• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Non-Pokémon When the Bells Toll [Fallen London flash fiction collection]

silurica

All shall be well
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. arceus-beta
  2. arceus
  3. arceus-shiny
How do you celebrate New Year's Eve? With wines and songs? With nostalgia for the past and promise for the future?

Rating: General
Word Count: 1604

Author's Notes:
The prompt was "How does your character usually celebrate New Year’s Eve?" My answer was "How self-indulgent can I go?" Oh, and there was a 500 words limit for each piece.

I wrote these stories as part of the turn of the century celebration in Fallen London – it was 1899 in the in-universe calendar then. Except 1900 was then cancelled by the Empress. The calendars still say 1899 now and there is no sign of that changing. Yep. Anyway, it's almost new year again in where I am, so it feels right to post this while I still remember to. Happy (early) new year!

For the curious, I have more information about the characters here.

I've got no plan whatsoever to revise these. They've served their purpose and I mostly enjoy them as something like an anecdote. Something I did.

1. Joyful and Bright

"Oh, Leo! Here, help me cut these papers into postcards."

Leonard stares at the sight before them: colourful papers are scattered on a coffee table, joyful and bright, and with them are scissors, glues, and bottles of ink and paint. There are feathers lying about as well – either from the ravens perching by the woman's side, or those patches of feathers growing between her hair. They turn around, muttering, "I'm leaving."

"Aw, Leo!" exclaims Meika again. "You tease! Did you get the potatoes?"

Once more, Leonard faces their friend and puts down the brown paper bag they brought among the papers and feathers. "What are you planning to do with these? Please don't tell me you are intending to…."

"I will make the most fabulous stamps," says Meika with a grin.

Are you a kid? As that question crosses Leonard's mind, they remember that yes, this woman is a kid inside her heart, excitable and reckless in her disposition. "At least," they say, knowing it's in vain, "organise your table. The ink and paint will get on the papers at this rate."

"It will be fine; it will be fine," she sings. "Say, don't you like crafts like this? Your work involves it, right?"

"I'm a scriptwriter, not a stagehand." Leonard sighs. "Never mind that… why don't you just buy the greeting cards? And will these cards even arrive before Christmas? It's now—"

Meika wags her finger. "No, no, these are New Year's cards! And it has to be handmade, else it won't be a surprise."

"A surprise?"

"Yes, something unique and special for the turn of the century. Store-bought won't do; oh, they won't do. I will have my darling ravens deliver these cards so they may arrive at midnight," she explains while inspecting the potatoes, a raven watching from her shoulder. She then places one of the vegetables on a postcard and nods to herself.

Satisfied, she flashes a smile to her friend and asks again, "So, help me cut the papers, please?"

"I have no time for this, Madam," says Leonard with a huff. Childlike, indeed. Even so, perhaps her excitement would fit with all the fireworks and revels, joyful and bright. Crossing their arms, they add, "…I admit it sounds interesting, however. I shall look forward to a card from you."

2. Ice and Snow

In a daze, Leonard separates themself from a group of revellers, taking a needed break from the jolly hubbub. They stop to look down on the river from Hood's Bridge, watching the Drownies bob their wet heads between the fragile ice and snow.

They, too, were covered in ice and snow at several points in their life. They walked through cold dreams, cast in black and white, and they emerged as a new person.

They squint and check their ears; the Drownies have yet to sing their alluring, terrible song, but they can't be careless or the cost would be their dress for the evening. Shaking their head, they throw a quick glance toward where they came from, clamorous with a different kind of song.

The truth is, even as they laughed in that festivity, they never gave much thought to New Year's before. Yes, yes, the year ends and another begins, and the revels are entertaining, but then what? Nothing changes in London. Year after year, the city remains a dark place under her thin veil of hospitality, with all of the vices and depravity to indulge in.

Perhaps that is why New Year's revels appeal for the moment but never more in their heart. "New" is to change, to be reborn, and doing the same thing every year, throwing revels like any other celebrations, is no change.

"North."

The chilling word – a word from a page of their life – slips away from their mouth. They close their eyes, recalling the vast black and white they saw in their youth. Should they embark on another voyage? They cannot change the city, but perhaps they can change and be reborn once more with the ice and snow.

3. Warm and Gentle

"If we had cloves, we could make pomanders with these," says Aleksei while turning an orange over in his hand.

"Perhaps we could set some aside," replies Chizuru. "I would rather we eat them though; it's like back on the Surface again."

"Why so?"

"It's winter, the streets are snowed in, and we sit in someplace warm and eat oranges," he lists off, counting them on his rugged fingers. "Although back then we sat in a kotatsu instead of sitting by a fireplace like this."

Aleksei chuckles. "A typical winter over there, isn't it?"

Two men sit facing each other in a parlour, one drinking tea from a stained mug, and one peeling an orange – not cheap, down here in this season. On the table between them, a novel sits untouched next to a second mug and the basket of oranges. Pops and crackles come from the fireplace nearby, faint yet reassuring. Bliss.

That warm atmosphere is cracked by the sound of a sharp cough, suppressed in vain.

"Lyosha," whispers Chizuru, "perhaps we should turn in for the night."

Aleksei takes a deep breath before he replies, "It's fine. I'm fine. Just a little longer." He glances at the clock on the wall; it ticks and tocks in a steady rhythm toward midnight.

