• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

The Dragons' Maw

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Victoria gasped. ("Well, that's just wonderful! Have you ever been to Hoenn? I would love to go head-to-head with you in a Beauty Contest.") She glanced over at Hazel and smiled. ("Perhaps Hazel and Jack could join us.")
"We have! Hoenn is quite beautiful, and we've won many ribbons there. I had hoped for a chance for us to show off our skills here, but it seems unlikely now." She shook all three of her heads. "Terrible business, what happened this morning."

“I don’t really know,” Jack replied, moving a wing through his leek. “Usually I’d be at the audience seats, but would they like seeing my leek attacks? Seb always compared Pokémon battles to those cartoons on TV and the internet.”

The humanoid Farfetch’d moved his gaze up at the Hydreigon. “That wasn’t really what I wanted to talk about—I just wanted to ask you about what happened at the beach this morning. A Drampa and her human were there, and there was a scorch mark and glass on the shore, so we were wondering if the attack came from a dragon or a Fire-type.” He paused for a moment and cleared his throat. “Sorry if I’m talking too fast.”
"No worries, child," she replied, flashing another toothy grin. "I took a look myself and it is indeed dragon fire. Which is not unlike regular fire. I suspect the Drampa tried to attack whoever took them. I must say I am surprised, I could tell that Drampa was quite strong. Whoever took them must have been either fast or strong as well."
She snorted, a plume of smoke rising from her nostrils, and a faint growl rumbling in her chest. "Whoever did this should pray to their gods they do not run across me. I will rend the flesh from their bones and-" she cleared her throat and smiled again. "Never mind that though, I hope that answer helps you somehow!"

lf from her mind going overboard, she instead focused on typing the gist of the conversation and relayed it to Violet.

She smiled, and turned back to Toby. "Apologies; she cannot get enough affection at times," she said, forcing out a light chuckle before asking a question that seemed innocent enough. "How do you integrate moves in contests? I have been fascinated by the allure of contests' spectacle, yet have not had the chance to look into the scene mineself."
Toby brightened, clearly pleased at the chance to share more on something he was passionate about.

"When I first started doing contests I thought it was just about doing really flashy moves and being strong. But the real trick to a contest is finding ways to draw out a pokemons full potential. To show them off in ways most people never expect. Everyone thinks Regalia here is really scary," he said as he patted her neck. "But she can beautiful with her strength too. And of course it's knowing how to blend the aura of two different moves to create something new."

MintyMimix

Otherworldly Dessert
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. lurantis
  2. noivern-astrea
She snorted, a plume of smoke rising from her nostrils, and a faint growl rumbling in her chest. "Whoever did this should pray to their gods they do not run across me. I will rend the flesh from their bones and-" she cleared her throat and smiled again. "Never mind that though, I hope that answer helps you somehow!"
More kicking from Hazel, though these one were rougher. Based on the growl Violet heard, she figured it must have been a power play of some sort. Violet didn't wait for Hazel to translate, and instead elected to give her some more soothing scritches. Teasing was fun, but stress was not.
"When I first started doing contests I thought it was just about doing really flashy moves and being strong. But the real trick to a contest is finding ways to draw out a pokemons full potential. To show them off in ways most people never expect. Everyone thinks Regalia here is really scary," he said as he patted her neck. "But she can beautiful with her strength too. And of course it's knowing how to blend the aura of two different moves to create something new."
"Really now!" Violet replied in surprise and genuine interest. "I have not heard of this aura blending technique mineself, though it sounds quite fascinating. Were it not an inappropriate situation to do so, I would ask for a demonstration." The idea of being able to show off using Pokémon moves was tantalizing, to say the least. However, such a dream was not aligned with the goal of becoming champion, unfortunately, but she was still eager to learn about it.

Had Hazel not been a hot mess of embarrassment, infatuation, and fear, she would have been so proud to see Violet actively trying to discover more about the world around her. Heck, she would have happily jumped onto the conversation as well. Instead, she focused on translation. Her shaky typing became an exercise of fighting the phone.

[I I would like to try the con tests one of these says. And hydreigoj days it was dragon fire and probably dramas trying to attack whoever took them. Also she. Is really scary. Can we pleas leave?]

A smug grin formed on Victoria's face. ("Well, have you ever gone up against a certain Trainer in beret and Milotic?")
A pause. [Actually no wait I want to stay with be Victorian. And xan we meet Wallace if its not too late she's Victoria's trainer please?]

Violet looked at Hazel's phone, and her eyes squinted as she attempted to decipher the text. With a small smile, Violet shook her head. She leaned in and whispered, "You can spend more time with the apple of your eye another day... for now, we gather information."

Clearing her throat, Violet decided to get down to business. "Speaking of inappropriate situations... You were at the beach when the incident was discovered, yes? What do you make of it...?" Her eyes, though fluttering, were ready to analyze every bit of the boy's body language. Court behavior had taught her how to discern between the many masks people wear, and it seemed no matter what era she was in, such a skill was timeless. She called upon those old teachings as her face slipped into one of silky, yet sharp poise.
[Mind Reader]
@Flyg0n

Last edited:

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"No worries, child," she replied, flashing another toothy grin. "I took a look myself and it is indeed dragon fire. Which is not unlike regular fire. I suspect the Drampa tried to attack whoever took them. I must say I am surprised, I could tell that Drampa was quite strong. Whoever took them must have been either fast or strong as well."
Jack tried to ignore the sudden mood shifts as he nodded awkwardly and replied. “Uh, yeah, thanks for the info. It’s a big help. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be around here looking at this place. Might be interesting.” He walked away and observed attentively the establishment for anything that could’ve stuck out. Hopefully more evidence or any suspicious individuals.

“I’ll catch up to what you find later, Miss Hazel, Violet.”

[[Jack used Foresight!]]
@Flyg0n

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
A smug grin formed on Victoria's face. ("Well, have you ever gone up against a certain Trainer in beret and Milotic?")

Another thought crossed Victoria's mind. ("DO you think there could have been more than two dragons at the scene, or just the Drampa?")

("To me, what's most important is the bond between Coordinator and Pokémon. To be in sync, to know each others' next move... that is most beautiful of all.")
"I'm honestly not sure," mused Hydreigon finally. If there was anoher dragon, I certainly couldn't pick up any signs of it." She shook her heads sadly. "Apologies I could not be of more assistance."

At Victoria's next words, she perked up. "Oh yes! The synchronization, the bond between human and trainer... it has literal power you know! It's quite amazing."

Clearing her throat, Violet decided to get down to business. "Speaking of inappropriate situations... You were at the beach when the incident was discovered, yes? What do you make of it...?" Her eyes, though fluttering, were ready to analyze every bit of the boy's body language. Court behavior had taught her how to discern between the many masks people wear, and it seemed no matter what era she was in, such a skill was timeless. She called upon those old teachings as her face slipped into one of silky, yet sharp poise.
[Mind Reader]
"My personal theory? Maybe she saw something or knew something that made her a target? I have been asking myself that much of the day, why her... Or perhaps she was targeted because she was alone. Perhaps the kidnapper was an opportunist?"

Violet used Mind Reader! Regalia is telling the truth and is genuine!

Jack tried to ignore the sudden mood shifts as he nodded awkwardly and replied. “Uh, yeah, thanks for the info. It’s a big help. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be around here looking at this place. Might be interesting.” He walked away and observed attentively the establishment for anything that could’ve stuck out. Hopefully more evidence or any suspicious individuals.

“I’ll catch up to what you find later, Miss Hazel, Violet.”

[[Jack used Foresight!]]
@Flyg0n

Jack used Foresight! ...Everything seems normal!

MintyMimix

Otherworldly Dessert
Pronouns
They/Them
Partners
  1. lurantis
  2. noivern-astrea
"My personal theory? Maybe she saw something or knew something that made her a target? I have been asking myself that much of the day, why her... Or perhaps she was targeted because she was alone. Perhaps the kidnapper was an opportunist?"
Violet took a short blink and nodded her head solemnly. "I understand; thank you for your time," she replied, smiling. "Mayhaps we could exchange, er, numbers, so we may keep in touch. I would certainly love to learn more about your contests when the situation is less... grim."

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Jack didn’t see anything unusual until the statue of the Mega-Flygon caught his attention. He still had the investigation in mind, but given that he didn’t notice anything too important, he decided to look closer. It was a big surprise to him. It was something new, and Kalos never had anything like that. Maybe it was something exclusive to this universe. So many questions.

“Seb and Zack would love to see this too,” he muttered to himself in a smile.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Violet took a short blink and nodded her head solemnly. "I understand; thank you for your time," she replied, smiling. "Mayhaps we could exchange, er, numbers, so we may keep in touch. I would certainly love to learn more about your contests when the situation is less... grim."
"That'd be great," Toby said. He took out his phone and quickly swapped numbers before handing it back. "Contests are an excellent way to draw on the power of the bond between trainer and pokemon. Did you know that wild pokemon find it much harder to harness their aura in the way contest combonations require? It's fascinating, and I'd love to show you sometime. I believe everyone can learn something from contests."

"And perhaps you two can tell me your story! I'd love to hear it."

(“Thank you for your help, Hydreigon and Toby. Your information is most vital. Should things improve and resolve, I would love to face you all on the Contest stage.”) Victoria smiled and winked. (“I’ll be waiting.”)
"I look forward to such a meeting, a clash of wills, beauty and wit," Regalia declared, giving a cheerful growl, which sounded much closer to a terrifying snarl.

Jack didn’t see anything unusual until the statue of the Mega-Flygon caught his attention. He still had the investigation in mind, but given that he didn’t notice anything too important, he decided to look closer. It was a big surprise to him. It was something new, and Kalos never had anything like that. Maybe it was something exclusive to this universe. So many questions.

“Seb and Zack would love to see this too,” he muttered to himself in a smile.

The Mega Flygon was unquestionably one of the most beautiful sights anyone could ever see, and truly any world without one is deprived of the joy of beholding it. Alas.... :sadbees:

Day 3 - The Talk

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
“So, this is the place you wanted to go eat, Jack?” Seb asked as he stepped into the restaurant, Zack on his shoulder. He stopped himself in awe as he looked at the decor of the place. The carvings on the walls, the torches, the statue with the Flygon… Wait, that Flygon seemed different. Gigamax? “Okay, this looks epic. Thanks, buddy. Now, what breakfast foods…?”

Zack hopped off Seb’s shoulder and approached the statue. “Oh, that is beautiful. Imagine what would happen if I fought that.” He flexed his wings with confidence. “Maybe if I could go Mega, it’d be the battle of the century.”

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Odette was mid-way through perhaps her hundredth yawn since she officially woke up. She’d called Armel, and before she knew it, the sun was rising on the horizon. She wasn’t sure when exactly she fell asleep, but when she did awaken again, it was 11am and the call was still running. It certainly wasn’t the first time they’d fallen asleep on the phone together, so she just hung up and sent him a message that she’d call him later. He’d be waking up much later anyway.

This was the one place they hadn’t eaten yet, and Odette, even through her grogginess, could see it was definitely the nicest of the eateries. Even the Flygon statue was something.

“̴D̷a̴m̵n̸.̸ ̴W̸h̵y̴ ̷I̷S̵N̷’̸T̸ ̷t̴h̸e̴r̸e̵ ̷a̶ ̵M̷e̵g̷a̸ ̸F̷l̴y̵g̴o̷n̷ ̸i̷n̵ ̴o̵u̷r̵ ̵w̶o̷r̶l̵d̷?̶”̴Odile asked incredulously as she stared at it. “̶I̶ ̸t̴h̷i̷n̴k̸ ̴i̷t̸ ̸w̸o̷u̶l̷d̸ ̶b̴e̴ ̴k̵i̵n̵d̷ ̶o̸f̴ ̵s̷i̷c̶k̵.̵”̸

“I’m sure they’re out there somewhere,” Enora mused. “Though I believe Flygon looks beautiful as is.”

“Are you too done gassing up this clearly pretend statue? I’d like to sit,” Odette groaned.

Well it’s not my fault you decided to stay up so late,” Enora chastised as they made their way into the restaurant.

“Yeah, well,” Odette scoffed. “Must be nice being able to fall asleep at a reasonable hour.”

She yawned again as they sat down, pressing her face into her hand as she closed her eyes. She could stand to rest them while they waited to order. She’d really need her energy for the day.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Zack turned around after having heard a few familiar voices. After he saw Odette, his fight-or-flight sense was starting to lean heavily towards fight, but he remembered that she nor her Pokémon were the villains he was supposed to defeat. There was a kidnapper, and she wasn’t the one. He waved awkwardly at the Sylveon nearby. “Um… Yo. I-I never got your name back at the boat, did I? Name’s Zack.” He ran a wing through his crest, looking rather downcast. “And sorry about the fuss…”

Jack looked with curiosity at the conversation that was starting to take place near the statue. He was talking to the shiny Sylveon from the boat. His mind went back to that failed attempt at showing off those ‘heroic’ acts. He was worried for a moment, but when he heard the Pidgeotto say sorry, he relaxed a bit.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
“Um… Yo. I-I never got your name back at the boat, did I? Name’s Zack.” He ran a wing through his crest, looking rather downcast. “And sorry about the fuss…”
Enora stopped dead in her tracks, just before she hopped up onto her chair. Her ears fell back against her head as her lips curled over her teeth. She turned around to Zack, and arched her back defensively.

You’re asking for my name now?” she growled. “A little overdue for that, isn’t it?”

She sat down before him, eyeing him closely and accusingly. “If you must know, I am Enora. And I am NOT the ‘mon you need to be apologizing to,” she said. “I was merely protecting my human, who has been through far too much recently to be dealing with the likes of your trigger-happy will to battle. If there is somebody you need to be apologizing to, it’s HER. And Odile. And I expect equal apologies from your friend and trainer as well. Are we clear?”

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Jack jumped down to Zack’s aid, holding his leek out. “Good morning,” he said to the Sylveon. “Sorry, we just thought that you’d be more approachable considering your human’s temper and that clone… Yeah. I know, bad first impressions, but we’re trying to make it right.” He looked up at Odette with slight fear. “Although I don’t think we’ll know when she’d be more willing to listen.”

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Sorry, we just thought that you’d be more approachable considering your human’s temper and that clone…
Enora snorted. “I might be a lady, but ladies aren’t above defending their humans from brutes such as yourselves. Tread lightly, bird.”
Although I don’t think we’ll know when she’d be more willing to listen.”
She wrinkled her nose, her eyes narrowing in doubt. It didn’t seem like either of them were being insincere, or appeared as if they were powering up to battle. Her ribbons began to twitch.

She’d be willing to listen if I asked her to,” she replied stiffly. “I can bring you to her so you may speak with her. But if either of you try anything I will not hesitate to put you in your place. Again, understood?”

When she got the answer she needed, she rolled her eyes and motioned toward their table. “Then follow me.”

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
“Let’s do it, then,” Jack replied, bracing himself as he moved forward, right behind Enora. “Come on, Zack.”

“Oh boy,” Zack muttered, rubbing his chest in anxiety. “It’s gonna be pretty bad. I’m not backing down, though.” He followed a bit more slowly and hesitantly than the others, but he still had a tinge of determination in his eyes.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
“Oh boy,” Zack muttered, rubbing his chest in anxiety. “It’s gonna be pretty bad. I’m not backing down, though.” He followed a bit more slowly and hesitantly than the others, but he still had a tinge of determination in his eyes.
Odette was mindlessly sipping from her water, head against the wall as Odile flicked pieces of a straw wrapper at her. One bounced off the side of her neck, but she didn’t appear bothered.

“What are you doing,” she said tiredly.

“̸H̵o̷l̶d̷ ̴s̸t̷i̵l̴l̷,̵ ̷I̸’̴m̸ ̴t̵r̵y̸n̶a̸ ̷h̸i̴t̸ ̸y̷o̵u̵r̶ ̸n̸o̶s̸e̵.̶”̷ Odile insisted as she lined up another shot.

Odette closed her eyes and braced for impact, but saw a flash of blue heading toward the table. They snapped back open and narrowed upon seeing who was following her.

“Bold choice,” she called. “Gonna fuck with me again?”

Enora stopped at the table and gestured to the birds. “Actually they have something they want to say to you.”

Odette and Odile shot looks at each other, before settling into their seats, each resting their elbows on the table in mimicking fashions.

“Oh?” Odette said, heightening her voice. “And what would that be, huh?”

Last edited:

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Zack started to shake a bit after getting close to Odette’s table. After remembering what had been happening the past few days, he took a few breaths to relax. Slowly and surely. Now that he was calm, he spoke with a soft voice. “S-Sorry…” No, maybe that was too low. He raised his voice and looked up with regretful eyes. “Sorry about the fuss on the boat. About showin’ off ‘n’ bein’ a hero an’ tryin’ to stop…” His gaze moved towards Odile, but he didn’t flinch. “…her. Thought you were bad guys at first, but you’re not behind the kidnappin’ stuff, right?”

