• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Sticks and Stones

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Hey all! This is a drabble I wrote for a prompt in the Second Anniversary Mini Prompt Bingo. Obviously I didn't finish it in time, but I liked the idea and wanted to finish what I started. The prompt in question was (sort of spoilers) Legendary Foe.

Surprisingly for me, there are no content warnings to announce. This drabble is rated everyone. Enjoy!

---

Sticks and Stones

---​

Amy flicked her ears as if it would cast away the laughter echoing in her mind.

Jimmy was dumb. He was dumb and mean. And wrong, too. A four-legs wielding a sword with their mouth wasn’t stupid. Celia wasn’t stupid for thinking that was awesome. It was awesome! Awesomer than the stupid dragons the bagon said were so much better, anyway. I mean, Rayquaza? That thing looked like it had gotten into its mother’s purse and tried on the lipstick. Amy chuckled at her own remark that she really wished she’d come up with back during the argument… but hearing herself laughing all alone in these quiet woods only twisted the knife further.

Or smacked harder with the stick. She was still sore from that whooping. Oh, she’d tried her best to snatch that stick from the bagon’s hands, but he was too nimble, pulling back and returning for a smack on her forehead or snout or, most humiliatingly, her backside. She could easily have bitten him, but then his stupid little crew would have just tattled and gotten her in trouble. Maybe she could have tattled on them, but the thought of it made her sick. She’d fight her own battles… even if she lost them. In the most pathetic way.

She huffed and stopped walking. She’d made it deep enough into the woods to afford that now. No one would see her cry. But just in case, she leapt off the path and slipped through some bushes before finally letting her tears flow.

She wasn’t weak. Rockruff weren’t weak. The feral counterparts of lycanroc were apex predators in the wild. They’d probably eat feral bagon if they crossed paths. And a feral skiddo would kick a feral bagon’s butt! Celia could have joined her in the fight and they probably would have overpowered Jimmy and his crew. Sandshrew are weak to grass attacks and pichu can’t even make a spark without hurting themselves in the process. On top of that, Celia had very big horns for a girl - she could really ram someone into next week. But no, Celia was too gentle to fight, Amy knew that much about her. If she wasn’t, Amy doubted Jimmy would’ve had the guts to start teasing her like that. And he wouldn’t have dared to smack her with a stick.

Amy gritted her teeth. It always came back to the stick. The amount of loathing she had for a simple piece of wood right then was surreal. In fact, she got up on her feet and began searching for one just to break.

There. A fallen dried-up branch. It required some trimming to really resemble the weapon Jimmy had used on her, but her teeth worked as excellent shears. Very soon, she held a mostly-straight stick the length of her leg in her mouth. And a persistent taste of wood.

Now, how should I break it? she wondered. She highly doubted she could break it with just one bite considering most of its smaller branches had already required some chewing to trim. Could she maybe hold it down with her paw while bending the other end with her teeth? That position seemed cumbersome. No, she should find a rock to break it across with her paws! Of course, if she was bipedal, this would be much easier as she could simply grab and bend it with both hands…

She grimaced. The advantage two-legs had in using weapons and tools was obnoxiously clear. Maybe four-legs made up for their lack of dexterity in running speed, but outside the wilderness, that barely mattered anymore. In modern times, you either knew how to hold a quill or a needle or an axe or your most impressive career would be in transportation. As the vehicle.

Fueled further by that indignance, she set out to find that stone. Once she found one she thought suitable, she balanced the stick atop it, stepped back and prepared to pounce…

...but she took another look at the weapon she had herself crafted, and suddenly didn't hate it anymore.

It was no longer a surrogate for Jimmy's stick but its own entity. It had not done wrong against her - no, in fact, she as its creator had the duty of caretaker. She couldn't just destroy it. No, she should wield it.

Well, how the heck am I supposed to do that? she thought, frowning. I wouldn't be in this mess if four-legs could handle their weapons. Except Zacian, yeah, but she's a legend. One of a kind and probably not real.

Still, her paws refused to move. She knew she could not leave these woods without picking up that stick again. Sighing, she bit down on it and lifted it up.

No, not from the middle. She wouldn't reach a thing, and she'd likely only get stuck on something like a bouffalant with its horns.

She slid her mouth to the right and gripped the end of the stick. Well, that was too far. She could barely hold it up and it threatened to slip from her mouth at any moment.

She moved just a bit to the left and lifted the stick again.

It was a new limb.

She recoiled at this new, foreign power, nearly losing her grip on the stick. It felt far too simple. Or… much less complicated than she'd expected, at least.

Cautiously, she moved her head around, feeling the weapon follow her motion. She jerked her head from one side to another, and the stick swung with a swish as it split the air.

She paced to the nearest tree, bent her neck to the right and whacked at the trunk. She flinched at the impact, making a mental note not to bite down on the stick so hard to avoid toothaches. She could ease her grip once she'd started the swing, anyway - the stick had enough weight to keep going.

She hit the tree that way a few times, altering the height and angle between tries. Having gotten the hang of that opponent, she switched to another in the form of a razzberry bush - and then to another, and then to another.

Time and time again, she swung the stick, her precision gradually evolving. Each knock and swish she heard stoked the fire raging in her heart. It burnt away all else, even her sense of time - by the time she'd had enough of whacking vegetation, a full hour had passed.

But she wasn't yet satisfied, no. She may have conquered the plant kingdom, but what really mattered were targets that could dodge.

She pondered which of the mon she knew could have been interested in helping her train. Mom and Dad were usually busy. Andy wasn't, but she'd get a terrible scolding if her parents found out she'd been whaling on her little brother. Many of her playmates' parents might react poorly, too…

Deep in thought, Amy began to make her way towards the direction she figured her home was. As her mind was focused only on potential sparring partners and the stick between her teeth, she neglected to pay attention to her path - until she stepped on something that was far too warm, hairy and squishy to be mud.

And it screeched, too.

Amy leaped back with eyes wide. Before her stood a very cranky-looking yungoos, back arched and restlessly wiggling, threatening to pounce at any moment.

“Uh, sh-shorry --” tried Amy, but the yungoos cut her off with a sharp hiss. She stepped back to give the yungoos its space, but the mon had other plans - it only crept closer.

She kept retreating, and the yungoos kept following… until she decided enough was enough. She planted her paws firmly on the ground and spoke. "I shaid I wash shorry. Get ofer it."

The yungoos stopped, beady eyes wide. Then it leapt at Amy's face.

Startled, the rockruff dodged to the side. The wild mon landed behind her with a thump, but it was far from giving up. Amy had barely turned around herself when the yungoos flew at her again, teeth and claws first. She jumped to the right to dodge once more, but this time, she felt an impact in her teeth - the yungoos had lightly knocked against the stick.

This gave her an idea.

The yungoos huffed and hissed, frustrated at its attacks failing to connect. It leaned back in preparation for yet another pounce. Amy turned to the mon and stood her ground, the stick steady in her teeth. She visualized the coming leap, readied her aim and waited for the yungoos' next move.

Seeing its target had no intention of moving, the yungoos jumped with confidence. As the rockruff wasn't going to dodge, the attack was sure to meet its mark, right?

Bonk!

The stick collided with the yungoos' body strongly enough to knock it to the side. It landed with a tumble, rolling across the dirt and finally stopping on its belly. It tried to get up, but its head spun too hard for it to keep its balance until a few seconds had passed. As it rose, Amy tensed her body again, but the yungoos retreated - though not without another furious hiss, of course. The mon dove into the bushes, and its rustling gradually became more distant until it finally drowned in the forest's ambiance.

The threat gone, Amy could finally catch her breath. As the tension in her body subsided, its place was taken by a warm wave of pride.

She held her head and tail up high. Not only could she wield the weapon she'd thought was for two-legs alone just that morning - she had beaten her first opponent.

She sought her surroundings for a higher place and soon found a large rock. She climbed it - if somewhat awkwardly - and once she'd reached the top, she puffed out her chest and stared down all that surrounded her.

Go ahead, world! she proclaimed in her mind. Hit me with your best shot! I can take on any foe!

Some way ahead, near another large rock, rustling arose. As soon as Amy had pinpointed the source, a canine figure leapt out onto the rocky platform and stood proudly on its four feet.

The scattered sunlight caught the gold that emerged from its head, withers and rump. They shimmered like fire, and similarly shone the blade it held between its teeth.

A simple look from its yellow eyes froze Amy to her core. Her jaw fell open, dropping the stick off the rock with wooden clangs, but her eyes could not break away from the beast’s mesmerizing gaze.

It swished its pale red tail, jumped off and ran away, disappearing into the woods.

---​

Last edited:

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
So, my favorite aspect of this short fic is the voice of child MC, Amy. Not only do I appreciate the way you portrayed her as a little kid, the wording of her internal dialogue really elevated the story for me. Not only does the narration convey Amy's age and personality in just a few lines, the whole "childlike-ness" of the story makes it very relatable and nostalgic. For example, here--

I mean, Rayquaza? That thing looked like it had gotten into its mother’s purse and tried on the lipstick. Amy chuckled at her own remark that she really wished she’d come up with back during the argument… but hearing herself laughing all alone in these quiet woods only twisted the knife further.

--is just a quick moment of a probably universal child conflict and experience.

Amy's POV is breezy and sharp in its own way. For example, the fulcrum of this story is based on a kind of discrimination that's risen up in current Pokemon society. This discrimination isn't described in close detail (which makes sense as it's from a child's POV), but I like how Amy conveys the situation through her child's understanding. I particular "oof'ed" at this line:

Maybe four-legs made up for their lack of dexterity in running speed, but outside the wilderness, that barely mattered anymore. In modern times, you either knew how to hold a quill or a needle or an axe or your most impressive career would be in transportation. As the vehicle.

So, in summary, Amy is adorable, as is the rest of the story. The ending was particularly like the icing on a sweet sweet cake. I guessed that Zacian would somehow show up, but still I felt the awe as Amy experienced this wondrous moment. The ending kind of feels like it's turning back to Amy's childishness in the best of way; Amy is a little kid dealing with speciesiem and other more nuanced internal struggles, so when she suddenly sees this amazing Legendary, it's like a validation of her child-like hopes and dreams.

Some quick quotes and comments:

And a feral skiddo would kick a feral bagon’s butt! Celia could have joined her in the fight and they probably would have overpowered Jimmy and his crew. Sandshrew are weak to grass attacks and pichu can’t even make a spark without hurting themselves in the process. On top of that, Celia had very big horns for a girl - she could really ram someone into next week. But no, Celia was too gentle to fight, Amy knew that much about her. If she wasn’t, Amy doubted Jimmy would’ve had the guts to start teasing her like that. And he wouldn’t have dared to smack her with a stick.

With Celia, I feel there's detail and excuses for a character who didn't necesarily need to be in the story at all. Defending Celia adds a bit to Amy's character, but I think this fic would have been basically the same if Amy was the only one being bullied.

...but she took another look at the weapon she had herself crafted, and suddenly didn't hate it anymore.

It was no longer a surrogate for Jimmy's stick but its own entity. It had not done wrong against her - no, in fact, she as its creator had the duty of caretaker. She couldn't just destroy it. No, she should wield it.

This sudden switch in Amy's outlook felt odd to me. The whole reason she gives for it--"no, in fact, she as its creator had the duty of caretaker"--doesn't seem to fit her character.

Go ahead, world! she proclaimed in her mind. Hit me with your best shot! I can take on any foe!

Some way ahead, near another large rock, rustling arose. As soon as Amy had pinpointed the source, a canine figure leapt out onto the rocky platform and stood proudly on its four feet.

Me reading this bit after reading the prompt: oh, there's the seed for this story. These lines gave me a chuckle.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, dropping in for another hitlist review. Though “a drabble that you went on to expand after the fact”, huh? Boy is that a familiar feeling. Admittedly, I couldn’t resist clicking the spoiler about what prompt this answered, but I’ve always been more of the school that the journey in a story is ultimately just as important as its destination, so let’s see that this ‘Legendary Foe’ entails:

Amy flicked her ears as if it would cast away the laughter echoing in her mind.

Jimmy was dumb. He was dumb and mean. And wrong, too. A four-legs wielding a sword with their mouth wasn’t stupid. Celia wasn’t stupid for thinking that was awesome. It was awesome! Awesomer than the stupid dragons the bagon said were so much better, anyway. I mean, Rayquaza? That thing looked like it had gotten into its mother’s purse and tried on the lipstick. Amy chuckled at her own remark that she really wished she’d come up with back during the argument… but hearing herself laughing all alone in these quiet woods only twisted the knife further.

… Oh, so Amy is going to wind up running into Zacian, isn’t she? Though Jimmy sounds like he’s kinda a dick.

Or smacked harder with the stick. She was still sore from that whooping. Oh, she’d tried her best to snatch that stick from the bagon’s hands, but he was too nimble, pulling back and returning for a smack on her forehead or snout or, most humiliatingly, her backside. She could easily have bitten him, but then his stupid little crew would have just tattled and gotten her in trouble. Maybe she could have tattled on them, but the thought of it made her sick. She’d fight her own battles… even if she lost them. In the most pathetic way.

… How on earth does Bagon manage to hold onto anything with those little nubs for claws anyways? .-.

She huffed and stopped walking. She’d made it deep enough into the woods to afford that now. No one would see her cry. But just in case, she leapt off the path and slipped through some bushes before finally letting her tears flow.

She wasn’t weak. Rockruff weren’t weak. The feral counterparts of lycanroc were apex predators in the wild. They’d probably eat feral bagon if they crossed paths. And a feral skiddo would kick a feral bagon’s butt! Celia could have joined her in the fight and they probably would have overpowered Jimmy and his crew. Sandshrew are weak to grass attacks and pichu couldn’t even make a spark without hurting themselves in the process.

On top of that, Celia had very big horns for a girl - she could really ram someone into next week. But no, Celia was too gentle to fight, Amy knew that much about her. If she wasn’t, Amy doubted Jimmy would’ve had the guts to start teasing her like that. And he wouldn’t have dared to smack her with a stick.

I kiiiinda wonder if Amy’s paragraph here ought to be broken up in two since that’s a lot of sentences all at once. Though I guess this confirms that this is a PMD setting with the mention of ‘feral’ Pokémon there.

Amy gritted her teeth. It always came back to the stick. The amount of loathing she had for a simple piece of wood right then was surreal. In fact, she got up on her feet and began searching for one just to break.

There. A fallen dried-up branch. It required some trimming to really resemble the weapon Jimmy had used on her, but her teeth worked as excellent shears. Very soon, she held a mostly-straight stick the length of her leg in her mouth. And a persistent taste of wood.

… Wait, is Amy going to get transformed into a Zacian at some point? Since this feels as if Amy’s going to get transformed into Zacian at some point.

Now, how should I break it? she wondered. She highly doubted she could break it with just one bite considering most of its smaller branches had already required some chewing to trim. Could she maybe hold it down with her paw while bending the other end with her teeth? That position seemed cumbersome. No, she should find a rock to break it across with her paws! Of course, if she was bipedal, this would be much easier as she could simply grab and bend it with both hands…

Or just smash it against a tree repeatedly- oh right, this stick is probably tiny by human standards. Might be a bit difficult. ^^;

She grimaced. The advantage two-legs had in using weapons and tools was obnoxiously clear. Maybe four-legs made up for their lack of dexterity in running speed, but outside the wilderness, that barely mattered anymore. In modern times, you either knew how to hold a quill or a needle or an axe or your most impressive career would be in transportation. As the vehicle.

I actually wonder if this story shares a setting with another one of your other ones, since the overall lifestyle Amy is talking about here reminds me a lot of the world that Nella lives in in Batty!

Fueled further by that indignance, she set out to find that stone. Once she found one she thought suitable, she balanced the stick atop it, stepped back and prepared to pounce…

Oh, she made a makeshift sword already, huh?

That sounds like a recipe for getting Jimmy to run off crying for his mother and then dealing with a crabby Salamence afterwards, but you can’t say it wouldn’t be deserved for him.

Well, how the heck am I supposed to do that? she thought, frowning. I wouldn't be in this mess if four-legs could handle their weapons. Except Zacian, yeah, but she's a legend. One of a kind and probably not real.

Narrator: “Zacian is absolutely real and almost certainly showing up in this one-shot.”

Still, her paws refused to move. She knew she could not leave these woods without picking up that stick again. Sighing, she bit down on it and lifted it up.

No, not from the middle. She wouldn't reach a thing, and she'd likely only get stuck on something like a bouffalant with its horns.

She slid her mouth to the right and gripped the end of the stick. Well, that was too far. She could barely hold it up and it threatened to slip from her mouth at any moment.

Someone’s going to give her lessons with this, huh?

She moved just a bit to the left and lifted the stick again.

It was a new limb.

She recoiled at this new, foreign power, nearly losing her grip on the stick. It felt far too simple. Or… much less complicated than she'd expected, at least.

Yeah, Amy’s really channeling those ‘Zacian’ vibes right about now there.

Cautiously, she moved her head around, feeling the weapon follow her motion. She jerked her head from one side to another, and the stick swung with a swish as it split the air.

She paced to the nearest tree, bent her neck to the right and whacked at the trunk. She flinched at the impact, making a mental note not to bite down on the stick so hard to avoid toothaches. She could ease her grip once she'd started the swing, anyway - the stick had enough weight to keep going.

… I’m impressed at how quickly this is all falling into place for Amy. Is she sure she doesn’t have a little bit of Zacian running through her veins from somewhere way up the family tree?

She hit the tree that way a few times, altering the height and angle between tries. Having gotten the hang of that opponent, she switched to another in the form of a razzberry bush - and then to another, and then to another.

inb4 she winds up accidentally bopping a feral at this rate and having problems.

Time and time again, she swung the stick, her precision gradually evolving. Each knock and swish she heard stoked the fire raging in her heart. It burnt away all else, even her sense of time - by the time she'd had enough of whacking vegetation, a full hour had passed.

But she wasn't yet satisfied, no. She may have conquered the plant kingdom, but what really mattered were targets that could dodge.

:copyber:

Amy, you are going to try this on Jimmy and not some innocent rando, right?

She pondered which of the mon she knew could have been interested in helping her train. Mom and Dad were usually busy. Andy wasn't, but she'd get a terrible scolding if her parents found out she'd been whaling on her little brother. Many of her playmates' parents might react poorly, too…

Deep in thought, Amy began to make her way towards the direction she figured her home was. As her mind was focused only on potential sparring partners and the stick between her teeth, she neglected to pay attention to her path - until she stepped on something that was far too warm, hairy and squishy to be mud.

And it screeched, too.

Whelp, whack-a-feral it is.

Amy leaped back with eyes wide. Before her stood a very cranky-looking yungoos, back arched and restlessly wiggling, threatening to pounce at any moment.

“Uh, sh-shorry --” tried Amy, but the yungoos cut her off with a sharp hiss. She stepped back to give the yungoos its space, but the mon had other plans - it only crept closer.

Amy: “I-I said sorry! Wh-What do you want from me here?!”
:eltyscared:

She kept retreating, and the yungoos kept following… until she decided enough was enough. She planted her paws firmly on the ground and spoke. "I shaid I wash shorry. Get ofer it."

The yungoos stopped, beady eyes wide. Then it leapt at Amy's face.

Ah yes, now it’s time for the conkening.

Startled, the rockruff dodged to the side. The wild mon landed behind her with a thump, but it was far from giving up. Amy had barely turned around herself when the yungoos flew at her again, teeth and claws first. She jumped to the right to dodge once more, but this time, she felt an impact in her teeth - the yungoos had lightly knocked against the stick.

This gave her an idea.

Yeah, I figured that Amy would come to this destination here.

The yungoos huffed and hissed, frustrated at its attacks failing to connect. It leaned back in preparation for yet another pounce. Amy turned to the mon and stood her ground, the stick steady in her teeth. She visualized the coming leap, readied her aim and waited for the yungoos' next move.

Seeing its target had no intention of moving, the yungoos jumped with confidence. As the rockruff wasn't going to dodge, the attack was sure to meet its mark, right?

Bonk!

That… doesn’t sound like it’ll do much to faze it, but I guess we’ll see how this plays out in short order.

The stick collided with the yungoos' body strongly enough to knock it to the side. It landed with a tumble, rolling across the dirt and finally stopping on its belly. It tried to get up, but its head spun too hard for it to keep its balance until a few seconds had passed. As it rose, Amy tensed her body again, but the yungoos retreated - though not without another furious hiss, of course. The mon dove into the bushes, and its rustling gradually became more distant until it finally drowned in the forest's ambiance.

Amy: “Wait, that… worked?
:bulbuhhh:

The threat gone, Amy could finally catch her breath. As the tension in her body subsided, its place was taken by a warm wave of pride.

She held her head and tail up high. Not only could she wield the weapon she'd thought was for two-legs alone just that morning - she had beaten her first opponent.

Not sure if Jimmy will be anywhere near as easy as this to beat, but hey, progress!

She sought her surroundings for a higher place and soon found a large rock. She climbed it - if somewhat awkwardly - and once she'd reached the top, she puffed out her chest and stared down all that surrounded her.

de7.png

Since if you ask, the world will usually deliver in short order.

Oh, it’s Zacian, isn’t it?

The scattered sunlight caught the gold that emerged from its head, withers and rump. They shimmered like fire, and similarly shone the blade it held between its teeth.

Amy: “... Itakeitbackidontwanttofightyoupleasedonthurtme!
:AlviseScared:

A simple look from its yellow eyes froze Amy to her core. Her jaw fell open, dropping the stick off the rock with wooden clangs, but her eyes could not break away from the beast’s mesmerizing gaze.

It swished its pale red tail, jumped off and ran away, disappearing into the woods.

And thus, Amy learned that Zacian are indeed not just fairy tales. I kinda wonder if there ought to have been a bit more commentary from her on what she saw as an ending note, though.

I thought that it was a cute one-shot altogether, and even if I was spoiled at what things would wind up entailing, the overall journey was still something that surprised me at times. It definitely felt like a nice extension of something that was once-upon-a-time-a-drabble. The complaints that I had are basically summed up in the writeup that I had, with the biggest overall issue that I had being that the ending felt a little abrupt.

But even so, I had fun with things @canisaries , and on-balance, I don’t think that the flaws that I found with the story really get in the way of it. Even if it probably took you a bit longer than you’d hoped to get it together, kudos for sticking out this drabble, since it turned out well in its final form.

Top Bottom