• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Wandering

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
The Foolish Oddish
foolish_oddish_cover_tr.jpeg

Warnings: None
Feedback Preferences: I love all feedback, and I adore constructive criticism!
Author's Notes: Welcome to "The Foolish Oddish," a one-shot that got a bit overgrown and which is presented here as a short chapterfic instead. This story came about because I almost never see PMD fic that gives much attention to "feral" pokémon that live in dungeons; in a lot of stories they're little more than obstacles for the heroes to overcome, or in some cases even lunch! I thought it would be fun to explore the idea of what life might be like inside a mystery dungeon. I hope you enjoy what I came up with!

Part One: Wandering

The first thing my parents taught me was leaving. In words, yes, in stories, but in point of fact as well. Forty sleeps we were together, my siblings and I, rooted beside a stream while our parents told us all the tales any oddish needs to know. They were long sleeps, my parents taking turns, speaking until they grew hoarse. There was much to tell, and who knew how much time to tell it in.

Their most important lesson was: all life is letting go. In a world like ours, you can make peace with endings, or they will end you in turn.

One sibling fell into a trap and vanished; another fled before an angry shieldon, down a staircase and into another life. My mother was caught in a confuse ray and staggered off to vanish, no matter how we called for her. And then I was the one to go, separated from the rest by a dungeon shift. I didn't even realize what had happened until I looked up from drinking to find no one on the bank above me. A low tangle of brush had slid in when I wasn't looking, and my family was as likely to be on the opposite side of the floor as anywhere. I was on my own, and maybe I would see the others again, or maybe I would not.

I was ready. My parents had taught me well, and I knew how to let go. It was time to find my own stories. And soon enough, no more than a hundred sleeps, perhaps, one found me.

"Helloooo down there!" The voice was small and far-off, almost too high-pitched to hear. I stopped and looked. There was a zubat swooping overhead. It wasn't uncommon to meet a zubat, for they tended to fly at the same time that a weed might wander.

The zubat arced down to rest on an overhanging branch. "Hello, hello," he said again. "Tell me a story!"

What else would he be wanting? Uninjured, apparently not hungry or thirsty--food spoils, water sours, and what good is treasure you can't carry? The only thing worth trading is what lives in your head, which even the dungeon can never take from you. Stories are what all pokémon gather, the true wealth of a life lived wandering. And oddish know all the best stories, of course, for who wanders farther than the wandering weed?

"You first," I said imperiously. I wasn't some story-dispenser to be hallooed by just anyone. If the bat wanted what I knew, he'd better be prepared to offer something good.

The zubat let out a hiss of air, maybe an exclamation above my hearing. Bats conversed amongst themselves sometimes, speech too high-pitched for a weed to hear even if she was standing right there. I suspected they kept their best stories for themselves. "I'll tell you half of one," the bat decided. "And after I hear yours, if it's good, I'll tell the rest. Deal?"

I rocked back and forth, considering. My feet were beginning to itch with thirst, but I could put off finding water for now. "Deal," I finally agreed.

The zubat's mouth gaped soundlessly, what I imagined was a pleased noise beyond my comprehension. "That's easy, then. This dungeon doesn't go on forever. Down at the bottom there's a cave."

"What's a cave?"

The zubat rustled his wings in annoyance. "That's the other half."

Disappointing. All of my stories were good, of course, and I didn't want to trade one just for that, but neither did I want to be left with the sour note of that poor part-story. I hoped the second half was better.

In trade I told one of my least favorites, the story of the foolish oddish. The zubat's wide ears tilted as he listened.

Once there was an oddish who found a treasure, a hunk of rock that shone like the sun itself. He kept it with him always, carried it in his mouth, set it gently aside to speak, picked it up again right after. And he found as little cause as possible to speak. The foolish oddish kept his treasure with him floor after floor, through one fight after the next, for there were many pokémon who wanted to fight him, to steal his precious stone. But he prevailed, and he kept his stone, and all was well enough.

Until he found another stone. Green and mossy, velvet to the touch like a new-sprouted leaf. He coveted it immediately, but had no way to carry it beside his beloved golden stone. Yet he could not bear to leave it. Even less could he choose between them, the most beautiful treasures the dungeon had ever offered. So instead he sat with both, gazing first at one, then the other, unable to decide. He sat until his leaves wilted and his skin shriveled, until finally thirst took him and he perished, a dried husk with neither treasure to his name.

The zubat listened intently until I reached the end, then let out a small squeak of appreciation. "Foolish oddish indeed! How terrible it must be for you, needing stones to make your changes."

"The dungeon provides," I said stiffly. At least we could change, not like the klefki or the seviper, cursed forever with the form to which they were born. "The rest of your story, now."

The zubat chirped, delighted. "Of course! At the bottom of this dungeon is a cave. A cave is a dark place. It's like you've crawled underground. Because you have! You can't see the sun at all! But that's not the best part. In the cave..." He swept out his wings, letting the silence stretch dramatically. "In the cave, there's a portal to the outside world!"

After a second, when it seemed that would be all, I said, "That's not a story."

"What do you mean? Of course it's a story!"

"There weren't any people in it. And nothing happened! If nothing happens, it's not a story, it's just a fact!"

"Fine. If you think it's a fact, then it's still the best fact," the zubat said haughtily. "That's more than a good enough trade."

Not good enough for me. "I'm going to find some water," I announced.

The zubat followed me, high overhead. He swooped down to snatch an oran berry off the ground; he grabbed a wand and entertained himself for a few minutes, letting off bursts of swirling sparks. I ignored him, because after all he wouldn't be able to follow forever. I knew where the nearest staircase was; if I wanted, I could leave. Or I could bury myself and go to sleep, and then the bat would get bored and leave on his own.

Three turns to find a pond, and nothing much to bother me on the way. The dungeon's upper floors were mostly young pokémon and the kind of people who craved company. If you didn't care for other people, if you wanted room to yourself, that's when you'd go down deep. Or so my parents said. I'd ventured a few floors down, daring it like children do, determined to prove I wasn't scared, but I'd made no serious attempt to chance the depths. Wasn't meeting people the entire point?

The pond was as clear and refreshing as every other. I stood and drank, submerged almost up to my eyes, while the zubat clung upside-down to a branch grown over the water. "Fine," he said. "If that wasn't enough of a story for you, I'll tell you another. Will that make you happy?"

I saw no point in answering. I wasn't pleased at having been cheated out of a story, but it wasn't like another pointless fact was going to do anything for me, either.

The zubat started anyway. "Once, a long time ago, there was only one zubat. And he was huge! His wings blocked out the moon, and no one could challenge him for rulership of the sky. He was so great and so powerful that the other creatures of the night grew jealous, and at last they set upon, all at once, and tore him into pieces. Each piece became a new zubat, but much smaller than before, and weaker, too. That's how the first colony came to be! But even though each individual zubat was weak, together they had the same amount of power as the first bat himself! They ganged up on those jealous pokémon and drove them all away. So that's why you need to stay with the colony. A zubat alone is weak, but together, we're strong. We protect each other!"

"You're not with the colony now," I pointed out.

"No," the zubat said. Then it was quiet, for such a long time that even I was uncomfortable.

I waded back to shore, shaking droplets from my leaves. A story of the moon. My parents told me that the world outside knew a "night" when the sun hid its face and we would emerge from the earth, refreshed from soaking up the day's light and prepared to go exploring.

Hard even to imagine the sky without a sun. Was it dark? Oh, very dark, my parents answered. Darker even than the shade of a full, dense tree. So dark that the bats lost their eyes, for there was nothing to be seen with them.

"If you knew actually good stories, why didn't you start with one of those?" I asked. If anything, it only felt more like the zubat had been wasting my time.

The zubat's jaw hung slack, and I imagined another high-pitched cry emitting from it. "But that one is good! The best! It's a way out of this dungeon. What could be better than that?"

"Why would you want to leave the dungeon?"

The zubat folded his wings around his body. A strange gesture. It might have made more sense if I had wings myself, or even arms. "Aren't you an oddish? The wandering weed?" he asked. "I thought you would want to find new places. Experience new things. There's a whole world outside the dungeon. Don't you want to explore it?"

"The oddish came here long ago. They knew they'd be giving up the world outside to do it. Moonlight and all our green cousins, the plants with leaves like us instead of all the red and orange ones around here."

"What's green?" the zubat asked, but I hurried on with my answer.

"They knew what they would give up, and they chose to come here anyway. I don't think they were probably right, and the dungeon is big enough for me. I could never live long enough to see all of it, or hear all its stories."

The zubat made a dismayed peep. And that was it. It seemed he intended to stay there in that tree, looking mopey. "I don't know," I said at last. "I haven't heard much about life outside the dungeon. But you must have. Tell me?"

The zubat didn't smile, precisely. What can't see doesn't know how to smile. But he shuffled his wings and squeaked to himself in what had to be delight. "You drive a hard bargain," he said. "I'm Elkesiss, by the way."

"Ragweed," I replied. And for some time after that we stayed there on the bank of the stream, trading stories, until there was no more stream and no more zubat, and it was time for me to move on again.

--​

The world changes, my parents always said, and I would change, too. But an oddish only gets two changes, at most, to insure her against life's turmoil. Use them wisely, my parents said. Time them well.

Oddish is the wandering weed, the one all hope to meet, the one who finds the best stories. But no one can wander forever. Even an oddish who wants to stay as they are, small and vulnerable and beset by wanderlust, can't put off their change forever. Better to choose when you change, my parents always told me. Better to choose than to resist until it takes you whenever, wherever, despite your unwillingness.

I could feel my first change coming. I'd ranged up and down the dungeon's floors, met many other travelers, strangers and friends alike. Now and again I encountered one of my siblings and passed a pleasant time with them. Once, even, my mother and I found each other again, and we spent many happy sleeps in storytelling before the dungeon shifted and separated us once more.

I tricked ghosts and stole keys; I outran shieldon and laughed along with igglybuff; and I stayed up far, far past when sleep tried to take me to visit prinplup down at the water's edge. I learned story on story, and made a few of my own as well. I did as my parents taught me and saw all there was to see, and as the pressure to change grew ever stronger, I held out, waiting for my moment. Waiting, trusting that I would know the right time when it came, though the itch of banked power made my leaves curl and my feet prickle with ungrown roots. I started fights and kicked stones and stalked furiously up and down floors, seeking my moment. I didn't learn much in that time, in retrospect--perhaps I should have made my change earlier. What a different life I'd have if I did!

It doesn't matter. I did hold my change, and one day I did find a togepi, an incorrigible berry-hog, who ran off wailing when I dusted his precious treats with toxic spores. I was enjoying my newfound stash when a togekiss descended, howling about how dare I harm her baby. Who wasn't even harmed, I thought indignantly at the time, only watching smugly from the corridor, satisfied of his revenge.

My change burned in me, lending acid to my mood, but none yet to my attacks. I had little recourse but to run, but not before releasing a cloud of powder that would leave the togekiss nauseous and shivering for hours.

And so when I heard wings I was thinking first of the togekiss and whether she was really so spiteful as to follow me, even poisoned, even if it meant leaving her precious son behind. But they were too soft, the wingbeats, and with them came a squeaking. Zubat. I relaxed as much as I ever could before an unknown pokémon, one who might as easily be foe as friend.

I was not reassured when the zubat dove for me, screeching. But he pulled up well above my head, chirping delightedly. "It's you! Hi hi! Do you remember me?"

"I've met a lot of zubat," I hazarded.

"But it's me! Elkesiss!"

Zubat names flee the mind as easily as water slides off a leaf.

"I told you about the outside! Remember, remember?"

Ah. Now that was better. A story's much easier to recall than a name. "I do," I said, and the zubat rolled and looped-the-loop, squealing all the while. "I'm surprised you're still here. Did you find out your 'cave' wasn't real?"

"I don't know!" Elkesiss alighted on a tall, rust-leafed bush. "I haven't been able to make it all the way down there. The dungeon's deep! It goes down and down!"

"People say the dungeon goes on forever," I said.

"Well, they're wrong," Elkesiss said with absolute conviction.

"What makes you so sure?"

The zubat whined and scratched at his chin with a claw. "It makes sense, doesn't it? There's a world outside of this one. Everybody says that, don't they?"

"Yes, of course. I don't see how that means there has to be a way out of here, though." My parents had told me, at least, everything our dungeon had that the world beyond it didn't: eternal sunlight, golden and slanted. Leaves poised to fall but never falling, carpeting the ground without having dropped. Cool shadows and cooler streams, air ever balanced on the edge of chill. Other pokémon had their own tales, often strange but consistent enough that I had to believe them, like those of the "moon" in Elkesiss' story. Some were surely fancy, though, like those about water so cold it turned solid.

"Well, people had to get here somehow!" Elkesiss said. "We all came from somewhere else, didn't we? We didn't come from the dungeon itself." I rustled a few leaves. That was probably right enough. "Then there must be a door somewhere! A way in is also a way out!"

"Maybe it's gone now. Everything changes. Or are you really expecting a door to stay in the same place forever?"

Elkesiss could muster nothing more than a plaintive hiss. "Even if the stairs move around, they're still there."

A fair enough point. I rustled my leaves again, releasing a few spores. I didn't have time to speculate about a non-story that probably wasn't even true. "It was good to see you again," I lied. "But I'm in a hurry."

Elkesiss followed behind, not to my surprise. "I've been looking for the way out," he said, "but I haven't been able to go more than twenty, maybe twenty-five floors!"

Much deeper than I'd ever been. "I thought you were supposed to stay with your colony. Did the whole colony go down that far?"

"No! There's a colony on every floor. That's what makes it a good system! You might not get to stay with anyone very long, but there's always someone there for you."

How strange zubat were. I had no quarrel with other oddish, but I didn't mind being alone, either.

Elkesiss followed overhead as I trotted along the bank of a stream carrying red-gold leaves deeper into the dungeon. Warm light dazzled from clear, racing water. "Almost every floor," the bat amended quietly. "The deeper you go, the fewer people there are. On some floors there weren't any other bats at all! Or only one or two, and no zubat like me." His mouth hung open in a silent scream. "It was scary."

"I guess you're never going to find your 'cave,' then."

"I could go deeper," Elkesiss said, "if I had somebody to go with me."

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize what he meant. "You want me to go with you," I said, turning so fast that golden spores puffed into the air around me.

Elkesiss alighted on a branch with just one crinkled leaf still clinging to it. He tucked and untucked his wings, rubbed nervously at an ear. "Well, yes!" he said. "Just think about it! You'd go farther than you ever have! You'd meet all kinds of new people! And learn all kinds of new things. Plus--you'd get to see the outside!"

I didn't think there was much chance of that, but I entertained the idea. At least for one daydreamy minute. "I know a lot of stories already," I mused aloud.

"I'll bet you do! And you could find even more if you went down to the bottom of the dungeon. Just think about it! Not a lot of people up here talk to the pokémon down there. I bet they've got stories we couldn't even think of! You probably know all the good ones that people tell around here already."

"New stories happen every day. I'm never going to run out." All the same, Elkesiss' offer was like something out of a story itself. When else would I be asked to do something so crazy? I barely knew Elkesiss, wasn't sure I liked him much, but there was an excitement just in hearing someone spout such crazy plans.

I'd paused to think, but the itching of my change was building, urging me as ever to start walking, to leave, to move anywhere, anything. I pursed my lips and tried to concentrate. "I don't know. Do you--"

Elkesiss cut me off. "Something's coming," he said, big ears swivelling.

It took a couple seconds, but then I could hear it, too, a steady thwoomp-thwoomp of wings.

That crazy togekiss. She'd really followed me all the way here? "Go!" I growled, my change building to a steady burning beneath my skin. "That's a togekiss, and I bet she doesn't care who gets in her way!" I took off as fast as I could, making a bid for the stairs. No good trying to hide; my glossy green leaves would always give me away.

"Wait! Don't go!" Elkesiss cried, but his squeaks were drowned out by a shout of, "There you are!"

I ran as fast as my feet would take me, which wasn't very fast at all, even back then. Scything wind knocked me down and shredded a leaf, but I was up and going again a second later, sap dripping into my eyes.

"Leave her alone!" Elkesiss dropped down from above, toothy mouth clamping the tip of the togekiss' wing.

I stopped running then. Stupid, but I was transfixed. I couldn't believe that a zubat of all people would come to my aid.

The togekiss screeched, flapped twice, hard, and knocked Elkesiss tumbling free. She rounded on him and slammed him into the ground with bursts of air and glittering light.

It was hard for me to think at all just then, but what I felt was that there was no way--no way Elkesiss could escape from a pokémon like that. I couldn't, either, if I didn't leave while she was distracted. The stairs weren't far, if they were where I'd left them, and going just one floor down would put me beyond the togekiss' reach.

But I couldn't be that cowardly, I couldn't, not when Elkesiss had tried to save me. Even if it had been stupid. I yelled and ran forward before I could think twice, leaping for the togekiss and letting the change take me at the same time. It was all over in a burst of light and heat--one second an oddish, throwing herself hopelessly into battle. The next a togekiss reeling away, dripping spores and acid, yelling about revenge.

Elkesiss was left lying like a crumpled leaf, exotic blue amidst the reds and yellows and browns. There was an oran berry not far up the corridor, and I brought it back for him with my arms. Arms! I flexed them in front of my face, reached up to feel my new flower. It was so strange to pick something up without tasting it.

"Thank you," Elkesiss said weakly. Berry or not he was rumpled, fur mussed by wind and blood.

"You shouldn't have attacked that Togekiss. What were you thinking?"

"I couldn't just do nothing," Elkesiss said with a whistling breath like a whine. "And you--you were amazing! You changed!" He beat his wings in excitement, though he didn't lift off from the ground. "We should go! We should look for the way out of the dungeon! You're strong enough to fight anybody we could find down there."

I'd used my first change to save this stupid zubat, and all he could think about was his nonsense plan. "I'm a gloom now. Gloom don't travel as well as oddish. We need to spend more time rooted so we can get everything we need to make our poisons. If you'd wanted me to go with you, you shouldn't have made me have to fight. Oddish are the ones who love to wander, not gloom."

Elkesiss raised his crumpled wings. "More time rooted isn't no time walking! And you're stronger now. That's a good trade-off. You can still come with me, don't worry."

Acid churned in my stomach, belched out in toxic spores. "Go back to your colony," I said. "I'm not babysitting you."

I left Elkesiss on the ground, healed but in no mood for flight. The stairs hadn't gone far, and I took two floors down, just in case. The dungeon shifted behind me, and there was no chance a togekiss could follow. Or a zubat, for that matter. The dungeon had taken them away. The dungeon was good for that. Always changing. Always taking things away, the good and the bad both.

--​

As an oddish I couldn't imagine that I'd ever want to stop wandering. I told myself I'd remain the same, no matter how my body changed. But wandering was tiring. It was nice, sometimes, to stay rooted in place, enjoy the sun and the water for as long as the dungeon would let you before it warped and left you sitting in the middle of a gang of irritable gastly.

I wandered less. I lingered on floors. And I began to get to know, just a little, the pokémon around me. The dungeon would separate us, yes, again and again, but rarely immediately. There was no need to be hasty, barter stories and move on. I played chess with pawniard and fetched with snubbull, danced with clefairy and meditated with nosepass, completely still while the world changed around me. I learned more than their stories; I learned how they lived, what they wondered about, what they thought their lives would be in this ever-changing world.

I even spoke with bats now and again, though it was rare for them to leave their colony. At first I thought nothing of it when a golbat dropped out of the sky. I simply stayed where I was, photosynthesizing and waiting to see what the stranger wanted.

Then, "it's you!" the stranger cried in what was somehow a bass screech, and I knew him all too well.

"Elkesiss."

"I changed!" he said, spreading his wings as though I might somehow have missed it. "I can see! That's why it took so long to find you. It's confusing. Everything sounds different, and seeing at the same time is so distracting."

"Wonderful." The dungeon certainly had a sense of humor. It would steal your dearest from you forever and keep bringing you back to the people you least wanted to see. "I suppose you're here to ask me about leaving the dungeon? Now that you're stronger?"

"That's right!" Even with eyes, Elkesiss still got facial expressions wrong. His smile was all in his voice.

"I'm going to stay where I am. Stop bothering me."

"I thought you would probably say that," Elkesiss said, and now his tone was wistful. "So I brought something else. A story. A long story. It will take more than one sleep to tell. A lot more. You'll have to come with me if you want to hear all of it."

"Where did you ever find a story like that?"

Elkesiss' laugh was low enough for me to hear now, a series of rollicking, piercing squeals. "The colony trades stories all the time. We collect all the best ones. And I've visited more colonies than most."

If there was one downside to staying put, it was that before long you heard the same stories over and over. Oh, there were minor differences, whether from forgetfulness or invention, but it had been some time since I'd heard something truly new, a story that gripped me.

Not that I would ever, under any circumstances, consider taking on some insane plan to leave the dungeon when all I needed was to move a couple floors down to find new tales. I'd left that nonsense behind with my younger form.

What reckless pokémon zubat were. Imagine telling stories that took multiple sleeps to finish. What if the dungeon separated tale-teller and listener before all could be told through? It happened often enough. Where would the listener be then, stuck with their ever-unfinished tale?

"Forgive me if I'm skeptical that your story's as good as you claim," I said.

Elkesiss squeaked. "I wouldn't expect you to believe me without hearing it for yourself. How about this--I'll tell you the first part now, and if you want to hear more, you can follow me to the next floor. You can follow me for as long as you want to hear more."

"Okay," I said after a long moment of contemplation. "Go ahead."

There was no story good enough to convince me to leave the dungeon, but I was intrigued despite myself. Just what did Elkesiss have that he thought was so amazing? I'd listen to the first part, then tell him to get lost.

Elkesiss let out a flurry of excited squeaks and chatters and then, at last, he began. His was a story of gods, pokémon so powerful they could reshape the world around them. They could make the dungeon shift however they chose, or even make it stop shifting, if they wanted. Like all pokémon, they fought, and their battles were so terrible that hundreds of pokémon perished in them, drowned or burned or frozen from the clashing of their energies. There once was an araquanid whose precious children were killed in the midst of the gods' battles, every single one of them.

"Araquanid?"

Elkesiss made a long, whining hiss. "Like a dustox with no wings and longer legs and their head stuck in a bubble all the time."

The araquanid looked down on the bodies of her slain children and cursed the gods. She would see to it that no other would live to see this, their family slain in the idle squabbles of creatures with no care for those below them.

But she would need power to challenge the gods, power earned, borrowed, or stolen. And so this araquanid began to plan.

"Stupid," I announced. "The world takes your children from you. That's just how it goes."

"Not in the world outside," Elkesiss said with quiet conviction.

I scoffed. Gods, too. We didn't have those in the dungeon. Some pokémon far more powerful than others, yes, ancient bastiodon and terrifying gengar, but none so powerful that they could alter the world itself. We were all of us subject to the dungeon's fickle changes. It was hard to imagine someone who could make stairs appear wherever they wished, who might even be able to yank back the shifting dungeon, keep someone with them, always. But gods were one thing the stories seemed to agree existed in the world outside.

"What was this araquanid's plan, then?"

A long, whistling breath from Elkesiss. "I think that part needs to wait until after a sleep, don't you?"

It was true I was thirsty, roots itching for the touch of cool water. Tired, too.

Elkesiss was watching me, ears perked, making intermittent small peeps. So sure he'd caught my interest. It wasn't that good a story. Nothing that would make me follow someone to dungeon's end.

I got to my feet. I'd find water, then sleep. And then... Well, I had been feeling bored. There was no harm in traveling a couple floors down and listening to as much of Elkesiss' story as that would get me.

"Very well," I said. I tried to ignore Elkesiss' delighted squeaks. "When we wake."

Last edited:
Rooting

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Author's Notes: Part two! The shortest section of the story. I hope you enjoyed the little fic-within-a-fic here. I'll be back next week with the final part!

Part Two: Rooting

The araquanid knew she couldn't hope to defy the gods on her own. It was no good throwing her life away in pointless revenge, and she was far from the only person the gods had wronged. She traveled for a time in the gods' wake, visiting grieving families, refugees fleeing shattered homes. Do you imagine so many were eager to join her? Of course not. Who could hope to stand against creatures who could rend open the sky, could bend time itself into strange and novel shapes?

There weren't many, then, but there were some. Over months and years the araquanid's followers grew, the desperate and the mad and the merely passionate, pokémon weak and strong alike who had wearied of the gods' tyranny, who had lost too much to have any care for what they might lose yet. Many were worthy of stories in their own right: the darmanitan who forded a vast river to warn the araquanid of a god's approach; the glimmet who flew across deserts and oceans alike to seek more followers for her cause; the eye-crowned braviary who sacrificed herself to carve a path through a blizzard that might have killed the araquanid's followers entire.

There were tales there, yes, tales within tales within tales. Elkesiss didn't go wandering down those side paths, hewing close to the araquanid herself, but assured me there were more stories here to be told, if I wanted to hear them.

I did, I supposed, whenever Elkesiss' grand tale had been completed. I'd fallen into a comfortable routine: waking to exhume myself and photosynthesize until Elkesiss was ready to set out; traversing the floor, looking for the next set of stairs, the next way down; when sleep began to drag at my feet, settling down beside water somewhere to root and listen to the next chapter of Elkesiss' story. I still told myself that I'd leave after the next floor, the next sleep, the next twist or turn of the araquanid's exploits. But truth be told, it wasn't even the story drawing me along, not anymore.

Traveling with Elkesiss was different than wandering alone. I can't pretend I enjoyed the regular chatter, especially not at first, but who doesn't appreciate an ally in a fight? And while there were certain pokémon who didn't take well to Elkesiss' enthusiasm, he asked such questions as I never would have thought to--about the flavors of the legendary sweets that appeared in all the slurpuff's stories, whether each gear in a klingklang had its own name. He tried to sing with the bastiodon, whose tales were all composed to the tune of ringing metal, and returned dropped klefki keys. It was exasperating, sometimes, how he liked to get into others' business, but in time I came to enjoy this different sort of travel.

I'd wandered in my youth, but I'd been a flighty thing, as preoccupied with mischief as I was a good story. Now I began to appreciate that while we all lived in the same dungeon, no two of us were truly part of the same world. It was the same as the way that no two travelers found themselves on the same dungeon floor, though all the pieces of it, the bushes and the trees and the items and the streams, were identical, only iterated on, over and over, in endless variation.

The deeper I went, the deeper I wanted to go. The people changed as we went down and down, and the stories they told, too. The dungeon changed as well, of course--in some ways. See enough copper-leafed groves and you start to imagine they repeat. Hadn't I seen this stump shaped like a cascoon before? That particular pattern of fallen leaves brushed something deep in my memory. No matter how deep we traveled, how many dead ends and lopsided clearings and snaking corridors we saw, there were echoes of other places everywhere we turned, like old friends returned in new guise.

In time I began to see patterns even in the dungeon's other people: here a greedy one, there one vain. One generous, one quiet--even another Elkesiss, this one a marill, horrifying and fascinating as it was. The same hearts wearing different faces, telling different stories in infinite variation built from the same age-old pieces: the young one's quest, the unrequited love, the tragic downfall.

Just before sleep I'd sit and listen to the trickle of water burbling beneath Elkesiss' hissing words and imagine where it all flowed off to, where it might carry me if I stepped in--somewhere new, somewhere strange, and yet somewhere intimately familiar all the same. The dungeon surrounded us. The dungeon would always be there, ever-changing, eternal.

--​

The araquanid suffered countless travails in her grand quest. At last she gathered enough strength that, with her followers, she was able to drive off one of the gods. For a time it seemed she might have peace, her children's killer banished. But as word spread and the other gods heard what she'd accomplished, they agreed that no mortal could be allowed to challenge one of their own and live. Now it was the gods' turn to set aside their squabbling and join together to slay the pokémon who'd brought down one of their own.

It seemed Araquanid's troubles were endless, as were the paths ahead of me. "How many floors do you suppose there are?" I asked Elkesiss one day.

"I don't know. Fifty, one hundred... it must be a lot."

"What will you do if it never ends? If you go down and down and only find more floors?"

From the way Elkesiss' mouth hung open, I knew he must be making noise, even though I couldn't hear it. It was rare for him to make such high-pitched sounds in those days, and he'd nearly mastered his smile. "I don't know. I suppose I'd never find out. I'd just keep going down and down, thinking maybe the next floor would be the last one, until I couldn't anymore."

"You wouldn't ever give up?"

Elkesiss made a chitter-bright laugh and gave his wings a hearty flap. "Not me! I've wanted to find a way out of here ever since I learned there was another place to be."

I didn't think I'd ever understand him. "You wouldn't miss the dungeon?"

"I meet new friends everywhere I go! I wouldn't be lonely!"

And that, I supposed, was that.

--​

With the gods united against it, Araquanid's alliance was soon broken. Faithful friends perished. The gods spread their destruction wider than ever, punishing all the world for harboring those who would defy them. Driven into hiding, how could the araquanid hope to turn the tide? Even if she united all the mortal pokémon of the world, would it be enough to break the gods' power?

It seemed unlikely, after how thoroughly she'd been defeated. The only ones strong enough to defy the gods seemed to be the gods themselves. Which offered a new avenue, perhaps: was there any god who might turn against their fellows? Could any be convinced to stand on the side of mortals? And even if the araquanid could find one, could she ever truly trust them?

I would never know the answer, for I woke one day to find Elkesiss gone. So was the stream I'd rooted myself by, and the berry bush. The dungeon had taken them all away.

I'd known this would happen, of course. I'd been ready for it from the start. I knew what to do next: shake the dirt from my roots, choose a direction, and start off again.

There were other stories to distract me from the unfinished tale. I was deep in the dungeon now, and there were few other pokémon about, but those there were were older, wiser. They held many stories won over the courses of long lives. And for each of these I had something wonderful to trade: many stories of an araquanid, episodes in a larger tale, each with something to offer in its own right.

I was sad to have lost Elkesiss, of course--he and the end of his tale both. But I was used to people leaving. I knew better than to hold on too tight. Besides, his echoes were all around me, in familiar-seeming snatches of stories, in the smiles and laughs of strangers, in the dungeon itself, offering the bitter berries only he would eat, leaving his favorite kinds of wands strewn in the grass.

There were even zubat here, and golbat, too. This floor had its own colony, if a small one. Now and again it passed overhead, fluttering and squeaking and ignoring me completely. It wasn't long before I learned to think nothing of the sound of wingbeats.

That's why I didn't turn when I heard them behind me. That's why I flinched when their owner went shooting past, much too close for comfort. It took me a moment to recognize the rhythm of the sound, the missing tooth Elkesiss had lost biting down on a prinplup that had gotten too familiar.

"It's you," I said, dumbfounded. What were the chances the dungeon would bring us together again, again-again?

"Of course it's me!" Elkesiss said, just at the upper edge of my hearing, his frequency elevated by delight. "I've been looking all over for you!"

"The dungeon brought us together," I stammered, not even sure what I was saying.

Elkesiss chattered a laugh. "With some help from me! I told you the colony can cover more ground than any one bat, and I was asking around myself. And you were looking too, right?"

"We have to let go," I said mechanically. "The dungeon does what it will."

Elkesiss' wings drooped, and for a moment he was utterly silent. "You didn't even try?"

"Why don't we pick up where we left off?" I said after a long, uncomfortable pause.

"Yes," Elkesiss said after a moment. "Yes, where were we?"

--​

There was one god, at least, with no love for their fellows. One god fallen, cursed and as forgotten as the pantheon could manage. The fallen had found a realm of their own, but it was prison as much as domain, and they were lonely with naught but their empty land for company. With their brethren presiding over life, they could deal only in life's opposite and create no companions of their own.

This was the bargain the fallen god would strike with the araquanid: she and her followers would join them in their backwards world. The pokémon would be safe there, protected, beyond the reach of the pantheon that sought their ruin. In exchange for their company, the fallen one would offer everything they had to bring down the other gods, for they hated their kin perhaps even more than the araquanid herself.

But the fallen had never been equal to the gods united; after all, the pantheon had driven them from the living world once before. The araquanid's mortal followers were not enough to tip the balance in the fallen one's favor. Once again the araquanid was left seeking answers, more power, another way to fight. She could not give up, not, not with all the gods had taken from her. She would not falter, for her own sake... or the sake of those who had put their faith in her. She searched, and... searched and searched...

Elkesiss trailed off, then leapt from his perch, wings hammering. I looked up sharply, braced for attack. We'd been pushing hard to find the stairs; there was a florges about who'd decided we were fun to torment and who might be following yet.

Elkesiss flew messy circles overhead, his wheezy squeaks of distress faint and trembling. "I, I don't know what happens next!" he screeched.

I stared. "You forgot the rest?" Not even once had Elkesiss failed to recall part of a story.

"No, I, I." Elkesiss let out a stream of chatters and clicks that must have meant something to bats. "I was making it up!" he cried at last in a despairing tone.

"Making it up?" It took a moment for the full impact of his words to reach me. "You mean it isn't real? This whole time you've just been saying whatever comes into your head?"

Elkesiss landed on the ground beside me, wings hunched and head low. "Well, sort of, a little. I mean, there are a lot of stories about the gods, and the fallen one, and everything like that, but most of it, well..." He gave one great beat of his wings, accompanied by a hiss of sheer frustration. "How is the araquanid supposed to defeat the gods, all of them? I don't know! It's impossible!"

"Maybe she doesn't," I said dazedly. I should have known, shouldn't I? A story that long--it took so much time to tell, you'd need to spend your whole life learning it.

"It's not that kind of story," Elkesiss said with firm conviction. But his resolve didn't last. He tented his wings, lopsided and clumsy on the ground. "So that's the end. I don't know what happens after. You can go if you want to." Elkesiss shuddered and closed his eyes. "I am... sorry. I told you an unfinished story. I thought I'd be able to find my way to the end, but..." He trailed off helplessly.

He'd deceived me. Lied about knowing some grand tale, trusted in himself to invent as much as he needed. As much as it took to keep me following him, all the way to his precious cave. And now here I was with an unfinished story in my head, deep in the belly of the dungeon, far from anyone I knew. Elkesiss had been so confident he could keep me under his spell.

Acid boiled in the deep chambers of my chest. "You lied to me," I said, and I didn't recognize my voice. Elkesiss shrank back, shuddering and helpless, but did not take to flight.

"I know! I know, I'm sorry. It was wrong, I, but I can fix it! If you'll just... wait... until I can..."

"Get out of here," I growled, sure that if I had to listen to that lilting, whining voice for even one more second, I'd explode in a fountain of poison.

Elkesiss squeaked and stammered out nonsense noises. Still trying to explain. Still trying to soothe, to cajole, as though after all his words had damaged, they could somehow make things better now. "Go!" I yelled, and Elkesiss began to say something else, just one more last word, and with a violent shake of my flower I spattered him with acid.

I doubt it hurt him much; Elkesiss was used to poison, after all. But he took to the air with a squeak, didn't wait for the second spray he could see fuming in my blossom. He flew, and I didn't chase him, and then I was alone in the dungeon's deep, with a broken, unfinished story, and nothing else to my name.

Blooming

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Author's Notes: Here we are with the final part! Thanks for joining me for this odd little side-story. I hope you've enjoyed it!

Part Three: Blooming

I no longer woke to wait for Elkesiss. There was no one to wait for; I could set out whenever I pleased.

Set out and go where? For a time I went nowhere at all, moving no more than to escape a particularly irritating pokémon or find the odd berry. I mourned for what I hadn't even thought I was giving up--the tentative connections I'd made in the upper floors, almost all chance of seeing my family again. I could climb back there, of course. Turn the wrong way on stairs, reach for the dungeon's origin instead of its exit. But would I?

Who knew how far I'd need to go? Perhaps Elkesiss had been counting floors. I'd long since stopped bothering. And of course, it was all up to the will of the dungeon. Who knew if I'd ever see someone from my childhood ever again? The dungeon took. Perhaps it gave, now and again, but you could be sure it would always take.

What would my life have been like if I hadn't followed Elkesiss? Traveling and talking, swapping tales with the ever-changing tableau of people the dungeon presented to me. Perhaps cultivating my own sprouts, who would come to orbit about me, leaving and returning as the dungeon decreed. Perhaps I'd have met someone else, gone on some other adventure. Perhaps I'd have found my own tale to follow. Perhaps I'd have found a floor I liked and never sought to leave at all.

It was no good crying over time wasted, if that's what it was. No question that I'd found a few good stories along the way. Those were what I lost myself in, in the absence of Elkesiss' voice. Those were what I sought out from the other pokémon living so deep below.

Who doesn't have some story of loss? Florges spoke of flowers, carpets of flowers, whole fields of them. Growing, thriving, turning faces to follow a sun that moved across the sky. Flowers don't last long in this place of ripened fruit and dying leaves. Some gengar remembered beating hearts and the damp of tears and the warmth of blood under skin. I didn't understand half of what they were talking about, but I could hear in their voices the bittersweet of memory. Seviper spoke of an old foe, one they saw yet in swaying grass, in the blood-red of fluttering leaves. Long gone, half remembered, and yet without them the seviper felt adrift, lost without the backwards push of an opponent to tell them which way to go.

Sometimes I found myself thinking of the araquanid. The araquanid, who didn't exist. How could she stand against all the gods? She couldn't. Give up, go to ground, abandon the quest that had brought her so much sorrow. Maybe Elkesiss thought that ending unsatisfying, but those were her only sane options. The araquanid had always held too tightly. Now she stared at her treasures and slowly withered away. Letting go was the only thing that could save her.

I should have taken my own advice. I should have let go of the story, of regret, of wondering how things could be different. What I should have done next was what I'd always done: shaken the dirt off my roots, picked a direction, and set out again.

Instead I lingered. Brooded on the banks of streams, kept the company of granbull, probopass, whoever would have me. I thought too often of the araquanid's great unfinished tale. And I was aware, always, of the flock of bats that roamed the floor, rarely separated for long. They didn't have much time for those not of their kind.

It was the dungeon, of course, that brought us together again. I wasn't such a fool that I'd go looking. But I didn't exactly make it difficult for the world to work its magic, either. I did always rise earlier than Elkesiss, and some dozen sleeps after our parting I came upon him hung upside-down from a tree, dozing.

It was a tree that felt familiar--a configuration of branches that tugged at my subconscious. I studied the twist of them, the snapped-off bough that spoke of some fight, perhaps, or a clumsy landing--a wound that would never heal. Or perhaps that tree had always been like that. It had never been young, after all, never grown. None of the dungeon had.

Studying the tree is what I was doing instead of being on my way, as I could have done. Should have done. I told myself I was interested in the tree, and then Elkesiss woke up, and then there was little option but to face him.

"It's you!" the golbat squeaked, dropping from his perch in a confused clamor of wingbeats. "Y-you're--are--?" He stayed high overhead, probably fearing an attack. "I-I'll just, I can--" He turned towards a passageway roofed by golden intertwining boughs.

"I've been thinking," I said carefully, "about what would happen next."

"What would happen? What would happen?" Elkesiss circled nervously, looping closer to the exit.

"Yes. How the araquanid would challenge the gods," I went on. "I don't think she would. But... the fallen god offered her followers a place in their world, didn't they? One where the laws of reality were twisted and nothing ever stayed the same. The araquanid and her followers couldn't defeat the gods, but they could create a place beyond their reach for those pokémon who wished to seek it. In exchange, the fallen one gained life to fill its realm and a foothold in pantheon's world. And perhaps in time, if enough people ventured into the fallen god's world, there would be such strength there as to challenge the gods the way the araquanid had wished."

Elkesiss had alighted on another branch, peeking around the side of a tree trunk at me. "Well, I suppose," he said. "I guess, do you--do you really think that's how it happened?"

"I don't know. But it's a good story, isn't it?"

I tried not to smile at Elkesiss' squeaking hiss of consternation. I should have been nervous, really. But I wasn't. Why would he still be here, if he hadn't hoped I'd change my mind?

"Yes, I... I suppose so," Elkesiss said. Then he abruptly stretched his wings up, hammering them through a few nervous beats. "But why? Why are you here? Why are you telling stories? I thought you'd never want to see me again!"

"So did I," I said. "After all, you did--"

"Sorry!" Elkesiss' outstretched wings slapped back against his body, wrapping tight. "Sorry for lying. Sorry for bringing you all the way down here. And being annoying. And telling made-up stories, and..."

I paused for a moment at that. I wasn't sure what to do with an apology. The dungeon usually made them unnecessary. If someone made you angry, it wasn't like you were going to see them again anyway. If you didn't like something, it was easy enough to leave--in time you'd leave whether you wanted to or not. "Thank you," I said at last.

Elkesiss shuffled his feet on his perch, still all tall and narrow with his wings wrapped in tight. "Aren't you angry?"

"I don't know." I had been, certainly. "I wanted to tell you the rest of the story, though."

"The rest?" Elkesiss unfurled the slightest bit. His gaze was abstracted. "But that wasn't the end, was it?"

"What do you think?"

Elkesiss focused on me again. From the way his mouth hung just barely open I could tell he was making some high-pitched sound. "I think there's a lot more to tell," he finally said.

"Good," I said. "Why don't we tell it, then? Together, this time. You don't have to come up with everything yourself."

"You want to keep going?" Elkesiss sounded disbelieving. He rubbed his wings together, then stretched them distractedly. "Are you sure? We might never find the bottom, you know. It's like you said. Most people think the dungeon goes on forever."

"Did you make up your stories about the way out, too?" I asked sharply.

"No! No, no, of course not."

"Then let's keep going," I said. "We've come this far, haven't we? Maybe in twenty more floors, or fifty, I'll get tired. But another five floors? Ten? I don't want to stop just yet."

Elkesiss perked up at that. He'd learned, by then, how to smile. "Well, if you're sure. I'm definitely, you know, I'm definitely going on myself!"

Like there could be any doubt. "Let's get going, then," I said. "Why don't you get started? What do you think happens next?"

That was the question. We set out again in golden sunlight, off to find new answers for ourselves.

--​

Things changed. They always do. No longer did our travels end with Elkesiss' tale-telling. Now we spoke in turns, building a story of the araquanid's life in the fallen god's world. I imagined that she learned to enjoy her safety, to accept the world's changes and find some measure of happiness in the fallen god's dungeon. Elkesiss preferred to imagine that she still ventured forth, back to the pantheon's realm, to lead strikes against them and bring more followers to her new world. And forever we went down and down, towards Elkesiss' fabled way out or towards nothing at all.

We hardly paid attention to the treasures the dungeon showed us along the way. The golden discs were of no use besides being pretty. Berries you ate, fabric you could wear if you fancied, and wands and orbs at least could deter a pursuer. But they were mostly trinkets, diversions. The real treasure was always the stories we found, wisdom that would not dull with time, nourishment that lasted longer than the most perfect apple.

I never thought I was owed anything by the dungeon, even considering how long I'd wandered. Plenty of oddish never found what they needed to make their second change. My parents had prepared me for that. They'd always said that not being granted such treasure was no judgement, that the world was fickle and would bless you, or not, through no fault of your own.

So I wasn't prepared to find a real treasure lying in a clearing just like any other, half buried in leaf litter, a little muddy on one side. It looked like nothing more than a particularly robust rock for tossing at annoying dustox. But when I drew near a restless energy seized me, the poison thickening in my flower, honey dribbling uncontrollably from my lips. I could feel the change struggling to take me, willing me closer.

"What is it?" Elkesiss asked. "Is there a trap?"

"No. It's a leaf stone."

Elkesiss let out a jagged screech of excitement. "That makes gloom change, doesn't it? You're going to be a vileplume?"

I stared at the flat gray rock, a warm ball of energy pulsing in my chest, urging me forward. "No," I said. "Maybe someday, but not now."

"But--!"

"Vileplume's flowers are too heavy to carry for long. They have to spend most of their time rooted. It's not a change you want to make unless you're ready to stay right where you are."

Elkesiss was about to say something again, his face contorted into a crooked grimace. I bustled on ahead. "It's okay. If I'm meant to change, the dungeon will send me another. That's the way of things."

"But we could bring it with us!" Elkesiss protested.

"Better to let it go," I said. "Did you forget the story of the foolish oddish? I can't even hold that without changing."

Elkesiss squeaked in exasperation and dove, seizing the leaf stone with his feet. It took heavy wingbeats to bring him back to hovering, but he made it, and I probably wouldn't even have noticed the labor in his flapping if I wasn't so familiar with its sound. "Did the foolish oddish have a friend to carry her treasure for her?" he asked smugly.

"It's no good. It'll probably get stolen or turned into an apple. That's a lot of work for nothing."

"I know how you are about being afraid to hold onto things you want," Elkesiss said. "Let this be my foolishness, then, okay?"

I knew I'd have no luck arguing him out of it. Sometimes people had to learn for themselves. "All right," I said, and Elkesiss let out a thin, reedy squeal of pleasure. I didn't comment on how much slower he was flying with the stone between his feet; it would do no good. I gave it no more than three sleeps before a ghost stole the stone or it got lost in the middle of a fight, but Elkesiss seemed too pleased with himself to disabuse.

"We should come up with a new story," he said, "about the adventurers who found the way out of the dungeon. We could call it 'The Smart Oddish.'"

"I don't know. It doesn't really have the same ring to it, does it?" I smiled. "Besides, aren't you forgetting someone?"

Elkesiss squeaked, happily, and I smiled, and together we set out again, only a little slower than before.

--​

So it went: walking on past tree and bush and stream, all familiar, all brand new. Exchanging stories with whatever pokémon crossed our path. All of them had something to say about Elkesiss' stone, which he still carried, determined to prove a point. Eventually we would come upon a set of stairs and follow them down, always down.

Twice the dungeon separated us: once when a skuntank chased me down a bush-lined corridor; when I dared turn around, I found nothing but tree trunks crowding at my back. The second time, neither I nor Elkesiss ever figured out what happened, knew only that when we woke, we were separated, clear across the floor from one another for no reason at all. Both times we found each other again. It turned out everyone was excited to tell me they'd seen a golbat carrying a leaf stone, whether I asked them about it or not.

We carried on, down and down and down, and I began to forget my lessons. I began to think that life might continue like this forever; rising from sleep and traveling until my legs could carry me no further, then resting and spinning stories with Elkesiss before falling into sleep again. Each day familiar, each day brand new. I began to think that perhaps not everything had to change, that not everyone would leave. I could hold my treasure forever, and not perish; I could live without sacrifice, without letting go.

The staircase looked like any other. I took it without thinking, the gentle flutter of Elkesiss' wings following behind.

But at the bottom of these stairs, it was dark, as dark as though I'd closed my eyes. Except that I could still see, and see more than I wanted. Strange mounds like sleeping pokémon, eerily straight-edged and regular. Overhead, stone. No sun, no trees. The air was moist and tasted of earth but not of leaves, not of sunlight or of stream.

Elkesiss' hissing intake of breath made me flinch. I could only tell he was speaking by the way his mouth moved.

"We made it!" he squeaked, still terribly high-pitched, maybe when he realized I hadn't caught anything he'd said. "It's the end of the dungeon. Look! The way out!"

He had to mean the shaft of light spilling onto the far end of the strangely tiny floor. It was a cold kind of light, no proper gold in it. Nothing of the sun.

Elkesiss crossed the floor in an excited hammer of wingbeats, and my acid stirred warningly as one wing flashed through that strange spot of light. "Wait!" I said, and he turned back, still perilously close to what had to be danger. A way out, yes; if light was coming through, there must be a passage there. To the world outside? To someplace different. To someplace very strange.

"Are you scared?" Elkesiss asked. "It'll be all right. We're both strong now. We're going to see the world outside. Just imagine the kinds of stories they must tell out there." He laughed, chirring and light. "Think about the stories they must tell about the dungeon!"

I tried to think. I felt entombed, dead and rotting in the earth like a seed that had never quickened. "I am... scared." The stairs led up behind me. I could feel chill damp against my face. At my back was warmth and a faint golden glow.

Elkesiss set down the leaf stone and flew back over. "It's okay if you want to wait. If it would help, we can talk about all the great things we'll find outside the dungeon."

"The gods," I muttered.

"Well, them, too," Elkesiss said, sounding a bit put out.

"No, that's not what I meant," I said, looking up the stairs again. "What I meant was... I don't want to leave."

"What?! But we've been looking for a way out this whole time!"

"You've been looking for a way out. I came along because I wanted to hear a story, remember?"

"But..." Elkesiss sounded lost. Which is how I felt, too.

I hadn't thought we'd find the end of the dungeon. Hadn't even considered the possibility, not for a long time. But I was sure, when Elkesiss asked whether I didn't want to see nighttime, summer, the mountains and the rain and all the pokémon living outside the dungeon, that the answer was "no."

"I'm sorry," I said into Elkesiss' open-mouthed whine. "It's time for me to change." I gazed at the leaf stone lying on the ground, the ground that wasn't real ground but was stone instead. "I won't be able to follow you."

And I was sorry. I knew how badly Elkesiss wanted to do this. He'd been waiting his whole life. But the world had been telling me something, not so long ago. It was only now that I realized it. I wasn't meant to wander forever. I was meant to stay here, in the place I knew so well and which would never stop showing me new sides of itself, the world in infinite variation.

"But--but--!" Elkesiss stammered and screeched, holding a loud argument with himself. "We were both supposed to go! Together! I can't by myself. I can't..."

"You can," I said. "You're strong. You just said."

"Not alone, I'm--" Elkesiss flapped himself into a tizzy, unfocused energy pulling the deathly air into unquiet eddies. I looked again at the strange shaft of light, trying to will myself towards it. But acid fumed in my flower, and my skin was numb with cold. No. I couldn't. I was sure I couldn't.

"I don't want to go alone! We were--I don't want to go without you!"

The air flashed hot, and I shielded my face. I could see the light through my closed lids, even through my arms. When it cleared Elkesiss sat quietly on the floor for a while, staring dumbly at his long, slender wings. Purple wings. "Oh," he said.

I smiled, and it was only a little sad. "You're strong enough. And you said it yourself--there are more pokémon out there. You love making new friends. You won't be alone."

Elkesiss tested his new wings, the second set stuttering at first, beating out of sync. "There will be other pokémon out there, but you won't be," he pointed out.

"That's true. But who's to say you won't come back to the dungeon someday? You've found me often enough before, haven't you?"

Elkesiss shifted on his newly-tiny feet, folding and unfolding both sets of wings. He must have wanted to say something. And I could have asked then. I could have asked, but I didn't. I could tell he'd already made up his mind.

Elkesiss was quiet a while longer before letting out a weak and fluttering laugh. "Isn't it strange? The more a zubat grows, the farther he can travel. The more an oddish grows, the less she can even move."

"It is strange. We're different creatures. But we can share the same stories."

"I suppose that's true." Elkesiss took to the air. He was so much faster now. New wings and no more stone to carry. "Are you going to take the leaf stone, then? I want to see you change before I go."

"All right." I'd felt it for months now, the itching crawl of energy whenever Elkesiss brought the stone near. Approaching it where it lay on the floor, it felt like ants were marching through my veins and eating their way out through my skin. I wouldn't deny the change any longer. I reached down to touch the leaf stone, and light bloomed from within for the second and final time.

Most of what I noticed was the heaviness. My vision was cut off at the top, something huge and red hanging in the way. I reached up and struggled to push it aside. It was heavy, so heavy, but I had to move it or I wouldn't be able to see Elkesiss' smile.

"Look at you!" the crobat squeaked, his voice gone reedy with delight. "Look at both of us. We really did it, didn't we?"

"We did," I said. "And we've got a lot to do yet. Goodbye, Elkesiss. May the world give more than it takes and bring us together once more."

"Goodbye, Ragweed," Elkesiss said. "Thank you for everything."

I didn't want to turn away. I wanted to watch him leave. At the least I wanted to watch long enough to be sure he was safe. But he clearly wanted to watch me go, too.

At last I turned back towards the stairs, taking one step at a time. This was the last set of stairs I'd ever climb. I could afford to take my time with them.

Behind me sounded the faint drum of wingbeats, moving away. Elkesiss was much quieter now that he'd changed. After a second I couldn't hear anything, not even when I stopped and strained to listen.

So I went back to climbing, slowly. One step at a time. One step at a time back into glowing sunlight, into flaming leaves and grass browning but never quite dead, into fields split by glistening, murmuring streams. The home that was never the same twice. The only home I'd ever known.

--​

That's how you come to find me here, traveler, in the dungeon's farthest depths. Not many pass this way, but those who do are always full of stories. I am now, too. This is what I leave you with, traveler: the story of the foolish oddish, the one who let her treasure slip through her fingers, thinking that the only way she could hold the world was to hold on to nothing at all.

aer

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/they
HEY FUCK YOU NEGREK FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

(Also in retrospect this ending feels very 'you'.)

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Concrit: How dare you

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Howdy there! I'm here to deliver my Catnip review! Well, would you look at that? Last time you reviewed a story of mine, and now I shall review a story of yours. Balanced, as everything should be. ;3

The concept is very intriguing: the POV of the Pokémon living in the mystery dungeons? Heck yeah! This sounds so promising and very much my jam! :D

So! Without further ado, let's dive into the depths of the dungeon and see to reach the end.

---

The Characters

MDP_E_043.png
Ragweed

The narrator of the story, whose biggest trait is to not hold on to anything because the dungeon can take it away at any given moment. This became evident when she got separated from her family at the beginning, but took it as a simple life fact and one of the many rules of a dungeon.

The POV was a delight to read through, and the xenofic aspect is very evident throughout her growth from a tiny weed to a big flower. Starting from the extremely light and wandering grass, and slowing down with each change. It was a unique take on this species that was really neat to see. :D

Also, her interactions with Elkesiss were a joy to read as well. Starting from not liking that enthusiastic and annoying bat with a big dream, and then starting to appreciate his presence as the dungeon reunited them over and over. Fate, or maybe the dungeon wanted to send a sign?

However, there is one trait about her that didn't quite ring with me: her final decision to separate from Elkesiss.

On one side, I can kinda understand why she did that. During most of her interactions with Elkesiss, she kept some emotional distance, as she knew that the dungeon is fickle and every day could be the last day they would be together. But after their fight happened and they got back together, she began to appreciate his presence (even if she rationalized that as "an ally for battles"). From the vibes of her POV, I was kinda getting the impression that she was changing her mentality as well. That she found in Elkesiss a treasure worth fighting for. That perhaps she shouldn't give up on everything in her life.

And then, she went back to the whole "don't hold anything tightly" mindset, albeit with some hesitation. And that kinda feels like backtracking to me.

Granted, it wasn't completely unexpected. As soon as I read about them finding the Leaf Stone, I had the feeling that it was heading in that direction (with my thought process being "A Vileplume has a big flower, and if a Gloom already struggles with moving for a long time, using that Leaf Stone means the end of the journey"), but it still felt jarring to me.

I don't quite understand the rationale for that decision, because I find it hard to believe that she stuck around just for the sake of a story (albeit, this could be her way of coping with the loss of a friend), and rather than feeling sad about their separation, I was a bit frustrated.

However, there is some irony in wanting to stick to her initial mindset, and that is that she learned about a mighty feeling: regret. As much as she might be someone who doesn't want to keep things close, that's one thing that is extremely hard to get rid of. Not even the strongest shifting magic of the dungeon can do anything about that. So, perhaps there is some moral to learn from her experience: a true friend is the hardest thing to find, but also the most painful thing to lose.

Having said so, the finale the only one (1) thing about the entire story that made me raise my eyebrow, and I'm gonna end this analysis with a positive but bittersweet note and a theory.

That Leaf Stone that she wanted to leave behind and that Elkesiss kept with him? It's quite symbolic. Because even if she might not have seen the bat again, she still keeps a side of him always with her through her permanent evolution. That's one thing that the dungeon can't take away from her, which could be a comforting thought.

As for the theory... I wonder what would have happened if, in another timeline, she found a Sun Stone. Would Ragweed have gotten through her inner block and evolved both physically and psychically? Becoming a Bellossom would mean leaving behind the weight of the bulbs and the poison in her body, so would she have gained another perspective? Or would she have stayed in the dungeon, regardless of form, but started seeking connections more actively?

I guess that's one question with no answer unless somebody writes about that scenario. *wink wink*

MDP_E_041.png
Elkesiss

Gosh, what's not to love about this fella? An adorable and imaginative bat who only wants to make friends and see what's outside of the dungeon. He was the highlight for me, and his enthusiasm is really infectious. As someone who lives in colonies and who values loyalty and companionship, it's an interesting contrast with the lone wanderer Oddish.

I wonder what compelled Elkesiss to reach out to Ragweed and to seek her company constantly. Sure, he proposed to her the idea of finding the end of the dungeon because he alone can't do it, but why did he persist with Ragweed and didn't try with someone else? Hmm... Perhaps he did ask, but she was the only one who entertained his suggestion. Who knows.

Oh, and I mentioned his imaginative nature. Which came into play when he created the tale of the Araquanid who defied the gods, which is an interesting metaphor of the two characters: the Araquanid who defies nature (Elkesiss who wants to leave the dungeon), but who ends up settling in the shifting world and holds back on her desires (Ragweed and her final decision to stay in the dungeon).

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see this tale as a standalone story. It would be such a nice plot for a PMD plot about revolution and mortals opposing gods. It has plenty of potential imo.

Anyway, I really felt for him when he ultimately left the dungeon... alone. That made his evolution more dramatic, too. As a Golbat evolves because of a tight bond, it truly meant that he came to care about Ragweed. But at least, he can carry this affection with him in the other world, too. And speaking of which, I wonder what he thinks about the other side. Is it as good as he thought, better, or worse? It's a pity he never managed to find Ragweed so that he could tell her about the wonders of the new world so that she could tell about it to the traveler -- us.

MDBag_Wand_RTDX_Sprite.png
The Story

So, this was the first time I read a story of yours, and golly! This was a pleasure of the eyes for sure! Heck, it was so gripping that I read the entire thing in two sittings (since the last part wasn't out when I began reading this, and I waited to read the last part before getting into this review.

The prose was so good and easy to follow, and I enjoy thoroughly when authors put emphasis on body language. I find that as important as dialogs, since gestures can say a lot about a character and their quirks. The whole thing about Elkesiss learning how to smile and Ragweed getting used to arms were two neat details that I really appreciated.

The story beats and worldbuilding were also really good, and it was nice to get glimpses into the various cultures and lives of multiple species, like the Oddish learning how to fend for themselves and the colony system of the Zubat. It was a neat way to show how different species adapted to the chaotic nature of the mystery dungeons.

Though, I'm left with one question: what lead Pokémon to venture into a mystery dungeon and stay? It's implied that many species made the dungeons their homes, but why? Maybe some of them fled from some dangers in the "stable" world? Or maybe... the "stable" world doesn't exist anymore, and they took refuge in chaos? That would be... quite the scary implication, admittedly. Cosmic horror at its finest.

Diamond_Rank_RTDX.png
Final Note

Okay, I'd say that I've rambled enough, so I'm gonna wrap things up now.

So... I enjoyed this. I really do. This was a great perspective into the point of view of the dungeon Pokémon, which is indeed something that not many authors tackled fully. So kudos from coming up with such a lovely tale. Really, this was so great and brightened the nights I spent reading this. :D

I'm sorry for not writing this review earlier. RL got in the way and all that jazz. Still, if this proof of your writing, then I gotta read more of your stuff, haha! Just gotta hunt for stories that are within my blood-free limits. :p

Well, this was a lot of fun! Once again, major kudos for this story, and until next time! ^^

tomatorade

The great speckled bird
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. quilava
  2. buizel
Catnip time! Also ouch, it hurts.

I'm surprised I haven't seen/read/experienced this earlier because it's certainly in line with what I like to read and write. A very bittersweet story. Tragic, but also kind of not? I think without the final paragraph tying your story to the in-universe story of the foolish oddish, this would be much less sad. Elkessis would have grown and moved on and we could imagine Ragweed having at least gone back and lived with their memories.

Mr. Dungeon.

In our chat, you mentioned having trouble with some PMD stories being very humans-in-fuzzy-clothing, and I can definitely see that in the way you write your own. All the characters feel very animal(plant?)istic with their own quirks and cultures mingling. Of all the details we got, I liked the focus on storytelling the most. It feels very ancient, relying on the oral tradition to pass down collective knowledge in absence of writing. Outside that, ragweed's thirsty, thirsty feet and Elkessis being unable to smile were very cute.

The dungeon itself gave me a lot of thoughts. It mirror the stories told inside it, in a way. Constructed out of fragments that become more and more familiar both as you hear them repeated and as you finally encounter something new. It also makes me wonder about the stories themselves. There's enough real information that implies a sort of ingress/egress of pokemon through the dungeon. I do wonder what would compell someone to come and stay, but I also realise that I don't know anything about the outside world in this story. It could be awful. But worth it still, which I suppose is the point.

Back to the storytelling, I love the way you tied the tale of the foolish oddish back to the end. What Ragweed never considered was that despite not keeping any physical objects, they still kept a lot of intangible somethings with them and were still forced to choose in the end. It becomes a sort of 'right story, wrong lesson' thing. Ragweed could've stayed in the upper floors and been happy with the familiar, or could've left, but instead chose neither.

Also, despite being made up, Elkessis' story still feels very real. It's definitely a dungeon origin story of sorts, with giratina implied to have created them for the araquinid's followers to take refuge in. And there's a weird amount of sense to it that makes it seem as if it was picked up in bits and pieces from a lot of stories told to Elkessis. Like, how would he even conceive of the gods otherwise? There's a constant questioning of what's real and fake that can't be confirmed unless someone takes the stories outside.

Grumpy leaf and bat

Oh, poor Ragweed, we hardly knew ye.

Despite contesting the idea that gods could even exist, they still surrender themselves to the fickle ways of the dungeon. Interesting.

I loved their little back-and-forth relationship with Elkessis. It felt organic in a very unstable way. Growing attached despite not meaning to, and finally crawling back to him to finish the story were some very touching moments of growth.

Same with the evolution. A wonderful part of pokemon is canon friendship-based powerups, and there's a nice symbloism here. I wonder how considered the species of pokemon were for the story, because they feel very suited to their arcs. oddish evolve and get slower and more rooted, meanwhile zubat only get faster and more mobile. Also, friendship evolution. Great moment where both characters realise how attached they've become. The end as a whole is presented as Ragweeed making a mistake, but I think from a different perspective it becomes very different. Elkessis also learns something, after all, and is forced to experience the dungeon taking Ragweed from him. Kind of a trade of ideologies.

It's heartbreaking though, how close Ragweed comes at the end only to scare themselves off. I love the contrast between the outside and the dungeon, here. The dungeon light is warm and golden, the outside is cold and uninviting. Really puts us into their head.

If I had any complaints, there's a conspicuous absence of Ragweed's philosophy at the final scene. The way it's written makes it seem like they won't leave because home is home, but every other scene in the fic focuses on the idea of them refusing to get too attached so as not to lose it. I suppose the point could be that they finally realise that they don't want to abandon Elkessis, but then that has me wondering why they stayed, especially since Ragweed always felt to me like a character who felt less attached to the dungeon and more subjected to it, if that makes sense.

Although it's also difficult to imagine a change that would preserve the intended ending I guess. As much as I want to them to leave together and be friends, I guess I should also respect what the author wanted to do. Whatever >:( .

I have less to say about Elkessis than I thought. I'm interested in their loneliness. There's an implication like they don't stick around colonies long/at all, despite considering them important and I'm interested in drilling deeper into that. What exactly attracts him to Ragweed beyond the colony? It could just be a sense of wanderlust that they both (kinda. though in Ragweed's case less eagerly) share, but Ragweed isn't exactly friendly beyond that. I do like that in constanly finding each other, it ends up proving Elkessis right. As much as Ragweed insists the dungeons take everything away, they really don't. Elkessis has no trouble at all finding them again with only a little searching.

I dunno. most of my thoughts around him have me wondering what happens outside. Whether he ever attempts to go back or just heeds Ragweed's advice and moves on.

End

Actually reminds me of the Modest Mouse song, World at Large.

I know that starting over's not what life's about,
but my thoughts were so loud, I couldn't hear my mouth.

What do you have if you just let everything go? Poor Ragweed.

Anyways, very good story, right up my alley as I've said. I didn't mention it much, but the prose here was lovely, particularly the way you've intertwined the in-universe story bits with the overall package; we seem to weave in and out of anecdotes and come back to Ragweed very fluidly and in a way that hides the chronology. It shocked me a little to read that Elkessis had been carrying that leaf stone for month, because it certainly didn't fell that long to read.

I think that's all from me. pls tell me Elkessis is okay :(

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
Aw…

Remember when I said I’d be back to read the rest of this later during Soeed Catnip? Or has it been too long to remember? Either way, I’m a lass of my word no matter how long it takes… even if it took a kick in the Heartache to get me going.

I’m glad I returned. Few people can open my heart up this far and break it like this in so little time, and each story that does so is a special one. I feel, in my head, like can’t pick a favourite of the duo… But in my gut I know it’s Elkesiss. The kind of friend everybody needs, picking up quite a talent for storytelling.

Early on, I thought it interesting that the stories seemed to match the real arc in emotional beats, figured it was just the format, but there was a reason for it in the end… and a reason it was. That’s the part Elkesiss stole my heart. Poor Ragweed didn’t know how to recognize a great storyteller when they had the chance.

I feel like dual-narratives can be a he’d thing to pull off, it always risks one being more compelling than the other, or them not clicking. You’ve navigated the issue… I can’t say whether or not it was actually effortlessly, but if it’s so well done I can’t tell that’s an achievement in and of itself. The second layer of the story gave so much insight into who they are… and the conclusion they’re veering towards.

Leaving your treasure behind indeed… I can’t say there was no way to see it coming.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
5293767--wyIRiaVVqovWzWm.png

Smeargle Swap! I'm sure Ragweed has her regrets....

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Foolosh oddish
chapter 1
Blitz review

Its interesting to see a point of view of a dungeon mon. Ususally the mooks of a region, its nice to see they have thier own way of making it. A life to live even in the chaos, where survival isnt the end all be all... Even trade can be done even if its just tall tales passing word of mouth.

I love the mental image of a zubat sounding like the mix of a squeaktoy and a dog whistle. Between wanding weeds and whirling wings i suppose both have heard some tales.

Zubat: i'll give you one scentence and a puzzling term... And now i'm waiting...

Oddish: really. Thats it?

Zubat: wanna know what a cave is?

Oddish: yes... (Sulkily digs to the bottom of the creative barrel in retaliation)

Thats a way to title drop. A tall oddish tale about an indecisive shrub so indecisive he offed himself.

I agree with oddishs criticisms. Its less a story and more unbriddled optimism with a definition tail. Still it does tell zubats ambitions.

Love how oddish is like... If i ignore it, it'll go away. I can bury myself and he'll go away. Soon... Please?

Zubats tale is also another tell. Hes looking for companionship (a social norm as a bat) where oddish is a bit more asocial and is being quietly driven up the wall for it...

And zubats like... I wanna travel buddy!

Oddish is looking for escape routes.
That dungeon shift saved thier rooted hide. And so life goes on. Oddish trying to remain an oddish as long as possible, reunions, schenanigans, stories, and zubat returnin-

Yeah the last is gunna make oddish faceplant into the sod.

Zubat: "Wanna adventure now..."

Oddish: whhy...

And mama tog' s out for blood. Funny how elkesiss gets first draw though. Guilt is going to push oddish into this fight and probanly into thier next form.

And that went well. And poor glooms gotta adjust to a new biology and form. Elkesiss had his own growing pains to wrangle with but his seem to angle him to wander further where glooms do not. And he's got the ultimate lure. A colony worth of stories.

Wonder how long gloom will follow.

K_S

Foolish oddish
Part two
Review blitz

And so we see the tale that the zubats tale. It starts with one interestong choice of mon... And i wonderif theres a variation... That each type each spiecies might have a champion that stood up to legends after a loss. They legends usually being so reckless and whem you consider mythologies usually are tailored to be mindful of the audience. Especially verbal ones.

Even if each spieces tells of an araquanid that stood against invincible forces i suspect each mon or type had an ally in her ranks. A sort of "we all can take pride in the sucsess becuase we all were involved" sort of thing.

I'm surprised elkesiss had enough restraint to not chase down all the side stories. They're excitable, yes. But also deeply invested in thier best story ever...

Hope hes got enough tales to keep ragweed going along.

Love how rags is like... I'm only here for the tale.. I'm only here for the... Drat when did that change? Well thats awkward but i will tip absolutly no hints.

The bats do-gooder streak is entwining the two in tales of thier own. Something rags isn't noticing i think....or rather only noticing it as a change but not how important it is.

El's story feels very greek mythology. Man might challenge the gods but not lightly and retribution is swift.

Thier split seems a pulse check for thier archs. You can imagine el' ripping the dungeon down to the seams. Rags with thier on again, off again, search with heavy dabs of nostalgia shows tjat instead of seeing thier seperation as a thing to be surmounted is an inevitability that should be embraced.

Grudgingly but not challenged.

Back to the legend. Sounds like our water big found the distortion world and giratina to sweep her under its wing-arm-thingie.

And el' s out of plot bunny and confessing to it... While kudos for them being truthful rags is not going to take that well. And rags doesnt considering we've scaled right up to assult... I wonder how or if theyll reconcile at this point?

K_S

Review blitz
Chapter 3

And ragweed is now dealing with the consequences of storming off on elkesiss in an ever shifting neverland. And they're lost in more than one way it seems. I wondered if theyd scale up to familiar pastures. But they've gone down so far i guess its not possible.

Through speaking to the other mon you can see the loss the dungeons is inflicting on its survivors. Its a wound that never heals and ragweed is starting to see it in others and perhaps in themselves.

And the dungeon world perpetually repeats. In scenery and in encounters.
Poor ele' ready to flap off, and ragweeds not appology fits them so well, but el' takes what he can and rolls with it.

Curious to see what kind of tale they build together.

And that stone feels like a threat. The other treasures of the dungeon bait... But that stone screams schmuck bait. The fact that rag suggests leaving it says a lot. And i really wish el' had decided to go along with rags suggestion. Especially once they get to that cave. If they evolve there there isnt going to be much a life to live. Between the lack of water and sunlight and no mobility... Well at least rag was able to climb to safer pastures, and el was able to fly out... They both got what they said they wanted... And while i get rag suffered for it i'm curious how el' did once they were out for good.

Top Bottom