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Sorry about the fuss on the boat. About showin’ off ‘n’ bein’ a hero an’ tryin’ to stop…” His gaze moved towards Odile, but he didn’t flinch. “…her. Thought you were bad guys at first, but you’re not behind the kidnappin’ stuff, right?”
Odile stood up to say something, but Odette grabbed her arm and pulled her back down, effectively silencing whatever remark was brewing.

“And what was there to be a hero for? What were you stopping?” she asked. “You saw something that you’d never seen before and your first instinct was to attack it?” She shook her head. “That’s not heroism, that’s fucking ignorance.”

She then lowered her voice, averting her eyes around to assure she wasn’t being overheard. “Weren’t you paying a lick of attention to what the cop said? The kidnappings started before we got here, so how the fuck would it have been us? If you’re gonna play fucking hero, get your facts straight first, get your head out of your ass, and when somebody says ‘no’ or ‘leave me alone,’ it’s in your best interest to listen.”

She sat back down and yawned. It was a long, drawn out yawn, and ended with her downing the rest of her water.

“And even more so, open your damn mind. The best heroes don’t immediately scream ‘villain’ at things that look creepy to them.”

Another shake of her head. “Since you at least had the common decency to own up to being an idiot, I’ll accept your apology this one time. Takes some sense of humility to admit you’re wrong, and I appreciate that,” she said as she tapped her glass against the table.

“But you have a lot to learn before you can call yourself a hero.”

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
For every swear that Odette spat at him, Zack flinched, but more from the harshness of he voice. Something about that tone reached him on a personal level, but he didn’t let that hold him down. “I’m tryin’ real hard to be better. I’m learnin’ respect. Restraint.” He ran a wing through his crest, trying to relax his posture. “And to be honest, I didn’t wanna start on the wrong foot with ya. I mean, I’m lookin’ at an empress!” He spread his wings open with emphasis. “I gotta give ya the respect you deserve, right?”

Jack placed a wing on the Pidgeotto’s shoulder, leaning forward. “Zack, aren’t you exaggerating?”

“Jack-o, have you seen a human this beautiful?”

“Uh, no? But still, remain respectful.” The Farfetch’d patted Zack’s shoulder once before moving back.

“Right.” Zack nodded firmly before looking back up at Odette. “Anyway, I just wanted to start over with ya. Don’t want any hard feelings in the way. Please?”

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
And to be honest, I didn’t wanna start on the wrong foot with ya. I mean, I’m lookin’ at an empress!”
Odette quirked a brow at the compliment, lowering her head to hide her mouth behind her fingers. She didn’t quite know how to—

“̵D̷a̶m̴n̶ ̴S̶T̵R̵A̵I̶G̴H̸T̸ ̸s̶h̴e̷’̷s̷ ̵a̴n̶ ̴e̵m̶p̵r̸e̵s̵s̸,̷”̸ ̸“̷Y̴o̶u̵ ̵d̸o̵n̵’̶t̶ ̷k̸n̴o̸w̶ ̵w̴h̷o̶ ̸t̵h̷e̴ ̴f̴u̵c̷k̶ ̸y̸o̶u̸’̶r̶e̶ ̷t̷a̵l̴k̷i̶n̶g̷ ̷t̴o̷.̵ ̷S̴h̸e̶’̷s̷ ̸t̶h̶e̴ ̷‘̶Y̶A̷A̸A̶A̴A̶S̶S̵S̴S̵S̵’̵ ̷Q̸u̴e̸e̶n̸ ̵a̵t̸—̷“̷

“Odile,” Odette snapped. She mimed zipping her lips shut. “Zip it.”

Anyway, I just wanted to start over with ya. Don’t want any hard feelings in the way. Please?”
Odette sighed roughly and began to pinch the bridge of her nose as she sat back down.

“Truth be told I can’t spend any more of my energy having beef with people when I’d much rather spend it figuring out why this island is so fucked,” she said. “We’re fine. It’s fine. Just don’t act like an ass anymore, and it’s whatever.”

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
“We’re fine. It’s fine. Just don’t act like an ass anymore, and it’s whatever.”
“Already working on that,” Zack replied with a thumbs-up. He didn’t exactly know why he did it. Was it for emphasis? Reassurance? No matter. “Name’s Zack, by the by.”

“Jack,” the Farfetch’d said with small, quick wave.

“You can call him Jack-o if you want.”

Top Bottom