• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Windskull's Pokemon Drabble Collection

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Hi all, this thread will be serving as a central hub for the majority of any Pokemon drabbles/fragments I write. For the sake of space, content will be divided into separate posts by category, with up to ten drabbles in a single post. New content will be notated here, in the index.

Post 1: PWCH universe (warning, may contain spoilers)
  1. Dark Void
  2. Gone Rogue {spoilers!}
  3. From the Darkness
  4. Very Ancient

Post 2: Trainerverse
  1. Nocturnal

Post 3: General PMD/Pokecentric
  1. Politoed

Post 4: PWCH mythology drabbles
  1. A Banished God
  2. Light That Burns the Sky
  3. Seaside Hollow

Last edited:

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
PWCH UNIVERSE DRABBLES

Dark Void

Part of Second Anniversary Fanfiction Bingo

A crack in the cliff beckoned to Poochyenna, the path inside dipping downwards into inky blackness. His body trembled with tension, and he fought to keep his tail from tucking between his legs.

A houndoom stepped forward. “Like your forefathers before you, you stare into the Void. Have courage, young one. You must face the darkness. If your courage holds and you make it to the end, Darkrai will bless you, and accept you as a full member of our people. If you don’t…” The houndoom didn’t finish.

Poochyenna would be brave. For life, for honor, he would be brave.

Gone Rogue
Part of Second Anniversary Fanfiction Bingo. Note: Minor spoilers.

Aurora stumbled in front of the elders. Their expressions ranged from disgust to pity.

“Sneasel Aurora,” a linoone began, eyes cold and steely. “You have betrayed our tribe. You brought the outsiders against our wishes. Then they killed our young. The elders have decided…” He glanced to an elderly weavile. She refused to look up. “...For the crime of going rogue and hurting the tribe, you shall be exiled, and your bloodline stricken from our heritage.”

Aurora’s expression was hurt. Then she scowled. “Fine. This is not the tribe I knew anymore. I don’t need you. I’ll thrive without you.“

From the Darkness
Part of Third Anniversary Drabble Bingo.

Poochyena navigated the caves by smell, sound and feel. There was no light and no breeze, only suffocating darkness.

Hello.”

Poochyena’s hackles rose. Someone was here. Who dared to intrude on his sacred trials?

A single blue eye appeared, glowing in the darkness. He saw hints of something wispy moving.

There was a flash, then hundreds of crystals lit the room. And floating in front of him was his patron. Darkrai was here? Was this the best kept secret of the trial?

I am the final challenge in your trial,” Darkrai said, opening their arms wide. “Welcome to my domain.”

Very Ancient
Part of Third Anniversary Drabble Bingo

A mienshao crept through the darkness. Deep in the caves, where the stone was cold and untouched by the sun, he had only the soft glow of a luminous orb to guide him.

His paw pressed up against something with a strange texture. Smooth and warm, with slight give.

At once he smashed his orb on the ground. A flash illuminated the chamber.

In front of him, Continent Tower. Brittle plant matter and ages of dirt clung to its body.

“Great Regigigas…” The mienshao mumbled, awestruck. “I’ve finally found you. War rages outside. Please, stalwart titan, we need your help.”

Last edited:

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
TRAINERVERSE DRABBLES

Nocturnal

Part of Second Anniversary Fanfiction Bingo

Moonlight trickled through the warehouse windows. A light scratching noise made the trainer whip around.

His flashlight illuminated an empty wall. The scratching persisted. To his side, his torracat stood at attention, eyes as round as the moon.The flame sac around her neck blazed with energy, providing some light around them.

A crashing noise behind him made the trainer yelp. Torracat bristled, her tail fluffed.

“I know you’re here. Come out already!”

There was a shifting noise.Then dozens of small bodies, a sea of tan and black, rushed forward. The trainer’s flashlight clattered to the floor.

“Oh rats.”

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
It’s always fun seeing more of your PWCH setting! It’s something that may have already happened in chapters I haven’t had the chance to read yet, but seeing more of Nip’s tribe and life outside the village was something I’d really been looking forward to. Nice to get a taste here. Although the houndour here worship Darkrai rather than Yveltal... Wonder whether that means they’re part of a different tribe or whether you get a variety of faiths within the same group.

