• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Spirits' Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Tch..." Cal grumbled something. Feelings. Why did people always ask about feelings? Maybe she wanted to sit and fester for a while. Maybe it was easier being mad at the world. Owen, Pop, now Luz. Why did everyone have to be so even-headed? Why couldn't they get mad for once?!

Cal deflated. "...I want to meet her," she said. "I-I just don't know if... I don't know. I don't know anything. And I dunno what it'll do if I find out. Sounds stupid when I'm from Owen, but maybe ignorance is bliss..."

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz shrugged. Questions and gentle prompting didn't work for Cal? That was fine. "Then meet her. Doesn't matter if'n y'don't know how it'll go. Meet her anyway, and resolve to not regret however it turns out."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"...How do you not regret how something turns out?" Cal asked. "What happens if she gets horrified and has some crisis of her own for seeing me? Or what if she berates me and..."

"Do you really believe that would happen?" Buffet asked.

"I don't know!" Cal blurted. "I--I'm based on ancient memories. Who knows how she's changed..."

"Well, if that's the case, then she would be nothing like you anyway. And then you'd know." Buffet drifted left. "Why don't we try? You mentioned her to me before... I have enough information to find her."

"...Okay. But if she's too far away... then that's enough for me." She glanced at Luz. "...You're... okay with this?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz slammed one fist into the other palm and ground it in. "Knowin' fer sure is worth the price of it bein' an awkward or hostile meetin'. Sure seems you ain't ever movin' on until you do this, so let's do it. And yeah. I'm more'n okay with this. I'm stickin' with ya through thick an' thin, darlin'."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Right..."

Cal smiled, just a little, with her embers. She spent the rest of the time silently psyching herself up for whatever would be coming next. Little wisps of light trailed around them, and this seemed strange to Cal. It wasn't something they'd seen before. "What's going on?" Cal asked.

"Oh, we're going through a place with high spiritual energy, it seems," Buffet said. "Well, not literally energy because such things don't exist in the Astral Sea. I think it would be more accurate to say . . . " Whatever else Buffet was saying, Cal had so thoroughly zoned out that she didn't even know when Buffet stopped. " . . . oh! Looks like we're going somewhere. Yes, I definitely feel her presence. Get ready, dear."

The wisps of energy were strong and frequent, like a blizzard or cartoonish gusts of wind. They sped forward and saw a bright light. Forward and onward, and then gravity came into effect. Cal grunted and landed on bright green grass.

They stood in a clearing in a forest that went out about twenty feet in diameter, perhaps a little more. After that was an endless, black abyss, yet any time anybody moved, the forest followed them. Trees disappeared into the ground if they moved further away, while trees sprouted and spontaneously grew whenever they walked forward for the land to exist there.

Cal stood tentatively, looking around. She couldn't see anyone else there...

She didn't notice the figure in the treetop just left of her, peering down with gleaming, yellow eyes.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz, however, did.

"D'you reckon y'can call her by her name?" she said, quietly. Best not to steal the thunder, so to speak.

Hopefully the critter wouldn't jump them before Cal started a dialogue. Now that would be a disappointing outcome, especially if Luz couldn't hold her own against whoever not-Cal turned out to be.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Buffet seemed to have the same idea, though he seemed more cautious.

"I... I don't know if I should use her name," Cal said, looking down. "...Sorry. I guess maybe this was a mistake. Let's just--"

A large, rounded object flew toward Cal and struck her in the false skull. It sank in harmlessly.

"Hey!" Cal spun around. It looked like a single shot from a Bullet Seed.

When Cal looked up at the tree, she locked gazes with yellow-gold eyes that matched the color of her embers.

"You--" Her embers shrank. She couldn't see anything about this creature except the eyes...

But then, she shifted on the treetop and pushed away, swinging effortlessly. With a flip and a heavy landing that shook the very ground in a wave that made the trees sway, she landed.

It was a Sceptile, who tilted her head with curiosity as she looked the Charmeleon over. "Hey," she greeted. Her voice was deep and it matched her muscular form, like she'd spent the days hefting the trees themselves. But it was also disarmingly gentle, like a guardian watching over them.

And then the Sceptile unleashed upon them a wide, toothy grin. "Say! You feel familiar!"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz's face broke into a wide, crooked grin. So much for the disaster Cal was intent on expecting. And wow, fittingly for someone purportedly related to Owen, not-Cal was mighty!

"Howdy," she said, automatically. "I'm Luz, an' these layabouts here're Cal, an' Buffet, Voice of Cibus. Well met, darlin'."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Huh, Cibus." The Sceptile placed a claw under her chin and tilted her head in a way that felt exaggerated, and yet Cal had a feeling that it was all genuine. Her personality was overpoweringly bright and impossible to ignore. Cal felt so... small. "I dunno what a Cibus is, but it sounds neat! Must be a pretty strong voice to become a Hydreigon! I thought voices were just sound waves!"

"Oh, no, dear, that's not quite it means--"

"Oh? What's it mean?" She leaned forward.

"I'm, ahh, I'm an embodiment of a world."

"Oh, okay." She nodded.

"That... makes sense to you?"

"Nope!" She grinned. "But it makes sense to you, and that's what matters! Well, alright. Good to meet you, Cal, Luz, and Buffet of Cibus! My name's Remi!"

Cal exhaled shakily. It was said, and she'd heard it. Something about that felt like a vice grip around her core. "Remi..."

"Yeah. Well, Remilia, but I like shorter names, so Remi it is! How come you're here, anyway? You guys don't feel dead."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Cal needed a moment, evidently, and Buffet was much too longwinded to let take this one. It was up to Luz!

"Yeah, we ain't dead jus' yet," drawled Luz. "We're searchin' fer the folks that we're descended from, I guess is the best way t'put it. Cal and I, we ain't normal 'mon, we formed outta the memories a couple folks had of some other person. We just met the zeraora I'm s'posed t'be like. And now..."

She looked fondly at Cal. Hopefully the poor gal would rally herself in a second.

"Well, Cal here ought t'feel familiar t'ya. A charizard feller by th'name of Owen was the one whose memories made her up. Memories of you. So in a sense, she's yer family."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Remi nodded and smiled and it seemed like she was taking in every word.

But the moment Luz said that name, the moment Owen was uttered, her entire expression changed for a flash, for a blink that they all noticed. The grin wavered, her eyes seemed to dim, then spark with surprise and a strange urgency. She masked it badly when she said, "Memories, huh?"

"Yeah... That's me." Cal looked at her claws. "I'm you... but I'm a mix of a bunch of other things, too. And... a-and..."

Silence. Remilia and Calorie stared at one another.

And then, Cal changed. More ectoplasm bulged out from her core; Her body grew and bulked; her horn split in two; wings burst from her shoulders and stretched to cover the clearing's width, knocking against a nearby tree. Suddenly, she was the exact height as the Sceptile.

A wind blew through the ethereal forest. A few stray leaves spun in the air, distracting neither of them. They were talking without words. Buffet seemed unsure of what was happening, but something told him to drift away. "Um... is this--"

The two entered a battle stance.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz's paws clenched and vibrated with excitement. This was going to be sometihng special, she could tell. What a unique and extraordinary thing to witness!

"Not t'worry, partner," she called to Buffet as she darted to the side of the clearing for a better view, "I'll keep an eye on 'em~"

Was this something best not interfered with...? Maybe. But Cal and Remi seemed like they were meant to be fun gals. And where was the fun in keeping quiet?

"One-on-one, Ultra Shade Cal versus Sceptile Remi!" she shouted, whiskers sparking. "T'knockout or t'yield! You may begin!"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
The instant Luz finished, they kicked off. Remi left a small crater in the ground behind her where she'd jumped, but Cal had left no such impression. Remi noticed.

Remilia held her arm back as a twisting, green-gold energy wrapped around her arm and extended outward into a blade of gold-energy grass. Cal twisted and dodged out of the way, blinking, before some of her own golden energy siphoned into her arm as well. It twisted and turned and erupted in orange-gold fire, then shaped itself into a blade of her own.

They flew at one another again, fire and grass colliding, and yet neither yielded. Cal's whole body rippled with strain; Remi didn't look the slightest bit tired. Her eyes were studying Cal. It was like a completely different Sceptile.

They pushed off of one another; Cal tripped and fumbled. Remi kicked off a tree, which toppled it over. With the thunderous boom of its slam on the ground, Remi fired a Bullet Seed volley toward Cal, whose embers expanded in panic. She opened her maw wide and countered with a Flamethrower, neutralizing the blast in an explosion of smoke.

Through the smoke, Remilia withdrew her blade and slashed at Cal's front with her free hand. The Charizard Shade had the same idea, and both Dragon Claws made parallel marks along the other's body. Cal's was deeper; Remi's was a mere scrape along the scales.

Staggering back and pressed against a tree, she saw a faint light forming in the clearing haze of their first volleys. Cal held up her hand in the same way, some strange feeling telling her that this was what she was doing. They both stared at one another as the rest of the haze disappeared... Both were gathering solar energy in their off-hand. Both recognized the plan. Neither let up.

And then, when things had fallen completely silent aside from the rising hum of their hands, they pointed at each other's chest at the same time. The Solar Beams clashed and sent all the trees in the whole radius toppling down in a single shockwave.

In the middle, two great figures rushed toward one another. Both made mirrored, swift motions--and then stopped.

Two blades, one of flame and one of gold, pressed against the neck of the other, stopped inches away. Both made eye contact with each other, and then toward the blades they'd conjured. As the final trees rolled into their final resting place, both withdrew their blades and took a step back.

They had the same smile. The battle was over.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"A mutual resignation! The match is a draw!"

Luz chuckled to herself. She felt a bit silly, like she was showing insufficient gravitas for the occasion, but who cared? The gals were happy enough.

"So," she said, strolling back into the clearing, "I don't pretend t'be an expert on these things, but I think that tussle proves we came to the right person, huh?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Cal and Remi nodded, though Remi seemed a little more subdued than before.

"...How's he doing?" Remi asked.

"He's doing alright. Things have... held him up, I think. A lot of things, so that's why..."

Remi nodded a few times, each one very slow, as if shaking around the thoughts. "...Guessing you don't know about the others?"

Cal shook her head.

"Well..." Remi broke into another grin. "If he's fine, then I think everyone else is fine, too!"

The Charizard grinned, too. She wasn't expecting this. After all this time, to see that overwhelming optimism, even brighter than Owen. The apple didn't fall far...

Something kept tapping her back and she realized it was her own wings. Cal moved them like they were unfamiliar to her. "You held back."

"I just wanted to see how you fought." Remi nodded. "I think I know all I need to."

That, too, was an answer she was expecting. "Yeah." Cal's shoulders seemed a little lighter. "I think I do, too."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz tried to get a read on Cal's face. Had all that apprehension just plain evaporated, 'cause of a good throwdown?

"Cal, darlin'," she said, "congrats on yer evolution. That was one impressive performance! But are y'really done here so soon?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Cal and Remi both looked at Luz at that, but then at one another.

"Don't really want to hold you up," Remi said, rubbing a claw under her nose. "Besides, I think we learned a lot from each other there, didn't we?"

"I think we did," Cal said. "All I needed. I think... all I wanted, too."

"You'll be heading back?" Remi asked, and to that, Cal nodded.

"Yeah. Still have a world to save. And Owen's got that double-time."

"Because of course he does."

That got a laugh out of both of them--a genuine one, and it looked like Remi had lost some of that weight on her back, too, with it. Cal calmed down first, but Remi's laughter lingered a while longer. Nostalgic tears slid down the Sceptile's cheeks.

"...Take care of him for me, alright?" Remi asked, smiling through it all.

"I will," Cal replied. "One day, you'll see him again. I know it."

"Yeah." Remi nodded, wiping her eyes. "Yeah."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz looked on and smiled.

"Look, I got nowhere t'be, and if y'wanted more time, that'd be just fine by me. It sure sounds like y'got what ya needed, though."

She looked up at Remi, and tilted her head inquiringly. There was a lot she could ask. But it was Cal's place to do that, not hers. Not really.

"Got any advice fer a friend of Owen 'fore we go?" she ventured, flashing a cheeky fang.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Me, advice for him?" Remi asked with a laugh, sniffling despite the brightness of everything else about her. "Oh, no, no. I don't think it goes that direction."

"It does," Cal replied. "Trust me, he's probably just as much of an idiot as you remember. Why else would he get caught up in another mission like this?"

"Y'know, that's true." She sighed, and it was a harsh one, like she was trying to expel her uncertainties with it. "...Just tell him that... I'm rooting for him. I think that's all he needs from me."

"Figured." Cal nodded, thumping her tail on the ground. "Got any advice on flying?"

"Nope. Good luck with that."

Cal nodded, but then smiled at Buffet. "Is it alright if I fly with you, now that, y'know, I'm bigger?"

"Oh, that's true..." Buffet nodded. "That should be fine. Stay near me in case you lose yourself in the flow--it can be hard sometimes."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz took a step towards Buffet . . . and paused.

Whatever the vast context was for Cal's and Remi's conversation, however fleeting this encounter, and despite Remi's cheery disposition . . . this was still a person with some kinda tragedy in her heart. A person who, if you thought about it, was someone Luz already cared about...

"Remi, I don't expect I'll see ya again, given the nature of things," said Luz, quietly. "But it was a pleasure t'meet ya. You got a friend in me, fer whatever that counts fer. You take care, okay?"

She moved over to the sceptile and gave her an wide, unhesitant hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom