• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon The Human Heart (Prompt Anthology)

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
Here's my Bingo Prompt anthology. Going to format this a little nicer tomorrow.

As for reviews, if you are so inclined to leave one, I'm aware these are less edited and therefore much lower quality than what I'd usually like to put out. I don't need that pointed out to me. If I can fix it in less than a minute, go ahead and point it out so I can correct it, but I'm not planning on rewrite level fixes. So, yeah, I got some issues with these that I'm well aware of.

With that aside, here goes.

The Human Heart 01: Unexpected Sympathy.

Lusamine was tired of meetings. She’d never been much of a socialite in the first place, but the months following her taking up the presidency of Aether had been particularly exhausting.

Now, she found herself in a dinner meeting to discuss the outcome of the other meeting she’d had earlier today. She couldn’t wait to retreat to her suite for some time to herself.

She’d just have to get through this first. She waved as she entered the room.

“Greetings, Branch Manager Mohn.”

He smiled and waved back. “Hey there, President Lavigne!”

She couldn’t help but smirk at his mixing of casual and formal address. He’d pick up on the proper way of doing these things eventually, she was sure. He was an intelligent man, he was bound to figure it out sooner or later. In the meantime, she hoped her smirk read as a friendly smile. She was well practiced in masking them as such.

“Please, just call me Lusamine. Or President Lusamine, if you must.”

He nodded. “Okay, got it. Lusamine.”

He declined to offer to be called by his own name in turn. She figured it was likely from inexperience rather than intentional choice, but she would call him by his last name regardless. It would help him pick up on the rules.

A member of the kitchen staff served them their meals. He looked at her portion more than his own. She wondered what it was that interested him about it, her portion size, perhaps? From his own meal, it certainly seemed whatever family he’d come from had given him no concept of portion control.

“Now, onto business. If you would be willing to sate my curiosity, how do you think today’s discussions went?”

He crossed his arms. “Man, who do those people think they are?

“On the contents of the meetings, not the other people there.” She couldn’t help but snicker a bit, despite knowing she ought not to. It was nice to have someone else acknowledge how insufferable those old men could be sometimes.

He took a moment to mull over his answer. “I think it went well enough. Not sure, though. They ended up talking to me more than they did you. Did I do okay?”

She smiled. His performance had been eminently okay. “You did well. There are some things I wanted to go over, though. Nobody gets these things perfected on a first try.”

A relieved look crossed his face. It was good to see that he cared about her opinion. “Fair enough. Are they going to keep bugging me for all these business matters? I thought that would go through you.”

She couldn’t help but wince somewhat at the remark. She’d naïvely expected the same. “Hopefully, in due time they will grow used to me. Once that happens, they’ll go through me.”

She noticed a subtle shift in his demeanour. With that answer, he became more serious. More curious, too, judging his raised eyebrow. “And what’s it about me that has them coming through me instead?”

She batted her eyelashes, putting on a teasing expression. “Fancy a guess?” What would he say, she wondered. It was always interesting to see what explanations men came up with for the things they preferred not to see.

“You’re more experienced, and they don’t know what you’re like to deal with yet. I’m new to all this, so I’m easier for them to deal with. Easier for them to get what they want from.”

She laughed. It was wrong, but it was a better answer than the truth anyways. He was wary of them, for one thing. That was good. He may not have the language of these matters down yet, but he had the instinct for it. He didn’t let them lure him into a feeling of comfort. He also recognized her experience, and she couldn’t help but appreciate that.

She wished it was true.

“I’m afraid that’s not it. They’d rather deal with a man who can match their own familiarity with these dealings.”

His eyes widened for a moment, then he shut them and sighed. “I see.”

“I am encroaching on space that is traditionally theirs. Perhaps they will grow used to it…” She allowed a smirk to cross her face. “Or perhaps I’ll just have to outlive them.”

It was the sort of thing she’d never usually say in polite company. Or at all. Was this really the first time she’d voiced that thought out loud?

He laughed, though. What was it about this odd man that communicated to her that such a thing would be safe to say to him?

The difference, once she thought about it, wasn’t so difficult to make sense of after all: He was willing to talk about what she’d experienced. She hadn’t even been the one who’d brought it up. That was what was unlike anyone else she’d met before.

Even when she’d come in with the full intention of sticking to busin- Hey! When had she lost control of the conversation? Had she been beaten at her own game?

“In the meantime,” she redirected, “they are alive, and there is business with them to discuss.”

He nodded. She should be happy that the discussion was back under control, but she couldn’t help but feel ever so slightly disappointed the old subject was lost.

“There will always be time for chatting later,” she amended. She didn’t see any reason he would take her up on that off once the pressing matters had been settled. It was probably for the best. No matter how she enjoyed letting some of her inner thoughts slip past her lips, it was a liability, and she really should’ve known better anyways.

Business was just so much more tiring than speaking openly with him, though…

There was a chill breeze blowing across Aether Paradise that night.

“Hey, Lu. Still holding up okay?”

“I’ve weathered worse before. You know me. Born and raised to deal with pressure.”

She felt like he was trying to make eye contact, but she just kept staring up at the stars. She wasn’t in the mood.

“Yeah, you can hold in a lot of pressure, that’s for sure.”

That got her glare over at him, and yes, he was trying to make eye contact. He had that concerned expression on, too. She had a funny feeling he was going to recommend she look into therapy. That was the one thing that bothered her about these conversations.

“I am fine.”

“Yeah I know you’re not gonna crack or anything. Still worry about you, though. You’ve dealt with more bullshit than is healthy-”

“For anyone,” she interrupted. “Yes, we’ve been through this before. And yet, there are countless people who’d kill for a position of wealth and affluence like mine.”

“Not if they had to put up with your old man… Or any of the other old men, for that matter.”

“My father is dead. He doesn't matter anymore. He has no power over anyone.

“Yeah?” He rolled up his sleeve and showed her a scar on his inner arm. She’d seen it before in the summer, but hadn’t pried. “I got this from an ‘ol fearow back home when I was younger. Bugger’s surely dead by now, but I still got the scar.”

“Of course you do. What does that have to do wi- Oh.” She sighed, then ended up laughing despite finding it trite. “That’s what you’re getting at?” He laughed back.

A moment passed. It felt uncomfortably serious. Some nights she could talk about her past freely, lost feelings flowing through there like a stream. Tonight wasn’t one of those nights. She wasn’t angry at the world, she didn’t feel spiteful or even bitter. Just… tired.

What more was there to say? They’d been talking for over a year now. All words on the subject had been exhausted.

“You ever need to get away from all this, let me know. I still got a place on Melemele. Wouldn’t have to worry about any of this anymore.”

She scoffed. “And leave the Foundation to crumble in the vacuum I’d leave behind. Goodness knows, it’s the only thing I’ve ever actually bettered the world with.”

“Would you be happier?”

She knew what her answer would be if she could say it, but all she could do was sigh. As long as I still had you there…

She couldn’t say that, though. It would be an admittance of how emotionally close she’d allowed herself to grow to him. Closer than professionals. Her father would loathe it. His nightmare, his daughter taking power, then ending up tied down in feelings.

She shouldn’t care. There was nothing he could do from the grave. Yet, silent she remained. Perhaps she did have a scar in her head after all…

He wrapped an arm around her. “You don’t have to say anything.”

This one is based on an old character and world of mine. Dunno how it'll stand up without that context.

The Human Heart 02: Heart of Bittercold

Only a human could stand against a force of negativity like the Bittercold. Artemis knew that. It was the reason why that eluded her. What made her any different from any other zoroark?

The Voice of Life called them there in numbers, sure each one would be able to stand against the winds of despair if only they could reach it. Sure that they were the only ones who could.

She couldn’t fault him for accuracy. It worked. Not one, but two humans lived and stood against the Bittercold. They hadn’t been the only ones there, not even the only ones to reach the final chamber. The winds of despair, though, could only be withstood by the two of them.

That night was one of many where these thoughts held her awake. She stared through the window at the stars above, listened to the gentle breathing of the servine beside her. Sleep still evaded her.

She’d asked the Voice of Life before. The answer was uncharacteristically simple: He thought humans were resistant to negativity. She knew that to be false.

She sighed...

It didn’t matter anymore. The Bittercold was destroyed. History. Why couldn’t she just let the subject rest?

Something about the answer bothered her, though. It got under her sk- her pelt in a way she just couldn’t dislodge. It just couldn’t be true that she was resistant to negativity. Sly could be, maybe, but not her.

She thought back to her time with Kyurem’s group. The time she’d been willing to let the world freeze over so she wouldn't be forced to go back. She decided she’d rather rest, frozen forever beneath the ice than face her human life.

And with that thought, she’d reopened her Pandora’s Box of compartmentalized memories.

One night, her hidden clothes disappeared without explanation.

A business card on the table from a pastor she’d never heard of. She googled his name, and found a site offering “counselling.” Not the kind she’d ever willingly go to.

That meant they knew. She’d been found out.

They never mentioned it, though. She was too ashamed to mention it herself.

Then, one night, a dream. Someone in another world wished for help. She didn’t know what the details were, didn’t care. It got her out of there.

Never stood a chance of succeeding, though. Once Kyurem found her, she knew there would be no more running. They would destroy her new body. Would send her back.

She begged. A deal was struck.

She didn’t count it as killing, really. They were all humans, they just went up in light and went back home to their families. Families who would love them… Or so she hoped.

She needed to be here more than they did.

Until, one night, she’d failed. Badly. The human had ensnared her in his vines.

And forgiven her. Stupid. She didn’t deserve it.

He asked her what her name was. She became “Artemis.” His was Sylvester. He went by Sly.

He talked to her. About the human world, about human things.

She told him. He was okay with it.

After all she’d endured, she’d found a place she’d felt safe. A paradise.

Perhaps what hadn’t killed her had left her stronger. Resistant.

Was that the answer?

It was satisfying. It clicked with the question like a key clicking in a lock. Her thoughts were no longer held down by it. She could rest.

This was intended as a lead-in to a story about a human ending up in their world. I'll have to write that part later. The people who originally did this deserve their reputation, it's the humans who end up there after that don't.

The Human Heart 03: Undeserved Reputation

Ages ago, the boundary between our world and one far apart were torn apart.

Through the rifts, machines as we had never seen them before emerged.

They tore from our world it's greatest parts. Dense forests, rich mountains lost.

In vain, we fought, though ever more would always take their place.

Only when our greatest natural treasures were stolen did our battles end.

We who survived in places left untouched swore an oath:

We will not forget.

The boundary of our worlds still shudders in pain from the damage done.

At times, one of their kind will fall through the cracks, left for us to find.

We will not forget the danger they bring. The blight on our world they are.

They must not be allowed to live in this place.

Last edited:

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Hey there, here for Catnip. I read all three drabbles, but felt that I could only really say anything about the first one.

It is somewhat unfortunate that chance assigned me in particular to this drabble collection as I personally happen to really dislike Lusamine, but I'm gonna try my best not to let that affect my feedback.

So I think this drabble did a very good job at characterizing the two leads despite the short time it had. Granted, I know the gist of the canon counterparts of both, but here they feel deeper and more authentic, partly thanks to the immersing narration, too. As the people feel real, so do their emotions, and this bonding feels meaningful.

Mohn catching up on Lusamine's hinting towards workplace sexism was kind of surprising considering her wording being very vague - it took reading further for me to understand - but I suppose having been there helps.

Lastly, I may have spotted an error:
You’re more experienced, and they don’t know you’re like to deal with yet.
"they don't know what you're like"?

Top Bottom