• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Part 1

NebulaDreams

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. luxray
  2. hypno
Hi, everyone! This is something I wrote as a departure from a lot of my typical fic fare. I've dabbled with romantic elements in the past (I've even written an urban fantasy romance novel that might come out some time this year), but this is the first Pokemon fic that exclusively focuses on romance. And not only that, this is meant to be a light-hearted palate cleanser after diving into a lot of dark themes in my stories, so I make no bones about it being light on plot. If you like fics about sapient Pokemon, cute Pokemon doing cute things, and/or LGBTQ+ romance, this should be right up your alley.

Summary: Casey the Kadabra is in a pickle. Her trainer's got a gym battle, but Casey also has a date with this super nice Hypno at the same time. So she tries teleporting between the two to please both parties. This is going to be a warp in the park for her, right? Right?

Notes: This is a standalone story, but you might recognise Jeanne and the Hypno gang from my other fic The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters. If you like this one, I encourage you to check that out as it goes deeper into the problems of the Hypno dwelling and what goes on within their society.

---

Teleport-A-Loo

Part 1
It was a pain in the ass to walk when you could teleport. That’s how Casey mostly got around, especially going back and forth between her trainer and the library she frequented. Nothing like spending the day at her favourite place in the world, then coming back for dinner at the camp.

But today was special as she was walking alongside a Hypno… to a far away place… in an undisclosed location… near a scary mine… No! Casey was being silly, it would be fine! And this Hypno was none other than Jeanne, her date for today.

This walk through Route 18 could’ve been easier, though. It wasn’t hilly, but there was so much ground to cover, and it was grittier and rockier than what Casey was used to. After walking for an hour, she had to stop to rest her feet. She sat by a river bank, watching the other side of the stream.

“C’mon,” Jeanne called, “keep up! It’s not much further from here.”

“I know.” Casey cradled her knees. “I’m not used to long hikes like you are.”

“To be fair, if I could whizz from place to place in a blink of an eye, I would.” Jeanne sat alongside her and smiled. “Who needs buses when we have Abra?”

“I mean, if it makes your life easier, I would swap powers.”

“Nah, nah, it’s no problem. It’s good exercise anyway.”

Casey only hummed in reply. She took a spoon out of her backpack and looked at her own warped reflection in it. Did she look like a nice, smart Kadabra? Was there such a thing as makeup for her species? Did her moustache look alright? There was no way she could compare to Jeanne, who looked so finely groomed.

“Oh, so this is your spoon?” Jeanne asked, popping her head over to see her reflection too. “Nice. D’you eat from that as well?”

“Ew, no, why would I do that?”

“In case a Vanilluxe ever pops up and ambushes you. And also, why does it have to be a spoon? Why can’t it be a knife or a fork, or heck, even a spork?”

“No, it has to be a spoon.” Casey shoved it back into her bag. “A spork just sounds... wrong. Like sacrilege or something.”

The thought of touching those tiny, jagged prongs sent shivers down her spine.

“I know, I’m just teasin’. I mean, I read somewhere that Kadabra would often test their powers by bending whatever objects they could find, particularly metal, and they would scavenge for spoons in particular because it was easy to find in urban areas.”

Casey squinted at her date. “I’m not some animal.”

“Ah, sorry.” Jeanne held her flushed cheek. “You know how nerdy I can get sometimes.”

Even though Jeanne went into a lot of tangents, that was what Casey liked about her to begin with; someone to share her rants with. Even if it was a long hike, it was tolerable with Jeanne. This date was turning out to be a huge success–

Her watch beeped, with a text saying ‘where r u?’. Of course, her trainer had to ruin the moment. But hopefully, this wouldn’t take long. She typed on the touchscreen, texting ‘I’m busy, studying’. It was a lie, but Casey didn’t know how her trainer would’ve reacted if she found out she was dating. Hopefully, that would be the end of it.

“Sorry,” Casey said, “it’s just my trainer. You know, because of the whole teleport thing, I don’t have to follow her around too much.”

“Now I definitely wanna trade powers,” Jeanne said. “If I knew that, then I woulda gone anywhere and still had a trainer to come back to.”

"Right.” Sometimes, the fact that Jeanne was trainerless slipped her mind. Technically a ‘wild’ Pokemon, but she didn’t like that term as it implied Jeanne was feral. She was anything but. “Anyway, let’s get–”

Casey got another text, saying ‘WTF i told u gym fights today!!!’

“Gym fight…” she whispered, then she shouted “oh no!”

“Oh no?” Jeanne parroted.

Crap, I’m sorry, I’ll be two minutes! Stay there!”

“Wait, where are you going?” Jeanne stood up.

“I’m sorting something out with my trainer.” Casey took a deep breath and closed her eyes. “I need to focus, I promise, I’ll be back in five or so minutes.”

“Ah, right. Teleporting. Got it.”

Casey inhaled and exhaled, focusing her mind. She had never stepped foot in that gym before, so where was the next closest location? Right, the trainer’s circle in Shalour City.

Right, focus. No distractions. Casey had to be like water – to let the waves carry her through the invisible fields, through the air, and through different points in time and space. She pictured the place in her mind: seaside city, sandy beaches, great big showoff tower, lots of people and Pokemon strolling, lots of buildings, cobblestone pavements, cyclists parking their bikes, Murkrow roosting atop the power lines…

Before she knew it, the wind changed. She opened her eyes, and there she was. Casey had no time to soak in the scene. She ran, despite having the running legs of a Slowpoke. She ignored the odd looks she got and the people she accidentally bumped into along the way. Once she saw the gym, she cut through the line of a dozen or so trainers, burst through the doors and found her trainer, Colette, sitting in the lobby. Her trainer caught sight of her and stood.

“Casey.” She tapped her watch. “It’s about time.”

Casey stopped to catch her breath. It was good to gather her energy before she used telepathy, since it required making a mental link.

I’m sorry, I totally forgot! she spoke in Colette’s mind.

“Well, okay, fair enough, but…” Colette’s shoulders slumped. “I told you this was important. I thought you would’ve remembered seeing how you’re–”

I can teleport and pick stuff up with my mind, I don’t magically remember things!

“Right, gotcha.” She sighed. “Anyway, I’m glad you could make it.”

Now Casey relaxed, she saw that this Gym… was literally a gym. There were treadmills and dumbells as far as the eye could see past the reception, with loads of people and fighting types alike using them. Lots of trainers like Colette stood near the reception, waiting for their next turn. And as expected, it smelled like a locker room here.

“We should be starting in five minutes, by the way,” Colette said.

Five minutes?!

“Yeah, sorry. You can do your studies later, can’t you?”

Well, I, yes, I can! But this really can’t wait, I’m studying for… an exam! Even though she didn’t speak, Casey gesticulated nonetheless, punctuating her urgency. An exam, yeah, for psychics and junk!

“For psychics and junk? I don’t remember you signing up for any course, though I know you were interested in that poetry one.”

Poetry, that’s the one! She rapidly nodded her head. I’ve got this assignment and I need to finish it in a couple of hours!

“I mean, I wish the best for you and all, but I’ve been planning this for weeks. If you’re not there, I either might not be in the best spot, or I might have to cancel, and it could take me up to a month to get another slot!”

Ughhhhh. Casey flashed her puppy dog eyes, hoping it would work. Please? This is really important to… She blinked. Wait, there must’ve been another way. Okay, hear me out. What if I do my thing at the library, then if you need me in a fight, I can teleport back to you?

“Casey, that’s not…” Colette raised a finger, then stopped, putting it to her chin. “Well, I don’t wanna make you wait around in a Pokeball or with me the whole time. It’s gonna be a team switching thing so I don’t need you for every match.”

Okay, cool!

“Wait, I was gonna say–”

Casey closed her eyes, then teleported to the same place she was before the trip to the gym. But along the way, something whipped her face, like getting blasted by a jet turbine for a split second. When Casey got back to Jeanne, her head throbbed, and she doubled over in pain.

“You alright?” Jeanne asked, cupping her chrome dome.

“Yeah. I just teleported back too fast.” She grasped Jeanne’s hand. “This power can be a little risky sometimes.”

“I’ve read teleportation can be like that.” Jeanne’s tone changed like it usually did when she recited one of her facts. “I’ve heard cases where Abra who aren’t too careful or can’t control their powers teleport to random places. There was one rumour that an Abra teleported into the sea and got gobbled up by a Gyarados.”

“Wait, what?!” Casey backed away. “Don’t scare me like that!”

“Sorry! I just heard stories, that’s all!”

“Yup, and it’s not going to happen to me, okay?” Casey clenched her teeth and stood up, braving the mini-headache. “Anyway, it’s fine, I’ve got it taken care of. My trainer’s not going to bother me–”

Another text: ‘DONT TELEPORT WHILE IM TALKING ASDFOIAGURG’

She rolled her eyes and typed in ‘Okay, mom’.

Colette sent an upside down smiley emoji in response.

“Anyway,” Casey said, putting the phone away, “she won’t bother me unless she needs help.”

“With what, exactly?” Jeanne crossed her arms. “Is this gonna get in the way of our date?”

“No,” she lied. “It’s just… she’s studying for some trainer exam and might need my help.”

“Why doesn’t she just text you for advice?”

“She can’t, it’s, well, a theory test, so she has to show me stuff too.”

Jeanne stared at her for a moment. Did she know she was lying? Oh, Casey really stuck her foot in it this time. Why did she say she’d come along to this fight?

Right. Because she still wanted to maintain a bond with her trainer. Colette was not only her chaperone and safety net, she was also a good friend, despite her split priorities. She didn’t want to bail on a promise, but…

“Oh well.” Jeanne shrugged. “Come on, let’s go.”

Right. It would be fine. Casey wouldn’t miss this date for the world. And Jeanne’s dwelling apparently had a cook. She wondered what Hypno food tasted like. Attending both a fight and a date. Casey was a genius. Totally.

Thankfully, as Jeanne promised, the rest of the walk was brief. Despite the creepy trek through the abandoned mines to the ruined building, the insides weren’t too shabby. Although the walls and floors were full of holes, Hypno and Drowzee alike happily dozed off in makeshift beds, so it felt like a lived-in place. One Hypno in particular snored like, well, a Snorlax, lying rear over teakettle.

“Don’t mind Moony,” Jeanne said, “she’s always a loud snorer.”

“You haven’t heard my trainer yet,” Casey replied.

“Zing.”

Aside from the beds, there was furniture, shelves filled with books and board games, and even an old Hypno who used his psychic powers to sweep the floors with his mind. Once he saw the two, he dropped the broom he had held with his kinesis.

“Ah, hello. So you’re the mon Jeanne was talking to me about.” He gestured to the front room, which swam with dust. “Well, Jeanne told me to spruce up the place, so I hope it looks somewhat presentable.”

She had been in trainer hostels and camps that looked worse than this. “Ah, no, sir, it’s fine.”

“Sir?” The old Hypno chuckled and brushed his beard, which made him look like an old-timey prospector. “It’s been a while since someone’s called me that. But just Hoothoot is fine.”

“Like the owl, Hoothoot?”

“Yes, and believe me, that’s something I have to explain to everyone I meet.” He stepped in closer and eyed Casey, a bit too close for comfort. “It’s been ages since I’ve seen a Kadabra with my old eyes. Dare I say, your moustache is bigger than mine.”

“Could you, er, maybe see just a little further away?”

“Ah, right, sorry. I’m a little near-sighted, you see.” He stepped back and bowed. “I hope you enjoy your time with Jeanne.”

“I’m sure I will.” Hopefully, if her trainer didn’t interrupt her.

After the old man left, Jeanne took Casey’s claws. “I’m sorry, it looks like a bomb’s gone off in here.”

“It’s really no problem, I swear.” She unbuckled her backpack, laying it down on the floor. “I know you guys don’t have a load of options.”

“Yeah, but I wanna try and make it as homey as possible, y’know.” Jeanne looked to the other sleeping Hypno. “Not just for you, but for everyone livin’ here as well.”

“Any way I can help?”

“Nah, you don’t need to. Anyway, wanna see my book collection?”

Jeanne had talked a big game when they had their library chats since she claimed to read everything from historical tomes to literary classics. Although her shelf was small and looked like a breeze would knock it down, it had a good collection of the books she described. Even some first edition ones there, which must’ve gone for a fortune.

“And you haven’t thought about selling those?” Casey asked.

“What do I need money for?” Jeanne tilted her head. “I just find books wherever. Sometimes I borrow ‘em from the library, sometimes I steal ‘em from someplace else.”

Casey stepped back. “Steal them? Well, I’m sure you have a good reason, but…”

“It’s a victimless crime, so what? These authors are either millionaires, dead, or both.”

Casey didn’t entirely agree with that, but she wouldn’t judge. “Then again, if I had a copy like this–”she gently brushed the first-edition cover of The Five Towers that featured a staff-wielding Alakazam standing atop a mountain–”you’d have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.”

“Funny what random junk you can find in a place like this.” Jeanne absent-mindedly flicked through the pages, which also featured old illustrations of scenes from the book. One featured the main character as a Kadabra, vowing vengeance against his human oppressors as he stood in a burned-down village. The scene was so detailed despite being printed in black and white ink that she could see the craters of the moon in a tiny dot on the page.

“Woah.” Casey held a hand to her mouth. “Awesome. You can’t get stuff like that anymore. My trainer bought me a copy and there weren’t any pictures in it, and this cover was so boring. Like black text on a white background with a tower on it.”

“The covers you get nowadays are so lame.”

As Jeanne returned the book to the shelf, Casey’s belly rumbled. She had skipped lunch since she had that walk with Jeanne, and she wanted to save her appetite for the main part of the date.

“Well,” Jeanne said, “I better wake Brie up and make him open his lil’ bistro.”

“He owns a bistro?”

“No, I’m joking, all we’ve got is an old stove.”

“Oh.” Casey hated not picking up on sarcasm.

“He pines about opening one someday, though. I guess you could say that makes it a Briestro.”

Jeanne laughed at her own joke, but Casey wasn’t impressed. Puns were her second biggest weakness next to Ghost moves.

“Anyway–” Jeanne headed towards one of the other rooms–”we better get started, feel free to join me in the kitchen.” She disappeared, then poked her head out of the door. “Oh, and don’t be too much of a food critic. Brie doesn’t have much to work with.”

That didn’t sound promising, but Casey smiled nonetheless, trying to appear enthusiastic. She was about to follow after Jeanne, but then her watch buzzed. She was surprised it got any signal here.

‘Yo, 1st match, guy with three machoke here can u come in’

Okay, that didn’t sound too bad. And that would kill some time while Brie prepared the entrees. Casey closed her eyes and imagined herself in that gym. Vending machines and treadmills, bodies glistening with sweat, trainers tapping away at their phones in the reception, dance music thumping in the background…

Casey appeared in the lobby alone, with Colette nowhere to be seen. Wait, where was–

Casey ran to the receptionist who was in the middle of talking to another trainer – he squealed as she bashed her hand on his desk.

Where’s the gym battle room? she asked.

“Dance studio on the right, geez! You can’t enter without a trainer– hey, where are you going?!”

Casey bolted through the double doors to the studio, and indeed, the gym battle was about to start. To the left was her team, including Colette, her trainer, Spirou, the Quilladin, and Macaroon, the Jigglypuff, who all waved as she entered. The referee was in the middle. To her right were three Machoke who either passed the time by lifting weights, flexing their muscles, or doing both at the same time.

Hope I wasn’t late, Casey said to Colette.

“Nah, right on time,” she said back. “Where are you teleporting from anyway?”

Route 18.

“Woah, that’s quite far away. Anyway, we’re about to start, so you know the drill. You’re up first.”

Right. Casey could do this. Dealing with these three chumps would be a warp in the park for her. She stood before the first Machoke, who tossed his dumbbell aside, getting into a battle stance.

“So, what can you do, Miss Kadabra?” he asked with a smug grin.

“Um, I can teleport to random places… and stuff.”

“Am I supposed to be impressed?” He cracked his knuckles, and she mimicked him. Casey knew it was all in good fun, as official as gym fights sounded in theory. “Whatever, just don’t bore me with this fight.”

“I won’t. And, uh…” Casey was about to get her spoon from her backpack but...

She had no backpack. Crap, where was it?!

“Is everything alright?” Colette asked.

My spoon is– Wait, she knew where it was. Wait just a sec, I’ll be right back.

“Casey! Where are you–”

Too late. Casey teleported back to the lounge room of the Hypno dwelling. Her bag was still where she had left it. She rummaged through it quickly, ignoring the headache the quick teleportation brought, and found what she was looking for. Just as soon as she came, she teleported back to the gym.

Everyone in the dance studio stared at her.

“What are you gonna do with that spoon?” the Machoke asked. “Beat me to death with it?”

“N-no.” Casey scoffed. How long would that even take?

“Is this going to be a problem?” Colette asked.

No, not at all! See? She held out her trusty dessert spoon.

“If you wanted that, you could’ve asked for a replacement.” Colette unzipped her rucksack, revealing a couple of tablespoons.

But I like this spoon much better!

“Alright.” She shrugged, then waved to the referee. “Sorry, now we’re ready to start.”

Casey got back to her original position before she teleported, facing off against the Machoke. They waited for the referee to blow her whistle, then once it started, it was practically child’s play. This Machoke thought he could punch a psychic type to exhaustion, but a couple of teleports and a confusion spell was enough for Casey to knock him down a peg. He wore himself out trying to punch Casey in his stupor, then fell to the floor.

1-0. So far so good.

The next opponent was even dumber than the last. Sure, she worked up a sweat, and even though their punches and kicks didn’t do much, it still kept Casey on her toes. Knocking out the second Machoke was way too easy, though she enjoyed wrestling a female Machoke. By the time she was up against her last opponent, she was convinced that victory was in her hands.

“Say,” the third Machoke said, holding out his arms, “I’m in the mood for some aerobics. Wanna do thirty laps?”

“Um,” Casey said, holding out her spoon, “no?”

“Too bad!” He sprinted towards her, chasing her around the studio. Definitely a fast runner! Not even Casey’s quick teleports threw him off in such a cramped space as this. As soon as she warped behind him, he dodged out of the way and started tailing her again.

“Casey!” Colette shouted. “What are you doing? Just use Confusion like you did last time!”

“Keep wearing her out!” the Machoke’s trainer yelled.

Of course he was doing this on purpose. Casey stopped to raise her spoon, but she had to catch her breath. Damn, if hiking wasn’t her forte, then running was even less of her forte. Before she could cast a confusion ray, the Machoke grappled her, pinning her to the floor. He socked her in the stomach once, trying to wind her. He was about to punch her a second time when she grabbed his hand. No time to think.

Casey teleported again, but she wasn’t in the dance studio – she was outside at Shalour’s plaza. And not only that, she brought the Machoke along with her.

“Wait, what?” he yelled. “Why are we here?!”

“Wait a sec!”

She tried to teleport again, only to end up back at Jeanne’s place. The Machoke saw the sleeping Hypno and screamed like a little Machop.

“No no no!” he screeched, shielding his eyes. “Stay away from me, don’t hypnotise me, I—”

Casey covered his mouth and teleported again. They managed to get back to the gym, but not totally unscathed. Casey’s head throbbed, but the Machoke was worse for wear, throwing up and falling to the floor.

Casey looked at her trainer, whose jaw practically touched her toes. She was going to be in so much trouble. Or… maybe not? The referee blew his whistle and declared Colette’s team as the victors. They weren’t in a celebratory mood, however. The other trainer approached the referee.

“Okay, can you explain what the hell just happened?”

Colette shot Casey a glare. She tried not to show her nervousness as she straightened her posture. It would take extra effort to perform telepathy across three humans as she had to quickly make mental links with them, but she concentrated hard enough that she bridged the gap.

Teleportation makes Pokemon feel sick. I just used that against him. Is that within the ruleset?

The referee blinked. “Well, it doesn’t happen very often, but psychics have used that as an attack before here, so I don’t see why it would be a problem.” He hummed, stroking his stubble. “However, you also left the room, so for all I know, you could’ve used items or weapons against that Machoke.”

Casey glanced at the Machoke who had curled up in a ball at the corner, nursing a carton of Oran juice. Oh crap, what would she say now? Would she just come clean? No, she had to play it cool. Like a frozen bowl of chilli.

It was an accident – I overshot my range and we both ended up somewhere else. I assure you that I did not do anything else to him – ask him yourself.

“Did she do anything else to you, mate?” the trainer called. The Machoke looked at his trainer, then looked at Casey, then back to his trainer again and shook his head.

“Well, no harm, no foul, I suppose.” The referee stared at Casey. “Your team still gets the victory, but next time, please don’t warp anywhere else during a match. You can still teleport, but I want to make sure that this is all a fair fight.”

As the other team slunk out of the gym and the janitor came in to wipe up the puke puddle, Colette’s team stomped towards Casey.

“Wow,” Colette said, rubbing her forehead, “I mean, I guess you won the match, so there’s that.”

Casey expected a ‘but’ to follow, but there was none. Please don’t be mad.

