• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Windskull's Prize Oneshot Collection

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Hi all, this is going to be a collection of the oneshots I'm working on for blacklight. All prizes written by me will be posted to this thread, unless they are posted elsewhere for specific reasons - which will be noted in this post - or are not posted publicly at the request of the recipient.

Prizes posted elsewhere
Prizes Posted to this thread
  • Midnight Mishaps for Namohysip
  • V for Vivify for Adam
As of now, no Content Warnings apply.

Last edited:
Midnight Mishaps

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Prize for: @Namohysip
Prompt: Two legendary Pokemon (of your choice) have to get along / wortk together after a higher authority orders them to, for one reason or another.
Summary: After Darkrai has one too many drinks and goes on a joyride around the world, plunging several people into nightmares, Cresselia is tasked with healing the afflicted. There's just one problem: she's been ordered to work with the chaotic Hoopa. This is going to be a long night. Prize fic.

Midnight Mishaps​

Moonlight filtered through half-closed blinds. A young woman laid in bed, her face illuminated by thin beams as she twisted and turned and whimpered in a tangled mess of sheets.

A figure floated above her, watching her suffer her nightmare. Then they glowed, focusing as they pulled a feather from their chest and placed it on the sleeping human.

At once, the woman calmed, her tormented expression relaxing.

Cresselia let out a relieved sigh, watching the human for any remaining signs of distress as she thought about how she ended up here.

Arceus stood before her in all his glory, expression – as always – unreadable. His hoofsteps echoed in the opalescent white and gold walls of the hall of origin.

The wispy pokemon to his side stood out like a blemish. Darkrai tapped his claws together nervously as Arceus began to speak.

"Dearest Cresselia, we have a task for you. Yesterday, your counterpart had a few too many spirits and thought it would be a great idea to go galavanting across the globe." Arceus turned his head to Darkrai, who shrank beneath his withering gaze. "You are to go to the homes of the afflicted and heal them, lest the humans revolt against our kind."

"Understood," Cresselia replied in a firm voice. "Just tell me where to go and I will leave at once." She turned, ready to leave at his word.

"There's one other thing," Arceus said, giving her pause. "Due to the geographical spread of the afflicted, we have arranged help so that you might travel fast. You will be working with…"

"Heyyyyyy Cressie!"

Cresselia suppressed a groan, turning to look behind her.

No one was there.

Then she turned to her right and jolted away from a grinning face. Teasing laughter followed as her assigned partner, Hoopa, pointed and backed off. She frowned disapprovingly.

"Hoopa," she growled. "We have a job to do. Can't you take things seriously for once?"

"Ha! You should have seen the look on your face!" Hoopa chortled, zipping circles around her. "Lighten up, why don't ya? We got a loooong trip ahead of us."

"Don't remind me." Her tone was flat as she turned away from the sleeping human. "Come on, let's just get this over with already."

"If you insist." Hoopa sighed and shrugged, then grabbed the ring hanging from his right horn and tossed it into the air. It grew larger and suspended in the air, creating a foggy portal to elsewhere.

Cresselia swept a scrutinizing gaze over the portal. "This better take us to the next home."

"Hey, girl, what do you take me for?" Hoopa floated up to the top of the ring, lounging against it. "Does this look like the face of someone that would screw with you for funsies?"

Yes, Cresselia thought, though she kept it to herself. It wouldn't be the first time Hoopa caused someone trouble on assignment. But she went through the portal, nonetheless.

The room they emerged into was large, the walls covered with photos and shelves that were filled with trinkets from across the globe. Against the far wall was the bed, surrounded on either side by nightstands with an alarm, pokeballs, and even more trinkets.

There were two humans trapped in a nightmare here, tightly embraced as if trying to comfort each other even in their dreamworlds. Cresselia frowned. She never liked seeing the results of Darkrai's nightmares. But some sights were more disheartening than others. Quietly, she repeated the same process as before, relieved to see their tension fade.

A clattering sound from behind made her freeze. It was followed by an exclamation of "Hey, Cressie! Check it out."

She turned to find Hoopa with pieces of jewelry and other trinkets hanging from his horns, and some sort of human garment draped over his head. He waved his hands back and forth with an impish grin.

"What are you doing?" she hissed, grabbing hold of the garment with psychic and putting it away. "Don't make a mess, they're not supposed to know we were here!"

"Relax, Cressie, it'll be fine." Hoopa backed away from the enraged psychic, his smile never fading. "I'm just having a little fun."

"A little fun? You're putting this operation in danger! We're not supposed to be seen. It brings humans back to our domain in search of power. This needs to be taken seriously. Why can't you get that through your thick head?"

"I am taking this seriously," Hoopa growled, waving his hands. "It's not my fault you don't know how to have a little fun on the job!"

Cresselia fought the urge to strike the impudent ghost with a psychic strike. "This isn't a joyride, we have a job to do! And keep your voice down, or you'll wake–"

A bright flash interrupted her, followed by a painful, electrified blow to the back of her head that sent her reeling backwards. She hit the wall with a dull crack, then was pelted by a dozen small trinkets. As she shook her head to clear her vision, Cresselia saw the hulking form of an electivire standing protectively in front of the bed, scowling. Behind him, the humans were awake. One gaped, while the other held a pokeball in one hand.

"Thank you for helping," Electrivire growled, slamming his fists together. "But you should go. My humans don't like uninvited guests."

"Hoopa, get us out of here!" Cresselia yelled. She whipped back and forth in search of the ghost, but saw nothing. Then she felt a hand grab hold of her tail and yank. Next thing she knew, she was pulled through a portal on the ground and ended up in the forest.

As soon as they were out of danger, she whirled on Hoopa. "What were you thinking?" she yelled. "You could have got us caught!"

To her surprise, Hoopa didn't argue. Instead, he just sighed and looked away. "I know, I know. I'm sorry. I messed up. Just… You're so serious all the time, even outside of assignments. I was just trying to lighten the mood."

Cresselia sucked in a deep breath, then counted to ten as she let it out. "I'm always serious, especially on assignments, because it's dangerous not to be. When you work around humans, you have to be cautious. They may not be strong, but they make up for it in ingenuity. And when you come across one – or worse, many – with a thirst for power… well, without caution, you put yourself and everyone in the world in danger."

Hoope was silent for several moments. Then, finally, he sighed. "I get where you're coming from, though I promise the reasons for my actions were sincere. I'll… try to keep my chaos to myself, at least until this assignment is over." He reached a hand out. "Deal?"

Well, it was probably the best she could hope for. Besides, After this mission she could go back to ignoring Hoopa and just do her job. She reached out a paw and shook hands. "Deal."

"Hoopa, where did you go?"

Two targets later, Cresselia turned away from the human's bed to find Hoopa missing and the door ajar. Cursing under her breath, she exited the room and looked down the hall. A glint of gold caught her attention, and she turned just in time to see Hoppa slide down the wooden banister and disappear from sight. Seconds later, there was a crash.

She looked behind her, swore again, then darted down the stairs.

At the bottom, she found an overturned shelf, dozens of books scattered around the floor with Hoopa in the middle. He looked up at her, grinned, and rubbed the back of his head. "Uh… oops?"

This was going to be a long night.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Prize for: @Adamhuarts
Prompt: Mew tries to inspire timid and shy Victini to be brave by asking them to hit her with their strongest attack
Summary: After Victini fails to show up for Arceus' annual sparring match, Mew makes a visit make sure he's okay. There, she comes up with an idea to help instill bravery on the shy pokemon.

V for Vivify

Something about autumn made Mew love Liberty Garden Island. Crisp air rustled the dying leaves of countless trees, creating a fluttering shower that settled into a carpet of red and brown and gold. The sunset only enhanced the display of nature. At the center, the lighthouse stood as a lone sentinel, nearly black against the darkening sky. And as an added bonus, most of the humans were gone by this time of day, leaving it quiet and peaceful.

But that wasn't why she came. As beautiful as it was, she had business to attend to. So with one last look of longing, Mew turned and slipped into one of the lighthouse windows, making sure to stay invisible.

Her goal: the basement. Or rather, the pokemon that lived there.

"Victini?" Mew called as she reached the bottom of the stairs. Her gaze flitted across the old bedroom as she turned visible. "Are you there?"

There wasn't an immediate reply. But after a moment, Mew heard a quiet shuffling from deeper inside. A v-shaped set of ears poked up from under the bedsheets. Victini shuffled out, eyes glittering with wariness.

"There you are," Mew chirped, zipping forward to close the gap between them. "Are you doing okay?"

"F-fine," Victini mumbled. But as he tapped his fingers together, he refused to look Mew in the eye.

Mew's tail tip twitched. He certainly didn't sound fine. Perhaps that explained his behavior—and the reason for her visit.

"So," Mew began, idly running a forepaw along the baseboard, "I heard you were supposed to fight in Arceus' annual sparring matches, but failed to show up. What happened?"

Victini visibly flinched, pulling the sheet up till it covered his nose. "Right, that." He ducked completely under the sheet. "I'm sorry, I know I should have come. It's just… Everybody was going to be there. What if I messed up, and in front of all the other legends? It would have been so embarrassing. A-and I never would have been able to show my face and everyone would have been mad and—"

"H-hold on Victini, calm down!" Mew took a deep breath, focusing as she drew from the memories of long-unused skills. A sweet, soothing scent filled the air. "It's alright. No one's watching right now." She paused, letting her words hang before adding, "You're stronger than you realize, you know?"

Victini poked his head out of the covers again but he couldn't look Mew in the eye. "I'm not so sure about that…"

Mew tapped her chin as she thought. There had to be some way to prove to Victini how strong he was… Then an idea struck. She offered out a paw.

"Come outside with me."

Victini tilted his head, eyes glittering with worry.. But curiosity got the better of him, and he reached and took Mew's paw.

In a flash, they were outside, floating above the water as the first stars twinkled into view. Though land was still in sight, Mew had teleported them far enough away that human eyes wouldn't spot them. She backed off, putting a few body lengths between herself and Victini.

"Alright," Mew said, "hit me with your best attack. Don't hold back, I won't dodge. Let me be the judge of your strength."

"W-what?" Victini stammered, eyes bulging. "But what if I hurt you?"

"Do you think you're strong enough to hurt me?" Victini flinched, so Mew quickly added, "No, I don't mean it like that. I mean. Inside you were worried you weren't strong enough. Now you're worried you're too strong." She twitched her ears and gave him a slow, warm blink. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. Now are you going to attack me or not?"

"F-fine." Victini floated back a few more body lengths, taking a deep breath.

First there was a spark, then an ember. Then Victini's ears burst into flame. Licking tendrils of fire rose up and up, creating a vortex around him before settling into a white-hot glow on his ears.

"You're doing great!" Mew shouted in encouragement. "Now unleash your aura and come at me!"

There was a second of hesitation. The fire started to waver. Then Victini grit his teeth. Mew saw a physical manifestation of his aura burst from his body, enveloping him as he dashed forward in a lightning-fast streak.

She had only a second to hear the determined yell, then burning pain struck her in the abdomen.

Mew went sailing backwards, losing control of her levitation due to the sheer force of the blow. Water splashed around her as she was flung into the waves. She gasped, swallowing a mouthful of ocean as she tried to right herself, throwing a protective bubble up around her. She hacked for a moment before she was able to reorient. Then she flew back up to the surface.

Victini was panting, head whipping wildly as he scanned the waves, only to let out a gasp of relief when he saw Mew emerge. "Oh my cosmos and stars, are you alright?" he shouted between heavy breaths. The move had clearly taken a lot out of him.

"Fine," Mew replied, lowering the shield. Her tail lashed wildly as she buzzed with excitement. "That was amazing! See? You have what it takes!"

Now that the adrenaline was starting to wear off, Victini's shyness returned. He tapped his paws together and averted his eyes. "O-oh. I don't know about that…"

Mew approached, reaching out to take Victini's paws. "Victini," she began, making eye contact. "Look at what you did. You sent me flying! You're so much stronger than you realize, don't you know that? I'm so proud of you already. But don't you see? You have potential to be so much more."

