• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

• It's time for Thousand Roads' yearly one-shot contest! This year we're focusing on the theme of partnership between humans and Pokémon. You have all February to craft an entry--see more details here!

Spinda Cafe

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. custom/purrloin-salem
  2. custom/sneasel-dusk
"The food thing? No clue. There are folks from another world here all named after weapons, too. And a fella from another world still, and names from that place get translated as metals or somethin'. We ain't figured it out yet."

Luz shrugged. "More about Brisa? Fair'nough."

"Well, let's see," she mused, scratching her cheek fur thoughtfully. "Her pa was a human. Fella got turned into a delphox when he was young, sent to her world from another t'save it. Ma was a feral of the Escarpa clan, my clan. Not a terribly sociable gal, but tough. That parentage is a recipe fer bein' damn strong, but lonesome somethin' fierce. Bein' sent here to do somethin' useful with that strength is just about the best thing that ever happened to her."

What else? She didn't want to list off the poor gal's problems to a total stranger. Nor to hype her up ahead of a first meeting. And as much as it would be fun to try to play matchmaker, that didn't seem wise, especially with Kate four drinks into the evening. What was it like to know Brisa?

"You'll never meet a gal who gives more of a darn about everyone 'n' everythin'. She'd put herself in front of an attack fer you soon as look at ya. She don't judge fer the darkness in a person's past. An' she'll take ya up on a sparrin' match any time of day or night, no holds barred."

Luz took back her badge and threw up a projected image of her host.

tumblr_cd0b8331f66621eb829e6ebbc26249ea_5882b387_1280.png

Luz's fanged grin grew wider still. "She'll be more'n pleased pleased t'meet yer good self, of that I'm certain."

Spiteful Murkrow

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/Him/His
"The food thing? No clue. There are folks from another world here all named after weapons, too. And a fella from another world still, and names from that place get translated as metals or somethin'. We ain't figured it out yet."

Luz shrugged. "More about Brisa? Fair'nough."

"Well, let's see," she mused, scratching her cheek fur thoughtfully. "Her pa was a human. Fella got turned into a delphox when he was young, sent to her world from another t'save it. Ma was a feral of the Escarpa clan, my clan. Not a terribly sociable gal, but tough. That parentage is a recipe fer bein' damn strong, but lonesome somethin' fierce. Bein' sent here to do somethin' useful with that strength is just about the best thing that ever happened to her."

What else? She didn't want to list off the poor gal's problems to a total stranger. Nor to hype her up ahead of a first meeting. And as much as it would be fun to try to play matchmaker, that didn't seem wise, especially with Kate four drinks into the evening. What was it like to know Brisa?

"You'll never meet a gal who gives more of a darn about everyone 'n' everythin'. She'd put herself in front of an attack fer you soon as look at ya. She don't judge fer the darkness in a person's past. An' she'll take ya up on a sparrin' match any time of day or night, no holds barred."

Luz took back her badge and threw up a projected image of her host.

Luz's fanged grin grew wider still. "She'll be more'n pleased pleased t'meet yer good self, of that I'm certain."

Kate tilted her head at the mention of Pokémon from different worlds having different themed names. She supposed that it might be another one of Diyem's doings again, but then again perhaps those worlds were just full of weirdos to begin with. The Sneasel nodded along with Luz's description of Brisa and stared at the projected image from her badge, before cracking a smile back.

"Well I'll be looking forward to it. If her idea of a folk hero's someone who can have a good time like you, I'm sure we'll get along just fine." she said, before leaning on her shoulder.

"That said, who exactly's outfitting you for this whole 'save the world' thing? I didn't exactly come in all kitted out with a scarf and badge in that crater, so who set you all up with your gear?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. custom/purrloin-salem
  2. custom/sneasel-dusk
Luz shrugged. "All provided by regular merchants and the Guilds courtesy of God Squad's wallet. You should be able to get whatever ya want on their tab. I'll text you the particulars on strategy fer fights 'n' such if you'd care to read up on that when makin' yer purchasin' decisions."

The zeraora-shade crossed her arms behind her head and tipped back on her chair, somehow not falling to the ground despite seemingly balancing on almost nothing. Perks of minor levitation. She pointed with her tail to a spherical object barely-visible inside her faintly translucent chest.

"You'll want one of these, too. Ultra Stone. Get one from Chip's Lab when ya care to. The shade inside will bond to ya, help take care of ya in battle. I lend Brisa some of my power durin' fights, watch her back."

The tail moved to point at Kate.

"You seem like a gal who works hard and plays hard. I like that! It sure suits ya fer this 'job' better'n some. And on that note... how 'bout I see ya in the trainin' grounds sometime? Or maybe even the Colosseum if'n ya fancy a tussle with an audience? How about it, partner?"

Spiteful Murkrow

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Luz shrugged. "All provided by regular merchants and the Guilds courtesy of God Squad's wallet. You should be able to get whatever ya want on their tab. I'll text you the particulars on strategy fer fights 'n' such if you'd care to read up on that when makin' yer purchasin' decisions."

The zeraora-shade crossed her arms behind her head and tipped back on her chair, somehow not falling to the ground despite seemingly balancing on almost nothing. Perks of minor levitation. She pointed with her tail to a spherical object barely-visible inside her faintly translucent chest.

"You'll want one of these, too. Ultra Stone. Get one from Chip's Lab when ya care to. The shade inside will bond to ya, help take care of ya in battle. I lend Brisa some of my power durin' fights, watch her back."

The tail moved to point at Kate.

"You seem like a gal who works hard and plays hard. I like that! It sure suits ya fer this 'job' better'n some. And on that note... how 'bout I see ya in the trainin' grounds sometime? Or maybe even the Colosseum if'n ya fancy a tussle with an audience? How about it, partner?"

"Heh, I think I'll take you up on that," the Sneasel replied. "But before we get down into the nitty gritty of getting kitted out, let's take a night off and get sloshed a bit."

The Sneasel clapped her claw onto the counter, before calling off to the Spinda.

"Hey barkeep!" she cried. "Let's put those mixology skills of yours to the test! Let's see you take on making a tall mug of dunkel!"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. custom/purrloin-salem
  2. custom/sneasel-dusk
"Sounds good t'me, partner!" replied Luz, heartily, still not letting on that she was incapable of getting sloshed.

Not getting drunk didn't stop her having a good time, though. Kate was good company, she decided. The sneasel rogue was good news, and they sorely needed some good news after recent events. Luz took to the continued drinking with good cheer, and punched some promising sounding numbers into the jukebox. Fortunately it didn't seem the regulars or Spinda themself minded the two of them getting a little rowdy.

Some drinks later and into the night, they'd progressed to singing along to the music. Slurred speech and one hopeless attempt at an arm wrestle later, and Luz knew it was time to walk Kate somewhere warm to spend the night. Thank goodness—and Maple of the God Squad—for the portal to Destiny Village. Kate could rest up at the Guild dorms and be ready to gear up in the morning.

...Assuming she survived the hangover.

Luz, of course, would be ready for the next interesting event when it came.

<><><><><>​

Last edited:
Top Bottom