• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

What do you think of this? Haven't updated my 2 chapter fic in a long while so here's a long draft I made.

Last time I published a chapter was a year and a half ago, and back then I was pretty naive and my drive to write a story was purely for the sake of going through a fanfic phase than passion, and when that phase finished I absolutely stopped writing because of my lack of any drive.

Though after a long time through a worldwide pandemic and the aftermath of that, and after getting into listening to music seriously, I think I can post a chapter without feeling completely nothing. Though this doesn't mean I'm gonna post chapters more consistently from here on, I'd rather do this on my own pace.

If there are any legitimate problems in this draft do please point them out.

Here's a 5k draft of the third chapter of my OC, slice-of-life fic set in the Alola region, hope you enjoy

[Reincarnated Into the World of Pokémon!]

[THIRD CHAPTER]

[TITLE PENDING]

It was a dreamy early morning for the island of Melemele, the ocean busy with activity from the aquatic pokémon, the sky still being hours away till the sun reached its peak, and the islands population still in a slumbering state of silence, with the only exception being the early waking of the bird pokémons to feed themselves and their offspring, along with the Ferrum family getting ready for a small trip.

One that the mother of the family planned with two friends. And for the special occasion, she wore a pink sleeveless shirt and blue denim pants, while her son wore a simple breezy white shirt along with fresh beach shorts adorned with flower patterns.

"C'mon Natsugo dear! You have everything you need?" The mother of one asked "you don't want to be late for this I can assure you that, because we're both going to Akala island!"

With plenty of energy, Natsugo's mother placed her suitcase containing spare clothes for herself and her teenage son on the trunk of the family car. Seconds later her son locked the house and somewhat sluggishly approached her.

"I already know that mom, you've been talking about it since yesterday, and it's not like this is a new thing anyway you go to Akala like twice every year."

Natsugo himself had little sleep in his system because of the early departure of their trip. He handed over the keys to his mother.

"I know that, but this time I get to go with my smart and brilliant son with me! You don't know how much I waited for this, you know."

"I mean.. Thanks for the compliments mom, you have been working really hard and all so you kinda deserve to have a nice break." Tiredly he gave the key to his mom.

As their conversation continued, the family of two had already taken their seats. His mother was in the driver's seat with Natsugo sitting right next to her.

At first he wondered as to why they didn't just take the bus instead, but apparently the bus schedule wasn't very accommodating to their own trip schedule.

"That's why you should thank Olivia when you meet her, she's the one that's going to pay for all of this."

"Of course I will, you've also been saying that for the better part of yesterday and all, along with the fact that we're staying over at that fancy pokémon hotel."

"I was just getting you excited for it as much as I was. And you also forgot that we'll be going there by a luxury boat too." Natsugo's mother was even more sunnier than her usual self.

"That is nice." Without very much more to say, Natsugo propped his head with his palm as his mother got the car started and placed her shoe on the pedal, the family car driving through the sleeping neighborhood. The sight of flying-type pokémon passing through the chilly breeze is what kept Natsugo from falling asleep.

The Pidgeys and the Pidgeottos exercising their wings, the Wingulls and the Starly scavenging for food, and the Pikipeks standing on tree branches while the Hoothoots went about their nocturnal activities.

Sounds of chirps from the trees and distant mountains passed through the car's open windows, and the rustling leaves of bushes and branches ringed in the background courtesy of the prudent normal-type pokémon gathering varieties of berries.

Scenes of nature continued to pass through the car's window sill like a slideshow full of a photographer's proudest work. The combination of a drowsy ambience along with the understated background activity gave the car ride a lulling feel, where they would drop off the vehicle at Mallow's house.

"You know dear, you actually still don't have a pokémon yet do you?" Noticing her son's fixed gaze on the pokémon, his mother looked over to him and said, "I'd be more than happy to give you a pokémon from the Aether Foundation."

"You don't have to mom, Lurantis is fun and helps me out plenty." Indeed, the family's beloved house pokémon has been with Natsugo's mother since her young adult years and is currently resting inside her pokéball.

"I know that, but Lurantis is my pokémon, you should consider getting one of your own to protect and help you when Lurantis isn't around," honestly, for how mature for his age her son is, it still perplexed her that he still didn't have a pokémon in his care yet. "Your friends already have Pokémon with them, so I think it's time for you to join the club you know?"

"I think that might be a good idea actually."

"Really? Then what Pokémon would you like?"

"....."

"Can't choose, can you?"

"I can't, there's so much to pick from."

"How about you come with me to work next time? You can choose one there."

"Thanks mom."

"You're welcome, I'm your mother after all and I want you to be happy." A genuine smile formed on her face, not taking notice of her son's cringing face.

"Ughh... You didn't have to say that last part."

"Hehehe," a soft giggle left her lips as she heard the mutterings of her son, "you're always so serious, but occasionally seeing you like this is always nice."

As the family car turned a corner of a mountain top road, the wide view of the ocean came with the company of beautifully twinkling stars.

But Etsuka didn't take notice of the picturesque view to her side, she kept her eyes on the road, but Natsugo himself always enjoyed the view in this particular strip of road.

Whether he was on foot or inside of an automobile, the medley sight of Hau'oli city's commercial buildings and comparatively modest market stands, the stretching palm trees surrounding, the comparatively quaint suburbs of the city where he can spot the residence of his friends.

The endlessly delicious board of foods from Mallow's local family restaurant, from the humbleness radiating from Lana's house and pier, to the small but potential fueled home of Sophocles house and of course the mansion built to the wayside of the city, where Natsugo met his first ever friend in this new world.

"My son looks so cute like that."

"Shut up."

"Oh, don't be like that, you don't want to spoil the mood when we get to Akala island. It won't do good for you to be rebellious right now."

"Didn't you just say that watching me act like this was nice to you?"

From his remark, another giggle escaped Etsuka's mouth.

"You know dear, I just want to say that I'm proud of you, and I know you don't like it when I say that to you but I mean it really."

"I don't want to hear it not because I think you're being disingenuous, it's just embarrassing to hear it, even if it's just us two."

"And that's why I'm so proud of you. The way you talk so maturely at such a young age and how I never have to lecture or scold you because you're so grown up, raising you has truly been such a gift."

"...I'm sure we've had this conversation plenty of times before."

"That's how much I love you dear."

".....I love you too mom."

Without anything more to say, the silence that followed was a comforting one. The engine of the family car silently whirring as every inch of road left ahead continues to be driven over the four legs of rubber tires.

Minutes passed as they reached Hau'oli City and were nearing a checkpoint to their holiday trip, the distant but sure sight of ocean liners docked near the largest bay of Hau'oli City were an appealing sight as they ever were.

As was the empty market stands that stood near the beaches, where fruits, vegetables, and berries are regularly sold to tourists or locals, but currently no commercial activity was happening.

Sounds of ambience composed of yawns and morning preparation slowly filled the air as Etsuka drove to the marina, the sun making a steady pace to rise on its apex.

"We're almost there dear," Etsuka said as she pulled out her phone from her bag and called a contact with one hand, after a few seconds of beeps someone answered. "Hello? Olivia, can you hear me?"

Natsugo himself wanted to comment on the fact that his mother was using her phone while driving, but the name Olivia caught his priorities first.

"Yeah, we're nearing the marina... Okay, thank you I'll see you there..... I know! It's going to be so great.. Hm? Oh you my son? Yes he's actually sitting right next to me." While Etsuka chatted with an island kahuna, her son could only hear one side of the conversation. "I seriously can't wait to try it, I couldn't stop thinking about it since we started planning."

"What are you guys talking about?" Natsugo thought, while he wasn't particularly interested in his mother's chat with a big name, he was getting bored of gazing at the still sleepy streets of the city.

It wasn't his first time when he found himself with few degrees of separation from an individual like Olivia. When he was a few years younger he met Melemele Island's honored Kahuna during the Hana'aku festival. A regional festival celebrated on the 12th of May by all four islands in celebration of the region's founding.

The story behind the festival has been passed down to multiple generations, detailing how the tribes of people from each four islands would constantly war on each other until came the arrival of the four sacred island guardians. And how they influenced the tribesmen to unite as one through the showcase of how Pokémon share their love and compassion with one another, which would convince them to unite and strive for a better future than the act of wrath, where they could see an understanding of each other and appreciate their beauty.

It was definitely one of Natsugo's favorite stories growing up for a second time. How he and his friends would reenact the story in a play when they were in middle school.

"You look like you're having fun dear, we aren't even there yet." His mother remarked with a smile.

"I was just remembering that time when me and my friends acted on stage that one time."

"Ah! You mean when you reenacted 'The Day Alola Came Together?'"

"Yup." His head still propped up by his hand, he continued to gaze outside.

From what Natsugo could see, dawn was steadily approaching as the sky and shine lightened their colors, about 5:49 AM if Natsugo guessed, and simple observations came to him as he made that thought.

"Lana would usually wake up at this time and start the day with some stretches."

Natsugo remembered the times when he stayed over at Lana's house when his mother worked overtime. Her sisters Harper and Sarah would ask if he was her boyfriend leading to sputtering red-faced Lana shooting down their questions while Natsugo would watch on the sidelines. And those two would ask that same question every time he stayed over.

But after that routine, Lana would make Natsugo perform some light stretches and ask him to join her on a short jog through the orange beach after waking up in the morning. It was apparently her daily exercise routine that made her such a good swimmer according to her.

And after those jogs he could clearly recall the time when Mallow came to check on them in the morning with a picnic basket in one hand and carrying a picnic blanket around her shoulder where they would have a pleasant picnic by the shore.

There were also times when he would stay over at Sophocles facility of a house where he would occasionally trip over a doodad of his and occasionally get zapped by his self-made tech or just his Togedemaru, or occasionally something of his might catch on fire or really just lightly combust where luckily Lana was there for most of those incidents. But still, seeing his friend's undying passion for his hobby whether his projects turned out successful or not, he would still push on and improve until he got it right, which was incredibly commendable.

And there were times where Lily herself would invite Natsugo over for a sleepover in her mansion when his mother would be staying at work. Both of them would be walking through the lavish halls while conversing on a variety of stuff, after that, they would always spend their time on the mansions pokémon abundant courtyard, Lily herself would usually observe from the steps connecting to the mansion and the lush grove while Natsugo took a more hands-on approach with the docile creatures.

But regardless of the way they would handle Pokémon, both childhood friends always enjoyed the moments of fun between them.

"Natsugo? Are you there?" Etsuka interrupted her son's reminiscing, slightly jarring him as he noticed that they were nearing Mallow's house. "Olivia's waiting for us, and over the phone she said she has a surprise for you dear."

"Really? What is it?"

"Wouldn't telling you ruin that surprise, I don't even know what it is."

"Bringing it up in the first place kind of ruins the surprise though doesn't it?"

"Are you sure about that? I think that's got you even more excited for the surprise though, isn't the anticipation killing you?"

After turning through a corner, Mallow's house (that also doubled as a restaurant) came into view. Etsuka slowly decelerating the car, Natsugo could see from the window that Mallow was the first to exit the front door, followed by her father.

"Alola! Natsugo! And Alola! Mrs. Ferrum!" Mallow greeted, her hair slightly disheveled.

"Alola Mallow." Natsugo greeted as his mother parked the car near the sidewalk of Mallow's house.

Unlocking the car doors, Natsugo was the first to step out of the automobile, Mallow standing right next to him eager to ask some questions regarding his leisure trip, her father conversing with his mother about things that didn't concern her.

"I'm so jealous of you! I've never been to Akala island ever!" Mallow exclaimed with a gloomy disposition. "I've always wanted to go travel outside of Melemele island..."

"Well maybe next time, who knows maybe that pokémon school we'll be going to soon might fund a school trip."

"Hmmm, I wish... But hey! Enough about me, you should get out there and have fun!"

"I'm already outside though."

"Jeez, you know that's not what I'm talking abou—"

"Boun!"

"!?.. Hey!"

Out of nowhere, Mallow's partner pokémon since her childhood suddenly hopped on Natsugo's white mop of hair, carefully straddling on his cushioned head.

"Bounsweet." The victim in question muttered as the culprit continued to play around his hair, rolling around without a care while its owner giggled to herself. "Can you stop that?"

"Hehehe, c'mon Bounsweet get over here." Holding out her arms, bounsweet obediently hopped on her outstretched hands.

"Jeez, everytime..." Natsugo muttered, fixing his ruffled hair.

"You know that Bounsweet likes to jump on your head, it makes her happy."

"Yeah I know that, it just catches me off guard all the time."

"But doesn't Bounsweet's aroma stick to your hair? It always smells good."

"Yeah, and it also attracts bird pokémon to put their butts on my head. It's annoying when I have plucks of feathers every few minutes."

The two friends' conversation continued for a few more minutes before Natsugo and his mother had to get to Hau'oli City's busiest marina on foot, both Mallow and her father said goodbye to both of them as the family car was left in their care.

The distance between Mallow's house in the suburbs and the city marina was surprisingly small when Natsugo inquired his mother about it, who had her purse bag hanging on her left shoulder while her right was occupied by the suitcases as they walked on the city pavement.

"Hopefully no bird pokémon makes their nest on my scalp."

By this point of their getaway trip, the sun began to peak out its edges as more people got about their morning routine, hustle typical of a city as big as Hau'oli were starting to sound as lively as it always is.

Market stands opened for the sale of their wares to customers, people walked with their pokémons and a few cars would occasionally drive past the two.

"It's always so nice here." Etsuka commented.

Natsugo thought so too, he would always hang around here in his free time, whether if he was by himself or with a friend. The times where would just sit on a bench and start Pokémon spotting were always nice, and when he felt like it he would also start ship watching.

"......I wonder what Ash is doing right now?" He can clearly remember that yesterday when he saw ash walk off the pier with his mother and Professor Oak along with his iconic Pikachu on his shoulders during a moment of ship watching.

"Thinking about him just makes me exhausted."

In his previous life, Ash Ketchum is the protagonist of the highly popular Pokémon anime series, where every season he would never age and how Pikachu would inexplicably reset to level five with every new season. And confirming his existence in this world left Natsugo with so many questions, one that he would honestly rather ignore.

But regardless of these thoughts, they weren't much priority to Natsugo's mind as they were nearing their destination, where the volume of footsteps and busywork was gathering like a non-lethal whirlpool. The place where an Island Kahuna was waiting for them.

And it didn't take long for them to find the place they were looking for, off in the far side was a relatively small but luxurious cabin cruiser docked on the edge of the pier, contrasted by the larger ferry boats and transport ships.

"Etsuka! Alola!" Fastly approaching them was the Island Kahuna of Akala Island, Olivia, wearing a different outfit than what Natsugo was used to from her public image.

She instead donned a white sundress that was cropped in the middle that showed her fit stomach, the lower part of her apparel was a matching white frilly skirt, both garments were also sewn in a light breezy fashion.

And the accessories that she wore was her necklace embroidered of different colored smooth pebbles, comfortable slippers made of palm trees, pink sunglasses sitting on her forehead and the white z-ring on her left arm. And that right arm held a pocket-sized paper bag.

"How long has it been!?" Excitedly jaunting at Etsuka, they both eagerly held their hands by the palms, "I've been so busy with work that I can hardly get a break."

"Yeesh, I get you." Etsuka responded. Both giddily sharing their experience of work-related exhaustion to one another, Natsugo himself was minding his business watching the piers sea vessels come and go like he did a day ago.

"Oh! Is this Natsugo?" Approaching him, Olivia inquired. "Your mom told me so many things about you, she's beyond lucky to have a son like you."

"I get told that a lot." Natsugo remarked, earning a giggle from Olivia.

"She's also told me that you have a passion for Pokémon too. And as it so happens I also have a surprise for you."

With her free hand, she pulled out a moderately small black ornate box. Olivia gifted it to him, and in his hands he felt a bit of weight on it. The build of the box itself was identical to that of a case for a wedding ring.

"I think you'll like what's inside."

Indirectly asked by his gifter, Natsugo lifted the top half of the case, revealing the present given by the honored Island Kahuna Olivia.

".....Wow, thanks."

It was a Z-Ring, mostly colored in white, it was cushioned in a woolen stuff fabric of the same color, and was identical in appearance with Olivia's own Z-Ring. The only difference was the vacant diamond shape slot.

"I know your mom told me you were 'Stoic.' But I was expecting a gasp at least." A small sigh left her lips, still she wore a smile as Natsugo took the Z-Ring out of the container.

"This is such a great gift!" Etsuka exclaimed, proudly watching her son receive such a valuable item.

"Don't mention it, I knew this would be the perfect gift for you. People like you are perfect for this gift, and the second I laid eyes on you, I knew I didn't misjudge."

Receiving a gift like this at such a young age was a considerably big deal, especially for any budding pokémon trainer, and Natsugo himself didn't have a pokémon in his care yet.

"Even if you don't have a Pokémon yet,and even if it doesn't come with a Z-Crystal, think of this gift as a sign to come, you've got potential, trust me on that."

"You're really putting a lot on my shoulders here.."

"Don't worry about it, you're still young, you can cross that bridge when you get to it. Right now, we're all here to have a good time aren't we Etsuka?"

"Right! Oh my Arceus, we shouldn't hold up, we have to make the most out of this."

"Exactly! Now come on you two, this cruise ship isn't going to sail by itself won't it?"

Leading them by the deck, Olivia, Natsugo and his mother boarded the luxury vessel. It's next stop to the northwest of Melemele Island, the large body of land that was Akala Island.

By the deck of the ship, Etsuka was tightly holding onto the railways as waves of water sped past her eyes, protected by sunglasses courtesy from her purse bag, while the sun shined on her body.

Natsugo himself was standing by the helm of a speeding vessel, protected from the rays of the sun by the helm's sunroof. The one operating it to its destination wasn't him though, it was Olivia, donning her sunglasses to protect her eyes, navigating the crashing waters with the turn of a steering wheel.

The sight of an Island Kahuna like Olivia in a sundress piloting a speeding vessel in sunglasses while the shine of the sun touched her dark skin was a picture that aspiring photographers, painters and magazines would be tripping themselves over at the chance of seeing and immortalizing.

Speaking of tripping over, as Olivia herself was giving them a small tour of the cabin boat, she accidentally tripped on something and fell face first. Apparently, despite her public image of professionalism in the realm of pokémon training, she was actually pretty clumsy at times behind the scenes, which was something that Natsugo didn't expect but his mother knew all too well.

"Isn't this great?" Asked Olivia, keeping her eyes on the blue ocean expanse in front of her as the sound of water crashing on the hull slightly muffled her voice.

"Yeah definitely! It really is!" Natsugo said as his voice was also muffled by the crashing waves, but Olivia still heard him clear.

"I can't remember the last time I actually used this thing to be honest, I've just been so piled on with work lately." Olivia remarked.

"You still do know not to crash it right?" Natsugo said sarcastically.

"Of course I do. In fact, when I was younger, I would always joyride on my parents jet ski all the time when I could. My dad was always a man in tune with the land and sea, he taught me everything there is to know about riding these things. He even gave me my own on my tenth birthday."

"Wow, getting a jet ski at ten years old? Then I have nothing to worry about then. Even if riding a jet ski and a boat like this might be a bit different." By this point of the conversation, both of them were raising their voices with how fast the cabin ship was sailing.

"You have nothing to worry about, my dad also taught me how to ride a cabin boat when I was still a teenager."

"That would imply that your dad owned or at least rented a cabin boat pretty often then?" While not explicitly poor, according to interviews from the media, Olivia's family was very much in the middle class until she was chosen to be an Island Kahuna.

"Yup, occasionally mom would get annoyed on what dad would spend money on, but he would always work hard to get it back double, he inspired me to be who I am today."

"Your dad sounds like a great person Ms. Olivia."

"Please, just call me Olivia, or maybe even Auntie Olivia if you want to!"

"To be honest I'd rather not."

Natsugo's reply got a giggle out of Olivia, who kept navigating the ship's course to its destination, all the while keeping out of harm's way of any seafaring, aquatic pokémon.

And speaking of pokémon, Bird pokémon would occasionally drop by the bow of the ship and on the railways and also the hard top roof of the helm and cabin. Etsuka herself would approach the pokémons that were usually just Taillows and Pellipers, and would respond in kind to her drawing nearby by letting her pet most of them. It was a nice view to look at for both the people on the helm.

"People who can connect with pokémon like that are always so nice aren't they?" Olivia's offhand remark was something Natsugo fully agreed on.

From dedicated work on the Aether Foundation and her caring of pokémon in general as if they were her own. It's what Natsugo admired most about his mother. It was a way for her to let out her negative emotions. Especially after the messy divorce with her ex-husband that he wasn't even conscious for.

His mother's been through a lot, so moments of reprieves like this were always deserved.

"....." Though Natsugo himself can't help but wander his mind to another place when thinking of his mother. The thoughts of his bygone family in his previous life would come second when thinking about Etsuka Ferrum.

From that, disturbing ideas would creep on his mind. Implications of reincarnation nullifying the significance of life, powers that exist that can even do such a feat, and the affairs proceeding his death. Thoughts that unsettled him, an intangible feeling...

But stemming from this was a sense of boldness for Natsugo, this seminal second life given to him by the formless god figure was something he didn't want to waste, especially with his seventeen years of previous baggage strapped on his shoulders. Those creeping problems, Natsugo will confront when the time comes. Right now, he'll try to make his mother happy.

Saying a passing remark to Olivia, he walked out of the helm and into the bright hot, hair winding sun shining deck, gazing at the view of his mother scratching and petting the avian creatures crowding around her.

Her face was always in a sunny smile everytime she was doting on Pokémon, in the environments of the Aether Foundation or in natural areas.

Natsugo continued to watch his mother's pampering with a grin, while leaning his arms on the railway. Watching as cargo boats, fishing boats and ferry ships would occasionally pass them by.

"Taillow! Taillow! Taillow!"

"Excuse me?"

On his right side was a squabbling Tailow perching itself on the rails, its talons gripping tightly so as to not be blown away by the pushing wind against it.

"Taillow!"

"What do you want?"

"TAILLOW!"

"HEY—!! Get off me!"

It perched itself on the top of Natsugo snow white hair without consent like a tree nest.

"Not again... Every time I forget I have Bounsweet's smell on me," muttering to himself, he kept himself steady as the Tailow nestled comfortably on his head, "I don't want to grab you by the neck, so can you please get off me..."

In an attempt of negotiate, he pleaded to the blue swallow pokémon.

"Taill!" Dismissing his plea, it continued to make its home on top of him, completely hooked on the aroma lingering on his hair.

"How am I gonna get you off me?" Sighing to himself he left the Taillow to its own devices defeated. Forcefully doing it by his hand won't do it, it'll just attack him, so waiting until the smell wears off he did.

"At least you're not digging your talons in me."

It definitely wasn't his first time, exact ordeals would happen a lot more often than he would've preferred, always taking the peaceful decision. Luckily whenever this happens his mother could always convince the nesting culprits to take a leave.

"Don't want to bother my mom though."

"Tail! Taillow!"

"Taillow! Taillow!! Taillow!"

"Taillow!!! Taillow!"

"You're really trying to bust up my ears!?" Despite the reaction he's been through more aggressive incidents regarding this stuff. He zoned out the cries, watching the sea pass by him. Occasionally the passing Buizels and jumping Finneons would catch Natsugo's eyes and the Taillow on top of him.

"Nataugo! Oh! It seems like you've made another friend, honestly, doesn't it get hard to keep up with them?" His mother jokingly teased. The flock of pokémon she was doting on earlier flew off the boat in different directions.

"Do you want me to help you with that dear?" She asked.

"No, it's fine, this guy isn't hurting me."

"I think that's a lady you have there."

"Really? I didn't notice, it just jumped on me before I could tell."

"Taill! Taill! Taill!"

"Aren't you a cute one? You look quite healthy don't you?"

"Taillow!"

Responding positively to Etsuka's approach the pokémon nesting on her son's head accepted a nice head rub and scratch on its soft plumage.

Natsugo himself stood still during the whole thing, feeling the Taillow's body loosening into a soft ball of feathers like it was about to take a nap on top of him.

(Currently stumped on what to write next. Also another question, should I give Natsugo's friends pokemon unique names or not?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom