• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Snap! Goes the Camera

Chapter 1: Synthesis

Very_Tired_Person

Self-proclaimed sleepyhead
Pronouns
he/his
This is the story of one boy, and his journey to starting a photography club. Oh, and being a pokemon trainer. That too.
There’s a lot of options you could go with when reborn into the world of pokemon. You could try to be a fanfiction protagonist and fail miserably. You could try to be a fanfiction protagonist and not fail miserably. Or you could be like me, and proudly claim your greatest achievement was creating a photography club named after an insignificant ingame location most well known for a memorization minigame and an expandable soundtrack.
So, what's this?
Well, for starters, it's a fanfiction. That much is pretty obvious. Specifically, it's my attempt at a Unova-focused journey fic. However, it follows a somewhat different route than an average journey, since the protagonist doesn't actually attempt the gym challenge, or any other alternative. I started writing this with that premise since I wanted to see how plausible it would be to actually manage a story that, at least functionally speaking, doesn't have a driving goal or conflict.

Any content warnings?
This fic will contain some spoilers for pokemon Sword and Shield, as well as the DLCs for those games. the actual story of those titles, however, isn't addressed directly. However, if you haven't played either of the aforementioned games, and wish to go through them blindly, you should leave this story for a later point in time. On the rating side of things, this story is G-PG so far.

When will the story update?
Generally? when I have the time to actually finish the next chapter. The update schedule will probably end up being pretty erratic, but I'm hoping to keep it at least somewhat consistent. No promises, though.

How would you like your reviews, sir? Critical, Positive, or Balanced?
I'm mostly hoping to see more from the positive side of the review spectrum, but if you think there's some incredibly large, glaring flaw that needs to be addressed, feel free to tell me about it.

I started remembering things, so to speak, at four years of age.

I wasn’t sure why that was the point it began, though it might have had something to do with brain development. If we were going to go by cliche isekai logic, then I should have instantly had all of my memories straight from the get-go, along with the deeply traumatizing memories of being born haunting my nightmares for years to come. Except that’s biologically completely impossible.

(Well, all of this should have been impossible already as well, but that’s beside the point)

There’d be no reason for a newborn to have a consciousness of any kind, their brains just hadn’t grown enough at that point for it to be possible. Maybe by this point, my mind had grown enough to actually sustain those memories. There’s a reason why people don’t tend to remember any clear memories of their early childhoods, after all.

Nevertheless, I started remembering things, little by little. I kept tripping on my own steps as I misjudged the size of my feet, my small legs not strong enough to adjust to the mistakes. I had an easy time learning to speak, only held back by my own vocal cords. Sometimes when I slept, I'd wake up and mumble about weird dreams, of big houses shaped like rectangles, and countless blurry figures walking about. When I looked at my mother’s ampharos, I thought of nonsensical statistics that I shouldn't have even been able to comprehend.

The process continued for what felt like ages, slowly bringing old experiences and memories, older than I had been alive, to the surface. There wasn’t any defining moment where everything came to me in a flash flood of knowledge. It was slow, foreign yet oddly familiar thoughts creeping in during a timespan of several years. In the beginning, I spoke of them to my parents, but they only thought of them as daydreams, or childhood fantasies. Perhaps if I had continued, they may have started taking my mumblings more seriously.

I stopped telling them about my dreams after a while. It wasn’t like they would ever believe me, after all.

I never remembered what happened to me in the end. I wasn’t sure if I’d died, or if I’d simply stopped existing there the moment I was born here. I only knew sheer information. I couldn’t place any names for the people I knew, not even my own. The only name I knew was the one I’d been given here.

Hubert.

Years passed. I was ten, the youngest in the village. This place was nice, calm, cozy. It was the Village Bridge, and it was home. Waking up every day to the distant echoes of the river and the clean, fresh air was a sharp contrast from my old home, but it was a welcome change that I’d grown used to, even a little fond of.

I still had problems with writing. Even though everything was spoken in English, Unova used the Galarian writing system, which was very different from the Latin alphabet I was used to. When I wasn’t focusing, I tended to change into English script while writing. It got incredibly annoying to have to erase it all and start over when it happened. Nowadays I did it far less, but it still slipped through from time to time. Thankfully it just looked like squiggly lines and writing mistakes to anyone who looked. Odd, but nothing too noteworthy.

Good thing I hadn’t been born in Johto or Sinnoh, I guessed. Seeing your kid suddenly start to write in Unown sigils of all things would be, unexpected, to say the least.

I spent my days reading pokemon healthcare books I’d borrowed from our neighbor, Mr. Delves, on the lookout for wild pokemon at the park or by the riverside, and doing my distance class assignments for the trainer school at Opelucid. Learning about different species of pokemon on a far more detailed level than I’d ever thought was possible. It was all so fascinating, I just couldn’t resist. Pokemon were cool. But pokemon as actual things you could see with your own eyes, as something you could interact with?

Both even cooler, and also kind of terrifying.

Having a videogame species that can destroy buildings with a single hit was awesome. Actually knowing that a species like that existed in your world, not so much. Thankfully some of the more extreme things from the Pokedex, like shedinja devouring your soul if you looked at its back a little funny, were apparently just folk stories.

Dodged that bullet, at least.

Oh, and also throwing fake pokeballs at dummy targets from weird angles. A surprisingly relaxing pastime, to be honest.

It was to practice my aiming skills with actual pokeballs. I was kind of surprised that this wasn’t something that was recommended for people hoping to become trainers, it seemed like a pretty obvious thing you’d need to learn. From what I’d read, even though the Pokeball itself was a fascinating little piece of machinery, far more complex and robust than anything I could ever have predicted, it didn’t come with any sort of automatic aiming system or anything: your ability to actually get the Pokeball to hit the target was based purely on your throwing hand and your throwing hand alone.

The fakes I used were mostly accurate to the real thing, just without any of the internal technology or the shrinking mechanism. I’d asked for them as a birthday gift from my parents a few weeks back, and after hearing my reasoning, as strange as it was, they obliged.

It required a lot more precision than what one would expect. You had to develop a good eye for soft spots to aim the Pokeball at, how to best throw it, from what angle, you had to judge whether the target would move around or not, how it would dodge, there were a lot of things to consider.

(and oh boy, did it take a while to make a moving target by myself. I couldn’t make anything automated, that’d take way too long to be worth it, but one very long rope, a couple of trampoline springs, a sufficiently large chunk of chipboard, a saw, and an electric drill could get you pretty far, it seemed. Who knew?)

It wasn’t perfect, I doubted I could ever be ready for absolutely every situation where I had to throw something, be it a Pokeball, a set of magical ancient DNA splicing technology, or just a simple rock, but I could be damn sure that I was better off than most.

Though as prepared as I was for a pokemon journey, I still wasn’t all too sure where I’d go with it.

I got into photography at twelve years of age.

Now, I already knew my new mother liked pokemon photography. While other residents of the town might have had family pictures adorning their shelves, ours had mom’s armada of wild pokemon nature photographs.

They were all excellently taken, too. My favorite was the one at the shelf by the kitchen table, a zoomed-in scene of a trio of swanna lounging at a lake, the sunset painting the water a vivid orange. It was already gorgeous as a still image, so I could only wonder about how breathtaking it must have been to witness it first-hand.

When I first asked her about some of the pictures, she’d talked about each and every one with a tone of fondness, a little bit of nostalgia, and pride. Sure, they weren’t trophies or gym badges or frontier symbols or medals. But to her, they were much, much more valuable than any prize ever would be.

Her face practically lit up like a fireworks show when I first asked her if I could try taking a shot at photography myself. It was nice.

We spent that day outside, be it by the bridge overlooking the river, or at the edges of the forest, looking for any wild pokemon we could snap a picture of. We ended up finding a few bibarel by the shoreline further away from the bridge. The pictures I took without her helping me keep the camera steady were a bit shaky, but she loved all of them regardless.

By next week, a shaky picture of a group of bibarel sat by the scene of the sunset swanna, joined by a group of sunbathing petilil, and a lone seviper on a rock, scales shimmering in the light of the scorching midday sun. And on my side, I’d finally found myself something to travel for.

Who knew, maybe someday I could get one of these into a newspaper. That’d be a nice goal to start with.

I was halfway to thirteen years of age when the team plasma incident occurred at the pokemon league. As shocking as it was for my parents, and the whole rest of the community, to be honest, I wasn’t surprised. Alder was still the champion, and unless this had been the anime universe, that would place me somewhere before black and white’s ending. This event had only solidified my suspicions at the time.

(And I was almost positive it wasn’t the anime universe. Team plasma's very existence as an organization, instead of neo team plasma, functionally proved that to be the case.)

Although mom and dad had watched the whole thing with bated breaths, I’d excused myself with one excuse or another, simple nerves if I recalled correctly, and went to my room. I already knew the conclusion of the affair, after all, and staying over there watching the whole thing wasn’t really going to be all that interesting when you knew exactly how it would end.

And even if I ever had to watch it later on in life for one reason or another, an event as big as that would surely be left somewhere on the web to rewatch. Instead, I had gone back to reading my book about the effects of weather pokemon types and abilities.

The only other deviation from the norm that day had been the ice cream cones we’d gone off to buy after the news report had finished.

“Well, I guess tomorrow’s the day,” I said, sitting at the kitchen table. We were having some Topo berry salad for dinner tonight. It was one of my favorites. We’d all pitched in and done it together to make this the best family dinner we could. But even though this was supposed to be a celebration, it just didn’t feel right.

Dad and I were heading for Lacunosa tomorrow. He’d help me out with getting my first pokemon, we’d be spending a few more days at a local inn, and that’s where we’d go our separate ways. Dad would be heading back home.

And I would be heading for Undella Town, and starting my journey.

We’d been planning this for years now, the specifics coming together months ago, but it was still a little bittersweet. I promised I’d come back once in a while, and that I’d stay in contact and do my best to call whenever I could, but leaving this place after living here for so long was hard. But this was what I’d studied for, what I’d wanted to do for so, so long. I wasn’t backing out by this point.

We ate in silence, and though that might’ve been agonizing for anyone else, I thought of it as a blessing. It was calming, acting like this was just a normal dinner on a normal day, instead of a big event. The salad was great, the Nomel berry juice helped bring out the flavor a lot.

“I guess it is, huh?” my father answered, breaking the silence. He sounded resigned, but there was still some pride peeking out from behind that tone. It was reassuring to hear that confirmation.

“So, tomorrow morning?” I asked him.

“Tomorrow morning,” he responded. We finished eating, and started picking up the plates. There were still some Topo berry chunks by the side of my plate. I wasn’t going to just leave them there, so I nabbed them while walking towards the kitchen sink. I’d have to wash my hands after putting everything into the dishwasher anyway.

Just before I left the room, my mother called out a “We love you!” from her seat. “Me too,” I said, glancing back at them with a tiny smile on my face. I climbed up the stairs and closed the door behind me when I got to my room. I sat on my bed, lit up the reading light, and spent the rest of the evening and all the way ‘till nightfall reading a fancy old book about status moves. It was fascinating stuff, though I already knew some of it from the games. Mr. Delves really loved lending me his book collection, didn’t he?

“Well, son, we’re here,” dad said “Lacunosa Town. Where everyone does the same thing every day, you never leave your house at night, and people start screaming if you bring up old folktales.” A chuckle escaped his lips at the statement.

I had to admit, out of all the bad jokes he’d told me throughout my childhood, that one was actually kind of funny. I wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of finally getting a chuckle out of me, however. My carefully cultivated persona of relaxed, oddly confident aloofness wouldn’t be brought down that easily.

Regardless, true to my father’s words, we had reached Lacunosa. We’d been on the road for a bit over two days now, having stopped on regular intervals to cook up something. I hadn’t really thought much about regionwide travel, having lived at the Village Bridge my whole (second) life, so I was only now realizing just how locally isolated Unova was. For how technologically advanced the region was in its central hubs, there didn’t seem to be almost any, actually disregard the ‘almost’, there literally weren’t any streets in this place. Unovans apparently just, didn’t use cars.

Well, at least it preserved the environment.

We’d taken lots of breaks in between the long stretches of walking and walking and walking some more, and eventually spent the night at an inn located a bit after the midway point of the route. Thankfully it hadn’t cost us much. After that, it was off to the road again. The most exciting thing we’d encountered during the trip was a lone rapidash, though it had thankfully left us to our own devices once it saw that we didn’t mean it any harm.

Back to the present, we’d just finished paying for a room at an inn for dad, since he’d be staying here for a few days. Some place called Oceanside. Apparently, it was really old, or such? I hadn’t memorized the entire history of the place when we’d planned where to sleep at, but the few reviews it had were pretty good, so it would do. He hadn’t brought much luggage, just his backpack, and I wasn’t going to stick around much anyway. I’d only be coming back for some last-minute farewells and to return dad’s pokemon, since he’d lent it to me to help with catching a pokemon. After that, it was off in two different directions.

Dad was off to restock on a few spices that we couldn’t get back home. There was a salesman who knew our family over here at Lacunosa, and this place was closer than Opelucid anyway, so he always got them from here. Meanwhile, I’d been given our family herdier to help out with finding, and hopefully catching, a pokemon of my own. To the southernmost path of the region.

My destination was Route Thirteen.

Last edited:

LuxBeacon

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
He/him
As promised Lux is here to read your story! I’m digging the first person perspective and the exposition of how he wasn’t born knowing everything, he had to actually grow up a bit to access the memories, but for the most part he can’t remember everything.

I see this is very much so a prologue that wastes no time in getting to the point and I like that. Barely any dialogue either which speeds things along more. I’m guessing the itty bitty details of Hubert’s childhood isn’t really important besides the photography and his family are relevant, just aren’t the focus as none of them have been named yet.

Once again I must commend you on using Village Bridge as your starting point and having the journey start at Undella Town. A complete reversal from the norm.

I’ve always wanted to read a Pokémon journey fic without a driving goal or concrete story. This is a really interesting test story in a way. I’m curious to see how it goes.

Overall I quite like the details you’ve got going on. A very articulate writer! Can’t wait to see more. Lux off!

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
Ooh, this has some interesting twists I wasn't expecting from your descriptions on the forum. I was expecting something more straightforward where he only has eyes for photography and wants to avoid being a hero, but having prior knowledge of events because he's been reincarnated from another world is a curious twist that's got me interested for sure.

Chapter 2: Copycat

Very_Tired_Person

Self-proclaimed sleepyhead
Pronouns
he/his
Route thirteen was nice.

It was mostly cliffside, formed out of long stretches of elevated land by the coast. However, there were a few spots where you could safely descend to the beach below. Apparently, the route was originally just a big cliffside, but it was partially mined for materials to build the lacunosa walls some two hundred years ago. Some of the stone used to make the village bridge probably came from the quarry that used to be here. Made the idea that this random location from a game series was a real place with an actual history really sink in, didn’t it?

It was refreshing to see the beach, after living in central Unova all my life. I’d seen the rushing river beneath the bridge countless times, but seeing the calm ocean stretching out to the horizon was beautiful. The air had a smidgen of salt in it, accompanied by the scent of seawater. (Or, well, dying plankton, but that wasn’t the point.) Once I headed for the sandy beaches of the route later down the line, I was sure that scent would be accompanied by the smell of seaweed. It was as expected, but still a nice change from the riverside I’d grown used to. I liked it.

The ocean breeze flung my hair in front of my face. I brushed it off, and continued walking. Herdier followed me faithfully, nose glowing with the clear sign of an Odor Sleuth being used. We were going towards the deeper forested parts of route thirteen, near the aptly named Giant Chasm, looking for a specific species I’d hoped to find here for a while now. I was pretty sure I could find one in this area, they popped up as wild encounters in the games after all, but I’d wanted to be sure. Using Odor Sleuth on some footprints embedded into a patch of moss, we’d been able to catch its scent. It’d apparently been in a scuffle with some dark-furred pokemon, probably a liepard or a purrloin, since there was also some black fur on there.

The terrain was mostly smooth, with the occasional roots and large rocks in the way. They made the path a bit bumpy, but didn’t stop us from continuing forward. The sound of feet and paws stepping through dirt and rocks was accompanied by the rustling leaves being shaken by the wind, and the distant screeches of wild wingull and pelipper. The few dangerous parts were mostly the ones right near the edge of the cliffside, as well as a small river by a little cascade, though that was mostly just because of how unexpectedly slippery it was.

Although I was practically a prodigy when it came to pokemon battles for someone my age, I didn’t have much of an interest in the gym challenge. I just found it completely pointless in the long run. Too much of a commitment, you know?

I knew a lot about pokemon and battling strategies, along with a lot of random trivia about pokemon from Unova, sure, but most of that information came from the hundreds of hours replaying generation five games. My family liked to gush about how their little boy was oh so smart, and how he’d make an amazing pokemon trainer, and from their perspective, that was probably accurate. To them, I was a prodigy. How would they know that I just so happened to have the memories of some random kid from an alternate dimension? Who would even think of that as a possibility, or, reshiram forbid, the truth?

Back to the point, I didn’t really want to commit to something like the gym challenge. I’d be content with just, going around the region, snapping pictures, and taking in the scenery. I didn’t have that drive, that need to become the strongest that you needed if you wanted to reach the big leagues. I simply lacked it.

And I liked to think that that was perfectly fine. You didn’t need to enter the gym circuit to become a pokemon trainer, after all. There weren’t technically any prerequisites for it at all, just some recommendations. It was honestly somewhat baffling that the fatality rate was so low. Maybe the wild pokemon felt pity for the random ten-year-olds running around trying to collect fancy medals for some reason. It’d explain a lot, honestly.

Shaking my head to get out of my musings, I refocused on my surroundings. I’d been out of it for a while, it seemed, since we were already more than deep enough into the surrounding forests to find what I was looking for. I started eyeing the shrubbery around me. They were good at disguising themselves in the forest if they didn’t move around a lot, but that didn’t really work if they were the ones being searched for, instead of them waiting in ambush for prey that didn’t know what they looked like. Herdier’s Odor Sleuth had brought us here, so there was definitely at least one of them somewhere around here. It was just a matter of actually finding it without it noticing and running away.

It didn’t take long. Although it had managed to stay still most of the time, just a wee bit of movement was enough to reveal its position. The fact that I was actually searching for one and knew what signs to look out for did nothing to help its disguise, either.

“Herdier, it’s behind you, a bit to the left. A Thunder Wave should be enough,” I ordered “Just to keep it from running away, nothing dangerous.” Herdier perked up, eyeing the spot I mentioned from the corner of its eye. Once he'd noticed the same discrepancies in the disguise as I did, he performed the attack right where he needed to. he howled, and a few large, yellow loops began heading for the target. It wouldn’t be enough to wound it, but a simple paralysis was all I really needed anyway. The ‘bush’ the Thunder Wave had been heading to started shaking right before getting hit, a good sign. It meant that my hunch had been correct.

I walked up to the little shrub, and wiped off some of the leaves on top of it. As expected, they fell off with little resistance, revealing large, round vines, reaching out in different directions and weaving around each other. They were kinda cartoon-ish, not really all that realistic. Probably just a quirk of the species, though. The tangela’s little red legs were still covered a bit in mud, so they hadn’t been as affected by the thunder wave. As such they were still flailing around a bit.

I sighed, and started searching through the woven bag I’d brought with me. There were a few poke balls there that I could use. I found one after a bit, and grabbed it. “Well, I guess it’s time to catch you, then,” I said. I brushed away some of the vines (Felt a little like fur. Did tangela vines have trichomes? What would they even be used for?) to reveal a bit of the dark within, and pressed the pokeball at it, button first. I squinted my eyes at the light, but kept my hold on the pokeball tight. It shook once, and finished with a click and a small green glow to the loop around it. A critical capture.

We started going back, herdier’s Odor Sleuth working its magic to help us backtrack to a more open area. Meanwhile, the pokeball with tangela in it was shrunk and nestled in a small pocket of my bag. I walked out of that forest with a weight lifted off from my shoulders, and a small smile on my face. Now all that was left was the hard part. And although I hoped it wouldn’t end up being as terrible as it always sounded like, I knew better than to expect it to be a breeze. Said hard part?

Actually getting along with my would-be partner.

Alright then. Time to do this.

“Tangela, release,” I clicked the button, and waited. Another flash of light, and my capture popped out. It seemed mostly confused, if irritated by the lingering effects of the Thunder Wave herdier had used on it. I already had a full heal on me, so that would hopefully be dealt with pretty quickly. “Ok, first we need to administer a full heal on you” I started “You’re still paralyzed by Herdier’s Thunder Wave.”

I’d already returned said pokemon to dad’s pokeball. I wasn’t sure how tangela might have reacted if the first thing it saw outside its pokeball was the thing that had attacked it. At best, it’d only be uneasy, or distrustful. At worst, it might think herdier was going to eat it. I had the full heal in my hand, ready for administration

I took my first step, slowly. The tangela tensed a bit, a near-invisible shake of the vines, the pokemon’s form shrinking just a little bit, ready to pounce or dash away as well as it could if I tried anything. I kept my body language as open as I consciously could, hands and legs lax, back bent a little, arms visible, and facial expression calm.

I took a second step, the full heal clearly visible in my hand. the third and fourth steps followed soon after, and I continued to walk towards the pokemon, trying my best to appear as unthreatening as possible. Once I got close enough, I sat down with my legs crossed, and lifted the hand with the full heal. “Ok, if I spray you with this, you won’t have to worry about the paralysis anymore. ‘Kay? It’s not going to sting or anything, I promise,” I said, as I opened the tap with a quick spin of my fingers. I pressed the flip on the canister, and started spraying the full heal’s contents in different spots. I made sure to avoid the eyes and mouth, just in case.

“Alright then, that should deal with most of the paralysis,” I mumbled to myself. There was a lum berry in my bag that should get rid of the rest. I dug it up from one of the pockets of my bag, stuffed in a little sachet, and offered it to the pokemon.

The full heal cleared off most of the paralysis, but that would help get rid of all the leftover soreness. It finally nabbed the berry, disappearing into its vines. I had to make an educated guess and hope that it actually did eat the thing, and didn’t stash it into some vine pouch or something for one reason or another. After that, all that was left to do was to wait until the effects kicked in.

The main road on route thirteen was mostly made of dirt. It wasn’t the smoothest surface, but it wasn’t anything sharp or spiky. It was nearly evening already, and the residual soreness from the thunder wave had already completely faded for Tangela, and we were walking back towards Lacunosa. Dad would be waiting for me in front of the walls surrounding the town.

Thankfully, tangela didn’t seem to have any hard feelings towards herdier. It had been a little wary at first, but I guessed having the status condition cured had shown it that we didn’t mean it any harm. Right now both were walking on either of my sides, herdier’s fur blowing a little in the occasional gusts of wind, and tangela’s vines wiggling a bit every time it took a step. We weren’t in too big of a hurry; we still had an hour or so before it got dark enough that the citizens would begin to head inside. We’d reach the town by that point. The distant sound of waves and flapping wings, and the quiet rustling of leaves, was calming to me. Everything was serene.

...Or, was serene. The flapping of wings, instead of fading away as it would have had the source been nothing but a distant flock of bird pokemon, was getting louder. It was subtle, but it was there. I turned to the side, and spotted a silhouette approaching us from behind the leaves. And it was in the air.

“Herdier, Thunder Fang, to the right! It flies!” I exclaimed. Herdier didn’t waste any time on charging the attack, sharp jolts of electricity running through bared teeth. he pounced at the attacker. It flew upwards, the Thunder Fang only grazing it. Of course I had to run into a wild pokemon at a time like this. Just when I thought that this would be a calm, nice, uneventful trip. Just my luck.

Tangela wasn’t faring too well. It was shaking, clearly very alarmed by this sudden attack. Its vines were trying to stay as still as possible, attempting to blend into the surroundings as best it could. It was terrified, that much was obvious.

The figure, no longer hidden by the shadows cast by the forest it’d come from, was easy to recognize. A swellow. Not exactly the most common species in Unova, but they did pop up now and then. It was pretty rare to encounter one out of the blue, however. Had an outbreak started when I was coming here? Seriously, now of all times?

I had to focus. The swellow had taken some moderate damage from the attack, even if it was just a grazing blow. Unfortunately, this one looked like it’d just gotten pissed off at us because of it, instead of running away. Stubborn fella, it looked like. “Herdier, keep an eye on it, don’t let it get away from your sight. If it comes too close, have a Thunder Fang on the ready,” I told him. “Tangela, I need you to calm down. You ate that lum berry earlier, remember? The one with the medicine? I have another one here, look,” I explained. The only sign that it’d heard me was a moment of stillness in the shaking vines. “Try to use Natural Gift with it. Aim at the swellow while it focuses on herdier, okay?”

It didn’t budge. From the corner of my eye, I saw the swellow using what appeared to be Tailwind, flying around us faster than before.

“You’ll be fine, I promise. I’ll keep you safe,” I said. The shaking vines went still again, but it lasted a bit longer than the last attempt. After a bit, the vines parted, showing large eyes full of fear, and nervousness. However, hiding behind that was a small spark of determination. Tangela turned towards the swellow, a soft shimmer forming in front of it. Speaking of the swellow, it’d been flying in circles around us, looking for an opening. Thankfully herdier had been able to Intimidate it into not coming closer. However, it looked like it was readying itself for an attack. Its feathers began to glimmer, then glow brightly. It charged at us.

Steel Wing. It had Steel Wing. Oh, you had got to be kidding me.

Now wasn't the time to mentally complain about bad luck and egg moves. The plan wasn’t fool-proof, but I hoped it would work. Tangela would fire the Natural Gift, which would become flying type. I probably wouldn’t have remembered something as insignificant as that if not for it being noted in one of the move effect books I’d read. The winds from the Natural Gift would destabilize the swellow, letting herdier deal a decisive blow with a Thunder Fang. It wasn’t the most complex of strategies, but there was beauty in simplicity, too. If this worked, the swellow would hopefully be wounded enough that it’d fly off, thinking us as too much of a bother to try to munch on.

I really had to thank Mr. Delves for letting me read from his collection the next time we met. Seriously.

“Now! Tangela, Natural Gift! Herdier, Thunder Fang it when it’s off-balance!” I shouted. After a second or two for tangela to react to my command, the shimmering space in front of it exploding into a strong current of wind, flowing towards the swellow. It landed, blowing it off-course and forcing it to stop the attack, repositioning its wings to stop it from losing all control of its flight. And that was the moment herdier attacked.

He leaped upwards, fangs bared with a static charge, and bit the opposing pokemon, hard. The swellow did its best to shake herdier off, but he wouldn’t budge. Eventually, both fell to the ground, crashing down with a dull thud. After a minute, herdier was the only one of the two to get back up.

I contemplated catching it. Having a flying type in my team would surely be helpful, I only had tangela, but once I gave back herdier to dad, I wasn’t confident in my ability to keep swellow from trying to eat my starter when I wasn’t paying attention. And that was without going into the team dynamic created by having the second pokemon I caught be one that’d literally tried to eat, at least from what it looked like, my first one. It would be better to just leave it be and let it recover. It’d probably be too terrified of herdier to try chasing after us, anyway.

“Herdier, return. Tangela, do you want to go back to your pokeball, too?” I asked. It’d be understandable, after all. Soon afterward, I continued my walk back to the gates of Lacunosa, the evening sky beginning to paint itself in orange light. I began to pick up the pace, continuing down the dirt path. My destination was the structures gazing at me from the horizon.

“Well, here’s herdier’s pokeball,” I handed the object in question to my dad. We’d met at the gates as planned, and I’d told him about our little encounter on our way back. I’d wanted to start heading back to the route After this, I was ready to head back to Route thirteen, and towards Undella Town. For real this time.

Tangela was hopping around by my side. It’d already been introduced to dad, and he thought it was adorable. Even gave it a little talk about making sure to keep me safe and out of trouble. I had to admit, it was a little cute. The little thing had tried to nod, and all the vines had flown everywhere. For a second or two, it looked like some kind of massive green pincushion.

“Stay safe, kiddo. And come visit often!” dad shouted to me from the gates. He’d wanted me to just take herdier with me, but I’d declined. I wanted to build my own team on this journey.

“Whenever I can!” I responded. As I continued east, dad waved at me. I did my best to balance myself while walking backward, and waved back. I almost tripped due to a little rock, but balanced myself just at the right moment for it not to be noticeable. Hopefully he wouldn’t think much about it. Tangela’s pokeball shook slightly in my pocket at each step, while the pokemon itself trailed behind me, forming a vaguely round shadow beside it. It was as silent as it'd been since I first caught it.

We headed back towards Route thirteen.

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
It's nice to see a trainer building that sort of cautious bond. And Tangela is quite underused as well.

LuxBeacon

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
He/him
Route thirteen was nice.

It was mostly cliffside, formed out of long stretches of elevated land by the coast. However, there were a few spots where you could safely descend to the beach below. Apparently, the route was originally just a big cliffside, but it was partially mined for materials to build the lacunosa walls some two hundred years ago. Some of the stone used to make the village bridge probably came from the quarry that used to be here. Made the idea that this random location from a game series was a real place with an actual history really sink in, didn’t it?

It was refreshing to see the beach, after living in central Unova all my life. I’d seen the rushing river beneath the bridge countless times, but seeing the calm ocean stretching out to the horizon was beautiful. The air had a smidgen of salt in it, accompanied by the scent of seawater. (Or, well, dying plankton, but that wasn’t the point.) Once I headed for the sandy beaches of the route later down the line, I was sure that scent would be accompanied by the smell of seaweed. It was as expected, but still a nice change from the riverside I’d grown used to. I liked it.

The ocean breeze flung my hair in front of my face. I brushed it off, and continued walking. Herdier followed me faithfully, nose glowing with the clear sign of an Odor Sleuth being used. We were going towards the deeper forested parts of route thirteen, near the aptly named Giant Chasm, looking for a specific species I’d hoped to find here for a while now. I was pretty sure I could find one in this area, they popped up as wild encounters in the games after all, but I’d wanted to be sure. Using Odor Sleuth on some footprints embedded into a patch of moss, we’d been able to catch its scent. It’d apparently been in a scuffle with some dark-furred pokemon, probably a liepard or a purrloin, since there was also some black fur on there.

The terrain was mostly smooth, with the occasional roots and large rocks in the way. They made the path a bit bumpy, but didn’t stop us from continuing forward. The sound of feet and paws stepping through dirt and rocks was accompanied by the rustling leaves being shaken by the wind, and the distant screeches of wild wingull and pelipper. The few dangerous parts were mostly the ones right near the edge of the cliffside, as well as a small river by a little cascade, though that was mostly just because of how unexpectedly slippery it was. I’d picked my pokemon of choice

Although I was practically a prodigy when it came to pokemon battles for someone my age, I didn’t have much of an interest in the gym challenge. I just found it completely pointless in the long run. Too much of a commitment, you know?

I knew a lot about pokemon and battling strategies, along with a lot of random trivia about pokemon from Unova, sure, but most of that information came from the hundreds of hours replaying generation five games. My family liked to gush about how their little boy was oh so smart, and how he’d make an amazing pokemon trainer, and from their perspective, that was probably accurate. To them, I was a prodigy. How would they know that I just so happened to have the memories of some random kid from an alternate dimension? Who would even think of that as a possibility, or, reshiram forbid, the truth?

Back to the point, I didn’t really want to commit to something like the gym challenge. I’d be content with just, going around the region, snapping pictures, and taking in the scenery. I didn’t have that drive, that need to become the strongest that you needed if you wanted to reach the big leagues. I simply lacked it.

And I liked to think that that was perfectly fine. You didn’t need to enter the gym circuit to become a pokemon trainer, after all. There weren’t technically any prerequisites for it at all, just some recommendations. It was honestly somewhat baffling that the fatality rate was so low. Maybe the wild pokemon felt pity for the random ten-year-olds running around trying to collect fancy medals for some reason. It’d explain a lot, honestly.

Shaking my head to get out of my musings, I refocused on my surroundings. I’d been out of it for a while, it seemed, since we were already more than deep enough into the surrounding forests to find what I was looking for. I started eyeing the shrubbery around me. They were good at disguising themselves in the forest if they didn’t move around a lot, but that didn’t really work if they were the ones being searched for, instead of them waiting in ambush for prey that didn’t know what they looked like. Herdier’s Odor Sleuth had brought us here, so there was definitely at least one of them somewhere around here. It was just a matter of actually finding it without it noticing and running away.

It didn’t take long. Although it had managed to stay still most of the time, just a wee bit of movement was enough to reveal its position. The fact that I was actually searching for one and knew what signs to look out for did nothing to help its disguise, either.

“Herdier, it’s behind you, a bit to the left. A Thunder Wave should be enough,” I ordered “Just to keep it from running away, nothing dangerous.” Herdier perked up, eyeing the spot I mentioned from the corner of its eye. Once it had noticed the same discrepancies in the disguise as I did, it performed the attack right where it needed to. It howled, and a few large, yellow loops began heading for the target. It wouldn’t be enough to wound it, but a simple paralysis was all I really needed anyway. The ‘bush’ it was heading to started shaking right before getting hit, a good sign. It meant that my hunch had been correct.

I walked up to the little shrub, and wiped off some of the leaves on top of it. As expected, they fell off with little resistance, revealing large, round vines, reaching out in different directions and weaving around each other. They were kinda cartoon-ish, not really all that realistic. Probably just a quirk of the species, though. The tangela’s little red legs were still covered a bit in mud, so they hadn’t been as affected by the thunder wave. As such they were still flailing around a bit.

I sighed, and started searching through the woven bag I’d brought with me. There were a few poke balls there that I could use. I found one after a bit, and grabbed it. “Well, I guess it’s time to catch you, then,” I said. I brushed away some of the vines (Felt a little like fur. Did tangela vines have trichomes? What would they even be used for?) to reveal a bit of the dark within, and pressed the pokeball at it, button first. I squinted my eyes at the light, but kept my hold on the pokeball tight. It shook once, and finished with a click and a small green glow to the loop around it. A critical capture.

We started going back, herdier’s Odor Sleuth working its magic to help us backtrack to a more open area. Meanwhile, the pokeball with tangela in it was shrunk and nestled in a small pocket of my bag. I walked out of that forest with a weight lifted off from my shoulders, and a small smile on my face. Now all that was left was the hard part. And although I hoped it wouldn’t end up being as terrible as it always sounded like, I knew better than to expect it to be a breeze. Said hard part?

Actually getting along with my would-be partner.

Alright then. Time to do this.

“Tangela, release,” I clicked the button, and waited. Another flash of light, and my capture popped out. It seemed mostly confused, if irritated by the lingering effects of the Thunder Wave herdier had used on it. I already had a full heal on me, so that would hopefully be dealt with pretty quickly. “Ok, first we need to administer a full heal on you” I started “You’re still paralyzed by Herdier’s Thunder Wave.”

I’d already returned said pokemon to dad’s pokeball. I wasn’t sure how tangela might have reacted if the first thing it saw outside its pokeball was the thing that had attacked it. At best, it’d only be uneasy, or distrustful. At worst, it might think herdier was going to eat it. I had the full heal in my hand, ready for administration

I took my first step, slowly. The tangela tensed a bit, a near-invisible shake of the vines, the pokemon’s form shrinking just a little bit, ready to pounce or dash away as well as it could if I tried anything. I kept my body language as open as I consciously could, hands and legs lax, back bent a little, arms visible, and facial expression calm.

I took a second step, the full heal clearly visible in my hand. the third and fourth steps followed soon after, and I continued to walk towards the pokemon, trying my best to appear as unthreatening as possible. Once I got close enough, I sat down with my legs crossed, and lifted the hand with the full heal. “Ok, if I spray you with this, you won’t have to worry about the paralysis anymore. ‘Kay? It’s not going to sting or anything, I promise,” I said, as I opened the tap with a quick spin of my fingers. I pressed the flip on the canister, and started spraying the full heal’s contents in different spots. I made sure to avoid the eyes and mouth, just in case.

“Alright then, that should deal with most of the paralysis,” I mumbled to myself. There was a lum berry in my bag that should get rid of the rest. I dug it up from one of the pockets of my bag, stuffed in a little sachet, and offered it to the pokemon.

The full heal cleared off most of the paralysis, but that would help get rid of all the leftover soreness. It finally nabbed the berry, disappearing into its vines. I had to make an educated guess and hope that it actually did eat the thing, and didn’t stash it into some vine pouch or something for one reason or another. After that, all that was left to do was to wait until the effects kicked in.

The main road on route thirteen was mostly made of dirt. It wasn’t the smoothest surface, but it wasn’t anything sharp or spiky. It was nearly evening already, and the residual soreness from the thunder wave had already completely faded for Tangela, and we were walking back towards Lacunosa. Dad would be waiting for me in front of the walls surrounding the town.

Thankfully, tangela didn’t seem to have any hard feelings towards herdier. It had been a little wary at first, but I guessed having the status condition cured had shown it that we didn’t mean it any harm. Right now both were walking on either of my sides, herdier’s fur blowing a little in the occasional gusts of wind, and tangela’s vines wiggling a bit every time it took a step. We weren’t in too big of a hurry; we still had an hour or so before it got dark enough that the citizens would begin to head inside. We’d reach the town by that point. The distant sound of waves and flapping wings, and the quiet rustling of leaves, was calming to me. Everything was serene.

...Or, was serene. The flapping of wings, instead of fading away as it would have had the source been nothing but a distant flock of bird pokemon, was getting louder. It was subtle, but it was there. I turned to the side, and spotted a silhouette approaching us from behind the leaves. And it was in the air.

“Herdier, Thunder Fang, to the right! It flies!” I exclaimed. Herdier didn’t waste any time on charging the attack, sharp jolts of electricity running through bared teeth. It pounced at the attacker. It flew upwards, the Thunder Fang only grazing it. Of course I had to run into a wild pokemon at a time like this. Just when I thought that this would be a calm, nice, uneventful trip. Just my luck.

Tangela wasn’t faring too well. It was shaking, clearly very alarmed by this sudden attack. Its vines were trying to stay as still as possible, attempting to blend into the surroundings as best it could. It was terrified, that much was obvious.

The figure, no longer hidden by the shadows cast by the forest it’d come from, was easy to recognize. A swellow. Not exactly the most common species in Unova, but they did pop up now and then. It was pretty rare to encounter one out of the blue, however. Had an outbreak started when I was coming here? Seriously, now of all times?

I had to focus. The swellow had taken some moderate damage from the attack, even if it was just a grazing blow. Unfortunately, this one looked like it’d just gotten pissed off at us because of it, instead of running away. Stubborn fella, it looked like. “Herdier, keep an eye on it, don’t let it get away from your sight. If it comes too close, have a Thunder Fang on the ready,” I told it. “Tangela, I need you to calm down. You ate that lum berry earlier, remember? The one with the medicine? I have another one here, look,” I explained. The only sign that it’d heard me was a moment of stillness in the shaking vines. “Try to use Natural Gift with it. Aim at the swellow while it focuses on herdier, okay?”

It didn’t budge. From the corner of my eye, I saw the swellow using what appeared to be Tailwind, flying around us faster than before.

“You’ll be fine, I promise. I’ll keep you safe,” I said. The shaking vines went still again, but it lasted a bit longer than the last attempt. After a bit, the vines parted, showing large eyes full of fear, and nervousness. However, hiding behind that was a small spark of determination. Tangela turned towards the swellow, a soft shimmer forming in front of it. Speaking of the swellow, it’d been flying in circles around us, looking for an opening. Thankfully herdier had been able to Intimidate it into not coming closer. However, it looked like it was readying itself for an attack. Its feathers began to glimmer, then glow brightly. It charged at us.

Steel Wing. It had Steel Wing. Oh, you had got to be kidding me.

Now wasn't the time to mentally complain about bad luck an egg moves. The plan wasn’t fool-proof, but I hoped it would work. Tangela would fire the Natural Gift, which would become flying type. I probably wouldn’t have remembered something as insignificant as that if not for it being noted in one of the move effect books I’d read. The winds from the Natural Gift would destabilize the swellow, letting herdier deal a decisive blow with a Thunder Fang. It wasn’t the most complex of strategies, but there was beauty in simplicity, too. If this worked, the swellow would hopefully be wounded enough that it’d fly off, thinking us as too much of a bother to try to munch on.

I really had to thank Mr. Delves for letting me read from his collection the next time we met. Seriously.

“Now! Tangela, Natural Gift! Herdier, Thunder Fang it when it’s off-balance!” I shouted. After a second or two for tangela to react to my command, the shimmering space in front of it exploding into a strong current of wind, flowing towards the swellow. It landed, blowing it off-course and forcing it to stop the attack, repositioning its wings to stop it from losing all control of its flight. And that was the moment herdier attacked.

It leaped upwards, fangs bared with a static charge, and bit the opposing pokemon, hard. The swellow did its best to shake herdier off, but it wouldn’t budge. Eventually, both fell to the ground, crashing down with a dull thud. After a minute, herdier was the only one of the two to get back up.

I contemplated catching it. Having a flying type in my team would surely be helpful, I only had tangela, but once I gave back herdier to dad, I wasn’t confident in my ability to keep swellow from trying to eat my starter when I wasn’t paying attention. And that was without going into the team dynamic created by having the second pokemon I caught be one that’d literally tried to eat, at least from what it looked like, my first one. It would be better to just leave it be and let it recover. It’d probably be too terrified of herdier to try chasing after us, anyway.

“Herdier, return. Tangela, do you want to go back to your pokeball, too?” I asked. It’d be understandable, after all. Soon afterward, I continued my walk back to the gates of Lacunosa, the evening sky beginning to paint itself in orange light. I began to pick up the pace, continuing down the dirt path. My destination was the structures gazing at me from the horizon.

“Well, here’s herdier’s pokeball,” I handed the object in question to my dad. We’d met at the gates as planned, and I’d told him about our little encounter on our way back. I’d wanted to start heading back to the route After this, I was ready to head back to Route thirteen, and towards Undella Town. For real this time.

Tangela was hopping around by my side. It’d already been introduced to dad, and he thought it was adorable. Even gave it a little talk about making sure to keep me safe and out of trouble. I had to admit, it was a little cute. The little thing had tried to nod, and all the vines had flown everywhere. For a second or two, it looked like some kind of massive green pincushion.

“Stay safe, kiddo. And come visit often!” dad shouted to me from the gates. He’d wanted me to just take herdier with me, but I’d declined. I wanted to build my own team on this journey.

“Whenever I can!” I responded. As I continued east, dad waved at me. I did my best to balance myself while walking backward, and waved back. I almost tripped due to a little rock, but balanced myself just at the right moment for it not to be noticeable. Hopefully he wouldn’t think much about it. Tangela’s pokeball shook slightly in my pocket at each step, while the pokemon itself trailed behind me, forming a vaguely round shadow beside it.

We headed back towards Route thirteen.
I see, so the starter you chose was a Tangela, I'm surprised. You truly have mixed up your pokemon choices since we last discussed. I've always been fond of Tangela, especially from Traveler, where Tangrowth is a loveable ball of vines while simultaneously being incredibly powerful. This one seems pretty chill considering they didn't even attack them, just a little zap.

Small pet peeve. Calling all the pokemon 'it'. Random swellow that attacks you? Sure, makes sense. Not like a human can tell from a distance. The tangela you just caught? It'd be nice to ask them, but of course it's not immediate knowledge without checking first. The herdier you've known all your life? Errr. From a dog owner's perspective doesn't really make sense for him to call them 'it'. Especially if they are essentially the family's loyal puppy dog.

Otherwise, I liked the chapter and the use of Herdier's Odor Sleuth to actually find the pokemon they had wanted. It's a horribly underused move. Can't wait to read more.

Top Bottom