• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon To Speak Again [Mischief and Malice Contest One-Shot]

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Hi everyone! This is my entry for the Mischief and Malice contest held on Thousand Roads in 2022. I was inspired by the trickster magician archetype and explored how dangerous he could be, but also how far he'll go when his friends need him.

Content warning: there is a graphic depiction of a woman being choked to death.

Word count: 7,000

I hope you enjoy! I accept all feedback and criticism!

Alistair.png

“Want to charm that pretty lass down the street? Or make a statement at the latest social? Come and take a gander at these crystals!”

An assortment of quartz, opals, amethysts, and more sparkled in a glittering rainbow beneath a dull, grey sky. Alistair waved his cane over his wares while the eyes of onlookers hungrily devoured the glimmering spectacles. A top hat sat tilted over his chin-length greasy blonde hair. Pale blue eyes gazed out from beneath its brim, surveying his customers calculatingly. His midnight black coat was ragged, with embroideries of moon phases stretching across his sleeves and over his back.

“How much for this ‘un?” a man grunted.

“Ah, that sapphire’s is a special one, it is! My mate, Voleur, and I to fight off three Spiritomb to get to it. It’s got powerful magical properties, it does! Some say that it can show you visions of the past. We’ll sell it to you for 250 quid!”

“250 quid?! This ain’t worth half that! I’ll give ye a hundred.”

“That’s an insult! If that’s your offer, then be off with you!”

The man reluctantly put the sapphire back on the table and grumbled, his eyes still fixed on the stone.

A young woman whose dark blonde hair was pulled back into a tight bun looked curiously at a small gem in question. Her dark blue eyes shone with awe. A Hoppip sat perched on her head, her leaves quivering.

“What say you, Pippa?” the woman asked. “Shall I get one of these for Mum? It is her birth stone, and she does fancy this color. It’d look so nice with her new brooch…”

“Ah, got a preference for that one, have you?” Alistair asked as he cocked his top hat. “A fine eye you have, indeed! ‘Time Sapphire,’ that one is called. Some cultures in the Far East claim that it’ll show you what happened ages ago. Go ahead, hold it, see if it’s to your fancy!”

Without another word, he took one of the woman’s hands and placed the sapphire in it. No historical visions appeared, but the Hoppip and the woman smiled as she held it and examined it meticulously.

What she did not know was that, in the moment hers and Alistair’s hands touched, a ripple of energy passed through them. The man’s heart beat with excitement and a smile crossed his face. He looked to his right.

“Voleur!”

A Lucario, who had previously been dozing off in a patch of heather, jumped at the sound of his name. Flashing a dazzling smile, he walked over to his human companion and put an arm around Alistair’s shoulders.

“Meet my companion, Voleur! See, chap, this lass here has taken a fancy to that sapphire, she has!”

The lady smiled at Voleur.

“Pleased to meet you. I’m Victoria Overhill, and this—” she gestured to the Hoppip “—is Pippa!”

Pippa happily pipped in response.

Alistair started.

“Overhill? Do you belong to the family that lives in that townhouse just beyond the Thelem river?”

“I do indeed, yes.”

“I knew you looked familiar! My younger sister is married to Jerome Overhill. Live in that same unit, I believe.”

Victoria’s eyes shone with delight. “Yes, he is my cousin! And one of my childhood best friends. How marvelous that you know him! I’ll be sure to tell them I met you today, Mr…?”

“Alistair Summer, at your service!” he said with a bow. “Anyway, I don’t mean to hurry you along, Miss Victoria, but I do have other customers to attend to.” And it was true—a group of people looked expectantly at him, waiting for the conversation to finish.

“Ah, yes, of course! I don’t believe in those Oriental tales that it gives you visions, but this sapphire really is beautiful. I’ll take it. How much for it, then?”

“For Jerome Overhill’s cousin, I’ll cut you a deal. I’ll give it to you for 25 quid.”

“25 quid!”

The man who had argued over the earlier price exploded. His eyes bulged as he jabbed a finger at the salesman.

“What kind of a business ye got goin’ on here? Cuttin’ deals for family an’ friends? That there gem is worth loads more, yet yer givin’ it to her for a fraction of the price!”

“That, my friend,” Alistair said, his pale face creased into a dark smile, “is the beauty of owning your own business! My place, my rules. You want that jewel, you pay 250. Or you leave.”

Looking over, he saw that Voleur had wrapped the sapphire in a sheet of paper, tied it with a ribbon, and handed it to Victoria and Pippa with a smile.

“T’was a pleasure meeting you, Miss Victoria! If you ever want to chat, you and Pippa are more than welcome to stop by our place for an afternoon tea.”

She beamed. “That sounds lovely! Where do you and Mr. Voleur stay?”

“We’re a traveling pair, never in one spot for very long. But we’re staying in a little hut over yonder hill, there.” He gestured with his cane to a heather-covered hill, where flowers and long strands of greyish-green grass swayed under the cloudy sky.

“And, of course,” he announced to the group at large, “we’ll be here every day this week, from 11 o’clock until 6! Bring your aunts, bring your cousins, and come get gifts for your loved ones!”

“We’ll see you soon, then, Mr. Alistair!”

“We’re looking forward to it, Miss Victoria and Miss Pippa!”

The duo took off while Alistair and Voleur attended to the other customers. After several more hours of arguing, bargaining, shouting accusations, narrowly avoiding fistfights, and exchanging goods and money, the two made their way back to the small wooden hut they had taken lodging in. Looking through the smoky window, Alistair saw the Thelem river burbling along, the same shade of dreary grey as the featureless sky. His long, bony fingers gripped a chipped porcelain cup of black Kanto tea. Voleur’s paws gripped a similar cup, also filled with a piping hot tea. Around them lay an assortment of items gathered from their travels: several oddly-shaped crystals; a pile of books with cracked and ragged bindings; a series of shrunken, shriveled heads; storyboards carved out of wood that depicted tribal island life; small figurines chipped out of stone that were originally votive offerings; a small tablet with a description in ancient Galar that read, “to a forgotten god;” bags full of spices, herbs, and teas; several sticks of chalk; and several more pouches that bulged with unseen contents. Alistair’s top hat lay on the table, the mop of his greasy blonde hair falling around his chin. It had been days since he shaved, and small ginger hairs sprouted on his face. His watery eyes locked on Voleur’s vermillion ones.

“You know what I’m going to say, don’t you?”

Voleur wordlessly nodded.

“But you couldn’t feel it, could you?”

Voleur’s gaze fell and his shoulders slumped. He shook his head.

“That girl has aura.”

Voleur perked up. Alistair’s eyes shone with a hopeful light, a smile growing on his face.

“She has aura, Voleur! I activated a spell to detect it in other people, and I sensed it in her when I handed her the sapphire. We can do this, we can transfer it, we can get your power back! Ah, I see your concern, but don’t you worry about me! Family is family. She may be an Overhill, but they’re my family, too, and nothing will cut family ties. And even if they never wanted to speak to me again—why, getting your aura back is everything!”

Voleur leapt out of his chair, excitedly jumping up and down, a grin lighting his face in silent glee. After a moment, his bouncing stilled, and his smile slowly faded. He balled his fists and shook them in anger, desperation shining in his eyes.

Alistair’s heart panged. Getting up, he walked over to Voleur and put an arm around him.

“I’m sorry, mate, I know you want to share your excitement. But soon, you will! You’ll be able to speak again—and so much more…”

Voleur sat down on his chair, staring up at a wooden storyboard. Alistair sat next to him, his eyes on the same piece.

“Still thinking it was that woman, Isa, who did this, do you? I guess that’s the only connection we got….”

Wood from an ifit tree was elegantly carved in the shape of Wailord. Within the Wailord was a scene of palm trees standing at the edge of a beach. A group of invading islander warriors fled from the beach onto their rafts, carrying screaming indigenous women over their shoulders.

As clearly as the day it happened, Alistair saw the sun shining through the leaves of coconut trees. The sky was shockingly blue and the air was heavy with the taste of salt. Looking out through the window of the thatched home he and Voleur sat in, they could see a swathe of palm trees give way to a sandy beach and turquoise ocean.

Is this the place you carved in the ifit wood? Voleur’s voice reverberated through Alistair’s head. A small woman, whose dark face was heavy with wrinkles, looked up at them. Her white hair was tied into a thick braid draped over her shoulder. She wove together several palm branches, slowly forming a large mat.

“Yes,” she replied, evidently having heard Voleur’s question. “That scene depicts when the Haggan warriors invaded our island four hundred years ago. They interrupted our yearly mango festival, burned most of our tents to the ground, stole our food, took a hundred women from the Ayuyu tribe for themselves, and sailed off with them. They didn’t make it, though. Our ancestral spirits, the Taotao Mo’na, chased them, and their ship crashed just at the reef. All of them, including the women they kidnapped, perished. That event is still mourned among us to this day.”

Alistair moved his gaze from the ocean to the wooden piece she spoke of.

“ ‘Tis truly a beautiful piece you’ve got—handwork like this is prized all around the world! You should be very proud of it, Ms. Isa.”

The woman smiled. “Thank you. If you are interested in buying, we can negotiate a price. I usually charge about 350 Koror dollars for pieces like that.”

Alistair whistled and Voleur crossed his arms. “Your work is certainly beautiful, ma’am, but to pay such a steep price…”

“A ‘steep’ price? It is a fair price. I spent my life studying and perfecting this craft. You won’t find it outside this island. 350 it is, if you don’t want the gods wreaking justice on you.”

Justice? Voleur laughed. You actually believe that justice will be carried out after telling us stories like that? He asked, pointing his paw at the ifit carving. Did the Ayuyu ever get anything back after the Haggan pillaged them? They died, just like their invaders!

“Justice doesn’t mean you get back what you lost—some things that are lost are never found again. You don’t regain purity or innocence. And lives that are lost are gone forever. Justice means that, when you do wrong, it will come back to you. And that is what the Haggan faced when they attacked us.” She looked at Voleur disapprovingly. “Lucario are supposed to be most gallant creatures, and yet you’re spending your life swindling and trying to make cheap profits?”

“My companion’s got a fair point, ma’am,” Alistair said, leaning against the table on which Isa was weaving her palm leaves. “As much as we respect your trade, we’ve got to fill our bellies, too, and we aren’t making a profit if you’re gutting us out with such high prices. We’ll give you 150 quid for your carving.”

“Leave.”

Alistair tsk-tsk’d. “You’d really send away like that? You’re an elderly woman, ma’am, and haven’t got much longer for this earth, and you really just want to spend the rest of your life shooing people out the door?”

“Don’t make that offer again—there are banyan trees all around this island, and the Taotao Mo’na living inside them will hear. I’ve got better ways to live my life than entertaining people like you. Your offer was downright insulting. I’m getting what I deserve for my work, or I won’t give it away at all. 350.”

Isa looked up and saw Voleur’s eyes shining a brilliant blue. She gasped.

You shouldn’t have messed with us, woman, his voice rang. When we give you our price, you accept, like everyone else does.

Voleur raised a paw, pointing it at Isa. He remained sitting where he was, at least a meter away from the elder. But Alistair saw indents appear on Isa’s neck where Voleur’s aura pressed in, tightening her airway. Her dark eyes bulged, red lines appearing as blood vessels burst. She gurgled wordlessly, foaming at the mouth. Clawing the air, her legs went limp, and she was held only in place by Voleur’s aura. A few more choked gurgles squeaked out of her black, bruised throat before Voleur let go and Isa slumped to the ground.

Alistair’s heart turned cold as he watched the elderly woman’s life drain away from her. “Voleur, I… we didn’t have to do that.”

The Lucario leapt across the table and deftly picked up the storyboard from where it hung. His red eyes locked into Alistair’s blue ones.

We came all the way across the world’s largest ocean for things we can sell, not stories we can listen to. I’m not leaving without something to at least pay for our trip.

Alistair didn’t feel like making a getaway; his heart hung heavy with guilt and disgust as he stepped around Isa’s unmoving body. He noticed Voleur taking other storyboards off the wall and packing them into a sack.

“What are you doing?”

She’s not going to need the rest of these, will she?

Reluctantly, Alistair helped Voleur pack the rest of the wooden art pieces. In a flash, the two were off, racing through a jungle of cycads and pandanus trees. Alistair was still unhappy about the way they dealt with Isa—and Voleur knew it.

Stop being so mopey, the Lucario said as he leapt over a fallen coconut palm. His eyes perpetually glowed as he used aura to move various branches and rocks out of his way. We’ve done this before. Remember that dojo master who wouldn’t give up his thousand-year-old family seal? You used magic to take his life!

“But,” Alistair panted as he clambered over a rotten trunk, “that man was capable. He could defend himself! This old woman was alone and defenseless. It doesn’t feel right.”

He couldn’t defend himself against your spells! He stood no chance, and you knew it. I don’t see how taking this woman’s life was any different.

“Still,” Alistair grumbled, glancing up as they passed a grove of banyan trees encircling a shrine to the Ayuyu goddess, “it was a different situation, I figure.”

Oddly enough, Voleur didn’t answer. The two jogged along in silence for a bit, until Alistair heard a loud WHACK! and several thuds.

Looking over, he saw Voleur lying face-up on the ground, his paws covering a welt on his long nose. The storyboards lay scattered around him.

“What’d you do that for? Use your aura to keep bending the plants and keep them out of your face!”

Alistair helped his companion up. Voleur took his paws off his swelling nose and glared wordlessly at the human.

“Got nothing to say for yourself, is that it?”

Voleur stamped a foot, glaring furiously at Alistair, but nothing else happened.

“What’s gotten into you? Not saying anything? Not even going to flare up your aura like you always do? Just going to stand there?”

Voleur angrily stamped his feet, shaking his paws. But his furious glare changed into a look of desperation—his red eyes shone with fear. He opened his mouth, but only grunts came out. Lucario mouths couldn’t articulate human speech.

Alistair’s heart sank as the reality dawned on him.

“Voleur, what… what happened to you?”

Voleur looked around desperately, performing graceful, dance-like motions that he often did when using his aura. Alistair knew he was trying to bend the leaves and branches of the trees, raise fallen trunks off the ground, spin coconuts and pandanus around in the air—

But nothing happened. The Lucario still looked very elegant as he danced and leapt, but no blue power shone from his paws. And nothing around him moved.

After a few seconds of uneventful dancing, Voleur let out a wordless, strangled-sounding roar. Alistair flinched—he had never heard Voleur physically scream before. The Lucario ran over to a fallen trunk and angrily kicked it, snapping it in half and sending the pieces flying through the air. He ran about in a frenzy, kicking and punching trees, lifting up and hurling rocks, tearing everything apart in a rampage.

Once he exhausted his rage, he stood, panting, looking at the wreckage of fallen trunks and ripped-up leaves around him. Alistair stood at a distance, watching the whole spectacle, out of reach of Voleur’s fury.

Voleur raised his eyes to meet Alistair’s. Tears fell down his cheeks.

His heart moved with pity, Alistair walked over to Voleur, packed the storyboards into the satchels, and hoisted them over his shoulders.

“Come on, my friend,” he said, putting an arm around Voleur. “Let’s get off this forsaken island. We’ll find a way to restore your aura.”

Alistair snapped back to the present as a crisp breeze blew through the hut. Crystals and glass shards dangling from bits of strings knocked into each other, sending high-pitched tinkles ringing through the air. Alistair frowned as he looked at the variety of crystals, chalks, spell books, and more that he had used in vain efforts to restore Voleur’s aura.

“I know it hasn’t been a success story so far,” Alistair said as he walked over to a small pile of spell books stacked on top of a cupboard. The top one, its midnight-black binding barely holding together, was illumined with several constellations stitched in gold. Alistair carefully lifted the cover and moved a number of dusty pages aside till he came to one covered with scrawled handwriting.

“But I have hopes that transferring aura will work! The Overhill’s are a lovely family; I’m sure Miss Victoria will be more than happy to help.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Would Miss Pippa like another cuppa tea?”

“Yes, please! She is quite the caffeine-addict. By far the worst in the family!”

Victoria Overhill sat in their little hut next to Alistair. Across from Victoria sat Voleur, a steaming cup of tea held between his paws. On Voleur’s other side, Pippa sat on the table, holding her cup out as Alistair filled it with black tea.

“Pip pip!” she exclaimed happily.

“Quite a little charmer, isn’t she?” Alistair mused. “You’ve got a little dear, there. Can you understand her well?”

“Oh, quite well. She is my best friend and goes everywhere with me! I can’t understand her speech, obviously, but she has many other ways to communicate.”

Victoria raised her eyes, her smile fading slightly as she saw Voleur staring at her expressionlessly.

“Voleur! Don’t you know it’s rude to stare?” Alistair scolded.

The Lucario immediately lowered his eyes, slowly sipping from his teacup.

“And, er… Are—are you two close, as well?”

“Voleur is my best mate. He’s been all around the world with me, through thick and thin. We used to spend our days conversing with each other!”

“Used to?” Victoria lowered her teacup curiously. “Why not anymore?”

“Have you met a Lucario before, Miss? Naturally, they’re capable of human speech. He and I spoke to each other all the time with that special ability—called ‘aura,’ commonly.”

Victoria listened attentively, and Alistair could tell her attention piqued at the mention of aura. Perhaps she was trying to conceal it, but he saw her back straighten slightly, her eyes widen a little, and her grip on her teacup tighten.

“And it wasn’t just talking to humans that he could do! He could sense the minds and feelings of all creatures around him, human and Pokemon, alike. He could bend other objects to his will and shoot energy balls from betwixt his paws. “

“But what happened?” Victoria asked softly. “Why not anymore? How did he lose it?”

“That, lass, we haven’t the foggiest. His aura was there one day and gone the next—he went silent in less than a minute. Aura is how Lucario communicate with each other—through speech, and also through feeling each other’s presences. A Lucario without aura is like a human without a soul, if you believe such things. Without his aura, his own kind won’t even accept him. Worse than mute, he is. And so, we’re doing everything to get it back.”

“That’s dreadful! And you’ve had no success so far?”

Alistair shook his head. “Nothing, but I have hope, still! We’re looking into the concept of ‘sharing’ aura—find someone who has the ability and see if their powers can be used to restore his.”

The four of them sat silently around the table for a moment, the stillness punctuated only by the sounds of Pippa slurping her drink. Voleur stared at the teacup between his paws, its contents having gone lukewarm. Alistair’s eyes went glassy as he became lost in thought. Victoria glanced apprehensively back-and-forth between Voleur and Alistair.

“Ah, this—this ‘aura,’ was it? That can detect the minds and feelings of people and Pokemon? How—how can you tell if someone has it?”

“Well, Miss, most people can only know if they’ve got a Lucario or Riolu to show them what it is and how to use it. Aura in humans is a very rare thing, it is. Some say that it used to be all humans who had aura, but as humans became corrupt, we gradually lost it, and it now resides within a few. But!” His eyes sparkled with a hungry light. “Voleur and I have also found a way to detect it in people. I’ve been studying crystals for years now, and whenever someone with aura holds a Time Sapphire, it’ll tell you!”

Victoria’s eyes lit up. “A Time Sapphire? Like the one you sold me?"

“Yes indeed, ma’am, but truth be told, I think the one you bought for your Mum was cut down too fine—still a beautiful gem, but lost the power to show visions of the past. I have real, uncorrupted Time Sapphires—with them, we’ve got a way to tell if people have aura!”

“If,” Victoria said quietly, “you found someone who thought they had aura, you could tell? And then try to restore Voleur’s aura with them?”

“Precisely!”

Victoria’s eyes dropped to her cup. “I… I think I may—I may be one of those people.”

Alistair and Voleur started in mock surprise. “And what makes you say that, Miss?”

“There’s something different about me—there always has been. I can—can feel others. I can sense energies coming from different people and things—sometimes things that aren’t even alive, like churches and cemeteries. When it’s dark, or my eyes are closed, I still know what my surroundings are like—even though I’m not seeing things, I know how everything looks! And with some people, I… I can hear their thoughts. Not yours! I don’t know what’s going on in your head,” she said with an awkward giggle. “I’m not invading your privacy! But with other people and Pokemon, I can tell what they’re thinking.”

Alistair and Voleur looked at each other—the excitement in Voleur’s eyes was genuine. Victoria’s description of aura was infallibly accurate.

“And,” she added, “if this is aura, I’d be happy to help Voleur regain his powers!”

“You will?” Alistair asked, eyes sparkling.

“Absolutely!”

Getting up, Alistair removed a large jewel—much larger than any he sold at the market—from a pouch hanging in the corner of the room. Its surface was like dusty glass; it did not shine or glimmer, and it looked as if it had been roughly handled and beaten.

Alistair placed the sapphire in Victoria’s pale hands. Victoria gasped—the moment the stone rested between her palms, a blue light shone from within the jewel, making it sparkle a pale azure, lighting up the wonder and awe in the eyes of the four who beheld it.

Once the light appeared, Alistair snatched the jewel from Victoria’s hands. If she held the Time Sapphire for too long, it would show an event that happened at that location in the past—and there was no need for her and Pippa to see what Alistair and Voleur had done to the previous inhabitant of the hut.

Victoria sat still on her chair, a euphoric smile lingering on her face. Putting the Time Sapphire back in its pouch, Alistair beamed at Victoria.

“Miss Victoria, you’re a gem, you are!” Alistair said with a laugh—and his laugh wasn’t fake. Voleur was going to be restored! “If you’d be willing to help us out, we’d be indebted to you for the rest of our lives! I’ll need a day or two to prepare the magic apparatus to share your power, but if you could come back then, we’d be most grateful.”

Victoria blinked a few times and snapped out of her euphoric state. She smiled at Alistair—but her elation changed to hesitation.

“Magic? Is that how we’re going to share my aura? Mr. Alistair, that stuff is forbidden!”

“Miss Victoria, I promise you, there is no risk involved whatsoever. I’ve been studying magic and spirits for years, and not once has harm come to Voleur or I for it. Peoples’ suspicion of magic is like their suspicion of aura: unfounded. They don’t like it because they don’t understand it, we don’ think that’s fair.”

Victoria nodded, still looking hesitant.

“Ah, can we meet at the same time for afternoon tea? There’s nothing suspicious at all about meeting you—it’s just my aura. You see, my family doesn’t know about it. Like you said, people don’t understand it, so I’ve been afraid to tell anyone. My family will be wondering why I’m taking off if it’s at a strange hour or strange location. But I can just tell them Pippa and I are meeting you two for afternoon tea again, and they will think nothing of it.”

“That sounds splendid, Miss. Shall we say two days from now? At four o’clock, tea time?”

“Yes, we’d be delighted!”

Voleur and Alistair saw Victoria out the door, Pippa drifting over her head and chattering excitedly. Once the lady and her companion vanished from sight, Alistair and Voleur looked at each other. Their faces broke out in smiles and they hugged each other fiercely. Laughter spilled out of Alistair and his heart beat with elation.

“It’s happening, Voleur! You’re going to get your aura back! You’re going to speak again, use your powers again—all will be well!”

The two relinquished each other and sat outside, looking dreamily at the monotonous grey sky.

“And you heard her talking about her aura? She doesn’t even use it! I’m sure she won’t be bothered in the slightest to have it taken from her. Might even be a relief, it might!”

Voleur lay back on the grey-green grass, his paws crossed behind his head, smiling blissfully. It seemed he couldn’t care less about how this affected Victoria.

“Well, I still care about Miss Victoria—she’s family, mind. But getting your aura back—that’ll be worth the world.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The next day was as grey as the previous—but there was something in the air, inside the pale sunlight, that held an unseen excitement. The once-dreary clouds blanketing the sky now seemed to glide with life. The windows to the little hut were removed, laying propped against the walls, and the table and chairs were all moved outside. Alistair and Voleur placed the majority of their bags and items outside to clear as much space on the floor as possible.

Slightly off-center from the middle of the floor, a wooden stand stood with the Time Sapphire fixed to it. A few strips of leather dangled from the sides of the gem. Four unlit torches surrounded the apparatus, forming a small circle about two meters in diameter. On the wall was a small holder in which sat a variety of black and white chalk sticks.

Voleur walked around outside the hut with a lively spring in his step. Alistair’s heart swelled; how many years had it been since he had seen Voleur look so happy, so hopeful? An excited smile was glued to the Lucario’s face, and he occasionally clapped his paws together.

Alistair smiled. Yes, Voleur would be able to use aura, but more importantly, he’d be happy. As much as Alistair looked forward to the adventures they would get back to with Voleur’s powers, he just wanted his friend to be joyful again.

Voleur constantly glanced over the hills. He’d tear his glance away, walk a few steps, then glance back once more. He clasped his paws behind his back, twirled in place, glanced back up at the hills. He repeated this several times in constant restlessness.

Alistair bounced on the balls of his feet, humming a soft tune. He glanced at his watch every other second. With clouds covering the sky, it was impossible to tell the time of day by position of the sun. Only the gradual growing and dimming of light that heralded sunrise and sunset gave any indication as to the passage of time.

Setting up the apparatus had not taken Alistair nearly as much time as he had thought. It was barely noon and he was already bored. Neither he nor Voleur could eat; they were both too anxious.

Alistair drummed his fingers on his legs. For the millionth time, he glanced at the book with instructions—there was no need to, of course. At this point, he had the guide memorized. But if there was just one more thing he could do to make time pass any more quickly, he’d go for it.

As he flipped the pages, he saw several depictions of various gods and goddesses looming over people and Pokemon like giants. Some of them had strings extending from their fingertips, attached to the mortals like puppets. Several pages showed a series of grotesque transformations, of attempts to shift from human to Pokemon and back; another page showed a Medicham tied down in the middle of a makeshift circle of wood, its terror-stricken gaze heavenward as its soul was wrenched from its body.

Alistair’s eyes glossed over the illuminations; they immediately enraptured him when he first acquired the book, but he had thoroughly read through every page so many times that he no longer could learn anything new from it all. Having practiced most of the spells in the book—or the ones that were accessible to a single mortal magician like him—he had seen firsthand the results of attempted transmogrifications and painful procedures like soul-switching.

He jerked his head up at the sound of excited clapping—Voleur jumped around in silent delight. Alistair’s heart leapt as he saw them: Miss Victoria Overhill and Miss Pippa making their way over the heathered hill!

Alistair leapt to his feet as the duo walked up to them, a smile plastered to his face. He always smiled whenever he saw people—largely out of habit when trying to sell something. But this time, the smile was genuine.

“Miss Victoria, fantastic to see you! And you too, Miss Pippa. Come, come inside.”

Alistair hardly noticed the reluctant smile Victoria gave him, or the hesitancy with which she slowly followed him and Voleur into their hut. Pippa clung to Victoria’s head, her leaves drooping as she looked uncertainly at the trio.

“Yes, come right this way, Miss, here’s the apparatus—we’ll get the two of you all set up.”

“Ah—Mist—Mister Alistair? I’m just—just not certain…”

Alistair and Voleur halted in their tracks and stared at Victoria and Pippa; Alistair with surprise, Voleur with distress. Victoria scrunched up the folds of her dress, nervously wringing the fabric in her delicate hands. She was turned pointedly away from Alistair and Voleur, refusing to make eye contact with either of them.

“What’s that, now? You don’t want to? Why? Do you think we’ll hurt you?”

“No! No, not at all. Jerome speaks very highly of you, Mister Alistair, he said you would never hurt someone. I just—I—I don’t know, is all.”

Alistair and Voleur looked at each other. Voleur’s mouth hung slightly open and his eyes were wide. His paws shook with anxiety—they were so close! They couldn’t just let the opportunity go away now—but they needed Victoria for this.

“Well, Miss Victoria,” Alistair said slowly, “we won’t do this if you don’t want to.”

“I—I just don’t know,” she said hastily. Finally, she looked up at Alistair—her dark blue eyes were full of fear and confusion. “I just feel uncertain.”

“Why do you feel uncertain?”

She turned away again, her eyes trained on her now shaking hands.

“I—I don’t know! I’m always uncertain.”

Alistair paused. She wasn’t eager to help out, but she wasn’t saying no, either. Perhaps, once they got things rolling, she’d feel more comfortable and go along more readily.

“We’ll get things started,” Alistair said slowly, “and, if you don’t like it, you can pull away.”

Victoria said nothing but stared silently as he took her pale hands and wrapped the leather thongs around them, tying her to the Time Sapphire. As before, a dim light shone in the gem as soon as she touched it.

Alistair did the same with Voleur, whose paws were readily on the luminescent stone. His vermillion eyes were wide with alacrity, and Alistair’s heart swooped with joy.

“Ready? Ah, Miss Pippa, you probably shouldn’t stay there—”

Alistair reached up and lifted Pippa off of her owner’s head. The Hoppip squealed in dismay, but if she was resisting Alistair at all, he couldn’t feel it. He set Pippa in a corner, where she watched the scene with apprehension, her gaze switching back-and-forth from Alistair and Victoria. Victoria did nothing but remained where she was, as if frozen in a block of ice. A few strands of blonde hair fell from her usually well-kept bun, which was messy today. Lines extended from her tear ducts, there were noticeable creases at the corners of her eyes, and bags hung beneath her eyelids.

Pulling out sticks of black and white chalk, Alistair traced a circle on the ground around the duo and Time Sapphire apparatus. He drew a variety of shapes and lines within the circle, humming cryptic words from a long-forgotten language. As he did so, the sky outside the hut dimmed, and the torches automatically flared up with a pale blue fire. As Alistair continued his drawings and his humming, the dim light in the Time Sapphire became brighter than the torches in the hut.

Soon, the humming no longer came just from Alistair, but from the multitude of disembodied spirits that leapt out of the torchlight. Shapeless beings swirled around Voleur and Victoria, humming discordant tunes, their voices growing ever louder, a cacophony echoing through the tiny hut.

They flew ever more quickly as the light of the sapphire glowed more brightly. Victoria’s dress billowed wildly; her bun ripped free as her long hair whipped about her face. Her head leaned back, and her eyes burned an intense shade of blue. Light poured from her eyes and mouth, only to quickly leech away and reappear in the Time Sapphire. The air tingled and sparked with energy as the spirits danced and raced around the duo, azure light beaming from Victoria and the Time Sapphire.

As Alistair saw the same blue light glow in Voleur’s eyes, dance in lines along his body, radiate from his core, he laughed with delight. His heart sang, his spirits soared—it was working!

Alistair!

“Voleur?”

The Lucario turned, and through the whirlwind of spirits and torchlight, his blazing blue eyes locked on his companion.

Alistair, this is it! I—I can sense you once more!

Alistair laughed in relief. Yes, it was true—and he could feel Voleur, too! The familiar sense of a presence touching his mind, his feelings—it was there.

With a final flourish, the spirits formed a column of fiery, white light and flew upwards, through the roof. They passed intangibly through the wooden ceiling, disappearing without a trace. The torches went out. Victoria stood still, lank locks of untied hair obscuring her face, hands still tied to the Time Sapphire. Voleur’s thongs had come undone, and he stood in place, staring at the blue energy radiating from his paws. He raised his eyes to Alistair’s.

“Voleur! I—I—” Alistair could hardly speak for laughing with joy. “How—how do you feel?”

Amazing.

The Lucario looked at his paws in awe, a blue energy still emanating from his eyes. He held his paws a few inches from each other and an aura sphere instantly appeared between them. He launched it—it flew through the open window and crashed into the tree outside, knocking several branches off and causing the tree to sway precariously.

This power—it feels better than it ever did before! I can finally do it all again—I can speak, I can use my aura—Alistair, I’m me again!

With a delighted laugh, Voleur leapt out of the chalk circle and embraced Alistair in a wide hug. The two laughed, their hearts dancing in union.

“Oh, Voleur, I’m so happy!”

The two pulled back, still smiling at each other. But their smiles quickly faded.

The blue light that had just been radiating from Voleur’s eyes and paws was gone. The Lucario stared silently at Alistair for a moment—then his smile turned to a look of frustration which quickly transformed into terror.

Voleur stepped back, looking at his paws. He placed them near each other, as before, to gather energy for an aura sphere—

Nothing.

He looked up at Alistair, breathing heavily. He waved his arms, performed elegant martial arts motions, closing his eyes to meditate—

And still, nothing happened.

With a choked cry, he ran back into the chalk circle and put his paws back on the Time Sapphire. Voleur looked up at Alistair, eyes shining in utter desperation.

Alistair hurried over, his heart racing with panic. He was about to tie Voleur’s paws to the sapphire when he noticed Victoria still standing there. Though her hands were still on the gem, it was cold and lifeless.

“Voleur, I…”

Alistair’s heart wrenched as he saw Voleur’s distress, his chest heaving as he breathed heavily.

“I’m sorry.”

Voleur scrunched his eyes shut, tears pouring down his cheeks as he let out a wordless scream. He kicked the apparatus—the wooden stand flew out from under the Time Sapphire and crashed into the wall. The sapphire fell to the ground, taking Victoria with it.

Voleur screamed and ran about, kicking aside the torches, tearing down hanging crystals and suncatchers, destroying every object in sight. Alistair watched him, his heart hanging heavily, fighting back tears that lingered just behind his eyes.

At least, when Voleur had torn down every remaining piece of magicware and décor, he sank to his knees, sobbing.

Strolling over to his companion, Alistair wrapped an arm around him. The two of them sat there, commiserating. Why the spells didn’t work, Alistair didn’t know—but he thought it unwise to voice those questions aloud at the moment. For the time being, the two took small comfort in each other’s company, leaning on each other for hope.

Alistair noticed movement out of the corner of his eye—he looked up and started when he saw Pippa fly over to Victoria. The woman was still on the ground, her hands tied to the Time Sapphire.

“Ah, Miss Victoria! Terribly sorry about that, I had all but forgotten you. Here, let’s get you back home, now.”

Alistair untied Victoria’s hands from the stone. She sat there, unmoving, her eyes staring blankly as the leather thongs fell from her hands. In spite of the dancing flames and spirits, she bore no marks from the ordeal. The only difference was the lifeless stare of her eyes, and her general unresponsiveness to Alistair’s instigations.

“Come on, Miss, I’ll walk you home. You too, Miss Pippa, come along, now.”

Alistair helped Victoria to her feet and walked together with her beneath the clouded, grey sky. For once, he didn’t feel like talking. He kept thinking back to the glorious moment of hearing Voleur’s speech again, of seeing his elated smile, the sparkle in his eyes as he used his aura—and the utter defeat at seeing it all disappear a moment later. Alistair’s heart lay in the pit of his stomach as guilt permeated him. He felt like a failure.

Just what went wrong? And why did Victoria’s aura disappear, too? The otherworldly spirits usually played by the rules of the book. Why did they suddenly stop?

Alistair walked Victoria and Pippa to the bridge over the slow Thelem river and bade her off. He had no desire to see his family, but he did want to ensure the two of them got home all right. More importantly, he wanted to give Voleur some time alone to process the day’s events.

As he walked back inside the hut, he saw Voleur sitting in the corner, his elbows resting on his knees. Voleur looked up at Alistair, the remnants of tear tracks on his cheeks, his eyes having long run dry.

Without a word, Alistair began packing up. He picked up the broken pieces of wood, the shattered glass, the magical items that Voleur had destroyed in his rage, and dumped them all into his various bags and pouches. There would be time to sort them later.

Before long, he heard the clutter of moving pieces as Voleur helped him, and the two had the hut cleaned up and their belongings packed in a trice.

Pulling his backpack on his shoulders and laying the rest of their bags on a cart, Alistair threw an arm around Voleur’s shoulder. Voleur responded in kind, and the two slowly made their way past the heathered hills, leaving the city behind.

“Have no fear, Voleur. We’ll find a way to get your aura back. And, aura or no aura, you’re still my best mate.”

Alistair was named after Alistar Crowley (not very original, I know, but I felt like it was fitting) since he's not only a magician but practicing the occult. "Voleur" comes from the French word for "stealing," not only because he enjoys stealing other peoples' property to make money, but because he's fine with stealing other peoples' powers and abilities for his own sake, as he tried to do with Victoria and her aura.

I based Isa and her culture off of Pacific island cultures; story boards in particular are made on the island of Palau in real life, and they're considered exquisite works of art that go for a lot of money. Taotao Mo'na are spirits from Chamorro culture, the people of the Mariana Islands, and they can be hostile who intrude on native land or disrupt nature. "Hagan" is Chamorro for "turtle" and "Ayuyu" (pronounced A-dzoo-dzoo) is Chamorro for "coconut crab." And mango festivals are a real thing on Pacific Islands, as are festivals for other foods like peppers!

In this story, aura is representative of innocence/purity. Voleur lost his aura not only because of the Taotao Mo'na taking it away and enacting justice on him, but because he had willingly corrupted his own heart and chose greed and power over valuing the lives of others, and defiled his own purity in that sense. Victoria was someone who possessed aura because she was innocent (truly believing in the goodwill of everyone around her, and believing that nobody would want to hurt her) and was pure (cared a lot for other people and wanted to genuinely help others, like restoring aura to Voleur). When she loses her aura at the end, she lost her innocence--Alistair pushed her into the ritual against her will and she was traumatized by it. Even though she didn't do anything wrong, her innocence was gone, and Voleur got nothing out of it.

This was based off of my experience of being sexually violated. The person who hurt me could tell I didn't want to do what he wanted me to (Alistair in the story seeing that Victoria was unwilling, saying "I won't do it if you don't want me to," and then doing it anyway). He got momentary enjoyment out of it; I was traumatized and was left in shock afterwards and, to this day, am still dealing with the aftereffects of what happened to me. "To Speak Again" was meant to show that, sometimes things happen and no good comes out of it: Victoria lost her aura, and Voleur didn't restore his. I was violated and hurt, and the guy who did it to me didn't get anything out of it. Part of why I wanted to include scenes from Victoria's POV so I could explore the resultant anxiety, betrayal, and depression that she had to deal with (but cut it out for contest limitation reasons).

Last edited:

Pen

the cat is mightier than the pen
Staff
Partners
  1. dratini
  2. dratini-pen
  3. dratini-pen2
Oh, this was fun! And deeply unquag.

The background setting was a lot of fun. Magicians! Gems! Curses! People sipping tea and saying 'twas! I thought the vibe was extremely clear.

Alistair is the scariest kind of villain--one who thinks he's a good guy. You know, he's friendly and approachable and a people person. And he'd do anything for a friend. I like how you show us how his default state is a pleasant one. He sets people at ease and enjoys their company. It's just, none of that stops him from doing what will get him what he wants, no matter who it hurts. I really appreciated how his breezy narration doesn't falter at all when he notices Victoria's comatose state. It's just, huh, weird, anyway, back to the important problem. Also, the scene where Alistair is pushing Victoria into doing the ritual when she obviously doesn't want to was rough. He correctly identifies both that she doesn't want to and that she won't be able to stand up to his social pressure, and you know, who needs affirmative consent. Weaponized social skills are a lot more disturbing than dark magic powers.

Voleur is just consistently the worst and I kind of loved how all we see of him is 1) murdering people 2) sulking 3) glaring 4) prolonged temper tantrum. But he's Alistair's best bro and honestly the way Alistair's narration takes all this objectively crappy companion behavior in stride and is all 'isn't Voleur great' sells their bond better than anything else could. It's just such a good example of caring for other people not being inherently redemptive.

The structure of the story is interesting to me. When you're writing a villain protagonist, the big event is often when and how karma gets them or fails to get them. You start us with karma having already caught up with Voleur, but that hasn't stopped Alistair from proceeding merrily with business as usual. I felt satisfied with where the ending left us. Alistair and Voleur don't grow, they don't change, they've destroyed another life--and that's kind of the point, isn't it?

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Another contest one-shot from you! You really leaned into the villain part of the theme here, with Alistair and Voleur having committed and shrugged off several murders, and I enjoyed their characterizations and the portrayal of their relationship here a lot. Voleur is absolutely despicable, murdering without a thought and justifying it with money, but also he's goofily excitable in a way that'd almost be cute if not for the unrepentant murder, and he's clearly in deep and genuine distress about his inability to use aura or speak to his friend; I particularly liked the line about being himself again. And Alistair has a little bit more of a conscience going on, feels kind of uncomfortable about the murder of the old woman, tells himself Victoria would be glad to be rid of her aura if anything... but all he really cares about is Voleur, and he'll ultimately shrug off whatever. The old woman? Trivial and forgotten once he realizes Voleur's lost his aura. Victoria being a soulless husk? Barely worth a passing mention as he's stewing in guilt over not that but the fact the spell didn't succeed in restoring Voleur. And he cares so, so much about Voleur - truly motivated primarily by just wanting to see him smile again. Again, it's almost sweet, until you remember all the murder.

I thought the foreshadowing you did was nice, too - the old woman talks about ancestral spirits in the trees and the specific way they deliver justice, punishing those who committed evil while still not recovering what was lost, which is then exactly what happens again at the end, with the spirits taking Voleur's aura away again as punishment for what they did to Victoria, but still not preventing her fate. I didn't predict that outcome, but because of that foreshadowing it really checks out that that's what happens and makes it more satisfying. (And of course, Alistair just does not understand what went wrong here, because he's incapable of even seeing what he did to Victoria as wrong.)

It felt a bit funny to me how Alistair notices Victoria still standing there with her hands on the sapphire, moves on to talking about other things, then a bit later it's mentioned the sapphire falls to the ground and Victoria with it, then we move on again for a while as Voleur destroys things and they hug each other for a while, and only then does Pippa go to check on Victoria, and only after that does Alistair notice that Victoria is totally unresponsive. I do get that you're going for him being pretty preoccupied with Voleur and not really caring what happens to Victoria, but why doesn't Pippa get concerned and go to her the moment the ritual is finished and it'd probably be obvious something is off, or at the absolute least when Victoria just falls over? Wouldn't it at least be fairly obvious something's off with Victoria during the couple times Alistair seems to specifically notice her and brings her up? Right now it feels to me like the narration is sort of leaving weird gaps - I can't help but think it'd make more sense and read more smoothly if either the narration made off-hand mention of her unresponsiveness and then just breezily moved on like it's unimportant, or (probably better) if it simply didn't mention Victoria at all while Alistair is completely preoccupied with Voleur, and he only then registered that Pippa has been trying to get a reaction out of Victoria with no success.

In general I would kind of have liked to see more out of Pippa here - doesn't she react in any kind of interesting way to her trainer being left like this at the end? I think there was good potential for her presence to drive in the tragedy a bit, but ultimately she's kind of extraneous to the story, just sort of following Victoria and that's it.

All in all, though, I think the story succeeds on the strength of Alistair and Voleur's characterization. They're so bereft of morality and yet so full of genuinely positive feelings: hope, excitement, healing, friendship. It's stark and unusual and that only kind of makes it more chilling.

Some line-by-lines:

Ah, that sapphire’s is a special one, it is! My mate, Voleur, and I to fight off three Spiritomb to get to it.
Think you're missing a word in the second sentence, and don't need the first "is" in the first one.

“You know what I’m going to say, don’t you?”

Voleur wordlessly nodded.

“But you couldn’t feel it, could you?”

Voleur’s gaze fell and his shoulders slumped. He shook his head.

“That girl has aura.”

Voleur perked up. Alistair’s eyes shone with a hopeful light, a smile growing on his face.
I was a little confused by this exchange. First Alistair assumes Voleur knows what he's going to say, suggesting that Alistair expects Voleur already noticed Victoria had aura, and Voleur seemingly agrees. But then we learn Voleur can't feel it, and Alistair figures he couldn't. Which, okay, maybe Voleur would still have just figured that was it from the way Alistair reacted to her, or something... but then, when Alistair says, "That girl has aura," Voleur "perks up", as if this is new information? Which makes it sound like he didn't know what he was going to say after all (but if that was the case, then what was it he thought Alistair was going to say when he agreed that he knew?).

“Lucario are supposed to be most gallant creatures, and yet you’re spending your life swindling and trying to make cheap profits?”
I was surprised here that she references swindling - all she's seen in this conversation up to this point is that they're cheapskates, right? Or does she know them more personally beforehand? The scene setup felt like they just kind of encountered this artisan on this beach and then tried to haggle for her art.

“But I have hopes that transferring aura will work! The Overhill’s are a lovely family; I’m sure Miss Victoria will be more than happy to help.”
"Overhills" wouldn't have an apostrophe, I believe, since it's just a regular plural.

“Miss Victoria, I promise you, there is no risk involved whatsoever. I’ve been studying magic and spirits for years, and not once has harm come to Voleur or I for it. Peoples’ suspicion of magic is like their suspicion of aura: unfounded. They don’t like it because they don’t understand it, we don’ think that’s fair.”
Should be "People's" and "don't".

Alistair leapt to his feet as the duo walked up to them, a smile plastered to his face. He always smiled whenever he saw people—largely out of habit when trying to sell something. But this time, the smile was genuine.
I enjoy this bit about him smiling when he sees people out of habit. Very salesman.

“No! No, not at all. Jerome speaks very highly of you, Mister Alistair, he said you would never hurt someone. I just—I—I don’t know, is all.”
It raises some interesting questions if Jerome speaks highly of him. Is he completely unaware of what Alistair does with his time, or in cahoots with him?

He set Pippa in a corner, where she watched the scene with apprehension, her gaze switching back-and-forth from Alistair and Victoria.
Surely you'd say her gaze switched between them?

Soon, the humming no longer came just from Alistair, but from the multitude of disembodied spirits that leapt out of the torchlight. Shapeless beings swirled around Voleur and Victoria, humming discordant tunes, their voices growing ever louder, a cacophony echoing through the tiny hut.
I felt like this paragraph could have been stronger - surely the actual first appearance of a disembodied spirit from the torchlight would be a pretty dramatic moment, but here it's sort of skipped over to say soon the humming was coming from a bunch of disembodied spirits as well, as if the appearance of the spirits itself was entirely uninteresting!

Voleur’s thongs had come undone
I know the word 'thongs' just means pieces of string here, but it was hard not to get a pretty odd mental image for a moment there :unquag:

At least, when Voleur had torn down every remaining piece of magicware and décor, he sank to his knees, sobbing.
I think you want "At last".

Starlight Aurate

Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Hi! I'm a bit late to replying to these, but thank you both SO MUCH for leaving these wonderful reviews!

Oh, this was fun! And deeply unquag.

The background setting was a lot of fun. Magicians! Gems! Curses! People sipping tea and saying 'twas! I thought the vibe was extremely clear.
Did the unquag start from the beginning, or develop throughout? :P But thank you! I'm glad that the atmosphere got across.
Alistair is the scariest kind of villain--one who thinks he's a good guy. You know, he's friendly and approachable and a people person. And he'd do anything for a friend. I like how you show us how his default state is a pleasant one. He sets people at ease and enjoys their company. It's just, none of that stops him from doing what will get him what he wants, no matter who it hurts. I really appreciated how his breezy narration doesn't falter at all when he notices Victoria's comatose state. It's just, huh, weird, anyway, back to the important problem. Also, the scene where Alistair is pushing Victoria into doing the ritual when she obviously doesn't want to was rough. He correctly identifies both that she doesn't want to and that she won't be able to stand up to his social pressure, and you know, who needs affirmative consent. Weaponized social skills are a lot more disturbing than dark magic powers.
Alistair was also one of the judges' favorite parts about this, and I'm glad you like him, too! Or, at least, I'm glad it came across well. He as inspired by archetypes, but also by something that happened in real life.
Voleur is just consistently the worst and I kind of loved how all we see of him is 1) murdering people 2) sulking 3) glaring 4) prolonged temper tantrum. But he's Alistair's best bro and honestly the way Alistair's narration takes all this objectively crappy companion behavior in stride and is all 'isn't Voleur great' sells their bond better than anything else could. It's just such a good example of caring for other people not being inherently redemptive.
Thanks! Lucario always seem to be presented as inherently good on the grounds that they're a Lucario and they can use aura, and so I wanted to have one be a villain through-and-through (but a villain who is loved!) and thought it would be interesting to see how a Lucario would fare if they couldn't use aura and were brought down to "normal" like humans and other Pokemon (though, now that I think of it, Alistair isn't exactly a normal human, since he uses magic).
The structure of the story is interesting to me. When you're writing a villain protagonist, the big event is often when and how karma gets them or fails to get them. You start us with karma having already caught up with Voleur, but that hasn't stopped Alistair from proceeding merrily with business as usual. I felt satisfied with where the ending left us. Alistair and Voleur don't grow, they don't change, they've destroyed another life--and that's kind of the point, isn't it?
This is pretty much what I was going for, and partly because I feel it's the most realistic. I actually realize I've taken your feedback so much to the point that I had it in mind when I was writing for the Mischief and Malice contest, nevermind the fact that you weren't a judge! I'm glad you liked it and felt satisfied with it. Thanks again for dropping such a lovely review!

Another contest one-shot from you! You really leaned into the villain part of the theme here, with Alistair and Voleur having committed and shrugged off several murders, and I enjoyed their characterizations and the portrayal of their relationship here a lot. Voleur is absolutely despicable, murdering without a thought and justifying it with money, but also he's goofily excitable in a way that'd almost be cute if not for the unrepentant murder, and he's clearly in deep and genuine distress about his inability to use aura or speak to his friend; I particularly liked the line about being himself again. And Alistair has a little bit more of a conscience going on, feels kind of uncomfortable about the murder of the old woman, tells himself Victoria would be glad to be rid of her aura if anything... but all he really cares about is Voleur, and he'll ultimately shrug off whatever. The old woman? Trivial and forgotten once he realizes Voleur's lost his aura. Victoria being a soulless husk? Barely worth a passing mention as he's stewing in guilt over not that but the fact the spell didn't succeed in restoring Voleur. And he cares so, so much about Voleur - truly motivated primarily by just wanting to see him smile again. Again, it's almost sweet, until you remember all the murder.
Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm glad the villain part was very clear and that they have their own struggles, too. They were a lot of fun to write!

Side note: Victoria losing her aura was actually my main idea for the story and the motivation for writing it. I originally wanted to include more scenes that go more in-depth with her and Pippa and show things from their point of view, but didn't include them because the contest was meant to be entirely from villain perspectives.
I thought the foreshadowing you did was nice, too - the old woman talks about ancestral spirits in the trees and the specific way they deliver justice, punishing those who committed evil while still not recovering what was lost, which is then exactly what happens again at the end, with the spirits taking Voleur's aura away again as punishment for what they did to Victoria, but still not preventing her fate. I didn't predict that outcome, but because of that foreshadowing it really checks out that that's what happens and makes it more satisfying. (And of course, Alistair just does not understand what went wrong here, because he's incapable of even seeing what he did to Victoria as wrong.)
Exactly! I feel so happy that you caught on to all of this! Especially the fact that Alistair and Voleur don't see themselves as having done anything wrong--for what villain truly considers themselves to be evil? Apart from some versions of Team Rocket lol
It felt a bit funny to me how Alistair notices Victoria still standing there with her hands on the sapphire, moves on to talking about other things, then a bit later it's mentioned the sapphire falls to the ground and Victoria with it, then we move on again for a while as Voleur destroys things and they hug each other for a while, and only then does Pippa go to check on Victoria, and only after that does Alistair notice that Victoria is totally unresponsive. I do get that you're going for him being pretty preoccupied with Voleur and not really caring what happens to Victoria, but why doesn't Pippa get concerned and go to her the moment the ritual is finished and it'd probably be obvious something is off, or at the absolute least when Victoria just falls over? Wouldn't it at least be fairly obvious something's off with Victoria during the couple times Alistair seems to specifically notice her and brings her up? Right now it feels to me like the narration is sort of leaving weird gaps - I can't help but think it'd make more sense and read more smoothly if either the narration made off-hand mention of her unresponsiveness and then just breezily moved on like it's unimportant, or (probably better) if it simply didn't mention Victoria at all while Alistair is completely preoccupied with Voleur, and he only then registered that Pippa has been trying to get a reaction out of Victoria with no success.
I see what you're saying. I didn't have Pippa go to Victoria straight away because Voleur was throwing a tantrum and flinging objects around the house; Pippa was hiding in a corner to try and avoid getting hit or outright attacked by him, and it was only after Voleur calmed down that she mustered up the courage to go to Victoria. I do think you're right in that I could have made less of a mention about Alistair noticing Victoria's unresponsiveness, though.
In general I would kind of have liked to see more out of Pippa here - doesn't she react in any kind of interesting way to her trainer being left like this at the end? I think there was good potential for her presence to drive in the tragedy a bit, but ultimately she's kind of extraneous to the story, just sort of following Victoria and that's it.
Totally fair! I had wanted to include more of Pippa as well, but since I wasn't including anything from Victoria's POV and ran out of time to enter this for the contest, she got shuffled to the sidelines, unfortunately.
All in all, though, I think the story succeeds on the strength of Alistair and Voleur's characterization. They're so bereft of morality and yet so full of genuinely positive feelings: hope, excitement, healing, friendship. It's stark and unusual and that only kind of makes it more chilling.
Thanks again for dropping by! And I looked at all of your line quotes and have taken them into account. I really appreciate you taking the time to read and review this!
I was a little confused by this exchange. First Alistair assumes Voleur knows what he's going to say, suggesting that Alistair expects Voleur already noticed Victoria had aura, and Voleur seemingly agrees. But then we learn Voleur can't feel it, and Alistair figures he couldn't. Which, okay, maybe Voleur would still have just figured that was it from the way Alistair reacted to her, or something... but then, when Alistair says, "That girl has aura," Voleur "perks up", as if this is new information? Which makes it sound like he didn't know what he was going to say after all (but if that was the case, then what was it he thought Alistair was going to say when he agreed that he knew?).
Ah, fair! I should fix that. I was thinking of having Voleur just get so excited at the mention of aura that he perked up, even if he knew it was coming.
I was surprised here that she references swindling - all she's seen in this conversation up to this point is that they're cheapskates, right? Or does she know them more personally beforehand? The scene setup felt like they just kind of encountered this artisan on this beach and then tried to haggle for her art.
It was meant to be more of an accusation from her without really knowing them, though it turns out she's correct.
It raises some interesting questions if Jerome speaks highly of him. Is he completely unaware of what Alistair does with his time, or in cahoots with him?
Raising questions that don't get answered is part of what I was going for (though I usually hate it when authors do it XP). Jerome doesn't know anything about what Alistair does, and is against magic much like Victoria is. But thinking he might be working with Alistair does raise a lot of questions about Victoria's family themselves!
I felt like this paragraph could have been stronger - surely the actual first appearance of a disembodied spirit from the torchlight would be a pretty dramatic moment, but here it's sort of skipped over to say soon the humming was coming from a bunch of disembodied spirits as well, as if the appearance of the spirits itself was entirely uninteresting!
Good point!
I know the word 'thongs' just means pieces of string here, but it was hard not to get a pretty odd mental image for a moment there :unquag:
Ewwwww hahaha

Thanks again to all who have read this! I actually want to include a bit more background on this story, but want readers to only see it after they've read the one-shot. I'll put it here and tack it on to the end of the first post.

Alistair was named after Alistar Crowley (not very original, I know, but I felt like it was fitting) since he's not only a magician but practicing the occult. "Voleur" comes from the French word for "stealing," not only because he enjoys stealing other peoples' property to make money, but because he's fine with stealing other peoples' powers and abilities for his own sake, as he tried to do with Victoria and her aura.

I based Isa and her culture off of Pacific island cultures; story boards in particular are made on the island of Palau in real life, and they're considered exquisite works of art that go for a lot of money. Taotao Mo'na are spirits from Chamorro culture, the people of the Mariana Islands, and they can be hostile who intrude on native land or disrupt nature. "Hagan" is Chamorro for "turtle" and "Ayuyu" (pronounced A-dzoo-dzoo) is Chamorro for "coconut crab." And mango festivals are a real thing on Pacific Islands, as are festivals for other foods like peppers!

In this story, aura is representative of innocence/purity. Voleur lost his aura not only because of the Taotao Mo'na taking it away and enacting justice on him, but because he had willingly corrupted his own heart and chose greed and power over valuing the lives of others, and defiled his own purity in that sense. Victoria was someone who possessed aura because she was innocent (truly believing in the goodwill of everyone around her, and believing that nobody would want to hurt her) and was pure (cared a lot for other people and wanted to genuinely help others, like restoring aura to Voleur). When she loses her aura at the end, she lost her innocence--Alistair pushed her into the ritual against her will and she was traumatized by it. Even though she didn't do anything wrong, her innocence was gone, and Voleur got nothing out of it.

This was based off of my experience of being sexually violated. The person who hurt me could tell I didn't want to do what he wanted me to (Alistair in the story seeing that Victoria was unwilling, saying "I won't do it if you don't want me to," and then doing it anyway). He got momentary enjoyment out of it; I was traumatized and was left in shock afterwards and, to this day, am still dealing with the aftereffects of what happened to me. "To Speak Again" was meant to show that, sometimes things happen and no good comes out of it: Victoria lost her aura, and Voleur didn't restore his. I was violated and hurt, and the guy who did it to me didn't get anything out of it. Part of why I wanted to include scenes from Victoria's POV so I could explore the resultant anxiety, betrayal, and depression that she had to deal with (but cut it out for contest limitation reasons).

Pen

the cat is mightier than the pen
Staff
Partners
  1. dratini
  2. dratini-pen
  3. dratini-pen2
Did the unquag start from the beginning, or develop throughout? :P But thank you! I'm glad that the atmosphere got across.
I initially thought the story was going more 'lovable rogue' with Alistair, but I was disabused of that notion pretty quickly.

Lucario always seem to be presented as inherently good on the grounds that they're a Lucario and they can use aura, and so I wanted to have one be a villain through-and-through (but a villain who is loved!) and thought it would be interesting to see how a Lucario would fare if they couldn't use aura and were brought down to "normal" like humans and other Pokemon (though, now that I think of it, Alistair isn't exactly a normal human, since he uses magic).
It makes a lot of sense that a pokemon with a power that makes it 'better' than other pokemon--actually able to communicate with humans!--would be deeply resentful when that power is taken away.

I actually realize I've taken your feedback so much to the point that I had it in mind when I was writing for the Mischief and Malice contest, nevermind the fact that you weren't a judge!
Oh, what feedback would that be? But glad it was useful, whatever it was!

Alistair was named after Alistar Crowley (not very original, I know, but I felt like it was fitting) since he's not only a magician but practicing the occult.
Hah, I did catch that. I don't know if you've read Good Omens (comedy about the end of the world) but it has left me primed for Crowley references.

And mango festivals are a real thing on Pacific Islands, as are festivals for other foods like peppers!
Such a cool tid-bit; thank you for sharing!

I'm not sure I totally follow that as a metaphor. It seems to blend an inherent quality (all Lucario have aura) with a kind of merit-based quality (Victoria has aura because of her character). I find it hard to believe that Voleur was innocent and pure up until the moment he killed the old woman; that act seemed part of a trend, rather than a sudden deviation. I understood aura as representing what allowed them to move through the world with confidence, Voleur in being able to speak and be understood and Victoria in trusting that everyone she met meant well--they both lose those things.

Thank you for sharing, Starlight. I hope writing has been helpful for you in processing what happened.

I definitely noticed the theme of consent in the story; the moment when Alistair understood that Victoria wanted to stop and went ahead anyway was the most chilling moment of the story for me. I think you did a great job capturing the hollowness of Alistair and the pointlessness of his cruelty, as well as the disparity in the consequences of it.

For this particular story, I think not having Victoria's POV worked for me as a technical writing choice--the contrast between the description of the impact the ritual had on her with how little attention Alistair is paying to it emphasized the impact, but I could see a short scene at the end that finally brings us into Victoria's POV being powerful, or a separate fic that explores the aftermath. One thing I'm not sure I mentioned in my review was the way you kept emphasizing that Alistair is a friend of the family. That made me fear that Victoria is going to have difficulty telling her family what happened, because it's Alistair, and Alistair's a bit of a scoundrel, but he'd never cross any lines . . .

Starlight Aurate

Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
I initially thought the story was going more 'lovable rogue' with Alistair, but I was disabused of that notion pretty quickly.
I admittedly do like loveable rogues and kinda started with that :p But I don't think anyone apart from Voleur would find him "loveable" XD
Oh, what feedback would that be? But glad it was useful, whatever it was!
*Checks the Myths and Legends contest results*
Nevermind, I got you mixed up with WildBoots and Dragonfree *facepalm* But I do generally find your feedback to me useful! :quag:
Hah, I did catch that. I don't know if you've read Good Omens (comedy about the end of the world) but it has left me primed for Crowley references.
I haven't! Maybe I'll give it a look when I'm done with The Once and Future King.
I'm not sure I totally follow that as a metaphor. It seems to blend an inherent quality (all Lucario have aura) with a kind of merit-based quality (Victoria has aura because of her character). I find it hard to believe that Voleur was innocent and pure up until the moment he killed the old woman; that act seemed part of a trend, rather than a sudden deviation. I understood aura as representing what allowed them to move through the world with confidence, Voleur in being able to speak and be understood and Victoria in trusting that everyone she met meant well--they both lose those things.
That's fair, and I realize that the metaphor only goes so far--I also ran into the same issues that you pointed out when I was thinking it through. I actually started typing out my reasoning just now, and ran into the same problems I was trying to solve XD The aura certainly is meant to be more than just aura, though--for Victoria, it's meant to show a permanent change and loss of innocence, and for Voleur, his refusal and inability to recognize wrongdoing or value the lives of those around him will prevent him from ever recovering it. So it's not consistent and it's not the same for each of them, and I recognize that as a flaw in my storytelling here.
Thank you for sharing, Starlight. I hope writing has been helpful for you in processing what happened.
Thanks--and I'll see. I've been thinking of writing some fic that would delve a little more into it (not necessarily my experience) but I certainly want to do more research before attempting that.
I definitely noticed the theme of consent in the story; the moment when Alistair understood that Victoria wanted to stop and went ahead anyway was the most chilling moment of the story for me. I think you did a great job capturing the hollowness of Alistair and the pointlessness of his cruelty, as well as the disparity in the consequences of it.
"Write what you know" is something I typically use in my works, and this moment as well as the stuff about Pacific Islands all came from my experience of living them out. Glad to hear they worked in writing!
For this particular story, I think not having Victoria's POV worked for me as a technical writing choice--the contrast between the description of the impact the ritual had on her with how little attention Alistair is paying to it emphasized the impact, but I could see a short scene at the end that finally brings us into Victoria's POV being powerful, or a separate fic that explores the aftermath.
I'm considering writing a second chapter to make this a two-shot to go into Victoria's experience with it, but I haven't thought very far as to what all it would include.
One thing I'm not sure I mentioned in my review was the way you kept emphasizing that Alistair is a friend of the family. That made me fear that Victoria is going to have difficulty telling her family what happened, because it's Alistair, and Alistair's a bit of a scoundrel, but he'd never cross any lines . . .
Yep. Unfortunately, this stuff happens most commonly with people who are close to or related to each other. And in my case, it was my best friend's brother--not the exact same as my own family, but it still had ties that hurt.

• Heart
Reactions: Pen

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Hey, Starlight! It was great to have Catnip as an excuse to check this story out. I'm definitely way behind where I'd like to be in terms of catching up on contest entries, heh.

And I really enjoy the sort of villain you decided to look at here for your "villainous" fic! Or rather villains--and I think Voleur and Alistair make for a very interesting pair. Voleur seems like he's really the mastermind of the two, the one who's ready to just straight-up murder whoever if it's easier or more convenient for him. I enjoyed the twist here, where it's the noble lucario who's probably the most rotten in the story--and no doubt he trades in his species' reputation if it will help him to get what he wants, not to mention take advantage of the fact that it makes people more inclined to trust him. But Alistair is probably the more interesting character, and I think it was a good choice to make him the POV. He's not as explicitly "bad" as Voleur; he feels some genuine remorse at the damage the two of them have done, and he thinks Voleur goes too far at times. But ultimately he cares way more about Voleur than anyone else, and he isn't so disturbed that he's actually going to try and stop Voleur from doing whatever he feels like. His complete disregard of Victoria after the failed aura transfer was particularly chilling, and I think you did a good job of getting across his obliviousness here; his attention is completely on Voleur until Pippa goes to check on her, and even then she's clearly an afterthought. You could imagine a scenario where Alistair, if not a great guy, is at least not actively awful--if he maybe devoted himself to somebody who wasn't a literal murderer, say. But even then it's clear that he has one mundane, all-too-common flaw, in that he really only cares about other people up until the point that it becomes inconvenient to him, and he's willing to turn a blind eye to complete atrocities if it helps him and his friend. It's a depressingly realistic, grounded portrayal of a villain, and not one you commonly see in pokefic: someone who's just not that concerned with the consequences if it makes life easier for him.

It's not something I would expect to be addressed in the story, but I am mighty curious how Voleur and Alistair met. I get the feeling there might be quite the story there.

The theme of evil being done and no one benefitting from it that runs throughout this story is really interesting to me. This isn't a "villain wins" story--Voleur and Alistair don't end up getting what they want, although where we're left with them it looks as though they're at least likely to end off no worse off than they were. Meanwhile, Victoria's left at best traumatized, and who knows what else she might end up suffering as a result of having lost her aura. People do evil things, other people get hurt, and in the end no one benefits--the injured parties are cast aside and the aggressors move on to another target, with no indication that they're ever going to stop, even if continuing only ends up bringing them more pain (e.g. Voleur's loss of aura). It's a pretty bleak situation; in some ways I think this story is a lot darker than what might be considered a more "conventional" villain tale, where the villain commits way more evil/damaging acts but is opposed by forces of good in equal measure. There's no one coming to Victoria's rescue here, and there's a feeling of hopelessness, like no one can ultimately do anything to stop Alistair and Voleur from doing this to more people. In the end no one is enriched, not even Voleur, and yet there's every indication that the cycle will continue. It's a heartbreakingly realistic scenario, without a lot of the usual narrative catharsis. One hopes that Victoria at least will be able to heal from her trauma, and who knows? Perhaps karma will eventually catch up with Voleur and Alistair in a way that stops them from hurting more people. But the story itself leaves us with no particular closure on these matters. The narrator, after all, is Alistair, and Alistair has no interest in what might happen to Victoria beyond this point.

I also quite enjoyed the atmosphere of this story. You do a good job of capturing that half-fantastical historical setting, where the guys wear top hats and everyone drinks tea while the world's permeated by magic and malevolent spirits. It's a take we don't see as often in pokefic, I think, which tends towards a more techno-futurist sort of setting, but it feels like it matches pretty well to the setting we see in the "past" portion of the lucario movie, which is appropriate given Voleur's species.

All in all I think this is a really solid one-shot! Definitely a great choice for last year's contest. I know this one came from a very personal place, and I think that really came through in your portrayal of the characters and the tightness of the theme. I hope you found some catharsis in writing this. It was a good read.

Ah, that sapphire’s is a special one, it is! My mate, Voleur, and I to fight off three Spiritomb to get to it.
In the first sentence you want "sapphire's a special one" or "sapphire is a special one"; in the second sentence, it looks like you're missing a word after "I."

A young woman whose dark blonde hair was pulled back into a tight bun looked curiously at a small gem in question.
If she's looking at the sapphire, it'd be the small gem in question; if she's not, it'd just be "at a small gem" without the "in question."

The man who had argued over the earlier price exploded.
Having this as its own line rather than a speech tag makes it sound like the guy literally exploded, I think.

Wood from an ifit tree was elegantly carved in the shape of Wailord.
"A" Wailord?

Clawing the air, her legs went limp, and she was held only in place by Voleur’s aura.
I think this would read more smoothly if it was "she was held in place only by Voleur's aura." There's also a misplaced modifier at the beginning--Isa's legs are clawing the air, which is weird for them to be doing while simultaneously going limp. Something like, "She clawed the air, but soon her legs went limp, and..." would make the timing and subject more clear.

Crystals and glass shards dangling from bits of strings knocked into each other
*bits of string

The Overhill’s are a lovely family
*Overhills

Victoria listened attentively, and Alistair could tell her attention piqued at the mention of aura.
The more common phrasing would be "her attention was piqued by the mention of aura."

The once-dreary clouds blanketing the sky now seemed to glide with life.
Hmm, "glide" strikes me as an odd verb here.

The windows to the little hut were removed, laying propped against the walls,
*lying

His vermillion eyes were wide with alacrity,
I don't think you want "alacrity" here, though I'm not sure what word you might have been reaching for.

Light poured from her eyes and mouth, only to quickly leech away and reappear in the Time Sapphire.
*leach

At least, when Voleur had torn down every remaining piece of magicware and décor,
*at last

Strolling over to his companion, Alistair wrapped an arm around him.
"Strolling" sounds a bit too casual to me, given the situation.

Before long, he heard the clutter of moving pieces as Voleur helped him,
I think you want "clatter" here.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Well, this was a very unique story, with such vibrant characters! Once again, you are a master of Vibes and Atmosphere.

