• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Small Critique/Feedback Thread

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Small-scale Feedback Thread

Hello!

Welcome to the feedback thread! The idea here is to create a single thread for writers to post small sections of their work and (hopefully) get some fairly quick feedback. This is intended to be for small works, and is not a review tag or a place for chapter feedback.

I would say roughly 500-750 words is the maximum. Although this may change. Generally, just use your discretion. Try to stick to smaller excerpts so you can get feedback quicker.

For people posting-
  • Include only the specific section you want feedback on. If you feel like people need context, try to explain the gist of the context in a small paragraph.
  • Remember to tag for any TW in the section
  • If its for a current story, make sure to tag for spoilers in case anyone is reading your work :smile:
  • Specify what sort of feedback you want. Maybe you don't need grammar/spelling suggestions, just prose. Or maybe you want to know if the action piece is engaging. Whatever it is, you'll be able to make much more progress if you can get very specific feedback.

For people reviewing:
  • Try to stay within the realm of what the poster asked for feedback on. Of course, if you see something else that could help, don't be afraid to mention it too!
  • Remember, the essence of good critique is to improve. So don't just rail on a piece without offering suggestions or ideas how to improve. Although I'm sure we all know what good critique looks like :D
  • If you offer suggestions on how to fix, I think it would be awesome to keep an eye out for the revised version and offer continued feedback.
  • Don't feel pressured to offer a large amount of feedback. Just do what you can, even if its a few sentences. Something is better than nothing!
And that's about it! Happy reviewing!

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Alright so it'll probably be easier to get feedback if I post here

I would like some feedback on the prose of this fistfight I wrote. I only would like to know if the prose itself flows well, and if the fight is clear and easy to follow. Which parts are clunky and which are smooth, where it needs more or less detail. Should it be longer? Or is it long enough?

For context MC, Koa, is fighting a thief (basically). I already noted physical details about the thief, who is nicknamed Dirt Face. He isn't much taller than Koa and he's not big or bulky or anything crazy.
Koa has had fight training, while his opponent hasn't (although this isn't explicitly stated, he is shown to be poor at it.)

“What are you gonna do about it, huh? Fight me?”

Koa felt his rage flaring up. Forcing his rage down, he tried to calm himself. He couldn’t win if he let himself lose control. Kitto and taught him as much. He refused to let Dirt Face escape after what he’d done to Hazard. And... if he could get at the man's pokeballs, he could try and end this fight. Save the stolen pokemon and his own.

Tensing up, he took a step forward and swung his fist wildly at the man. His opponent jerked his head back, dodging the blow before throwing a sloppy haymaker. Koa’s training kicked in. He shifted his weight onto his back foot, pulling his head back. The blow missed by an inch. He threw another punch, missing by a wide margin.

Focus! No wild strikes. Defend and attack. That was all fighting was.

The next punch came right at the side of his head. He jerked his arm up to defend, but moved to slow. The blow connected, rattling him and making him stagger. Before he could recover, another blow came at his other side. This time he tucked his chin in and pulled away. It glanced off his shoulder fairly harmlessly.

Koa blinked, trying to anticipate the next hit.

Dirt Face’s eyes darted to the left. Then he threw a weak jab with his left hand. Koa pulled his head back, dodging as he threw a swift uppercut. His fist slammed into the man’s chin. As he stumbled back, Koa drove his fist into the man’s stomach.

Grunting, Dirt Face staggered back, face contorted in pain. What little Koa could see of his face turned red as he clutched his stomach, wheezing and gasping for breath.

Koa didn’t give much thought to his next move. He stepped back, then spun, throwing his leg around and driving his heel into Dirt Face’s chin.

Dirt Face crumbled to the ground and didn’t rise.

Nikita Dracovish

Bug Catcher
Koa felt his rage flaring up. Forcing his rage down, he tried to calm himself. He couldn’t win if he let himself lose control. Kitto and taught him as much. He refused to let Dirt Face escape after what he’d done to Hazard. And... if he could get at the man's pokeballs, he could try and end this fight. Save the stolen pokemon and his own.

Make sure you show and don't tell, even when we're within their headspace. It's obvious Koa's pissed and he's been taught on how to control yourself, as well as what Dirt Face did - even if we don't know specifics, the crime's heinous enough. You also want to make the deduction a little more natural.

Also, try to avoid redundancies - we know that from forcing his rage down, he is trying to calm himself.

