• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Wigglytuff's Guild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Maple nodded. "I see," she said. "If that's the case, perhaps you are strong enough after all..." She glanced to her left, where Truffle nodded, and then to her right, where Soda was busy playing a game on his badge. She scowled, and a portal swallowed it up.

"Hey, hey!" Soda looked up. "What's the deal? I was listening! We're gonna see if they can handle Radiance, right?"

...What.

"I was getting to that," Maple growled, but then sighed. "Right, of course. I need to inform you all of something, but I want everyone to pay attention closely. This is why I made it a point to gather everyone here at once: After further research on these creatures, which we are now calling Shades... we have come to the conclusion that they react very strongly with Radiance."

"Radiance?" Cabot asked, bringing a claw to his chin. "This isn't another aura thing, is it?"

"I don't know if I can take another aura lesson..." Cynthian lowered his flowers ruefully.

"Radiance... Is that similar to the balls of light you have been providing for me?" Necrozma held up the light while putting the jar away.

"Yes. In fact, after some tests with you, Owen, and a few others, I've concluded that your bodies are now capable of handling this power, at least in a weaker state." Maple's expression hardened. "In fact, I suspect you all will need it for the upcoming battles."

...She can't be serious, Diyem said. Radiance... might be a dangerous tool. But it doesn't look like she is giving you a choice here. Please, be careful. If you have any adverse reactions, back away immediately.

"...You're looking skyward," Maple noted, looking to Owen and a few others. "Does your commander have qualms about this?"

"He's worried about side effects," Owen explained. "This won't mess s up, will it?"

"Overuse can lead to harming yourselves," Maple said. "However... I have determined that your bodies are at least capable of handling some small amounts of this power."

"And what does this Radiance do?" Cino asked, raising a paw to get Maple's attention.

"Does it make us glow like some of you do?" Owen asked.

"Not unless you have too much energy, or you're actively using it," Maple said. "However... it will awaken abilities within your spirits that may be exclusive to you... It is your innermost feelings twisting and shaping your energy into something you can wield. It manifests differently for everyone." She gestured to the Decidueye next to him. "Truffle's powers manifest as great shields and wards. He us the Radiant Protector." Then, she gestured to Soda. "Soda's powers manifest as an augment to his illusions, which are far beyond what a normal Zoroark is capable of. He is the Radiant Trickster."

Owen's eyes were sparkling. "That's so cool...! What's your power, um, Miss Maple?"

"Simply to attack and cut down my foes," Maple replied casually. "It's fairly... straightforward, but my power manifests very simply. Some of you have already seen it." From her right paw erupted a sword extending beyond her fingers.

"In other words she cuts up enemies," Soda said with a casual flick of his claws. "Usually she uses the flat side, but if she gets serious, consider your ass grass."

Owen gulped, not sure why that last phrase awakened some blurry memory in his head.

"Then, our powers," Nip said, looking contemplative. "What will we get?"

"That," Maple said, forming a ball of concentrated light in front of her, practically the same size as Nip, "is something only you can determine. Does your commander have any issue with this proposal?"

...Be careful. She isn't going to let you leave without touching that sphere. I suspect your powers will manifest over time afterward. If something goes wrong... I will consider pulling you back to save you.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Oh, Jesus fucking Christ. What the fuck. Dave felt his hackles rising.

"Okay, so, let's say hypothetically I don't want to be inducted into the radiance cult?"

Ambyssin

Gotta go back. Back to the past.
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Well, if you know its actual source, then speak up. Necrozma stared at Maple. A strange, spark raced around him. Why are you so quick to assume this is bad for us? Especially if it’s been proven this power can help with the parasites?

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr was silent throughout all of this. Trying her hardest not to think about how this was most likely the exact sort of conversation the chosen back home had gone through. Had they even gotten a choice?

(It never should been their responsibility, it never should have--)

Then again, it wasn't as if she hadn't already crossed that bridge when Diyem first brought her here. And, well... it's not like Diyem had told them not to accept the weird-ass god powers, right?

"So this power..." she began, trying to sound disinterested, "it'll make us better at killing those shadows, right?"

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Necrozma turned to Starr, growling. “We shouldn’t be killing them unless it’s absolutely necessary. They need to be studied and the more we capture, the more we can study and the better chance we have of finding a cure.”

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nate watched covetously while the smeargle demonstrated her power. So that's what was on offer, huh? Sure, he wouldn't say no to taking a level in badass, if the Radiance shit even turned out to work on him. On the other hand, the last thing he needed was to accept the cool sword and then find out later he'd actually gotten himself in debt to some cosmic asshole who wanted him to run errands across the dimensions or some shit.

Nate squinted and thought as hard as he could in the direction of his absent charizard commander. What makes you say this ain't Arceus' power? Where do you think it's coming from?

Meanwhile he took a quick glance around the room to see if there was any chance he could slip out without being noticed--or at least without too much resistance.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Diyem rumbled from above, a mixture of uncertainty and annoyance. I'm not positive on where it is from, but I am extremely familiar with the power of Arceus. This is not what his powers typically feel like. Yes, perhaps similar, perhaps a hint, but... these are light-based abilities. That's not usually something I see of this magnitude... and nothing that I've seen since... Mm. But it isn't Arceus, not just Arceus.

But it's safe, right?
Owen asked, already walking toward the light like it was an old friend.

Just... be careful, Diyem finally relented. I don't know how your bodies will react to that sort of energy. It's like Cresselia, or Celebi, purifying energies, and...

Soda, meanwhile, was looking toward Dave with an amused grin. "What's the matter?" he said. "Scared we're gonna sacrifice you guys to Arceus or something? Please. That guy hates cults."

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Necrozma was not amused Diyem was ignoring him. And, again, why would this energy cause a problem for us? It sounds pleasant, not malicious. He crossed his arms. You keep tiptoeing around this conversation with vague statements about how this energy is bad and can't be trusted. But where's the reasoning? Where's the proof? If you know something definitive, then state it. Or don't. I don't care. But you chose to sit back on your haunches and send us here. So, if you have a problem with what we're doing, come here in person or stuff your protests up your tailhole.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
...Nngh... later. I'll tell you later. When Maple is not around, or any of the others. It's too great a risk otherwise.

Soda noticed the contemplative looks in their expression, but decided not to comment. Instead, he looked at Owen and a few of the others, who were already reaching into the light with a mixture of apprehension and curiosity.

Suddenly, Owen jerked his hands back and yelped. His hands looked like they were on fire--golden fire. But it quickly settled into nothing, and he stared at them, flexing his fingers. "...That kinda hurt," he mumbled.

"But it also looks like you were able to take some of that power for yourself," Maple concluded, nodding. "For a while, be careful and don't exert yourself until you realize whatever manifested. That goes for all of you."

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Nip stared at the ball of light, an uncomfortable feeling in his stomach making the fur on his neck prickle slightly. And despite his misgivings with Diyem, his hesitation made him uncomfortable. This light, could it really be trusted?

...Maple was the one providing it. Maple, the one who had stopped Darkwhite the first time. Of course it could be trusted.

"If you think it will help us, then I'll gladly take this gift." He stepped forward and reached a paw towards the light.

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Necrozma saw Owen's reaction. His core rattled loud enough in its crystalline flame to produce audible clinks and clanks. He repeatedly clenched and uncleched his fists. Necrozma forced himself to look away.

"I think... I'd be better served... accepting the offer in a more... open location."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
The reaction was similar to Owen's. At first, it was a warmth. Then, a noticeable heat, but before Nip could react, it was an overwhelming shock that rattled him to his very core. Whether he wanted to or not, his hands would reflexively pull away, and that same, stinging fire would dance around his claws, becoming mere embers within his system.

With enough people trying it, Diyem hummed lowly. I suppose that's fine. It appears to be safe. I apologize for my caution.

"Mm." Maple eyed the light. "This will last for a while. Be sure to expose yourselves to it. Otherwise, perhaps it will awaken by simply standing nearby as you are; your auras are... strange and quick to take things in. That may be enough." She turned around. "Necrozma. I agree. I will follow you to a better location in case your reaction is more..." She searched for the right word. "Volatile."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Soda, meanwhile, was looking toward Dave with an amused grin. "What's the matter?" he said. "Scared we're gonna sacrifice you guys to Arceus or something? Please. That guy hates cults."
Dave stared at him. "Look, you want us to touch and take in some dodgy-ass light that, what, 'overuse can lead to harming yourselves'? And it's fine and dandy because you think it comes from your god? Am I seriously the only one who thinks this rings about fifteen different fucking alarm bells? I'm not drinking your fucking Kool-Aid. We just beat your world-saving heroes in a fight without this radiance shit. Why do we need this again?"

The Walrein

Vicinal Dragging for the Truth
Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
Hmm. Dave had a point in that it might not be better to take on this risk if its power wasn't strictly needed, but Jaro felt like he'd fallen down the 'trust in a mysterious power that grants you amazing abilities' hole already. He had no real reason to distrust Maple, and more importantly, didn't want to fall even further behind everyone else in terms of actual usefulness in combat...

"Uh... I think Dave's right that at least some of us shouldn't take in the Radiance, so that we're not all gathering from the same bush, but I think I'm willing to risk it myself," Jaro declared. He stepped forward, hesitated for a moment, then thrust a fist into the heart of the glowing light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom