I was so small and weak, you showed me what it means to be strong​
Everything that you could do,​
everything that you could be,​
everything that I want​
But it was spelled out by what happened: compared to me, you​
Were so much stronger and stronger and stronger and STRONGER
that no way we’d ever be friends!​
Just one thing I’m left with: proving I can beat you​
Seemed so out of reach yet had to find a way to make it​
Maybe wasn’t ready; didn’t think I’d meet you​
Nothing I could do but keep the mask in place and fake it​
I won’t just lose again​
I won’t just lose again​
I won’t just lose again​
I won’t just lose again​
I can’t just lose again​
I can’t just lose again​
I can’t just lose again​
What if I lose again…?!

~~~​

(Thanks for reading once more! Alas I do not have another Kieran ramble on my tumblr to link you to, yet - nope, it finally exists! Here are all my thoughts on Kieran's arc in The Indigo Disk, if you wanted to check that out too.)

Last edited:

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Oh hey, a songfic. That's definitely a rare bird around these parts. Though as someone who just recently got through the main campaign of Teal Mask, I figured I'd drop in and take a gander.

Ah yes, that's definitely a very Kieran™️ vibe there. You can almost hear the text bubbles dooting in live-time.
:copyka~3:

Whoever wins this battle earns their place as Ogerpon’s true friend​
In the end​
On this it all depends​

On one level, I genuinely felt bad in-game that there was no option to try and talk Ogrepon into hanging around Kieran since it felt kinda weird to just swoop in and snipe the dreams of a kid with local roots... on the other, considering how healthy™️ Kieran's overall outlook was in Teal Mask, maybe it's for the best that he didn't become Ogrepon's trainer after all.

I'll admit that I had a bit of trouble getting a "flow" for some of the stanzas outside of the opening refrain. I wonder if it'd have made sense to add hovertext annotation with timestamps at some point to give the readers a firmer idea of where each set of lyrics should start.

Don’t you dare think of holding back at all; it matters that this bout​
Is all-out, here!​
And don’t think I’ll be holding back either​

Which was kinda a "careful what you wish for" moment for anyone who did Teal Mask at any point past the first couple hours or so since... yeah. It was not exactly hard to come into that DLC seriously overleveled.
:copyber:

I’ve admired the ogre’s story for so long​
How it was shunned and alone and even then, it stayed so strong​
All the time I’d come out here to visit its den​
Although I never had the courage to call out, I hoped​
If I got strong, then maybe we could be friends?​

Yeeeeeeaaaah, gramps really didn't do anyone any favors by spiking the miscommunication ball in Teal Mask since the entire reason why Ogrepon didn't really show any interest in going along with Kieran was because he wasn't there alongside the MC and Carmine for Ogrepon's whole story arc because of being upset about that attempt at leaving him out of the loop.

But then you appeared, swept in like a hero​
Stole away my chance, befriending Ogerpon before me​
Lied to me and shunned me, ‘cause I’m such a zero​
Figures I’m so weak, it’s no surprise that she’d ignore me​

In my defense, I literally selected the dialogue option that attempted to apologize to you for leaving you out of the loop and extended an olive branch, so...
:joltyshrug~1:

Though yeah, it's gonna be weird if PokéAni also does this when it inevitably gets to its version of Teal Mask's events. Assuming that it does, anyways.

You see, that I'm less convinced about since Ogrepon was literally going for me before you showed up. Not that I don't understand the pain of watching the Pokémon you've dreamed of befriending for years join up with a literal who from another region.

That’s why I need to win this battle; I cannot afford to lose​
Or she’ll choose…!​
(We all know who she’ll choose)​

I guess I probably shouldn't bring up how Ogrepon stays as box fodder whenever I'm not bleeding off EXP from the more overleveled members of my main team, huh?

I’ve trained so hard to match you ever since I learned you lied to me​
So you’ll see, now!​
I’m gonna show you just what I can do​

And then his team crashed and burned against my mid-70s postgame team. Which I suppose was kinda underwhelming, but it teed up things thematically quite well for what I've seen thus far of Indigo Disk.

Always laughed at and shunned – that’s all I’ve ever known​
Even my sister hates dealing with me; no, I’m on my own​
People walk all over me again and again​
Because I never have the courage to stand up, so I​
Need to get strong for this to finally end​

Yeeeeeeeeah, a lot about Kieran's family dynamic is messed up once you stop and think about it, really.
:copyka2:

Right away I knew that you were something special​
Couldn’t be more clear: that’s the strength I gotta aim for​
But compared to you, I’m nothing but a mess; you’ll​
Always be beyond me; proving that is all you came for​

Well, we'll see how much that pans out in Indigo Disk, since things have definitely been kicking up a notch in that DLC.

No, that's literally because you sat out an entire story arc because you were mad at everyone and missed a critical window to make an impression on Ogrepon. I mean, it was understandable, but yeah.

Well that was definitely a different ride, and quite true to Kieran's character in Teal Mask to boot. Kudos on managing to take an uncommon genre for a story and making it work so well. The one point of criticism that I have is that I kinda wish that there was some indication for musical cues for the different stanzas you've got, which hovertexting timestamps might be a means to accomplish, but even what's there is pretty solid.

Good work, @elyvorg ! Though I suppose that this is a sign for me to hurry up and get through the rest of the BB League so that way I can read your ID-themed followup to this without getting spoiled on things. ^^

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
All right, I spent an inadvisable amount of time yesterday digging way too far into the musical structure of these themes and what you did with them, so I guess I really will review you for never reviewed before week, despite the sense of irony there.

I think you did a lovely job in these of centering and bringing out Kieran's issues while carefully making use of the structure of the music. I went and listened to and mapped out the different sections of all of his battle themes and was particularly tickled by noticing how the melody that forms the repeating chorus you that you chose to make about his obsession with strength is something that is just barely hinted at in his original battle theme, a small singular melodic phrase occurring once as a bridge that then becomes sort of the central theme of the Teal Mask final battle - a really appropriate choice to make it about this aspect of his character that always existed in him in the background but has become magnified into The Most Important Thing by the time of that final fight.

If I’m the strongest, Ogerpon will choose me
If I were stronger, no-one would refuse me
If I’m the strongest, Ogerpon will choose me
If I were stronger, no-one would refuse me
There's an interesting, and unsettling, conflict to these two sentiments. He wants to believe Ogerpon would choose him if he were the strongest - that it would simply be her free choice to go with him. But also that if he were stronger, no one would refuse him - he's so used to being trampled and dismissed and cast aside and has attributed that to not being strong enough, so it all becomes sort of a bit tangled up in his head with the idea that if he were stronger no one would refuse him. If that were truly the case, that would imply it's less Ogerpon choosing him and more that he has earned the right to be respected and she just would do it, right? He has to believe that he can earn that right somehow. And he repeats this to himself like a mantra, convincing himself it's the truth.

The echo at the end, of course, is the quiet flip side to these thoughts:

If he thinks Ogerpon will choose him if he's strong, that implies if she doesn't it must in fact be because he's weak. If he thinks people would respect him if he were stronger, then the fact they don't also means it's because he's weak. This whole worldview is self-perpetuating, everything just proving it and entangling it further.

Whoever wins this battle earns their place as Ogerpon’s true friend
In the end
On this it all depends

Don’t you dare think of holding back at all; it matters that this bout
Is all-out, here!

And don’t think I’ll be holding back either
Here's earning again - the battle is about earning this right, and everything depends on this, and he can't earn it unless he wins for real. (Enjoying imagining this is the timeline where Kieran won that first battle and he just immediately figured you were holding back.)

I’ve admired the ogre’s story for so long
How it was shunned and alone and even then, it stayed so strong
All the time I’d come out here to visit its den
Although I never had the courage to call out, I hoped
If I got strong, then maybe we could be friends?
I do have some trouble scanning the first two lines here to the melody of that bit - not sure how easy it is to clarify without just plain singing it, but I'd like to hear what you're thinking there!

Although they're mostly quite different, I like how both the Teal Mask and Indigo Disk final Kieran battles have a fairly dark/tense tone for the most part (especially the latter, of course), but they both share this one section/verse that feels a bit less tense, looking upward a bit, and it feels very appropriate that in both sets of lyrics you use these sections to let Kieran get just a little into some of the more genuine roots of what drives him: his admiration of Ogrepon and desire to be friends with her and then his desire to have the courage to stand up for himself, in this one. But both times that verse ends with him coming back to the idea that he needs to get stronger...

But then you appeared, swept in like a hero
Stole away my chance, befriending Ogerpon before me
Lied to me and shunned me, ‘cause I’m such a zero
Figures I’m so weak, it’s no surprise that she’d ignore me
...and as soon as he's back on that train of thought, we get back to these more tense verses about you, the player, and how of course he can't possibly measure up to you. These toxic thought patterns come through really strongly in that structure.

Of course Kieran figures you lied to him and shunned him because he's such a zero, and Ogerpon ignored him because he's so weak; it all has to be about his weakness, and about him not being good enough to deserve better, instead of about you being socially awkward and in the wrong and Ogerpon just getting to know you instead of him by chance. (Though luck favors you too, doesn't it.)

(It was also fun to think about how this verse is the melody of the opening of the original Kieran fight, where it doesn't feel nearly so tense, just like a fairly normal introduction to a trainer battle. But that, the notion of him battling with you, has stuck with him so hard and just becomes more twisted and tense every time you meet him, even as most of the rest of his musical themes fall away in his champion battle theme.)

That’s why I need to win this battle; I cannot afford to lose
Or she’ll choose…!
(We all know who she’ll choose)
One of my favorite bits in this first one. He knows she's going to choose you either way; he just has to grasp for this idea that that wouldn't be the case if he won.

I’ve trained so hard to match you ever since I learned you lied to me
So you’ll see, now!

I’m gonna show you just what I can do
This twisted sense that the fact you lied to him motivates him to train - another bit of this twisted mindset that you must have done that because he's so pathetic, and if he can just show you he doesn't deserve to be lied to maybe you wouldn't do that.

And now for the Indigo Disk one, oh boy.

I’m going to win this time

I’ve got to win this time
I need to win this time!
This is such a fun progression of the mantra. Starting with confidence - I'm going to win - but then it turns into I've got to win (which plausibly deniably could mean "This has got to be the time I win, right?" but is tinged with this increased desperation (those added violins) as it inches towards what it really means: "I need to win this time." He needs this so badly and that initial measured confidence is already on the verge of breaking.

—You kept me waiting
Don’t tell me you’re hesitating
Everybody’s eyes are on us
Everything is riding on this

All my choices will be worth it
All my efforts for one purpose:
Proving who’s the strongest of us
Right here and now!
There's such a dramatic, almost pipe-organ-like quality to the guitars of this section. I like the sense that while it starts with this tense repetitive inner monologue, this is him speaking to you, with this sense of finality, establishing the stakes of this fight. Everything is riding on this, all his choices will be worth it, all his efforts for one purpose. Everything just comes down to this, to proving he isn't doomed to be forever inferior to you.

The thrill of battle with my Pokémon
Now I’ve found what it takes to climb the ranks, and ascend
In the spotlight, I’ve reached number one
Earned the respect of all my peers, but still, in the end…
The jaringly bright nature of these couple verses is quite something. Kieran gets a moment to think about how he genuinely enjoys battling with his Pokémon, and he's found a sense of strength and respect, and yet -- and then we move into the angriest verses of the whole thing because he just can't keep this positive train of thought without falling back into rage about you:

It’s all useless if I don’t defeat you
Training, training, all that training…!
How could you ever know?!
Through what I’ve had to go?!
Over and over and over again…!
It's all useless if he doesn't beat you. The thought of you keeps him unable to find real joy in what he's accomplished.

Back before all this started, I was no-one
Used to be pathetic and weak; good thing those times are over and done

Everything I couldn’t do,
everything I couldn’t be,
everything in my way
I got the picture from what happened; it proved to me, I
for all that to finally end!
And that, of course, takes us back to the motivation section again, which has now grown incoherent guitar riffs, those times are definitely over and done, he had to get stronger and he did, he did

(This is another bit where I admit I have some trouble placing where you're putting the words against the melody, what with rapid chaotic guitar riffs! Would love to hear more on what you're thinking here, too.)

Knew that to achieve it, I would need to change me
See how much I did; I’m not that kid from Kitakami
Didn’t even matter that it would estrange me
Had no-one already; not like it could further harm me
And we're back to the section that calls back to the opening of your very first battle with him. He's not that kid from Kitakami, indeed, even as we reprise the melody of when you got to know that kid from Kitakami. There's a very fun irony to the fact he insists on how he needed to change himself to the melody of the one bit that hasn't changed.

I can still win this time

I need to win this time!
And we're back to the mantra, this time with I can still win this time, because by this point we're partway through the fight and he's already seeing the signs that it isn't happening, but he can still win.

—I won’t stop trying!
Gotta keep intensifying
Even with who luck has chosen
Even if I’m left wide open

Can’t you see how hard I’m going?
Can’t you tell that I’ve been throwing
Everything I have at you
Why won’t you go down?!
Love the frustration of this bit and how well it conveys that he's struggling. The little reference to the line about how even luck has chosen you, Even if I'm left wide open probably referring to his Porygon-Z's Hyper Beam. The Can't you see how hard I'm going, can't you tell that I've been throwing everything I have at you is so revealing as well - he feels like he's earned this, hasn't he earned this?

The blinding dazzle of your Pokémon
With you behind them, self-assured and fearless and free
See you wield the strength of Ogerpon
The two of you in sync so well, like I’ll never be
The bright section again! He's legitimately impressed and in awe, admires the confidence and fearlessness and freedom he sees in you because they're things he so wishes he had (just like his admiration of Ogerpon herself), admires the bond that you have with her -- but then, again, those thoughts twist into but I'll never have that, and into wild anger.

Takes some nerve to bring her out right now, it’s
Not fair, not fair, it’s just not fair…!
You’d never understand!
You with the world in hand!
Just rub it in, rub it in, why don’t you…?!
More good references to his battle dialogue. You who get to have everything, when he gets nothing, just rubbing in that you get to have her--

I have looked up to you so much for so long
Back when I was so small and weak, you showed me what it means to be strong

Everything that you could do,
everything that you could be,
everything that I want
But it was spelled out by what happened: compared to me, you
that no way we’d ever be friends!
And the final motivation section, on looking up to you, and to your strength, and how you were everything he wanted to be, only for it all to twist again into how of course you could never be friends because you were just so much stronger and that's why he needs to win

(He's projecting so much meaning you never did onto you beating him in battle and it's tragic)

Just one thing I’m left with: proving I can beat you
Seemed so out of reach yet had to find a way to make it
Maybe wasn’t ready; didn’t think I’d meet you
Nothing I could do but keep the mask in place and fake it
And final original battle opening callback as he returns to the one thing he's left with being proving he can beat you. It all comes down to battling you, like that first time. (Still enjoy how he refers to it as a mask. Fun to think of it in the context of what you posted in the Discord thread today, too, regarding how he puts on this expressionless mask when he Terastalizes his Pokémon.)

I won’t just lose again
I won’t just lose again
I won’t just lose again
I won’t just lose again

I can’t just lose again
I can’t just lose again
I can’t just lose again
What if I lose again…?!
And appropriately the mantra progression ends with this: he won't lose (framed negatively instead of the positive framing of I'm going to win), he can't, until he finally is forced to contemplate it.

There's a lot of great depth and richness of allusions in these lyrics and it's a lot of fun to analyze the relationship to the music especially; glad I did. There are a couple of places where I can't quite scan it well to the music by reading it on its own, but lovely job. Really wish I could hear these sung, especially if it were by someone who could really put the emotional punch into it. The Boy has so many issues and he should Sing them.

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
@Spiteful Murkrow
Thanks for the tip about using hovertext for timestamps! I had considered putting additional timestamps in for all of the verses, but just having the times there in among the text felt like it would be too distracting - however, hovertext is the perfect solution that I simply hadn't realised was an option! I have now edited those in, hopefully they'll help you out a bit (as well as anybody else) if you get around to checking out the second song/go back to revisit the first song.

On one level, I genuinely felt bad in-game that there was no option to try and talk Ogrepon into hanging around Kieran since it felt kinda weird to just swoop in and snipe the dreams of a kid with local roots... on the other, considering how healthy™️ Kieran's overall outlook was in Teal Mask, maybe it's for the best that he didn't become Ogrepon's trainer after all.
Yup, Kieran is definitely nothing but Extremely Healthy(TM) Worldviews, particularly when it comes to strength and weakness. Definitely a great mentor figure for Ogerpon there.

Which was kinda a "careful what you wish for" moment for anyone who did Teal Mask at any point past the first couple hours or so since... yeah. It was not exactly hard to come into that DLC seriously overleveled.
:copyber:
Hey, even then, even though he's basically just asking you to curbstomp him if you're capable of it (which you probably are), Kieran still means this! He won't have earned the right to be Ogerpon's partner (which is totally what will happen if he wins, right) if he only won because you were holding back.

In my defense, I literally selected the dialogue option that attempted to apologize to you for leaving you out of the loop and extended an olive branch, so...
:joltyshrug~1:
This definitely still applies even in the universe where you picked that option! Kieran definitely just brushed that off without properly internalising it and stayed trapped in his self-perpetuating spiral of "it's because I'm weak".

Though yeah, it's gonna be weird if PokéAni also does this when it inevitably gets to its version of Teal Mask's events. Assuming that it does, anyways.
Interesting thought! Yeah, I can only imagine that if the anime does go to Kitakami at any point, things will turn out very differently, specifically due to the lack of the Perfect Protagonist Who Gets Everything causing Kieran's issues to skyrocket (and because most characters would not have made the Extremely Intelligent Decision to lie to him at all). I would still be down for seeing how an anime adaptation handles Kieran even in a different storyline anyway, because whoops apparently I have a favourite Pokémon canon character now.

You see, that I'm less convinced about since Ogrepon was literally going for me before you showed up. Not that I don't understand the pain of watching the Pokémon you've dreamed of befriending for years join up with a literal who from another region.
Oh, but you're not just some nobody from nowhere! You're the coolest and strongest trainer he's ever met, of course Ogerpon wants to partner with you, and the only way he could possibly change her mind is if he proves he's even stronger than you, right, definitely

Yeeeeeeeeah, a lot about Kieran's family dynamic is messed up once you stop and think about it, really.
This part wasn't even just about the family dynamic! While his sister is a significant part of it so I wanted to include mention of her, I very much get the sense that Kieran's issues about being walked all over and shunned don't come from only her. (After all, he's also got issues about being treated like an outcast, which is not something Carmine would have ever done to him - until she did so accidentally in the DLC's events, whoops :unquag:)

Well, we'll see how much that pans out in Indigo Disk, since things have definitely been kicking up a notch in that DLC.
:copyka:

No, that's literally because you sat out an entire story arc because you were mad at everyone and missed a critical window to make an impression on Ogrepon. I mean, it was understandable, but yeah.
No, it's obviously because he's weak, right? Even if he had chosen to come along with Ogerpon on the mask-retrieval quest, she'd still have just ignored him the whole time for that reason, right?
(this is probably a lot of why he didn't want to come, thus making it an apparent self-fulfilling prophecy :unquag:)

@Dragonfree
I think you did a lovely job in these of centering and bringing out Kieran's issues while carefully making use of the structure of the music. I went and listened to and mapped out the different sections of all of his battle themes and was particularly tickled by noticing how the melody that forms the repeating chorus you that you chose to make about his obsession with strength is something that is just barely hinted at in his original battle theme, a small singular melodic phrase occurring once as a bridge that then becomes sort of the central theme of the Teal Mask final battle - a really appropriate choice to make it about this aspect of his character that always existed in him in the background but has become magnified into The Most Important Thing by the time of that final fight.
Yessss! I do think that, although that melody sounds pretty innocuous in the intro to Kieran's original battle theme, when it comes back at the end just before the song loops, it does sound just a little more sinister and desperate, a hint at the crushing inferiority complex and desire to prove himself bubbling under the surface that's going to cause Problems sooner or later down the line. (Which, of course, it has already started doing in the third and fourth battles that use this theme.)

But!!! Do you want even more fun facts about that particular section of his theme? It is very definitely intended to be the Kieran's Issues Leitmotif by the composers, not only because it's the one part that persists through all three of his battle themes and just keeps getting more intense, but, also!!!

...This is Kieran's overworld theme, used for when you're hanging out with him at the signboards and becoming friends (and distinctly not used at the third signboard when he knows you're lying to him). It's cute and soft and cosy and it's based off most of the melodies from his first battle theme - but not the section that we have deemed here to be about his issues.

Meanwhile, this is the other much more sinister Kieran theme used in certain cutscenes, specifically the ones where his behaviour is becoming Concerning(TM). (The title of that video implies it's just for him being mad that you lied, but it's used for more than that - it even comes back in Indigo Disk when he's ranting while pulling out Terapagos.) And this theme contains that familiar melody from the Issues Section, because of course it does!

(It also contains one other melody, based on the part from his second battle theme that I gave the lyrics "And don't think I'll be holding back either"/"I'm gonna show you just what I can do". I did not actually realise this when I wrote those lyrics, but that's somehow incredibly fitting, because the scenes this theme is used for also tend to have a running theme of Kieran trying to prove himself to you through battling. This little melody is still buried in there in his original battle theme too, but it's subtler and layered behind some more upbeat notes.)

What's really interesting to me, though, is that the part of the main Kieran's Issues Motif that's used in the cutscene theme is only the second melodic phrase of it, and not the first. Both phrases are similar enough that just the second one alone still immediately pings as yep, it's that part of the theme, but... hm. It feels like something's missing.

Where does the first melodic phrase come from? Guess where that's found: it's in Carmine's theme - both her overworld theme and subtly in the intro/just-before-looping section of her battle theme. Which is extremely neat!!! Not only does it link the two siblings' themes together and make them sound connected, but also it says a lot as to where a good amount of Kieran's inferiority complex and obsession with becoming stronger came from in the first place.

There's an interesting, and unsettling, conflict to these two sentiments. He wants to believe Ogerpon would choose him if he were the strongest - that it would simply be her free choice to go with him. But also that if he were stronger, no one would refuse him - he's so used to being trampled and dismissed and cast aside and has attributed that to not being strong enough, so it all becomes sort of a bit tangled up in his head with the idea that if he were stronger no one would refuse him. If that were truly the case, that would imply it's less Ogerpon choosing him and more that he has earned the right to be respected and she just would do it, right? He has to believe that he can earn that right somehow. And he repeats this to himself like a mantra, convincing himself it's the truth.
"Refuse" actually didn't quite entirely have the implications I originally wanted to go for here, but it was the most appropriate word I could find that rhymed with "choose". But on reflection I did think that the slightly Concerning implications of Kieran wanting nobody to refuse him ever again were pretty appropriate. And they turned out to be more appropriate that I could have intended in regards to his behaviour when he becomes champion, in which he's being demanding and condescending to the others in the League Club, and nobody can refuse his authority because he's stronger than any of them.

(I did briefly toy with "no-one would abuse me" instead, but that seemed a bit too on-the-nose, and even if one decided to describe what Kieran's been through as that, it's definitely not a word he'd use for it.)

Here's earning again - the battle is about earning this right, and everything depends on this, and he can't earn it unless he wins for real. (Enjoying imagining this is the timeline where Kieran won that first battle and he just immediately figured you were holding back.)
Bahaha, I honestly can't imagine there ever being a possible canon timeline in which you genuinely lose to Kieran's first battle and yet are still someone he'd end up idolising the way he does, because, let's be real, he is truly not very strong there, bless him. (Maybe if this was the non-postgame version and you were underlevelled, but in that timeline you would have struggled to grow stronger fast enough to outclass him in every subsequent battle.) Perhaps instead we can imagine it's a timeline where you took pity on this kid with just a Sentret and a Yanma, and deliberately used a not-very-effective move on Yanma to at least give him the chance to leave a dent in you, thus triggering his battle dialogue asking if you're holding back and saying he doesn't like that.

(But still, Kieran does have canon dialogue in this final battle demanding you don't hold back, regardless of what happened in the earlier fights.)

Although they're mostly quite different, I like how both the Teal Mask and Indigo Disk final Kieran battles have a fairly dark/tense tone for the most part (especially the latter, of course), but they both share this one section/verse that feels a bit less tense, looking upward a bit, and it feels very appropriate that in both sets of lyrics you use these sections to let Kieran get just a little into some of the more genuine roots of what drives him: his admiration of Ogrepon and desire to be friends with her and then his desire to have the courage to stand up for himself, in this one. But both times that verse ends with him coming back to the idea that he needs to get stronger...
Yep! It just felt like it fit the mood of the music to have him get introspective in this section in the first theme, and then when that same section was reprised in the champion theme, I just figured, welp, better do the same thing there too. (And then the line about getting stronger got reprised with such a twisted desperate riff and it could not have been more perfect.)

This is such a fun progression of the mantra. Starting with confidence - I'm going to win - but then it turns into I've got to win (which plausibly deniably could mean "This has got to be the time I win, right?" but is tinged with this increased desperation (those added violins) as it inches towards what it really means: "I need to win this time." He needs this so badly and that initial measured confidence is already on the verge of breaking.
That opening part really was just musically designed for a Desperate Repetitive Mantra, even more so than the equivalent part from the previous song. Just keeps repeating exactly the same rhythm for two very similar melodic phrases over and over, with increasing intensity on the second verse, and then the very final line shifts the melody up into some higher notes for maximum desperation. This was the easiest part of this song to write by far.

There's such a dramatic, almost pipe-organ-like quality to the guitars of this section. I like the sense that while it starts with this tense repetitive inner monologue, this is him speaking to you, with this sense of finality, establishing the stakes of this fight. Everything is riding on this, all his choices will be worth it, all his efforts for one purpose. Everything just comes down to this, to proving he isn't doomed to be forever inferior to you.
Yes! "Pipe-organ-like" is a strange but very fitting way to describe the vibe this section gives me! (Now I want to hear it remixed with actual pipe organs here.) I really wanted to use this section to get across that drama and gravity and the sense that this one battle is everything to him

And that, of course, takes us back to the motivation section again, which has now grown incoherent guitar riffs, those times are definitely over and done, he had to get stronger and he did, he did

(This is another bit where I admit I have some trouble placing where you're putting the words against the melody, what with rapid chaotic guitar riffs! Would love to hear more on what you're thinking here, too.)
definitely The Most over and done, right, and good thing, too, good riddance to that weakling he used to be

(I... do not blame you for getting confused on fitting the lyrics here, this was the trickiest part to write for, especially the "everything" lines, took me a While to figure out where the syllables even were in that riff. Really not sure how to explain it in text, though, alas.)

And we're back to the section that calls back to the opening of your very first battle with him. He's not that kid from Kitakami, indeed, even as we reprise the melody of when you got to know that kid from Kitakami. There's a very fun irony to the fact he insists on how he needed to change himself to the melody of the one bit that hasn't changed.
THIS WASN'T EVEN ON PURPOSE OF ME WHAT, oh my god. I just wanted to put a bit about him having changed himself in somewhere, and it ended up going here because the other parts of the song had been filled out with different things, and it did not even occur to me that I was literally putting the part about him changing himself in the one bit of melody that's always stayed the same, that is so unintentionally PERFECT, AAAAA. thank you for bringing this to my attention

With these "Issues Sections" in this champion theme, my original intent was to do something very similar to what I did with them in the final Kitakami theme and make them focused on him comparing himself to you and how much stronger you are. Except, whoops, that's kind of just the theme of the entire thing this time around, so I couldn't really make these sections focus specifically on that.

Instead, what they kind of ended up having in common this time is... sort of a sense of bleakness and despair? It's pretty damn tragic that he's changed himself into someone completely different, someone impossible to be friends with, and just telling himself that's okay because he never had any friends anyway - and similarly, the idea that beating you is all he has left, and he doesn't even truly believe it's possible or that he's ready to do so but he has to keep pretending anyway because there's nothing else he can do. He really has just trapped himself in this awful state of toxic, unwinnable, self-destructive misery with no way out.

Something about the different vibe of this section here compared to the equivalent section in the previous themes seemed to fit that. It's the same melody, but in the first two themes there was a sense of urgency and determination to it, whereas here it just sounds bleak and almost sort of exhausted, like he's just dragging himself through it all.

Love the frustration of this bit and how well it conveys that he's struggling. The little reference to the line about how even luck has chosen you, Even if I'm left wide open probably referring to his Porygon-Z's Hyper Beam. The Can't you see how hard I'm going, can't you tell that I've been throwing everything I have at you is so revealing as well - he feels like he's earned this, hasn't he earned this?
This dramatic ""pipe organ"" section halfway through the song felt like it'd be most appropriate for bringing things back into the present, the current state of the battle and how it's going for him, which, yes: not nearly as well as he'd been trying to imagine, oh dear. I was more thinking about how an unexpected critical hit might have ruined his strategy and left him open there, but Hyper Beam definitely also works for it, lmao.

The latter part is also referencing a bit of in-battle dialogue, as he sends out his final Pokémon: "Just go down already! How are you still standing after I've thrown everything I have at you?!", which I enjoy a lot and very much wanted to include here in some form.

The bright section again! He's legitimately impressed and in awe, admires the confidence and fearlessness and freedom he sees in you because they're things he so wishes he had (just like his admiration of Ogerpon herself), admires the bond that you have with her -- but then, again, those thoughts twist into but I'll never have that, and into wild anger.
And remember that thing I mentioned in my Discord thread - this uplifting section is loosely based off the Tera Raid battle theme, which, I have determined, is more meaningfully interpreted as being the player character's theme - this is him admiring you and wishing he could be as cool as you. (Which was not a thing I had figured out when I wrote these lyrics but oh boy is it appropriate.)

And final original battle opening callback as he returns to the one thing he's left with being proving he can beat you. It all comes down to battling you, like that first time. (Still enjoy how he refers to it as a mask. Fun to think of it in the context of what you posted in the Discord thread today, too, regarding how he puts on this expressionless mask when he Terastalizes his Pokémon.)
Heh, speaking of this other thing I mentioned in the Discord thread (about him putting up an expressionless mask while Terastalising to avoid wincing from the force of it) - the lines from this song it actually made me think of were "The blinding dazzle of your Pokémon/With you behind them, self-assured and fearless and free". You are one of the only trainers who can look straight at the dazzling light of your Tera Orb without flinching and being blinded by such incredible power, because you're strong enough to match it, while all Kieran can do is pretend. (And, though I didn't have that in particular in mind at the time, I was thinking when I wrote the line that the "blinding dazzle" could potentially be literal as well as metaphorical, as you might have Terastalised something by this point in the battle.)

Really wish I could hear these sung, especially if it were by someone who could really put the emotional punch into it. The Boy has so many issues and he should Sing them.
Ughhh, me too. If only I could sing/voice act well enough/had decent audio-recording software/audio editing skills/had an appropriate-sounding voice. Alas.

(I would not be surprised if Juno Songs, the person who did the lyrics for the first battle theme that inspired me to try this myself, is currently working on some for this champion theme. Of course, if they do, it'll be different lyrics from these, but I'm sure the result will still be Very Very Good voice-acting-wise.)

Last edited:

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, back for the other half of this. I was running a bit low on time and energy tonight and recently notched a playthrough of Kieran’s BB League battle under my belt, so it felt like as good a reason to check this out.

1105356025936228434.webp

I mean, in his defense, Kieran and the BB League as a whole was a significant step up in difficulty from everything earlier in the game, so I can certainly understand why he thought that as its Champion. Though, yeah. Kinda a fait accompli there.

Though the hovertext was genuinely helpful for getting a feel for the lyrical pacing, and I wound up finding myself singing along at a couple points. I’m not sure how long it took you to map this all out together, but it’s very well-done.

994427253242990704.webp

I mean, if nothing else, you can’t say that it’s not very true to Kieran’s character for that point in ID. Since he arguably initially took things worse from his loss as the BB League Champion considering how his immediate impulse after Ms. Briar pulled us aside for the post-battle orientation was “Yeah, Imma catch that Legendary. I need it.”

—You kept me waiting​
Don’t tell me you’re hesitating​
Everybody’s eyes are on us​
Everything is riding on this​

Yeah, that entire battle just filled me with quiet dread about how things were going to go at the aftermath given that Kieran was adamant he was going to defeat the protagonist at that point, and half of BB Academy came out to see how things would turn out. Like it just screamed that Kieran wasn’t going to take things well with how much he had gotten wrapped up in a quest to grow stronger by that point.

All my choices will be worth it​
All my efforts for one purpose:​
Proving who’s the strongest of us​
Right here and now!​

Now I’m reminded of how genuinely startling it was to discover that Kieran literally had no Pokémon carry over from his Teal Mask team. Not even his Yanmega ace. Like mechanically, it’s great for catching players off-guard in the rematch, but boy does it have some dark implications about he either dumped his entire team off on his grandpa if not outright boxed/released them for the entire summer post-Teal Mask to go and grind up a new team for the specific purpose of becoming the new king of the hill.
1105356025936228434.webp

The thrill of battle with my Pokémon​
Now I’ve found what it takes to climb the ranks, and ascend​
In the spotlight, I’ve reached number one​
Earned the respect of all my peers, but still, in the end…​

It’s all useless if I don’t defeat you​
Training, training, all that training…!​
How could you ever know?!​
Through what I’ve had to go?!​
Over and over and over again…!​

I mean, considering how once upon a time, I had a brief stint playing competitively and went through the motions of breeding and EV farming… uh… yeah, I can only imagine how much of a fun suck that would be to attempt to ram through some real-life analogue to that in the span of a few months.

Back before all this started, I was no-one​
Used to be pathetic and weak; good thing those times are over and done​

Everything I couldn’t do,​
everything I couldn’t be,​
everything in my way​
I got the picture from what happened; it proved to me, I​
for all that to finally end!​

Er… yeah, Kieran was basically on a glide path to becoming an outright series villain by the time we took him on in the BB League, huh? Since there’s a general track record for where characters with this level of obsession for their goals wind up in the franchise, and it’s really not positive.
699082306027126844.webp

Knew that to achieve it, I would need to change me​
See how much I did; I’m not that kid from Kitakami​
Didn’t even matter that it would estrange me​
Had no-one already; not like it could further harm me​

Bruh, I tried to apologize to you. I mean, yeah, the plot railroaded things anyways, but I at least made an attempt.
884646573487820852.webp

Ah yes, the part where the battle starts turning in the protagonist’s favor, which if you went into Kieran’s battle thinking that it’d be a tougher version of his Kitakami fight… yeah, it took a while to find that footing.

—I won’t stop trying!​
Gotta keep intensifying​
Even with who luck has chosen​
Even if I’m left wide open​

Can’t you see how hard I’m going?​
Can’t you tell that I’ve been throwing​
Everything I have at you​
Why won’t you go down?!​

Boy does this hit different considering how in my battle with Kieran, I was actually falling behind against him up until my final two Pokémon, which were my Starter Skeledirge which he didn’t pick off before it picked up +3 SpA and…

The blinding dazzle of your Pokémon​
With you behind them, self-assured and fearless and free​
See you wield the strength of Ogerpon​
The two of you in sync so well, like I’ll never be​

Yeah, her. Who basically carried the entire team to victory and I had only brought along in the first place since I’d gotten spoiled that Kieran apparently had dialogue specific to fielding Ogerpon in one’s party, which was…

Takes some nerve to bring her out right now, it’s​
Not fair, not fair, it’s just not fair…!​
You’d never understand!​
You with the world in hand!​
Just rub it in, rub it in, why don’t you…?!​

Basically that, and caught me off-guard since it was the first real point where Kieran starts to get perceptibly unhinged in that battle and make it obvious that he’s doing well™ inside. In my particular playthrough, it wasn’t hard to imagine Kieran getting mentally thrown from his game after seeing Ogerpon opposing him since… yeah, things went from 4-2 in his favor at my lowest point to a loss for him.

I have looked up to you so much for so long​
Back when I was so small and weak, you showed me what it means to be strong​

Literally, even. Since if my memory serves me right, Kieran’s character model is shorter than the PC’s

Everything that you could do,​
everything that you could be,​
everything that I want​
But it was spelled out by what happened: compared to me, you​
that no way we’d ever be friends!​

Well, we’ll see since I’m still going through the Area Zero underdepths at the moment, but… yeah, the time immediately following the Championship match genuinely made it seem like it’d be hard to ever reconcile, not that Drayton casually swooping in with drive-by jabs and pointed reminders of Kieran’s ex-champion status really made things better. ^^;

Just one thing I’m left with: proving I can beat you​
Seemed so out of reach yet had to find a way to make it​
Maybe wasn’t ready; didn’t think I’d meet you​
Nothing I could do but keep the mask in place and fake it​

1105356025936228434.webp

I won’t just lose again​
I won’t just lose again​
I won’t just lose again​
I won’t just lose again​

I can’t just lose again​
I can’t just lose again​
I can’t just lose again​
What if I lose again…?!

I mean, you probably shouldn’t have let my Skeledirge use Torch Song three times in a row, then, just saying. You even had Grimmsnarl out at the end and could’ve picked him apart if you’d rocked Foul Play instead of opting for Sucker Punch’s priority. ^^;

Well that was an experience, if one that made me
994427253242990704.webp
a lot throughout it. Like I admittedly usually am not too attached to canonical characters since their personalities and motivations are often a bit on the “cardboard cutout” side of things, but you did a really good job of breathing Kieran to life in these lyrics, and in a way that feels very true to how he’s presented in official media.

I… honestly can’t think of any real criticisms for this second part of your songfic, especially since now it’s a lot easier to figure out how the lyrics and melody link up with each other. Maybe the stanzas with the note-skipping might have been interesting to see done without any skips, but that’s hardly a trivial ask to make when just what’s there surely took a while to line up just right with the music, and it does so really well.

Kudos @elyvorg . I don’t know if you have any interest in getting back into the world of Pokémon fanfiction, but I hope that this isn’t the last we’ve heard from your take on Kieran, since boy is it a lot of fun to see in action. If in a very
796783072397623326.webp
sort of way thus far. Seriously, cut the kid a break sometime!

Last edited:

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
@Spiteful Murkrow Thanks for checking out the second one, and I'm glad the timestamps helped and even got you singing along in parts! Feel free to revisit the first song with the new timestamps if you feel like a bit of a singalong there, too =D

I mean, if nothing else, you can’t say that it’s not very true to Kieran’s character for that point in ID. Since he arguably initially took things worse from his loss as the BB League Champion considering how his immediate impulse after Ms. Briar pulled us aside for the post-battle orientation was “Yeah, Imma catch that Legendary. I need it.”
And never mind him clinging to catching Terapagos, there's also the part where he half-collapsed after the battle, pretty much emotionally bluescreened for a little bit, and then started mumbling incoherently about winning next time. Definitely a very normal and healthy response to losing, this kid is Fine(TM)

Now I’m reminded of how genuinely startling it was to discover that Kieran literally had no Pokémon carry over from his Teal Mask team. Not even his Yanmega ace. Like mechanically, it’s great for catching players off-guard in the rematch, but boy does it have some dark implications about he either dumped his entire team off on his grandpa if not outright boxed/released them for the entire summer post-Teal Mask to go and grind up a new team for the specific purpose of becoming the new king of the hill.
1105356025936228434.webp
Not quite none - his Dipplin is still here, now fully evolved! Which says something about the fact that he probably only kept it around because he knew it could evolve again and therefore had more strength to show him, whereas the rest of his team had already given it everything they had and just weren't strong enough.

Still, though I myself was expecting him to have ditched at least a few of his old team, given he'd shown precedent for kicking Pokémon off the team for not being strong enough already (poor Furret!!!), I was indeed surprised to see no-one sticking around except Hydrapple, not even the Gliscor that gave me such trouble in his final Kitakami fight. (I brought my Chien-Pao to deal with the expected Gliscor and Hydrapple-that-I-thought-would-just-Grass-Tera, and uh, well, it sure was convenient for me that his new team contained a Dragonite. :copyka:)

Er… yeah, Kieran was basically on a glide path to becoming an outright series villain by the time we took him on in the BB League, huh? Since there’s a general track record for where characters with this level of obsession for their goals wind up in the franchise, and it’s really not positive.
699082306027126844.webp
He really isn't actually a villain, though! His motives may grow concerningly similar to those of a villain at the peak of his arc, but he never actually does anything villainous at all. Even wanting to catch Terapagos is just an act of desperation rather than outright villainy, since literally all he wants it for is to beat you in a Pokémon battle.

Bruh, I tried to apologize to you. I mean, yeah, the plot railroaded things anyways, but I at least made an attempt.
884646573487820852.webp
It wasn't even really the plot railroading things so much as Kieran's issues causing him to gloss over your attempted apology and stay convinced that obviously you never really meant it about being his friend. Why would someone as strong and cool as you ever want to be friends with someone weak like him?

(And it's double painful that apparently the player character themselves is completely oblivious to this, what with how when you're asked early on in Indigo Disk if Kieran's your friend, your possible answers are yes and yes.)

Boy does this hit different considering how in my battle with Kieran, I was actually falling behind against him up until my final two Pokémon, which were my Starter Skeledirge which he didn’t pick off before it picked up +3 SpA and…
Haha, nice. While in a technical sense that's just the luck of what his AI chose to attack, in-universe we can imagine it's because he's not from Paldea and he doesn't know how Torch Song works. He probably just thought you got lucky, then extremely lucky, then... oh it just does that every time doesn't it, whoops, too late :unquag:

Yeah, her. Who basically carried the entire team to victory and I had only brought along in the first place since I’d gotten spoiled that Kieran apparently had dialogue specific to fielding Ogerpon in one’s party, which was…
Bahaha, it is delightfully fitting to think that in your case you might not have won that attempt if you hadn't had Ogerpon on your team. You really did win precisely because Ogerpon chose you over him. I'm sure he feels Some Kind Of Way about that. :copyka:

Basically that, and caught me off-guard since it was the first real point where Kieran starts to get perceptibly unhinged in that battle and make it obvious that he’s doing well™ inside. In my particular playthrough, it wasn’t hard to imagine Kieran getting mentally thrown from his game after seeing Ogerpon opposing him since… yeah, things went from 4-2 in his favor at my lowest point to a loss for him.
Oh, Kieran's pretty clearly unhinged and Very Definitely Doing Fine(TM) for the entire fight, in my opinion. Did you ever land a critical hit on him? His response to that is also rather unhinged: "Even luck's chosen you over me... It's not fair! It's JUST NOT FAIR!!!" - and I just had to put a couple of lines in the song alluding to that dialogue, too.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed hearing your account of how the battle went in your playthrough. Sounds like Kieran really must have thought he had you there! until whoops, here's Ogerpon, nope he does Not have this at all actually. :unquag:

Literally, even. Since if my memory serves me right, Kieran’s character model is shorter than the PC’s
Hm, I thought you and he were the same height! If you are taller than him, then it's only by a tiny bit. He has to physically look up to you significantly less than all of the other people around him such as his sister and the E4, and yet,

I mean, you probably shouldn’t have let my Skeledirge use Torch Song three times in a row, then, just saying. You even had Grimmsnarl out at the end and could’ve picked him apart if you’d rocked Foul Play instead of opting for Sucker Punch’s priority. ^^;
That wouldn't have worked! Foul Play is a physical attack, so it wouldn't have drawn off Skeledirge's boosted Sp.Atk. Even if he'd had access to both moves, Sucker Punch would almost certainly have done more damage.

Like I admittedly usually am not too attached to canonical characters since their personalities and motivations are often a bit on the “cardboard cutout” side of things, but you did a really good job of breathing Kieran to life in these lyrics, and in a way that feels very true to how he’s presented in official media.
See, I generally feel pretty much the same way about Pokémon canon characters! Even some of the better recent ones like the Paldea main trio, I'm fond of them but don't quite find them nuanced enough to latch onto to the point that I'd want to write them or explore them further.

But Kieran is on a whole other level. I'm not the one who breathed that life into him through these lyrics, I assure you - every bit of character nuance I'm implying here is something that is absolutely present and intended by the writers in the canon game. All I did was take what was there and adapt it into a different form. I am equal parts boggled and delighted that mainline Pokémon character writing has finally reached this point, because I honestly never expected I would be this fixated on a Pokémon canon character, like, ever. Please more Kieran-tier characters in future, Game Freak writers, I would be so happy.

Early Kitakami Battles

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
Whoops, I’m still not done writing lyrics for Kieran’s battle music, apparently! I hadn’t yet written any for his original battle theme, after all. While I don’t want to overlap with the work of the person who inspired me to do this, so I’m going to leave that emotionally-intense fourth battle alone, there’s still some potential inherent in Kieran’s mindset around the time of the first couple of battles with him, when he’s still just a sweet shy excitable kid before everything goes horribly wrong. That side of him is, after all, what I believe the first battle theme was composed to represent, in terms of its mood.

(The title I gave this thread really doesn’t fit here, lmao, but oh well.)

So here’s your link to said theme! The first two lines here start at 0:01, then there’s a break of a few instrumental bars before the next verse begins. Again, more detailed timestamps and notes are in the hovertext at the beginning of the verses if you need them.

~~~​

Can’t believe I battled you, who beat my Sis! she​
Says I’m near as strong as her, but I dunno about that…​
Lo-Looks like she! thinks I oughta pair with you, no matter what I say​
S’that okay…?​
(I’ll just keep out your way…)​
O-Our legend’s! s’posed to praise the Loyal Three; my favourite’s the ogre​
Most folks find it scary, but I think it’s cool—​
Because…! Because…! Because…! You see…! (Don’t you?)​
Wowzers!
The way it fought ‘em one-on-three and it held its own!​
I mean, wowzers!​
And how it doesn’t even care​
that people shun it an’ it’s all alone​
It's so strong and cool, it’s kinda like my hero​
Wish I could be more like that, ever since I was little​
Not ready to meet it while I’m still a zero​
If I could get stronger, then one day just maybe it’ll…​
A-Anyway, that’s! why I think the ogre’s cooler than the Loyal Three​
Don’t you see?​
(Or is it still just me?)​
I-I guess it’s! not so bad you paired with me; maybe I can do this​
Talkin’ to new people, and someone like you—​
Hold up…! Hold up…! Hold up…! You said…?! (No way—)​
Wowzers!
You’re really sayin’ that you think of me as a friend?!​
I mean, wowzers!​
‘Cause that’d be so cool to me​
but do ya really mean it on your end?​
You’re so strong, I can’t believe I got to meet you​
If the ogre saw you, it’d think that you were somethin’​
Dunno how I’m ever, ever gonna beat you​
Tried at getting stronger; ‘course it all came out to nothin’​

~~~​

Thanks again if you checked this out! And watch this space, because I have one more set of lyrics I’m working on to cap off Kieran’s emotional arc, since I played the epilogue and his postgame content and was filled with so many warm and happy feelings about my boy.

(Or, if you came to this post to read these in order, you can jump back to the first post now and continue from there!)

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
It's one-shot week so not on theme but shush, I want my fill of elyvorg Kieran content

Can’t believe I battled you, who beat my Sis! she
Says I’m near as strong as her, but I dunno about that…
As you pointed out, the opening version of this verse in his original theme is quite bright and just sort of a light intro to Him Battling You... but then, just after he brushes past the bit about how he doesn't think he's very strong, we get the bridge with the little hint towards the melodic phrase that's about his obsession with strength, and you make a really fun choice to just make that silent here, as he's not voicing any of that to you yet! Very neat way of handling it, and also feels pretty natural since it's just a brief bridge and all.

Lo-Looks like she! thinks I oughta pair with you, no matter what I say
S’that okay…?
(I’ll just keep out your way…)
Really enjoy how you make the xylophone into stammering - very appropriate for his character and also fits the vibe of these rapid, stuttery notes very well!

You really bring out his Kitakami accent here, too, which is extremely appropriate considering that's something he suppressed in his obsession with masking everything that makes people not respect him, and underlines the contrast between his cheerful self here and the later lyrics.

Because…! Because…! Because…! You see…! (Don’t you?)

Wowzers!
The way it fought ‘em one-on-three and it held its own!
I mean, wowzers!
And how it doesn’t even care
that people shun it an’ it’s all alone
Love the way this brings out his voice in his telling of why the ogre is cool (simply very faithful to his canon dialogue, of course), and what a very appropriate bit of melody you chose for "Wowzers!" That's a wowzers if I ever heard one.

It's so strong and cool, it’s kinda like my hero
Wish I could be more like that, ever since I was little
Not ready to meet it while I’m still a zero
If I could get stronger, then one day just maybe it’ll…
The opening verse again, only darker and more tense, as you mentioned! Very much an echo of (or rather, a predecessor of) the analogous verses in the other sets of lyrics - admiring the ogre as a hero, where later he'll speak of you as swooping in like a hero, a new role model of strength. And again, we lead into the melodic phrase about his strength obsession with a line suggesting it that then trails off!

A-Anyway, that’s! why I think the ogre’s cooler than the Loyal Three
Don’t you see?
(Or is it still just me?)

I-I guess it’s! not so bad you paired with me; maybe I can do this
Talkin’ to new people, and someone like you—
Aww, his insecurity, still compulsively worrying maybe you don't see at all and he's alone. And yet, being with you is giving him some confidence, and then...

Hold up…! Hold up…! Hold up…! You said…?! (No way—)

Wowzers!
You’re really sayin’ that you think of me as a friend?!
I mean, wowzers!
‘Cause that’d be so cool to me
but do ya really mean it on your end?
He's so amazed and surprised and still worried you don't mean it, poor friendless kid. (And good choice of second thing for him to Wowzers about, of course.)

You’re so strong, I can’t believe I got to meet you
If the ogre saw you, it’d think that you were somethin’
Dunno how I’m ever, ever gonna beat you
Tried at getting stronger; ‘course it all came out to nothin’
And the final iteration of this verse, just planting the seeds of him going from just "Can't believe I battled you" to "How am I ever going to beat you", beginning to build that crippling inferiority complex. (And of course we end on him thinking about getting stronger again just before we go back to the recurring strength issues phrase.)

Even though Kieran's not having as many issues at this point in time as in the latter two, these lyrics are just as fun - lovely foreshadowing and hints and seeds for what's to come, but also that aching contrast between his pure-hearted excitement here about the ogre and you, and his regional accent and stammering and dorky verbal tics, compared to what he becomes later. Excellent job on just conveying voice and character here. I bet the final set of lyrics is going to call back to these in a really lovely way.

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Oh hey, you came up with another of these sets of lyrics. Well, the last two were a blast, so that sounds like as good a reason as any to drop in and check things out… ^^

Can’t believe I battled you, who beat my Sis! she​
Says I’m near as strong as her, but I dunno about that…​

Yeeeeeah, Kieran really did overtake Carmine quite quickly in-story, didn’t he, huh? Boy is that different compared to how he winds up in Indigo Disk.

Lo-Looks like she! thinks I oughta pair with you, no matter what I say​
S’that okay…?​
(I’ll just keep out your way…)​

I mean, if there was one silver lining to Kieran’s whole episode slipping into his “I must grow stronger” phase, it’s that he seems to have lost wallflower tendencies from it as a result. Probably. Maybe. I haven’t gotten to the Epilogue yet, so maybe he reverted back to it.

O-Our legend’s! s’posed to praise the Loyal Three; my favourite’s the ogre​
Most folks find it scary, but I think it’s cool—​

Because…! Because…! Because…! You see…! (Don’t you?)​

Well, obviously given that the game canonically assumes we join up with Ogerpon and even codes dialogue for battles with her on the field. Even if I doubt it’s likely anywhere to the same degree as with Kieran.

Wowzers!
The way it fought ‘em one-on-three and it held its own!​
I mean, wowzers!​
And how it doesn’t even care​
that people shun it an’ it’s all alone​

It's so strong and cool, it’s kinda like my hero​
Wish I could be more like that, ever since I was little​
Not ready to meet it while I’m still a zero​
If I could get stronger, then one day just maybe it’ll…​

Yeah, in retrospect, I suppose that there were always warning signs lingering around that Kieran had lurking issues as a character. Like the story doesn’t really play up how his family’s basically learned through generations of shunning by the rest of the village to keep a deep and dark secret about its heroes to themselves, but it’s really [uhhh] when you stop and think about it and how that sense of isolation might have put Kieran on a glide path towards wanting respect and chasing the easiest way in-setting for him to get it.

A-Anyway, that’s! why I think the ogre’s cooler than the Loyal Three​
Don’t you see?​
(Or is it still just me?)​

I mean, it helps that Ogerpon literally has the more visually appealing design compared to any of the Loyal Three, so…
701429736290910228.webp

I-I guess it’s! not so bad you paired with me; maybe I can do this​
Talkin’ to new people, and someone like you—​

Hold up…! Hold up…! Hold up…! You said…?! (No way—)​

Wowzers!
You’re really sayin’ that you think of me as a friend?!​
I mean, wowzers!​
‘Cause that’d be so cool to me​
but do ya really mean it on your end?​

Annnnnd then we proceeded to grenade it for one and a half DLCs by playing along with a really, really poorly thought-out attempt to hide an unpleasant truth from Kieran that tipped him into the insecurity spiral that we all know about. Brilliant scenario writing there, Game Freak.

You’re so strong, I can’t believe I got to meet you​
If the ogre saw you, it’d think that you were somethin’​
Dunno how I’m ever, ever gonna beat you​
Tried at getting stronger; ‘course it all came out to nothin’​

F-dMx-mXMAA2ZSd.jpg

Even if he still gave me a good run for the money in Indigo Disk.

Boy is that a throwback, and definitely quite the contrast to the other mixes of Kieran’s theme where it’s significantly more lighthearted and bouncy, which also reflects in the lyrics. They’re a bit shorter, but they do a really good job both at capturing Kieran’s general demeanor early on in Teal Mask while also foreshadowing little bits about himself that lead him down the character arc he goes through in the DLCs.

I only have two real criticisms about these lyrics, the first is that I kinda wish that they were a bit longer to better parallel the Part 1 and Part 2 of the series, though I understand that setting lyrics to melodies isn’t exactly a trivial process, so it’s a bit hard to really complain about the product, especially when it turned out as well as it did. The other small quibble that I have is that while the ordering of the different parts of this series is probably a fait accompli by virtue of when they were thought up and posted, you can technically tip off readers as to the intended order of reading the different parts by shuffling the threadmarks around since those can actually be put in an arbitrary order (and I did something similar with an extra I wrote for my Dragonspiral’s Children’s rewrite that was chronologically set in the middle of the plot in spite of being thought up over a year after the story’s main run ended).

Kudos again for bumping this series, @elyvorg . I’m not fully sure what you’ve got in mind for this part 4 you’ve got cooking up behind the scenes, but if it’s anything like these three, I’m sure it’ll be a blast to read and sing along with. ^^

Last edited:

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
@Dragonfree
As you pointed out, the opening version of this verse in his original theme is quite bright and just sort of a light intro to Him Battling You... but then, just after he brushes past the bit about how he doesn't think he's very strong, we get the bridge with the little hint towards the melodic phrase that's about his obsession with strength, and you make a really fun choice to just make that silent here, as he's not voicing any of that to you yet! Very neat way of handling it, and also feels pretty natural since it's just a brief bridge and all.
Aaand time for another round of I Genuinely Didn't Intend This!

...Turns out, when you talked about "that melody I'd made about his obsession with strength" last post, and I launched into a spiel about the other pieces of music "that" motif came from, I'd completely misunderstood which part you meant! I thought you'd meant the section that never changes throughout all three songs and always forms the final verse (and the opening in this one). I did not realise until rereading your last review recently - sometime after posting this song - that actually you meant a totally different part here, the part that I'd written with "If I'm the strongest" (Ogerpon will choose me) in the final Kitakami song. I hadn't noticed that there's a subtle hint of that melody there in the bridge section of this song! So, again, completely unintentional that there's this meaning you can read into it here (I only even left it empty at all because it just sounded like something that should be a brief instrumental section).

But, well, the bridge section does always come after the never-changing Issues Section which I always deliberately made about Kieran's desire for or lack of strength in some way, so that's why it coincidentally ended up feeling like it was alluding to this each time.

Most of what I was thinking about for these two intro lines were what I'd mentioned last post, about where each of the two melodic phrases of the Issues Section came from - that the second one is from the cutscene theme about Kieran's issues, but the first one is from Carmine's theme. So I thought it'd be fun to have just one bit that very directly referenced this fact by having the first line be about his sister and the second line be about him when compared to her.

Really enjoy how you make the xylophone into stammering - very appropriate for his character and also fits the vibe of these rapid, stuttery notes very well!
I'm really pleased with how I hit upon the stammering for the xylophone bits! It's the one distinct part of this melody in this song that sets it apart from the same melody in the final Kitakami song, and I wanted to do something fun with that that highlighted the difference in his character between the two songs.