I enjoyed the poochyena drabble the most. I liked the sense of apprehension you gave, plus the little tidbits of world building you snuck in in a small space. I can see a connection between the sneasel drabble and PWCH, but I don’t think I had the context to fully appreciate it.

The trainerverse drabble is really cute! I enjoy a good humorous ending line, and as with the poochyena drabble, I thought you did a nice job with the atmosphere, in particular the torracat’s physical reaction to the situation.

I don’t think these are strict drabbles in the specific word count sense, but if you were looking to trim down to hit a word target, I think there are some opportunities to remove extraneous phrases, like the fact that the poochyena’s body trembled “with tension” (from context it’s pretty clear he’s tense) or the torracat’s flame sac provided light “around them” (where else)? Knocking out phrases like these can bring down your word count and make the remaining words more impactful.

Some fun short pieces here, and a nice extra glimpse into your worlds!

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
GENERAL PMD/POKECENTRIC DRABBLES

Politoed

Part of Third Anniversary Drabble bingo

“Face it, Dolly, you can’t sing.”

Dolly the politoed glared at her heckler, her vocal sack inflating with indignation. “I can too. You’re just jealous of my skills.”

“Hey, maybe you shouldn’t push your luck,” a poliwag whispered, but the poliwhirl just crossed his arms.

“If you're so good, then prove it.”

“Well, maybe I will.” Dolly narrowed her eyes at the poliwhirl, taking a deep breath. Then she began to sing at the top of her lungs in a horrible, off-key tone. “WE’RE NO STRANGERS TO LOVE-”

“Oh no!” the poliwag screwed his eyes shut. “What have you done?”

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Oh hey, I’m caught up with PWCH for once, so that means that I can actually read these without being worried about massive spoilers. Probably. Maybe. But anyhow, let’s get out a review of these things, since I’ve always been interested in them.

PWCH UNIVERSE DRABBLES

Dark Void

A crack in the cliff beckoned to Poochyenna, the path inside dipping downwards into inky blackness. His body trembled with tension, and he fought to keep his tail from tucking between his legs.

Oh yeah, that’s not worrisome at all there.
:copyka2~1:

A houndoom stepped forward. “Like your forefathers before you, you stare into the Void. Have courage, young one. You must face the darkness. If your courage holds and you make it to the end, Darkrai will bless you, and accept you as a full member of our people. If you don’t…” The houndoom didn’t finish.

Houndoom: “You die, obviously. But let’s not dwell on that too hard.”

Poochyenna would be brave. For life, for honor, he would be brave.

He… didn’t make it, did he?
:copyka~1:

Gone Rogue

Aurora stumbled in front of the elders. Their expressions ranged from disgust to pity.

“Sneasel Aurora,” a linoone began, eyes cold and steely. “You have betrayed our tribe. You brought the outsiders against our wishes. Then they killed our young. The elders have decided…”

He glanced to an elderly weavile. She refused to look up. “...For the crime of going rogue and hurting the tribe, you shall be exiled, and your bloodline stricken from our heritage.”

Would recommend dividing this up. Though huh, somehow I never realized that PWCH used HoC-naming for how in-setting names work. Though why does this feel like a perspective flip echo to the events of early PWCH? Since minus the whole ‘social death and getting run out of town’ part, this is basically what happened to Haru and the gang after the Nippening.

Aurora’s expression was hurt. Then she scowled. “Fine. This is not the tribe I knew anymore. I don’t need you. I’ll thrive without you.“

Aurora has some sort of relation to Nip, doesn’t she? Since she just gives off that sort of vibe right now.

From the Darkness

Poochyena navigated the caves by smell, sound and feel. There was no light and no breeze, only suffocating darkness.

Oh, it’s this guy again. Cue the macro:

487.jpg

Hello.”

Poochyena’s hackles rose. Someone was here. Who dared to intrude on his sacred trials?

… Maybe I spoke too soon.
:fearfullaugh~1:

A single blue eye appeared, glowing in the darkness. He saw hints of something wispy moving.

Ohai, Darkrai.

There was a flash, then hundreds of crystals lit the room. And floating in front of him was his patron. Darkrai was here? Was this the best kept secret of the trial?

I am the final challenge in your trial,” Darkrai said, opening their arms wide. “Welcome to my domain.”

Oh, so now Poochyena’s dead. Since unless if Darkrai’s trial is something to the effect of ‘don’t nope out from my nightmare’...
:copyka2~1:

Very Ancient

A mienshao crept through the darkness. Deep in the caves, where the stone was cold and untouched by the sun, he had only the soft glow of a luminous orb to guide him.

Mienshao: “How on earth did I get into this situation anyways?” >_>;

His paw pressed up against something with a strange texture. Smooth and warm, with slight give.

At once he smashed his orb on the ground. A flash illuminated the chamber.

In front of him, Continent Tower. Brittle plant matter and ages of dirt clung to its body.

violet-spit-water-the-incredibles2.gif

I mean, I knew that he existed in spite of Haru’s protestations, but it’s still surprising to see him in the flesh like this.

“Great Regigigas…” The mienshao mumbled, awestruck. “I’ve finally found you. War rages outside. Please, stalwart titan, we need your help.”

This… happened sometime in the past, didn’t it? Since I don’t recall ever seeing a Mienshao chilling around Theran Village.

TRAINERVERSE DRABBLES

Nocturnal

Moonlight trickled through the warehouse windows. A light scratching noise made the trainer whip around.

His flashlight illuminated an empty wall. The scratching persisted. To his side, his torracat stood at attention, eyes as round as the moon.The flame sac around her neck blazed with energy, providing some light around them.

Oh, so the ‘nocturnal’ isn’t about the Torracat there, I assume.

A crashing noise behind him made the trainer yelp. Torracat bristled, her tail fluffed.

“I know you’re here. Come out already!”

There was a shifting noise. Then dozens of small bodies, a sea of tan and black, rushed forward. The trainer’s flashlight clattered to the floor.

“Oh rats.”

Oh well that would be a freaky encounter there. That’s Alolan Rattata for you, I guess. Though I think that security guard’s gonna need a bigger cat.
:fearfullaugh~1:

GENERAL PMD/POKECENTRIC DRABBLES

Politoed

“Face it, Dolly, you can’t sing.”

Dolly the politoed glared at her heckler, her vocal sac inflating with indignation. “I can too. You’re just jealous of my skills.”

Small nitpick, but ‘sac’ as in the body part has no ‘k’ to it, which is specifically a container.

“Hey, maybe you shouldn’t push your luck,” a poliwag whispered, but the poliwhirl just crossed his arms.

“If you're so good, then prove it.”

Dolly’s “singing” is going to be horrific ear murder, isn’t it?

“Well, maybe I will.” Dolly narrowed her eyes at the poliwhirl, taking a deep breath. Then she began to sing at the top of her lungs in a horrible, off-key tone. “WE’RE NO STRANGERS TO LOVE-”

“Oh no!” the poliwag screwed his eyes shut. “What have you done?”

I really just got Rickrolled by this collection, didn’t I? That’s at once evil and hilarious. :V

Well these were some fun pieces to read. I can’t really harp too much about failings since these appear to be built around the strict definition of a drabble, though I honestly am hoping that some of the scenarios that got brought up come up again in the future in some of your other writings, since they were fascinating to see. Good work with the drabbles @windskull , and hopefully there will be a few more entries to these in a few months. ^^

PWCH book drabbles

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
PWCH BOOK DRABBLES

All drabbles in this section are formatted as if they come from some book or other form of text within the PWCH universe. All part of the anniversary drabble bingo.

A Banished God (Galarian Moltres)

Woe to the one who lays eyes on Moltres the first. That accursed beast corrupted by darkness. For he was cast away into the shadows after turning on his creator, replaced by our hallowed protector, Moltres the Second, whose flames drive out evil. But beware. The first Moltres fled deep into the ocean fog, and killed any who traveled out of the bay. We fear the day he reemerges and seeks vengeance. For our protector - by the Original One's decree - returned to the heavens. We plead mercy on that day.

-From the holy texts of the Cloister of the Triad

Light that Burns the Sky
Weep, oh Children of the Island, for the gods have abandoned us. The sun has been taken and the moon hid herself away deep in the fog where we must not go. Our patrons no longer respond to our cries.

For now, we toil on, in hopes our gods will return. But one day, the Light That Burned the Sky will return, wearing the skin of our Sun. I have seen it. And on that day, surely we shall perish. No mortal could hope to survive against the power of a god.

-From The Book of Darkness, by Unknown Prophet

Seaside Hollow
All shrines for Manaphy and its child should be built in sheltered, seaside hollows, with access from both the land and the sea. According to historical records, Manaphy asks only for humble furnishings.

The shrine itself should be built from a combination of drift wood and palm wood, and decorated with coral and shells. Corsola twigs are kept in a bowl on top of the shrine, and an alcove should be left underneath for the weary traveler to rest. It should always be accessible.

-Excerpt from The Gods and You: How to Construct Shrines, Temples, and Other Places of Worship

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, dropping in for this since I just realized that you bumped this series over the last year and was looking for some short fare to complement a chunkier read I was doing tonight, but… books from PWCH’s setting, huh? That’s definitely something new. Let’s go on ahead and see what those are like:

A Banished God (Galarian Moltres)

Woe to the one who lays eyes on Moltres the first. That accursed beast corrupted by darkness. For he was cast away into the shadows after turning on his creator, replaced by our hallowed protector, Moltres the Second, whose flames drive out evil. But beware. The first Moltres fled deep into the ocean fog, and killed any who traveled out of the bay. We fear the day he reemerges and seeks vengeance. For our protector - by the Original One's decree - returned to the heavens. We plead mercy on that day.

-From the holy texts of the Cloister of the Triad

This… is a Pokémon from across the sea from wherever Susana and her betamon buddies are from, isn’t it?
699082306027126844.webp

Since I can see that mention of Moltres the First fleeing deep into ocean fog there, and one of the more recent chapters of PWCH did talk about gods who were banished across the sea, so…

Light that Burns the Sky

Weep, oh Children of the Island, for the gods have abandoned us. The sun has been taken and the moon hid herself away deep in the fog where we must not go. Our patrons no longer respond to our cries.

For now, we toil on, in hopes our gods will return. But one day, the Light That Burned the Sky will return, wearing the skin of our Sun. I have seen it. And on that day, surely we shall perish. No mortal could hope to survive against the power of a god.

-From The Book of Darkness, by Unknown Prophet

>The Book of Darkness

5f0.gif

Boy, there are sure a lot of jolly and upbeat myths about Legendary Pokémon in PWCH’s world, huh? Though Necky explicitly took over Solgaleo in that setting, huh? I’ll have to keep that one filed away for the future, since I could’ve sworn there was a brief mention or allusion to Solgaleo in the opening sequence. Boy is that going to be a nasty surprise if this prophet turns out to be right.

Seaside Hollow

All shrines for Manaphy and its child should be built in sheltered, seaside hollows, with access from both the land and the sea. According to historical records, Manaphy asks only for humble furnishings.

The shrine itself should be built from a combination of drift wood and palm wood, and decorated with coral and shells. Corsola twigs are kept in a bowl on top of the shrine, and an alcove should be left underneath for the weary traveler to rest. It should always be accessible.

-Excerpt from The Gods and You: How to Construct Shrines, Temples, and Other Places of Worship

Live look at Haru after getting this book sometime in the past 5-ish years:

giphy.gif

Well, probably with still-angrier eyes, but yeah.

Though these were certainly a fun bunch, and I wonder if we’ll get to see any of these books in PWCH proper, since they certainly seem like they’d be fun to see make a cameo or get touched on at some point. I’m also pretty impressed at how you managed to make them feel like decently complete snapshots in spite of sticking to the strict definition of a drabble.

Kudos, @windskull . And I’ll be looking forward to whatever you wind up adding to this series in the coming year. ^^

Top Bottom