Victini hesitated. "I mean, maybe, but…"

"No buts. You have incredible potential. But to unlock that, you have to be brave, and face your anxieties. I know you can do it." Mew waited for a moment to let her words sink in before continuing. "Now, what do you say we go see the other legends. It's a little late for a fight, but… I'm sure they'd still be happy to see you. What do you say?"

"Well…" Victini averted his gaze, took a deep breath, then looked at Mew. "Alright. I'll… I'll give it a shot."

"That's all I'm asking for," Mew replied with an affectionate blink. "Now come on, we're wasting time."

Still holding one of Victini's paws, Mew turned and made for the sky. And as they left to see the gods, she was glad she went to check on Victini. He may be shy and scared, but he had the potential to be incredible. He just needed a little help along the way. And she was happy to be that help, whenever he needed a little push.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, just casually going through my target list for RB4 in between working on some longer stuff in chunks, and figured I’d get my foot in the door on a few targets with smaller fare just in case I didn’t get a chance to circle back properly with meatier fare later on.

So to that end, I figured I’d check out one of your other prize one-shots that was set outside of PWCH’s setting, since hey. The two that you made in it turned out pretty good, so it made me curious as to what your other prize fare was like.

But enough prattling, let’s just jump right into things:

Midnight Mishaps

Moonlight filtered through half-closed blinds. A young woman laid in bed, her face illuminated by thin beams as she twisted and turned and whimpered in a tangled mess of sheets.

Right, this is a one-shot centered around Darkrai. I’m guessing that this is their handiwork in action right now.

A figure floated above her, watching her suffer her nightmare. Then they glowed, focusing as they pulled a feather from their chest and placed it on the sleeping human.

At once, the woman calmed, her tormented expression relaxing.

… Or it could be Cresselia. Can’t say that was my initial expectation from the opening, but I guess the summary did say that the premise was Cresselia doing cleanup in the wake of Darkrai having a night of shenanigans.

Cresselia let out a relieved sigh, watching the human for any remaining signs of distress as she thought about how she ended up here.

Arceus stood before her in all his glory, expression – as always – unreadable. His hoofsteps echoed in the opalescent white and gold walls of the hall of origin.

… I actually wonder if this flashback would’ve worked better as a hard scene cut. But eh. There’s less than 1300 words in this one-shot, so I won’t begrudge you for deciding to try and keep the scene count down.

The wispy pokemon to his side stood out like a blemish. Darkrai tapped his claws together nervously as Arceus began to speak.

Arceus:
:whodarespostthis:

Darkrai: “Look, I can explain!” O_O;

"Dearest Cresselia, we have a task for you. Yesterday, your counterpart had a few too many spirits and thought it would be a great idea to go galavanting across the globe." Arceus turned his head to Darkrai, who shrank beneath his withering gaze. "You are to go to the homes of the afflicted and heal them, lest the humans revolt against our kind."

Oh, so it’s like the backstory to Katamari, but instead of messing up the night sky, Darkrai messed up a bunch of people’s night dreams.

Arceus: “Seriously, how on earth do you manage this, Darkrai?”
:whodarespostthis:

Darkrai: “In my defense, I wasn’t expecting the vodka to be that strong.” ^^;

"Understood," Cresselia replied in a firm voice. "Just tell me where to go and I will leave at once." She turned, ready to leave at his word.

de7.png

"There's one other thing," Arceus said, giving her pause. "Due to the geographical spread of the afflicted, we have arranged help so that you might travel fast. You will be working with…"

Can’t tell if this is going to be a Latii or Hoopa. Kinda leaning Hoopa since that seems like it’d be handier for blipping around, but you never know.

"Heyyyyyy Cressie!"

Cresselia suppressed a groan, turning to look behind her.

No one was there.

Cresselia: “Dear gods, this night is too old for this right now.”
:gardexhausted:

Then she turned to her right and jolted away from a grinning face. Teasing laughter followed as her assigned partner, Hoopa, pointed and backed off. She frowned disapprovingly.

Yeah, I knew it.
:lultias:

"Hoopa," she growled. "We have a job to do. Can't you take things seriously for once?"

Hoopa:
bdd.jpg

Cresselia: “... Of course.” >.<

"Ha! You should have seen the look on your face!" Hoopa chortled, zipping circles around her. "Lighten up, why don't ya? We got a loooong trip ahead of us."

Live look at Cresselia’s expression right now:

8b4.gif

"Don't remind me." Her tone was flat as she turned away from the sleeping human. "Come on, let's just get this over with already."

"If you insist." Hoopa sighed and shrugged, then grabbed the ring hanging from his right horn and tossed it into the air. It grew larger and suspended in the air, creating a foggy portal to elsewhere.

Cresselia: “Do I want to know where that goes?”
Hoopa: “Probably not, no.” ^_^

Cresselia swept a scrutinizing gaze over the portal. "This better take us to the next home."

"Hey, girl, what do you take me for?" Hoopa floated up to the top of the ring, lounging against it. "Does this look like the face of someone that would screw with you for funsies?"

:blobyes:

I mean, Hoopa’s default depiction in canon is to be a lulzy troll, so…

Yes, Cresselia thought, though she kept it to herself. It wouldn't be the first time Hoopa caused someone trouble on assignment. But she went through the portal, nonetheless.

6f6.gif

The room they emerged into was large, the walls covered with photos and shelves that were filled with trinkets from across the globe. Against the far wall was the bed, surrounded on either side by nightstands with an alarm, pokeballs, and even more trinkets.

Cresselia: “Boy did this human really get around. Let’s see what we’re dealing with here.”

There were two humans trapped in a nightmare here, tightly embraced as if trying to comfort each other even in their dreamworlds. Cresselia frowned. She never liked seeing the results of Darkrai's nightmares. But some sights were more disheartening than others. Quietly, she repeated the same process as before, relieved to see their tension fade.

A clattering sound from behind made her freeze. It was followed by an exclamation of "Hey, Cressie! Check it out."

Cresselia: “Ugh, what now, Hoopa?”

She turned to find Hoopa with pieces of jewelry and other trinkets hanging from his horns, and some sort of human garment draped over his head. He waved his hands back and forth with an impish grin.

"What are you doing?" she hissed, grabbing hold of the garment with psychic and putting it away. "Don't make a mess, they're not supposed to know we were here!"

Yeah, too late for that there. >:V

"Relax, Cressie, it'll be fine." Hoopa backed away from the enraged psychic, his smile never fading. "I'm just having a little fun."

"A little fun? You're putting this operation in danger! We're not supposed to be seen. It brings humans back to our domain in search of power. This needs to be taken seriously. Why can't you get that through your thick head?"

Interesting justification for why Legendaries tend to be such recluses. Wonder if that was something you cooked up for this one-shot or if it was something given as a constraint by Namo.

"I am taking this seriously," Hoopa growled, waving his hands. "It's not my fault you don't know how to have a little fun on the job!"

inb4 this backfires horribly in like 5 seconds.

Cresselia fought the urge to strike the impudent ghost with a psychic strike. "This isn't a joyride, we have a job to do! And keep your voice down, or you'll wake–"

Cress, you being so shouty isn’t exactly helping-

A bright flash interrupted her, followed by a painful, electrified blow to the back of her head that sent her reeling backwards. She hit the wall with a dull crack, then was pelted by a dozen small trinkets. As she shook her head to clear her vision, Cresselia saw the hulking form of an electivire standing protectively in front of the bed, scowling. Behind him, the humans were awake. One gaped, while the other held a pokeball in one hand.

Whelp, too late.

Hoopa: “I just wanna point out that this one wasn’t on me.” O.O

"Thank you for helping," Electrivire growled, slamming his fists together. "But you should go. My humans don't like uninvited guests."

"Hoopa, get us out of here!" Cresselia yelled. She whipped back and forth in search of the ghost, but saw nothing. Then she felt a hand grab hold of her tail and yank. Next thing she knew, she was pulled through a portal on the ground and ended up in the forest.

Cue the screaming match in 3… 2…

As soon as they were out of danger, she whirled on Hoopa. "What were you thinking?!" she yelled. "You could have got us caught!"

Minor nitpick, but adding an exclamation point to the first part of the dialogue probably makes it seem a bit more “shouty”.

To her surprise, Hoopa didn't argue. Instead, he just sighed and looked away. "I know, I know. I'm sorry. I messed up. Just… You're so serious all the time, even outside of assignments. I was just trying to lighten the mood."

Wow, a Hoopa actually being sober and expressing contrition? Haven’t seen too many of those depicted in my past readings.

Cresselia sucked in a deep breath, then counted to ten as she let it out. "I'm always serious, especially on assignments, because it's dangerous not to be. When you work around humans, you have to be cautious. They may not be strong, but they make up for it in ingenuity. And when you come across one – or worse, many – with a thirst for power… well, without caution, you put yourself and everyone in the world in danger."

Cresselia: “Seriously, how many anime movies have we had with that basic premise again?” >v>;

Hoopa was silent for several moments. Then, finally, he sighed. "I get where you're coming from, though I promise the reasons for my actions were sincere. I'll… try to keep my chaos to myself, at least until this assignment is over." He reached a hand out. "Deal?"

Narrator: “He won’t keep his chaos to himself.”

Well, it was probably the best she could hope for. Besides, After this mission she could go back to ignoring Hoopa and just do her job. She reached out a paw and shook hands. "Deal."

Cue Darkrai ruining all their hard work with a second drunken joyride around the world.

"Hoopa, where did you go?"

Two targets later, Cresselia turned away from the human's bed to find Hoopa missing and the door ajar. Cursing under her breath, she exited the room and looked down the hall. A glint of gold caught her attention, and she turned just in time to see Hoppa slide down the wooden banister and disappear from sight. Seconds later, there was a crash.

… Wow, I wasn’t expecting it to literally happen while Cresselia was doing mop-up work.
:loltias:

She looked behind her, swore again, then darted down the stairs.

At the bottom, she found an overturned shelf, dozens of books scattered around the floor with Hoopa in the middle. He looked up at her, grinned, and rubbed the back of his head. "Uh… oops?"

This was going to be a long night.

Well, not quite where I thought things were going, but it still felt like a cute and funny note to leave off on.

I thought it was a cute piece that was a fun breather. Dunno what your history is of doing little prize pieces like this, but I just might have to seek out more of them to read in the future. There’s admittedly only so much I can say over 1300 words, but even so, I think there were still a couple of things that stood out both as pros and cons.

The strong points of this one-shot can be summed up in three words: “humor and characterization”. Even in such a constrained amount of space, you manage to get Cresselia, Hoopa, and Arceus to cut fairly distinct profiles from each other, and their interactions carry a humorous bent to them that is at once fun to watch while feeling appropriate to who they are as Pokémon. It felt like a nice pilot for a longer one-shot if you ever decided to revisit this premise as a bigger project one day.

That kinda dovetails in with the primary weakness of the one-shot, which I won’t judge too harshly since it was written with hard constraints. Namely that it feels like there was a lot more that was only hinted at in passing that would’ve been fun to see explored more in depth. Like Darkrai’s joyride that started everything, or more of him in general, or more of Cresselia’s different proverbial house calls. But eh. Constraints are constraints and I thought in the end things turned out well in spite of them.

Good job with the one-shot @windskull , and I hope that @Namohysip had fun with it, since as an outside reader it was definitely a fun and cute little piece to just unwind with. Time permitting, this won’t be the last piece I read of yours this Review Blitz, since I can see that knack for characterization you have in your bigger fare didn’t go anywhere from your smaller side projects. ^^

Last edited:

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, was a bit light on time and energy in between some bigger reviews that I was working on tonight, so I figured it was as good an excuse as any to come back to this and knock out the other one-shot that’s presently in this collection:

V for Vivify

Something about autumn made Mew love Liberty Garden Island. Crisp air rustled the dying leaves of countless trees, creating a fluttering shower that settled into a carpet of red and brown and gold. The sunset only enhanced the display of nature. At the center, the lighthouse stood as a lone sentinel, nearly black against the darkening sky. And as an added bonus, most of the humans were gone by this time of day, leaving it quiet and peaceful.

Mew: “Which is a bit weird, since you’d think this place would be a big tourist attraction with views like this.” ^^;

But that wasn't why she came. As beautiful as it was, she had business to attend to. So with one last look of longing, Mew turned and slipped into one of the lighthouse windows, making sure to stay invisible.

Her goal: the basement. Or rather, the pokemon that lived there.

Mew: “Seriously, why on earth does Victini hole himself up down here when he’s surrounded by scenery like this?” >_>;

"Victini?" Mew called as she reached the bottom of the stairs. Her gaze flitted across the old bedroom as she turned visible. "Are you there?"

There wasn't an immediate reply. But after a moment, Mew heard a quiet shuffling from deeper inside. A V-shaped set of ears poked up from under the bedsheets. Victini shuffled out, eyes glittering with wariness.

Mew: “Um. Victini? Are you okay?” ._.;

"There you are," Mew chirped, zipping forward to close the gap between them. "Are you doing okay?"

Yup, I called it.

"F-fine," Victini mumbled. But as he tapped his fingers together, he refused to look Mew in the eye.

Narrator: “He is not doing fine.”

Mew's tail tip twitched. He certainly didn't sound fine. Perhaps that explained his behavior—and the reason for her visit.

"So," Mew began, idly running a forepaw along the baseboard, "I heard you were supposed to fight in Arceus' annual sparring matches, but failed to show up. What happened?"

Victini got squared up against some insane matchup like Kyogre, didn’t he?

Victini visibly flinched, pulling the sheet up till it covered his nose. "Right, that." He ducked completely under the sheet. "I'm sorry, I know I should have come. It's just… Everybody was going to be there. What if I messed up, and in front of all the other legends? It would have been so embarrassing. A-and I never would have been able to show my face and everyone would have been mad and—"

Mew: “You’d be like everyone else who sometimes takes an ‘L’ here and there?”
:gardexhausted:

Victini: “Mew, you don’t understand. I’m supposed to be an embodiment of victory. Do you have any idea how bad it looks for someone like me to lose?”
:grohno~1:

"H-hold on Victini, calm down!" Mew took a deep breath, focusing as she drew from the memories of long-unused skills. A sweet, soothing scent filled the air. "It's alright. No one's watching right now." She paused, letting her words hang before adding, "You're stronger than you realize, you know?"

Especially if Victini here has the same gimmick as Victini from Power Trip, since that was one of those ‘doesn’t sound impressive, but mega overpowered in practice’ gimmicks.

Victini poked his head out of the covers again but he couldn't look Mew in the eye. "I'm not so sure about that…"

Mew tapped her chin as she thought. There had to be some way to prove to Victini how strong he was… Then an idea struck. She offered out a paw.

"Come outside with me."

Mew: “... I… hope that this isn’t going to involve me having to be a punching bag for Victini here.”
:fearfullaugh:

Victini tilted his head, eyes glittering with worry.. But curiosity got the better of him, and he reached and took Mew's paw.

In a flash, they were outside, floating above the water as the first stars twinkled into view. Though land was still in sight, Mew had teleported them far enough away that human eyes wouldn't spot them. She backed off, putting a few body lengths between herself and Victini.

Victini: “... Mew? Where exactly are you going with this here?” ^^;

"Alright," Mew said, "hit me with your best attack. Don't hold back, I won't dodge. Let me be the judge of your strength."

"W-what?" Victini stammered, eyes bulging. "But what if I hurt you?"

Mew: “(Boy I really ought to have come up with a better plan than this.) Look, just do it! I’ll be fine! Probably. Maybe. I hope.

"Do you think you're strong enough to hurt me?" Victini flinched, so Mew quickly added, "No, I don't mean it like that. I mean. Inside you were worried you weren't strong enough. Now you're worried you're too strong." She twitched her ears and gave him a slow, warm blink. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. Now are you going to attack me or not?"

Lol, it’s like the cutaway gag, but without the doubts of whether or not this is a terrible idea. :V

"F-fine." Victini floated back a few more body lengths, taking a deep breath.

First there was a spark, then an ember. Then Victini's ears burst into flame. Licking tendrils of fire rose up and up, creating a vortex around him before settling into a white-hot glow on his ears.

Impressive, especially since Victini doesn’t exactly get a ton of billing in the franchise as an ‘odd job’ Legendary.

"You're doing great!" Mew shouted in encouragement. "Now unleash your aura and come at me!"

Victini: “... You’re sure about this, right?” .-.
Mew: “No! But do it anyways!” ^^;

There was a second of hesitation. The fire started to waver. Then Victini grit his teeth. Mew saw a physical manifestation of his aura burst from his body, enveloping him as he dashed forward in a lightning-fast streak.

She had only a second to hear the determined yell, then burning pain struck her in the abdomen.

Mew:
ive-made-a-huge-mistake-mistake.gif

Mew went sailing backwards, losing control of her levitation due to the sheer force of the blow. Water splashed around her as she was flung into the waves. She gasped, swallowing a mouthful of ocean as she tried to right herself, throwing a protective bubble up around her. She hacked for a moment before she was able to reorient. Then she flew back up to the surface.

Victini: “A-Ack! Mew! I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to-!”
:uhhh:

Victini was panting, head whipping wildly as he scanned the waves, only to let out a gasp of relief when he saw Mew emerge. "Oh my cosmos and stars, are you alright?" he shouted between heavy breaths. The move had clearly taken a lot out of him.

“Cosmos and stars”, huh? I suppose it’d make sense that Legendaries themselves would have their own minced oaths, though that makes me wonder what the cosmology of these two’s world is like.

"Fine," Mew replied, lowering the shield. Her tail lashed wildly as she buzzed with excitement. "That was amazing! See? You have what it takes!"

Victini: “... Heh, I mean, I guess I did hit you pretty hard…” ^^;

Now that the adrenaline was starting to wear off, Victini's shyness returned. He tapped his paws together and averted his eyes. "O-oh. I don't know about that…"

Mew approached, reaching out to take Victini's paws. "Victini," she began, making eye contact. "Look at what you did. You sent me flying! You're so much stronger than you realize, don't you know that? I'm so proud of you already. But don't you see? You have potential to be so much more."

D’aww… even if this still doesn’t change that Victini would probably be (literally) hosed if he tried to spar with Kyogre.

Victini hesitated. "I mean, maybe, but…"

"No buts. You have incredible potential. But to unlock that, you have to be brave, and face your anxieties. I know you can do it."

Mew waited for a moment to let her words sink in before continuing.

"Now, what do you say we go see the other legends. It's a little late for a fight, but… I'm sure they'd still be happy to see you. What do you say?"

Kinda wonder if this paragraph functions better off broken up. Dunno, maybe I’m overthinking it.

"Well…" Victini averted his gaze, took a deep breath, then looked at Mew. "Alright. I'll… I'll give it a shot."

Cute… even if I’m not fully convinced that this will end well for Victini at those sparring matches. ^^;

"That's all I'm asking for," Mew replied with an affectionate blink. "Now come on, we're wasting time."

Still holding one of Victini's paws, Mew turned and made for the sky. And as they left to see the gods, she was glad she went to check on Victini. He may be shy and scared, but he had the potential to be incredible. He just needed a little help along the way. And she was happy to be that help, whenever he needed a little push.

Mew: “... Though maybe I should make a point of keeping him from getting into a match with the Water legendaries this year.” ^^;

I thought it was a pretty cute piece there, and seeing Victini was a nice change of pace, since it’s been a while since it’s had any real prominence in the fandom as far as I’m aware of. The main draw by far was the process of Mew working up Victini’s bravery, which I wouldn’t have reflexively associated with a Legendary that’s meant to be an incarnation of victory, but it makes a certain sort of sense. Both from an overall timid persona which isn’t exactly impossible even for a Legendary, and from proverbial stage fright.

I don’t really have any strong criticisms to lob at this one-shot. Well, other than that I’d have liked to see more of these characters, but there’s meta reasons why we’re only getting this little glimpse, so I’ll refrain from harping about it too hard.

Nice work with the one-shot, @windskull , and I hope that @Adamhuarts had fun reading it as a prize, since it was a lot of fun for me to read it as a reviewer. Who knows? Maybe one day I’ll have to give you a prize prompt from outside your own settings, since between this one and Midnight Mishaps, it looks like you can adapt to fresh ones pretty well.

Cheers, and best of luck with Review Blitz.

Top Bottom