“Why would I be mad? I never knew you could do that to a Pokemon by teleporting, so if anything, it’s just a new tactic we can use!”

Casey breathed a sigh of relief. Does that mean I’m free to go now?

“Yeah, sure, whatever, but remember you’re the anchor. I’ll need you for the last fight.”

She looked to the rest of her team. “What about you guys?”

“We’ve got it from here!” Macaroon cheered.

“Yeah,” Spirou said, but in a less excited tone. Just as Casey was about to teleport again, he tugged on her leg.

“What’s up?”

Spirou fiddled with one of his stray quills, then narrowed his eyes at Casey. “How long are you going to keep this a secret from Colette?”

“Whaaaaaat? No, I’m not keeping it a secret or anything, it’s just…” She glanced at Colette who poked Macaroon’s belly, making that Jigglypuff laugh. “Well, maybe I am.”

“I thought we talked about this last time.” He looked up at her with pleading eyes. “You’re not abandoning her if you’re dating someone, so why keep it from her?”

“Spirou…” Casey turned away. “I don’t wanna talk about this here.”

“She’ll find out eventually. I don’t know why you’re making it harder for yourself when I’m sure she’d understand. She’ll—“

Casey teleported again, this time somewhere completely random. A furnished study room. As soon as her feet touched the ground, something crinkled beneath her, as the floor was covered with loose sheets of various writings. They must’ve sacrificed a whole forest to supply this much paper. She recognised this–

Oh dear, not this place. Not now. This wasn’t the gym or the ruins, but the Alakazam dwelling she used to be a part of before she joined Colette. And standing around her was her dad and her two siblings, who all stared at her.

Casey! her father, an Alakazam, said in her mind, eyes as wide as the moon, look who’s come gallivanting back into my establishment! Please elaborate further!

Still writing those lame lovey dovey poems?
her brother, an Abra, said at the same time.

Will you help with my thesis? her other brother, a Kadabra, said. It’s all about the mating habits of Trubbish!

Ugh, why did she end up back here? How did she end up in this dump, anyway?

Right, of course. Because she panicked and teleported without thinking again.

Part 2

NebulaDreams

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. luxray
  2. hypno
Part 2

Well then, Dad said, what exactly are you doing here? We’ve missed you, you know. And look at all of this research you’ve missed out on!

Dad,
Casey groaned, can you not bombard me with stuff as soon as I get back?

But we’ve made so many advancements!
He levitated a bunch of random pages in the air. We’ve made a breakthrough mapping out the rate of which Alakazam creates psychic energy per second!

Yeah, that’s very impressive, Dad.

And we’re also assisting to debunk the myth that humans only utilise 10% of their brains. The lab has sent us so many assignments to sift through! How magnificent is that? We’ve been requested to do papers on climate change, the environmental benefits of exporting Alolan Weezing to industrial complexes around the world…

Casey rapidly nodded her head, looking towards the door.

Um, Dad, it sounds like you’re having fun and all, I really have to get going.

Ahem,
her brother started, adjusting his glasses, that’s a comma splice, learn how to speak properly, sis.

“Ugh!” she groaned out loud. “You guys are so embarrassing!”

Casey took a deep breath, tuning out the noise of all the different telepaths, and concentrated on the ruins again. This time, she was back in the lounge room. Good riddance. She was starting to feel dizzy with all the whiplashes she got from teleporting, but she gathered up her strength before she headed towards the kitchen. Jeanne and that chef Brie were there, hunched over an old fashioned looking stove. As soon as Casey stepped in, Jeanne sharply turned back.

“Where were you? And what was that scream?”

“Yeah…” Casey rubbed the back of her neck. “Sorry, I had to help my trainer out again and when I came back here, I stubbed my toe on something. Probably a loose floorboard.”

“Well, I didn’t see you when I went out there.”

“I was just nursing my foot outside. Again, sorry for being awkward and stuff.”

“No, it’s fine. Go ahead and make yourself at home, dinner’s nearly ready.”

Casey exhaled as she sat near the rickety table — the cutlery was already laid out for her. There was even a wax candle burning in the middle, though it was dark with no windows anyway so it was probably out of necessity rather than ambiance.

Jeanne snapped her fingers. “Brie?”

“Just about ready!” Brie levitated a bunch of fruit from the box onto the plates. Once he turned around, he revealed two dishes with pieces of cheese and grapes, which he presented for the couple.

Casey poked the red and orange cheese cubes and grimaced. “That ain’t dinner, is it?”

“Those are just the can of pays! Help yourself while the dinner cooks!”

Casey leaned left and right to try and steal a glance at her next course in the wood stove, but Brie’s burly frame blocked the view. She hoped it would be a nice surprise, though she smelled a mixture of things she couldn’t quite put her finger on.

“You can tell where Brie gets his name from.” Jeanne popped a couple of grapes and cubes in her mouth and hummed. “Mmm, actually not bad this time. Where’d you get this from?”

“Same place I steal the blue cheese. I figured I’d get something different — I know my stuff’s an acquired taste.”

Well, if Jeanne liked it, maybe Casey would too. She sniffed at the cheese, which was… cheesy as expected, but also fruity and nutty somehow. She took a nibble, then ate the whole cube. A whole slew of flavours danced in her mouth, some good, some not so good. She couldn’t decide whether she loved or hated it. Then she ate a grape, and right away, she could see why the two went together, as one complemented the other’s tastes.

“Not bad,” Casey remarked. “I never used to get why humans liked these cheese tasting things until now.”

“Me neither,” Jeanne said. “Brie changed my mind. All we need is a bit of wine.”

“Darn, I knew I was forgetting something.” Brie tut-tutted. “Though I don’t know if we can drink that.”

“Only one way to find out.” Jeanne winked.

“Can we really drink that?”

“Who knows? You only live once.”

“Remind me to get some next time.” Brie said. “A-ha! It’s done!”

Brie coughed as he opened the wood stove. Once he fanned the smoke away, he levitated something from the oven compartment and placed it on the middle of the table.

Jeanne scarcely believed her eyes. “This is…”

Pizza. Colette sometimes treated the team to it when she congratulated them on their victories. Casey never knew Pokemon could make something like this. The crust came out crispy, and the cheese on top bubbled like lava. Brie sprinkled some mint leaves over it as the finishing touch.

“I’ve tried making it a few times and it’s never really turned out great.” Brie rubbed his flour-caked hands. “I hope you like it.”

“I’m sure I will, I mean, it looks the part!” She stared at the pizza pie. “Though we should probably cut it up first. Do we have a slicer anywhere?”

“I doubt pizza was very popular when humans first lived in this place.” Brie rummaged through the drawers until he found a kitchen knife. “This will have to do for now.”

Brie carefully guided the knife over the pie with his psychic energy, cutting it into eight pieces.

“Thank you, Brie,” both of them said.

“You’re welcome. Bone apple tea!”

“Brie,” Jeanne interrupted, “as the resident Kalosan nerd, it’s bon appetit.”

“Yeah, whatever. Enjoy, anyway. I’ll give you two some privacy.”