“Want to charm that pretty lass down the street? Or make a statement at the latest social? Come and take a gander at these crystals!”
Oh man, right away I can hear his voice, like one of those old-timey American radio personalities. I love how vividly his character comes across through his dialogue!

“What kind of a business ye got goin’ on here? Cuttin’ deals for family an’ friends? That their gem is worth loads more, yet yer givin’ it to her for a fraction of the price!”

“That, my friend,” Alistair said, his pale face creased into a dark smile, “is the beauty of owning your own business! My place, my rules. You want that jewel, you pay 250. Or you leave.”
Well, something tells me that selling gems is only part of what they do. :unquag:

“She has aura, Voleur! I activated a spell to detect it in other people, and I sensed it in her when I handed her the sapphire. We can do this, we can transfer it, we can get your power back!
Ohhhh how interesting! So we’ve got a motivation—seems innocent enough, but given the theme of the contest this was written for, I’m sure there’s lots more coming.

Ah, I see your concern, but don’t you worry about me! Family is family. She may be an Overhill, but they’re my family, too, and nothing will cut family ties. And even if they never wanted to speak to me again—why, getting your aura back is everything!”
Lol this is such a classic manipulation tactic. “Don’t worry, [thing] will NEVER happen. And if it does, it doesn’t matter!”

“My companion’s got a fair point, ma’am,” Alistair said, leaning against the table on which Isa was weaving her palm leaves. “As much as we respect your trade, we’ve got to fill our bellies, too, and we aren’t making a profit if you’re gutting us out with such high prices. We’ll give you 150 quid for your carving.”

“Leave.”
Hah. Pot calling the kettle black, aren’t we? Funny how he can so easily rip people off but can’t handle being on the receiving end.

Isa looked up and saw Voleur’s eyes shining a brilliant blue. She gasped.

You shouldn’t have messed with us, woman, his voice rang. When we give you our price, you accept, like everyone else does.

Voleur raised a paw, pointing it at Isa. He remained sitting where he was, at least a meter away from the elder. But Alistair saw indents appear on Isa’s neck where Voleur’s aura pressed in, tightening her airway. Her dark eyes bulged, red lines appearing as blood vessels burst. She gurgled wordlessly, foaming at the mouth. Clawing the air, her legs went limp, and she was held only in place by Voleur’s aura. A few more choked gurgles squeaked out of her black, bruised throat before Voleur let go and Isa slumped to the ground.
I, uh. Wow. Oh boy. I was not expecting things to escalate so quickly and violently. Voleur really was quick to kill here, and that’s pretty horrifying!

Reluctantly, Alistair helped Voleur pack the rest of the wooden art pieces. In a flash, the two were off, racing through a jungle of cycads and pandanus trees. Alistair was still unhappy about the way they dealt with Isa—and Voleur knew it.

Stop being so mopey, the Lucario said as he leapt over a fallen coconut palm. His eyes perpetually glowed as he used aura to move various branches and rocks out of his way. We’ve done this before. Remember that dojo master who wouldn’t give up his thousand-year-old family seal? You used magic to take his life!
Hah, yeah, of course they’ve killed before. Alistair’s reaction seemed to be one of distaste rather than, y’know, abject horror like a normal person should feel. These two are both insane.

After a few seconds of uneventful dancing, Voleur let out a wordless, strangled-sounding roar. Alistair flinched—he had never heard Voleur physically scream before.
Welp. She did warn you, sir. I found it noteworthy that Alistair just let him rampage and specifically made sure to stay out of range. This indicates that 1) Voleur’s tantrums are not new, and 2) Voleur can and will hurt people he cares about when he throws them, as if he doesn’t care about anybody’s well-being but his. The detached sort of way Alistair stands by and watches is just so…practiced. Like this is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

“That’s dreadful! And you’ve had no success so far?”

Alistair shook his head. “Nothing, but I have hope, still! We’re looking into the concept of ‘sharing’ aura—find someone who has the ability and see if their powers can be used to restore his.”
Well, I’m pleasantly surprised they’re being up front about it. I fully expected them to trick her into it somehow.

“There’s something different about me—there always has been. I can—can feel others. I can sense energies coming from different people and things—sometimes things that aren’t even alive, like churches and cemeteries. When it’s dark, or my eyes are closed, I still know what my surroundings are like—even though I’m not seeing things, I know how everything looks! And with some people, I… I can hear their thoughts. Not yours! I don’t know what’s going on in your head,” she said with an awkward giggle. “I’m not invading your privacy! But with other people and Pokemon, I can tell what they’re thinking.”
Oooh I love this! Aura powers in canon are so dang vague, so it’s a delight to see what different writers do with it. This is very cool, though in a time where aura and magic is frowned upon, I’m sure it’s unsettling for her as well.

Once the light appeared, Alistair snatched the jewel from Victoria’s hands. If she held the Time Sapphire for too long, it would show an event that happened at that location in the past—and there was no need for her and Pippa to see what Alistair and Voleur had done to the previous inhabitant of the hut.
Uh, excuse me? What did you do to the previous guy? You kill him too?

I’ve been studying magic and spirits for years, and not once has harm come to Voleur or I for it.
Really, now. Not once? You don’t say?

Voleur lay back on the grey-green grass, his paws crossed behind his head, smiling blissfully. It seemed he couldn’t care less about how this affected Victoria.
Yeah, of course he doesn’t.

It’s actually quite refreshing to see the Pokémon be the one that’s more callous, cold, and selfish—time and time again, we see humans take that role in a human-Pokémon partnership, so it’s fun to see it reversed a bit. Alistair has such a detached way of seeing things, too—he knows Voleur is messed up in the head and doesn’t care about other people, and yet, this doesn’t seem to bother him, despite the face that he cares about other people at least somewhat more. Perhaps it’s a coping mechanism—he doesn’t want to see Voleur for who he really is, because they’re best friends and they have a sort of codependency going on. So he just pretends like this is normal and fine.

Alistair smiled. Yes, Voleur would be able to use aura, but more importantly, he’d be happy. As much as Alistair looked forward to the adventures they would get back to with Voleur’s powers, he just wanted his friend to be joyful again.
Aw man. He really does care about him—but is the feeling mutual? Something tells me Voleur would totally ditch him if it really came down to it.

Alistair’s eyes glossed over the illuminations; they immediately enraptured him when he first acquired the book, but he had thoroughly read through every page so many times that he no longer could learn anything new from it all. Having practiced most of the spells in the book—or the ones that were accessible to a single mortal magician like him—he had seen firsthand the results of attempted transmogrifications and painful procedures like soul-switching.
Wh? So they’ve just casually experimented on who knows how many people? Man, they are so much more messed up that I originally thought. It’s like other people’s lives don’t matter to them, like the weight and consequences of their actions don’t exist.

Alistair hurried over, his heart racing with panic. He was about to tie Voleur’s paws to the sapphire when he noticed Victoria still standing there. Though her hands were still on the gem, it was cold and lifeless.

“Voleur, I…”

Alistair’s heart wrenched as he saw Voleur’s distress, his chest heaving as he breathed heavily.

“I’m sorry.”
??? Is she dead? Why isn’t Pippa reacting to this? Pippa handles the whole thing remarkably calmly, in a weirdly detached way.

Voleur screamed and ran about, kicking aside the torches, tearing down hanging crystals and suncatchers, destroying every object in sight. Alistair watched him, his heart hanging heavily, fighting back tears that lingered just behind his eyes.
Ah yes, another tantrum while Alistair just watches. What a very normal and healthy dynamic these two have! /s

This was very compelling, and I admit that the end caught me by surprise. It felt a little…abrupt? Almost like the story isn’t quite finished? There’s a lot of unanswered questions—why didn’t the spell work? What actually happened to Victoria and why doesn’t Alistair seem the least bit concerned about it? I had actually expected the earlier paragraph about their experiments to become more relevant or offer more of an explanation for what happened to Victoria and if that result was expected, but I didn’t quite get that elaboration.

Overall though, this is a fascinating story and reads like a cautionary folk tale, of sorts. Very “be careful what you wish for” and “every action has a consequence.” I loved the dysfunctional dynamic between the two main characters and how wholly self-absorbed they both are. This is great stuff!

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
WELL that's a heck of a warning to open with haha

Interesting that he's giving a vague story to the guy and a more elaborate story to the gal, despite it being more or less the same story. I'd think a con man would want to be consistent so he's not caught as easily. So I'm expecting him to have some way to ensure that.

Oh and the first customer is still there! That makes me even more suspicious, because you've already said that a woman is killed, so I assume it's her, but I would think the man would be a victim too because he's heard this ruse and thus knows too much.

Also odd that Victoria would overhear this and thus KNOW he's a huckster and still agree to meet him for tea.

Hm I wonder who the forgotten Galarian god is. Eternatus? Maybe something else entirely.

Oh now we have some motivation! Getting Lucario's powers back? I wonder how they were taken! And they can't do anything about "Isa" then?

...ohhhhhh thaaaaaaat's why I gotcha. What an odd reason to kill someone, for charging a lot for a work of art? A Lucario up and murdering someone for something so minor sure isn't something you see every day and it makes me wonder just how willing Alistair is to really work with him.

Oh except he's a murderer too. Of course hahaha.

Wait so Isa mentioned all these gods to them but they think she enacted a curse *after* she was already dead? In a world like this where the existence of gods and spirits is openly known, you'd think they'd be a bit more suspicious. Especially since it happened right as they passed a shrine.

Geez how much tea can a little Hoppip drink? I can't imagine much.

Huh I was thinking this would be a sacrifice but Alistair is talking like Victoria will survive the procedure. Which goes back to my earlier point about knowing too much. Though given the illustrations in the book, I wonder why he's so confident in that.

Alistair and Volo would get along REAL well, honestly.

This Jerome she mentions would be shocked to hear what these two have been up to

And she may tell Jerome too, provided she's able to communicate at all after this! She can apparently walk, but she doesn't seem to even try to communicate, so I'm wondering what sort of state she's in. If the book is any indication, a soulless one!

oh wait shit I read the summation. I hope you were able to speak up and get the book thrown at the asshole!

Top Bottom