• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Treasure Town ~ Marketplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen briefly stopped his march when he spotted Mellow. With a friendly wave, Owen grinned and called, "Hey, Mellow!" Though indeed, it seemed like they were in the middle of some part of their mission.

Disco

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
They/Them
Mellow smiled back and watched them go by. For a moment she considered joining the other two... But then looked over her shop and sighed. No, whatever it was, it was probably something that she wouldn't be able to handle. Not because she was scared! But...she just didn't have the desire to fight in her and never really had...

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Right. I'm thinking we try walking around, looking or sniffing or whatever, and seeing if we see or detect anyone who seems infected, or anyone suspicious who could be a transformed Darkwhite. While it's not too busy we can probably start by entering the shops and making sure the shopkeepers are in order?"

As the other Charmander waved at them, Dave cocked his head. There'd... yeah, there'd been another Charmander in the battle, right? Probably? He hadn't ever spoken to them. He squinted at her little tea stand.

"Wait, are you just here selling tea now?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Looks like," Owen said, shaking his head with a smile. While Dave was looking through Mellow's wares, Owen went on ahead to check on the nearest shop. His eyes gleamed a little, and a strange feeling ran along the back of his head as he activated Miracle Eye. He could see what couldn't be seen with light and optics alone, perhaps not aura, but something similar to it.

The first few shops, however, seemed to be completely devoid of slugs. He nodded and waved toward his team, giving an 'all clear' thumbs-up of some kind with his claws. Somehow that seemed to translate properly...

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Okay, good. Let's move on down the street, then, check the other shops before we come back here."

Just the same, Dave first stuck his nose to the ground briefly and concentrated on the smells of the people walking around the marketplace right now, seeing if his Odor Sleuth could find anything suspicious.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
The search went on for a little while with little results to show for it. The main street was probably too obvious a place to infect, if the slugs had any sense of caution--which they potentially did not. Another scent was disrupting Dave's ability to smell, coming from the curry restaurant from earlier. Yet it was tinged with something... else. A spicy aroma that was not like curry, more ethereal, and one that Owen had not yet inspected--he was taking on the other side of the street.

Owen motioned behind him with another thumbs up, looking a little disheartened. Still, no news was good news; he kept telling himself that.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Huh. Dave's ears perked up as he realized the other spicy smell there wasn't just the curry. "Hold on, I'm picking up something."

He followed his nose towards the ethereal scent.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen looked back. "Huh?"

He lightly jogged after Dave and entered the restaurant. A waiter bent down and tried to address them, but Owen quickly asked if they could enter to see if they could find something. A little bewildered, the waiter agreed and let them through.

In the back of the room, in a solitary table, was one of the gigantic curry bowls. Sitting in front of it was what appeared to be a Minun. The bowl itself was nearly the same size as her, but that wasn't the most striking thing about her. She was surrounded in a black, purple, gold haze, and her eyes were black with white irises.

Was that--?

Nobody noticed. Were her eyes and haze invisible to natives?

Minun was staring down the bowl like it had insulted her, but in this argument, Minun was losing.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Oh, fuck," Dave muttered under his breath. He glanced back at Owen. As best he understood it getting the slugs out of people would always involve beating the snot out of them. But he wasn't exactly keen on starting a brawl in a restaurant. Maybe they could get the Minun to cooperate?

"Hey, uh, how are you doing?" he said instead. His muscles were tense, ready to react.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
The blackened Minun stopped her stare-down and looked to Dave, tilting her head. "Oh?" Minun asked. "How does it look like I'm doing?! I know you idiots took on this curry challenge and couldn't beat it, and I thought I could, too!" Darkwhite snarled and slammed her tiny fist on the table, leaving little impact. "But CLEARLY, this restaurant cheated. That's the only reason it's impossible to win."

Owen was frozen in place.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Wait. Fuck. It was her.

Dave felt a shiver go down his spine, his fur standing on end. Again he glanced at Owen, but he was frozen, staring.

He turned back toward Darkwhite, his mind racing as instinct told him to get the hell out of there. What was she really doing here? "Oh yeah," he said. "It seems like a total ripoff. This your first time in this place? Or do you like to hang around the marketplace, blend in?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"First time here aside from that other time I played with your friends," Darkwhite replied, prodding at the curry with her spoon, frowning. "I wanted to have a good time with this dish but now I have to pay! And I don't have any money! Do you think someone like me carries money? No! I'm supposed to be the bad guy! I don't pay bills! Or taxes! Oh!" And suddenly, a devilish grin spread across her face. "We're friends, right?" she asked Dave and Owen.

"F-friends?" Owen asked, suddenly regaining his senses.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Oh yeah, sure, best friends." Something about that ethereal scent was still calling to him, like something was only just beyond his reach. He concentrated hard on it, trying to sniff out whatever he could tell. "You hear Team Spice is back?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Darkwhite:
HP: 1000
If defeated, revives with full health multiple times.

"Team Spice? I did! Good job on finding them." Darkwhite winked at Dave, then looked to Owen. "So. what do you think? Do you believe me now? I told you they were alive and on the Grass Continent. Yet a little birdie told me you don't believe me on the other thing I said. I'm so offended." Darkwhite sniffed and wiped a black tear from her eye. "I work so hard to help you guys out and this is how you repay me. Maybe I'll beat up that Absol for it. Or I'll just cause more trouble." Her faux-sadness quickly shifted to impish glee.

"If you're my friends," Darkwhite said, "you'll foot the bill for this curry!"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave didn't know how the fuck he knew what he'd just found out from her scent, but he did. Definitely every reason to think they didn't want a fight.

"Yeah, a 'society sinking into the darkness', wasn't it? Hey, tell you what. We'll pay for your curry if you give another hint about that one. Because that first one says fuck-all." By which he meant the God Squad would pay, if he had anything to say about it. "A society, are you talking like a little club around here or an entire separate community of people?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Uhuhu... huhu..." Darkwhite giggled and pushed the bowl away, like it wasn't worth her time anymore. "Are you sure you don't want to know where the infected Pokemon are in this marketplace?"

Owen flinched. "Wait--there actually are? Right here? Right now?"

"Yep, yep, yep, yep, YEP!" Darkwhite raised her arms, giggling rapidly and drawing attention from several other diners. "I'll tell you this much: there are two, and one of them could do something baaaaad..."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Gee, real helpful, telling us about the thing we were already doing. Fantastic." Dave's skin was crawling. "Oh, hey, I worked it out. Guess when we're done here we'll be heading north. Thanks for the tip." He turned towards Owen, subtly watching Darkwhite for a reaction.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Darkwhite flinched. "Wait! Wait wait wait wait! That's not fair!" she jumped off of her seat and landed on Dave's back. "You're supposed to agree and then I'm supposed to give you the hints on where they are! You can't just leave; my scene isn't over yet!"

"Your what?" Owen frowned.

"I'm trying to be the cool and conniving card carrying villain! I'm toying with you! Play along! Otherwise you're being boring and that's not fun!"

By now, several diners were staring at them. Someone from staff had slipped to the back to call for help, but Darkwhite hadn't noticed.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
As the "Minun" landed on him, Dave jerked, snapping an automatic bark at her, trying to shake her off. "Get the fuck off me, you--" His stupid Poochyena brain urgently wanted to run, right now. "Get off!"

Disco

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
They/Them
Mellow sat idly in her chair, whittling away at an apricorn. A little ball of light hovered over the collected herbs and berries while she worked. The marketplace seemed so quiet, but maybe that was because she was focused on her work? She paused and set the nut-like fruit down to take a look around her little section of the place. What a peaceful day....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom