• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Treasure Town ~ Woodland Outskirts

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
“Yeah,” said Brisa, her expression conflicted. “I ain’t never been one fer fancy shindigs. This one went just fine, thanks to Starr and Luz, but the last time I was invited to a formal gatherin’ I accidentally got myself into a duel.”

She grinned wistfully. “Put him in the dust in a second flat. Darn pretty thing t’see.”

Brisa followed Astrid’s lead and stretched out on her side. Stars, it felt good to relax.

“Bet I could do the same to you,” she told her friend, a faint smile playing at her mouth. She probably could have done it before, but now that she’d evolved… Well.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Astrid was no stranger to winning — and losing — fights with larger opponents. But she was also well aware of Brisa’s physical strength, and knew that it would not be a favorable matchup at close range. The evolution only sealed the deal.

But she couldn’t help herself.

“Bet I can stick your tail in your mouth in one go-around,” Astrid lipped back. Her heart beat a little faster, and she chuckled, “…heh. I wasn’t expecting us to challenge one another so quickly.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Something about getting banter back from someone always made Brisa restless, and hearing it from Astrid made her fur spark off involuntarily.

“You’re on,” she said, without a second’s thought. “A fight’s always better before food, anyhow.”

She got to her feet and prowled to the clearing where she’d been practicing.

“Let’s see if you’re all that, Astrid,” she jibed with a grin. “I've been waitin’ for this awhile now.”

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Astrid stopped watching the river’s crawl and followed Brisa, making note of the scorch marks planted across the open dirt canvas like arbitrary paint strokes. The water behind her was likely far enough from the clearing to be nothing more than a backdrop (she supposed that falling in would be a fantastic way to lose), but it was still worth keeping an eye on.

Also worth keeping an eye on: Brisa looked smaller when she was further away, which didn’t fool Astrid. She paced along her side of the field and hummed a springtime tune. Spacing was everything here.

After she’d stretched, all that was left was to plant her feet and breathe. Her tongue subconsciously peeked out the edge of her mouth, though she was uncertain if Brisa could tell from her position. Her heartbeat had been steadfast, stable, but prepared to race. The grass waved gently in the nonexistent breeze; the river continued to churn. Everything about their environment was alive and moving… except for the two of them. In their final moment of respite, Astrid and Brisa were completely still.

Then, an invitation.

“I’m ready yesterday!”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
“I’ve been ready for years!” answered Brisa, grinning fiercely.

She broke into an easy sprint, bounding forwards with her jaws sparking, ready to test Astrid’s mettle. Her brain shunted the obvious strategies down and churned through more creative ones, eager to go toe-to-toe with a decent opponent.

Radiant Arrest as an interrupt for attacks with significant wind-up time. Thunder Cage as a punisher for stalling. The good old tail-trip as a juke, perfect for exploiting a moment’s surprise and putting teeth to her opponent…

Oh, how powerful she was in this form.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
By the way her friend ran, Astrid could tell Brisa wasn’t nursing anything. This world really did have bizarre healing properties. She didn’t plan to file any complaints though.

Instead, she began to paint.

Particles in the air around her liquified, then immediately crystallized. With a dismissive flick of her paw, she sent forth one, two, three small blasts of Radiant ice, the first aimed at the ground in front of Brisa, the others flanking either side.

The first—which, of course, Brisa dodged—slammed into the ground with a sschink! and scattered tiny chunks of ice into the waving grass. Where there had been nothing before, an ice sculpture taller than Astrid but shorter than Brisa formed.

She started running to the side, drawing a wide circle around the edge of the field. Yeah, yeah! I just gotta… I just gotta get her in position, and…

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Like hell was she gonna let Astrid set up unhindered.

Brisa’s eyes caught fire with radiance as she hit Astrid with restraining bars of light, and then again as the vulpix, eyes wide, did her very best to weave out of the trap. Oh, she was good. Better than most. But Brisa wouldn’t let up until she was upon her.

“Brace yerself, Astrid!”

Her Radiant Arrest was even more potent now. Ever since she connected to Luz, the light she called on had become truly fierce, clutching at her opponent with all the tenacity in Brisa’s heart. She raced towards Astrid, ready to dive on her in a flurry of physical attacks.

You’re mine.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
She barely saw it coming in time. Bright lights descended like jaws, quickly enclosing. Electricity nipped at her tails and she grit her teeth, digging into the dirt and pivoting away. With nothing but a prayer and Truffle’s words, she clenched her tails and willed the Radiance away from her. If it worked at all, it didn’t give her much room to dodge. She tried her best anyway. Duck, roll, jump, roll—!

—and then she was in the open again, away from the supercharged jungle. Astrid whipped her head back around at Brisa and gave a nod. She’d kept her footing, but the paralysis had indeed gotten her.

Heal Bell was her first instinct, and she paused for a microsecond. But the Radiance urged her on. Forget that! Offense!

“Nice one!” She resumed her circular path and fired a blizzard of blinding ice in Brisa’s direction, then changed her angle to spiral towards her at a more aggressive angle. A final Radiant Iceberg aimed between Brisa’s eyes followed, and Astrid began to charge her head on. “Come on! Come on!”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Astrid was going to freeze her. She’d paralysed Astrid. Everything depended on whether, when Brisa came to a stop, she was within biting distance of her friend or left open to ranged attacks. Even then, she could land a solid Thunder Cage… But she needed to make contact to be sure of a win. All she had to do was close the gap.

With a rising yowl, she did.

Brisa slammed through the radiant ice structures as they manifested, her pelt blazing with a Wild Charge, and then into Astrid. It knocked the wind out of Brisa just to deliver it, surely the blow would absolutely crush the vulpix. The impact force sent them flying, and Brisa did what she could to cling to her friend, as much to shield her as to ensure she stayed in melee range.

They tumbled over each other, limbs stiff with electricity and ice crystals, a tiny localised thundersnow barrelling across the riverbank. Astrid slipped a little from Brisa’s limbs but she couldn’t let go, she wouldn’t lose–! Something tripped in Brisa’s mind at the need to defeat Astrid.

Brisa had to take control. Show her power. Make Astrid yield.

She reached out and bit down…

I win. You’re mine. Say that it’s so.

When they came to a stop, Astrid was beneath Brisa, and…

...oh, yes. Brisa had seized her by the neck. With her jaws. She’d known what she was doing, she just… got carried away.

Ah.

Oh, fuck.

Her brain shut down, shunting combat to the side and trying to process how to walk back what she’d just done, whether the shame she was about to feel would fuck up her entire fucking week, whether Astrid would take offence or forgive her–

Somehow in the mess of panicked worrying, Brisa forgot to let go of Astrid’s throat.

Brisa wasn’t biting down, just… holding her there. Teeth pressed firmly into her fur. Not easy to wiggle out of without risking injury. Not painful either. If she wanted to, she could crush Astrid’s windpipe. But she didn’t. And surely Astrid would realise that too.

Maybe Astrid would just yield. Maybe they wouldn’t even talk about it.

Goddamnit.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
In the end, Astrid was an Avalugg flipped on its back. Dazed, heart thumping, paralysis gripping her limbs—and pinned by a greater weight.

Teeth brushed along the fur of her neck, halting whatever processing she’d been attempting. Whether Brisa pinning her by her lifeline was intentional or not, the battle was obviously over. Astrid was about as dead as it could get in these circumstances.

“Ha-hah…” She tested her voice, and was reminded of how hard the wind had been knocked out of her moments prior. “G-guess that’s that, huh Brisa?”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa gingerly removed her jaws from Astrid’s throat, and felt her breath catch.

“Yeah,” she said, quietly, afraid to make the situation worse. “You… you fought really well. It was a damn good fight. I’m impressed. Hope you’re, uh. Okay.”

She looked away, feeling her ears burning so much that surely Astrid would be able to tell. Fuck, fuck, fuck fuck fuck.

“...sorry about the finisher, there,” she finished, lamely.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Just… That's just how– It's nothin', just a stupid finishin' move I oughtn't to be usin', I… it was the Radiance, I just got carried away–"

She was such a fucking bad liar. She could feel Astrid's scepticism. Fuck.

