• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[Town victory] Vanilla Mafia!

Day 0

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Totally Vanilla Mafia (Newcomer Friendly Edition)
Player List:

Altair [Galarian Yamask] (Inkedust)
Anti-Bravoman "Anti" xxDarklord99xx [Human?] (Windskull)
Astrid [Alolan Ninetales] (TheGOAT)
Bartholomew [Rotom in a yellow 3DS] (Equitial)

Clovis LeClair [Human] (Sinderella)
Ebony [Houndoom] (Chibi Pika)
Ferry [Lucario] (kyeugh)
Hana [Human] (Flyg0n)

Hazel [Type: Null] (Shiny Phantump)
Jean Ambrose [Vulpix Pokemorph] (Dragonfree)
Kent [Dracomon] (AbraPunk)

Mike [Human] (Homestar!)
Pixie [Alolan Vulpix] (Persephone)
PNS-NT [Porygon-Z] (Bench)
Porygon [Porygon?] (Bluwiikoon)

Reme [Gardevoir] (Fusion)
Salem Weir [Purrloin-human morph] (unrepentantAuthor)
Sparkleglimmer [Sylveon] (SparklingEspeon)
Steven Stone [Steven Stone] (Panoramic_Vacuum)
Wesley Lycas [Human] (HelloYellow17)

--​

More and more people trickle in to the dry, airy, grassy meadow. Aside from the fields, the place is completely featureless. The skies are a clear blue; no trees, no bushes. Only grass as far as they could see. It was eerie, in a way; unnatural how natural it all seemed. In everyone's possession--in their hands, paws, or data files--was the same letter. It described the game, how it played, and said to hang onto that letter--as soon, it would morph to reveal what powers they held, if any...

The wording was frank and to the point. It looked like it had been handwritten by someone. It had the slightest hint of brimstone to it.

We are currently in the "Day Zero" pre-game phase! No players have assigned roles or alignments yet, but feel free to roleplay your character exploring the environment, meeting other people, etc.

This phase is entirely optional and has zero mechanical relevance to the actual game, so if you'd rather sit out, you can simply wait for the start of the first phase to be announced.

The start time of the first proper phase will depend on how long it takes me to complete setup, but I am currently aiming for 11:59 PM on Sunday. One way or another, the start of the first phase will be announced about twenty-four hours in advance.

Last edited:

SparklingEspeon

Back on Her Bullshit
Staff
a Terrace of Indeterminate Location in Snowbelle
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. fennekin
  3. zoroark
Dirt.

There was grass, but grass had to grow from dirt.

Sparkleglimmer had never liked dirt.

She discreetly kicked it from her boots, then took a step forward.

Her boot sunk into dirt. It got inside the shoe. She wilted.

There were, of course, others in the square, all carrying the same letter she had quietly slipped under her cloak with her ribbons just before. But before paying attention to them, she had to rid her boot entirely of all the dirt.

Sodding dirt.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Gods-dammit. This. This again.

Wes shoved the letter into his coat with a grumble and looked around. It was different from last time, with grass and blue skies, but it still carried that same eerie, unnatural stillness.

He didn’t recognize any familiar faces from last time, either; there was a smattering of Pokémon and humans and…and others that he couldn’t be sure which was which, but nobody that he knew. He wasn’t sure whether to feel relieved or annoyed at that; on the one hand, seeing some repeats from last time would save him the pain of introducing himself. On the other…well. He could do without being charged by a Hydreigon or Tyrunt ever again. He certainly hadn’t made friends with any of them.

Except for Chappie. The thought struck him with a pang of guilt. Wes clenched his teeth and shoved it from his mind, then scanned each individual with narrowed eyes.

He wasn’t here to make friends. That hadn’t saved him or Chappie last time. He just needed to focus on getting this over with as soon as possible. And preferably not die in the process.

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
Alright, now this was something.

Kent had never dreamt before.

Most Digimon didn't.

But this? Whatever this was...

He glanced around, scanning for any sign of danger. There was nothing that indicated any immediate threat. Just a bunch of... other beings, human or otherwise.

The environment was unusually flat, almost as if a Tankmon had steamrolled through the world.

Kent sighed deeply. This could be another simulation made by a Vademon for all he knew.

But, for now, until it was proven to be anything else...

He just held onto the letter. Not much that he could do with it for the timebeing.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
A file had been planted in PNS-NT's database, but as one part of their mind was reading through it, the other was taking in their surroundings.

"Gre-re-reetings!" the digital Pokemon said, their limbs spinning around. "This is defi-fi-finitely an odd place. Does anyone know what con-on-ontinent we're on?"

Then they caught sight of one of the humans, and their mind almost short-circuited. Their limbs twitched around wildly. "Are you a re-re-real human?!"

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
A Houndoom bounded toward the gathering in the middle of the meadow, the introductory letter speared on her tailtip. She'd never been able to read before. That was new and different! Endless grass was also new and different. This crowd was really strange too--some of the Pokemon were dressed like humans!

"I'm here!" she called, barking out a small ember that fizzled into the air. "Who wants to fight!"

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
Out of the corner of his eye, Kent saw the Dobermon thing bounding towards everyone else.

Then it spoke.

"I'm here!" she called, barking out a small ember that fizzled into the air. "Who wants to fight!"

"Not me." He took several steps away from it. "Fuck off."

Last edited:

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
Sometimes, he entered another world in his dreams.

It was a world he had heard about in stories all his life. Some of it was crystal clear—those were the parts he was able to imagine most vividly while he was awake. The cobblestone square, painted over with radiant blue symbols. The sandstone castle at the center, flags billowing from its walls. The hide tents decorated with sooty pawprints, fanciful scenes burned into their sides with hot iron.

Other parts of it—the less detailed bits, the ones that faded into the background in his mind's eye—were hazy, amorphous, cloaked in shadow. When he was forced to look directly at them, his dream phased them in as other objects from his memory. Carts and shops he had seen in the human cities stood in for ones that ought to have been managed by lucario; Kalos-style strip plots were substituted for traditional lucario farms.

In his dreams, he walked through this city, witnessing the imagined goings-on with quiet introspection. Blue bodies pushed past him on their way to unknown destination. Invariably he awoke from these dreams feeling very small and forlorn and out of place, craving for a home that had never been his.

When Ferry the lucario found himself standing in a peculiar, seemingly infinite green field just moments after he'd shut his eyes for the night, his first assumption was that he'd returned to a warped version of that world he'd often dreamed of before. But this—the perfectly still grass, the featureless landscape, the shockingly sterile sky—was not that. Not only was this landscape alien and unfamiliar, but he was the only lucario present. He was not, however, the only person present. Humans, pokémon, strange arcane devices...

Something was in his hand. A piece of paper? He did not examine it. Instead he sucked in a breath and was shocked to find that he felt it, then was shocked further that he was shocked. This... was not a dream. Something was seriously wrong.

"What the FUCK is this," he growled, his eyes like dinner plates, "and who the FUCK are you people."

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
And then this weird... Gaomon looking thing spoke.
"What the FUCK is this," he growled, his eyes like dinner plates, "and who the FUCK are you people."
"Hell if I know!" He said as he nearly tripped over his own feet trying to make sure he was far away enough from the Dobermon.

"Piss off, seriously!" He launched a weak shadow blast at the Dobermon, hopefully enough to deter it.

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"Well... this is something," Hana mused. She watched the other strange being talked and discussed among one another. A houndoom, as Lucario, other pokemon, a few humans, and a host of strange beings she didn't recognize. She glanced around the area again. Was this some kind of psychic meddling? They'd have to be incredibly powerful...

Either way she might as well make the best out of whatever dream or vision this was. Which apparently involved some kind of game. That sounded fun, potentially.

Although she still preferred to play it safe for now, which meant trying to keep some distance.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
"Piss off, seriously!" He launched a weak shadow blast at the hellhound, hopefully enough to deter it.
Ebony took a step back, growling. "Alright fine! Jerk!" She stuck out her tongue.

He couldn't have been very smart if he didn't even know that she resisted dark attacks. Stupid! There were better people to fight with anyway. Like that Lucario who just showed up! Oh, wait... he looked like he was in a bad mood too. Maybe he'd feel better if he knew what was going on...?

"I dunno how we got here, but we're here now!" she helpfully explained. "Want to fight?"

Bluwiikoon

waow!
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. nosepass-bluwiikoon
[You may hear squealing. Not just the squealing of wheels, but the squealing of a very excited friend who is running around (uh, driving around?) very fast and kind of freaking out a bit.]

8oWc7kT.png
There's grass!!! There's real grass!!! I can see the grass!!! I can HEAR the grass!! There's-

wO6ciMV.png
THERE'S PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAあああああああああああああ

[If you can actually manage to get a good look at the strange, speeding device, you will see a screen on top with a very overwhelmed Porygon face displayed on it. Oh, and there's an unopened letter taped to their... body? A body can be a rectangular cube with speakers, I guess!]

wO6ciMV.png
you're telling me I hAVE A BODY?????????????? SAFHJASSDHFSJDHFHJSHGDSJKFJSDH

[They are very excited!]

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
Hazel looked around. She was in a grassy field. It had way, way more grass than she'd ever seen in one place before in her life! I was hard to imagine that one place could hold this much grass.

There were other people here, too, of course. Which was impotant, because the paper said they were going to play a game, and that wouldn't go so well if there were no other people. She only recognized about half of the species. Some human, an Vulpix and Ninetales, a Lucario, a Sylveon, a Porygon, and a Gardevoir. She felt a little envious of the Gardevoir. That would be a nice species to be.

There were some she didn't recognize, too. A species that looked a bit like a mix of midday and midnight Lycanrock. A bird of light and dark. Numerous robot-looking things other than the Porygon. Someone who looked like what would happen if someone let Gladion design a suit of armour. A feline on two legs. Someone who... were they human? There was someone who looked almost like a young human, but with Vulpix tails taht were red instead of white, and bit of a different-looking face.

Hazel was most intrigued by them. She approached, slowly and cautiously, trying to look as unintimidating as possible, which was difficult for someone who looked like her.

She should be able to talk here, right? Some of the other species who shouldn't be able to talk were doing that. She was supposed to be able to as well. Trying her new ability out cautiously, she whispered to the odd human-ish. "Hello..."

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
A fair distance away from the commotion, Altair—who'd found himself to be rather lost—stared upon the endless blue sky. Let's see, he ended up dozing off in that starry plane, and he had a nightmare of playing that game Yveltal made him play (Mafia, was it?) only that he was possessed to play like a first-class moron. After that, a storm hit; and within it, he spotted a letter somersaulting in the winds.

But something wasn't right. Where was his arceusdamned life? He won that game didn't he? Why was he set up here with a bunch of illu—

Oh.

Oh for the love of Kyogre.

"I didn't fucking agree to this you overgrown talonflame!" he shouted to nobody in particular.

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
Kent glanced over to see the...

What the fuck was he looking at.

This fucking Ordinemon-Devimon mixture was just screaming at the sky.
"I didn't fucking agree to this you overgrown talonflame!" he shouted to nobody in particular.
"Shut the fuck up!!!" Kent shouted in response. "Nobody cares!"

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
[You may hear squealing. Not just the squealing of wheels, but the squealing of a very excited friend who is running around (uh, driving around?) very fast and kind of freaking out a bit.]

He glared at the... box. It's a box.

Wait, no, there was something in there...?

Whatever it was, it only reminded him of a ToyAgumon... although that was a bit of a stretch.

"Hey, you!" He called to the moving box. "Quit your squeaking or I'm gonna rip your fucking..." He faltered slightly, realizing that this thing didn't really have a body... "wheels off!" Yeah, that totally worked.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Then they caught sight of one of the humans, and their mind almost short-circuited. Their limbs twitched around wildly. "Are you a re-re-real human?!"

Wes jumped at the strange sound and turned to see…well, he assumed they were a Pokémon, at least. They looked like a living, breathing computer glitch, but he supposed it wasn’t the weirdest thing he’d witnessed in a place like this. He looked them up and down with a small frown.

“Yeah, I’m a real human. What are you?”

Bluwiikoon

waow!
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. nosepass-bluwiikoon
He glared at the... box. It's a box.

Wait, no, there was something in there...?

Whatever it was, it only reminded him of a ToyAgumon... although that was a bit of a stretch.

"Hey, you!" He called to the moving box. "Quit your squeaking or I'm gonna rip your ////ing..." He faltered slightly, realizing that this thing didn't really have a body... "wheels off!" Yeah, that totally worked.

wO6ciMV.png
(sOMEBODY IS TALKING TO ME OMG!!!!!!)

wO6ciMV.png
OMG HI CAN WE BE FRIENDS??????? YOU LOOK SUPER COOL WHATS YOUR NAME WHAT KIND OF SNACKS DO YOU LIKE

[They run circles around the friend in ecstatic glee but then screech to a halt.]

QPXTyg3.png
Wait, squeaking? Squeaking... OH!!! Is that sound me??? I didn't realise!

[Porygon does a couple slower experimental laps around Kent, giggling furiously as the wheels on their movement device made further squeaks. Yes. This is good.]

[[For accessibility purposes, Porygon's handler (me, Bluwiikoon) will be covering their ears whenever they hear a swear word to avoid undue stress. Thank you for your understanding!]]

wO6ciMV.png
(is this voice in the head my dad????)

[[...Kind of!]]

wO6ciMV.png
(HI DAD I LOVE YOU PLEASE LET ME OUT MORE OFTEN)

[[...I'll try!

(dear god nobody tell them)]]

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui

He was momentarily distracted from the strange Pokémon by a familiar voice and a yell. Wes turned his head to see…oh, hell.

He supposed he did know someone in this place, after all. Not that it was any comfort to see that miserable, backstabbing creature again.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I'm a Pory-ory-orygon-Z!" PNS-NT exclaimed, spinning their arms around. "I live in Overca-rca-rcast Village on the Thunder Continent!"

Looking around, they saw...was that another Portion? They quickly floated over to them, and the machine they were in. "Greet-eet-eetings! Who are you?" they asked.

As they read through more and more of the file, their stress processors were approaching full capacity.

Top Bottom