• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Third Anniversary Event Planning

What sort of writing event would you prefer?

• Use a combination of random phrases in a story

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Drabble Bingo

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Pokédex Drabbles

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Third Anniversary Event Planning

Thousand Roads' third anniversary is coming up on April 23rd, and as usual that means we'll be hosting a variety of events over the subsequent two-week period, April 23rd - May 7th! These are mostly intended to be small, casual events, with the idea that you can mix and match them according to your preference--try whatever interests you and leave the others. This is also one of your chances to snag a forum companion!

There are some events already planned for this year's event, some want community input to determine what form they'll take, and this is an opportunity to propose your own events as well, if there's something you think would fit in nicely.

Here's what's already on the schedule, as well as what we're still looking for:

Forum-Based Events

- A small review event. By popular request, this year's event will focus on reading multiple chapters of the same story and/or catching up with fics you're already reading!

- A small writing event. What form this takes will depend on community input. Last year's drabble bingo went well, and I'm happy to bring it back for another year if people are interested. However, I'd love a couple of volunteers to help make bingo cards if this one returns. Other possibilities include "Thousand Roads Completes the Pokédex" (people write fake pokédex drabbles to "catch" as many species as possible during the event) or an ongoing drabble story where each person writes the next short segment of text. Or a different sort of writing event, if there's one you'd like to see. Please post your preference here!

- Fanfic mafia returns for its third year! Sign-ups are now open, and the game itself will begin at the very start of the anniversary event. Visit the sign-up thread for more details!

- Tetra will host a trainerverse RP! Work together with other characters to solve a mystery. More details will be made available as the anniversary progresses.

- Namo will be bringing us some Blacklight author interviews! Look out for these once the event's underway.

Discord-Based Events

- Voice chats return! Depending on interest we'll be looking to host two to three casual chat hangouts on the anniversary weekend. If you're interested in attending one of these, please fill out this scheduling assistant so we can pick out some times that will let as many people participate as possible.

- Catnip Speed Dating will debut during this year's anniversary! Look out for more information about this once the anniversary begins.

- For those of you playing Pokétwo on the server, we'll be hosting a couple of incense drops again this year!

- Wildboots will host a session of For the Queen on Monday, April 25th at 7 PM EST! This is a collaborative roleplaying game held over VC. More information will be made available at the start of the anniversary!

Potential Additional Events

- Last year's stream of Pokémon Generations was a lot of fun. If there's anyone interested in hosting a stream of Pokémon Evolutions this year, we'd be happy to have it!

- In previous years we've had various member-hosted games, from One Night Ultimate Zoroark to For the Queen! If you'd be interested in hosting a game or activity on Discord this year, please post here!

If you have any suggestions for events where you're not sure how they might fit in, or if you've got any other thoughts on what you'd like to see or how the event should be run, feel free to post here as well! All brainstorming is welcome while we get things prepped for our kick-off day.

Last edited:

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
Oh, this reminds me of the one I had months ago!

I don't recall if it was for a contest or not, but back on TCoD, I recall some people writing one shots that had to include a certain number of specific phrases. So perhaps that would be an interesting thing to bring back, similar to the bingo prompts, where participants are given a list of phrases and have to work all of them into a one-shot somehow.

bluesidra

Mood
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. hoppip-bluesidra-reup
  2. hoppip-bluesidra-pink
  3. hoppip-bluesidra3
Catnip Speed Dating will debut during this year's anniversary! Look out for more information about this once the anniversary begins.
Heh. I know it reads "more info later" but what’s the general idea behind catnip speed dating?

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
I really want to do For The Queen again! That was so much fun last year!

And if nobody else wants to host the RP event, I can!

SparklingEspeon

Back on Her Bullshit
Staff
a Terrace of Indeterminate Location in Snowbelle
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. fennekin
  3. zoroark
If the bingo event returned, I wouldn't have issues helping come up with a few cards. I do quite like the pokedex drabble idea, though... if we went with that, maybe a large post with all the entries everyone wrote could be put up on the forums at the end. Something possibly collaborative, not too high effort, and probably wacky and inconsistent like the actual pokedex--seems like a pretty fun event to me!
---
Will definitely look out for details on the review event, I'm always up for one of those. :D

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Oh, this reminds me of the one I had months ago!

I don't recall if it was for a contest or not, but back on TCoD, I recall some people writing one shots that had to include a certain number of specific phrases. So perhaps that would be an interesting thing to bring back, similar to the bingo prompts, where participants are given a list of phrases and have to work all of them into a one-shot somehow.
I've seen challenges like that before, yes! I also think that might be a fun option for our writing event.

Heh. I know it reads "more info later" but what’s the general idea behind catnip speed dating?
Catnip but faster and hosted on Discord. Authors randomly paired, each provides a small excerpt of their work for the other to read, then give one-two sentences of feedback, then a new pairing is rolled. The idea being to get a taste for many different stories in a low-effort way.

I really want to do For The Queen again! That was so much fun last year!

And if nobody else wants to host the RP event, I can!
I talked with Boots, and she says she'll run a session of For the Queen on April 25th, 7 PM EST! Hope you can make it. I'll let you know about the RP event as well.

bluesidra

Mood
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. hoppip-bluesidra-reup
  2. hoppip-bluesidra-pink
  3. hoppip-bluesidra3
@Negrek Thanks for the reply. That sounds like fun :)

other than that, I want to second Espy with her idea for the pokedex-bingo. Wouldn't even have to be cards. It could be as easy as giving out random numbers from the pokedex and then see how much we can fill.
(Eg. I'm saying "Hey, I'm feeling productive, I'll take 10" and the organizer rolls 10 rnds and gives me these. Then I go to the nearest wiki, look up which mons I've got and get to writing.)

We could call the result the TR-Dex or something :D
If you need someone for the bookkeeping/logging/numbersorting, I'll gladly volunteer.

Last edited:

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Oh! Also!

I'd be interested in hosting some rounds of Gartic Phone, too!

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Several updates on anniversary planning!

First, it looks as though only two people have indicated times that they would able to join an anniversary voice chat. Are people simply not interested in these, or would an alternative method of scheduling be preferable? Without input on timing for these, I'd be left to guess/work with times that are most convenient to me.

Second, Tetra has confirmed that she'll be running a trainer-focused RP during the second half of the anniversary. This RP will center on a mystery, with lots of opportunities for characters to investigate!

Additionally, Namo will be holding Blacklight author interviews during the anniversary period! Look out for those to appear as the event progresses.

Finally, we've heard some great ideas for a writing event to hold this year. I've added a poll to this thread to figure out which of these people would be most interested in participating in! Based on feedback from last year's anniversary, I'll be launching the writing event partway through the anniversary so people can focus just on reviewing for the first few days, if they'd like.

Oh! Also!

I'd be interested in hosting some rounds of Gartic Phone, too!
Sounds like fun! Let me know what day(s)/time(s) you'd like to host these, and I'll add them to the list!

Top Bottom