"It might also be. How some folks… court other mon. Back where I'm from."

Maybe if Brisa used enough Radiance to explode, she would literally fucking die, and not have to have this conversation, ever.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
“Ohhh,” Astrid cooed, believing with her entire innocent heart that she understood. “That’s—huh. So it’s like, a cultural thing. Neat!” She rubbed her neck gingerly, but there was no need. She’d sustained no injuries there. “…Hey, there’s no need to apologize.”

Her tails flexed, and the ambience of nature gave way to the relaxing chime of a nonexistent bell. Within seconds, Astrid could feel the weight lift from her body, smiling when the ice she’d coated Brisa with melted away at Heal Bell’s jurisdiction.

And then, she walked over and planted herself in the grass by the river, where the sun glistened off of her white fur and the water rushed through her vision like downtown traffic without the stress. The river was at its widest so far, and curiously, a tiny island of gravel and sand seemed to rise just barely above the water near the opposite bank. Astrid thought about going for it, because why wouldn’t she, but…

Maybe in a moment. Maybe not. She was with a friend right now, and to show for it, she patted the spot next to her. “C’mon over! The river keeps this spot cool.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
...huh.

Astrid took that surprisingly well. Maybe… maybe she was open to–

Brisa couldn’t even finish the thought. She really needed to talk to someone about this. Someone who would actually understand. Who’d get it. But she wasn’t sure she even knew anyone who could and would give her the advice she sorely needed. Goddamnit.

But it was alright. The fight had been a thrill, and now the two of them could enjoy a peaceful moment together. Gods knew she needed more of those.

Brisa joined Astrid by the river’s edge, her awkwardness softening already.

“Y’know, you’re a real sight on the battlefield,” she said. “I already knew you were somethin’ special from seein’ you in our fights as a team, but there’s nothin’ like a duel to find out exactly what kind of fighter a person is. You’re somehow a tactician, a scrapper, and a goddamn artist all at once.”

She blew out a long breath. How much of what she was saying was reasonable, and how much was just from battle-high and… what just happened? Fuck…

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Astrid thought it might be a compliment in passing—a courtesy. But then it kept coming, and coming, and all she could focus on was the river, because damn, it wasn’t like she could look at Brisa. Damn. I…

Best she could expect from Mincinno was his usual well-intentioned, gruff advice. How to do this. How to dodge that. How to fix problems. But Brisa wasn’t talking about her problems at all, drawing Astrid to discover a new one about herself: compliments like this broke her brain.

“Th-Thank you. I, um—” Didn’t know how to respond, for one. She cleared her throat and reloaded. “—gah, I’m not good at this stuff. Thank you, really. My boss always says to play hard instead of work hard, and, I dunno. It’s the opposite of what I was told growing up so I’ve really taken it to heart.”

“Didn’t work against you though,” Astrid followed up a moment later, shoving Brisa’s shoulder and grinning. “Not much does.”

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa grinned and shoved back, tension forgotten.

“What can I say? I spend half my time trainin’ and suchlike. I’ll spar with you any time you fancy, of course. It was a pleasure.”

Astrid hadn’t taken offence to her… mishap, but she hadn’t exactly reciprocated either. It was so hard to know what she was supposed to do. But Astrid seemed so happy, so nothing could be too wrong, could it?

“How are ya feelin’ after all that, anyway? You wanna settle down for some grub, or…?”

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
She wasn’t often deterred from good food, but Astrid still felt energized from the battle. Energized… and sore. She’d get stiff if she kept sitting like this.

And for goodness sake. There was a river here. Rivers only meant one thing.

“You wanna race down the river to the treeline wayyy down there? I figure it’s only a couple kilometers away.” Astrid smiled wide and tried not to look at the toned legs she had just decided to challenge.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
“Only if yer prepared to lose again,” Brisa replied, already stretching her body in preparation for a good race. She ran plenty often, but a race was something she hadn’t done in a long while…

Sparks flew off her mane as she shook her head loose.

“First to tap a tree trunk wins, go on the count of three?” she suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom