• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Torrent Beach - Storm Drain Marsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Irene stared between the assembled trainers, hand now clenched around her second pokeball and her other fist squeezed into a fist. At first they'd started asking questions but now that freaky Swoobat and Walter or whatever the gym leaders name was seemed to be getting into it and Steven just seemed so done with it all, along with the girl and her accesorized Ninetales. And... well she had no idea how an Oshawott learned to speak human but whatever.

"By the legends, you're all nuts," she muttered, mostly to herself. "Like I said, I was just walking, okay? I heard a scream but I don't want to stick my nose into things, so I high-tailed it away." She folded her arms, her Roserade micmiking the movement. She glanced nervously behind her, as if anxious to leave. "That's it, okay. Just a scream. Can I go?"
Steven took a deep breath in an attempt to calm his racing heart and frazzled nerves. He rested a hand against Aggron's arm, a signal for his partner to stand down. Aggron shot him a curious look, but obeyed. His snarling stopped and he took several steps back from the center of the clearing.

With a silent prayer that the rest of the assembled trainers would keep their mouths shut, he stepped forward with his palms up in a non-threatening gesture. In a calm even voice, he said,

neutral straight ahead.png
"I'm sorry, I don't know your name, but please, if you know anything else, can you share it with us? A young trainer --a young girl-- is missing. That was the scream you heard. Please, time is of the essence if we have any hope of finding her."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Steven took a deep breath in an attempt to calm his racing heart and frazzled nerves. He rested a hand against Aggron's arm, a signal for his partner to stand down. Aggron shot him a curious look, but obeyed. His snarling stopped and he took several steps back from the center of the clearing.

With a silent prayer that the rest of the assembled trainers would keep their mouths shut, he stepped forward with his palms up in a non-threatening gesture. In a calm even voice, he said,

View attachment 3342
"I'm sorry, I don't know your name, but please, if you know anything else, can you share it with us? A young trainer --a young girl-- is missing. That was the scream you heard. Please, time is of the essence if we have any hope of finding her."
Wallace took a deep breath. Right, the beach. The scream. He was nuts. This woman. He had to calm down. Deep breath. Deep breath. Forget about the gremlin demon bat thing.

"Do you... Do you remember seeing any... suspicious persons or Pokémon since coming here? Besides us. Anything that seemed off?"

Wallace dropped his stick. Right, don't look like you're losing it. Stay calm. Be friendly. Smile.

Irene shifted on her feet, trying to appear relaxed. She glanced between the two of them, then down at Roserade. Roserade had at least, relaxed a little bit now the the Aggron backed down. "My name is Irene," she relented. "This is Hemlock, but you can call her Roserade."

Her eyes narrowed slightly. "Even if I had seen something, why should I trust you? How do I know you didn't have something to do with what happened to Reena?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Nobody said her name," May managed to say. "You just said Reena. Nobody said it was her who disappeared. So you must have seen something."

She took a breath, but it didn't ease the tension in her muscles much. "You can't know you can trust us, I guess, but I think most of us saw each other arrive from the hotel?"

After a moment, she added, "I'm May."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
XRepostedX

Last edited:

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Nobody said her name," May managed to say. "You just said Reena. Nobody said it was her who disappeared. So you must have seen something."
worried.png
Steven sucked in another breath. So Irene had seen something. But why was she keeping it to herself? Why would she delay at such a critical time as this? It was clear from the way she said the young trainer's name she was worried. He was about to ask her as much when Wallace opened his mouth...

"Ms. Irene, do you happen to know Winona, or am I mistaking your friend for a different person?" He then turned to May. "And May... do I know you? the name sounds familiar."
frustrated.png
Steven shot him a venomous look. "Wallace, please. Not here. Not now." Steven hated himself for this, but it had to be done. They had to stay focused, for Reena's sake.

Her eyes narrowed slightly. "Even if I had seen something, why should I trust you? How do I know you didn't have something to do with what happened to Reena?"
His gaze softened as he turned back to Irene. He shook his head. "There's nothing I can say that will convince you to trust us, not when you've been so cautious thus far. But I will swear on my name as Hoenn's Champion, we are trying to help Reena. Let us help you find who did this to her, and get her back safely."

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum

She took a breath, but it didn't ease the tension in her muscles much. "You can't know you can trust us, I guess, but I think most of us saw each other arrive from the hotel?"

After a moment, she added, "I'm May."

A flash of fear shot through Irene's eyes before vanishing. She chuckled. "I mean come on, of course I'd know the names of the other trainers on the island. And not a lot of people would scream like that, it doesn't mean I know anything just cause I know her name-"

Hemlock, who'd been studying the other trainers, nudged Irene's leg. Irene glanced at her and scowled slightly. Hemlock stared back. Finally, Irene sighed.

"Fine... I was near the beach and I heard the scream and I glimpsed something through the trees. Something yellow or gold colored. Right near where the scream was from. Maybe a yellow-ish pokemon, I don't know. Didn't get a close look. I freaked and got scared and ran before I could see anything else though. I swear thats all I know. I don't know what happened to her, okay?" She crossed her arms and glanced at Wallace. "And no, I don't know Winona or whatever. I mean she's a gym leader but I never met her."

Hemlock glared at Wallace pointedly.

"And don't call her Hemlock. Only I do that," Irene added.

... Irene seems to be telling most of the truth. She doesn't know what happened to Reena and she did see something gold or yellow! That's really all she knows about the disappearance.

If she had anything else to say, it seemed unlikely she'd say it in front of so many people...

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Fine... I was near the beach and I heard the scream and I glimpsed something through the trees. Something yellow or gold colored. Right near where the scream was from. Maybe a yellow-ish pokemon, I don't know. Didn't get a close look. I freaked and got scared and ran before I could see anything else though. I swear thats all I know. I don't know what happened to her, okay?"
eyes closed pensive.png
Steven exhaled a shaky breath. Thank the gods, she finally agreed to share what she saw. The relief was palpable, but still not enough to make the knot in his stomach unclench. Reena was still missing, and as useful a hint as Irene was able to provide, the culprit was still out there. Not to mention Irene was putting herself in considerable danger in admitting what she saw.

"Thank you, Irene," Steven said. "This will be a huge help in finding who did this. In the meantime, I hope I can speak for everyone present and promise that we'll leave your name out of the investigation. Until we figure out who did this, we cannot paint a target on your back either."

He finally broke eye contact, staring down at the muddy marshland soaking into his shoes. "I apologize for all of this. It's a stressful situation, as I'm sure you're well aware. I wish you well, and please, be careful out there."

Steven turned and walked to the edge of the clearing, where he stopped with his back turned to the group. It looked like there was more on his mind, but he wasn't sure how to form the words.

"We should head back to the beach and let the authorities know what we've discovered about the culprit's identity," he said aloud, but made no move to leave the clearing just yet.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
"We should head back to the beach and let the authorities know what we've discovered about the culprit's identity," he said aloud, but made no move to leave the clearing just yet.
12902DBA-5A58-4BC4-87C7-84F45319B382.png
Well, all of that amounted to absolutely nothing. People really didn’t like causing scenes here, did they? She supposed it was good they’d gotten the color of the culprit—she’d file that away for later—but now everyone was getting ready to leave without a single damn outburst.

She locked her eyes on Clovis 2.0, channeled her best horny impression of her host, and whistled loudly.

“̶H̷e̶e̵e̵e̶e̷e̷e̸y̷ ̵p̸r̶e̸t̸t̸y̴ ̷b̸o̶y̴,̵ ̶w̴h̶y̵ ̵d̴o̵n̷’̶t̷ ̸y̶o̷u̵ ̵p̶u̶l̷l̸ ̶o̶f̴f̵ ̷t̵h̷a̴t̶ ̶e̴x̴p̸e̶n̵s̵i̵v̵e̴ ̵s̷u̸i̸t̴ ̶a̶n̷d̶ ̶l̶e̶t̷ ̶e̷v̷e̶r̸y̷o̸n̴e̸ ̷s̴e̶e̷ ̶t̵h̴e̴ ̵r̴e̴e̶e̸e̶a̴a̸a̶a̷a̷l̷ ̵e̷x̶p̶e̸n̶s̴i̷v̶e̶ ̶g̸o̴o̴d̶n̶e̸s̵s̷ ̷u̸n̵d̶e̴r̶n̸e̷a̶t̷h̴ ̴b̵e̴f̶o̶r̷e̸ ̵y̶o̵u̶ ̷g̶o̶?̶”̵

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Steven had nearly slowed his breathing back to normal when the hissing voice of that shadow creature floated through the clearing. He'd forgotten all about her in the tension of Irene's confrontation. All of his patience, all of his cool, calm, and collected facade was gone in an instant.

She locked her eyes on Clovis 2.0 and channeled her best horny impression of her host and whistled loudly.

“̶H̷e̶e̵e̵e̶e̷e̷e̸y̷ ̵p̸r̶e̸t̸t̸y̴ ̷b̸o̶y̴,̵ ̶w̴h̶y̵ ̵d̴o̵n̷’̶t̷ ̸y̶o̷u̵ ̵p̶u̶l̷l̸ ̶o̶f̴f̵ ̷t̵h̷a̴t̶ ̶e̴x̴p̸e̶n̵s̵i̵v̵e̴ ̵s̷u̸i̸t̴ ̶a̶n̷d̶ ̶l̶e̶t̷ ̶e̷v̷e̶r̸y̷o̸n̴e̸ ̷s̴e̶e̷ ̶t̵h̴e̴ ̵r̴e̴e̶e̸e̶a̴a̸a̶a̷a̷l̷ ̵e̷x̶p̶e̸n̶s̴i̷v̶e̶ ̶g̸o̴o̴d̶n̶e̸s̵s̷ ̷u̸n̵d̶e̴r̶n̸e̷a̶t̷h̴ ̴b̵e̴f̶o̶r̷e̸ ̵y̶o̵u̶ ̷g̶o̶?̶”̵
He wheeled around to face the creature, but was too incensed to remember to be afraid of her, let alone acknowledge what she had said. Somewhere, something snapped, and all he saw was red. He jabbed a finger at the dusty, twiggy, woobat-looking thing that most definitely was that shadow demon's actual form, and shouted,

frustrated.png
"Did you ever stop to think, just once, about the consequences of your actions? There is a young girl missing. She's missing! And that if we had chased off Irene, our best lead, and lost her information, we might never find her! Reena, a young trainer not unlike that Kalosian girl you have a fancy for imitating... What would you have done if that was her we were looking for instead of Reena?"

angry straight ahead.png
"You can harass me all you want, but if your actions ever jeopardize our efforts to find Reena and bring her home safe, Rayquaza above--"

Steven couldn't bring himself to finish the threat. He was nearly shaking by the time he'd finished his outburst, shoulders heaving from his anger.

Suddenly, his posture slumped and his hand fell back to his side. He turned away from Odile before she could say anything. When he spoke again, his voice was eerily calm.

eyes closed pensive.png
"Did you know that there are classes for parents of wealth and privilege, whose children might be targets for abduction? What to do, how to think... Not "if", but "when" they are taken."

"I found out about them when I was young, but my father wouldn't elaborate when I asked him. So, naturally, when I was older, I looked those classes up. I learned what was in them, what they told my father about what happens to those children... What might happen to me."

Steven paused and took a steadying breath. It didn't stop his voice from wavering.

"They don't tell you what to do if you never get them back."

Without another word, Steven squared his shoulders and walked out of the marsh.

Last edited:

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Odile Bat.PNG
Yes, yes, YES. This is what she CAME HERE FOR.

She eyed him fondly as he fired his eloquently crafted tongue lashing at her, her eyes prickling up more and more, as if she were smiling. Her being looked good on him. He looked very good mad. Yes, it was certain; catcalling was always the way to go.

"̶B̶o̸l̴d̷ ̴o̴f̴ ̶y̴o̷u̴ ̷t̸o̴ ̵a̵s̷s̶u̸m̶e̵ ̷I̴ ̷t̸h̸i̶n̷k̷,̴"̷
̸she cracked. "̴I̷ ̴j̸u̴s̵t̷ ̵d̸o̶.̷"̵

It really was beautiful. The intensity of his words, the way his whole body shook with the anger as he spoke. So good. This was the good stuff. And then when he got quiet? The downright eeriness of his level tone, and the way his voice wavered as he walked away.

A fucking masterpiece it was. She wanted to applaud. She wanted to hoot and holler.

She couldn't though. Because all she could feel in her stomach now were bowling balls.

What?

><><><><><><><>><><>

D5: A Brief Look-See (Odile, the fucker)

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Odile Smug.PNG
Mm, yes. That Guzma sock smell. She was glad to be back, fucking around on her own for a bit.

Odile used Foresight! @Flyg0n

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
View attachment 4021
Mm, yes. That Guzma sock smell. She was glad to be back, fucking around on her own for a bit.

Odile poked around!.... But it failed!

It seemed there was little to see in the marsh. Just a pair of wild Quagsire, watching Odile with their heads tilted ever so slightly, mouths open and a vague sense of curiosity coming from them. Probably worth the trip anyway, just to see Quagsire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom