• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Spirits' Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"It seems to be a local astral plane," Buffet said. "Don't stray too far, now. It's a real hassle to recover foreign souls that stray too far from me."

Owen nodded. "If you went too deep into my world's, your body just became a shapeless ember. Hard to distinguish unless you call out..."

"I should be immune to those effects, as a Voice," Buffet said. "But do be careful regardless here."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales glanced briefly at Koamaru, before nodding at Buffet. “Indeed. This is the Twilight, the resting place of departed souls with kind hearts,” he explained, before motioning toward a few distant embers. The spirits were chasing each other, with the faint phantoms of a cream-colored Rockruff and an orange-colored Tropius projecting from their centers. “Freed from their mortal coils and their mental and spiritual baggages, they now roam peacefully in this safe haven.”

The Ninetales paused to take in on that mystical place — no living soul outside of mediums had ever stepped into that ethereal place. In a sense, he felt privileged.

“Very well. We must stick together, I understand. Now, where could she b—?”

“You. What brings you here, in the realm of the departed?”

“Hm?”

Icetales glanced behind him, and to his surprise, the purple ember was basically in front of his muzzle. Only a few centimeters were between his nose and the soul.

“Ah! Huh… Greetings, um…?”

The ember sputtered some small flames, while the core became white and brighter.

“…Oh. Of all places, I would have never expected to see thee here…”

Icetales blinked in puzzlement, then tilted his head. “That voice…”

“Hmph. Let us cut the chase, shall we?”

The ember burst with an explosion of light, with phantom energy pouring from the center and bright enough to temporarily blind whoever looked at it. Icetales grunted as he was forced to close and rub his eyes, and when he reopened them he noticed…

“Now thou recognize me?”

Icetales opened his mouth, but no word came out of his throat at first. What was floating in front of the group was a Ninetales with a slender and elegant physique, with her mane flowing and drifting like a spectral gust. Plumes of will-o-wisps blazed at the tips of her tails, while long locks shrouded her eyes completely. A dark purple aura glowed around her figure, which made her look like some ghost from some tale to scare pups.

The sight could be considered equally dreadful and marvelous, but for Icetales that was only dreadful. Of all souls he had to meet there, why did it have to be the actual Spiritual Witch of Borealis?

That… wasn’t going to be a pleasant meeting, he could tell.

“…Seventh,” he muttered, his gaze fixed on his sister.

“Tenth,” she replied, her voice monotone and emotionless. “I shall ask this once more. What brings you here? Thou know as well as I that the Twilight is not the place for living souls, thou foolish brother. Less so for twisted souls.”

Icetales didn’t reply, his ears flattening against his head and his eyes narrowed.

Oh, yes. Meeting his siblings was always as much fun as eating nails.

Last edited:

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Hey," Owen said firmly. "We'll be out of your aether as soon as we can. Icetales is looking for his mother. We're busy saving another world, and Icetales has been a great help, but during our down-time we have extra things that we can do to ease our minds."

Buffet gave Owen an odd look. That was quite unlike him; the Hydreigon Voice couldn't recall the last time he'd truly raised his voice in that way before. Then again, he did seem a little agitated on his way to Treasure Town...

"It truly is only a brief visit," Buffet said. "We shouldn't be far for long. I am a spiritual ambassador, you could say, and these three are under my care while traveling. If this is truly a place for kindhearted spirits, then I can only hope that such kindness is offered to benevolent guests such as myself."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
“Freed from their mortal coils and their mental and spiritual baggages, they now roam peacefully in this safe haven.”
What would that feel like? To leave behind all the fears and baggage of this world? What indeed....

Setting the curious thought aside, he focused. He didn't really know what to look for, only that Icetales hoped to meet his mother. What would she look like? He was about to ask when another spirit appeared.

Koa watched, fascinated at first, as it addressed Icetales, then revealed itself to be a peculiar Ninetales. But as it spoke, an anger began to simmer inside Koa. Something about this spirits tone, the way it addressed Icetales... he didn't like it. Seventh? Did that mean this was one of his siblings? His sister? He didn't much like her so far.

Thou know as well as I that the Twilight is not the place for living souls, thou foolish brother. Less so for twisted souls.”

His lip curled slightly, revealing his teeth ever so slightly. "Then why are you here?" the sarcastic words slipped out before he could think on it more, but he didn't regret it, either. He fell silent, content for the moment to let Owen or Buffet or anyone else speak further.

He did try his best to catch Icetales eye however, and offer a reassuring smile.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Seventh’s ears twitched, but if she was angry about Owen’s outburst or Koamaru’s sarcasm, she didn’t really show it. Slowly, she turned her face toward the Charizard, the rest of the body immobile as if made of stone. Though, by the way she angled her muzzle, it seemed like she was looking at some distant star, instead.

The tips of her tails glowed once, making some purple sparkles surround Owen and a bright silhouette flicker into view. It was bizarre, as it seemed that the visible soul was one, but also many at the same time.

The Spiritual Witch was intrigued, but she didn’t lower her guard.

“…To the entity living in the current time and responsible of that statement, thou better remember that thou art under my jurisdiction,” she said with a stern and uncompromising tone. “I do not know any ‘Icetales’, and whatever business you have in another word is not my concern.” Her ears twitched again. “You might have traversed the wrong spiritual plane.”

“…Actually, I am that ‘Icetales’…” murmured Tenth, rubbing his cheek. “It is just that—”

“So thou go by a pseudonym, Tenth?” inquired Seventh, turning toward her brother. “And a ridiculous one, at that.”

Tenth frowned. “It is not ridiculous. My friend Firetales gave it to me. It is a symbol of our friendship.”

“…I shall not even inquire about this ‘Firetales’. They sound already like a loony.”

Tenth growled. “Now thou take that back…”

However, Seventh ignored him to focus on the other disrespectful soul. Her tails glowed once more, and a silhouette of a young human appeared around Koamaru.

“…Human, youthful and foolish,” she commented, before turning away with a huff. “If there is some soul that does not belong here, it is thou. We had enough issues with humans in the past, we do not need them to fester this place, too.”

“That happened centuries ago, Seventh…” grumbled Tenth, his tails lashing. “He is not like that. He is a good lad.”

“All I see is a whelp. Plain and simple.”

“Thou were always such a good judge of character,” said Tenth with sarcasm. “I reckon seeing souls makes thee believe thou can see them for what they really are, hm?”

“That, but unironically.”

“Right… Sure. As thou say.”

Lastly, she focused on Buffet. Another glow from her tails, another flickering soul. Long lines seemed to come from that spirit, probably tied to another spiritual plane. Also, he used a respectful tone? Ah. Finally someone who knew how to behave.

“If that means you all will get off my tails sooner, then… fair. I shall lend my services.” Seventh tilted her head. “Even though, if you are looking for Tenth’s actual mother, then you are in the wrong place. She is still among the living, so…”

Tenth gasped. “My… Art thou talking about my real mother?”

“The Thievul? Yes. She is still alive… somewhere. Her soul is not here, if thou art wondering. Howbeit, her whereabouts in the alive world are unknown to me.”

Well, that wasn’t exactly the news he was looking for, but it was interesting to know that his biological mother was still alive. He probably would have needed to reach out for her, once he was back home.

“Did I satisfy your curiosity? Will you depart to our world?”

“Hold there, Seventh. Who I am looking for is Mother. Thou know, the one who took care of us.”

“…Thou mean my mother, then.”

Our mother! I do not care if we do not share blood, she is my mother, too!” snapped Tenth, before shaking his head. There was no point in arguing with his sister. “Regardless, I desire to confer with her, as I am in dire need some guidance. Where can we find her?”

Throughout the entire meeting, Seventh had always kept a firm and emotionless stance, but that last question seemed to have hit something. Her lips curled downward and she lowered her muzzle toward the inexistent floor.

“This… I do not know…”

Last edited:

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Oh, that's too bad..." Buffet nodded sadly. "I'm sorry if that upset you."

"For someone with so much authority," Owen said, "I don't think she needs much pity." His tone could match Icetales' temperature. "You're fine without us, if that's how you're going to treat him." He jerked his head in Icetales' direction.

There was nothing Owen hated more than those who used their power to belittle.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Tenth glanced at Owen, with the sinking feeling that something about Seventh had upset him. Nothing that surprised him, to be fair — Seventh was always a pawful to deal with, even among the family.

However, in exchange, there was something about what Owen said that made her snap her attention back to him. “Tch. I treat him the way he deserves to be treated,” her tone darkened, “like the imposter and curse he is.”

Tenth felt uncomfortable by the amount of venom and ice he detected in his sister’s voice. Even after everything they went through and the madness that affected their country — which was definitely not his fault — she still saw him like a plague?

“A tenth tail… Pah! They are only an endless source of sorrow and disgrace!”

“Thou… always put too much stock into those folktales. I am… not a…” Tenth’s voice trailed off, feeling uncertain about his own words.

“So, what now? You are going to cuddle the oh-poor-Tenth and be swayed by his Ninetales appearance?” Seventh snorted. “Ha! That is all a facade. He is a facade. Tenth might be able to fool everyone… but not me.”

After uttering those last words, Seventh lifted the mane on her head to reveal her eyes. However, there was something uncanny about them, as they seemed to be focused on… nothing.

Pale. Unmoving. Pupils that never saw anything and could never see anything.

“He could never fool me…”

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"Maybe you're the facade. Maybe you just sit up here all day, thinking you're so high and mighty to hide that you feel like a pathetic and sorry excuse for a sister and a pokemon," Koa growled, leering at her, eyes cold.

He glanced over at Icetales, who seemed hurt by her comment. "The only facade here is her lies," he turned back to regard his so called 'sister', "-Lies spoken by a gutless coward who chose fear and ignorance over sanity."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen snorted, eyes and pupils narrowed. "I'm a demon, too, you know," he said lowly. "Why don't you take a closer look at my spirit and see for yourself what I've done."

"Now, let's not get hostile..." Buffet said nervously. "We are just guests here. We don't need to disturb the peace..."

"I just find it funny," Owen said, "how someone in the spirit world can't tell the difference between myth and fact." His flame crackled. "That's all."

He knew that their words wouldn't mean anything to Seventh. They were a fleeting presence to her. And to be associated with Tenth, her vision of everyone would be clouded with hatred more than what Owen assumed to be her light-based sight.

Owen didn't see the point in staying if this was all they were going to get. He glanced at Icetales, almost gesturing with his eyes that there was no point in pressing. Still, he would defer to what their main traveler decided.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
And of course those two foreigners had to try to counter her arguments. Seventh exhaled some non-existent air and lowered her bangs. She had dealt with stubborn and boneheaded souls, she could to that again.

"Maybe you're the facade. Maybe you just sit up here all day, thinking you're so high and mighty to hide that you feel like a pathetic and sorry excuse for a sister and a pokemon," Koa growled, leering at her, eyes cold.

He glanced over at Icetales, who seemed hurt by her comment. "The only facade here is her lies," he turned back to regard his so called 'sister', "-Lies spoken by a gutless coward who chose fear and ignorance over sanity."

“Facade… me? Ha! How rich!” Seventh growled. “Says the human lad who uses a Manectric body as a disguise. Quite hypocritical of thee to go around accusing others of speaking lies when thou art a walking lie,” she scoffed, her lips a thin line. “I sense distortions in thy soul, torments that are gnawing at thee and making thee try to sway away from… oh.” A smirk made its way on her muzzle. “No wonder thou sympathize with my foolish brother so much. You two are cut in the same way, after all.”

Tenth showed a perplexed expression. “Huh? What are thou talking about?”

“Ask to that whelp. I have other matters to take care of.” She turned to Owen. “I can sense thou have something to say. What is it?”

Owen snorted, eyes and pupils narrowed. "I'm a demon, too, you know," he said lowly. "Why don't you take a closer look at my spirit and see for yourself what I've done."

"Now, let's not get hostile..." Buffet said nervously. "We are just guests here. We don't need to disturb the peace..."

"I just find it funny," Owen said, "how someone in the spirit world can't tell the difference between myth and fact." His flame crackled. "That's all."

“…Oh? This is it?” Seventh shook her head. “I have met countless and countless of souls. I can recognize a demonic assassin at first glance.” She tilted her head, while her tails swayed without wind. “How much blood did thy numerous identities spill, I wonder…”

Tenth frowned and glanced at Owen. What did sister mean about ‘assassin’? Did Owen… end someone’s life?

“And I am not sure from what kind of world thou come from, Charizard, nor do I care.” She flicked her tails with arrogance. “But in our world, myths and facts blend with each other more often than they do not. Just ask to my brother, the Historian Warlock. He can tell more about that.”

Tenth sighed and looked away, his gaze lingering on some distant stars. It was so hard to keep his composure around Seventh, what with her using every piece of evidence she could read from people’s souls to her own advantage.

Though, he found himself crossing his gaze with Owen…

He glanced at Icetales, almost gesturing with his eyes that there was no point in pressing. Still, he would defer to what their main traveler decided.

Words weren’t needed. Tenth could infer from his friend’s gaze that they probably wouldn’t have been able to get much from Seventh — once she started tormenting a soul, there was no way for her to stop.

Hm. For being a medium, she used her powers in a very selfish way. Not unlike most of his family, he had to admit.

He was about to ask to the group to just leave and look for Mother by themselves, when his mental gears connected a few sentences…

Owen said:
"I'm a demon, too, you know," he said lowly. "Why don't you take a closer look at my spirit and see for yourself what I've done."
Seventh said:
“I have met countless and countless of souls. I can recognize a demonic assassin at first glance.”

Tenth’s eyes widened, then narrowed in realization. There was something he needed to tackle first.

“…Seventh,” he started, glaring at his sister. “Thou said… that thou can sense if someone is a demon and an assassin…”

“Yes. This is what I can do, as the Spiritual Witch.” Seventh’s aura pulsed with a dark energy. “I do not even know why thou art saying that with such a questioning tone. Thou, thyself, art a demon, too. Or art thou going to question that as well?”

Tenth shook his head, but his eyes narrowed further. “And yet, thou failed to recognize the demonic assassin who resided and still resides in our home…”

That was enough to throw Seventh off of her tracks, as her lips twisted in confusion. “…What idiocy art thou spouting now, Tenth?”

“Father.” The wraith flickered above Tenth, its eyes glowing with a fierce red light. Seventh was unfazed by the entity towering the other Ninetales, but she couldn’t help but be surprised by the other energies pulsing inside of Tenth’s spirit. “What about Father, a literal demon from Chaos? If thy senses are as fine as thou always claim and thou can sense everything from a soul, then… how come thou did not sense the twisted appearance of Father’s soul?”

But the only answer he got was silence. Seventh seemed… unnerved by that question, and fidgeted on her spot. For the first time since the conversation started, she was at a loss of words.

“…Well?”

“I… I could not!” Seventh shook with frustration. “I hate to admit it, but I… I could not… sense his soul.” She looked away. “My senses could not go that deep.”

“Hmph. Well, if thou failed to fully analyze a soul once, then what stopped thee from failing to properly analyze other souls?”

“What art thou implying? That I am doing a bad job?”

“No. Merely that thou art not infallible.”

“…Rubbish.” There was a tangible lack of conviction in her voice. “That is… rubbish.”

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
“No wonder thou sympathize with my foolish brother so much. You two are cut in the same way, after all.”

Tenth showed a perplexed expression. “Huh? What are thou talking about?”

“Ask to that whelp. I have other matters to take care of.”
Koa bristled, his anger flaring. Beneath his anger, a moment of panic rose, before he smashed it down. A few sparks flickered through his fur but he kept his jaws shut for the time being as the conversation continued. A time and a place for everything....

Though he couldn't help but be both unnerved and curious by her words about Owen. He already could tell Owen carried secrets of his own, although he had no idea what exactly they were, save for his... Perceive ability or whatever. Yet part of him didn't care. Owen trusted them about his perceive, and had been nothing but good, and tried his best.

So he kept quiet and listened to Icetales speak.

“What about Father, a literal demon from Chaos? If thy senses are as fine as thou always claim and thou can sense everything from a soul, then… how come thou did not sense the twisted appearance of Father’s soul?”

Icetales father was... Koa blinked, only slightly surprised. I lined up with everything else the Ninetales had told him. What drew his attention more was the revelation that this 'sister' of Icetales was indeed, fallible.

"I knew it," he growled. "You're just like any regular mon. You make mistakes." He snorted again, regarding her with burning disgust. "At least some of us have the decency to try and be better people. What's you excuse?"

He turned to Icetales. "We don't need her. We can go, if you want." It was up to Icetales, ultimately. This was his journey after all - but Koa wasn't sure if he could stand to watch her belittle him and pick at him like this.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
"I knew it," he growled. "You're just like any regular mon. You make mistakes." He snorted again, regarding her with burning disgust. "At least some of us have the decency to try and be better people. What's you excuse?"

Tenth smirked with delight, proud of Koamaru. The lad knew how to bite back, and it was cathartic to see his sister being knocked down a few pegs.

Attaboy…

Though, his amusement turned to seriousness when the ghostly aura around Seventh flared up with power, lifting the mane of her head with a minor shockwave. Anyone with a sharp and fast glance could see that her pale eyes had turned pitch black, like two lifeless holes.

“Dost not dare lecture me…” she hissed at Koamaru, her tails flailing erratically. “Thou know nothing about my duty as a Spiritual Witch, nor what that entails!”

“Hm? Is this thy best comeback? How… disappointing, Seventh.” Tenth smirked again, feeling somewhat bolder. Being surrounded by friends gave him the courage he needed to stand up to his sister. “What? Cannot accept the fact that thy perfect analysis are not as perfect as thou believed?”

Seventh flinched, one of her tails brushing against her flank. “This… I…”

“Thou never changed, sister. In thy quest to appear perfect, thou lash out at whoever dares to point out thy imperfections and mistakes…”

“Thou… hush at once, Tenth!” she growled, the tips of her tails burning with more energy. But Tenth was unfazed.

“After all, thou were Father’s favourite. Thou could not afford to not meet his expectations and high standards…”

Seventh gnashed her fangs. “How… dare thou?!”

“So, rather than face the truth about thyself and acknowledge thy flaws, thou preferred to find some excuse. Some way to explain thy lack of success as a medium. Some, ha, scapegoat.” Tenth’s aura flared up, surpassing his sister’s power. “And what better way to do that than by blaming a curse? By blaming me, the tenth tail, the bastard son, the beast? Thou knew from back then that I was not a pure Vulpix, did thou not? And thou convinced our siblings to join thee, in thy quest to make me appear like a weakling while thou were the epitome of perfection…”

Seventh shrank under that display of power. Nobody had ever rivaled her in the spiritual realm. In her territory. She was legitimately frightened. “No! This… This is not, I…”

“And the worst thing, it is that thou art aware of what Father is capable of! Of what Father did to me! Thou were there, when I was rescued from Chaos! And yet, thou still see me in the same way!” Tenth was shaking, a burning rage having assaulted his entire body. Years and years of sorrow echoed in his trembling voice. “Why? Why dost thou hate me so much? What did I ever do to thee or our family? All I desired was to be accepted. Nothing more than that!”

“I… it is just, I…” stammered Seventh, not finding any word to defend herself. To be assaulted by her own sins… that made her feel small and vulnerable. She hated feeling like that, and Tenth could sense that through her body language.

Finally, one of his siblings felt how he truly felt throughout his entire puppyhood: miserable and alone.

“…Thou were consumed by blind hatred, perhaps jealousy as well. Dost not dare correct me. Thou know I am right.” Tenth — no, Icetales — looked away. “I reckon… this conversation is over.”

He turned to Icetales. "We don't need her. We can go, if you want."

“Yes.” Icetales glanced at the others and motioned toward the depths of the Twilight. The wraith disappeared in a blue mist, its host freed from the negative emotions weighing his chest. “Let us go.”

And so, the group got ready to depart, while Seventh scratched her cheek with a forepaw. Her tails flicked and coiled, a whirlwind of thoughts clouding her mind, and then she stepped forward.

“W-wait! Tenth!” she said, her tone full of urgency.

“…What it is now?” Icetales glanced back at his sister, his tone neutral. “If thou hast more balderdash to spout, then—”

“No! I… Give me some time to explain.” The vixen seemed conflicted about something for a moment, as if wondering whether she should tell what she had to say or not. Finally, she decided to come clean. “There is… something thou must know. About thee. About Father.” Her voice lowered significantly, almost like a whisper. “About… Mother.”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Smug satisfaction spread Koa as he watched her stammering and scrambling to reply. Perhaps that would teach her to choose her words more carefully. And especially to think twice on who she challenged.

As Icetales continued to speak, a seed of pride took root, growing more and more and Icetales spoke, rebuking his sister. He couldn't help but smirk a little. This was the Icetales he liked best. Kind yet firm, unafraid to stand up against others. Admiration filled him as well at the sight of Icetales using his powers, so skillfully, not unlike the magicians and warlocks he spoke of. Or at least how Koa imagined it might work.

“There is… something thou must know. About thee. About Father.” Her voice lowered significantly, almost like a whisper. “About… Mother.”

Koa narrowed his eyes. He didn't trust her, but she also seemed to be severely humbled by her experience as well. Worth listening to, he supposed, even if she wasn't the most trustworthy. "No lies," he said coldly.

He gave Icetales another look and nodded. He wasn't sure if one could even fight a spirit here, but he was down to try if she wanted to spout more lies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
“What art thou implying? That I am doing a bad job?”

“No. Merely that thou art not infallible.”

“…Rubbish.” There was a tangible lack of conviction in her voice. “That is… rubbish.”

During the course of the conversation, Owen stood back and watched quietly, seeing that the outspoken Koa and the central Tenth were handling what he would have tried. Though he could not help but smirk when Icetales got through to Seventh, perhaps in a way that 'non-nobility' would be unable to replicate. It was a classic and tired tale of regality trying to chase perfection, only to make fools of themselves.

Owen had seen--and, of course, rejected--countless desires from high status Pokemon like those because not only did they not need it, but they also so selfishly asked for it in the first place. If they were so perfect, then perhaps there was no need for help.

"No lies," he said coldly.

"I'll be able to tell," Owen replied matter-of-factly. He'd already been around Seventh long enough to discern such things while she was flustered. This was more than enough. Owen's eyes flashed gold and his flames had wisps of darkness in them, and he nodded for them to go on.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales nodded back at his friends, then focused on Seventh. “Thou heard them. No more dancing around. If thou will tell a lie, we shall know.” He narrowed his eyes and lifted slightly his muzzle, showing his regal composure. “Thou hast our undivided attention. Elaborate.”

Seventh stared at Koamaru, then at Owen. From the way their souls pulsed, she could tell that both meant business, and would not have taken a misdirection too lightly. The power they had… it was great, she could tell. As such, she swallowed her pride and emulated her brother’s stance.

“Very well. I appreciate that you are giving me a chance.”

Icetales snorted, his tails swaying slowly. A part of him wasn’t exactly thrilled at hearing more from Seventh, but he felt she had important information to share. He seemed better to give her the benefit of doubt.

“Then, how about starting with Mother. What about her?” He tilted his head. “What dost to have to say about that?”

Seventh took a deep breath. “Mother. Right.” Her tails coiled around her body, a faint purple aura glowing around the tips. “Thou see… Thou art not the only one who desired to seek her guidance and wisdom. The various events that affected our family… Well, I have been having a few thoughts. Concerning thoughts.”

“Ergo?”

“Well…” The vixen shuddered and shook her head. “In light of the entire situation in Chaos, and thou being imprisoned there for months…”

“…They were years for me.”

“I know. I know. Because of time dilatation shenanigans. I am aware of that.”

“That is a very reductive statement,” Icetales nodded, “but it is accurate.”

“Regardless, there was… something about Father that I found very unusual, during… Mother’s funeral.”

Icetales took a shuddering breath. That was still a aching pain that had yet to properly heal. Perhaps… it never would. “…An untimely death, because of poisoning. Yes. What of it?”

“I sensed… nothing in his soul.” Seventh seemed bothered by her own words. “No pain. No despair. No anger. Nothing.”

Icetales scoffed. “Father is a sociopath. He probably hid his emotions or something, and thou failed to properly analyze his soul.”

“No, Tenth. Thou not understand,” replied Seventh, shaking her head. “A sociopathic soul still has emotions. They are merely harder to sense.”

“Again, thou failed to analyze his soul, so not exactly a compelling argument.”

“…Thing is… that there is more about that.” Seventh’s voice trembled, her tails coiled harder around her body. “Some time after thou returned from Chaos, I found… a vial, with traces of what seemed to be venom, hidden in Father’s room. And it was… empty.”

No words could describe what Icetales was feeling in that moment.

No! Did that mean… Could it really mean…?

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“…It is not like there was much I could do about that.” Seventh’s mouth twisted downward, in an invisible frown. “Father is the absolute authority in our kingdom. And if he was truly responsible for Mother’s passing…” She trailed off, seemingly hurt about that event as well, but managed to regain her composure. “Well, even though I can commune with the dead, that does not mean I desire to join them. I could not defy him. Not by myself.”

