• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Thousand Roads Tarot

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Thousand Roads Tarot

Our deck is COMPLETE! See all the cards here, or discover your fortune here!

As a special art event this year, we're going to work on creating a Pokémon-themed Tarot deck! Tarot decks were originally intended for typical card games, but over time have become more associated with divination and the occult. These days Tarot decks are also known for their beautiful artwork, with a huge variety of takes on the same 78 cards having been produced, from those living squarely in the fine art realm to those featuring My Little Pony characters. Now it's Thousand Roads' turn to try creating our own custom deck!

If you don't know much of anything about Tarot, don't worry! There are many guides online that provide information on the symbolism associated with the various cards. Wikipedia is honestly a decent place to start for information on the typical iconography and meaning associated with a card! There are also plenty of Tarot sites out there providing interpretations of the cards' iconography and meaning, such as this one or this one!

However, remember that this is intended as a fun community project, and no one is going to show up to criticize your symbology or say your interpretation of a card was incorrect, etc. If you find the symbolism associated with your card confusing or hard to work with, feel free to take your assigned card name as a prompt and put your own spin on things! What sorts of things do "The Tower" or "The High Priestess" mean to you, and how would you express those meanings through Pokémon?

If you're looking for inspiration or to get a sense of how Pokémon fans have tackled certain cards in the past, here are some fan projects worth checking out: DPPt Tarot | General Pokémon Tarot | Nuzlocke Tarot | Another General Pokémon Tarot

What to Submit

Your final submission should be an image with an aspect ratio (width:height) of 2:3. I'll be pasting this into a Tarot card template so we can end up with a set of images that looks like they're all a part of the same Tarot deck! Or, alternatively, if you would like my eternal regard and gratitude, you can instead do the image-pasting and card customization yourself using this template (and this font if you need it) and post the completed card instead; please use "Black #2" if so. (With thanks to templatepsds.)

Image Content Specifications

Since these cards will be shared with a general audience, please don't create images with large quantities of blood or gore, explicit violence, explicit sexual content, or content you expect people to find disturbing or disgusting. If you aren't sure whether the image you have in mind would be appropriate for this project, feel free to ask in this thread or by DM!

You can use any combination of canon Pokémon species and characters along with OCs and fakemon to illustrate your card. However, as a courtesy to people avoiding Pokémon Scarlet and Violet spoilers, if you'd like to use any SV species, please restrict yourself to those that have been revealed in official media.

How to Sign Up

Simply post this thread to indicate your interest and, optionally, name one of the (Rider-Waite) Major Arcana that you would be most interested in illustrating. At this point I have no idea how many sign-ups to expect, which makes it a bit hard for me to determine how card assignments will ultimately be made, but I think the most likely scenario is that you will be assigned either the card you requested, if any, or a random one of the Major Arcana.

Sign-ups will remain open through September 7th, at which point I'll generate the card assignments and post them to the thread. From that point you'll have roughly one month--until October 9th--to post your completed card image. Have fun!

The Deck So Far

0. The Fool - cynsh
I. The Magician - Phoenixsong
II. The High Priestess - Inkedust
III. The Empress - Sinderella
IV. The Emperor - windskull
V. The Hierophant - canisaries
VI. The Lovers - Torchic
VII. The Chariot - unrepentantAuthor and Chibi Pika
VIII. Strength - Panoramic_Vacuum
IX. The Hermit - Seren
X. Wheel of Fortune - Umbramatic
XI. Justice - Dragonfree
XII. The Hanged Man - kyeugh
XIII. Death - IFBench
XIV. Temperance - MintyMimix
XV. The Devil - Bluwiikoon
XVI. The Tower - spinaltapdancer3
XVII. The Star - Lord Knee
XVIII. The Moon - Torchic W. Pip
XIX. The Sun - Adam
XX. Judgement - Cresselia92
XXI. The World - silurica

Queen of Swords - aer
King of Pentacles - bluesidra
King of Wands - unrepentantAuthor
Queen of Wands - Negrek[/size][/b]

Last edited:

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
I'm definitely interested, if you'll have me.

Bluwiikoon

waow!
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. nosepass-bluwiikoon
SIGN ME THE 🐬 UP

I would be happy taking any card that remains after everybuddy else gets a choice ^^ I like a creative challenge!

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Hi hello may I have the Chariot?? 👀 Unless someone else was really gunning for that one—I’m flexible!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Glad to have you all! Only one thing--if you'd like to request a specific card, please do narrow it down to one; it's going to get really complicated for me if I have to try and figure out card assignments across multiple people asking for one of three or so.

@Inkedust Do you have any one of those cards that you'd prefer above the others?

Partners
  1. skiddo-steplively
  2. skiddo-px2
  3. skiddo-px3
  4. skiddo-iametrine
  5. skiddo-coolshades
  6. skiddo-rudolph
  7. skiddo-sleepytime
  8. snowskiddo
  9. skiddotina
  10. skiddengo
  11. skiddoyena
Sure, sounds fun! No preference atm (might give the cards a look over later, no time atm alas), but realistically I'd probably end up going with random anyway, heh. Super glad to see this is finally happening!

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
HI CAN I HAVE THE TOWER (OR THE EMPRESS AS PLAN B) PLS

Last edited:

bluesidra

Mood
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. hoppip-bluesidra-reup
  2. hoppip-bluesidra-pink
  3. hoppip-bluesidra3
hi yes, me too pls! I'm fine with whatever

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
Mmm... I should have time to do something with a month's worth of time and some pre-planned work vacation time, so... sign me up. I have a vague idea for The Moon but I'll honestly take whatever's available and figure something out.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Hey, why not? Just gimme whatever, I have no preference, but the Star sounds intriguing. :eyes:

Last edited:

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Signing up! First pick is the Hierophant, but if that's not available or someone else wants it more, I have ideas for the Fool, the Moon, the Hermit, the Emperor and Justice, roughly in that order.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
If pixel art is allowed, I'd like to try my hand at this! Anything goes!

Top Bottom