• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[TOWN WINS] Third Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
"Oh, and I guess I should share the role flavour I received, while I'm at it.

My role is 'Targeted Propaganda.' And really, that is how I made Team Aqua what it is. I've been swaying peoples' minds and attracting their devotion for years. It certainly helps that I have the strength to back up everything I say--and whoever fights back against me has always gone down quickly."

[[You probably should've left your recipients alive, however if that was the case.]]
"Ah, now, don't you worry about that. Very soon, you will all see the true power of Team Aqua."

[[I can bite archie tonight? I'm just ultra afraid its like 'Scum mailman but if voted/lynched everyone who was mailed dies?]]
"Well, kid you'd've been better off if you had taken me out sooner. But I've lasted as long as I needed to."

[[I'm pretty sure almost all of Starlight's reciepents are dead anyway? I think just Chibi is alive who claimed mail from her.
Besides if Starlight's last scum it doesn't matter, we win regardless.]]
"Making a few assumptions there!"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[I'm pretty sure almost all of Starlight's reciepents are dead anyway? I think just Chibi is alive who claimed mail from her.
Besides if Starlight's last scum it doesn't matter, we win regardless.]]
[[Yeah I thought I'd won when I survived with my lover last game, only to find out someone could turn immortal and some dread mechanic meant I'd die and loe and behold whoops I lost even though I lived so

Like I said maybe I'm being over the top but clearly Archie has the custom role and there's no gurantee what it really does.

I celebrated victory too early and I'f I'd literally waited until midday to claim I could have won that game

So Now I can't rest easy, I don't want to end the game early if thats what scum wants]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
My role is 'Targeted Propaganda.' And really, that is how I made Team Aqua what it is. I've been swaying peoples' minds and attracting their devotion for years. It certainly helps that I have the strength to back up everything I say--and whoever fights back against me has always gone down quickly."
[[Hm.
How seriously should I take this.
I think this would imply some sort of conversion ability? Maybe Chibi switches alignments when Starlight flips? That feels insanely OP though, being able to switch the alignments of so many players at once... unless maybe its only one and randed from the remaining players? Then killing the targets makes sense to control who switches sides...

I'm thinking Tetra shoots Bench tonight and then we flip Chibi tomorrow if the game's still going?]]

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
[[Which is why we're not. Only Starlight voted to end the day early. Besides, given that this isn't Overdrive, there probably isn't something insane/hidden here. If it's alignment converting, then it's something easily proved out by Tetra shooting either Bench/Chibi. If it just eliminates the recipient then... we just win lmao.]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[I guess so! As long as we don't end day early I'm fine.

You're probably right, I hope. I hope this isn't conditional on a lynch, but that feels kinda :/ to do in a non-role madness game so we should be fine.....]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
jet-confident.png
"Go ahead and try ta bite me if it's still goin' tonight. Don't think I aint gonna fight back though!"

[lmfao if I lose out of nowhere in the last five seconds. this is what I get for going "lmao scum mailman." oh well, can't be helped~]

vote: Archie
vote: end day

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
[[Huh.]]

[[Vote: Archie]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[Vote: Archie]]

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
[[Out of curiosity, is there any reason not to end the day early? What else is there to talk about in the next 28 hours? The only reason "waiting out the timer" was even a thing in Role Overdrive was because Dave would have died at midday in that game. We have no way of making Archie die at midday, so we have no reason not to lynch him.]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
[[Out of curiosity, is there any reason not to end the day early? What else is there to talk about in the next 28 hours? The only reason "waiting out the timer" was even a thing in Role Overdrive was because Dave would have died at midday in that game. We have no way of making Archie die at midday, so we have no reason not to lynch him.]]
[[Honestly, I can't think of much reason given literally nothing is happening, but if other people would prefer to let the day run its course in case they think of anything else worth discussing or for whatever other reason, I'm fine with it.]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[No logical one, but I think I didn't even know Dave would've died at midday/had his fate sealed. So Now I am just worried cause last time things ended early I lost lol.

There's just my paranoia and the fact that if Archie wanted to end the day early, it made me scared there's some kind of caveat or weird twist to his role. Some kind of like.... maybe a timer on his role or something? dunno, again I'm most likely being silly but]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
[[Very well. If something crazy does happen I won't sweat it lol, I'll just eat my hat

end day early]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[End day early]]

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
"Archie looked at the people and Pokemon around him with a smile on his face. He had taken a liking to the white void. During the nights, when all others were slumbering, he turned his efforts to molding the matter and making new objects out of it. They were rough and unrefined at first, but as he exerted more mental energy and willpower into it, they became sleeker and more complex. Soon, he found that he was able to form anything he willed out of the strange void matter.

And the time had finally come. As Archie stared at the onlookers, he exerted mental energy onto his surroundings. A fist-sized section seamlessly detached itself from the surrounding ether and rested in his hand, taking on a glassy sheen and turning a deep azure. The Team Aqua leader looked at the Blue Orb resting in his hand and felt a thrill of ecstasy. Not just any Orb--his Orb, his creation!

Looking at the creatures around him, he thrust the Orb into the air. It burned with an incredible blue light, filling the void with an otherworldly energy. The sound of crashing waves resounded all around the people and Pokemon. The sounds translated into matter, and soon, they rested on a lone island in the middle of turbulent waters.

"KYOGRE! AWAKEN!"

A deep rumble reverberated through the void. The rumble erupted into a roar, and the eyes of all looked up as an enormous monster broke through the surface of the waters. Its yellow eyes, each as large as Archie was tall, blazed with fury. Its mouth, large enough to crush a house, was full of serrated teeth. Red lines blazed all along its sleek body, outlining the creature with a bloody glow. The creature glared at the onlookers, all of whom were too small and weak to do anything but wait for Kyogre to act. Archie's laughter filled the void.

"Now, Kyogre!" he shouted, his eyes on the people and Pokemon before him as a maniacal smile was fixed to his mouth. "Finish them all off!"

Kyogre inhaled, a bright orange orb of energy forming between its jaws. The orange light threw shadows on the onlookers, highlighting their terrified faces. Most of them weren't ready to meet their end. But they sat, helpless, watching the light between Kyogre's jaws burn with a brighter, more powerful energy as the marine god prepared to launch it.

Without warning, the void between Archie's feet suddenly turned to liquid. The Team Aqua leader had just enough time to realize that he was no longer on solid ground before the void matter swallowed him up, leaving behind a red pulsing energy. With the disappearance of the Blue Orb, the light between Kyogre's jaws fizzled to nothing. Kyogre immediately returned to the depths, and the water once more became white ether. The void was just as it was moments before--but with one fewer player."

---​

It seemed the Mafia had become proficient in utilizing the properties of this empty dimension--perhaps more so than anyone else. Maybe that, ultimately, was what had driven them mad, or whatever it had been that convinced them to set about sending their fellow players to the void. In the wake of Archie's disappearance, not much seemed to have changed, the ground slowly reshaping itself to its usual appearance, the red flash where Archie had gone under fading. But there was a new feeling in the air, a certain lightness. After all that had happened, it seemed there would be no more nighttimes, no more mornings graced by absence. It was time for this game to come to a close and, hopefully, for all of them to go home. Those remaining could only hope that the same would be granted to those who'd been swallowed up by the void, the innocent and the guilty alike.

Archie (Starlight Aurate) has been eliminated. He was Mafia.

There are no Mafia remaining. Town wins!

Starlight Aurate wrote the death flavor for this post. Thanks for your help!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Dorien Bonhomme

Ability: Manipulative Bastard (Mailman)

Some "game" this is. If these fools had any idea what it takes to survive in high society, they'd count themselves lucky that a little gang of incompetent traitors was all they had to worry about. There's hardly anything to worry about here; you know exactly how to handle yourself in these sorts of situations. The right words in the right ears will get you far in life--or the right texts in the right phones, perhaps. It seems some strange property of this place will let even the truly depressing creatures without phones receive your messages. Convenient. A little nudge here, an innocuous suggestion there, and you'll get where you need to go in the end.

You'll play along, then. If ingratiating yourself with these clowns is what it takes to stay alive, well, you won't be proud of it, but needs must.

You are aligned with the Town and win when all Mafia players are jailed. Once per night you may choose to target one other player and send them a message up to 250 characters long. The contents of the message can be whatever you wish so long as it doesn't violate any of the community rules or contain a literal copy and paste of your role PM (i.e. this message). The contents of the message need not be truthful. When choosing to use this ability, simply send a private message to Negrek with the player you would like to target and the contents of your message to them. Negrek will relay the message. The target will not be informed who sent the message.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

--

Muse

Ability: Troubling Visions (Custom/Self-Watcher)

The sleep that takes you at the end of each day in this strange place is deep. Unnatural. But even worse, it's still seething with visions. Not visions of destruction now, no, but still of death--of shadowy figures moving among this group of what should be allies, of heinous acts carried out in the dead of night. Some of them come to visit you, even, pause right beside where you sleep, locked in troubled dreaming. It seems the others forget, come morning, what goes on in the night, or perhaps they simply can't see. Your visions remind you, as does the constant dull pain in your horn. In the morning, you still can remember the faces of those you encountered in the night. You don't know if you can believe that it's a blessing.

You are aligned with the Town and win when all Mafia players are jailed. At the end of each night, you will be informed of any players that targeted you, but not what they targeted you with.

--

Antares

Ability: Glorious Combat (One-Shot Gladiator)

All these people arguing, investigating, wanting to talk things out--bah! Since when have words ever solved a job for claws and teeth? You know perfectly well who's causing all the trouble, and you're going to settle the matter yourself in a good, old-fashioned test of strength. Once you've overpowered the evil that lurks here, you'll return home a hero--and what's better, everyone here will get to witness your triumph!

You are aligned with the Town and win when all Mafia players are jailed. Once per game during the Day phase, you may post "CHALLENGE: <Player>" in bold text to initiate a duel with that person. Once you do, other players will only be able to "cheer" for either you or your target--they will only be able to cast votes for you or for the target of this ability. Any previous votes on players other than you or your target will be nullified. At the end of the Day phase, the player with the most cheering (i.e. votes) will win the duel, and the loser will be eliminated from the game. You must activate this ability with at least six hours remaining in the Day phase, or it will fail.

--

Altair

Ability: Sailor's Knack (Universal Backup)

A sailor's got to learn fast out on the high seas. If the mate falls overboard, you can't exactly be sitting around expecting the ship to steer itself! You've picked up your fair share of oddball skills over the course of your adventure, and you're ready and willing to pick up a few more if that's what'll get you through this "game" alive (or "alive"?). You've seen enough of these games now to know that flexibility is the key to victory, and victory is what you need if you're ever to find your way back to friendly seas.

You are aligned with the Town and win when all Mafia players are jailed. The first time that a Town-aligned player with an ability you're capable of emulating is eliminated, you'll quickly learn to take over their role in the game, and their ability will become yours for as long as you remain in the game. You will receive a PM from Negrek informing of you of this change and the details of your new ability when this power triggers.

--

Kichiro

Ability: Iron Fist (One-Shot Strongman)

You're used to being painted as a villain, a criminal, an outcast--let those idiots think what they want. You've seen a way out of this, and you're going to take it, you and the only other people with any sense in this godforsaken place. They may not be any more competent than the crew you left behind, but you're used to that, too. You'll do what it takes to get home, and damn anyone who wants to stand in your way. You may be a ledian and more accustomed to scouting than front-line combat, but you're a pirate, after all--no weakling could survive as an outlaw on the high seas. Besides, it seems like the power of this strange place has lent you a little extra strength, enough for one critical blow, perhaps.

You are aligned with the Mafia and win when Mafia-aligned players make up the majority of remaining players. Your associates are Archie (Starlight Aurate) and Steven Stone (Panoramic_Vacuum). You may communicate freely with other Mafia-aligned players outside the game thread on the scumchat Discord server: https://discord.gg/gnpsGEdC

Once per night, you may choose to make the Mafia factional kill. If you do, none of the other Mafia players will be able to log a kill action for the night. Once per game, you may use your Strongman ability to make the factional kill pierce any protection on the target and ignore any powers that might redirect it to an unintended target.

--

Burhalla

Ability: Hero's Duty (Bodyguard)

You may be in a strange place surrounded by strange people, but you know what you have to do. It's what you've always had to do: help people. Protect the weak. Be strong for people who can't be strong for themselves, no matter how scared you are deep inside. Push comes to shove, you'll do whatever it takes to defend the innocent--and who cares how much it costs you?

You are aligned with the Town and win when all Mafia players are jailed. Once per night you may choose another player to defend. If that player would be eliminated as the result of becoming the target of a killing role, they will survive and you will be eliminated instead.

--

Ekunasic Karo

Ability: Magnetic Malarky (Custom/Third-Party Bus Driver)

All these people getting worked up about the "Mafia," spending the days yelling and arguing and getting in each other's faces--why are they taking everything so seriously? It's just a game! If you're all trapped here for a while, you might as well have a bit of fun.

And what's extremely fun, of course, is when everybody freaks out because their uptight plans ended up going completely wrong and they have no idea why. A little chaos is good for everyone! And if you're counting on tiny flying bits of metal to get your job done for you, well... Sure would be a shame if a magnetics expert stuck those somewhere unexpected instead of their intended targets, wouldn't it?

Once per night you may choose two other players to swap. If you do, any other night actions that would have targeted the first player target the second player instead, and vice versa.

You are aligned with neither the Town nor the Mafia. You win when you successfully use your ability to redirect two kills into unintended targets. A redirected kill only counts if it actually causes its target to be eliminated. For example, if you swap player A with player B and a kill was aimed at player A, you earn one point towards your win condition if player B is eliminated as a result. If player B is Bulletproof or under some kind of protection and therefore remains in the game, this will not be counted as a successful redirect. The source of a kill action does not matter for the purposes of this ability.

You will be informed whenever you successfully redirect a kill. If you win, your victory will be announced in the thread and you will be removed from the game, and then the remaining Town and Mafia players will continue playing for second place.

--

Archie

Ability: Targeted Propaganda (Mailman)

Your reputation among landlubbers is of a brutal fighter with the power to back up even your wildest ideas, and that's true, as far as it goes. But you know your real power is in your charisma, your voice, and your ability to inspire. You've been swaying people to your cause for years now, and you know how to change hearts and minds. A knife in a back or two helps, of course, but it's persuasion, not brute force, that'll ultimately get the job done.

Looks like it's time to get people on your side once again. Time to rely on the power of your words. That's all right. They'll come around. They always do. And if they don't, well. You've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

You are aligned with the Mafia and win when Mafia-aligned players make up the majority of remaining players. Your associates are Steven Stone (Panoramic_Vacuum) and Kichiro (Virgil134). You may communicate freely with other Mafia-aligned players outside the game thread on the scumchat Discord server: https://discord.gg/gnpsGEdC

Once per night, you may choose to make the Mafia factional kill. If you do, none of the other Mafia players will be able to log a kill action for the night. If you choose not to make the kill, you may instead choose to target one other player and send them a message up to 250 characters long. The contents of the message can be whatever you wish so long as it doesn't violate any of the community rules or contain a literal copy and paste of your role PM (i.e. this message). The contents of the message need not be truthful. When choosing to use this ability, simply send a private message to Negrek with the player you would like to target and the contents of your message to them. Negrek will relay the message. The target will not be informed who sent the message.

--

Steven Stone

Ability: Champion's Fiat (Roleblocker)

By now, you're used to wielding power. When you command something, things happen. Or don't, if that's what you ordered. Your authority seems to have taken on a supernatural quality in this strange place, but its effects, yes, they're familiar.

You only hope that what you're doing with it is right. Someone has to bring this awful game to a close, and if most of the rest don't agree, that's all right. You're used to trusting your own instincts and going your own way when you need to. Even so... you hope what you're doing here is right. You really, truly do.

You are aligned with the Mafia and win when Mafia-aligned players make up the majority of remaining players. Your associates are Archie (Starlight Aurate) and Kichiro (Virgil134). You may communicate freely with other Mafia-aligned players outside the game thread on the scumchat Discord server: https://discord.gg/gnpsGEdC

Once per night, you may choose to make the Mafia factional kill. If you do, none of the other Mafia players will be able to log a kill action for the night. If you choose not to make the kill, you may instead choose to target one other player and prevent them from taking any action that night.

--

Nefari

Ability: Fox's Tricks (Jack of All Trades)

Another one of these games? Hopefully everyone will leave you alone again. The outcome last time wasn't exactly ideal, but at least no one gave you trouble. And you've remembered more of your moves this time, too. If anyone tries to get you, you'll be ready. Your attacks may not be the most powerful on their own, but with your cunning behind them, you're sure you can walk away from the game unscathed this time. With the rest of your "team" along for the ride, if that's what it comes down to.

You are aligned with the Town and win when all Mafia players are jailed. Each night you may choose to use up to one of the following attacks:
mewitti
- Foul Play: A little misdirection, a little distraction, and the people causing problems for you will end up completely turned around. On the night when you use this attack, choose two other players. All actions targeting the first player will be redirected to target the second and vice versa.

- Protect: No one can touch you behind a good protect shield... if only it wasn't so taxing to keep making them. On the night when you use this attack, any actions targeting you will be reflected back at their users and have no effect on you.

- Taunt: You hate to stick your neck out, but sometimes you find another person messing with someone they shouldn't be. A few taunts and they'll turn their attention away--and to wherever you want them to instead! On the night when you use this attack, choose two other players. Any actions performed by the first player will be redirected to target the second.

- Thief: People shouldn't be passing the good stuff off to others--it should all be coming to you! On the night when you use this attack, choose another player to target. Any actions targeting that player will be redirected to target you instead.

After you've used an ability once, you won't be able to use it again for the remainder of the game.

--

NeoLurosa

Ability: Enhanced Telepathy (Mailman)

Two minds, one body. It can make getting around a little tricky--there may be some disagreement about when it's Neo's turn to control the paws--but your mental abilities have only increased. What's perhaps more amazing is that even the humans around here can hear you and understand phttps://discord.com/channels/568956erfectly well. Whether that's because of bedoubled psychic energy amplifying your thoughts or some other property of this strange place, it's a relief to be able to make yourself heard. In fact, you can even communicate with the others in their sleep! That would come in handy if you wanted to fill someone's dreams with bacon instead of scary things... but for now, at least you can use it to let others in on your insights. There's no way to win this if people won't talk to each other, after all.

You are aligned with the Town and win when all Mafia players are jailed. Once per night you may choose to target one other player and send them a message up to 250 characters long. The contents of the message can be whatever you wish so long as it doesn't violate any of the community rules or contain a literal copy and paste of your role PM (i.e. this message). The contents of the message need not be truthful. When choosing to use this ability, simply send a private message to Negrek with the player you would like to target and the contents of your message to them. Negrek will relay the message. The target will not be informed who sent the message.

--

Qitlan

Ability: Expert Interrogation (Cop)

You're accustomed to working alone, and the thought of needing to work together with this ragtag group of incompetents to survive is, frankly, quite distressing. At least they seem content to leave you be for the most part. You can make your own investigations, seek out the real truth of this "game"--you are an expert at gathering information, after all. The poor fools drawn here are hardly the caliber of soul you've had to deal with in the past, after all. All you need is a little bit of time with your top suspects, and they'll be spilling all their darkest secrets in no time at all.

You are aligned with the Town and win when all Mafia players are jailed. Once per night you may choose another player to interrogate. At the end of the night you will receive a PM disclosing that player's alignment.

--

Jet

Ability: Sniffing Out Trouble (Tracker)

Truth be told you'd rather be taking the fight right to the bad guys, showing off your skills and saving everyone in the process, of course. All this sneaking around, all this blah blah blah--boring! But it's hard to take the fight to the bad guys if you don't know who they are.

They won't escape you for long, though! You're an expert hunter on top of everything else--there isn't much that can fool a keen floatzel nose. Track down some of those people who've been roaming around at night, catch them in the middle of something incriminating, and wham! That's your moment to shine.

You are aligned with the Town and win when all Mafia players are jailed. Once per night you may choose another player to track. If you do, at the end of the night you will be informed what player(s), if any, they targeted with an ability during the night.

--

Rascal

Ability: Big Bite (Odd-Night Vigilante)

Another game? Another game! You might not recognize anyone here, but you know exactly how this works. And this time, you're prepared! You're going to bite the bad guys. You're going to bite them really hard! They won't be able to hurt anybody when they have to fight you off instead. It's a brilliant plan!

You are aligned with the Town and win when all Mafia players are jailed. Beginning on Night One and once per odd-numbered night thereafter (Night Three, Night Five, etc.) you may choose another player to bite. If you do, they will be eliminated at the end of the night.

--

May Victoria Wallace

Ability: Not Me (Doctor)

A healer? You? It has to be some kind of cruel joke. Someone who knows about--? They'd have to. You don't know what kind of sick people, or things, run this place, but you want them out of your head.

Mark's the one who would be a healer. Or Alan. Not you. But if this is the only way for you to get out of this place, healing is what you'll do. And strategizing. Your power might be a joke, but at least whoever runs this place hasn't taken away your mind.

You are aligned with the Town and win when all Mafia players are jailed. Once per night you may choose another player to heal. If you do, that player will be immune to any attempts to eliminate them during that night.

== NIGHT 0 ==

- Pano blocks Inkedust
- Sike swaps Bench and DawningWinds
- Dragonfree heals Chibi
- Bench defends Pano
- Namo investigates Dragonfree (response: Town)
- Chibi follows Pano (response: visits Inkedust)
- DawningWinds chooses to do nothing
- Sind sends a message to Starlight: "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood."
- NeoLurosa sends a message to Dragonfree: "Congratulations! You have received an Oran berry!"
- Starlight Aurate shoots Namo

- Namo dies!

- windskull's ability triggers (result: no visitors)
- Inkedust becomes a cop!

== NIGHT 1 ==

- DawningWinds swaps windskull and NeoLurosa
- Pano blocks Inkedust
- Inkedust inspects windskull (blocked!)
- Bench defends Pano
- Dragonfree heals Chibi
- Sike swaps Chibi and Abra
- Chibi follows Sind (response: visits Pano)
- Sind sends a message to Pano: "There’s so many pirates in this game."
- Starlight sends a message to NeoLurosa (redirected to windskull): "Yarr!! I be thinkin' that ol' Parrot theory goin' on may have some truthin' to it. I can send messages in bottles, like this 'un, but I held m'self back N0 because I could'nay tell who ter trust. Now, I do.
- NeoLurosa sends a message to windskull (redirected to themselves): "Dear Muse:

Congratulations! You received a Pecha Berry!

250 ch limit, one message/night. Pecha does nothing, but can name items later as proof of identity. Think you are town.

Unsure how best to help town, can assist with role coordination?

Good luck!"

- Yer Mailman"
- Virgil shoots Sike

Sike dies!

- windskull's ability triggers (result: sees DawningWinds, Starlight)

== NIGHT 2 ==

- Panoramic_Vacuum blocks Inkedust
- Inkedust inspects Virgil (blocked!)
- Dragonfree heals windskull
- Chibi tracks Inkedust (response: visits no one)
- Bench defends NeoLurosa
- Starlight sends a message to Chibi: "Ahoy, Jet! Yer a fine specimen, a true Water-type beaut. Team Aqua rulez!

XOXO, Archie."
- NeoLurosa sends a message to Chibi: Dear Jet:

Congrats! You received Lum Berry!

Hope u = Town! Unsure of reads. No use for 250ch but spotting swaps. Can't rly lay out plan even if sure you = Town. Voted for Dorien, thought 1 Mailman would = scum. Archie seems Town tho. =(

G. Luck!
- Virgil strongshots windskull

windskull dies!

== NIGHT 3 ==

- Pano blocks Inkedust
- DawningWinds draws in actions made on Tetra
- Dragonfree heals Chibi
- Bench protects Tetra (redirect: DawningWinds)
- Inkedust inspects Chibi (blocked!)
- Chibi tracks Pano (response: visited Inkedust)
- NeoLurosa sends a message to Tetra (redirect: DawningWinds): "Dear Rascal:

Congrats! You received Aspear Berry!

Trust u = town Vig. Sus: Abra/Pano/Inke. Trust Chibi. Feel good re: Free/DW. Will vote Abra. Tell us who u will shoot by naming them in RP reply to us. Pls reveal u got letter to prove no swap.

<3 NL"
- Tetra bites Abra
- Starlight shoots NeoLurosa

Abra dies!
NeoLurosa dies!

== NIGHT 4 ==

- DawningWinds redirects Starlight into Inkedust
- Inkedust inspects Chibi (result: Town)
- Chibi tracks Archie (result: visits Inkedust)
- Dragonfree heals Inkedust
- IFBench protects Chibi
- Starlight shoots DawningWinds (redirect: Inkedust)

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Some final notes on this game, as well as a few requests for feedback! As you might possibly have guessed, the theme for this game was

mail-blues.gif

I haven't done much in the past with communicative roles, but it's always interesting to me to see how people make use of them. I wanted at least two of them so it was unlikely that they would both die immeidately and do nothing, and in the end I added a third mafia mailman as well. It made for a generally Town-aligned power that a mafia member could safely claim (and prove), and I was also curious to see how the team might use it: cause confusion? Pocket someone(s)? Frame someone(s)? All in all, I think this role played pretty well, and I hope the people who had it enjoyed putting their messages together.

In general I mixed it up a bit this game with some more experimental roles as well as ones I wanted to test out, like a "fixed" version of Watcher. Redirection roles also paired pretty naturally with roles that leave evidence, like messaging ones--tragic that the bus driver got whacked almost immediately, but we still saw a little manipulation here and there.

I would normally be hesitant to run a fifteen-player game with four mafia and a third party, but given that Sike's role didn't add to the kill count any, I probably could have gone up one slot here. Apologies for giving you all a rough hand to work with.

There were also some things that came up over the course of the game that I wanted to discuss:

Player Cap - I wanted to use the player cap to keep the action in the game manageable; while mafia games that go tens of pages a day can be riveting and a lot of fun, I was also seeing a lot of people who felt stressed out or overwhelmed by the volume of posts, or who simply weren't able to keep up and play the way they'd like because of how much effort it was to read everything. While it's hard to say how much the slower pace was a result of a smaller number of players, overall I'd be willing to try a player cap again. However, I did notice that we had no new players this time around and am worried that putting a limit on player number perhaps turns away people who might have been on the fence about joining and who then don't want to "take away" a spot that would have gone to a more invested player or otherwise makes the game feel more "elite" and not open to people without experience. I'm wondering if it would make more sense to explicitly plan on two smaller games, whether a scenario where people can choose which they play in or where everyone signs up and then the pool gets split after the fact. Any thoughts on the player cap or ways to make the game more inviting to new players welcome.

Day Start - It's been requested that I run day start games in the future--this is similar to what we do now except that the Day Zero phase is mechanically relevant, i.e. everyone has their roles and there's an opportunity to eliminate someone at the end of the phase. Like Day Zero, which is intended to give everyone a chance to RP at least a little without dying, this would allow everyone to properly "play the game" a little without dying. What is the feeling on this?

Metagame Concerns - A number of people expressed frustration with the amount of metagame knowledge utilized in this game--to the extent that they felt like past behavior or a poster's identity was being treated as more important than what they actually posted--or simply did not enjoy the social dynamics of the game. I was wondering if there would be any interest in an anonymous game, either one with no RP or where you end up playing someone else's character so that real identities are concealed. Other suggestions for handling metagame dynamics are welcome; past experience will always have some influence on a new game, but it's not something I want to become super frustrating.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Thanks for running, Negrek! I'd certainly be interested in Day Start games in the future. I wonder if a way of resolving the player cap issue is by asking people to submit a priority level for their interest in participation and having participants after the selected ones be potential substitutes...? I feel like the 'first come, first served' signups might be relevant. Props to the mafia for playing well with a bad hand! Better luck next time, y'all.

Top Bottom