Love the way this brings out his voice in his telling of why the ogre is cool (simply very faithful to his canon dialogue, of course), and what a very appropriate bit of melody you chose for "Wowzers!" That's a wowzers if I ever heard one.
I knew this section had to be the "Wowzers" chorus right away! It's the only section of this theme that isn't there in any form in either of his other themes, which means it has to represent the part of Kieran's character that stops being there in those later, more issuey battles - and of course, that'd be his pure, untainted excitement and awe over things he finds cool. Conveniently, this section of melody just came with a bit that fit perfectly with a "Wowzers!" over it. Then I fumbled over what on earth would even rhyme with that (and no, brain, "Bowser's" is not it), realised there is no good rhyme here, and figured, "what if he just... wowzersed again, but like, even harder". This precious kid. :veelove:

The opening verse again, only darker and more tense, as you mentioned! Very much an echo of (or rather, a predecessor of) the analogous verses in the other sets of lyrics - admiring the ogre as a hero, where later he'll speak of you as swooping in like a hero, a new role model of strength. And again, we lead into the melodic phrase about his strength obsession with a line suggesting it that then trails off!
Yep, I wanted to do a few retroactive parallels here; this is the Issues Section, after all! This time it very much did work with me making it once again about him comparing himself unfavourably to Stronger People - first his sister, then the ogre, then you. And being able to re-use the exact same rhyming couplets but with different stuff around them is a fun way to draw an immediate comparison between two different versions of the same verse!

Aww, his insecurity, still compulsively worrying maybe you don't see at all and he's alone. And yet, being with you is giving him some confidence, and then...
He so desperately wants someone who gets it about why he loves the ogre, because he's always felt outcast for that on top of everything else, and surely you must get it because you're just as strong and cool yourself...!

He's so amazed and surprised and still worried you don't mean it, poor friendless kid. (And good choice of second thing for him to Wowzers about, of course.)
the most Wowzersable thing possible, that someone as cool as you actually wants to be friends with him, what?!?! That worry that you can't really mean it definitely isn't going to come back in a big way once you lie to him or anything :unquag:

And the final iteration of this verse, just planting the seeds of him going from just "Can't believe I battled you" to "How am I ever going to beat you", beginning to build that crippling inferiority complex. (And of course we end on him thinking about getting stronger again just before we go back to the recurring strength issues phrase.)
Yep, he really does have a canon line after this second battle in which he's wondering how he's ever gonna be able to beat you, which shouldn't be the point, Kieran! :sadwott: And of course, if he couldn't beat you, then his efforts to get stronger all amounted to nothing, right, it's not like he actually did truly get a little bit stronger anyway even if he still can't match you.

Even though Kieran's not having as many issues at this point in time as in the latter two, these lyrics are just as fun - lovely foreshadowing and hints and seeds for what's to come, but also that aching contrast between his pure-hearted excitement here about the ogre and you, and his regional accent and stammering and dorky verbal tics, compared to what he becomes later. Excellent job on just conveying voice and character here. I bet the final set of lyrics is going to call back to these in a really lovely way.
:veelove: I definitely tried to get across the precious excitable kid he is that this first song is musically representing, as well as putting the pieces in place for his Issues to explode in a big way once things go south!

@Spiteful Murkrow Oh, hey, thanks for another tip! I'd been meaning to ask in the Discord if there was any way to re-order threadmarks, but you saved me the need to do so. (though dang, the button for doing so sure was a pain to find even when I knew it had to exist somewhere)

I mean, if there was one silver lining to Kieran’s whole episode slipping into his “I must grow stronger” phase, it’s that he seems to have lost wallflower tendencies from it as a result. Probably. Maybe. I haven’t gotten to the Epilogue yet, so maybe he reverted back to it.
I guess you'll see! :quag: That was certainly the one way in which he actually did need to grow and change a bit from the person he was at the beginning.

Well, obviously given that the game canonically assumes we join up with Ogerpon and even codes dialogue for battles with her on the field. Even if I doubt it’s likely anywhere to the same degree as with Kieran.
Ah, but we end up liking Ogerpon because we spend time with her, helping her out and befriending her. As to whether we see what Kieran's getting at about the ogre being cool purely based on the signboards' story is another matter...

Yeah, in retrospect, I suppose that there were always warning signs lingering around that Kieran had lurking issues as a character. Like the story doesn’t really play up how his family’s basically learned through generations of shunning by the rest of the village to keep a deep and dark secret about its heroes to themselves, but it’s really [uhhh] when you stop and think about it and how that sense of isolation might have put Kieran on a glide path towards wanting respect and chasing the easiest way in-setting for him to get it.
It's not even necessarily about his family's isolation, since Kieran never knew his grandpa was keeping the secret about the real truth. He'd intuited that the ogre wasn't bad entirely on his own, most likely because he felt lonely and isolated anyway and projected that onto this story of the ogre, even though he had nothing to go on except what the signboards said about it.

And yeah, it sure is a thing that in this Pokémon world, everyone just conflates being strong and respected with "being good at Pokémon battles", isn't it. :unquag: Becoming the strongest battler will definitely fix all of his problems, right???

Annnnnd then we proceeded to grenade it for one and a half DLCs by playing along with a really, really poorly thought-out attempt to hide an unpleasant truth from Kieran that tipped him into the insecurity spiral that we all know about. Brilliant scenario writing there, Game Freak.
Womp womp. :unquag: In fairness, it seems like it is a deliberate writing decision that both Carmine and the player character (regardless of how you the player feel about it) are extremely socially oblivious to the point that they genuinely don't realise lying to Kieran will quite obviously do more harm than good in the long run.

"That's the neat thing. You don't."

Even if he still gave me a good run for the money in Indigo Disk.
Oh, but doesn't he? Ever? You might find that one day, it will in fact be possible for him to sometimes beat you in a battle and have that be a thing that the narrative acknowledges as having actually happened...

I only have two real criticisms about these lyrics, the first is that I kinda wish that they were a bit longer to better parallel the Part 1 and Part 2 of the series, though I understand that setting lyrics to melodies isn’t exactly a trivial process, so it’s a bit hard to really complain about the product, especially when it turned out as well as it did.
I figured that, since I'd set a precedent of having each song be two loops of the theme, I didn't really want to deviate from that here. Especially as this is a period in which Kieran has a lot fewer issues going on, so there's less to cover - I do think I managed to fit in just about everything that was relevant about his character during this early part of the story before the Lie happens.

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
Hi! Here for Review Blitz! I am mostly blitzed out but still felt like I ought to check in on these, they're pretty unique! This review will go in the chronological order of the lyrics. I am very tickled the Juno Songs video prompted you to do this.

(Full disclosure my reviews tend to be dumb commentary on the events of the part of the fic i read followed by an overall conclusion)

Noooo Kieran you aren't in the way! The shyer timider Kieran definitely shines through here.

He still thinks the ogre is his hero too... I have bad news about any potential recciprocation there little buddy little pal

The player is Kikeran's friend now. There is no way in which this will go wrong.

Next set of lyrics: It has gone wrong.

Ogerpon will change his mind if he'sSTRONG right? Right????

But no that damned playrer character took everything from him. because that's what player characters do.

He can't lose! But he loses anyway.

And those last few lyrics twist the knife in damn.

Third set of lyrics, time for more pain.

You're going to win this time? Yeah keep telling yourself that.

Oh man all the stuff about all his effort getting to the top is NOTHING if he doesn't beat you hahahahahahaha

He. Just wants it to end. God.

Aha you included The Line if you bring Ogerpon to his final champion fight, perfect.

He won't lose again. But what if he does?

(He will. He's canonically obligated to don't you see?)

That was a really fun ride. Really goes super deep into his character in a very in-character way as said character evolves, and you gel it well with his actual battle theme to. Looking forward to those epilogue lyrics! Thanks for posting!

Postgame Clubroom Battles [original battle theme]

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
(( @Umbramatic Thanks for the comments! I had fun reading your reactions, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! ))

Negrek suggested we’d maybe get a song at the end to resolve things in a happier way, and here we are! Since it’s possible to infinitely re-battle Kieran in the postgame when he shows up in the League Club room, how about a song that’s essentially for those battles?

And, yes, I know that the theme the game uses for battling him in the clubroom is the theme from his final Kitakami battle. However, and hear me out here: that’s the wrong one. The devs made the Incorrect Choice and should have actually used his original theme for these battles, the one that’s light-hearted and peppy and represents the excitable kid he was at the beginning and finally is again after everything. So, this is me pretending his clubroom battle theme is his original one, like it should be, and writing another set of lyrics for it to cap off Kieran’s character arc throughout these songs and show how far he's come.

(The thread title doesn’t quite fit here either, but maybe instead we can call this one Kieran’s Final Resolution.)

This actually only contains very vague spoilers for the events of the epilogue itself; it’s more just spoilers for the general place Kieran’s character has ended up at in the epilogue and postgame clubroom scenes.

Here's your link again; like the first song, this starts at 0:01 and then has an instrumental break after the first couple of lines. More timestamps and details in hovertext, as usual!

~~~​

Hey c’mon, let’s battle! I wonder if I’ll beat you​
Or maybe you’ll win out again; the outcome doesn’t matter​
Sure was scary! To apologise to folks for how I’d gone astray​
But someway​
It all worked out okay​
Still not easy! But I thought I’d struggle more; turns out that I got this​
Talkin’ to more people, everyone’s so nice​
And that’s not all that I can do, somehow…!​
Wowzers!
That time I fought off the whole town, and I held my own!​
I mean, wowzers!​
And fightin’ side by side with you,​
it felt so good to know I’m not alone​
Feel the thrill of battle, this feeling never changes​
Always such a blast when I’ve got my Pokémon behind me​
Knew it all already, way back when we were strangers​
Somewhere I’d forgotten, but so much happened to remind me​
Seems so weird now! How I thought that what you said back then was just pretend​
In the end​
You really were my friend​
Plus, you know what? I’m not jealous any more that Ogerpon chose you​
I’m just glad that she’ll be happy there with you​
Besides, I’m happy too, because, somehow…!​
Wowzers!
It’s still unreal I’ve wound up with so many friends!​
I mean, wowzers!​
That might be normal stuff for you​
but it means everythin’ and more on my end​
Can’t believe how lucky I am that I could meet you​
If we’d never battled that day, I dunno where I’d be now​
Doesn’t even matter that I can’t often beat you​
Real friends would care anyway; I think I fin’lly see now​

~~~​

And that really should wrap up this series of lyrics! This is where I would link to my tumblr ramble about Kieran’s epilogue and postgame character growth – again, if I had one yet aaaand here it is!

Last edited:

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, wasn't expecting you to whip up another entry so soon, but I had a blast with the first three parts, so let's just dive right into things and see where this ends:

And, yes, I know that the theme the game uses for battling him in the clubroom is the theme from his final Kitakami battle. However, and hear me out here: that’s the wrong one. The devs made the Incorrect Choice and should have actually used his original theme for these battles, the one that’s light-hearted and peppy and represents the excitable kid he was at the beginning and finally is again after everything. So, this is me pretending his clubroom battle theme is his original one, like it should be, and writing another set of lyrics for it to cap off Kieran’s character arc throughout these songs and show how far he's come.

7ef.jpg

There's actually a case to be made that Kieran's Clubroom Battle Theme shouldn't be his original battle music, especially prior to whatever ultimate resolution he's left off in in the Epilogue. Since even if Kieran's made his peace with the idea that he'll probably never be definitively stronger than the S/V protagonist and that that's okay, he hasn't properly gone back to the way that he used to be. For one, he's actually having fun in his battles even when he's losing. Like he's clearly less of a wallflower than he is in Teal Mask and in the dialogue leading up to battle, he explicitly mentions that he wasn't expecting people to talk to him like they normally did from before and that he still rocks his champion hairdo since he finds it helps him "let loose" in battle... which is still his team he uses as BB League Champion, so there's some undertones of Kieran still being in the process of figuring out what on earth he wants to do and where he wants to go in the wake of backing off from an obviously unhealthy life track.

Like the proper solution would be some sort of peppy mix of his leitmotif kinda like in the vein of the vibes that say... Hau's battle theme gives off, but something something Game Freak is a small indie company, something something please understand, so we got the music that we did. Like part of it is ultimately the devs not wanting to plunk down for a fourth musical arrangement, but there's a case to be made that it's not totally unfitting since Kieran's still sorting out some issues in the wake of the DLC story, even if they're obviously not anywhere near as bad or self-destructive as the ones he put to bed.

But eh. You've made your decision, and I understand where you came from for your own argument, so let's jump right in and jam to some tunes:

Hey c’mon, let’s battle! I wonder if I’ll beat you​
Or maybe you’ll win out again; the outcome doesn’t matter​

Sure was scary! To apologise to folks for how I’d gone astray​
But someway​
It all worked out okay​

So... when should I expect you to unbench some of your Kitakami team from your Gramps' place, Kieran? Yeah, yeah, I know the meta gameplay reason behind Kieran sticking to his Champion team, but still. :V

Still not easy! But I thought I’d struggle more; turns out that I got this​
Talkin’ to more people, everyone’s so nice​

Yeah, that's definitely the one unequivocally good thing to come from Kieran's whole saga. Kinda a shame that it almost involved a total party kill to snap him out of that spiral, but eh. All's well that ends well.

And that’s not all that I can do, somehow…!​

Wowzers!
That time I fought off the whole town, and I held my own!​
I mean, wowzers!​
And fightin’ side by side with you,​
it felt so good to know I’m not alone​

This must be an Epilogue thing since I don't recognize what these lines are referring to. I suppose that I'll see for myself what this entails when I get there.

Feel the thrill of battle, this feeling never changes​
Always such a blast when I’ve got my Pokémon behind me​
Knew it all already, way back when we were strangers​
Somewhere I’d forgotten, but so much happened to remind me​

I mean, yeah. That does feel pretty true to the dialogue that Kieran has for his Clubroom battles.

Seems so weird now! How I thought that what you said back then was just pretend​
In the end​
You really were my friend​

I mean, it helps that we literally fought alongside each other to deal with Terapagos having a normal one. That probably helped a lot with putting things in perspeective.

Plus, you know what? I’m not jealous any more that Ogerpon chose you​
I’m just glad that she’ll be happy there with you​

Well, for a time, anyways. Since if the Crown Tundra DLC's handling of Calyrex is anything to go by, there's strong reason to believe that Ogrepon's long-term fate will be to go back to chumming it up in Kitakami. Hopefully with a better relationship with Mossui this time.

Besides, I’m happy too, because, somehow…!​

Wowzers!
It’s still unreal I’ve wound up with so many friends!​
I mean, wowzers!​
That might be normal stuff for you​
but it means everythin’ and more on my end​

Just don't go forgetting those 'mons from your Teal Mask team in the process, Kieran! ^^;

Can’t believe how lucky I am that I could meet you​
If we’d never battled that day, I dunno where I’d be now​
Doesn’t even matter that I can’t often beat you​
Real friends would care anyway; I think I fin’lly see now​

Okay, I'll admit, this was a pretty good argument for sticking to your guns on going back to the original music just for this ending note.
784725534470963221.webp

I'm honestly impressed at how much you were able to distill Kieran's journey as a character into just a handful of songs. Like, yeah, there's a case to be made for nitpicking a bit and saying that maybe there should be more, but what's there is already very complete and more importantly, feels very true to the character and where he winds up at the different places of the story.

As for criticisms, the only one that doesn't ultimately boil down to "well, ackshully"-ing the song choice would be that I kinda wish that there were a bit more of Kieran's dialogue from his Clubhouse Battles alluded to kinda like you did with his Champion battle dialogue in his Champion Theme lyrics. Though I suppose that it's one of those things that will likely make a bit more sense to me once I've notched the rest of the Epilogue under my belt.

Great work as usual @elyvorg , and it's nice to see you conclude this series on a high note. ^^

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Really lovely to see Kieran come full circle here! It really is something special to have a Pokémon character have an entire character arc portrayed through their three different battle themes, and you make the most of that.

Hey c’mon, let’s battle! I wonder if I’ll beat you
Or maybe you’ll win out again; the outcome doesn’t matter
Truly an encapsulation of his change in mindset, which makes for an appropriate opening here! Still about Battling You, but in a healthier way: he may win, he may lose, but it's going to be okay either way, because he isn't hanging his entire self-esteem on it anymore. I suspect on a meta level you're also referencing how these League Club battles really can be either won or lost, canonically, unlike the previous battles where Kieran necessarily loses because that's vital to his character arc.

The way you specifically added in an extra syllable to the first line here in this version of the theme is really interesting. It's not like you just needed to squeeze in an extra syllable by necessity; this first line here would have worked fine rhythmically with the same meaning if it were just "Hey c'mon, let's battle! Wonder if I'll beat you." So I think you did this on purpose to show that something has changed, draw a distinction between this version of the theme and the original - perhaps because it gives a sense of being a little more fluid, less halting, without the little pause there.

Sure was scary! To apologise to folks for how I’d gone astray
But someway
It all worked out okay

Still not easy! But I thought I’d struggle more; turns out that I got this
Talkin’ to more people, everyone’s so nice

And that’s not all that I can do, somehow…!
Even with the xylophone, he's no longer stammering, because he's genuinely grown in confidence! What a good. Even without the stammering, though, the xylophone bits are still referencing how things were scary and hard and weird, things that he's now simply able to overcome. Bravery isn't not being scared, after all, but doing what you think is right even though it's scary. And when you do, you may just find that things do work out okay. The canon dialogue about apologizing to everyone and how everyone's taking it well is very heartwarming, and also says a lot about his evolution and strength of character and his growing confidence, which you bring out here. It's very important that he thought he'd struggle more, but has realized that he's got this: he still expected things to go badly at the start, and did it anyway because it was the right thing to do, but he's growing to finally be able to trust in himself and understand that he can do things even if they're scary or feel hard.

And that's not all he can do! Love the sort of awed, eager enthusiasm of this final line. In the original version of this theme those lines were halting and hesitant, ending in an uncertain parenthetical; here it's a more confident full thought, even while still ending in a "somehow", this sense that he's not quite sure how this happened but..!

Wowzers!
That time I fought off the whole town, and I held my own!
I mean, wowzers!
And fightin’ side by side with you,
it felt so good to know I’m not alone
:veelove: Love to see him finally able to wowzers at himself. The ability to not just be constantly admiring these other people who are so much better, but to also see his own abilities and be impressed by what he can do. Down in the Area Zero Underdepths, he was so convinced he was useless and couldn't help; now he's finally able to recognize that yeah, he really is pretty strong.

Love the callback here to the Ogerpon verse of the first version of this theme specifically: he admired Ogerpon specifically for holding her own against three others, and now here he's finally realizing he held his own against an entire town. Really does deserve a wowzers!

On the other hand, while Ogerpon was all alone and he admired her for this misguided perception that she didn't care that she was alone (because he similarly wished that he could just not care), Kieran held his own against the townpeople but he was not alone, had someone also fighting by his side, and is finally able to admit that it's okay to want to have someone by your side. It feels good!

Feel the thrill of battle, this feeling never changes
Always such a blast when I’ve got my Pokémon behind me
Knew it all already, way back when we were strangers
Somewhere I’d forgotten, but so much happened to remind me
:veelove: Yes good. He always had that love of battling alongside his team, and although it had gotten lost a bit behind his obsession with beating you, he's found it again. With Furret, Furret good

Seems so weird now! How I thought that what you said back then was just pretend
In the end
You really were my friend
Another lovely callback to the earlier lyrics about how he wasn't sure you really meant it. The fact it feels weird for him to think of it now is probably something that makes him feel a little embarrassed about it (perhaps why it's on the xylophone bit), but really it's a sign that his confidence has grown enough that that doesn't seem the obvious, instinctive conclusion anymore. He is now able to trust it when you say you're his friend.

Plus, you know what? I’m not jealous any more that Ogerpon chose you
I’m just glad that she’ll be happy there with you
Another adaptation of important League Club dialogue :okgon: "Plus, you know what" on the xylophone bit sort of makes it feel like he's kind of just properly realizing/articulating this, that he doesn't feel that way anymore and is just happy for her to be happy.

Besides, I’m happy too, because, somehow…!

Wowzers!
It’s still unreal I’ve wound up with so many friends!
I mean, wowzers!
That might be normal stuff for you
but it means everythin’ and more on my end
:veelove: The boy has so many friends! (And the same "somehow...!" on the uncertainty bit.)

Again, he gets to wowzers about himself and what he's accomplished, instead of just admiring another person from afar. Yes good. It's still weird and means so much to him, compared to how normal it seems to be for you - he still looks up to you a bit - but he's gotten there, and that feels so good. (Enjoy the callback in terms of the words used, means everything and more on my end compared to but do ya really mean it on your end?)

Can’t believe how lucky I am that I could meet you
If we’d never battled that day, I dunno where I’d be now
Doesn’t even matter that I can’t often beat you
Real friends would care anyway; I think I fin’lly see now
And full circle back to how the meaning of battling you has changed. Still feels lucky for having met you and battled you that day, for everything that brought him in the end, but now he can think of it in a healthier way. He can't often beat you - so he does sometimes, but usually not. But that's okay, because when you have a real friend it doesn't matter, and he can finally see that.

This was a lovely encapsulation of Kieran's character development, touching on most everything shown or implied in the epilogue - his healthier view on battling you (and ability to actually beat you sometimes), having reconnected with his genuine love of battling alongside his Pokémon, having the strength to apologize and make amends with everyone he hurt even though it's hard but growing in confidence as it keeps turning out okay, being able to recognize how far he's come and what he's accomplished instead of constantly feeling inferior to others, no longer feeling jealous about Ogerpon, finally having so many friends and being able to articulate and appreciate that instead of believing strength means not caring that you're alone. And of course, he's back to showing his Kitakami accent. So proud of my boy. :veelove:

Lots of good callbacks and nuance too; it's always lovely to feel rewarded for having read and thought about the previous lyrics enough to recognize the common themes and patterns. Perhaps not everything I see in it is something you were actually thinking, but it's still fun to analyze and think about what might be behind something!

Thanks for writing these; they've been a real treat to read and really serve to highlight the many interesting facets of Kieran's character. Looking forward to your new ramble!

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
@Spiteful Murkrow Thanks for coming along for the whole ride!
There's actually a case to be made that Kieran's Clubroom Battle Theme shouldn't be his original battle music, especially prior to whatever ultimate resolution he's left off in in the Epilogue. Since even if Kieran's made his peace with the idea that he'll probably never be definitively stronger than the S/V protagonist and that that's okay, he hasn't properly gone back to the way that he used to be. For one, he's actually having fun in his battles even when he's losing. Like he's clearly less of a wallflower than he is in Teal Mask and in the dialogue leading up to battle, he explicitly mentions that he wasn't expecting people to talk to him like they normally did from before and that he still rocks his champion hairdo since he finds it helps him "let loose" in battle... which is still his team he uses as BB League Champion, so there's some undertones of Kieran still being in the process of figuring out what on earth he wants to do and where he wants to go in the wake of backing off from an obviously unhealthy life track.
The thing is - yes, postgame Kieran isn't quite the same incredibly timid kid he used to be (which is of course a good thing) and is still very much sorting out his issues, but he's nonetheless ended up a lot closer to that original timid kid than to the person he was at the end of Teal Mask! By that point, he'd grown fixated on proving himself by becoming stronger at battling, which is what the final Teal Mask battle theme represented in him. And he's not doing that any more, not even slightly! Like you say, he's made peace with the idea that he'll probably never be stronger than the protagonist, and he doesn't mind if he loses now, because he's no longer hanging his self-esteem on his ability to win! Those are not the issues he is still working on sorting out - though he isn't entirely sure what to do with himself now if not that, he has thoroughly let the idea of "become stronger to Beat You" go.

While he is a lot less shy now than he used to be at the beginning, that awkwardness and social anxiety that the first song partly represented hasn't entirely gone away. (Whereas it was being thoroughly masked throughout the main part of his arc - there's no musical indication of him being shy in his final Kitakami battle theme). A lot of his scenes in the epilogue and postgame show Kieran still being kind of insecure and awkward in his interactions with others. That's the sort of thing he's still struggling with now, even as he's started being a lot braver about it.

Plus, as you said, he's having fun in his battles again - he's gone back to being the excitable kid he was at the beginning, which is a vibe captured much better in his first battle theme than in any of the others! And consider this following thing: if I didn't use the original theme here, I would not be able to reprise the "Wowzers!" chorus to showcase Kieran's regained excitability in the new context of him being able to be in awe of himself and how far he's come. Very important!

Like the proper solution would be some sort of peppy mix of his leitmotif kinda like in the vein of the vibes that say... Hau's battle theme gives off, but something something Game Freak is a small indie company, something something please understand, so we got the music that we did. Like part of it is ultimately the devs not wanting to plunk down for a fourth musical arrangement
I can agree with you that the most ideal solution here would be if they'd made a fourth battle theme for him (the Terapagos one doesn't count) for these battles, but I can completely understand why they wouldn't have wanted to put in the work for an optional postgame thing that a lot of players won't even end up seeing.

So... when should I expect you to unbench some of your Kitakami team from your Gramps' place, Kieran? Yeah, yeah, I know the meta gameplay reason behind Kieran sticking to his Champion team, but still. :V
Just don't go forgetting those 'mons from your Teal Mask team in the process, Kieran! ^^;
It sounds like you must've skipped ahead to look at some of the dialogue from Kieran's clubroom stuff (but evidently not all of it...) while not having played/seen the epilogue. As well as playing the epilogue, I highly recommend you check out the conversation that Kieran can have with Arven in the clubroom. You might have less to be concerned about in regards to Kieran's team than you think!

As for criticisms, the only one that doesn't ultimately boil down to "well, ackshully"-ing the song choice would be that I kinda wish that there were a bit more of Kieran's dialogue from his Clubhouse Battles alluded to kinda like you did with his Champion battle dialogue in his Champion Theme lyrics. Though I suppose that it's one of those things that will likely make a bit more sense to me once I've notched the rest of the Epilogue under my belt.
Kieran really doesn't have much dialogue for his clubroom battles, is the thing, and I did allude to most of what little there is! This song isn't so specifically about a battle so much as it's about his general character growth and resolution in the postgame. And I very much included a bunch of other, maybe-less-direct allusions to various things he talks about in his the epilogue and clubroom scenes.

@Dragonfree
The way you specifically added in an extra syllable to the first line here in this version of the theme is really interesting. It's not like you just needed to squeeze in an extra syllable by necessity; this first line here would have worked fine rhythmically with the same meaning if it were just "Hey c'mon, let's battle! Wonder if I'll beat you." So I think you did this on purpose to show that something has changed, draw a distinction between this version of the theme and the original - perhaps because it gives a sense of being a little more fluid, less halting, without the little pause there.
This was indeed on purpose! ...Kind of accidentally so. The first line for one of these bits I wrote was "Feel the thrill of battle, this feeling never changes", which I really liked for how it encapsulated the dialogue from his clubroom battle while also referencing a line from the Champion battle song... but it had that extra syllable, and I wasn't sure I could reword it to be one syllable shorter while still keeping the meaning fully intact. But then I realised, hey, the extra syllable still kinda fits and gives the line a fun new flowy rhythm, so what if I deliberately leaned into that and made all of the lines in these sections of this song have that extra syllable? It really does make it feel less halting and hesitant and more just enthusiastic, which is a perfect vibe for how Kieran's changed.

Even with the xylophone, he's no longer stammering, because he's genuinely grown in confidence! What a good. Even without the stammering, though, the xylophone bits are still referencing how things were scary and hard and weird, things that he's now simply able to overcome.
These xylophone bits still being specifically about how he found things scary wasn't deliberate! The first lines for this bit I wrote were the ones for the second loop of the song, in which they're not so much about that and I was just kind of going for a casual, conversational tone, getting across Kieran's personality but in a less shy and stammery way. But, hey, very fun and fitting that the first two happened to end up being about things that made him nervous anyway! That is a good reading of it.

(It's also fun to think of this xylophone as an instrument that represents Kieran's shyness and anxiety, because guess who else's battle theme also has that same xylophone in it? It's Ogerpon's!)

(...and, okay, there's a brief bit of it in the Loyal Three and Pecharunt's themes, but hey, Pecharunt is kinda timid it turns out, this totally still makes sense.))

Bravery isn't not being scared, after all, but doing what you think is right even though it's scary. And when you do, you may just find that things do work out okay. The canon dialogue about apologizing to everyone and how everyone's taking it well is very heartwarming, and also says a lot about his evolution and strength of character and his growing confidence, which you bring out here. It's very important that he thought he'd struggle more, but has realized that he's got this: he still expected things to go badly at the start, and did it anyway because it was the right thing to do, but he's growing to finally be able to trust in himself and understand that he can do things even if they're scary or feel hard.

And that's not all he can do! Love the sort of awed, eager enthusiasm of this final line. In the original version of this theme those lines were halting and hesitant, ending in an uncertain parenthetical; here it's a more confident full thought, even while still ending in a "somehow", this sense that he's not quite sure how this happened but..!
❤️ he is so brave and good and I am so proud of him

Love the callback here to the Ogerpon verse of the first version of this theme specifically: he admired Ogerpon specifically for holding her own against three others, and now here he's finally realizing he held his own against an entire town. Really does deserve a wowzers!

On the other hand, while Ogerpon was all alone and he admired her for this misguided perception that she didn't care that she was alone (because he similarly wished that he could just not care), Kieran held his own against the townpeople but he was not alone, had someone also fighting by his side, and is finally able to admit that it's okay to want to have someone by your side. It feels good!
I love that the epilogue gave me something I could so easily parallel with the original Ogerpon Wowzers chorus about her holding her own while fighting one against many. Look at Kieran go!!! But even then, he wasn't alone (he'd have found it a lot, lot harder and might have lost himself to panic if he had been), and he's allowed to be happy about that, too!

(It really is heartbreaking that at the beginning of all this, all Kieran was hoping for was to be strong enough to not care that he's alone, and to maybe befriend the one other outcast. It never crossed his mind to strive to just... not be alone at all! He never even considered that he might one day be able to make proper human friends! :sadwott: )

Feel the thrill of battle, this feeling never changes
Always such a blast when I’ve got my Pokémon behind me
Knew it all already, way back when we were strangers
Somewhere I’d forgotten, but so much happened to remind me
:veelove: Yes good. He always had that love of battling alongside his team, and although it had gotten lost a bit behind his obsession with beating you, he's found it again. With Furret, Furret good
Something I actually did deliberately this time: the lyrics where he's talking about how his passion for battle has never changed (even if it got kinda smothered by his obsession for a while along the way) are here in the section of the music that's always stayed the same!

These sections in this song are just about his enjoyment of battles now, like they always should have been before they turned into him comparing himself to others instead. (That's probably a lot of why he lost sight of the fact that battling is fun - because he kept losing a lot and it just started to make him feel weak and inferior instead.)

Another lovely callback to the earlier lyrics about how he wasn't sure you really meant it. The fact it feels weird for him to think of it now is probably something that makes him feel a little embarrassed about it (perhaps why it's on the xylophone bit), but really it's a sign that his confidence has grown enough that that doesn't seem the obvious, instinctive conclusion anymore. He is now able to trust it when you say you're his friend.
He not only wasn't sure you meant it when you first said it, but he became absolutely convinced that you definitely didn't for a long stretch in the middle there. One of my favourite innocuous lines in the epilogue is Kieran casually saying that you and he became friends during the school trip, because that means he's reflected and realised that of course you always meant it when you called him a friend back then!

Another adaptation of important League Club dialogue :okgon: "Plus, you know what" on the xylophone bit sort of makes it feel like he's kind of just properly realizing/articulating this, that he doesn't feel that way anymore and is just happy for her to be happy.
:veelove: He can just be selflessly glad for Ogerpon now because he's no longer desperate for her acknowledgement as the only way for him to be happy - after all, he already has so many other reasons to be happy anyway!

:veelove: The boy has so many friends! (And the same "somehow...!" on the uncertainty bit.)

Again, he gets to wowzers about himself and what he's accomplished, instead of just admiring another person from afar. Yes good. It's still weird and means so much to him, compared to how normal it seems to be for you - he still looks up to you a bit - but he's gotten there, and that feels so good. (Enjoy the callback in terms of the words used, means everything and more on my end compared to but do ya really mean it on your end?)
He cannot believe he has friends, plural, like, so many he can't even count them on the fingers of one hand many friends????? when once upon a time he'd never even been able to consider the possibility that he could try and make any friends at all, aside from maybe the one other shunned and outcast creature who's just like him? I am so full of feelings about how indescribably happy all this must be making him :veelove:

And full circle back to how the meaning of battling you has changed. Still feels lucky for having met you and battled you that day, for everything that brought him in the end, but now he can think of it in a healthier way.
But, hey, think about what it means for Kieran to be consciously calling himself lucky! He doesn't mean it in a sense of "I didn't really deserve it, it was just coincidence", because that's not how luck works in his head, is it? To him, luck is like some kind of cosmic force that hands out good things to people if it deems them worthy. And it turns out... it gave him something really, really amazing, actually?

(And to be fair, it truly was luck that he met you - if either one of you hadn't happened to be picked to go on the school trip, you'd still be complete strangers and Kieran would still be exactly where he was at the beginning of all this.)

He can't often beat you - so he does sometimes, but usually not. But that's okay, because when you have a real friend it doesn't matter, and he can finally see that.
Yeah, I wanted to make it a thing here that he does sometimes manage to beat you, because he really is incredibly good at battling now, so I like to imagine that he's almost on your level such that he can occasionally get the edge over you if things go his way. Battles are the most fun when you're pretty evenly matched with your opponent, after all!

Lots of good callbacks and nuance too; it's always lovely to feel rewarded for having read and thought about the previous lyrics enough to recognize the common themes and patterns. Perhaps not everything I see in it is something you were actually thinking, but it's still fun to analyze and think about what might be behind something!
Thanks for thinking so much about all this! I may not have intended quite everything you picked up on, but I put so, so much thought and care into creating these patterns and parallels and bits of meaning and it's so rewarding to have that stuff be noticed. ❤️

Last edited:
Top Bottom