• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[TOWN WINS] Third Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Unfortunately," Qitlan replied, "I am only another participant in this strange little game."
"Ah," Steven brought a hand to his chin, "Unfortunate, indeed. I guess we're stuck waiting, then. I'm a little surprised, though. Usually our host is rather keen on introducing themselves."

"Though..." he paused, considering something. "I'm being rude myself. My name is Steven," he said, bringing a hand to his chest with a slight bow. "I'd say it's a pleasure to meet you, but under such circumstances, I'm not sure if that'd be appropriate."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Yes! Rascal growled to herself, delighted. She remembered that dream long ago, of a game like this, with good guys and bad guys, and she'd gotten a cool power and there had been that white-haired boy with the knife! Was he here now?

She surveyed her companions, then huffed irritably. No sign of the white haired boy and his knife... Still, there seemed to be plenty of potential people to bite fight, including several humans and pokemon.

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
"Questions that are easily answered! The gods do not truly wish to harm us. This is simply a test of our mettle!" He laughed heartily. "As for your second question, the pantheon of gods consists of those you may otherwise know as 'legendary Pokémon'... beings such as Zygarde, Zekrom, Mew, Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia. Those are only some of the all-powerful rulers of the world."
"Whwh--did you just talk?!" Archie looked around him in bewilderment. Yes, the Pokemon were talking. And it wasn't like communicating with his Sharpedo--they were speaking human languages, all conversing easily with each other. His heart raced. He had never expected to experience anything like this. He reached into his pockets--but there were no Pokeballs there. A pang of loneliness hit his heart.

Where was Sharpedo? It seemed that Archie couldn't do anything for his friend now, but whatever the case, he hoped Sharpedo was okay.

He listened to Antares and his curiosity was piqued. "A test from the gods...?" He rubbed the stubble on his chin thoughtfully. Was all of this connected to the Weather Trio somehow? It hardly seemed like it. He had never come across any Hoenn lore or legends that pointed to a blank, white void.

"You think we're being tested by Pokemon?" he asked Antares. "And you think this 'game' is harmless--so there's no reason for any of us to be afraid."
"Unfortunately," Qitlan replied, "I am only another participant in this strange little game."
He flinched as the strange reptile spoke--how long would it take until he was used to hearing human voices come out of Pokemons' bodies?

A participant in a game... But just what sort of 'game' was this?
"Ah," Steven brought a hand to his chin, "Unfortunate, indeed. I guess we're stuck waiting, then. I'm a little surprised, though. Usually our host is rather keen on introducing themselves."

"Though..." he paused, considering something. "I'm being rude myself. My name is Steven," he said, bringing a hand to his chest with a slight bow. "I'd say it's a pleasure to meet you, but under such circumstances, I'm not sure if that'd be appropriate."
Archie turned cold as he laid his dark eyes on the silver-haired man. Now this was someone he was familiar with. Though the Pokemon League as an organization was nigh-useless, and every effort the Hoenn authorities had made to hunt down and stop Team Aqua thus far failed, Archie was aware that the Champion was an exceptionally powerful Pokemon trainer.

But how would he fare with his Pokemon absent? The young man was very lean with no visible scars, bruises, or any other signs of battle experience. Archie was confident he'd go down easily in a fistfight.

His mind raced. If he were to dispose of Steven now, things would be easier once he got home. All of Hoenn would freak out over the disappearance of their Champion, and Team Aqua would be freer to look for the Orbs, to act without fear of retribution...

His eyes scanned the others and he grimaced. There was a Luxray, Garchomp, Floatzel, Absol... Though Archie knew he was the strongest human there (just what kind of suit was that other green-eyed frilly boy wearing?), he wouldn't last long in front of the Pokemon. Putting his hands on his hips, he leaned back. Maybe he could follow along with the 'game' they all had to play and allow things to unfold that way.

"So!" he bellowed out in his gravelly voice. "Anyone got any clues as to what 'game' we're playing, or how we win, or how we get home?"

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Dorien kept quiet as he listened to the others talk amongst themselves, and let introductions slide. Needless to say some of the names these people and 'mon had were...something. But what they had to say was somehow much harder to follow. That Antares guy was really droning on and on about fucking legendaries and whatnot, while most of the others seemed to have more, well, down to Earth ideas on what was going on here. Somebody even mentioned truth or dare? Gods, he sure as hell hoped not.

But, nobody had an actual concrete explanation, so the excessive words might as well have been air to him. No use in running mouths when there was nothing but a white void to go off of.

"Tout le monde souffle de la fumée. Énervant," he muttered to himself.

He sipped warily from his glass again, becoming somewhat startled to see it was nearly half empty. He unfortunately hadn't been taken here with another bottle, so this was the best he was going to get.

So Karo waddled up to the sharp-dressed, possibly-Kalosian guy, peering up at him through deepset eyes. "Hi."
He was startled for a second time, this time more so, by the sound of a greeting from his feet. His shoulders jolted, and snapped his head down to meet Karo's eyes. Having not expected a Pokemon to be standing there, he blinked a few times to gather his senses back.

"Bonjour," he said pensively. It then dawned on him that that was a Galarian greeting, and he cleared his throat. "Hello. Can I help you?"

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
He was startled for a second time, this time more so, by the sound of a greeting from his feet. His shoulders jolted, and snapped his head down to meet Karo's eyes. Having not expected a Pokemon to be standing there, he blinked a few times to gather his senses back.

"Bonjour," he said pensively. It then dawned on him that that was a Galarian greeting, and he cleared his throat. "Hello. Can I help you?"

Karo suppressed a little snort-laugh at the initially startled response. Mostly. Mostly suppressed it.

"Nah. Just sayin' hi." Then it was his turn to be a bit surprised. The guy understood him? Rad. Karo wondered for a moment if this human was, in fact, not human. Or was, but had a hidden "friend" sort of translating for him in an unconscious, psychic manner. Karo caught himself looking the guy over for signs of an implanted crystal for a moment, but of course, of course it wouldn't be visible. Duh.

As he let his attention zoom out and pan across the scene again, he became aware of other humans apparently able to understand pokémon. Huh. He supposed it was just a weird feature of this place rather than anything to do with the people themselves.

In the process of reassessing the situation, he also happened to notice a familiar face.

"Oh hey, hey!" Karo turned away from Kalos-guy with an obnoxious grating of stone on... featureless white floor and made his way toward Hoenn-guy. "Remember me?" It had been years upon years since his gym leader trainer and the champion of Hoenn had last met, evem longer since they'd last had a friendly battle. But it was worth a shot, right?

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Oh hey, hey!" Karo turned away from Kalos-guy with an obnoxious grating of stone on... featureless white floor and made his way toward Hoenn-guy. "Remember me?" It had been years upon years since his gym leader trainer and the champion of Hoenn had last met, evem longer since they'd last had a friendly battle. But it was worth a shot, right?
Steven turned toward the clunk-clunk of approaching footsteps; he could recognize that gait anywhere.

"Hello," he greeted the Nosepass with a genuine smile. Despite what he'd said to Qitian earlier, it was always a pleasure to meet a rock type. Though, as he studied the Nosepass closely, none of its crags and facets were familiar. "Ah, I'm sorry. I pride myself in remembering every rock I meet, and I've met quite a few of your kind, but I don't believe we've met before. It is nice to make your acquaintance now, though."

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
Steven turned toward the clunk-clunk of approaching footsteps; he could recognize that gait anywhere.

"Hello," he greeted the Nosepass with a genuine smile. Despite what he'd said to Qitian earlier, it was always a pleasure to meet a rock type. Though, as he studied the Nosepass closely, none of its crags and facets were familiar. "Ah, I'm sorry. I pride myself in remembering every rock I meet, and I've met quite a few of your kind, but I don't believe we've met before. It is nice to make your acquaintance now, though."

Oh. So, he didn't remember. Or... hmm. Perhaps this Steven wasn't the real Steven somehow. He looked the part, sounded the part. But there was already plenty that was weird about the situation. Pseudo-Stevens weren't too far out there, Karo supposed.

Alternatively... He thought back to all the time he'd spent watching things on the huge screen Ren kept underground. Battle footage, shows, movies... One of those, he recalled, had been centered around the concept of alternative realities. Weird mirror worlds with all the same people, but different versions, with different lives. Maybe this was like some kind of mirror-Steven? Again, it wasn't as if things weren't weird enough to put that possiblity on the table.

"Uh, likewise, heh," Karo responded.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Karo suppressed a little snort-laugh at the initially startled response. Mostly. Mostly suppressed it.
Dorien narrowed his eyes at the rock-type. Surely this thing wasn't trying to be subtle with that, was it? Like it had room to be laughing at him when it was the one who startled him in the first place. Not that there was anything to be startled by; it was just a Nosepass. But, Dorien was feeling particularly jumpy in this void, he supposed.

What did it even want anyway?

"Nah. Just sayin' hi." Then it was his turn to be a bit surprised. The guy understood him? Rad. Karo wondered for a moment if this human was, in fact, not human. Or was, but had a hidden "friend" sort of translating for him in an unconscious, psychic manner.
Nothing. Nothing at all. Perhaps he should have expected as much. Leave it to a Pokemon to go out of its way to be as obnoxious as possible. Pressing his lips together, he exhaled sharply through his nose.

"Charming," he replied slowly.

Karo caught himself looking the guy over for signs of an implanted crystal for a moment, but of course, of course it wouldn't be visible. Duh.
Not even a second later, the Nosepass was suddenly looking him over. Dorien instinctively side-stepped away as he ran his free hand down his suit.

"What are you doing?" he asked, clearly annoyed. "Do I have something you want or not?"

No answer. Just the bugger running off to bother somebody else. He figured that was a good thing, for now. He downed the rest of his champagne and threw the glass off to the side. It was a white void, so it's not like he'd be making much of a mess. When he didn't hear anything shatter, he turned his head to see the cup was completely gone. Swallowed by the white. Because of course it was.

"Quelqu'un va-t-il expliquer ce qui est supposé se passer ici?" he called up toward what he guessed would be the sky. "Et je veux dire vraiment expliquer, pas seulement spéculer?"

As he finished speaking, a tiny robot floated down, seemingly from out of nowhere. Dorien peered intently at it, taking in it's shape and...letters?

"Êtes-vous ici pour--"

Words began to roll across the robot's narrow screen.

Is anybody going to explain what the fuck is supposed to be happening here? And I mean really explain, not just speculate?

There was a pause in the rolling, only to be followed up with:

Are you here to--

Dorien watched the translations, and his expression became something more deadpan. He slowly licked his teeth, then crossed his arms. "Funny. Really funny," he said flatly.

The robot flew off after that.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Oh. So, he didn't remember. Or... hmm. Perhaps this Steven wasn't the real Steven somehow. He looked the part, sounded the part. But there was already plenty that was weird about the situation. Pseudo-Stevens weren't too far out there, Karo supposed.

Alternatively... He thought back to all the time he'd spent watching things on the huge screen Ren kept underground. Battle footage, shows, movies... One of those, he recalled, had been centered around the concept of alternative realities. Weird mirror worlds with all the same people, but different versions, with different lives. Maybe this was like some kind of mirror-Steven? Again, it wasn't as if things weren't weird enough to put that possiblity on the table.

"Uh, likewise, heh," Karo responded.
Steven couldn't help feeling a bit guilty at the Nosepass's reply. He could tell, it seemed downtrodden, but Steven was sure they hadn't met. He could recognize every Nosepass he'd met with just a glance. Maybe, though, there was a way he could make up for it, cheer the little guy up.

He extended a gentle hand. "May I?" he asked.

The Nosepass didn't object, and Steven placed his hand on the edge of its brow, slowly tracing a path up and around the back of its head, mindful of its ears. He could feel the gentle magnetic tug on his rings as he went. Every Nosepass he met enjoyed head rubs, surely this one would be no different.

He eased himself down next to the Nosepass until he was seated cross-legged. Might as well pass the rest of the wait in the company of a new friend. They both watched as the Kalosian gentlemen scowled at his new translator bot.

"To be honest, I would call that helpful rather than funny," said Steven, still resting his hand atop the Nosepass's head.

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
Steven couldn't help feeling a bit guilty at the Nosepass's reply. He could tell, it seemed downtrodden, but Steven was sure they hadn't met. He could recognize every Nosepass he'd met with just a glance. Maybe, though, there was a way he could make up for it, cheer the little guy up.

He extended a gentle hand. "May I?" he asked.

The Nosepass didn't object, and Steven placed his hand on the edge of its brow, slowly tracing a path up and around the back of its head, mindful of its ears. He could feel the gentle magnetic tug on his rings as he went. Every Nosepass he met enjoyed head rubs, surely this one would be no different.

Okay, that? That was relaxing, was what that was. Karo retracted his legs, thankfully avoiding squashing any part of the nearby human as he sat down.

He eased himself down next to the Nosepass until he was seated cross-legged. Might as well pass the rest of the wait in the company of a new friend. They both watched as the Kalosian gentlemen scowled at his new translator bot.

"To be honest, I would call that helpful rather than funny," said Steven, still resting his hand atop the Nosepass's head.

"I don't know, man. Seems pretty funny to me." The look on Kalos-guy's face right about now was pretty priceless.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"I don't know, man. Seems pretty funny to me." The look on Kalos-guy's face right about now was pretty priceless.
Steven couldn't suppress a chuckle. The Nosepass did have a point.

He coughed, hiding his laugh behind his hand. "I was trying to be diplomatic," he said under his breath, so only they could hear.

It was a welcome bit of brevity, he mused, noting the Inteleon's glance up into the nothingness above them. Soon they'd be embroiled in the confusion and uncertainty of the game. Any friend could become a foe, and vice versa. Still... he'd enjoy this moment while he could.

"I'm sorry, my friend," he said to the Nosepass, "I never caught your name?"

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
"I'm sorry, my friend," he said to the Nosepass, "I never caught your name?"

"Hm?" He'd been momentarily distracted by the robot flying away. The question clicked in earnest a beat later. "Oh. I'm Karo," he replied.

It only properly occurred to him right about then that he couldn't put a name to every face in the vicinity. Time to start paying a bit more attention to the goings-on, he reckoned. Especially seeing as something was apparently about to go down.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Hm?" He'd been momentarily distracted by the robot flying away. The question clicked in earnest a beat later. "Oh. I'm Karo," he replied.

It only properly occurred to him right about then that he couldn't put a name to every face in the vicinity. Time to start paying a bit more attention to the goings-on, he reckoned. Especially seeing as something was apparently about to go down.
"Karo," Steven repeated. "It's nice to meet you."

A sudden sadness washed over Steven as he said it. The memory of the last time he'd befriended someone in this game flashed in his mind, bright and clear. The shock of it all, the emptiness of the room with her gone. The powerlessness.

His hand fell from Karo's head, and he tucked it into his lap, fist clenched tight. He hated the feeling. The fact that he was able to meet so many interesting people and pokemon but only in such awful, awful circumstances. He wasn't looking forward to seeing Karo and not knowing if he could trust him or not.

Steven took a deep breath, and hoped Karo couldn't feel the shake in his fingers as he resumed patting his head. "Should circumstances allow, I'd like to catch up with you in some other time and place. Though, if you have already met me, or some other version of me, I'm sure he also appreciated meeting you and enjoyed your company."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
A Floatzel glanced around impatiently at the growing crowd of humans and Pokemon. Some were talking like they knew each other. Others were talking like everyone was here for a game. Jet didn't know what was going on, but she did know that she sure as heck hadn't been invited to any game, but if there was a game, then she was absolutely going to win.

"She's right, you know," he said to the group, giving a nod in her direction. "There's nothing much to do except wait for whoever brought us here to show themselves. We're not going anywhere otherwise."
Jet's ears pricked at the human's words. "I got it, so when this guy shows up, we see who can take him down fastest, yeah?" She stuck her nose in the air. "Well, it's gonna be me! Don't even think of trying to beat me!" How the heck were a bunch of humans planning to win without their Pokemon? This was gonna be too easy.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
"But I can speak perfect Galarian," Dorien insisted. "So there's no need for it. Certainly feels targeted."

"I got it, so when this guy shows up, we see who can take him down fastest, yeah?" She stuck her nose in the air. "Well, it's gonna be me! Don't even think of trying to beat me!
And now, there was a Floatzel yelling up a storm. Yes, he wished he'd been brought in with that whole bottle, or at least a vial of Pride or something.

"If you keep raising your voice like that, I might think of several ways to beat you," he grumbled. "And who's to say whoever brought us here won't cut your head off at first movement? Did you consider that?"

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
At the end of the day, no real truths had emerged. The lights went out abruptly, cutting a couple of people off mid-conversation. In the pitch black, it seemed there was little else to do but try to get some sleep and hope that things will seem more clear in the morning.

A few people started to get the hang of molding the blank, malleable surface of the ground according to their wishes, constructing half-finished shelters, or at least something that might resemble a bed. For now, everyone retires, but they won't all remain abed tonight. The game has begun, and there's danger in the dark. The group can only hope that the same number of people arise tomorrow as went to bed tonight.

The game has begun! Night Zero will last for the next forty-eight hours (countdown here). Role PM's will be distributed shortly. Good luck, everyone!

Day One Start

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Day One

An Inteleon looked through the notes he'd written down, of which there were few. In the end, after all, he had no real information to work with. And just as quickly...

"Oh?" Qitlan looked behind him, and there was a glimmer of cold realization in his eyes. Then, he smiled wryly. "My reputation precedes me," he remarked, standing straight with his hands behind his back. "Was I really that much of a threat, before the game could even begin? I suppose I'll take this as a compliment... Alexander will be quite proud."

He decided to leave one note behind for them, of course. Just that they were already down one innocent.

A new day dawns, harsh and bright. A few people are up and about almost immediately--perhaps they never even slept. Slowly a ragtag group gathers in the rough middle of the various grooves, bumps, and other random shapes people had been experimenting with for housing. Most people still don't really understand why they're here or what's going on; they gather in twos and threes, talking quietly, still unsure of what to do.

It takes a while for anyone to notice the inteleon's missing. He always was quiet, after all. Hung out near the edge of the group, always watching. Perhaps he's off doing his own thing? Or maybe even right there among them, hiding, spying, gathering intel for his own unscrutable purposes. It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility for someone clearly interested in espionage.

As time wears on, though, and the inteleon doesn't reappear, it becomes increasingly clear that he is simply gone. Why? And how? A few people speculate that he was sent home, wish the same would happen to them. Those with more experience aren't quite so flippant. Not even one night's respite, then. There's a rough game ahead for them all, if this is how things start out.

Qitlan (Namohysip) has been eliminated. He was Town.

Discussion is now open for Day 1 and will continue until midnight EST May 29th/8 PM EST May 28th.

Thanks to Namo for writing the death flavor for this post!

@Sinderella @windskull @AbraPunk @Inkedust @Virgil134 @IFBench @Sike Saner @Starlight Aurate @Panoramic_Vacuum @DawningWinds @NeoLurosa @Chibi Pika @Flyg0n @Dragonfree

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
"That Inteleon... gone, huh..."

People and Pokemon all around Archie murmured with worry; some looked bemused, others confused. So, that's how this 'game' went, did it? Individuals would slowly be picked off and vanish without a trace? Well, if he was going to go down soon, then Archie had to take care of some duty first.

He took off at a sprint. In a few short seconds, he reached the silver-haired pretty boy, the self-proclaimed Pokemon "Champion."

Grabbing Steven by the shoulder, Archie punched the man's face, throwing his full weight into the punch. Steven flew through the air and collapsed onto the ground. Not wasting any time, Archie leapt on top of him, throwing more punches.

"No Pokemon, huh? Who's the 'Champion' NOW, pretty boy?!"

Top Bottom