• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon The Sandlot

MikaelBrigman

Golurk-Platinum
Pronouns
he/him
Or: The Home Run Ball Seen 'Round the World. It started with a few Pokémon who just wanted to play ball and a pair of civil servants trying to do their jobs. Honestly. How were they supposed to know they would do a better job than Team Plasma?

It was the bottom of the ninth. The wind was pouring through the trees as the Green Hurricane finally stepped up to the plate. They licked their thumb, raised it in the air, and nodded. Conditions set.

There was a flash of pink in the air around the shortstop, and though they didn't move, the outfielders began backing up.

A black glove grasped the worn baseball, tossing it up and down. The pitcher was short, and they stood

The bases were loaded. Each of the three runners were bouncing on their feet, both because of nerves and anticipation.

The wooden bat would have looked like a typical branch, had it not been stripped entirely of bark by the third inning. The Green Hurricane raised the bat over their shoulder.

The pitcher stopped juggling the ball and began the wind-up.

The Green Hurricane adjusted their stance and smirked.

In the moment that the ball flew, rocketing towards the batter, the breeze's intensity revealed itself through the trees, blowing it off course.

Had it been any other batter, or perhaps Hay Wetter, it would have ended up as a strike.

Wood met leather and cork. Green Hurricane's bat swung away from the ground, nearly perpendicular, sending it right back and towards the pitcher.

It went towards, past the outstretched black glove, and over. Over, over, over it went…

Outfielders ran towards its trajectory as it began descending. It only grew faster. Their only hope was the remaining

It struck Hay Wetter in the forehead, knocking him over, before continuing to roll off into the underbrush.

A cacophony of cheers went up from the batting team, sounding somewhere between a series of chitters and a resounding cry.

Away from the game, unnoticed by the players, two people stood at the edge of the clearing.

A young nurse rubbed her eyes to confirm what she was seeing. "Township Director, what exactly am I looking at?"

Director Joy, one of the few males of the prominent clan, and the uncle of that nurse in particular, scratched his pink stubble. "...I believe…"

The batter, a Pansage, stuck his tongue out at the other Pokémon, and began running bases.

The pitcher, a Mimikyu, pulled its shadowy arm back under its cloak. They knocked their head to the side as the outfielders scrambled to find the home run ball.

The shortstop, a Gothorita, sighed and telekinetically lifted the ball out of a bush.

An Emolga was wrapped around it, holding on like their life depended on it, before remembering they could glide and let it go.

Hay Wetter, a Panpour, was sniffling on the ground while sitting in a puddle. The other Pokémon scampered past him, clearly unperturbed by the reaction.

A Farfetch'd jogged over from third base into a standing bench of celebrating Pokémon.

A Cubone, still carrying their personal bat, stopped on home base. They pointed their bone at the sky and nodded before walking off.

A Lucario walked slowly across the ramshackle plate, only allowing himself to make the final step when the ball reappeared.

A Patrat, standing off to the side and whistled three times. Pidove exploded out of the treeline as the screech continued echoing.

The team formations fell apart and chittering rose up from the ragtag group of Pokémon. A Timburr slapped the Pansage on the back, and the Grass-type responded by flexing and patting their biceps. A Ralts was on its knees, heaving for breath while trying to support themself with the shoulder of a nearby Golett. A Darmanitan was walking between the members of the losing team, giving support in ways only Pokémon could understand; the thumbs-up given to each made the meaning clear.

Director Joy finally found the words to say, "...We may not have a new Pokémon Center as soon as expected."

Nurse Joy looked over to him in confusion. "You mean a Nuvema Pokémon Center?"

"Yes… yes, that's what I said," Director Joy said, still dumbfounded. He looked over the group. There was a sudden swarm of Woobat that he hadn't noticed before. Not including the Flying-types, there were maybe twenty individual Pokémon.

Lucario, who had seemed to be the most relaxed of the group, caught their gaze.

They, also, had caught Lucario's.

Instantly, the Fighting-Steel-type was in front of them. A bluish haze began pouring into the air around them, and their eyes glowed. They growled, staring menacingly at Director Joy.

He raised his palms in a placating gesture, though he didn't step back. "My apologies, we didn't intend to intrude. We come in peace. As you can see, we don't carry Pokéballs." The Director motioned to his belt, which was only made of faux-leather. It didn't have the clicking and locking mechanisms of most Pokéball belts, which was clear to Lucario.

Their growling quieted, and they also looked at the pink hair shared by the two Joys.

It was a bit of Pavlovian conditioning, named for a Pokémon psychologist's treatment of their Growlithe. The pink hair of the Joy family, a dominant gene, was only worn by Nurses and those that otherwise worked in Pokémon Centers. Those that battled were required to wear it differently. Nurse Joys often aided wild Pokémon that wandered into their centers, and some even ventured into the nearby wilderness to provide aid to Pokémon unwilling to travel.

Though it was not either of these Joys in particular, it was clear that one of these Pokémon had been aided by a Joy before, and spread the word. Lucario's shoulders relaxed and the haze around it dissipated.

Director Joy took in a deep breath of air. The heavy pressure had not lasted long, but it certainly was not pleasant.

"Why are you here, then?" finally came another voice.

Both Joys swiveled their heads around, looking for the source of the voice.

Lucario growled, bringing their attention back. "Who else do you think is speaking to you?"

The Director's eyebrows shot up, though his niece's expression remained static and pleasant. "I'm afraid I don't meet Pokémon that speak with aura very often, my mistake," he said. "We were…"

Lucario raised an arm, cutting off the director. The chattering of the Pokémon in the clearing had ceased entirely, leaving them all in silence. "I believe we should speak in another location. Your presence makes the others nervous," Lucario said. "Wait a moment."

Lucario retreated for a minute, walking over to the crowd. Their speech was unintelligible, as they spoke as Pokémon without utilizing their aura. The Pokémon resumed their scattered conversations and Lucario returned.

"With me," they said, walking past the Joys and down a thin trail.

They came into a smaller clearing, though the canopy blotted out much more of the sky. There was a pile of slab-like rocks.

Lucario sat on one of the slabs, gesturing to another across from them before crossing their legs.

The Joys sat down, folding in on the short platforms. The Director was the first to speak.

"As I was saying, we were under the impression that this was an unused lot. Are you aware of the nearby human settlement?" he asked.

"Of course."

"Nuvema Town has a growing population, and the Pokémon League determined that a Pokémon Center ought to be built."

"Hm." Lucario didn't answer for a moment. "I won't deny the good that will do. The other Pokémon would surely benefit in the long-term. However, I am loath to concede this lot to humanity. Are you certain that it must be built here?"

"It is the most convenient placement. Nuvema Town is due to expand its borders soon enough, placing this area along a major road."

"In that case, I must refuse."

"But… won't it help the Pokémon?" Nurse Joy asked. "My cousins and sisters love helping wild Pokémon."

Lucario sighed. "I dislike the term "wild." We live well. We only play when the necessary berries have been collected and stored. We enjoy this sort of battling as much as our brethren among you. Can you really say that our way of living is "wild?""

Nurse Joy didn't reply.

"I have heard of people that think the same as you do," Director Joy said, inclining his head. "People that believe all Pokémon would be better off living in the wild. They campaign to separate friends for the sake of better living for all. Are you happier without humans?"

"That is not what I believe," Lucario said.

Director Joy was silent.

Lucario continued, "Not all Pokémon are better off in the wild. Not all of us enjoy living away from your society, even if I do. Do you believe in Arceus? A divine will of any kind?"

"I believe in the Hippocratic Oath," Director Joy said, "Nothing much further than that."

"Hm. It's irrelevant anyway. You are aware of aura, of course. Why do you think that humans and Pokémon both have aura? Why do you think that some Pokémon are able to evolve because of the friendships they have with other Pokémon and humans both? Why do you think that I am able to speak to you at this very moment?"

Nurse Joy began hesitantly, but said, "It's so that we can coexist. It's like Remoraid and Mantine, isn't it? A symbiotic relationship."

"That is a human way to describe it," Lucario said. "But yes. It is so that we can. It is my belief, however, that it is not so that we must. Each of us has made a choice to live away from humans. There have been those that changed their mind and sought out traveling trainers. Some return. Some do not. I believe it is a choice to live among humans, and that is the ideal I must defend."

"Then why don't you want a new Pokémon Center to be built?" the Director said. "We have never forced Pokémon to be treated or be integrated."

"You, the clan of amaranth hair, no," Lucario conceded. "But the humans that will follow you, yes. The choice will not remain to live among humans or not. For the Pokémon that have already made that choice, they will have a new choice; to leave their home, or to suffer. If it were only a Center, an outpost, then my objection would be less. When your homes are built, our homes are destroyed. They will have to move. That's hardly fair, is it?"

"...No," the Director said, "No, it isn't. But the Center must be built. The people that will come will bring their Pokémon, and their Pokémon will inevitably need aid. It's a matter of inevitability."

"It is an inevitability that must happen somewhere else."

There was a period of silence. Neither of them glared at the other, but the air was not amiable. It was tense, though not harsh.

"You mentioned that you would still have an objection, even if we didn't allow expansion. Why is that?" Director Joy asked, leaning back on the stone slab.

Lucario almost smirked, if the shape of its mouth allowed the expression. "Because that is their lot. That lot is where they play their game. That lot makes them happy. It brings this slice of forest to life, and I won't let them lose it. They come from many places, either running from trainers or simply journeying on their own, and they stay because they enjoy it. You're a compassionate human, as per you lineage, so I ask you this; would you really scatter these lost Pokémon to the wind?"

Director Joy sank further and scratched his stubble. "I see we're at an impasse. Is there a compromise that can be made?"

"No," Lucario said with a blunt edge. "This decision is all or nothing."

"Like a hail mary?" Nurse Joy asked.

Lucario blinked. "A what?"

"Oh, that's a football term, I had-"

Directory Joy waved his hand, still thinking.

If push came to shove, the League could throw its weight around, send in a Gym Leader, and kick them all out. But this Lucario seemed very aware of human society, despite having a fair dislike of it. They were not averse to speaking with humans, and they spoke with the intelligence of one. It would only be negative PR for them if Pokémon TV heard about them breaking up a bunch of Pokémon playing baseball.

Pokémon playing baseball! It was a novelty, a one in a million occurrence, especially in the wild. If they just crushed that, who would support them? That would hardly seem fair, and a Pokémon Center could hardly justify the action in the eyes of certain groups, or even the general public if it was spun right.

Unovan politics had stagnated while some people began advocating for separation of people and Pokémon. It was mostly protests and public seminars, but… There had been reports of thefts and arsons, nothing concretely tied to the organization, but a bad Applin ruins the bunch, as they say in Galar.

What would make the construction seem fair? What would…

What would even the playing field?

Slowly but surely, an idea began forming in Director Joy's head.

"You said all or nothing?"

Lucario nodded.

Director Joy thought further. "Excepting a draw, may I propose a bet?"

"A bet?" Lucario said, prodding for him to elaborate.

"You like playing baseball," he said, spreading out his hands. "All of you. You could all play and maintain a legitimate roster. Would they accept an official game with… certain stakes?"

"What kind of stakes?"

"If we win, you leave peacefully."

Lucario growled.

Director Joy made a placating gesture. "There's no need for violence. You leave peacefully, and in exchange… I'm sure we can figure out a way to find you an official field. After then, and only after then, we will build on that lot."

"If we win, you leave. There will be no more human settlements built near us. You will prevent humans from capturing any of the Pokémon in this area." Lucario paused. "You humans are finicky with wording, so I will clarify I mean there will be no battling as well."

"Total sovereignty," Director Joy said to simplify. "Treated as human."

"Treated as we wish," they said.

"As an equal."

"Fair enough."

"Very well, then. I'm going to put together a team." Director Joy stood up and adjusted his jacket, before extending his hand to Lucario. "I will return in a week, and the game will begin."

Lucario stood as well and stared at his hand, then back up at his face. "I will reconvene with the others. We will speak then."

The state of affairs was satisfactory, the Director thought.

As it was, they walked back to the greater trail, each of them thinking of their own considerations.

"What do you call the clearing?" Nurse Joy asked, folding her hands.

"One of the others lived among humans once," Lucario said, staring past the canopy in thought. "There was a movie they watched about human boys playing baseball. They were the first, but now, we all call it the Sandlot."

"We had thought that the age of equality would be ushered in by the scratching of pen on paper, the ringing of discarded Pokéballs, or as some regretfully believed, the dying hiss of a Hyper Beam. No one expected it would be by the swish of a baseball bat."

N.

Top Bottom