• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Treasure Town ~ Marketplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
“It depends. If I’m about to trip and fall into some soft grass, no, not getting warned for that. If I’m going to trip and fall into a pit of spikes, or the burrow of a very hungry feral Heracross, yes, I’d get warned for that. Even just falling into a cold river could activate it, the pain doesn’t have to be fatal.”

Though he tried to keep up an upbeat mood, he couldn’t help but feel bitter while talking about the sense he’d lost. As far as possible things to shift the topic to, the only other thing they’d been talking about was Cuicatl’s sightlessness, which he suspected was a subject she’d enjoy being grilled on about as much as he was enjoying explaining his lost sense. He took a moment to think about how to take the conversation in a direction everyone would be comfortable with.

“Hey, Astrid, what about you? Or rather, what’s it like to be you? You’ve been patiently listening while Cuicatl and I talk about ourselves, I figure it’s your turn.”

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Paradoxically, Astrid felt weaker than ever listening to them talk. Her only disability at the moment was a depleted arsenal of attacks—a setback that her entire group shared, after all. Her eyes worked fine. She wasn’t missing anything, necessarily. What could she say here?

“Uhm, well…” she cleared her throat, buying her precious seconds to think. Mist blew from her nose from the exhale that followed. Best to start with the basics, she supposed.

“I’m an explorer.” But she’d already said that, so… “Er, I’m a cartographer also. I’m part of a broad expedition effort to create a detailed map of my entire world. It’s been on hiatus for a bit, but we were hoping to get it started again soon once a few domestic matters were taken care of. I’d been looking forward to going back to where I grew up to add that to the map, but I guess it’ll have to wait.” A paw was raised, gesturing to nowhere in particular. “Especially with all this going on now.

“Oh, and I fight crime too!” she added with a cheery smile. “With my teammates, of course. Goodness, those two idiots…”

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
"You could make a map of this world, if it helps. Could pass the time."

“Mhm. I wonder how similar this world is to mine, anyway,” Astrid thought aloud. “My world has a Treasure Town too. It has a beach just like the one we were at. Though, some of the buildings are certainly different. Or am I remembering right…?”

"And teammates? I don't think you told me about them."

“Oh, they’re… augh, they’re insufferable sometimes. Our team leader, Mincinno, is a real hard-head. He loves to fight baddies and discover new places and then act like it’s the easiest thing in the world. He’s so competitive.” She leaned back. “And—hoo boy—don’t even get me started on Helioptile. He talks and acts like he’s from another dimension, and he fights like he’s blind—”

Astrid locked up. God… dammit! I did it again!

“I-I mean, like he’s… he can’t really aim, so…” She sighed, ears flattening. “…My bad.”

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Oh no, I'll have to refer you to Pokemon Resources for that one, Astrid, Diyem deadpanned. Sensitivity training.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Oh no, I'll have to refer you to Pokemon Resources for that one, Astrid, Diyem deadpanned. Sensitivity training.

So the Charizard had a sense of humor. From wherever he sat in the astral plane, Astrid could practically hear his eyes rolling.

She rolled hers right back at him, unconcerned with the fact that he probably couldn’t see her (thankfully she didn’t have to worry about Cuicatl noticing her making facial expressions at the sky, since, well…)

‘Har har, you flaming comedian. Very funny.’

“It’s fine! Really! She doesn’t need to get in trouble!”

“Eheh…” She cleared her throat. Hadn’t she already done that though? Too late now. “Yeah. That’s my team…”

She looked around, suddenly frowning. She knew they weren’t here with her on this adventure; that part wasn’t hard to figure out from the start. Helli would’ve said something nebulously stupid by now. Mincinno would’ve made an old fashioned inappropriate joke. She knew she was going in solo, and yet… hrm.

TheGOAT

🗿
Pronouns
Him/his
Partners
  1. serperior
  2. alolatales-goat
Astrid giggled. “I heard that. You’re one big starving Absol, huh?”

Her own stomach wasn’t growling at her… but, like after a long day of dungeoneering, the need for food lingered there nonetheless.

“And yeah! I haven’t eaten anything yet.” She glanced over at the domed building just barely sticking out over clusters of shacks and shops near the edge of the marketplace. “The dojo, you said? I hope it’s cozy.”

She leaned down next to Cuicatl, pointing—though in hindsight she wasn’t sure why. “It’s just down the street we came from. Take a right once you feel the dirt soften under your feet at the main square.”

Day 1 evening ~ Zane enters the abandoned marketplace

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
It wasn't stealing. Technically. If it was empty, there was no one to steal from, meaning Zane was, by most conventional measures, definitely not committing a crime. He had an assortment of greenery to leave behind and implicate a grass-type in the act and avoid suspicion, but that didn't automatically make it a crime. In fact, with law being a social-contract, it was made null and void when there wasn't a society that signed the contract present. Without laws, it is impossible to break any.

Nonchalant, careful, not suspicious steps as he very casually made his way through the market-place scoping out the perfect target. Instinct shot him as far from the Kecleons' as possible as soon as he saw it. Worlds removed, he still feared those beings. A gaudy, pink, out-of-every-non-February-seasonal store seemed perfect for his noble pursuit.

Glancing around ensured yes, he was still alone. He dropped a few leaves on his path up to the front. A sizable pile planted at the front, he went around in search of a back entrance.

RJR Basimilus

Arceus is nice I suppose...
Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
Seyka watched the Zangoose scurry around in the darkness with interest. He hadn't seen anyone around since he had wandered off earlier in the day and was happy to see someone still around.

"Are you scouting too?" he shouted in the darkness. "Maybe you can teach me how to see in the dark better!"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
...Zane. What are you doing.

The voice came from above, vaguely, but it was certainly directed toward Zane and Seyka.

I don't think this area is safe. You're too far from the others. A strange entity was near Starr only moments ago and I don't want that happening while you're far from others.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Two? "Scouting!" he fumbled, dropping the rest of his leaves. "Right, of course!" His nerves couldn't be more obvious in his smile, but he was doing his best. You couldn't have warned me someone was tailing me? What kind of back up are you? he angrily prayed to Diyem.

"A specific kind of scouting, though," he said, looking back to Seyka. "I used to work as a security tech, so I'm checking the local business for vulnerabilities." I need you to tell him to go away.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
I need you to go back before something bad happens, Diyem said. What are you doing? Stealing? You realize that if you save the town, they're going to find out it's you. I cannot believe I summoned you. Now hurry. There's a strange distortion east of you that's moving, and I don't know why I can't see in that general direction.

RJR Basimilus

Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
"Oh that's nice," Seyka said, tilting his head. "Do they pay well for that sort of thing? In my opinion at least-" he trailed off, leaning close. "In a place like this, you might as well run a protection racket!"

The Skarmory laughed.

"Aha, but that's too much effort. I wonder what kind of security these huts would even have though, it's been so long since I lived in a house."

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
It's not stealing, and I already have a foolproof plan so they don't find out it's me. "It's not good security, no," Zane remarked. "And I've no interest in their money." That much, at least, was true. "I'm only seeking the betterment of the community and its safety," he said as he smashed his claws through a window.

"Did you hear that?" he asked incredulously. "Windows this quiet make it way to easy for criminals to sneak in." He scraped the broken glass at the bottom of the window aside and vaulted in. "Hopefully they at least have anti-theft measures, but unfortunately there's only one way to find out."

RJR Basimilus

Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
Seyka walked over, peering inside where the Zangoose had entered. "Well, you're not wrong," he replied, idly looking around. "I'm sure your efforts will be appreciated, but couldn't your methods be slightly more refined?"

The Skarmory sighed. "Ahh, you've done a lot better than me in any case. I spent the whole day looking for something interesting, and you know what I found? Nothing."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Zane, you are supposed to be a hero here, what are you doing?! Making that sort of attack--you're going to attract it! Get out of there before--

As it turned out, there were indeed anti-theft measures. While somewhat delayed, moments after Zane stepped through the window, a sudden, loud and blaring alarm rhythmically and rapidly beeped from the ceiling.. Some new, strange technology, no doubt, but an effective one to draw attention to the thief.

But there was nobody to answer the call, not when everyone had been evacuated.

Everyone except...

...No. Zane, stop whatever asinine plan you have and run. It hears you. Now. No time. The distortion is approaching your lo . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom