• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Torrent Beach

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Aggron watched as the dragon, Malachai, drew himself upright. Yeah, that was one big dragon. Aggron was going to enjoy this. He'd definitely get stronger.

<You have my attention, Aggron. I am called Malachai, and I attend this island as guardian to my master, Laura of Circhester. Do you challenge me in the service of a human?>
thinking-1.png
Laura, Laura... Had they met anyone named Laura? And Chirchester? That sounded familiar. Was that the place that had that awesome curry?

But Malachi had asked about his challenge. In the service of a human?

neutral face.png
"I'm here with Steven," he said confidently. "And I'm doing this for hi--"

Suddenly, he faltered. He was doing this for Steven. But Steven would have never asked him to do this. This was his decision. To get stronger. To be able to protect Steven.

He grumbled in frustration, tail lashing at the sand.

"I'm doing this for him," he mumbled, staring hard at the ground.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
The aggron did not meet Malachai's eyes as he answered. Interesting. Malachai would not leave such discomfort unprobed.

<Really?> he sent, drily. <Does your Steven have enmity for me? Or has he merely sent you to test your strength against me?>

Idly, he wondered about Aggron's combat style. Would Malachai be best-served by a hard and fast assault? Or perhaps he could improvise, using the environment around them to his advantage? This one would be a formidable opponent no matter his strategem, certainly.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
<Really?> he sent, drily. <Does your Steven have enmity for me? Or has he merely sent you to test your strength against me?>
thinking-1.png
Again with the words that Aggron didn't know. 'Enmity'? Was that some kind of gift? Why would Steven have a gift for a dragon they'd never met?

grumpy.png
"He hasn't sent me anywhere with anything for you," growled Aggron. In fact, he hadn't even spoken with Steven since...

What would Steven say to him? Aggron hadn't tried to talk him out of their investigation last night. He thought he'd be enough to keep them safe. And now... Would Steven have tried to talk him out of this?

Aggron Expression_SNARL.png
No! He had to do this! The beginnings of a Rock Slide formed in the air. "I'm doing this for me!" he roared.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Malachai huffed, and stared impassively at the display of aggression. The rocks would hurt him if they hurtled through the air to strike him, but first Aggron would need to hurl them. Accurately, no less.

<Is that so? It seems your desire to battle has nothing to do with me. I ask you this, Aggron – if any battle will do, how will you know when you have achieved your goal? Will fighting me prove something?>

Do not count on winning,
he thought, privately. But Aggron may well take that for trash talk, rather than simple advice.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
<Is that so? It seems your desire to battle has nothing to do with me. I ask you this, Aggron – if any battle will do, how will you know when you have achieved your goal? Will fighting me prove something?>
grumpy.png
Aggron scowled at Malachai. This guy. Was he serious? Will it prove something? Maybe he just wasn't familiar with how things worked where Aggron was from. He grated out a short, dry laugh. "It has to do with you because you're here, you're big, and you look tough. Is there more to it than that?"

Where the Rock Slide had paused in its formation, it began again, the number of projectiles growing and growing, until a field of them hung around Aggron like a jagged storm cloud.

"It will prove everything," he rumbled dangerously. "The strongest are the ones who protect."

And last night you couldn't even do that.

He shook his head, but Garret's voice crawled up the back of his spine.
'"Weak. Useless. No better than the others. I have no need for you anymore."
Aggron gave a vicious snarl. A warning for that voice to shut the hell up. He didn't own him now. No one did. He went with Steven because he wanted to. Steven was his.

Aggron's roar split the air, the rocks he held aloft rattling from the sound for a split second before he launched a volley straight at Malachai.

"I want to protect what's mine!"

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Malachai didn't stop to snarl or bellow; he leapt upwards, wings beating down hard enough to send loose sand into the air between them, and provide cover for his manouever backward. He needed distance.

<Have it your way,> he sent, icily. <Make your master proud.>

Malachai intended to do exactly that. Not that he needed the girl's validation for his strength and skill.

He rolled in the air, letting masses of rock shoot past, and then braced himself aloft to vomit enough flame down at Aggron to humble him.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Aggron let loose a snort and turned his snout low. The sand kicked up by the dragon's massive wings stung his eyes, forcing him to use his crest to shield against the rest of the airborne sand.

That also meant the last few rocks from his volley were painfully off-target. No matter, he could still hear the dragon's wingbeats above him.

Another round of rocks formed in the air and hurtled toward the source of the sound. A concentrated shot, designed to inflict maximum damage, or force the target to move.

But as Aggron swiped at the air with his claw, trying to clear the remaining sand, another sound greeted his ears. A roar, growing and growing until it engulfed him in hot, licking flames.

He bellowed at the heat on his back, pivoting so the armor along his spine took the brunt of the attack.

"You think I've never taken a flamethrower before?" he roared, undeterred, slamming flaming patches of glassy sand out with his massive tail. "You'll have to do better than that!"

Aggron peered out through the shimmering heat, electricity crackling on his horns. A dark silhouette, to the right. His thunderbolt shot towards its target.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Malachai took the lightning strike and let out a guttural hiss of displeasure as he spent altitude to gain speed. But aggron were not mages, as a species, and the attack was pathetic compared to the hail of stones. Malachai spat fire again, already thinking through his next moves. All his ordinary magics were unsuitable. The fire was the best he had, against this opponent. He needed something unexpected.

<Likewise,>
he sent, with cruel intensity. <Show me your next heedless decision, fool.>

Malachai traded speed back for height once again, putting himself between Aggron and the sun, and then added to that blinding light with his own fiery breath, an intense white flame that roared for him.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Aggron gave a toothy grin as lumbered down the beach after his foe. It felt good watching that dragon wobble in the air from his strike. It wasn't a huge hit, but enough to maybe make the opponent think twice. Aggron could take those kinds of hits all day. Could Malachai?

The next flamethrower only glanced him as he ducked and loped across the sand. He knew covering fire when he saw it. Two could play at that game.

Aggron conjured up a round of smaller rocks, firing them off in a wide spread. Faster, more random. He was still running as he let them loose. Inaccurate at best, but a few more reminders that he had ways to deal with enemies who thought their wings made them superior.

But when he came to a halt, spinning to relocate the dragon overhead, all he got was a face full of sun.

Aggron screeched, spots dancing in his vision. For one, bone-chilling second, he was back in that arena, blind as a Zubat.

He couldn't even finish the thought before he howled in pain. The fire that enveloped him seared against his armor, unable to hunker down and protect the gaps between his plates. It burned, and he staggered backward, snarling at Malachai. At himself.

Aggron slammed himself into the sand, burrowing down to find the cool wetness beneath. He panted from the effort, trying to lose the excess heat that sizzled under his armor. Garrett's words hissed along with it.

Weak. Weak. No better than the rest. You never learn.
No. He wasn't done. He did learn. Steven taught him.

A shadow passed overhead, looming over where he'd half-buried himself in the sand. With a grunt, he sunk his claws into the earth, building his next volley where the dragon couldn't see it.

Taught him how to be better. Stronger. Smarter.

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Malachai narrowed his eyes as he looked down at his opponent. Pride kept him from simply leaving, which the aggron could certainly not prevent. Humility kept him from diving in a full-on attack, bound to result in the brute's bulk coming fully to bear against him. Instead, he built velocity, aerokinesis slipping him through the air at a speed and agility mere wings could not.

Malachai's real trick was still in reserve, but Aggron was entrenching himself, or something like it. That wouldn't do. He sent a goading thought the way of Aggron's mind, smirking to himself.

<Oh? Trying something other than crude artillery this time?>

The flying-type energy coursed through him, but not yet, not yet—!

Malachai used Flamethrower again...?

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Out of the corner of his vision, Aggron could see the dragon stooping into a dive. He heard him say some kind of snide remark, but he was too busy concentrating to pay attention to the words. He had to focus, like Steven always told him to do.

We aim for the weak points--

Aggron concentrated, building and building rocks beneath the sand.

--But we have to find them first.

For flying enemies, he could pick his poison. Lightning to fry their wings. Ice to weigh them down. Rocks to knock them earthward.

But with dragons, there was one extra weakness he'd learned about. Not one from battling practice, or training routines, or in the books Metagross loved to read. He learned it from time. Time outside a cave. Time spent traveling, growing, improving. Time with Steven.

That was why he was better than Garrett ever could have made him. Garrett didn't care about time. All he cared about were results. And that's why Garrett had the same weakness as all the dragons Aggron had met.

The roar of Malachai's flamethrower sounded from overhead. He was close, getting closer. The heat of the flames warmed Aggron's back. And then he moved.

A tight semicircle of rocks shot from the sand in a straight vertical trajectory. The explosion of sand in their wake created an impenetrable curtain that slammed into the oncoming flamethrower, smothering the worst of it and scattering gobbets of molten glass in the air.

He couldn't see through the sandscreen, but Aggron knew the dragon was still coming for him; he could hear the rush of wind from its leathery wings. Fast enough that he'd dodged that initial round of rocks, just like Aggron wanted. Fast enough that pulling up from that dive would be nigh impossible.

He waited one more breath, for the sand to start its fall back to earth, and then he jumped.

The massive boulder he'd formed beneath his feet launched skyward as he flung it with Rock Slide, carrying Aggron with it. Helm pointed toward the sand curtain, he roared as he pierced straight through.

Steven taught him his opponent's real weakness: thinking they were the only ones allowed to soar.

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
A counter. Expected, but threatening. Malachai rolled and pulled away. Even so— BRAPCK.

The impact cracked Malachai across his ribcage, and something cracked nastily inside his chest. He pulled his lip back in a snarl, and came around, fighting for momentum. He wasn't done.

<Clever trick. Here's mine.>

Malachai used Hurricane...?

All that flying-type energy he'd pooled inside himself escaped into the sky... and returned as a wind forceful enough to rouse the waves to wrath. The lower sky frenzied with salt-spray and thin clouds, and the sea roared an answer.

Malachai's Hurricane became Surf!

An early tide raced towards Aggron, as unstoppable as only the ocean could be.

Last edited:

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Aggron slammed into Malachi at full speed, ducking his head at the last minute to avoid striking the dragon with his horns. (He wasn't trying to shish kabob his opponent.)

The thick part of his neck and shoulder made contact squarely with the dragon's chest as he tried to pull up and away from Aggron's flying charge. No glancing blows this time though; it made a good, meaty sound.

But stunned as he was, Malachai held his wings, leaving Aggron to plummet back to the ground below. He landed in a heap with an earthshaking WHUMPF, leaving a sizeable crater in the sand.

Aggron wheezed, clearing sand from his nostrils and trying to catch his breath. Right, so he didn't stick the landing, but still, it was worth knocking the wind out of himself to see the look on that dragon's face when he met him in mid air.

Slowly, Aggron got to his feet, laboring slightly as he clambered out from his landing zone. By now, Malachai had circled back around, a flying type attack forming around his slipstream.

neutral face.png
"What," huffed Aggron, "you think you're gonna blow me away? Huff and puff and all that."
grumpy.png
He wheezed again. Maybe that landing did more damage than he thought. No matter, he was solid as a mountain. Even the biggest dragon couldn't hope to bowl him over with just wind.

He began to form another Rock Slide, one cluster over each shoulder. He'd wait until the dragon closed in and then launch the rocks cross-body in a flanking attack from both sides.

The wind whipped into a frenzy, and the beach itself seemed to groan in reply. Then, a sudden sucking, gurgling sound. The waters edge began to retreat.

Aggron paused, taking in this new change in their battlefield. He learned very early on not to tempt fate when dealing with the ocean, a lesson reinforced from his time with Steven (and all those times he battled that flouncy water-type trainer he called a friend.)

He didn't have to wait long, though, as the water came rushing back, higher and higher, swelling and swelling--

surprise.png
"Oh shi--" Aggron let out one of those words that Sidney liked to use as the massive wave bore down on him.

No time to throw up a Protect, he still was forming his Rock Slide. Hastily, he swung his claws together, slamming each half of his Rock Slide into the ground in front of him, creating makeshift breakwater.

But it was too little, too late, and the wave crashed overtop of the barricade, sweeping Aggron back and sending him tumbling.

Water swirled over him, and he writhed, managing to roll himself onto his stomach to try and dig for purchase in the sand with all four claws.

Now under control, he hunkered low and raised Protect's shield to ward off the foul seawater. The water rushed past, then receded, sucking at his legs as it went by.
grumpy.png
Soon, the beach was clear, and Aggron dropped his Protect, standing there scowling up at the dragon with water running in rivulets down his armor, leaving fat drops on the sand as it fell.

He could still fight, but something about that wave had cooled his head. Maybe because it was much the same way he'd met Steven for the first time. Granite Cave, a sea cave, had washed the tiny, frail human right into Aggon's lap; soggy, disheveled, and pretty banged up.

He took it upon himself to look after Steven, because someone had to. And then, from the sheer luck of it, Steven let him battle in a Gym! Garret had never let him do that. That night, after Aggron embarrassed that fighting type Gym, Steven had promised him he'd be a good trainer, and treat him right.

Aggron had been pretty sure he'd picked the right human when he led him out of that cave, but that's when he knew for sure. He would always do everything in his power to make Steven proud.

Overhead, Malachai hovered, watching carefully. But as Aggron's mind wandered to his behavior last night, the way he'd left, the look he'd seen on Steven's face... He didn't feel like battling any more.

He raised his claws like he'd seen human trainers do, and tilted his head toward the dragon in deference.

"I've had enough," he said. "I think I've got my answer."

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Good. Whatever this 'mon's troubles were, any answer that would not trouble Malachai was a fine development indeed. Malachai landed on the beach, concentrating for a moment to draw on Roost, despite his rustiness. With a hateful grunt, he tensed his torso and channelled healing energy to his broken rib and bruised chest.

<Then our battle is ended,> he sent, bluntly. <Humour my curiosity, Aggron. For what reason did you challenge me, and then call for truce?>

He gazed impassively at his momentary opponent, and swallowed the impulse to attack again. It stung to leave their fight this way, but he had a responsibility to his master. If Laura needed him and he'd exerted himself past his limits battling a fearsome foe, he'd be rightly chagrined for indulging his own ego over something inconsequential. If Laura needed him, and he'd spent his strength on vanity... Well, had he not already done that, after a fashion? And why? Why did it matter to accept a challenge from a stranger when he could flee? Was Malachai really so proud that he could not decline a battle? Perhaps it was the twisted anger inside him that whatever enemy stalked the island was beyond his ability to destroy.

Ah, yes. Perhaps the truth of Aggron's challenge lay there.

<Is it pride that ails you, or pride's bastard offspring, shame?>

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
<Then our battle is ended,> he sent, bluntly. <Humour my curiosity, Aggron. For what reason did you challenge me, and then call for truce?>
<Is it pride that ails you, or pride's bastard offspring, shame?>
thinking.png
Aggron thought for a moment, resting and letting the salty water drip down from his horns and snout and splatter to the sand.

"I don't know," he finally answered. "Which one of those is for when you're afraid?"

The tip of his tail tapped-tapped on the hard-packed sand. "Last night I was afraid. I got angry. This enemy that's taking people... I couldn't fight it, and I got mad. I didn't want to lose what I care about."

His gaze wandered out over the water before he looked up the beach toward where Malachai landed. "What feeling is that? Because that's why I challenged you. I wanted to fight until it went away. Is that wrong?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Malachai stared at Aggron for a moment, the lingering gusts of his windstorm still whistling in his ears. In the midst of battle, he could hear an opponent's heart beat, their lungs fill and empty, whenever they drew close. Malachai drew close now, and listened. Aggron's pulse didn't sound afraid now; his heart did not pump above the pace and volume of the waves, or the sucking of wet sand at his heavy feet.

<It's a pleasure to meet you in your right mind, Aggron,> he sent, gently. <You should know, it is not unusual for a strong, young warrior like yourself to want to defeat their fears in simple battle. As if they were any other opponent, an enemy that does not frighten them. However, no 'mon can simply bludgeon their shortcomings – real or imagined – into defeat.>

It was not in Malachai's nature to reach out with a wingtip, or offer some physical comfort. So, he did not. But he did turn to face the ocean, parallel to Aggron, to reflect him in body as much as he did in mind at that moment.

<I am also unable to hunt and defeat this enemy in single combat. It is not the first time I have met this trouble, nor will it be the last. Yet, I am not afraid, Aggron. I am not afraid, because it is not my enemy alone. It is yours. It is my Laura's. It is ours; the enemy of us all. We shall neither hunt, nor confront it, alone.>

<><><><><><>

Day 6 - Decisions Taken

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
After having decided that perhaps it wasn't exactly the best decision to have an usually-not-a-fighter Pokémon fight, Seb went down to the beach for a stroll to take his mind off of the news of the morning. To think that a police officer was kidnapped. Silently and unnoticed until now? The host didn't mention where it happened, so nobody seemed to have an idea of where to investigate. For now, Seb wanted to relax with the soft breeze cooling off his face.

"Guess this is where things will start getting worse, right?" He sighed with eyes closed and head raised in worry. "Can't this case be solved faster? I don't want Mom to worry..."

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
Some may say that taking a beach day when two more people had gone missing was heartless. Kimiko would counter that if she didn't try to keep grounded, she'd lose her mind. And this time, one of them was the Head Cop? Yeah, no. She followed her main lead yesterday. Today, she needed to keep busy. She hadn't gotten to swim properly since the boat - well, she hadn't even gotten the chance then, had she?

She took a pit stop at the island's TM shop first; Olivia had sorely needed a dark-type counter move since the first kidnapping, and while she thought forgetting a healing move was ill-advised, she valued both the power-up that calm mind provided as well as the type coverage Olivia's other moves offered, so morning sun had to go. Man, this universe in which Olivia would only keep track of four moves at a time was weird. At least back home this sort of thing was restricted to high-level competitions, and you were only limited by the first four moves you chose to use rather than a constant set...

Olivia had wanted to practice, but Kimiko wouldn't bring herself to go back to the arena alone. They could practice later. For now, she needed a swim.

But as she approached the water, Olivia tensed, crouching into a defensive posture, and Kimiko tensed as well; Olivia had actually picked up on someone else. Kimiko quickly tried to hide herself, debating whether or not she should continue or just leave, but upon closer investigation, she spotted someone else already on the sand, and found him somewhat familiar. She must have seen him at roll call.

"Easy Olivia, I think he's with us," Kimiko said as she resumed her walk, now towards the other person instead of the water. Olivia didn't seem to relax, trotting along behind cautiously.

"Hey," she called out to him, fully aware of the hypocricy of her next statement. "It's not safe to be walking around by yourself, you know!"

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Seb turned around at the sound of the voice calling to him, interrupted from his small melancholy. "Oh, hi. I'm not exactly alone, with you and that Espeon of yours..." He looked up to the sky with a small smile. "...and a friend of mine over here."

From above, a humanoid Pidgeotto with a sleek musculature swooped down and slid on the sand upon landing. His crest waved around with the breeze, wings stretched out to the sides.

"Ladies," the bird uttered in greeting.

Not too far from the shore, if one looked closely, they could have also seen a Farfetch'd with a similar humanoid shape practicing with his leek.

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
Seb turned around at the sound of the voice calling to him, interrupted from his small melancholy. "Oh, hi. I'm not exactly alone, with you and that Espeon of yours..." He looked up to the sky with a small smile. "...and a friend of mine over here."

From above, a humanoid Pidgeotto with a sleek musculature swooped down and slid on the sand upon landing. His crest waved around with the breeze, wings stretched out to the sides.

"Ladies," the bird uttered in greeting.

Not too far from the shore, if one looked closely, they could have also seen a Farfetch'd with a similar humanoid shape practicing with his leek.

Oh, Kimiko thought as she watched the strange pidgeotto land nearby. Maybe that's what Olivia was so defensive about. She nodded in greeting at the bird, regardless.

"Well, no, not anymore..." she replied. "But I think they more meant for us to be out in groups, not just trainer/partner pairs. What were you doing out here, training?"

Top Bottom