• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

The White Elephant in the Room Playground

Dawn of the First Day—Let the Games begin!
  • Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
    Pronouns
    He/him/his
    The unseen sun shone bright on the glistening, snowy mountain top. No cloud obscured the sky, and only the faintest of wind brushed the fur, skin, and scales of the recent arrivals. Whether or not they remembered agreeing to some winter vacation, they all remembered packing for it anxiously—in both senses of the word. Nobody remembered putting their luggage in the wailords now dropping off their belongings in front of them, but everybody remembered that they did.

The air had no motion, yet swirled around them nonetheless. The surrounding snow looked close to frozen, but the temperature felt like the inside of a cozy cabin. In fact, it felt exactly like the picturesque cabin that stood mere meters away, the only building directly between them and the mountainside. Far off to the East (at least, it felt like East, though perhaps that was only because it was to the party’s right) stood a wood building much larger. A cable lift left through the roof of it, and several shops of quaint names decorated its outside.

Looking at the many different shops’ labels, they changed every time anyone looked at them twice. They never stayed the same, but seemed attuned to whatever luxury the person looking at them desired. The sight itself shot the eyes with its constant flux and inexcusable gaudiness. The mountain made for a much nicer view.

On the silent, still mountain, a streak of red tore down the highest hill. Snow sprayed all around it as it carved a path down the mountain. The eagle-eyed could barely make out a squirtle with a red handkerchief, hat, and wicked snow board. He caught sight of the party just as they saw him and beamed a smile brighter than the absent sun that illuminated the scene.

With as much regard for his own safety as anyone would expect of a squirtle, he quickly pivoted parallel to the slope to gain as much momentum as possible. He didn’t seem to see the mass of trees directly in his path! Right before an untimely collision, he sprayed water below him that instantly froze into a large ramp with well-practiced ease.

After he took to the air, he went from the top of the mountain to in front of the cabin. He flipped several times, too many to count, striking a pose on each rotation. So enamored with his last pose, he failed to land. The board caught in the snow, coating the party in its spray. The squirtle didn’t notice at all, up on his feet in a flash.

“Hi!” He ran in front of the party and stuck out his hand for a shake. This little guy must have learned some advanced form of double-team, because every party member felt him grab their hand (or paw, or closest approximation of a front-side appendage) into an eager handshake. “I’m Squirt!” Squirt declared. “You must be The Party!”

The youth’s eyes beamed into everyone else’s before shooting to the identical, black-wrapped presents in front of everyone. Or was there only the one? Everyone remembered packing and wrapping one, or at least that they did, but not all could remember why or how they obtained the item hidden within. Within the warmth of the cabin, a chill ran down the spines of a select few.

Squirt ran between every present, examining each thoroughly before leaping to the next. “You all remembered! Great! Merry—“ his smile faltered, and he stopped dead in his tracks, if only for a moment. He took a step back, cleared his throat, and looked at the group with a melancholy grin. “Thanks for coming! I can’t wait to share presents tomorrow! I hope whoever gets mine likes it!”

His jubilance returned with a vengeance, and he turned to the cabin, beckoning everyone inside with a wave of his hand and a, “Come on! Let’s get inside. It’s freezing out here.” Without taking a step, everyone was in the cabin. Despite having only one floor and at most a single window, the cabin had several stories and plenty room for everyone. Each room was even personalized so much that it was easy to believe everyone had lived in them for months, maybe even years.

A fireplace warmed the space, a sparkling tree hiding all the black presents beneath. Above the mantle hung a massive flat-screen television connected to a PlayStation 3 beside the fire. Very close to the fire. Almost in it. A wonder it could run at all, but its lights stayed on, and it seemed the only source to explain the grown man in an elf costume running around a city of humans on the big screen. Plugged into the same outlet extender (which was itself not plugged into any power outlet) as the television and PlayStation was a bright white ipod photo. It had an audio cable plugged into it, but the cable lay impotent around it with no device to transmit its… signal. Only its backlit display even suggested it was on.

“Oh, I can’t wait to see who gets my present!” Squirt said, eyeing each one beneath the tree. “Gotta wait until tomorrow, though!” He forced himself away from the presents, picked up a PlayStation controller, and switched over to Metal Gear Solid. On the screen, it looked like some nerd had just wet himself while the hardened spy paid no heed to the incessant rants of “Japanese anime,” whatever those were.

The image cut out, but Squirt kept playing. An audio recording began to play, but only the party could hear it. “Hello! Thank you for agreeing to bring this child Christmas Cheer, whether you consented or not. As you know, some unknown entity has murdered this world’s Santa. We at the Interdimensional Holiday Committee chose you all as prime candidates to bring about the most holiday cheer for this little boy in these trying times.