"Just a little longer then," repeats Chizuru with a resigned smile.

Another cough, and Aleksei grabs his mug for a drink; he can feel it soothing his throat, just a little. As he wipes fog off his glasses, he begins grumbling, "I was too busy last year, remember? And this year I just had to fall into the river and catch a cold."

"At least you didn't become a Drownie."

"Not when I had planned a dinner at Dante's with you. I won't let them drag me down," he says, putting his glasses back on. He stares into his mug and sighs. "But I suppose it no longer matters now."

"Ah, don't say that. I like dinner at home too," says Chizuru, leaning forward with a languid sway. "We even managed to grab some oranges while shopping for ingredients."

Aleksei pushes himself back into the sofa, as if it would bury him. "I told you, Chizuru-han. Don't get too close; you might catch my cold."

"Fine, fine."

Although he said that, Aleksei is still glad to have his husband sitting before him. Last year, an unpredicted Blemmigan propagation caught him off-guard, leaving him damp and soggy in Bugsby's Marsh even as the bells tolled in the distance. In another year, he was still on the Surface, and Chizuru had lost the light in his eye when they met again, fixated on one destructive goal.

Now his eye reflects the orange glow of the fireplace, warm and gentle.

Aleksei takes another glance at the clock; soon it will be midnight. "I hope we can spend New Year's together again next time."

"Mmhm. We will."

4. Soft and Serene

A song envelopes one nameless forest, soft and serene, ringing from a lone piano amidst the trees. As the sable-clad pianist sings through the black and white keys on his fingers, he peers into the hand mirror sitting on the desk in place of a partiture.

In the world beyond the mirror, snow covers the rooftops where the urchins run, either from upset adults or from themselves. Fireworks bloom in the dark sky, filling it with colours that it would not have known otherwise. People laugh and dance in the streets, celebrating a moment to come.

These are things that he is not allowed to partake in, for no matter how he may try, he cannot touch that world.

It brought him sadness before, in a close yet distant past. He longed to be with people again, to find company and escape from solitude, but the forest only had silence and slumbering souls blind to his true face. Even so, he persevered, and fate smiled at him once more: an encounter with a certain silver woman, carrying a similar pale and cold touch. The woman, a traveller of boundaries, spoke to him.

The song keeps on flowing with no sign of stopping, not soon. The piano is his only company now, but when the festivity beyond the mirror ends, his silver friend will return with a new book or several, and they will discuss it together over tea and cake.

He still yearns for that unreachable world, but he is glad to be allowed to wait for someone again. A small promise treated with sanctity, as befitting the tradition of the land. Until it is fulfilled, he will keep singing his soft and serene song.

5. In this time of the year, in this very moment

The end of the year comes approaching once more, and the Silver Lady, too, steps out of the mirror accordingly. Her white dress sweeps, blends with the so-called snow covering the city.

In this time of the year, she can come across those with the same cold touch as hers, delighting her with a particular sense of familiarity. Melancholy will slip into her mind when she dearly remembers only a miracle can overcome their transience, but in this time of the year, in this very moment when the city is embraced in tender coldness, she tries to forget that.

As she glides down the street, every now and then she steals upward glances toward the towering obsidian spires, bright with fireworks and blazing sigils – the same obsidian as the mask covering her pale complexion, lit up by a joyous revel. When the bells toll for an end and a beginning, a serene whisper escapes from her blue lips, "My sweet home…."

Last edited:

bluesidra

Mood
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. hoppip-bluesidra-reup
  2. hoppip-bluesidra-pink
  3. hoppip-bluesidra3
When the Bells Toll
:veelove: Wholesome new year's eve scenes!!! What a precision strike timing to publish them. I love all of them, but especially the last two. Those are so tranquil and melancholic without being sad. And such good choice of words. Like a song, almost.
"Oh, Leo! Here, help me cut these papers into postcards."

Leonard stares at the sight before them: colourful papers are scattered on a coffee table, joyful and bright, and with them are scissors, glues, and bottles of ink and paint. There are feathers lying about as well – either from the ravens perching by the woman's side, or those patches of feathers growing between her hair.
Omg, Meika gives me such strong "sweet covert lesbian grandma who lives with their "best friend" and five cats in a cottage on the country side and does arts and crafts" vibes, and I'm living for it. I know she has a husband, but that won't stop my fantasy. Where is he, anyway?
Are you a kid?
Says the person who looks like they're twelve.
why don't you just buy the greeting cards?
bc they're 10 Fate, my dear
watching the Drownies bob their wet heads between the fragile ice and snow
unbothered. moisturised. in my lane. focused. flourishing.
Perhaps that is why New Year's revels appeal for the moment but never more in their heart. "New" is to change, to be reborn, and doing the same thing every year, throwing revels like any other celebrations, is no change.
preach. Let's go be asocial basement dwellers together, Leo, and avoid any festivities to come
"North."

The chilling word – a word from a page of their life – slips away from their mouth.
UUuuuuuuuh I am so curious about Leo's experiences with Mr Eaten, but it's hardcore spoiler territory. But I must know more!!!!
"If we had cloves, we could make pomanders with these," says Aleksei
I misheard "cloves" as "clothes" and... well... Aleksei just gained 1x Favour: Blue
"I was too busy last year, remember? And this year I just had to fall into the river and catch a cold."
oadjfnosdjn I read the entire thing up to here with this lowkey dread, because it sounded like there was something very sad going on that they avoided talking about and now you're telling me it's a cold?!?!!
Last year, an unpredicted Blemmigan propagation caught him off-guard, leaving him damp and soggy in Bugsby's Marsh even as the bells tolled in the distance.
Omg, what is Aleksei up to? And why does he always end up in wet places? I need to know more about this man, he sounds like a walking disaster. Actually, he sounds like he has to be told the Idiot-Sandwich line and not the other way round
4. Soft and Serene
Okay, the last two parts.
First off: Wonderful prose. You painted such a soft and serene picture here! The first two paragraphs of 4. especially, and the overall description of the lady in 5. with the obsidians. And 4. has this peaceful melancholy to it and plays into the timeless/eternity theme really well.
Second: Excuse me, Citizen? How dare you introduce two characters I know nothing about? Who are they??? I must know! I take it we're in parabola and the fingerkings have opened the winter-decoration-box? But who is the pianist? Is he a stealth-cameo from the Sonaturna person who walks in dreams and who's name I can't remember no matter how often I hear it? And the silver lady? (Since when does Sil have female characters?) I have absolutely no guess! Pls enlighten 🙏

Red as a Candle
The title alone brings up "Red Like Roses" memories, and it fits Leonard to a tee. Like it was written for them.
As you'll probably know, all I know from SMEN is what you told me, so you get to witness my ignorance here on full display.
Still, he insists that going North, bringing the reckoning is his purpose.
:eyes: Bringing the reckoning? Which reckoning? I thought Eaten was for those who kinda gave up on life and went to uncover the last secret as that is the last goal they haven't yet fulfilled. But this doesn't sound the like. It sounds like they plan to return one last time
The Researcher found out about his plan, and being the destructively supportive person she is, offers to help writing the story.
Meika noooooooo
But here’s this woman, who never tries to dissuade him from this path, who supports him wholeheartedly; taught him the Correspondence to navigate his strange dreams, patched up his wounds whenever he scarred himself, willingly accepted the burden of knowledge, gave him a place to stay, and now…
😭 Okay, Meika is too much in the grandma corner to hit the same vein as Alfa and Chizu with me, but here you go again with a kind and supportive very powerful character who chooses to be good and they just make me feel so warm.
Everyone else think this is a fruitless endeavour.
minor typo and I can't contain myself: *thinks
How did he get here again? On his own, all on his own. He has used some people to make the way, but he went after them on his own. Deception and betrayal are the only ways he is used to for as long as he can remember. Most people will leave him as soon as they realise that, for good reason.
Volo, is that you speaking? For that reason alone I'm so happy knowing Leo turned back eventually.
“In matters of the Bazaar, look to love, always.”
If you're writing them anything like me, those stories in the collection are not in anything resembling order. But this here is the perfect sendoff for a first installment about Fallen London. The only thing that would have topped this would have been the "All will be well" quote, but this is reserved for Alfa.

Gift of Silk
A nice and short one, but very evocative! There's again a very good mental camera-pan when the image of the father turns into the corpse. You do these mental pans a lot, and I'm impressed with them every time.
However, this story makes me wonder: If Leo's father truly was this wonderful man, what did he do to upset Chizu? Like, from what I know from the incident from Chizu, Leo's father was quite ruthless. So either baby Leo is really having the blindfolds on here or there's another mystery I have to uncover!
It only stopped as the small boy entered a room, a wide smile on his round face as he held up colorful paper cranes held together by a string. “Father! Look!”
Is this baby Chizu?
Okay, now that I'm finished with it, I know it's Leo, but the image of baby-Chizu is still very precious!
Outside his door, a woman impatiently knocks while spouting curses in a language only the two of them can understand in this city.
Please tell me Meika is not cursing in Correspondence/Discordance! That's like, three destroyed parallel universes right there.

A Funeral in the Distance (<250 words)
Another Leo chapter, I see. And I suspect Family & Law is the one about the constable and the cheery man, which I've avoided so far. Yk, Emanuel is not too keen on picking sides. But what Leo says here is very interesting, because they too seem to not really have picked sides? And the fact that they can't feel anything? When they want revenge above all else, too? (Btw, did Leo also go Ambition: Nemesis?)
Like I said before, I can't quite wrap my head around Leo, and they continue to fascinate me.

A Traveller's Promise
This is so beautiful. This is everything I love to read. Somewhere in there are probably the words that I need to hear, too. Because currently I'm holding back real life tears. Everything below the "..." line was a new emotional punch.
And the best part of this work is not the parts about the Avid Horizon. Those are actually the most forgettable lines. What will stay is the forgiveness and the countless outstretched arms which SMEN provides that are so hopeful.
And when they return, there is indeed someone waiting. And they aren't judgmental -- not that they turned around nor about what they did to get to the NORTH in the first place. It is so cosy and lovely and hopeful and I love this so much 😭
From the text, I don't quite get why Leo remembered their promise exactly at this location -- it comes a bit out of the blue -- and I don't know if you planned on him turning back or on finishing SMEN. I want to believe it's the latter, because I can only imagine the emotional turmoil and the connection to this character that made you decide to turn around after so much. And to think that their promise to Meika out of all people was the one thing they haven't yet given up on. Afaik SMEN makes you sever all ties to your previous life, but somehow, the promise to write a simple letter got overlooked in this.
I actually wanted to quote almost every single paragraph, but then realised that reading your entire story again with a sob and a "this is too good" wouldn't be too much of a help. So I contained myself.
Above, the stars burn unlike the false-stars on the roof of the Neath; they shall be the witnesses and the judges
Judges... heh... I understood that reference.
Another thought intruded out of nowhere. A promise about letters. The laughter every time he was reminded of it. The warm kindness he has received. Slowly, his hand lowers down as he recalls more. (What is wrong? You are acting odd.)
Omg, the internal voice addressing the pov in second person!!!!! Son, how did you escape to the neath?!??!!
No. This is wrong. He turns his back on the gate to start looking. (No.) As if guided by an invisible hand, he fights his way through the thick snow, buffeted by the icy wind. (No.) Back to the dock, there was something, he knows it. (There was nothing there.) On a pillar, an authoritative hand has carved a message: IF YOU WISH TO RETURN TO LONDON - IF YOU SEEK THE FORGIVENESS OF THE EMPRESS - IF YOU WILL SACRIFICE ALL TO MAKE AMENDS - RECORD YOUR NAME AND CRIME.
😭 I love the "you can return at any time you don't have to go down that path, no matter what you think" message in this storyline so much
(Didn’t you sacrifice so much? What about your revenge? What about the injustice in the world? Have you forgotten it all?)
And he waits.
(You are a coward. A coward! So be it, then. I was never here.)
😭 This is my son speaking, I love him so much!!! For that parallel alone I lovelovelove this chapter so much!
“That’s enough, Millicent,” says the young man, but when he looks, there is only the frozen desert of Avid Horizon and the gate untouched.
...eh? What is Millicent doing here?
“So how was it? What did you remember?”
Meika noooooo
“I remembered my promise to send you letters from NORTH. I remembered I have a home and someone will be waiting.”
😭 Good Leo
“What should we call you from now on? Should we call you by your real name?”
😭 Meika yeeeees! How is she so cool? Cool Grandma meika! I wonder what's the story behind the name "Leonard" then?

Cat Upon Your Person Cat Crash
Ketketketketketketketket
There can never be enough cats in a single chapter.
Lovely one to take the edge off after the previous. I completely forgot that Leo tends to loose their head sometimes.
Do you ever have your pet sleep on you, and when you need to move you don’t have the heart to move them away?
🥲No because my cat doesn't like to sleep on me but I would give a lot to get her to...
It was just little Soot at first
SOOT! OMG WHAT AN ADORABLE NAME!
The tabby must have knocked my head off when she tossed and turned in her sleep while I was in an awkward position.
Erh... Citizen, are you quite alright? Also, is this permanent? I mean, your head popping off if you're in a slightly odd position? You might want to tighten those screws a bit.
Soot kicked me off into under the desk.
Then he got an idea. An awful idea. Soot got a wonderful, awful idea.
Once again I begged for her to let me go, but of course she didn’t listen. Kitten.
She's not disobeying you because she's a kitten. It's because she's a cat.
Oh no, it’s the madam. The worst possible person has come. This is awkward, terrible. What would she say if she saw me like this? Pathetic.
Meika noooooooo. Also, she would laugh.
“Are you sure? Do you mind if I come in?”
“No! I mean, don’t!”
The door clicks open.
“I said, don’t!”
Meika really needs to learn to heed her child's privacy. In any other world (one with internet-access) that's a very clear sign of "mom, I'm having a private goodtime(TM) here, pls d.o.n.t."

06/09/18
First off: Oooooh that prompt list slaps! I might even be able to make something out of that, and usually, writing prompts only inspire head-empty in me!
Promise: Excuse me, you had no right to give Meika such a dark turn?! I mean, I know her a little to know that that promise was trash the moment I read it, but does she have to be aware? Or judge her son for dying? Omg, these are some feelings I was not prepared for. Fallen London is really hard on your contacts on the surface, and if you want at least some kind of sleep, you better burn them all in your character's backstory because else something like this happens and that's just heartbreak! (What are her kids up to, why haven't they moved to London too and are they still in contact?)
Death: Interesting take because of the nature of death in the neath. What son is Jonathan referring to here? To Leo or to one of the other children? And what condition does this son have that the neath can't heal? I'm all down for that lore.
Epiphany: Oh, this sort of reckoning! I wonder what he's planned... And also, Leo is now my official problematic fave. That was some grade-a-self-deceit there, and I live for that. Given, my son would have debunked that and then told himself what an idiot he was for not even being able to convincingly lie to himself, but I take what I can get. Yeeeeees, Leo, yeees! Tell yourself you're in control. You are absolutely not following orders.
End: 😭 Omg, my son! Sil, why didn't you tell me earlier??!?!?!? I will now live through Leo, that saves me a lot of effort! "That would disappoint his father, but he's found a different way" Yes... because if there is no more father and no one to be disappointed, you can finally take your own life in peace, right? Omg, absolutely same thoughts. I never imagined I'd be saying such things about Leo of all people
Love: Hello you simple creature. Love == food. No flaws detected. Also, what a nice and positive outlook on life to have in such a situation! I admire how you can, time and time again, come up with such hopeful characters in such dark circumstances.
Laugh: Live, Laugh, Love... And just like this, I learned about Wren and Robin. Wren looks hot af. No wonder Robin couldn't resist. And robin? Dozing off all the time? Re-fricking-latable! (though my own sleepiness has gotten a lot better thanks to meds). Robin seems to have coffee instead. Very healthy, indeed. I wonder what he actually has that makes him so sleeby?

A Confession of Violence
Oh yaaaas, finally the daddy-material-in-the-making Chizu... Nice way to convey a backstory, I gotta say. And what a coincidick too ;)
“Excuse me… May I know what is happening here right now?”
Me logging in around Halloween.
“No worry, no worry!” She waves her hand. “I’m an old lady with increasingly faulty memory. Can’t even remember where I put my own glasses sometimes.”
Meika nooooooo
“So… violence.” The gentleman murmurs. The masked woman has readied her pen. “It’s a barely concealed crime from long ago. I killed…” He stops to take a long breath. “I killed one of my own family. It was an accident. I never meant to kill him, but I…” His hands are now trembling. “I never wanted to be like them. I never wanted to kill anyone.”
See, that's why I could never work as one of the Masks. You're minding your own business (which requires speaking to strangers, which is already a task and a half) and then suddenly you get confronted with this random man's entire life of trauma. Nope. I'll stick to fixing computers and/or larping as a devil killing people for fun. A lot easier on the mind.
“I’m a woman of my words. This piece of your regret will be burned away.” She wears her mask again. “I do hope we won’t have to see each other again anytime soon. I’m bad at lying.”
As she goes into the fog, the gentleman calls, “Madam! What I said back then was true too.” She turns again to hear him for one last time. He gives another smile, dampened by regret. “I’m glad he has found a real family. May he find his own happiness.”
How wholesome! I suspected the Lady being Meika pretty early on, but thought of her only as a cameo. But this is some really clever use of her. Oh, that reminds me. She said something about the Royal Beth, and that "that's where the lunatics go." Is she like this? I mean, it sounds pretty condescending to the mentally ill. Or does she do that to subtly kick Chizu in the shin?

Aaaand that's when the Ao3 server broke down. Hurray, I got to dig through Sil's old writing! It was a lot of fun! I shall continue tomorrow! Have a happy New Year!

silurica

All shall be well
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. arceus-beta
  2. arceus
  3. arceus-shiny
Thank you, you two! It means a lot to hear my prose still holds up. :veelove:

Omg, Meika gives me such strong "sweet covert lesbian grandma who lives with their "best friend" and five cats in a cottage on the country side and does arts and crafts" vibes, and I'm living for it. I know she has a husband, but that won't stop my fantasy. Where is he, anyway?
Tbh,,, she does,,, early on when the game made me do 873648736 romance questlines I usually tossed her at the ladies whenever possible,,, might be my own gayness leaking through though. (I think the Revolutionary Firebrand was the only time when there was a binary choice and I leaned toward the dude.)

oadjfnosdjn I read the entire thing up to here with this lowkey dread, because it sounded like there was something very sad going on that they avoided talking about and now you're telling me it's a cold?!?!!
Mysterious Coughing Disease (it's just a cold this time).

Omg, what is Aleksei up to? And why does he always end up in wet places? I need to know more about this man, he sounds like a walking disaster. Actually, he sounds like he has to be told the Idiot-Sandwich line and not the other way round
jhgfdhgfdg he presents himself as a botanist nowadays, that's why he was in the marsh. Now I have the mental image of him tripping on another Blemmigan and that was how he fell into the river.

Excuse me, Citizen? How dare you introduce two characters I know nothing about? Who are they??? I must know! I take it we're in parabola and the fingerkings have opened the winter-decoration-box? But who is the pianist? Is he a stealth-cameo from the Sonaturna person who walks in dreams and who's name I can't remember no matter how often I hear it?
lol yeah I brought Fuyuki in as the Sable-Clad Pianist just because I wanted to write him. I saw a dream place and was like, it's free real estate. Now I get to wonder about what his color scheme means in relation to the FL symbolism usually tied to the colors.

And the silver lady?
Oh, one of those characters that are more of a written concept than a realized fictional person. She has a profile here though, and I do like the concept.

(Since when does Sil have female characters?)
Extremely called out smh smh

However, this story makes me wonder: If Leo's father truly was this wonderful man, what did he do to upset Chizu? Like, from what I know from the incident from Chizu, Leo's father was quite ruthless. So either baby Leo is really having the blindfolds on here or there's another mystery I have to uncover!
:copyka:

That's about right, actually. Leo reaaaaally idolized their father. Chizuru, as an outsider to that relationship, ain't buying it.

and I don't know if you planned on him turning back or on finishing SMEN. I want to believe it's the latter, because I can only imagine the emotional turmoil and the connection to this character that made you decide to turn around after so much.
I am seen -- I actually didn't plan to turn back and only decided to do so after developing them more. That might be part of why it's kind of abrupt here, though either way I think it would be a very Leo thing to overlook/give little thought to something simple in one moment only for it to hit them later, and that simple something can make a difference.

(I tried a different approach in their page over at weebly, but being more of a summary also meant I glossed over some details such as the letter here.)

...eh? What is Millicent doing here?
She. But this being SMEN, I think it's entirely up its alley for this version of Millicent to be a figment of Leo's mind, or a disembodied voice molded by it.

I actually wanted to quote almost every single paragraph, but then realised that reading your entire story again with a sob and a "this is too good" wouldn't be too much of a help. So I contained myself.
I'm glad it really spoke to you 😭

(What are her kids up to, why haven't they moved to London too and are they still in contact?)
Nah, not kids; she doesn't have any if we don't count adopting the birds and Leo. She's speaking with her youngest brother here. Oh, and he passed away before she left her hometown for good. (She has another brother and supposedly he's still alive, but I admit I haven't thought of him in a long while.)

What son is Jonathan referring to here? To Leo or to one of the other children? And what condition does this son have that the neath can't heal? I'm all down for that lore.
It's Leo, yeah. As for what condition... (gestures at everything in their backstory and SMEN).

She said something about the Royal Beth, and that "that's where the lunatics go." Is she like this? I mean, it sounds pretty condescending to the mentally ill. Or does she do that to subtly kick Chizu in the shin?
I actually didn't remember this :unquag: I'd put that as her not knowing much better in term of word choice. (My mom speaks like this, but it's not from a place of malice.)

daddy-material-in-the-making Chizu
Srry you said this and all I think of is 🕷️🕷️🕷️🕷️🕷️🕷️🕷️

Excuse me, but is this implying that Meika is a birb as well?????
Oh, she did some archaeology and feathers grow on her now.

This is the true gay agenda: peeling oranges with your hubby
👬🍊

Kansai dialect, I see. I think
Yes! Chizuru is from Kyoto specifically.

A piano outside?!?!??! Also I did not know trees could grow beneath the surface
This one is set in Parabola! Seeing London in the mirror was meant to be the tell. Also yes, that's Fuyuki. (As I also mentioned in my reply to blue, I saw a dream place and went it's free real estate.)

The mirror imagery makes me think that the two are connected somehow. I must know more :eyes:
Also you picked this up correctly! They're frens. (I once had an interactive fiction idea exploring how Fuyuki has been doing in this universe which would also feature Silver as a supporting character, but unfortunately it never progressed past the drawing board stage.)

Hi do you have reference images of the Silver Lady and the pianist I must draw them now
How much does this help

The final push for me to do FL OC stuff.
And yes, yes you should. :quag:

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
part one:

Honestly, I kinda wanna try a crack at another genre for the night so here we are...

In which it seems Leo is getting lured into the holiday activities by a feathered Meika... and descides to nope out. I mean, its not for everyone, but trying to hide the fact that you forgot a componet of dinner kinda is a bad one. Or rather he dind't forget and is a bit smarter than me seeing the holiday theamd trap. Well technically he did the job so noping out is an option.

But how to do it with his dignity intact, there's the question.

Yeah there is going to be no dignity here and the sheer resignation as all logic is dismissed iwth a finger waggle is platable.

So he gets out without either and acknowledges there's going to be a mess in the end of the day with a wince. And he also plans to drag her into the more mainstream festivilities aka the fireworks and stuffm so he's not completely without holiday spirit it seems and thus skipping the visitation la schrooge... Well at least he isn't deriding her in her enjoyment even if he wants nothing to do with the project himself... Delivery ravens sound like an interesting convence. They probably are the best was to deliver consdiering snail mail's well earned name... and and ice crystals the letters pick up in transit will add a bit of festive flavor to the mix (and hiopefully not ruin the writing if anything personal is prescribed)

I wonder what she sent him on his card, and his response though...

Part two:

Overstimulation, the bane of any socializer's experience. Though with some holiday spreads its nearly impossible to get away even when overwhelmed. It's good that Leo found a spot and doesn't seem inclined to be bothered for a) needing it. and b) seeking it.

Meh london sounds like any other large city to be honest. THere's always something under hte table that's unpleasent. thogh considering the fallen aspect of london this version probably is taking it to the hale extreame.

And I'm likely missing most if not all the relevence of this moment as I'm not familair with the verse his story is set in. Ah well it's enjoyable regardless.

Part three:

Well this gives a snap shot of lwoer/fallen perhaps... with the comparison between experiences at least. makes me think of an old line in a modern charol that goes to the effect "my gran would ahve been happy with tangerines", things really have changed between holiday expectation between then and now haven't they? still part three seems both subdued witha bit of a promise of felled obsessions and posible healing at the end of things.

Part 4:
Depsite not beign a aprt of things it seems the narritive has a means to look out. I'm thinking the mirror from beauty and the beast for example... and while alone it's something. he is getting little pick me ps from the hope of those about him. Though the whole "true face" line is a hair... alarming... considering the tones of the ealier peices...

Part 5:
She seems some sort of ghost of ice and snow, and bound until things get thier coldest. With London that means she's likely able to slip the leash more than once a year, hopefully, for her sanities sake... but the mechanics are a bit beyond the point. It's I suppose fitting of the present season that she gets some time to mosy about and explore a little and experience both the cold and joy of the mainstream populations.

bluesidra

Mood
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. hoppip-bluesidra-reup
  2. hoppip-bluesidra-pink
  3. hoppip-bluesidra3
In flies a new batch! In which I arrive at Chizu's backstory.
I ate my friend’s fruit tart.
Omg, it's Wren, isn't it?
The writing begins with the consistency of a trained hand, but as it goes on, it quivers and quivers.
Hah! That one's chizu!
but I was never ashamed of this affliction until I almost consumed my dearest.
omg, is that one really chizu?!?!?!
Some lunatic composer wanted to perform a Correspondence concert at the Hall
That composer would be Ophelia, yes. If anyone was foolish enough to do this, insist it's high art and everyone should hear it, it's her.
It’s Hallowmas again. The season always urges me to write a confession or two, but frankly, sometimes I can’t even remember what I did the day before. I’m never able to get myself fully immersed in the holiday spirit because of this. It’s a little sad.
Aww... poor friend. On the bright side, you get to live a life of literally no regrets!

I really admire your perseverance with these confessions. Whenever I try to come up with my own, my head is very blank. Mostly because Em doesn't regret most of the violence, but it's not like he is without regret. And then I had to think, which is... hard...
A sort of a prelude to my Ambition: Nemesis run.
This was a little experimental and might be hard to follow/read, but so it goes. Also this was set entirely on the Surface with OCs so I guess it might as well not be a FL fic, sorry about that.
Don't say sorry, you just sold me with every premise! Surface? Prelude to Nemesis? Finally something about Konoe? I'm so down for it!
“Silly Chi.
:D I expected a lot, but not Chizuru being abbreviated to Chi! It sounds so infantalising, but their entire dynamic seems to be in that vein. How very adorable.
He always gets clingier when something is troubling his mind. He asks more questions, as if weighing the words he hears.
Omg, he is baby. As in, I love this behaviour in fictional characters, and I also love how Konoe is able to predict his SO's mood like this.
the heir of Nishiooji family
I think there's a "the" missing
Neither of us would let it go. We don’t know when it happened. We don’t care enough to know when our game of pretend stopped being one.
🙃 Wait, isn't that the same story as with Aleksei? I think Chizu has a type. A very strange one. One that requires an enemy-spy to lover setup, which is surprisingly easy to come by in London.
He doesn’t want a false marriage, a false union, a false love. He, too, refuses to adopt a child for that reason.
Oh? I haven't thought about this at all, and it's a super interesting thought! Chizu and children... He always struck me as a gay man who is comfortable living with his husband like two bachelors, only that they're now married. Children somehow don't fit into his image, aside from his gang of urchins. But these are not his children. But how does his upbringing factor into this?
And what do you mean by "false marriage?" A lavender marriage with a woman he doesn't love or some strange constellation with Konoe.
It’s not only once or twice he has come to visit, breaking in a sobbing mess as he laments about how he “failed”, how he couldn’t “save them”, how he couldn’t prevent “another loss”.
Omg, the "Medical Emergency"--"Try to save him"--Failure text! It's almost word for word this. (well, with a lot of squinting). Very chizu.
This is fine
Hah! He said it! He said the meme!

Oooooh what a treat! I dug out the missing Chizu introduction chapter! He's very much himself here. And Konoe gives me eery Aleksei vibes, so it's understandable he didn't want to bring him back. Most likely because the way Aleksei balances out Chizu's brainless self-sacrificing with a good dash of realism and ruthlessness, a meeting of two Alekseis wouldn't end well for one of them. It would be hilarious though. Watching two pretty competent spies/functionaries try to outsmart each other. While Chizu gets a break from constantly worrying and gets to stare at their butts or something.
Though, one thing is a bit different from the little snippets I caught abt Chizu and Alex's relationship. Between Konoe and Chizu, Konoe is definitely the one in control. In fact, the instances listed here make it look more like Chizu seeks him out like a child would seek their parent (for consolation and reassurance). And in turn, Konoe doesn't describe Chizu's positive qualities as a lover, which further lends itself to the "he is my son after all" vibes. I don't mind this at all (after all, daddy-issues is my artistic middle name). It's just an observation.
As for the writing style. It's experimental, yes, and I couldn't describe it, but it reads damn well. Never once was I confused about what was going on. It always felt like acrylic colours "melting" away when you mix them. And at the end, that makes sense.
This is awkward. He needs to say something. Anything. “C-confess what?”
Well. That is surely not the reaction I expected from prime diplomat Chizu
“E-eh…?”
Terribly awkward.
He's really channeling his inner Volo today, isn't he?
He puts on a warm smile. ”Please sit down. Would you like a cup of tea?”
I see Chizu has assimilated perfectly. He is basically a brit now.
“Would you like to choose your cup?”
Oooooooooooooooooooh how badass is that?!?!?! I hadn't even considered!
His eyes are red. Redder than the tea he drinks. Red as wine. Red as blood.
Red from crying? It sounds like that, but I know Leo's eyes are red-coloured.
“Is Vlad here too?”
Who now?
Chizuru froze for a moment, like a child caught sneaking to steal from the cookie jar. After a while, he starts laughing. “Ahahah. I’m a mess on my own, aren’t I?”
“You weren’t on your own.” Leonard hisses, “You were with my husband.”
Your what now?!?!?! Who is this Vlad person and since when is he married to Leonard? (and since when is Leo legally old enough to sign for a marriage?)
“Why did you kill the players of the Game?”
Be... because that's what you do? (Emanuel kills everyone, pls don't tell me leaving the Game alive is a legal option)
Chizuru, still smiling, tilts his head as he watches his cousin. “Can’t do now, Leonard. I have yet to avenge Nagato.”
OOoooooh! Another super badass line! Damnit, Chizu rocks it!
“Your father loved you until the end. The only names he said with his last breath were yours and your mother’s.”
Ouch. I don't know if I would have had it in me to not stab him after this line.
And so it was set. He will kill the culprit responsible for the lost of his beloved’s life, and then his cousin may take his life for the same sin. The pain of his missing eye and his shoulder will be nothing. It can’t be more perfect.
Tasty. TASTY!!!! The only way you could make this even more tasty would be if Chizu's uncle and Nagato were more linked together. Something like Nagato actually killing uncle and Chizu covering it up. Or Nagato being Leo's father and killed by an unknown person, but everything pointed at chizu who took the fall for keeping some secret hidden or something.

What an interesting look back in time! It's clear that this was written a long time ago. Leo has changed a lot, as did your writing. This text contains a noticeable amount of missing prepositions, which is something you usually don't do. But also, there's that third omniscient again that stayed with you all the way up to LLV :quag:
“Ah, Aleksei. Good to see you today.”
“Good evening, sir. I bought snack.”
OH YES INDEED Good to see you Aleksei!
This is again one of the older works, huh? It has a few errors and missing things, like here before the snacks. But damn, it makes that line so much more adorable!
Aleksei stirs his tea. Nothing to regret, he said? Aleksei holds no regret; this is his job. But for the person in front of him?
Hah. Chizu is regret-shaped. I'm sure when you open a dictionary and look up regret, you'll find his photo.
“It wasn’t that I didn’t want a successor; I didn’t want one for politics. If I wasn’t so stubborn, I would have been able to raise someone with my own philosophy.”
:eyes: Yes, thanks, gib more on your children situation.
It’s an unusual custom, isn’t it? That pseudonym thing.”
“Yes, it was unheard of before the Fall. It surely adds character, in my opinion.”
Oh that is some sweet little acknowledgment of weird FL stuff! I love it!
“I see. Maybe I should get a messenger bat then, or a raven. I would like to keep in contact with you.”
Is this the FL way of asking for someone's phone number?
Yes, they were close once, until the death of Nagato Konoe brought everything to an abrupt halt. Chizuru’s eyes have always looked sad, but since that day, there is an emptiness in his remaining eye.
What does this mean?
returns later Ohhhhhhhh! I understand
“We agreed that we won’t force you back to the Surface before you finish your business, but what about after?”
Oh! Ohhhh! He's the chaperone sent by Chizu's family?!
Aleksei shakes his head. “Unless there is further order from above, I will support you and your decision, whatever it will be. We are friends, aren’t we? And Konoe was my friend, too. Please do what you feel is right to honor his memory, as the person closest to him.”
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I DIDN'T KNOW! HOW TASTY!
Aleksei doesn’t like to admit it, but he and Konoe shared something in common: that they were worried about Chizuru, for spreading himself too thin. It feels heavy to admit it.
Heh. Told you so.
“I did hear that if we live long enough here then sunlight will become lethal… will you support me too then?”
“Please don’t joke about that. It was bad enough that you took out your own eye.”
This little scene feels so much like an end-credit scene, I love it. Just them completely talking past each other, and a little wink to the audience.

What an INTERESTING chapter! So many things I didn't know! Aleksei being friends with Chizu and Nagato is so cool! It adds so much! I thought Aleks was just some random npc you met during your run, but this is so much cooler! Mhhhhh the tastyness of the drama. Chizu is by far my favourite out of all your FL characters, and I know exactly why.
Another short one, but no less sweet. I love the way you describe the woods here, and the cosyness of chizu (I assume) working late hours in his office by the light of a candle. You are really good with those little flash fictions. This reminds me a lot of the Giratina one, where nothing happens, but a the atmosphere basically leaps of the page.
V cosy. Pls more.
Also a set up for future uses of the character.
Excuse me!?!?!??!?!??!?! YES! BRING Fuyuki to FL! This will be freaking awesome
A nightmare finds himself stranded in an unfamiliar woods across the mirrors and ponders about what to do about his predicament.
Can I just point out what a rad concept that is?!?! A living nightmare? In a world where you can switch between the world of dreams and the real world? Fuyuki would finally be able to do something on his own again, and wouldn't be bound to passively existing within dreams, which in itself is a very neat concept to explore. (Emanuel is already setting up the self-help group)
And all the ties to parabola this would inherently give him! I know nothing abt parabola, so I'm of course well equipped to come up with some loophole in the lore to make him fit in there. After all, Ophelia is somewhat the same. Plsplspls get him to FL!
The Sable-Clad Pianist
Looks like he'll be going through the affluent photographer cards rather fast, eh?
Perhaps he should sleep to reserve his energy? But doing nothing would not resolve his situation, and he would wake up still lonely and tired.
Fuyuki 🤝 Me 🤝 Volo
Sleeping as the solution to everything
He shivers and bites his lip; suddenly sleep has become a more appealing plan. Sleep and never wake up again.
That's quite literally something I've written for my son, too.
How come then your skin is still fair and smooth as wax?
L'Oreal
Because you're worth it
rumours have spread that he feeds his Starveling Cats the souls that he collected with his own fork.
:unquag:
Perhaps his Starveling Cats won’t love him, but he expressed hope that they will loathe him less. All shall be well.
The best outcome any cat owner can hope for, actually.

The starveling cat, the starveling cat
Scratches Candles, and doesn't fret.

Very cute little depiction of endgame Leo. It's nice seeing them confident and powerful. They have arrived at their place, even if it cost them so much.

Top Bottom