Icetales shook his head furiously, barely able to compute what he was hearing. “No… No… It cannot be…”

“All I could do was to alert my siblings about that. We were thinking about some way to deal with Father. And then,” she turned to Icetales, “one night, Fifth and Tenth disappeared from Borealis, before we could inform them about what we found out.”

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
A grim expression settled on Koa's face. Her words were truth, this much he knew. Otherwise Owen could have sensed it.

How awful.... To know that's one's father would do such a thing. A hint of unease prickled in his stomach, but he ignored it.

"Did your father have something to do with Fifth disappearing?" he asked coolly.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen glanced at Koa. It seemed pretty obvious from all the information present. But even if Seventh wasn't lying, she could just as easily be misinformed and simply believe it to be the truth.

But there was something that they had to be practical about. He tried to rephrase it in a way that Seventh could understand. "Tenth, myself, and Koa are all under the same curse as part of our duty in another world. It's possible that Tenth won't remember this conversation by the time you see him again in your world. You might even forget this conversation, too. If there's any way you can preserve notes from it right this instant, you should do that. The curse only affects memories, not things you write down."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
"Did your father have something to do with Fifth disappearing?" he asked coolly.

“Not directly, but…” Seventh huffed. “It is an entire mess, thou hast no idea. Fifth was the most vocal sibling, and she was the only one who tried to confront Father.” She shook her head, a sad expression on her muzzle. “If only we heeded her warnings about him, then perhaps she would still be with us…”

Icetales perked up at hearing that, puzzled. “…Would still be with us?” He tilted his head. “I beg thy pardon, but thou art mistaken. Fifth is just as alive as I am.”

“…What?” Now it was Seventh’s time to be shocked. “S-she is?!”

“Yes. We both are political refugees in Solaris,” explained Icetales. “Even though, she is the only one who keeps in touch with Borealis, through the high council.”

There were a few seconds of awkward pause.

“How… did you evade Father’s reach? I know he tried to find you with a search party, at some point. And the result of the search was… negative.”

“We dyed our fur to look like goodmon ice Ninetales.”

There was another pause, even more awkward. Seventh scrunched her muzzle, almost as if she expected Icetales to say that it was all just a jest. However, his voice and stance were totally serious.

“…I am baffled. It is… such a simple trick.”

“It is,” he smirked, “which is why I believe it worked. It was too obvious.”

“Well, at least this explains why I could not find her soul in the Twilight.” Seventh hummed. “If thou art alive, thy soul cannot be found in this place, after all.”

Icetales froze. Something about what Seventh just said made him realize an important detail. “Seventh, did thou not say a while back that thou could not find Mother’s soul?”

“…Yes? I did?”

“Living souls cannot be found in the Twilight, and departed souls that are honored do not end up in Oblivion, but are either sent to Chaos or to the Twilight. Correct?”

“Correct, but…” Seventh paused to consider her brother’s words. “Thou… art not really suggesting…”

“I know, it sounds absurd as a theory. The vial with the venom. The doctors reported venom in Mother’s bloodstream. But the question is,” Icetales narrowed his eyes, “was the venom actually lethal? Did thou analyze the venom?”

“Yes, but the origins and full effects of the venom are unknown.”

“Hmm. Pray tell. Was Father who told thee and our siblings that Fifth and I died?”

“He did, but…”

“And who said that Mother died?”

“…Father…”

“And while in Chaos, I found out that Father can control souls…” Icetales looked away. “So, what if…?”

The silence became stifling as realization settled in, with both siblings reaching the same conclusion. Seventh became as pale as an actual ghost and Icetales’ darkness seeped from his pores.

Yet another web of lies. Yet another trap from Father.

“By the gods…”

"Tenth, myself, and Koa are all under the same curse as part of our duty in another world. It's possible that Tenth won't remember this conversation by the time you see him again in your world. You might even forget this conversation, too. If there's any way you can preserve notes from it right this instant, you should do that. The curse only affects memories, not things you write down."

Seventh took just enough time to snap out of her trance, before humming in deep thought. Then, she flashed a smirk. “Why, yes. I know something that could be of help.”

“Oh? What is it?” asked Icetales, curious.

“Poltergeist. I can manipulate the living world even as a spirit. I shall just leave a message on a mirror or something for me to find, once I return to my world.”

“Why not leave a simple paper note?”

“Because nothing attracts more the attention than a giant text written with red paint.”

“…I cannot refute that.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom