• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Stories From Parents to Children (Anthology)

How Virizion Won His Groom

GrayGriffin

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
any
So I was reading some of the entries for the Myths and Legends contest and that got me started thinking about Pokemon myths. So I decided what better way to celebrate my return than to start writing up a bunch of myths of my own. For extra bonus points, why not have them all be narrated by future versions of my own OCs? I'm going to do my best to have the main chapters be standalone chapters that can be understood without knowing who my OCs are, with maybe a bit of bonus easter eggs if you do know. Chapters that are more characterization-focused, have less Pokemon-related content, or that otherwise don't quite fit the format of "my OCs telling myths to their kids" will be labeled "Interlude."

How Virizion Won His Groom
A Story From the Mountain Knight to Her Only Son
A love story? Well, let me think...ah, I think I have one. It's still going to have fighting in it, though. I hope you don't mind, Cassius? Good...let me begin.

Long, long, ago, there was a prince who loved the thrill of battle. His father and mother had told him many stories of the battles they had fought in, before he was born and they turned their time to raising him. But those stories set his heart and blood thrumming, and he never seemed more alive than when the time came for his lessons in swordplay and riding. He dreamed constantly of riding astride his father's prize Rapidash, blazing with a hot fire no enemy could touch, or his mother's beloved Zebestrika, capable of crossing the lines of battle in a flash without a single scratch. But for now, his only steed was a quiet and patient Sawsbuck, who he nonetheless whispered all his dreams of war and glory to. Slowly, this Sawsbuck became his dearest companion, and the one who heard all his secrets.

One night, the prince went to the stables to see if the Sawsbuck would take him for a midnight ride. His parents had been speaking of seeking a bride for him, and it was not a thought that he wanted to entertain for quite long. However, when he reached the stables, he found them mysteriously empty. He looked around frantically, but there was no sign of his companion. Finally, exhaustion overcame him, and he fell asleep in the straw.

He awoke to the sound of eight hooves landing next to him. When he looked up, the Sawsbuck was looking down at him, alongside another Pokemon that looked similar in shape, but with curled horns and a leafy green pelt. He froze from a mixture of fear and awe, for he knew he was in the presence of the legendary Virizion. For the longest time, none of them moved. Finally, Virizion's voice came into his head.

"Prince, will you explain why you are sleeping here?"

"My companion was missing from his stable," explained the prince. "I searched for him, until I fell asleep from pure exhaustion."

The legendary nodded, and the voice came again.

"Prince, will you tell no one of what you have seen?"

The prince shook his head. "No," he said, "not if you don't want me to." He wanted to add "my lord" to the end, but he wasn't sure if that was the proper way to address a legendary. Luckily, Virizion didn't seem to mind. It looked over at the Sawsbuck, who let out a few bleats, and then looked back down at the prince.

"Prince, will you come with me upon my back?"

The prince was frozen for a moment once more, unsure how to properly respond without giving offense. Finally, he shook his head. "I'm sorry, Sir, but I can't." Virizion looked down for a bit more, then simply nodded.

"There are men cutting more of the forest than they should. Your Sawsbuck was a creature of this forest, and he came along to help me. I do not think I will need his assistance again, unless more men come. So you should have no more fear your companion will go missing. Now, prince, you should rest." It leaned forward and breathed lightly in the prince's face, and he fell asleep once more.

When he awoke, he was in his bed again, and he wondered if last night had all been a dream. Still, he made sure that day to speak to his parents about protecting the forest better, and making sure no one person would cut too much wood. Though part of him would have been delighted to have the chance to see the legendary once more, he thought that would surely only anger it.

Eventually, the prince could no longer avoid seeking a bride. As he was still given some permission to select his criteria, he told his parents that he would only marry one who could defeat him at the sword, outshoot him with a bow, and finally ride his Sawsbuck better than he could. Of course, he was sure there were many princesses who could do the first two, but his secret lay in the final task. He quietly whispered in the Sawsbuck's ear each time a girl reached the final task, and the formerly gentle creature would always end up startled by some unseen insect or stumble on an invisible hole in the ground, and nothing they could do would rein him back into order. And they were all sent back to their kingdoms, most cursing the skittishness of the prince's steed.

Still, the process was tiring. One night, the prince went to the stables, to see if his Sawsbuck was still awake and they could offer each other some comfort in this trying time. However, he startled to see Virizion standing in the stables, apparently talking to the Sawsbuck. It turned to look at him, and he felt it in his mind once more.

"Prince, will you tell me why you have not yet slept?"

The prince sighed and leaned against a stable wall. "My parents want me to get married, but I don't like any of the girls they've sent," he said. "So I've set up a challenge that none of them can beat, as long as my friend is there to help." Here the Sawsbuck let out a snort, and he thought he saw the corner of Virizion's mouth turn up just the slightest.

"Prince, will you come with me upon my back?" He blinked at the question. But instead of simply disagreeing, he thought for a bit.

Finally, he asked his own question. "Why aren't you asking my Sawsbuck for help again?"

"There is no danger, this time. I simply wish to show you more of your kingdom than you could ever see on your own."

It took only a moment of thought for the prince to nod. Virizion knelt, and he swung himself up onto the legendary's back. Virizon galloped out of the stables, and in a moment they were taking off into the air, a most graceful takeoff. The prince found himself flying through the air, seeing his kingdom from a height he never had before. It was, indeed, beautiful. Virizion galloped through the air swifter than his mother's steed, more untouchable than his father's, and he looked down at all his kingdom held. Suddenly, Virizion stopped and began galloping towards the ground.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I am sorry. The men have returned. I will return you to safety, then go confront them."

"No!" cried the prince with conviction. "I will help you!"

"Very well then. I will lend you my power."

Virizion landed lightly on the ground, and reached out to press its nose to the prince's forehead. He felt a strange power surround him, and when he looked down at himself he was glad in a bright green cloak, a glowing green sword in one hand. He looked to the side, and saw to his shock that Virizion had taken the form of a beautiful young man with light green hair that fell in spiraling curls around his face, holding a delicate rapier with a curled hilt. He was clad in a similar cloak as the prince's, but even more elaborate.

"Come then, let us away," said the legendary, dashing forwards into the woods. The prince followed quickly, as soon as he could after shaking himself out of his daze.

The men cutting at the trees had been expecting an attack by grass Pokemon, but not so much two men armed with swords. The prince swung his sword with power and fury, while Virizion danced between the men with subtle jabs that left them falling one-by-one to the ground. At one point they stood with their backs against each other's, and the prince felt something in his heart that he could not describe. Finally, the men lay around them, not a one still conscious, and the prince knelt, panting. He had never truly fought in a battle before, and his heart was beating fast. Slowly, he stood, turning to Virizion, who had once more taken on legendary form.

"We should leave this place, prince," he said. The prince nodded and climbed on, feeling the sword vanish from his hands. A scrap of cloth that had been caught on it fell into his hand, and he stuffed it into his belt to hold on to. Once more, Virizion took off into the air, galloping lightly back towards the castle. However, as they reached the stables, he paused.

"Prince, will you leave this place with me?" he asked. The prince blinked. He couldn't say he wasn't tempted, but he had a duty to fulfill.

"I'm sorry, I can't." Virizion nodded, and slowly galloped back to the ground, where the prince slipped off. There was a look in his eyes the prince couldn't quite place.

"I enjoyed fighting alongside you, prince. But you should rest now, for you will need your energy for tomorrow." He leaned forward once more, and breathed gently into the prince's face. Once more, he awoke in his own bed. But this time, he knew it was not a dream, for the green cloak still hung at the foot of the bed. And when he reached into his belt, he felt the scrap of cloth tucked there. However, there was no time to inspect it, for soon his parents were calling him to breakfast. And then once more, he would have to face the princesses who had come to try and win his hand.

For a while, it all proceeded as usual. And then a particularly tall figure stepped forward, one in armor complete enough to even mask their face. He hadn't seen them in the procession at all, and there were no hints of a crest on said armor. They picked up the blade like they had been born for it, and the prince found himself outmatched as he tried to fight past their jabs and pokes, until suddenly he was disarmed with the blade at his throat. The prince felt his heart beating surprisingly fast, like it hadn't for any of the other princesses who'd beaten him.

Next came the shooting, and while the prince did well enough, the strange figure held the bow with surprising ease, drawing back the bowstring like it was made of thread and sending almost every arrow into the center. The prince felt his heartbeat increasing at that show of power and grace, an oddly familiar feeling now.

But there was still the last challenge, which none had bested so far. Once more the prince whispered into his Sawsbuck's ear, though his voice was hesitant. As the figure mounted, it seemed to lean forward for a moment to whisper into his ear as well. The prince frowned at that, but figured while the Sawsbuck did his best to creatively get the rider to fail, he could finally look at that scrap of cloth in his belt. Reaching to pull it out, he found that it was a dark red similar to that of his kingdom's crest. And then as he unfolded it, he suddenly realized that was exactly what it was-a piece of his kingdom's crest, like the sashes worn by their trusted knights. Lifting his head in horror, he looked to where the knights were usually arrayed, and saw that many of them were missing, and several more nursing what seemed to be bruises or sprained limbs.

And then he heard a gasp of delight from his parents, and looked up to see his Sawsbuck prancing along, moving as gracefully for the rider as he did for the prince. In fact, it almost seemed as if he could leap higher and land lighter than he did when the prince rode him. Finally, the rider dismounted, and reached up to remove their helmet. Long, green, curled hair spilled forth, and he looked into the gleaming red eyes of Virizion. He spoke, and the voice echoed in the minds of everyone present.

"Prince, will you accept my hand in marriage?" The prince found himself running forwards, even as the legendary knelt down, to grasp the outstretched hand in his.

"Yes!" he cried. "Yes, I will!" Virizion smiled, and in a flash of light he stood in front of them in his full legendary glory.

"Prince, will you come with me upon my back?"

"Yes!" he cried again, and Virizion knelt for him to climb astride. He glanced back at his parents, who were still staring in shock, and threw the scrap of cloth upon the ground. He felt the sword of energy materialize once more in his hand, and heard the gasps from the knights.

"I know what you've done," he whispered. "And I will defy you for it!"

He could hear the smile in Virizion's voice as he asked the final question.

"Prince, will you leave this place with me?"

The prince leaned forward with a smile. "Yes," he whispered. And with that Virizion took off into the air, galloping along, and with a cry of triumph the Sawsbuck leapt into the air as well, galloping up until the two were running side-by-side through the sky. The prince leaned his head against Virizion's neck and laughed, as his castle and parents grew smaller and smaller behind him. There was more waiting for him out there, and he was going to find it.

The end. What do you mean, that's not an ending? Well...okay, I guess he is still kind of mortal...and it's true there aren't really any legends about Virizion appearing with a human...

He became Keldeo? Oh no, no, definitely not, that's so out of character.

How do I know that? ...it's past your bedtime. I'll tell you another time, okay?

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
This is such a cute concept--the bookending with the parent perhaps needing to explain things to a (slightly) disgruntled child reminds me of The Princess Bride, in a way, and in general the idea of pokemon myths is a neat one that I love seeing explored in all of its different forms. I think you really nailed the fantastical feel with this one; the repetition of Virizion's words each time they meet, the slightly stilted way of speaking, the magical sleeping around each encounter, and in particular the way that the prince uses his sawsbuck as a test to deflect suitors felt very fairy-tale esque (the last one reminds me of the genderswapped version, where a tomboy princess demands a prince who can outshoot/outrun/outride her, and her horse is always like nah fam I gotchu). It strikes this lovely balance of "this is clearly fictional" but also "but I could see why people would love to believe in its truth" that can be hard to capture when creating stories-within-stories, so great work here!

The tone is also pretty well-balanced here, with Virizion sounding stiff and formal but still inviting, and the general construction of the sentences feeling very kid's storybookish. It's quite lovely! I did find myself agreeing with the kid that the ending felt very open--do the former prince's armies continue attacking the forest? Does the prince continue to stop them, and does he care? I was also a little unclear to what extent the prince fought with his guards--"swinging with power and fury" suggests that there was a bit of killing happening, because swords, and that to me felt pretty extreme for that to be his first action, even with Virizion's warning. The final lines end on a more exploratory note ("there was more waiting for him out there, and he was going to find it"), and less like he feels the need to right the wrongs Virizion showed him, so I was a little curious if he felt changed by that encounter, and to what extent. It can be a terrible realization that our parents do things we would not be proud of, in the name of protecting us and keeping us safe, so I do get the desire to yeet off into the woods with my deer friend and a cute guy, but as an actual ending it did feel a little open.

One grammar thing I did notice:
The prince was frozen for a moment once more, unsure how to properly respond without giving offense. Finally, he shook his head. "I'm sorry, Sir, but I can't." Virizion looked down for a bit more, then simply nodded.
It's helpful/traditional to have different people's actions on different paragraphs, as that helps signal to the reader that a shift has happened. So in this case, you'd want:
The prince was frozen for a moment once more, unsure how to properly respond without giving offense. Finally, he shook his head. "I'm sorry, Sir, but I can't."

Virizion looked down for a bit more, then simply nodded.
(also here I think "once more" and "a bit more" run a bit repetitively--although! conversations are certainly awkward and I empathize with these awkward pauses greatly--and you could probably go for one or another)

All-in-all this was a really cute short story, and one that I wouldn't be surprised to see in a child's anthology in our world (with the pokemon swapped out for magic horses or deer or something). Thank you for sharing!

GrayGriffin

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
any
I was also a little unclear to what extent the prince fought with his guards--"swinging with power and fury" suggests that there was a bit of killing happening, because swords, and that to me felt pretty extreme for that to be his first action, even with Virizion's warning.
Yeah, the fairytale was purposefully vague in that part. You can think of it as Pokemon-world people being tougher in general so they're only the human equivalent of Fainted, but they're minor characters so the fairytale doesn't really go one way or the other, though I imagine there's different versions that go to different lengths.

The final lines end on a more exploratory note ("there was more waiting for him out there, and he was going to find it"), and less like he feels the need to right the wrongs Virizion showed him, so I was a little curious if he felt changed by that encounter, and to what extent.
I did try to imply at the end that there was a bit more to the story that the mom wasn't mentioning. The inside joke is that this OC of mine has actually met Terrakion and knows the Swords think of themselves as all being siblings, and thus the implied "true ending" of the prince becoming one of the Swords and fighting alongside them that way is just really awkward to her.

Top Bottom