He skittered out of the room. Now it was just Casey and Jeanne. Jeanne couldn’t wait to dig in as she grabbed the first slice and tore at the pizza. Casey followed not long after, carefully nibbling at the tip. As soon as she bit into it, it produced a nice crunch. A bit too crunchy, as it felt like eating potato chips with tomato and cheese on top alongside a smoky aftertaste. But for the tools Brie had to work with, it turned out great.

“Well?” Jeanne asked.

“I like it!” she said. “A bit tougher than I imagined, though that might be because of the stove.”

“Brie knows more about cooking than I do, but pizza cooks a lot faster in wood fired ovens. That stove over there is, like, from the stone age or something, but I think Brie’s found his niche with this recipe.”

“I’ll say.”

Jeanne levitated her second piece and guided it into her mouth. Her face visibly lit up the more she ate, which was a good look on her, even though she always seemed chirpy around Casey. What would make her laugh? Oh, right.

Casey held her spoon to the pizza slice, focusing her energy until it lifted off the table as if grabbing it with a third arm. She shakily guided it towards Jeanne’s face. It slowly swam in the air long enough for Jeanne’s expression to change – her cheeks puffed out and she snorted.

“Here comes the choo choo train!” Casey cooed.

“Shaddup!” Jeanne clutched her stomach, bursting into laughter. Casey started laughing too, which abruptly broke the mental link as the slice splattered on the table. Jeanne just picked it up and ate what was left.

As Casey ate the next two slices, she stopped for a little bit to soak in the scenery. She forgot she was in a ruined building and pictured herself in a restaurant with Jeanne. She imagined other people talking, clattering cutlery, someone playing the piano in the background, and party goers raising a toast to each other. And maybe suited Machoke serving her.

“This is really nice,” Casey said. “Not just the food, this place, and what you guys are doing with it as well.”

“I said we try to make it as homey as possible.” Jeanne sighed. “You hafta, really. We don’t have anywhere else to go, but that doesn’t matter as long as we look after each other.”

Casey shifted in her seat. She wished she could get Jeanne out of this hovel – she would buy a house for her if she knew how to. But perhaps she could relate to her in some ways. “I think I know how you feel.”

“How so?”

“Just generally, I mean. You know my family – I love them, sorta, but they don’t really feel like my tribe.”

“I get ya. Do they still not approve of the poetry thing?”

“Nah, they’re too busy doing more important stuff.” She inwardly groaned. “Anything creative or not about real life stuff is a waste of time according to them.”

“Well, if you have an IQ of 5,000, you’ve gotta do something with that big noggin of yours.”

Casey blew a raspberry. “That IQ thing is baloney. It doesn’t actually measure how smart you are, they just show well how you can do a stupid test.”

“So I’ve heard. Then again, you can only really take what they say about us Pokemon with a grain of salt.”

“I know. I mean, I’m a Kadabra and I don’t think I’m that smart.”

“Now that’s baloney.” Jeanne laid her arm around Casey’s shoulder, pulling her closer. “You’re well read, you write some really killer poems, and look at you, you’re not just following whatever your trainer says. That’s what I call smart.”

“You think so?” Casey suddenly felt hot. “I’m such a klutz, though.”

“We all have our weak points. Now, lookin’ down on someone for writing stuff and spendin’ your time lookin’ up useless trivia? That’s dumb.”

“Exactly. That’s why I like my trainer, she lets me do the stuff I like. I don’t think I’d be writing any more if it wasn’t for her.”

“It’s nice when you have a trainer that gives you space to be on your own. Mine was okay, he let me read whenever we had time for it, but it got a bit stifling after a while.”

Casey had heard bits and pieces since Jeanne was never afraid to talk about her past. She knew the troubles she faced as a Hypno and how much she missed being with other Hypno before she joined the dwelling.

“I was just thinking,” Jeanne said. She stood up and picked up a half-empty water bottle from the kitchen counter. “Does your trainer know about us?”

Casey gulped. She knew this question would come up some time, but she wanted to avoid it for as long as possible.

“Um, where’s this coming from?”

“I dunno. I get it if you wanna keep things separate. I’m just thinking, maybe if she knows we’re dating, we don’t hafta hide stuff from her.”

“What are you talking about?”

Jeanne gently placed her hand on the seat rest, but didn’t pull her chair to sit back down. “Come on, I know something’s up. I didn’t wanna say anything at first, but, well, you’re not a very good liar.”

“I’m not, huh…”

Casey really did stick her foot in it. Okay, then what would she say? What was on her mind? Why couldn’t she spill her beans? But it was such a nice night, and Jeanne seemed so understanding and easy to go along with. Casey’s defences really weakened around her.

“Alright, I guess I should tell you.” Casey grabbed another slice, which slumped sadly in her hands. “I… I’m scared. I don’t know how she’ll react if she finds out about us.”

“About us?” Jeanne scoffed. “Does she have something against, you know, two girl Pokemon bein’ together?”

“I don’t know. I don’t think so since she hasn’t said anything, but I don’t care about that.” Casey bit into the crust, swallowing before she spoke again. “I just mean the fact that I’m dating, especially a Pokemon that’s…”

“A Hypno?” Jeanne’s fur bristled.

“No, god no. I mean a Pokemon that’s not from the same team. I just don’t want her to think I’m abandoning her.”

“How so?”

Casey squirmed in her seat. “I dunno. I’m taking all this time away from training, and I don’t want her to think I’m sponging off of her.”

“Well, it’s not as if we’re not playfighting or anythin’.” Jeanne clenched a fist. “You still learnt somethin’ from our last fight, didn’t you?”

Casey gave a slight smile. “I learned you can pack a mean punch.”

“Exactly! So what’s the problem?”

“Colette. She really cares about her training career. If I say why I’m taking time away from it, then I don’t want it to put me off the whole dating thing. I mean, I really like you, so…”

“I really like you too. Wait a minute.” Jeanne tilted her head. “What does she think you’re doing right now?”

“Studying.”

“What difference does studying and dating make? It’s not like it’s time sensitive right now.”

Casey bit her lip. She had really painted herself into a corner here. “I, er, lied to you too. I said that she was studying for a trainer exam, when really, she has this stupid gym fight going on.”

Jeanne sat down and blinked. “Wait, so you’ve been goin’ back and forth between that match and our date? Why didn’t you tell me? Heck, why didn’t you cancel the fight regardless?”

“I’m sorry.” Casey put the slice down and held her head in her hands. “I’m sorry, okay? I didn’t wanna let you or my trainer down. I wasn’t going to miss this but it was my fault I forgot about it anyway.”

This was the first time Jeanne was mad at her. She could see it in that scowl of hers. And that made her stomach churn. What was she thinking? Oh god, this date wasn’t going to work out, was it? The peace in the kitchen suddenly felt disquieting. Casey didn’t know if she wanted to be there anymore.

Her wrist vibrated. Right.

She closed her eyes, focusing on the room. Smooth floor. Mirrors lining the wall. Colette.

“Wait, Casey—”

Too late. She was already in the middle of it, which only happened for half-a-second, but in that half-a-second, something felt different. Casey popped back into the gym where her team was.

“Casey!” Colette called, waving over to her. “Glad you could make it. We’ve got the last fight up, are you ready?”

Casey thought back to the dwelling, to Jeanne, to that argument they had before Casey teleported again. There was no way she could face Jeanne after exposing her lies. Why did she think that trying to do both at the same time was a good idea? Casey couldn’t have her cake and eat it too, as delicious as that cake was. Maybe once Alakazam figured out quantum physics, she could have both, but that was besides the point.

Yeah, I’m ready.

She stepped forward, approaching her spot in the room where she could face her opponent. But with each step she took, something in her tummy wobbled. It was only a mild pain at first, then it was a full-on stomach cramp, like she’d swallowed something alive and it tried to worm its way out. Casey slouched, covering her belly.

“Casey?” Colette asked. Crap, she must’ve noticed. “Are you alright?”

She couldn’t let her down now. Not when she had committed so much to continuing the fight. So Casey straightened her back.

I’m fine.

Casey was fine. She would be fine. Even if her gut wasn’t.

“Toryaaa!”

The gym leader, Lautrec, kicked the door open and entered the room. Immediately, his presence stole the attention of everyone else as he was dressed in some karate garb, like the Throh that walked beside him. His Mienfoo followed, jumping and kicking at the air while making all sorts of noises.

The last one to enter was the Machoke. Unlike the rest of them, he lazily rested against the wall with his snout buried in a book. Wait, Casey recognised that: ‘Essays on Pokemon Consciousness and Their States of Being, Mind and Soul’. This guy didn’t belong in a gym. Or maybe he did, as he was as chiselled as a statue as expected for a Machoke.

“Who dares challenge me?” Lautrec yelled. “You have made it this far, young trainer, but can you best me—” he held on that last word, seemingly for effect, before uppercutting the air—“in battle?!”

The Machoke scoffed so loudly that Casey heard it from across the room.

I can’t concentrate, Rec, you’re always too loud,” he spoke in human tongue. Wow, an educated Machoke. This guy really didn’t belong here.

Lautrec dropped the act for a moment, looking back at his Pokemon. “It’s called showmanship; we’ve gotta put on something for these trainers.”

He rolled his eyes. “Whatever.”

“Anyway!” Lautrec boomed without missing a beat, “I hope you all will be worthy opponents! Many have tried, and failed, to conquer our gym. Hopefully, you will prove yourself worthy of getting our badge. Now…” He held his hand out to Colette as if to grasp her, then closed it. “Choose your fighter!”

You’re either ripping off kung-fu movies or fighting games,” the Machoke said. “Pick one.”

“Pick your Pokemon, then!” Lautrec shouted in the same tone.

Casey prayed that Colette didn’t pick her. Maybe she should play up her stomach cramps to get off the hook with this battle—

“Casey’s first.”

Damn it. Too late now. Casey sucked in a breath to suppress the pain. That Mienfoo was already ready to go, raising one leg up.

“Will you be any match for me, The Great Kicker?”

“Um, where’d you get your name from?” Casey asked.

“Let The Great Kicker demonstrate!”

Casey raised her spoon, expecting to make short work of the Mienfoo. She had to, for her trainer. She would make this the best fight she had ever—

The Great Kicker punted her in the belly.

Casey fell to her knees, clutching her stomach. Of course, she had to attack there first. She had to get up— nope. Her legs felt like jelly. She had a jelly belly. Everything felt like jelly, even the inside of her throat — she felt like she was gonna throw up. Not to mention her cramps, which—

Oh no. It wasn’t just a cramp. This was something else.

The Mienfoo’s stance shifted. She no longer stood on one leg, readied for battle, but instead went to Casey’s side as if to help her up.

“What’s wrong?” she asked. “Are you okay?”

“I…” She couldn’t believe she was saying this, but—”I need to go to the bathroom!”

What a crappy day. Casey’s father was wrong about a lot of things, but he always said to never teleport straight after eating. Well, his exact words were ‘do not transpose oneself immediately after consuming one’s supper’, but of all times to ignore his advice, Casey chose this one. Well, she didn’t choose either. She rushed into a situation without thinking, like she always did. And now she lost the fight. Even though Spirou was Colette’s MVP, without the type advantage, would Colette even stand a chance?

Casey stumbled out of the bathroom. She wanted this day to be over so she could sleep her problems away. How could she even face Colette at this stage?

Of course, Colette had to appear in the hallway as soon as Casey thought about her. From the deflated look on her face and the absence of her other team members, Colette lost. Her team lost. Casey threw away the match. And now Colette probably hated her.

“Hey,” Colette called in a dull tone.

Casey padded over to her with slumped shoulders. I’m sorry.

Colette said nothing for a brief moment. Then she laid her hand on Casey’s shoulder.

“Should we go outside and talk?”

Casey couldn’t teleport away from this one. She followed Colette outside the gym to the outdoor garden. The sky was blue and orange with the evening light. Various Pokemon and trainers were licking their wounds after losing the match, while others sparred each other. They sat by a park bench, both sitting as far away from each other as they could. Casey grabbed her large, poofy tail, coursing her claws through it.

“You’re not really studying, are you?”

There was no point lying anymore. Casey didn’t have the energy to use telepathy, so she shook her head instead.

“What were you doing, anyway?”

Casey mustered up the brainpower to try and speak again, but she didn’t want to.

“Casey Kadabra.” Oh boy, she broke out her full name. “I’m not mad about losing at all. I know we’ll have another shot at it someday, so it’s not a big deal.” Colette took a deep breath. “But we made plans and you’re being really flaky at the moment. So what are you really doing?”

Casey faced the other way, trying to avoid eye contact.

“Why won’t you tell me the truth? I thought we were supposed to trust each other.”

Sorry.

“It’s okay. You’re a smart Pokemon, you know. All Pokemon are smart anyway, but you, you’re smarter than me by miles, which is why we need to communicate. If you can’t tell me what’s on your mind, or if this training thing is working out for you, then we need to figure it out somehow, okay?”

That made sense. Sometimes, it was hard for Casey to remember that it was supposed to be a mutual partnership, not a case of blind loyalty. One reason she liked Jeanne so much was that she had her back and treated her as an equal. And Casey bailed on her.

At last, Casey turned to Colette, gripping her hand.

I’m sorry. The truth is, I’m dating someone. Another Pokemon, I mean, not, you know. But it’s not from this team.

Colette blinked. She didn’t let go of Casey’s hand.

“That’s it?”

No, I mean, yes, but no. She drew her hand away. I’m really bad at putting stuff into words.

“Okay, slow down. Think on it a little.”

Casey closed her eyes, trying to focus on which words to say and how to say it.

I planned this date on the same day you had this gym battle, which I forgot. But I didn’t want to tell you I couldn’t go.

“Why? If I knew you were dating, then I would’ve understood. I would’ve booked it for some other time.”

But you said it was important.

“I mean, yeah, it is to me, but I’m not gonna make you miss out on personal stuff.”

I didn’t wanna let you down either way. Casey tightened her grip. I thought if you knew I was in a relationship with someone and focused on that instead of this, then you’d believe I was leaving you behind.

