• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Starlight's Fourth Anniversary Drabble Collection

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Hi everyone! I wrote three drabbles, as given in the thread for the Fourth Anniversary Drabble Bingo. MANY thanks to @Torchic W. Pip for making this card for me at the last minute! I had a lot of fun!

I hope you enjoy, and feel free to leave any thoughts you have while reading them!

Done! Thanks so much for giving me the prompts, Torchic!

“Please… make it stop…”

“Again, Ninetales.”

A blue flame lit up the dark room. A man’s face, lined with terror, was thrown into contrast as he stared in horror at the beast before him. An elegant Pokemon with cream-colored fur glared mercilessly at him with scarlet eyes, her jaws parted. An azure flame danced between her jaws for less than a second before vanishing. The man screamed in agony.

Darkness.

Silence.

Whether seconds, minutes, or hours passed, Tabitha couldn’t tell. But sure enough, Courtney and her Ninetales strode out of the blackness and into the hallway.

“Did Cozmo say anything about its location?”

Courtney eyed him coolly. “I thought you’d be asking why he left. He went on and on about regretting it—he couldn’t stop begging us for mercy.”

“That’s in the past,” Tabitha said briskly. “We need to focus on the present. And that means locating the meteor and finding Groudon.”

Courtney smiled. “So typical of you, isn’t it? Always concerned about the practicals. I like to make sure that he sees punishment.” She glanced through a window, where the setting sun dyed the mountainscape a blood red.

“Rewarded as a traitor deserves.”

“ ‘Six dots open three doors.’ That’s what my grandma always said!”

“But what does that even mean?”

Celio looked skeptically at his friend. Elly stood in the middle of the cavern, glancing up at the stalactites with awe. He grimaced in annoyance.

“Come on, Elly! We took my Wailord and your Relicanth to this abandoned little cave that no one goes to. You said your grandma spoke about it all the time! I’d like to see at least something here. Isn’t it supposed to have all sorts of dark tales and creepy myths surrounding it?”

Celio walked to the center of the room to join Elly. He looked up; water from the cave entrance bounced sunlight onto the cave ceiling, causing it to dance with swimming blue lines. It did look pretty neat.

“I don’t know, Celio! That’s stuff that my grandma always heard growing up. She said it was passed down in her family for thousands of years. There were also some poems…” Elly tapped her chin and thoughtfully closed her eyes.

“In this cave we have lived.
We owe all to the Pokemon.
But, we sealed the Pokemon away.
We feared it.
Those with courage, those with hope.
Open a door. An eternal Pokemon waits.

“Is that real? I want to see an eternal Pokemon! Come on, my Wailord and I are brave enough!”

“I don’t know! It’s something my family heard about in our legends—there’s supposed to be a different riddle for different caves, and this is supposed to be one of them. But nobody has ever found out what this cave holds. And the riddles don’t make sense—something about ‘new time, hope and love,’ and ‘waiting for time to pass twice.’ ”

Celio grimaced. They came all the way out here just to find nothing? He crossed his arms and looked up at the ceiling again, and soon, his thoughts were lost in the dancing blue lines of dappling water-light.

“Celio?”

“Hm?”

He looked back at Elly. The light coming from the cave mouth was much dimmer than when they arrived. How long had they been standing there?

“We should probably go now. I don’t want to head out in the dark.”

“Yeah…”

Before either of them could take a step, the earth rumbled. The cave floor shook so violently that Celio and Elly dropped to their hands and knees. The walls wiggled as if made of jelly, stalactites and stalagmites snapping in twine. With a mighty roar, the blank face of the cave blasted open, sending rocks and dirt flying everywhere. Celio and Elly wrapped their arms around each other, eyes clenched against the deluge of dirt on their eyes and fear in their hearts.

The shaking stopped. The two sat, arms around each other, hearts pounding furiously. Celio gasped—in spite of their embrace, the temperature plummeted. He opened his eyes—he could see his breath. White crystals of ice grew on the cave surfaces, lining the walls and turning the floor into a glass sheet. He could do nothing more than watch as ice encroached on the watery entrance, freezing it shut.

Elly inhaled sharply. Celio snapped his head around.

Six glowing yellow dots floated out of the darkness—the face of an icy behemoth that stood several meters taller than Celio and Elly. It floated through the hole in the wall, its—its face—turned to look at the humans. Celio clung to Elly more tightly than ever. He heard her chattering.

We sealed it away… We feared it…”

“I’m sorry, Elly.”

The wind howled, whistling through the trees and the windows of the ancient structure. Draco looked up: a building towered hundreds of stories above him, its crown lost in the clouds. He glanced around.

There were a few shrubs and overgrown patches of grass. Beyond the shrubs were patchy trees, and in their midst, small columns of stone stood, the last remnants of a civilization long gone.

He glanced down at his Bagon, who hung right by his ankles, sniffing the area warily. Hugging his cloak more tightly around himself, Draco looked up at the building again.

Something was off. Maybe it was the overall feeling of dilapidation, of abandonment—but Draco felt that it had something to do with the place itself. He walked to the pillar, looking up at an inky mural etched into its side.

The outline of a great dragon descended on two dueling monsters, bringing peace to the chaos.

Peace

His eyes fell to where the two monsters dueled. His family tradition was that his ancestors summoned Rayquaza to stop them. But how did they summon it?

Draco slowly walked up the steps and into the Sky Pillar, Bagon hounding his steps. Once he entered the old building—full of nothing but cracked stones and overgrowing weeds—the atmosphere shifted.

Something wasn’t right.

He looked over. A spiral staircase lead to upper levels. Approaching it, he placed a foot on the bottommost stair, pausing. The staircase was very old—was it crumbling in some places? But the structure had held for this long—it could hold for at least one more passenger, couldn’t it?

He started up but almost immediately stopped. He looked down.

Bagon was gone.

“Bagon?”

“Gon! Gon!”

He heard the distant echoes of Bagon’s cries and saw, just a few metres away from the staircase leading upwards, another staircase descending below the Sky Pillar.

He hurried down the steps, not wanting to leave Bagon alone. But how could there be an underground layer? Wouldn’t it hit water?

Draco reached the bottom of the stairs. Sunlight filtered through cracks and holes in the ceiling, illuminating wooden panels and murals. He saw Bagon standing on a ledge before a large pit.

“Bagon! Be careful!”

Bagon looked up mournfully at Draco.

“What is it? Why do you look so sad? Are you scared? Tell me—what’s going on?”

Bagon pointed a claw upwards. Draco looked up and saw a mural decorating the lintel above the pit. It was that of a large, wiry dragon, standing before a single person with outstretched arms. Below the person knelt hundreds of smaller figures, their arms behind their backs. Draco’s heart raced as he studied the lone figure with outstretched arms—the tattoos and headdress were unmistakable. It was a Draconid—one of his own.

His eyes shifted to the group of people kneeling. They had no distinguishable features in the mural. They knelt submissively under Rayquaza’s eager gaze.

“Gon…”

He looked back at Bagon. The Pokemon’s eyes were just as sorrowful as before. This time, he pointed a claw into the pit. Draco looked—and his stomach dropped.

He understood. In the pit was a tangle of countless bones, all haphazardly thrown together. The last remnants of the peaceful Draconid peoples’ sacrifice to Rayquaza.

Pen

the cat is mightier than the pen
Staff
Partners
  1. dratini
  2. dratini-pen
  3. dratini-pen2
Woah, Starlight, these are some dark ones! Unsurprising, given the subject matter you chose. Hoenn of the pokemon games can be a pretty brutal place. In "Traitor," Team Magma comes off as properly scary (I wonder if Team Aqua tortures and kills their traitors by the thematically fitting process of waterboarding and drowning). I liked the insight we get into the admin's different personalities. I got the sense from it that Tabitha wasn't excited about the torture for more reasons than just practicality, but didn't feel able to say so. And no wonder! Courtney is terrifying!

As for Sealed Away . . . poor kids! I'm imagining the ancients sealing away the regis like 'no one would would stumble upon these incredibly specific steps by accident!' Never underestimate small children.

Sky Pillar is such an ominous place. I liked the implicit connection you drew between Sky Pillar's dilapidated, rotten exterior and the terrible truths hidden inside it. The detail that the people awaiting sacrifice don't have distinguishing features in the painting was very striking to me. It seems true to me that the artist who recorded the atrocity would shy away from giving the soon-to-be sacrifices anything that would mark them out as individuals. The last line, with its contrast between Draco's conception of his people as "peaceful" and the reality of the violence of their sacrifice, hits hard.

A man’s face, lined with terror, was thrown into contrast as he stared in horror at the beast before him.
Having both "lined with terror" and "stared in horror" feels like a bit much--weirdly, it diminishes the impact of the phrases by having both.

An elegant Pokemon with cream-colored fur glared mercilessly at him with scarlet eyes, her jaws parted.
It felt a little strange for the narration to revert to an epithet when we already know it's a ninetails.

Whether seconds, minutes, or hours passed, Tabitha couldn’t tell. But sure enough, Courtney and her Ninetales strode out of the blackness and into the hallway.
The "sure enough" threw me here.

But how could there be an underground layer? Wouldn’t it hit water?
Shh we don't ask these questions.

Sastrei

Emotional spelunker
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. dragonite
Hey there, stumbled across these and wanted to give them a read!

Courtney smiled. “So typical of you, isn’t it? Always concerned about the practicals. I like to make sure that he sees punishment.” She glanced through a window, where the setting sun dyed the mountainscape a blood red.

So I just recently finally watched Pokemon Generations and the one episode with Courtney/Maxie absolutely CREEPED ME THE F OUT. I didn't remember her being so sadistic in the games, but then again it's been over a decade since I've played RSE. Well done making her just as creepy here. :copyka:
We took my Wailord and your Relicanth to this abandoned little cave that no one goes to
I forgot this was a thing you had to do until just now, oh gosh. That was a pleasant wave of nostalgia today!
Six glowing yellow dots floated out of the darkness—the face of an icy behemoth that stood several meters taller than Celio and Elly. It floated through the hole in the wall, its—its face—turned to look at the humans.
YES, I have always found the Regi's SUPER unsettling to look at, so well done capturing that disturbing quality here.
Something was off. Maybe it was the overall feeling of dilapidation, of abandonment—but Draco felt that it had something to do with the place itself. He walked to the pillar, looking up at an inky mural etched into its side.
YAS SKY PILLAR AND THE DRACONIDS! There is not enough of them in fanfic, so thanks firstly just for making a prompt featuring them.
This time, he pointed a claw into the pit. Draco looked—and his stomach dropped.

He understood. In the pit was a tangle of countless bones, all haphazardly thrown together. The last remnants of the peaceful Draconid peoples’ sacrifice to Rayquaza.
How tragic and unsettling, but very believable. Humans in general tend to see something big and powerful they don't understand and think "WE MUST SACRIFICE TO PLEASE IT". I wonder if Rayquaza actually approved of this/wanted it, or if it was solely a human motivation.

Loved the tinge of darkness to all of these. Thanks for posting!!

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
Woah, Starlight, these are some dark ones! Unsurprising, given the subject matter you chose. Hoenn of the pokemon games can be a pretty brutal place. In "Traitor," Team Magma comes off as properly scary (I wonder if Team Aqua tortures and kills their traitors by the thematically fitting process of waterboarding and drowning). I liked the insight we get into the admin's different personalities. I got the sense from it that Tabitha wasn't excited about the torture for more reasons than just practicality, but didn't feel able to say so. And no wonder! Courtney is terrifying!
Hey, thanks so much for stopping by! Haha yes, dark lore is my absolute favorite thing to read and write, and since I was on a time crunch, it seemed to be the only thing I could really delve into. To answer your question about Team Aqua... you could read the later chapters of Drowning, if you want to know
As for Sealed Away . . . poor kids! I'm imagining the ancients sealing away the regis like 'no one would would stumble upon these incredibly specific steps by accident!' Never underestimate small children.
Small children are much better at discover and problem-solution that PhD-level scientists, can confirm.
Sky Pillar is such an ominous place. I liked the implicit connection you drew between Sky Pillar's dilapidated, rotten exterior and the terrible truths hidden inside it. The detail that the people awaiting sacrifice don't have distinguishing features in the painting was very striking to me. It seems true to me that the artist who recorded the atrocity would shy away from giving the soon-to-be sacrifices anything that would mark them out as individuals. The last line, with its contrast between Draco's conception of his people as "peaceful" and the reality of the violence of their sacrifice, hits hard.
Thanks! This one was the drabble I struggled the most with, so I'm glad it came across well. And yeah, to the Draconid artist who was recording the ritual sacrifice of his people, why would the identities of mere sacrifices be of concern to him? They didn't even see them as human!

And thanks for pointing out the line edits! I'll be sure to keep them in mind. Always good to see you around <3 Hope to review stuff from you soon!

Hey there, stumbled across these and wanted to give them a read!
Ah, thanks so much! I'm honored to have people review my stuff :quag:
So I just recently finally watched Pokemon Generations and the one episode with Courtney/Maxie absolutely CREEPED ME THE F OUT. I didn't remember her being so sadistic in the games, but then again it's been over a decade since I've played RSE. Well done making her just as creepy here. :copyka:
Thanks! Tbh, I've been writing Courtney as crazy and sadistic for so long that I have a hard time remembering where I got it from--I might have had it as a headcanon before the Origins episode. But I'm glad it worked out here!
I forgot this was a thing you had to do until just now, oh gosh. That was a pleasant wave of nostalgia today!
Haha I went through Bulbapedia's pages to look for inspiration and felt a lot of nostalgia when I came across this stuff, too!
YES, I have always found the Regi's SUPER unsettling to look at, so well done capturing that disturbing quality here.
I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. The 'not-faces' are so dang weird.
YAS SKY PILLAR AND THE DRACONIDS! There is not enough of them in fanfic, so thanks firstly just for making a prompt featuring them.

How tragic and unsettling, but very believable. Humans in general tend to see something big and powerful they don't understand and think "WE MUST SACRIFICE TO PLEASE IT". I wonder if Rayquaza actually approved of this/wanted it, or if it was solely a human motivation.
This was my first time incorporating the Draconids, and since the prompt was 'Sky Pillar,' I thought a naive Draconid descendant looking for clues about his ancestry would be perfect! And my headcanon is that it's a bit of both: the Draconids wanted Rayquaza to favor them and so wanted to appease him, and he wasn't about to turn down hundreds of humans offered up as a free meal.
Loved the tinge of darkness to all of these. Thanks for posting!!
Thanks for stopping by! I'll have to check out some of your stuff sometime soon!

Venia Silente

For your ills, I prescribe a cat.
At the 0-divisor point of the Riemann AU Earth
Pronouns
Él/Su
Partners
  1. nidorino
  2. blaziken
Dun dun duuuun, the dragon / cat / something has descended for a Blitz Review of your little drabble: "Sky Pillar".

I mean, it's 8.8 / Not Enough Trumpets content and is about Sky Pillar so hopefully there's a dragon / noodle in it? Would be awesome.

The wind howled, whistling through the trees and the windows of the ancient structure. Draco looked up:
Dragon count: 1.

So from what I get at first, there is a visitor in Sky Pillar. Quite a difficult place to reach from what I remember. I love the description of how the "crown" is "lost" in the clouds, gives a good mental imagery of how tall the tower must be.

(Even tho, if I recall my meteorology classes, the Tower *could* be as short as ~300 m given how clouds and fog in general behave when too close to the shoreline. But Rayquaza is a dragon and dragons are cats and cats would not pick perches so low, so. Tall it is!)

, the last remnants of a civilization long gone
Oh is this about the Draconids? Must have sucked for them. Draconid count: 0. Oof.

He glanced down at his Bagon, who hung right by his ankles,
Ankle biter! Also, dragon count: 2. And the proper dragon choice for a Hoenn confirmed story (sorry, Flygon...).

It's a shame this Bagon is not evolved, too, because I guess climbing the tower would become such an easier feat. At the same time I think it's good it's still a Bagon and not, let's say, a Shelgon. Those things are unwieldy and heavy and I'm p sure they would not move any well within the tricky, doomy floors of the abandoned tower...

And then precisely this mention of abandonment, of dilapidation. With no followers to keep the place up, Rayquaza's perch is a standing disaster waiting to happen. Unless...

I mean, it *is* standing still. And it managed to stand, too, when Groudon and Kyogre were about to wreck the region. Must have been pretty good engineering, of the likes we do not see anymore.

(Take that, Pyramid deniers / "History Channel" Astronaut theorists!)

Draco and his draco take a look around and they get to a mural about the big, noodly draco stepping in to set things right.

So: dragon count: 3.

His eyes fell to where the two monsters dueled. His family tradition was that his ancestors summoned Rayquaza to stop them.
Oh? So Draco is a Draconid? Let's hope of the good kind, unlike that crazy saviour complex tyrant madwoman mary sue Zini-something. We don't need more people trying to turn the world to Ash just so that they can figure in the legends. Trump was enough.

But also!

Draconid count: 0 1.

A spiral staircase lead to upper levels. Approaching it, he placed a foot on the bottommost stair, pausing. The staircase was very old—was it crumbling in some places?
Yeah no OSHA compliance here, who are they gonna to file for fixes anyway? inb4 Draco There's apparently not more Draconid engineers around. That said, Draco better readies his bike. I remember that puzzle from the original games, tho ORAS shelved it away.

And now I wonder how tall one floor is and how many of those are there. I can't really imagine a perch for the Mighty Noodle of Peace being shorter than, say, ~2 km. And that's a lot of floors an a lot of biking.

Sure draco minor wishes he could be a Salamence by now!

Bagon was gone.
Nooo! Draco minor, noooo!

Dragon count: 2. :(

“Bagon?”

“Gon! Gon!”
One, phew, at least we seem to know now there's no hidden predators around here, I hope. Two: how? Where did he go, unless there are other stairs up...

Also: dragon count: 3.

He hurried down the steps, not wanting to leave Bagon alone. But how could there be an underground layer? Wouldn’t it hit water?
Ooooh so there's a staircase down! Now that's interesting. While it's certainly not unexpected (any good building also needs a good base exacavated for it, and there would certainly be some reminders of that), now it's more patent we walk into untreaded territory.

Because, ya know, with how far that tower is from everything, it really needs a good parking lot for campers.

When exploring the subterranean area, Bagon looks sad and regards a large pit. Between the mention of wooden panels and more murals and the large pit, and Draco minor being sad, and Rayquaza's mesoamerican inspirations, I can mostly this will be a nice case of burial grounds.

The two dracos find another mural. This seems to be a "prequel" to the mural from before. We have our usual noodle, a single person with Draconid markings and then lotsa other people... featureless, kneeling before Zod.

Gone, indeed.

I don't need a degree on Mesoamerican mythology to figure out what happened there, and I guess it is only expected that when Draco minor directs Draco major to the pit, the thing that can be found is the remains of - presumably and hopefully - the featureless mural people. The alternative is not too nice.

In which case: Draconid count: many 1.

It can be so freely interpreted how things went. The most hopeful past, to me, is that of a race of peaceful people who sought peace in the way they knew, and they knew well enough there was no way bak from that.

Let's hope Rayyyyyylmao is less picky the next time people are in need of his summoning. Also don't let PMD Rayyyyylmao hear about this, we don't need to know what do Starter bones look like

This was a pretty good story. Invites a fair amount of reflection and lets the reader complete and expand to their liking. The two characters are fairly static - to be fair, for this kind of story they have to be I feel. We get Bagon screentime, we get some sort of Rayyyyyylmao screentime, and we finally get a decent Draconid person. So far.

Thanks for the read!

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, was a bit tight on energy tonight so I decided to go around and do some lighter reading off my priority queue. Though a Drabble Bingo about Hoenn, huh? I’m not sure if these are going to be related to your main fic or not, but I suppose there’s only one way to find out…

Traitor

“Please… make it stop…”

“Again, Ninetales.”

A blue flame lit up the dark room. A man’s face, lined with terror, was thrown into contrast as he stared in horror at the beast before him. An elegant Pokemon with cream-colored fur glared mercilessly at him with scarlet eyes, her jaws parted. An azure flame danced between her jaws for less than a second before vanishing. The man screamed in agony.

Darkness.

Silence.

1105356025936228434.webp

Oh, well that’s quite the opening there. I’m guessing this ‘traitor’ is someone from Team Magma from the title.

“Did Cozmo say anything about its location?”

Courtney eyed him coolly. “I thought you’d be asking why he left. He went on and on about regretting it—he couldn’t stop begging us for mercy.”

Yeah, I figured. Even if I’ve always done a double-take at Tabitha’s name, since he very much does not look like a ‘Tabitha’ at first glance.

“That’s in the past,” Tabitha said briskly. “We need to focus on the present. And that means locating the meteor and finding Groudon.”

Probably a good thing that the drabble ended here, since I can already tell that things got really
401074476474957834.webp
really fast afterwards.

Sealed Away

“ ‘Six dots open three doors.’ That’s what my grandma always said!”

“But what does that even mean?”

It means that we’re in a Regi-themed drabble, kiddos.

Celio looked skeptically at his friend. Elly stood in the middle of the cavern, glancing up at the stalactites with awe. He grimaced in annoyance.

“Come on, Elly! We took my Wailord and your Relicanth to this abandoned little cave that no one goes to. You said your grandma spoke about it all the time! I’d like to see at least something here. Isn’t it supposed to have all sorts of dark tales and creepy myths surrounding it?”

Wait, Celio? As in the PSS programmer from FRLG? Or is he an OC in this drabble?

Celio walked to the center of the room to join Elly. He looked up; water from the cave entrance bounced sunlight onto the cave ceiling, causing it to dance with swimming blue lines. It did look pretty neat.

de7.png

“I don’t know, Celio! That’s stuff that my grandma always heard growing up. She said it was passed down in her family for thousands of years. There were also some poems…” Elly tapped her chin and thoughtfully closed her eyes.

“In this cave we have lived.
We owe all to the Pokemon.
But, we sealed the Pokemon away.
We feared it.
Those with courage, those with hope.
Open a door. An eternal Pokemon waits.

Ah yes, it is a Regi drabble. Though with that combination of Pokémon between the two…
1105356025936228434.webp

“Is that real? I want to see an eternal Pokemon! Come on, my Wailord and I are brave enough!

Nine words spoken seconds from disaster.

“I don’t know! It’s something my family heard about in our legends—there’s supposed to be a different riddle for different caves, and this is supposed to be one of them,” Elly explained. “But nobody has ever found out what this cave holds. And the riddles don’t make sense—something about ‘new time, hope and love,’ and ‘waiting for time to pass twice.’ ”

Yeeeeeeeah, those puzzles back in RSE were kinda a pain, weren’t they?

Celio grimaced. They came all the way out here just to find nothing? He crossed his arms and looked up at the ceiling again, and soon, his thoughts were lost in the dancing blue lines of dappling water-light.

“Celio?”

“Hm?”

He looked back at Elly. The light coming from the cave mouth was much dimmer than when they arrived. How long had they been standing there?

“We should probably go now. I don’t want to head out in the dark.”

“Yeah…”

Can’t tell if they’re just going to leave here or if they’re going to get a nasty Regi-related surprise. Given the length of this drabble, I suppose we’ll find out really quickly.

Before either of them could take a step, the earth rumbled. The cave floor shook so violently that Celio and Elly dropped to their hands and knees. The walls wiggled as if made of jelly, stalactites and stalagmites snapping in twine. With a mighty roar, the blank face of the cave blasted open, sending rocks and dirt flying everywhere. Celio and Elly wrapped their arms around each other, eyes clenched against the deluge of dirt on their eyes and fear in their hearts.

Well, that was certainly fast. Nasty Regi-related surprise, it is.
994427253242990704.webp

The shaking stopped. The two sat, arms around each other, hearts pounding furiously. Celio gasped—in spite of their embrace, the temperature plummeted. He opened his eyes—he could see his breath. White crystals of ice grew on the cave surfaces, lining the walls and turning the floor into a glass sheet. He could do nothing more than watch as ice encroached on the watery entrance, freezing it shut.

701003665086873601.webp

Yeah, these two aren’t making it out of the drabble alive, are they?

Elly inhaled sharply. Celio snapped his head around.

Six glowing yellow dots floated out of the darkness—the face of an icy behemoth that stood several meters taller than Celio and Elly. It floated through the hole in the wall, its—its face—turned to look at the humans. Celio clung to Elly more tightly than ever. He heard her chattering.

We sealed it away… We feared it…”

“I’m sorry, Elly.”

699082306027126844.webp

Well that certainly got dark in short order. Though I suppose it is only logical that there had to have been other trainers that bumbled into the Regi caves in Hoenn over the ages while being dramatically less prepared than Brendan/May.

Sky Pillar
The wind howled, whistling through the trees and the windows of the ancient structure. Draco looked up: a building towered hundreds of stories above him, its crown lost in the clouds. He glanced around.

I’m… guessing that this is not the NPC trainer from Unova, huh?

There were a few shrubs and overgrown patches of grass. Beyond the shrubs were patchy trees, and in their midst, small columns of stone stood, the last remnants of a civilization long gone.

He glanced down at his Bagon, who hung right by his ankles, sniffing the area warily. Hugging his cloak more tightly around himself, Draco looked up at the building again.

I’m guessing that this is some sort of OC, since the guy named ‘Draco’ from the games is really, really different from this.

The outline of a great dragon descending on two dueling monsters, bringing peace to the chaos.

Ah yes, Rayquaza the last time he came out to pull a:

cdc.jpg

on Groudon and Kyogre.
Peace

His eyes fell to where the two monsters dueled. His family tradition was that his ancestors summoned Rayquaza to stop them. But how did they summon it?