“As you’ve likely noticed by now, travel is a bit different here. To ensure accessibility of all life-forms, our world’s Palkia has confined the entire mountain into one space in a manner easy to traverse. You need only think of where you’d like to go, begin to walk there, and you will arrive at your destination. Of course, you can only travel within the confines of the mountain. Any attempts to leave will consolidate all duplicate forms of your bodies at once, causing a minor singularity before you vanish off the face of the multiverse, so please exercise caution on the borders of the enclosure.

“Thank you once again for agreeing to come along, consent notwithstanding, and please make this as close to an enjoyable Christmas as possible for poor little Squirt. We trust that you will all give him the love that the monster that murdered Santa stole from him. That is all. Have a wonderful time!”

Dawn of the Second Day-Mourning Begins
  • Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
    Pronouns
    He/him/his
    A blinding light engulfs the mountain. Right before the sun rose (well, there was no sun to rise, but), before any rational creature would wake, the blast shook everyone out of their stupor. What could it be? Where did it come from?

It didn't take much to find the source. In the very same living room they'd previously met in laid thirteen presents, one more opened. A red scarf and hat held the present's tag down.

To: Squirt
    Don't open 'til Christmas! Ho-ho-ho!

While the wrapping paper lay in shambles and Metal Gear Solid 2 lay in the present box, the television turned itself on. A pre-recorded message like the last one began to play, though this voice sounded suspiciously like the type that would try to steal some Declaration of Independence. "Good morning, valued guests. As you're well aware, Santa has paid your cottage a visit. It's time we let you know the real deal.

"You see, our interdimensional analysis showed some among you to be the most likely to have killed Santa Claus. The very Santa of Squirt's world. You tried to ruin his Christmas, and much paperwork has been filed to clean up your mess. Therefore, we've gathered you all here to serve two purposes. First, the one you are all already aware of, and that's to give Squirt the happiest holiday he can have.

"We didn't pick just any child, though. No, Squirt is a well trained agent of the Interdimensional Holiday Committee. One of our very best. He is here to observe the results of this simulation and find the Grinch (or Grinches, or Grinchettes (though that last one's not very necessary since Grinch is hardly a gendered term—many grinch are women or even non-binary)) among you." No wind dared disturb Special Agent Squirt's scarf.

"Of course," the voice continued, "we did need to give Squirt a joyous holiday season. So, some of you really are only the very best partiers the multiverse has to offer, and you're under no suspicion. Please resume as you were and give Squirt the great time he deserves. Don't let his youth fool you, though. He's very capable."

Twelve unopened presents, one addressed to everyone in the room, all with the exact same warning as Squirt's. "Don't open 'til Christmas! Ho-ho-ho!" A yet unseen tree held a partridge, singing and feasting on the many pears among the branches.

Dawn of the Third Day: Problems A-pair-ant
  • Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
    Pronouns
    He/him/his
    “Open it.”
    Mewtwo glared at the present. He knew what would happen. He knew why they were doing this. But he didn’t know why he listened. He didn’t understand how something like that could pose any threat at all. Yet, here he was. A new sensation ached in his stomach, burned from his pores. Even the strongest of his psychic pulses did nothing against that monstrous weapon. “Weapon,” he could barely call it that.
    But the mere sight of it sent chills down his spine. He had never felt fear before. He had never been anything but the strongest pokémon in any room, and here he was opening a present so he didn’t have to face that… whatever it was.

---

A flash of light consumed the night and its storm, louder than all of the thunder strikes combined that night. Nobody could sleep through it. Two turtle doves and a partridge fled the pear tree outside. Even the deaf could feel the seismic impact. All at once, the sky cleared and the morning came. “Good morning, guests! I hope you had a wonderful slumber. Welcome to Thirsty Thursday! Be sure to have a delicious drink with a friend! Remember, pairs of two make oceans blue!”

Eventually, everyone congregated around the same scene. A ball of yarn, fresh fish, a heavy blanket, and the box itself seemed large and sturdy enough to hold the missing psychic cat.

Mewtwo was gone. Had he succumb to the temptation of a Christmas present, or was something more sinister afoot?

Dawn of the Fourth Day: What the Cluck?
  • Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
    Pronouns
    He/him/his
    Darkwhite: Tabitha
    Mia: Nilam
    Skip: Lee, Abigail, Gen, Mia

With no one more date-able than another, no one opened their present. It did make some sense that those chosen to attend a Holiday Vacation with a child would have absolutely no game, but that didn’t make it any less sad. Would they stay lonely forever? Even when they went home? Ah, but that’s a question for another time.

Just as the nights before, the invisible sun faded away as dark storms took over the sky. They raged, blew, and raged some more before clearing out to make way for the no-sun in the sky. The morning came. Not even time for bingo night. That wouldn’t stop the PlayStation, however. “N forty-one!” it blared. “That is N Forty-one! November four one! I twenty-eight! That is I twenty-eight. India two eight! B three! That is B three! Bravo three! B eleven! That is B eleven! Bravo one one! Finally, N fifty-one! That is N fifty one! November Five one!”

Like an angel, its voice greeted the everyone still in the living room because nobody had the time to get back to their bedrooms. The night felt a Skoch shorter than normal, but who knew for sure? This place didn't seem to abide by any particular laws—physics or otherwise. Three Kalosian hens huddled around the pear tree, crowing at the morning sky. Why did birds have to infest this area? Disgusting creatures.

Dawn of the Fifth Day: Long, Lonely Night
  • Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
    Pronouns
    He/him/his
    Oh. Darkwhite just got an investigation power. Dave had talked about those, in the memory that wasn't.

She could be lying, but why would she? Why would anyone believe she would, when she had proven she had a power that only made sense for the Nice team? There was no good reason for anyone not to vote for her anymore.

Lee said:
    "The only thing I find suspicious of her is her aggressive push when we had next to nothing to work with, then how she reluctantly went with the skip wagon after it was obvious no one else was going to vote Darkwhite with her."
    "That's not true," Mia explained, irritated. "I pushed on Darkwhite because she had claimed a bunch of powers more complicated than what anyone else had. And others did vote Darkwhite, too. I voted to skip because she wasn't lying, and I thought about the powers she claimed and realized which one she had, and she offered to prove it."

That didn't mean she wasn't on the Naughty team, of course, or that this wasn't obvious now. But people should vote her for the right reasons, not the wrong ones.

There was no point staying here anymore, when nothing else interesting was going to happen. She was done with this game. Maybe once she was out of it she'd be back home, or maybe not. Either way there was no point.

She walked over to the presents under the tree, found the one with her name on it, and pulled on the ribbon. She faded into silence as the gift unwound into a pile of coal.

One more step towards victory, right? The death at least looked painless. At least as painless as everyone's sleep that night. Not even bingo calls came that night. Maybe they'd come in the morning.

Before the absent sun lit the sky, a chorus of calling birds filled the air. Their piercing song accompanied the partridge in the pear tree.

Dawn of the Sixth Day: Consume
  • Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
    Pronouns
    He/him/his
    ProphetSteve JobsIshmaelOdysseusRomulus
    SuspectNilamNocitalinPalkiaSanta
    VotersNocitlalin, TabithaAbigail, Jesse, NilamPalkia, Darkwhite
    [catch bool(trusted!);
    UnitDesignate_Abigail, UnitDesignate_Jesse, UnitDesignate_Nilam accuse Unit001_101110110;
    Request: Sound argument;
    Error;
    Error;
    Error;
    None found;
    Error;
    Options:
    []Initiate ramming,
    []Discuss alternative measures;
    Error: Party irrational=discussion ineffective;
    [X]Ram;]

Nocitlalin shot towards its present at unforeseen speeds. It launched towards it until mere inches separated it from the gift before it disappeared to the back of the room and continued course. Each approach got faster and faster, closer and closer, massive blast after massive blast shook the building as it broke mach one, two, five, twelve—97, 98, XP! Vista!—until finally light covered the mountain in a final explosion as finally Nocitlalin rammed into the gift.

The flash blinded the party, made only worse by the darkening night. Just before the storm came, barely enough light illuminated the annihilated present.

An HM marked Windows Seven.

The sun made its absent return before the storm could take the mount. Instead of hail and rain, flecks of gold fell from the sky, coating the snow until it shined bright with gold foil.

The television flickered, struggling to turn on until finally it displayed it had no input. "What the hell just happened? Where's the suspect?"

Dawn of the Seventh Day:
  • Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
    Pronouns
    He/him/his
    "Open it."

Darkwhite pouted, her tiny arms crossed as she stared down the black present before her. She figured that was what was going to happen. She was far too much of a threat, and she'd partied way too hard in this little realm.

"So it was you," Darkwhite said, grinning. "The man or woman or otherwise behind my death is you...

"Uhuhu... huhu..." Darkwhite drifted toward it. "Y'know, it's too bad that the party's over for me. I wasn't ready to go. But... knowing how frustrated I made you..." She looked toward her assailant, a glint in her dark eyes. "...That's good enough. Uhuhu... I wonder, will you be next? How long will you last?"

She pulled the ribbon, and her voice was like a fading echo.

"Good luuuuck."

In her present lay a plush lucario.

Light pierced the night and the storm to reveal the bright, clear, sunless sky. As it remained empty, the mountain's surface snow remained gold, but the place didn't feel quite the same as it had up to this point. The simple travel of instantly walking to a location disappeared, forcing partygoers to use doors and hallways once more. They couldn't see the entire mountain at once anymore, either, with only communication of all forms from the partygoers perceptible at all times anymore.

"Hello? Hello? Am I getting through?" asked Elbert through the television. "Oh, good. I got to work a couple minutes early and didn't know when the Night Protocol would end since apparently you all have meddled with it. Beside that, well..." his voice trailed off. It sounded like he wanted to talk about anything else. "There's some good news and some bad news. The good news is we've identified the Soul Signatures of all the missing guests and Darkwhite. We can't find their location as of yet, but we do know for certain that they're alive."

He paused. He really didn't want to continue. "Unfortunately, we can't do the same for any of you. Or, at least not all of you." If anyone happened to glance outside the window, they'd notice the ski-lift had stopped for the first time since they arrived. It looked like it hadn't been on for some time. Traveling to the top of the mountain without it would be near impossible. "We don't know why. I'm sorry, I wish I had more answers, but we just don't know. It might be the pocket-dimension distortion, but we've only identified three Soul Signatures. Unfortunately, we can't match them to any of yours. Too much interference is the theory.

"But, hey, at least nobody died! Well, the people we thought had didn't, at least. And at least three of you aren't dead, so that's good, right?"

The ski-lift remained motionless, but the bright neon sign over Rillaboom Rentals flashed to light. "We'll open in a jiffy!" boomed a loudspeaker. "Just waiting for the ski-lift to get going, and we'll get y'all all the help y'need."

Dawn of the Eigth Day: Swans-a-Swimming
  • Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
    Pronouns
    He/him/his
    Jesse's hackles went up before he even heard the motherfucker's movements. So. They weren't done yet. That was one question answered, at least... and very soon, perhaps he'd discover the answer to another question: what happened when you died, in this absurd, purgatorial, bullshit locale?

He turned to face them. Narrowed his eyes. Watched.

The wretch indicated his present. No, you bastard. No, I'm not opening the goddamn box. I'm gonna put you through the trouble at least, damn you.

"I ain't touchin' the fuckin' gift," he drawled, one paw drifting towards his wand holster. "You're gonna have to dust me yerself, you cowardly lil' shit."

And so they did.

Jesse's wand clattered to the floor, smoking gently. His paw clutched at his chest. He sunk to his knees. Goddamnit. They'd been close. So close. At least it was him and not one of the others. He deserved it for leading that fucking mislynch anyway. Goddamnit. God damn it...

"God fuckin' damn it."

As Jesse died, he thought of Sierra and Brisa. If he was wrong, and this was his true death, they'd never know the truth. They'd be in danger. He'd been stupid. So fucking stupid...

"Fuck... you..." he choked out, as his lungs, at last, ceased to breathe.

A light exploded from his present, leaving no remnant of the father behind besides the present itself. The box held a framed picture of him holding a young Brisa while Sierra embraced them both. Who knows who took such a photo, or how it came to be. Christmas Magic, perhaps?

The mountain remained stabilized out of its instantaneous travel, though the sound hadn't caught the memo. All the partygoers could hear the rumbles of everyone getting out of bed, as well as honks and splashes from some pond or pool. Zeke's hoodie remained on the living room floor, untouched in the night's commotion. Hopefully the boy had found a warm place to sleep, but at least the past few nights had acclimated him to freezing weather.

As the group gets together in the living room, they see only Jesse missing, his present joining the others opened. They had no time to grieve, however: it was bingo time. "Hello! Tell me, does anybody have an O seventy-four? B six? Hows about an I nineteen? An N thirty-one? N thirty? Be sure to claim any Bingos at your earliest possible convenience!"

Last edited:
    Dawn of the Tenth Day: Just Dance
  • Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
    Pronouns
    He/him/his
    The sun never came to light the sky, as usual, and the mountain had enough of that. It was snowy, cold, beautiful, and it deserved a light source, dammit. The ground shook with righteous beats and slamming synths funky as they were fresh. The ground shook, rumbled, the peak of the mountain falling to bits until a massive ball of mirrors shot out of it, colored lights trailing behind. Nobody could resist these tracks.

Everybody got up in unison, the spirit of dance assassinating their need to sleep. It wasn't time to sleep.

It was time to bust a move.

Top Bottom