“What am I, your mom?” Colette let go, digging her hands in her own lap. “I’m glad you’re getting out there. I’ll always be here, but I know that’s no replacement for another Pokemon. You’ll always have a spot on my team no matter what you do.”

But what if you need me and I can’t be there to help? You’re having trouble finding other team members at the moment, aren’t you?

“You shouldn’t worry about that, Casey. Ask yourself, what do you want?”

Casey pressed a claw to her noggin. She wasn’t good with thinking about the long term stuff, though lots of Pokemon weren’t. But for Colette’s sake, and for Jeanne’s, she had to decide.

I’m not sure yet. I mean, she’s nice, she likes the same books that I do, and right now, I wanna spend more time with her. I dunno what our plans are in the long run.

“Do you need to take a break from the team and figure it out, then?”

Casey wriggled in her seat. If she was being honest with herself, juggling both her fighting career and her love life was too much at once, especially since training took up so much time. But like Jeanne said, it wasn’t as if she had no opportunities to test her fighting skills outside of training.

Maybe. She shook her head. No, not maybe. Definitely.

“Alright, then. Thanks for letting me know.” Colette took a deep breath, then smiled. “So, what was that episode in the bathroom about?”

Oh. Casey wrung her hands together. We were in the middle of eating pizza before I teleported and I don’t think the food came with me when I got here.

“Wow, you need to get back there, then.”

Weren’t we having a moment?

“We were, but you turned down pizza for a gym fight. That’s one thing I can never forgive you for.”

Casey was about to apologise again, but she saw her trainer was still smiling. That was a joke. One she couldn’t help but laugh at, like the way she laughed with Jeanne on their dinner date.

It was homecooked, too.

“Now you’re making me hungry.” Colette patted her shoulder again. “Now run along, don’t worry about the gym stuff for now. If something comes up, I’ll tell you, but it’s up to you when you want to jump back in, okay?”

Casey didn’t want to go back just yet. Not after screwing Jeanne over. But she needed to explain herself properly to her date. If Colette understood even after being lied to, then why wouldn’t Jeanne?

Casey stood up. Thank you so much.

She focused again for what would hopefully be the final time today. Casey was back in the kitchen, except this time, it was dark. The candle had been snuffed out. The pizza was gone. Jeanne wasn’t anywhere to be seen. Brie was hunched over the counter, kneading cookie dough with his paws.

“Oh, you’re back!” he said.

“Yeah, I’m sorry for bailing on everyone like that. Where’s Jeanne?”

“In one of the dorms. She usually reads bedtime stories for the Drowzee there.”

Ah, right, she remembered that from what Jeanne told her at the library.

“Where did the rest of the pizza go?”

“We ate it — sorry, we didn’t know if you were gone for good and the other Drowzee wanted to try some.”

“Nah, that’s fine.” Casey wasn’t that hungry anymore, but it was damn good pizza. “I’ll find my own way there. Oh, and thanks for dinner, you’re a good cook.”

Brie pulled her in for a hug — didn’t these Hypno know anything about personal space? But it seemed like Brie needed the approval.

Casey walked out of the kitchen and padded through the dusty hallways, tiptoeing across all the debris. With the sunset streaming through the cracks in the windows and the walls, it made this place feel really… sad somehow. Casey knew it had seen better days, but she couldn’t get over the fact Jeanne lived here. Maybe one day, when Casey and Jeanne were fully together, if they got that far, they would move to a better place.

Casey finally made it to the dorms. There was light chatter among the Drowzee as they congregated in one spot, crowding around Jeanne. She read aloud from a picture book in the Perry Pignite series.

“And Perry awoke, curled up in the sun,” Jeanne recited. “He had waited ages for his Meowth to return — as all cats do, they tend to disappear at any given notice and appear when you least expect them. And sure enough, while he slumbered, his Meowth came back, perching on their favourite spot on the wooden fence to watch him.”

“’Why are you here?’ Perry asked. The Meowth couldn’t talk back, but somehow, Perry sensed that they protected him while he slept. As it turned out, a ravenous Mightyena had prowled the night and had pilfered Perry’s crops. But the Meowth snarled, swiped and socked them in the face, warding them away. While Perry would never know the lengths his Meowth went through to protect him, from that day forward, he owed them his life.”

Jeanne closed the book and smiled. “The end.”

“Is that it?” one Drowzee piped up. “Do we have any more books?”

“I’ll hafta go to the library again,” Jeanne said.

“Can we get a Meowth?” another said. “Maybe if we use that hypno thingy on them—”

“We’re not gonna kidnap a Meowth just so you can give it headpats.”

“I want a farm, and also hold the Mightyena please, is there anywhere we can plant stuff in the quarry, ooh, what if we start one in the forest, how does that sound—”

Jeanne put her finger to the hyperactive Drowzee’s snout.

“Drip, maybe Brie might help you with that later. He’d like to start a farm too.”

“Yay! I’m gonna ask him now!”

Drip did a happy tap dance before sprinting towards the exit. As he ran, Casey noticed a faded scar on his arm, but he disappeared before she could ask him what had happened. Jeanne weaved through the rest of the Drowzee crowd to put the book back in the pile. She froze when she noticed Casey.

“Um, hi,” Casey muttered, tenting her claws.

“Did you have a good gym fight?” Jeanne asked, her face as still as stone.

“No. I, er, had a bit of an emergency. We lost the fight because my stomach was acting up.”

Jeanne said nothing and knelt down to sort through the book pile. Casey’s stomach ached again, though not from nausea.

“I’m sorry,” Casey said, stepping up. “You’re right, I should’ve told my trainer I was dating you. And all this time, my trainer wouldn’t have minded at all. So I could’ve avoided all of this.” She bunched up a fist, digging her claws into her palm. “I’m such an idiot.”

“Enough of that,” Jeanne growled, standing up to face her. “What’s done is done.”

“But that’s not enough.” Casey took a deep breath. “I messed you around today, especially when I last left. I shouldn’t have teleported away from you when you were trying to help.”

Jeanne’s expression softened — she stepped closer, stopping within arm’s reach of Casey.

“I get it, y’know. It’s hard, juggling your training life with everythin’ else. Don’t beat yourself up over that.” She scratched her neck tufts. “Just don’t lie to me next time. I’ve got nothin’ to hide, so I don’t want you to feel like you hafta keep stuff from me.”

Jeanne was right — she had nothing to hide. She had told her about her past with her trainer and why she left for the Hypno dwelling, invited Casey to her house, wobbly floorboards and all, and laid her world bare for Casey to see. She could trust Jeanne.

“I hope you’re not mad at me for doing that, by the way.”

“Of course not!” She tugged Casey’s hand. “Now I know, there’s no hard feelings, so we’re cool.”

“Cool.” Casey cupped Jeanne’s hand with her claws. She didn’t know if this was the end of the date. “So, what now?”

“Well, my tour isn’t over. There’s this spot upstairs you might like.”

Casey smiled and let Jeanne guide her up to the second floor. The hallway looked less shabby than the one downstairs, though not by much, but then they had to climb up a ladder which led to a loft area that opened up to the outdoors. A draft blew in from the blank windows.

“Right, so what did you want me to see?” Casey asked.

“We’re getting’ onto the roof from here.” Jeanne’s grip tightened. “Don’t let go.”

Jeanne climbed out of the window, Casey following behind her. The area opened up to the roof of this rickety, disused old building. It was angled, so they had to be careful not to slip off — Jeanne held her hand the whole time. It was especially precarious as they had to tiptoe over a hole on the surface.

When they finally sat down on a flat part of the surface near the chimney, Casey stopped to appreciate the view. They could see the whole of Route 18 from up here. The old mines in all its abandoned, rustic glory. The footpath alongside it where trainers, Pokemon and rangers wandered. The river, which glistened yellow in the evening sun.

“Told ya you’d like it,” Jeanne said.

“Well, I’d prefer not nearly falling off in order to see it.”

“But you can teleport your way back up.”

“True.” Casey didn’t know how that slipped her mind. But something else came up in her mind. “So, do you read a lot to the Drowzee here?”

“Yeah. I hope that it gets some of them readin’ on their own. I would’ve loved somethin’ like that at my age.”

“I was surrounded by books as an Abra, plus my dad used to read stories to me.” Casey scoffed. “Well, he read out loads of facts about other Pokemon, which put me to sleep either way.”

“Well, if it works, it works. I don’t think I’ll torture the Drowzee here by reading from some boring encyclopedia, though. Not very good dream fuel.”

“Right. You said you had some interesting dreams, didn’t you?”

“Last time, it was about that Alakazam guy from The Five Towers. I kicked all sorts of ass with him and also ate this huge cake afterwards – it tasted like grass.”

Casey grinned. “So you didn’t dream about being his boyfriend?”

“Shaddup, you.”

Jeanne leaned into her shoulder.

“Hey,” Jeanne purred. “Just remembered, you said you wrote a poem for me at some point.”

“Um, yeah.” Casey felt hot again. Before they went on this date, it took her ages to finally show Jeanne some of her poems. That gave her an ego boost. But this was different — it was a love poem, the sort of thing her brothers made fun of her for. And not just that: a sonnet. If she knew what it felt like to be a blushing schoolgirl as a human, then this was the closest thing to that. “It’s kinda silly, though.”

“The sillier, the better.”

“Oh, alright, you’re way too convincing,” she huffed. “I know it off by heart — I guess a Kadabra’s memory is good for something.”

“Totally.”

Casey cleared her throat. Her heart felt like a jackhammer. She felt it in her throat. But this wasn’t new — it was the same feeling she got whenever she showed anyone her poetry. Casey had to fight it, and would fight it, just for Jeanne.

“We’re connected by invisible threads,

the loom weaves strings into winding patterns,

infinite possibilities breed dread,

tangling knots into the stomach that churns.

The wooden cogs and handles turn and grind

to warp and weft the yarn to a lattice,

turning chaos to order — ties that bind,

steady hands that turn the apparatus.

Fibre becomes wool becomes a new shawl,

a handmade shelter to shield the wind’s wails,

your presence unwinds the glass threads that sprawl,

lending me the warmth that withstands these gales.

You’re the salve that defends me from decay.

You’re the light that keeps the tempest at bay.”​

Once she stopped, Casey breathed in and out, in and out. Reading poetry out was more demanding than she thought. Jeanne stared at her, blinking.

“Um, you can say it’s bad or if it was too sappy or anything, I don’t mind—”

Jeanne kissed her. Casey kissed back, and fully fell into her embrace like falling down a well. Her fur was so soft. How did she maintain it, living in this place? It didn’t matter. She could stay up here, stay with Jeanne, in this moment for ages, and they did, staring at the sky in each other’s arms until the stars came out.

--
Bonus art:

1653424564948.png

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Here to review part 1 for the review exchange! This was absolutely glorious!

I legitimately couldn't stop laughing while reading this. You are a master at humor.

Love the part where Casey accidentally teleported the Machoke with her to her date. That was absolutely hilarious.

Also really liked the conversation about Kadabra spoons, and the little bit of narration about it being her dessert spoon. That was cute.

The bit about the book was really neat, too! Always love seeing stories within stories, seeing what kinds of media exist in-universe.

And ooooh, looks like one of Casey's teammates is onto her secret! That's gonna be interesting.

Fantastic job with all of this! I'll try and read part 2 soon!

Joshthewriter

Charizard Fan
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. charizard
Ch 1:

I like the idea of a pokemon making jokes to themselves in the 1st person narrative. Fun little thing, since my narrative is so utterly formal.

Ha! This is fun! Casey instantly has a very clear voice that I can already tell I’ll enjoy!

Kadabra legs really aren’t made for walking. Funny little aside that I’d never considered before. They’d probably get tired very quickly.

Casey’s POV is veeeery human. Like, her little freakout about herself is very relatable, to the point where it’s odd to think of a pokemon thinking that.

LOL the spork bit and the “What if a vanilluxe pops out?” is killing me.

Pokemon with a smart watch? That’s an interesting concept. I love reading other authors canons because they differ so radically from mine that every fic I end up reading is so fresh feeling.

OH I LOVE THAT PSYCHIC WORLDBUILDING BIT.

I love this so much. You’re 100% right. They can move shit with their mind. It doesn’t make them remember anything and everything.

And it’s a fighting gym. I have a feeling Casey’s gonna be BUSY.

This little Hypno enclave/society is very interesting. Part of your longfic, I assume?

This is such a wholesome little dynamic between Casey and Jeanne. I love the “this is all my stuff and all my family” bit lol.

Casey jumping back and forth before the battle even begins seems like it could be a bit of foreshadowing that this isnt going to go as well as she wants.

The battles have that same half-serious tone as the rest of the story and I love it. My stuff is all way too self-serious and this is a fantastic break from that.

I especially loved the “shit, wrong place” bit with the last machoke, especially the “oh my god Hypno,“ moment.

Casey ending up back with her parents was a funny bit as well. I’m usually not a fan of the “pokemon can’t control their powers” but I’ll admit that playing it for laughs works. I FELT the family‘s sudden reaction to her appearance and honestly related to the “can you help me” lol.

PART 2

So, I mentioned that I felt the family’s reaction to Casey appearing. My dad kind of acts similar whenever I show up at their house and I thought it was interesting to see that here.

Did you mean Alolan Muk? Or Galarian Weezing? It could honestly be both and I got fixated on it.

Casey jumping back over to Jeanne’s place and going instantly into “nice cheese” felt a little abruptly paced, probably since Jeanne mentioned nothing about Casey disappearing.

This… is so so absurdly cute. The whole interaction between the two is cute and Brie was a delight. I really should try to read more light stuff like this more often.

My wife’s thought process actually works pretty similar to Casey’s when she has her little freak out and runs back to Colette. I could literally see my wife freaking right out and needing to get herself out of a situation much like Casey did both with Jeanne and then back at the gym. Relateable as fuck.

It’s really wholesome. This entire story is so good and I forget pokemon fics can be that sometimes. I really like the everpresent happiness, even when faced with a problem that seemed terrible at first.

Neb, this is a great little 2shot. I really loved its tone especially. Everything has a happy or comedic tone to it and I adored the dynamic between Casey and Jeanne. Great work!

Top Bottom