Oh, so Draco is a Draconid. Though with that name… is he meant to be their progenitor as a people?

Draco slowly walked up the steps and into the Sky Pillar, Bagon hounding his steps. Once he entered the old building—full of nothing but cracked stones and overgrowing weeds—the atmosphere shifted.

Something wasn’t right.

Ah yes, only good things can come from this with how this is the roosting place of a giant lindwurm that gets crabby when its airspace is violated.

He looked over. A spiral staircase lead to upper levels. Approaching it, he placed a foot on the bottommost stair, pausing. The staircase was very old—was it crumbling in some places? But the structure had held for this long—it could hold for at least one more passenger, couldn’t it?

Bruh, if you’re thinking about this in live-time, that’s a really bad sign for the structural integrity of those stairs.

He started up but almost immediately stopped. He looked down.

Bagon was gone.

“Bagon?”

Bagon went for an impromptu attempt at flying lessons, didn’t he?

“Gon! Gon!”

He heard the distant echoes of Bagon’s cries and saw, just a few metres away from the staircase leading upwards, another staircase descending below the Sky Pillar.

Oh, no flying lessons. Probably for the best, since that feels like a way to easily cause some sort of structural collapse.

Draco reached the bottom of the stairs. Sunlight filtered through cracks and holes in the ceiling, illuminating wooden panels and murals. He saw Bagon standing on a ledge before a large pit.

“Bagon! Be careful!”

Bagon:
169dd3be7208180389298e086cefca17.gif

Bagon looked up mournfully at Draco.

“What is it? Why do you look so sad? Are you scared? Tell me—what’s going on?”

Bagon pointed a claw upwards. Draco looked up and saw a mural decorating the lintel above the pit. It was that of a large, wiry dragon, standing before a single person with outstretched arms. Below the person knelt hundreds of smaller figures, their arms behind their backs. Draco’s heart raced as he studied the lone figure with outstretched arms—the tattoos and headdress were unmistakable. It was a Draconid—one of his own.

Okay, so that confirms that Draco is an OC. Though I suppose that I should be a lot less surprised that a Draconid of all people would have ‘Draco’ as a name in their culture.

His eyes shifted to the group of people kneeling. They had no distinguishable features in the mural. They knelt submissively under Rayquaza’s eager gaze.

It took me a couple reads to realize what I was looking at here, but when I did, it was a major
401074476474957834.webp
moment. Certainly believable that the practice of human sacrifice would've developed in a human culture somewhere in Pokéworld, but dark as hell.

“Gon…”

He looked back at Bagon. The Pokemon’s eyes were just as sorrowful as before. This time, he pointed a claw into the pit. Draco looked—and his stomach dropped.

Wait, sorrowful? Oh boy, that’s not a good omen there. .-.

699082306027126844.webp

Ah yes, just casually coming across the remains of an ancient mass human sacrifice. Lovely.

Boy that got a lot darker than I was expecting, though it did a pretty good job at feeling believable since the mythos surrounding Hoenn’s legendaries always have had an undercurrent of making the player feel small and at the mercy of powers much greater than them. Even so, the scenarios were all nicely varied in perspective and premise, even if I’m not fully sure if they all occurred in the “present day” of the setting or not.

I don’t have too much to complain about for these drabbles beyond a couple parts where I spotted typos or else didn’t quite agree with how a paragraph here or there was formatted. What’s there is pretty smooth in prose and feels surprisingly complete for what are essentially three snapshots in time drawn from different places in Hoenn. I am curious as to whether or not these are meant to share a setting with Drowning or if they’re meant to be standalone.

Though good work, @Starlight Aurate . I’m unsure if I’ll be able to get to it during Review Blitz proper, but you’ve definitely gotten me interested in checking out some of your other fare, especially Drowning to get a better look at your take on Hoenn and what it’s like.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Howdy! Maybe I’m a strange person, but once I heard Fobbie comment on how dark your drabbles are, I was even more interested in checking them out. 😂 I’m not really one for grimdark stuff, generally speaking—but dark short stories? Those are kind of my jam, I’ve realized.

First we have Traitor, and oh no poor Cosmo 😭 man your depiction of Courtney here is solid. She really is a total psychopath. Of course, Tabitha isn’t much better, but he’s more goal-oriented while Courtney just kinda wants to watch the world burn…literally. It’s a fascinating insight into these two and how different they are.

Sealed Away brought a pleasant surprise by showcasing Celio! I assume this is THE Celio from FireRed and LeafGreen, which is delightful because he’s such an overlooked character. (Also it makes this little snippet more hopeful because we know he manages to survive this to go on and invent the new PC on the islands!) But wow, you do an excellent job of making Regice’s awakening properly terrifying, ominous, and even other-worldly. The ancient messages in the Regi tombs have always been rather…eerie. Probably for good reasons. Move over Ruined Quartet, the Regi trio had the title of ominous/scary legendaries first!

Sky Pillar was—wow, all that build-up to the last sentence hit HARD. What a big yikes. And Poor Bagon seemed to understand everything a lot faster than Draco did. I can’t imagine learning that everything about your ancestors had been a lie—a lie covering up a very, very dark truth. The execution in that reveal was marvelous.

These are all chilling in their own way, all of them providing different insights and perspectives to various terrible events. From the villains to the innocent and overly-curious children to the naive explorer, I rather enjoyed getting to see these snippets of a darker side of the Pokémon world. You’ve shown you can write all kinds of atmospheres and moods, and it makes me excited to check out even more of your work! Well done! 💛

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Review repsonse for all three drables.

Hi figured i'd swing in and drop a line. Dark mon ficlets? I am quite enthusiastic to tackle these little gems.

traitor

Ah a magma centric bit? Someones crossed either the mission or the Boss if slow immoltation via Ninetails is thier final fate. And nice deviation using a traditional "friendly fuzzy wholesome 'mon" as executioner. It was a nice touch. Tabitha and Courtneys back and forth felt real to canon, they are very dedicated to thier cause (enough to let go of most of thier social contracts) and thiers consequences to that sort of thing. Which we get to glimpse in thier priorities with Tabitha fixating on "whats next" and Courtney having spent a sizable span twisting the knife.

Its a nice break from the common Nerd Squad Magm vibe that is common in fanfic, with Tabi being the "big fun", Court's "just there", woobification they go through and feels real to game and manga canons.

sealed away

And we are viaiting our fave brail marked mon.

So ellys our lore keeper and celio the adventerpus one. Right off the cuff It seems ominous that both trainers don't have dive and surf capable mon...

I mean i hate to break it to celio but a quick wiki walk about legends in the geological area would scratch that "what tales" complaint they are having. Also they seems a bit disrespectful of the area which could lead to bad things happening to them...

Elly despite knowing little knows enough to jingle a red flag here. Poetic and relevent lore married to a "dont open taboo/dangerous" theres suspense and horror movie vibes with that wonderful combination...

And the kids woke it up... All accidental. With thier escape being sealed (could one of thier mon blast/melt the exit open?) And lack of pokeballs (well by how they act, this one fact kinda felt wierd considering canonically everyone has ninty million of the red and white balls) I suspect theres gunna be two new ice statues decorating the legends cave soon.

sky pillar

Dracos realization reminds me of the real life reactions to the archeologist comunity having to backpeddel from thier "discoveries" of the mayan peoples. Things werent as benign as they seemed.

Granted Dracos in a do or die moment, trying to channel a "pacifist" entity to his aide to help defend others against two godzilla themed monsters (the contradiction of ideas seems to have skated over his head) so you can fogive him missing the warnings...

But the state of the grounds/environ feels like warning number one... A place that housed a savior would be cherrished, upkept, ect by greatful descendents if no one else... The desolation/abandonment and structure reminds me of the sandia national laboratories warnings.

And it seems the mon found the warning before the human did and pieced it together insanely fast too.. Granted he moght of smelled the bones/remains but that does put Dracos quest in quite the bind. Leave his region to drown or be torched by magma/aquas opus or awaken a creature that demanded genocide to intervene and hope its not peckish.

Of the three pieces i found the last the best read. If you wanted to expand on any of it it feels to have the most potential.

The first was a fun character study. The second a spotty horror scene (aka dumb teens go to dangerous place and do dumb taboo thing) but the last is a hope crushing "what if" that has so mich potential to be played with.

If Ray' was woken and catching failed would it step in save the day... And demand payment post facto?. Its prefered chosen arent around so who would it pick to subsitute? The civilians of sootopolis, the Elite, the Teams. Everyone and everything? Or would it sit on its coils and watch the maddness unfold. Apathetic.

Top Bottom