Don't copy this verbatim! But take it as inspiration:

Koa's head was throbbing again, the need to lash out screaming out. Dirt Face's smug little face did its damnedest to make Koa forget all of Kitto's little koans about calm, even though he repeated the mantra - you lose yourself, you lose the battle. The mantra eventually worked its magic, though - his focus boiled down, and he noticed the Pokeballs hang slack from his belt.

All he needed was one good punch.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Make sure you show and don't tell, even when we're within their headspace. It's obvious Koa's pissed and he's been taught on how to control yourself, as well as what Dirt Face did - even if we don't know specifics, the crime's heinous enough. You also want to make the deduction a little more natural.
Thank you for the feedback! I'll be reviewing my piece later today to see what I can do to get more into Koa's headspace as opposed to telling too much. This was some good advice.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nice way to start off this thread! Always here for a good battle scene. I like how you showed Koa considering his tactics and making more calculated plays than his opponent. You do a nice job of contrasting their styles and indicating

A couple times I got tripped up by pronouns, since Koa and Dirt Face are both "he." Like here:

He shifted his weight onto his back foot, pulling his head back. The blow missed by an inch. He threw another punch, missing by a wide margin.
I'm guessing you meant Dirt Face was the one throwing another punch in the last sentence, but the first time I read I thought it was Koa at first and was confused. This is because the last time we saw he/his being used ("pulling his head back"), it referred to Koa. I think saying "Dirt Face threw another..." would clear that right up.

His fist slammed into the man’s chin. As he stumbled back, Koa drove his fist into the man’s stomach.
Again, the first time I read "he stumbled back," I thought it was Koa, since he'd been the "he" in the previous sentence. "As Dirt Face stumbled..." would again be more clear.

In general, when you have two (or worse, more) people with the same pronouns interacting in complex ways, you have to be extra careful about how you refer to them to prevent confusion; I think that leaning more on names than you ordinarily would often helps out.

To me the fight felt a little blow-by-blow: you're kind of listing off what happens, one punch at a time. To me this ends up feeling a bit choppy (since you have a lot of short sentences of similar structure). If you wanted to build this scene out more and turn it into a bigger-deal fight, I think interspersing a little more of not just what happens, but how it impacts the characters, would help break up the simple back and forth and make things more visceral. For example, what does Koa feel when he actually takes a hit? Shocked? Worried he might be in over his head? Or how does Dirt Face react when he misses those opening punches?

But rather than expanding this fight I think shortening it a little is the way I would personally go. My impression, at least, isn't that this is supposed to be any sort of climactic confrontation. The paragraph that starts "The next punch..." is a nice reversal, and exactly what you'd want to see in a bigger battle: Koa's off his game, he's struggling, will he lose??? It adds tension and drama to the battle. However, I don't think this is supposed to be a "big" battle, and I don't know if the moment of tension it gets you is really worth another punching sequence here. My inclination would be to simply remove this paragraph entirely.

On the other hand, I like how you wrapped the fight up. The "Koa didn't give much thought..." paragraph has a nice sense of rhythm and puts solid emphasis on that brutal final blow.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Make sure you show and don't tell, even when we're within their headspace.
A couple times I got tripped up by pronouns, since Koa and Dirt Face are both "he." Like here:

Thank you both for the input.

Ok, so this is what I edited so far. I included some different verbiage, tried to vary the sentence length, and clear up pronoun confusion.

It is supposed to be a bit climactic since it comes at the tail end of a bigger fight, so I want it to be somewhat big/important. Although not like, the hugest moment of the story or anything either. I think this version reads a little clearer, hopefully?

If it helps I can include a little more of the excerpt from before and after the fight.

Koa’s rage flared up. Red blurred his vision, and he longed to spring at Dirt Face and pummel him into the dirt. He clenched his fists tighter. No. Let your anger fuel your fists, not your mind. He repeated Kitto’s mantra in his head, taking as deep a breath as he could muster. Slowly, his anger simmered down.

Taking another slow breath, he shifted into a fighting stance as Kitto had shown him. Head down, fists up, and stance wide. His gaze shifted to the pokeballs on Dirt Face’s belt. There. That was his chance. If he could get the pokeballs, he could return Dirt Face’s pokemon and end the battle.

Tensing up, he stepped forward and threw a quick hook. Dirt Face jerked his head back, dodging the blow before throwing a sloppy haymaker. Koa’s training kicked in and he shifted his weight onto his back foot, pulling his head back. The blow missed by an inch. He swung out with his foot, but Dirt Face stepped back and his foot merely grazed his stomach. Koa threw another punch, a hook, missing by an even wider margin.

Focus! No wild strikes. Defend and attack. That was all fighting was. His opponent's strikes were sloppy, the mark of someone untrained. He could win if he was careful.

Dirt Face advanced and threw another wild haymaker. Koa jerked his arm up to defend but moved too slow. The force of the blow rattled him and he staggered, vision swimming. Before he could recover, another blow came at his other side. This time he tucked his chin in and pulled away. The strike glanced off his shoulder and he grimaced and drew back, heart hammering. He swallowed, trying to steady his trembling arms.

Anticipate. Watch the eyes.

Dirt Face’s eyes darted to the left. Then he threw a weak jab with the same hand. Koa pulled his head back, dodging as he threw a swift uppercut straight into Dirt Face’s chin. He stumbled back, arms spread and body undefended. Koa seized the opportunity and stepped forward, thrusting his fist into the man’s stomach. A gasp slipped from Dirt Face’s mouth and he wheezed, clutching his stomach.

The memory of Hazard getting kicked flashed through Koa’s mind. With a smirk, he stepped back, then spun, throwing his leg around and driving his heel into Dirt Face’s chin.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Even though I liked the final line, I decided to change it in this revision because I wanted to show why Koa decides to try and end the fight with a kick, since a kick is contextually appropiate

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Newest newest version. Tweaked the overall fight instead, especially the beginning. Tried to add more flow and narrative tension.

Would love feedback to know if it's smoother, understandable and clear.

Mild spoilers for Legendary Adventures.

Tagging @Pen cause you read the first version and gave good feedback and I would love to know if you think this is better :)

Koa’s rage flared up. Red blurred his vision, and he longed to spring at Dirt Face and pummel him into the ground. He clenched his fists tighter. No. Let your anger fuel your fists, not your mind. He repeated Kitto’s mantra in his head, taking as deep a breath as he could muster. Slowly, his anger simmered down.

Taking another slow breath, he shifted into a fighting stance as Kitto had shown him. Head down, fists up, and stance wide. His gaze shifted to the pokeballs on Dirt Face’s belt. There. That was his chance. If he could get the pokeballs, he could return Dirt Face’s pokemon and end the battle.

Dirt Face peered at him and raised his own fists. He chuckled, eyes zeroing in on Koa. Then he charged.

Caught off guard, Koa yelped in shock and backpedaled as he brought his arms up. Blows rained down on him from both sides and he barely had time to process as he frantically blocked and twisted.

Each wild blow elicited a burst of pain. He kept moving back, desperate to give himself room to move, to think. His back collided with something and in an instant, he ran out of room to move. He was trapped.

A fist swung at his face. He ducked, feeling the blow sweep over his head. He countered with a jab, hitting Dirt Face in the chest.

The blow struck home, eliciting a grunt from Dirt Face and making him take a step back. Koa skittered to the side, managing to scramble out of the corner. Dirt Face spun towards him and advanced, unfazed.

Koa tensed, heart pounding in his ears as he tried to anticipate the next attack. With a grunt, Dirt Face threw another punch at his face, a sloppy haymaker. This time he was ready.

He dropped his weight onto his back foot and pulled his head back, tucking in his chin. The blow missed by several inches and Koa smirked. Dirt Face might've had a slight weight advantage, but he was slow, clumsy.

Edging forward now, Koa threw a quick hook. Dirt Face jerked his head back, causing Koa to miss and merely graze his nose.

Desperate to press his advantage, Koa jabbed at Dirt Face's chin. His fist swung wide and his blow easily dodged.

"Hah! That the best you got, little boy?" Dirt Face called.

Let your anger fuel your fists, not your mind! Fighting is simple. Defend and attack. Koa took a deep breath. His opponent's strikes were uncoordinated, the mark of someone untrained. One good blow could end this. He focused on Dirt Face.

Anticipate. Watch the eyes.

Dirt Face’s eyes darted to the left. Then he swung. Koa grinned. There it was. The same sloppy haymaker as before.

Koa pulled his head back, dodging as he threw a swift uppercut straight into Dirt Face’s chin. He stumbled back, arms spread and body undefended.

Koa seized the opportunity and stepped forward, thrusting his fist into the man’s stomach with all his might. A gasp slipped from Dirt Face’s mouth and he wheezed, clutching his stomach as his smudged face turned red.

The memory of Hazard getting kicked flashed through Koa’s mind. Payback time. With a smirk, he stepped back, then spun, throwing his leg around and driving his heel into Dirt Face’s chin.

Last edited:

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Assuming the concerns are the same I'll make a read over of the revamped span you've offered here.

I would like some feedback on the prose of this fistfight I wrote. I only would like to know if the prose itself flows well, and if the fight is clear and easy to follow. Which parts are clunky and which are smooth, where it needs more or less detail. Should it be longer? Or is it long enough?

For context MC, Koa, is fighting a thief (basically). I already noted physical details about the thief, who is nicknamed Dirt Face. He isn't much taller than Koa and he's not big or bulky or anything crazy.
Koa has had fight training, while his opponent hasn't (although this isn't explicitly stated, he is shown to be poor at it.)

So here's a partial line by line break down...

A/N: Your original text is in ittalicies, my notes are parenthesized in normal font, titles bolded, underlined italics is your text but altered to my suggestions.

What are you gonna do about it, huh? Fight me?”

(Who is talking? Further reading confirms it’s likely Dirtface, but the span immediately after the dialogue can be used to establish dirt face’s description, or even a “DF said” to prevent confusion in the opening line. As we’ve two hostile males getting at it this dangling dialogue into could equally be Koa or DF yapping off before the fight kicks in. This advice might be unnecessary considering the previous lines of your story but even with the scenario outlined the line was a bit loose as to who said what.)

Koa’s rage flared up.

(Since things rarely flare down, or sideways, I’d dub the “up” as redundant and suggest dropping it. Unless you want to build up on the fiery temper analogy (which is rather funny for a character named after a fish… if he burns himself for his temper it gets even funnier… sorry back to work then…), The buildup character as a hot head via analogy would require some retooling of the next few lines to work deeper in. If that’s a point of interest drop me a line.)

Red blurred his vision, and he longed to spring at Dirt Face and pummel him into the ground.

(Theres’ a few smoothness points.

On lists, actions or otherwise, you can drop a few of the “ands” present and keep meaning.

The easiest fix not touching other issues would be this:

Red blurred his vision, he longed to spring at Dirt Face, and pummel him into the ground.

I’d however vote for a slight reorganization of the ideas presented in this line and the following that focus on Koa calming down before getting into it with DF.)

The scene before the confrontation:

Red blurred his vision, he longed to spring at Dirt Face, and pummel him into the ground.

He clenched his fists tighter. No. Let your anger fuel your fists, not your mind. He repeated Kitto’s mantra in his head, taking as deep a breath as he could muster. Slowly, his anger simmered down.

The breakdown:

Vision reddening

Longing to spring

Longing to plumel

Clenched fists tighter.

Yoda/kitto advise

He repeated manta in head

Deep breath as possible

Slowly his anger simmered down.

Another deep breathe,

Fighting stance via kitto

Describe stance

Glance shift to pokeballs

Established goal get the ‘mon?

(Are DFs team out now?)

Thoughts:

Alright this is a lot of internalization as a prelude to a fight… I’d guess in a standard standoff you’ve got a minute tops before someone snaps and throws the first hit. Consider there’s some baiting and intent to get to business I’d cut that time down a bit… With that in mind you might want to either cut or merge the ideas. Also there is a point of confusion in the last line, if DFs team are out and about at this moment, if so why haven’t they been noted/seen/ involved in the fight thus far...

actions

He clenched his fists tighter.

Taking another slow breath, he shifted into a fighting stance as Kitto had shown him. Head down, fists up, and stance wide

Internalization

No. Let your anger fuel your fists, not your mind. He repeated Kitto’s mantra in his head, taking as deep a breath as he could muster. Slowly, his anger simmered do

His gaze shifted to the pokeballs on Dirt Face’s belt. There. That was his chance. If he could get the pokeballs, he could return Dirt Face’s pokemon and end the battle.

A
lright looking at everything spread before me in bits… then organizing it as internal and actions I’d recommend a rehaul of order so you can streamline everything more concisely. This will give the lot a short, cropped, look that should help the feelings of tension along preceding the fight.

In the spirit of that, I’d suggest you start with

He clenched his fists.

Then building on the hot head moment earlier

He longed to spring at, and pummel DF into the ground.

Then kittos mantra can pop in, showing the character growth, attempted restraint, and morals ect.

No. Let your anger fuel your fists, not your mind

Then, to establish control being regained,

He took a deep breathe,

(I’d rec dropping the “other deep breathe” as we’re on a time limit here)

Shift into fighting stance.

Then

Red receded from his vision

Which spring boards into

Koi noticing the pokeballs ecetera.

Why is this order important? We start focus on the main character. He flows from temper to temperance, but shows a willingness to fight. Not noticing the pokeballs can be explained/assumed off by Koa having to get over his anger issues then turning his attention outwards. By having the fighting stance taken as his last overt action he is prepping for the fight and to look outwards thus spring boarding into the pokball observation. As for why the red vision is used last, it’s to preserve the text (assuming you like it) and to show, 1) it was there and 2) his development from tantrum to more reasonable trained fighter.

Getting into the scrum:

Dirt Face peered at him and raised his own fists. He chuckled, eyes zeroing in on Koa. Then he charged.

Alright… peering is a bit odd word choice as it’s more associated with sneaking, peering around corners, ect. Unless DF is established as someone with vision problems it doesn’t work well here. Also as he’s already been sassing at Koa I’d drop the eye zeroing in. He knows where Koa is, they faced off already so the peering and eyes zeroing become excessive.

So where does that leave this line?

Dirt Face raised his own fists. He chuckled at Koa, then charged

Koa’s response

Caught off guard, Koa yelped in shock and backpedaled as he brought his arms up.

As Koa is caught off guard the “in shock” of his yelp feels repetitive.

That leaves you with

Caught off guard, Koa yelped and backpedaled as he brought his arms up,

Next action then:

Blows rained down on him from both sides and he barely had time to process as he frantically blocked and twisted.

Considering the pace is established by “blows rained” and “barely had time to process” the line He frantically can be dropped as the lots clearly fast paced and crazed..

Each wild blow elicited a burst of pain. He kept moving back, desperate to give himself room to move, to think.

Because blow was used less than a line ago I’d run with replacing blow with “hit”. And since this is a dirty street fight vibe here I’d drop the “elicited a burst of pain” with hurt as the wordiness is cluttering up the action and not present in the spans around it therefore not looking to be a steady point of your writing style..

Again, the fights dirty and rough, “desperate” can be dropped, if Koa is moving back it’s for a reason and that doesn’t have to be overtly stated since he’d getting hurt standing still in the first segment and just wanting to get away from that is reason enough.

His back collided with something and in an instant, he ran out of room to move. He was trapped

Alright, this areas a bit choppy. Again we got some wordiness here that can be cut and the meaning preserved. Here’s’ a basic fix without rehauling the line too much.

His back smacked into something, and in that instant he was pinned/trapped.

Heres’ how it looks all put together.

Dirt Face raised his own fists. He chuckled at Koa, then charged.

Caught off guard, Koa yelped, and backpedaled as he brought his arms up

Blows rained down on him from both sides and he barely had time to process, as he blocked and twisted

Each wild hit hurt . He kept moving, to give himself room to move, to think.

His back smacked into something, and in that instant he knew he was pinned/trapped.

T
his section is as a whole rather streamlined, drops wordiness, and gives the lot a back and forth motion. DF moves, Kao responds (badly since he's getting thrashed and pinned), the back and forth keeping the flow of the combat crisp, minimizes confusion as to who is doing what (clarity) and hopefully helps with prose issues in later installations as wordiness seems an issue rather than a style choice in this segment.

Hopefully this helps.

Give me a few days and I can wrap up the rest of the sample you've offered if you like. But please let me know if you want me to do so, as this type of go-over is time consuming and I'd prefer a green light to continue before I sink more time into it.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Thank you for the feedback! This gives a lot of really good advice I'll be going over. I know going over the whole piece line by line is difficult, so I definitely appreciate everything you've done so far. Going over the rest of it isn't necessary, I think I understand the raw gist of it, its not critical enough for me to say to take the time to try and go over the whole thing.

I also realized I meant to say 'leered', to 'peered', lol. At any rate, I'll be revisiting this to cut unnecessary verbiage. I'll also take a look at making sure the flow of thoughts lines up and progresses naturally. As well as the other topics you pointed out. :smile:

Thank you again for all the insight, I have a fairly good idea for how to tweak this.

Reactions: K_S

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
This is one of two scenes I'm seeking help with. An action scene, non battle related, form the work "Two paths" that I'm editing the heck out of. I trimmed it a bit but it still clocks a 780 words... Sorry there wasn't much I felt safe to cull and hold all the trouble parts so it overshot a bit. I'm aiming to check readability/clarity as it has the added challenge of swapping viewpoint very fast in a short period of time and it's not something I normally do.

A blurb for context, Persian and Gio were taking a walk... then murder attempt via augmented natural disaster is thrown at them and this was the result.

TW for drowning attempt, murder attempt,

Perhaps taking some hint from his trainer’s expression Persian slowed his approach, tipped his head, and then turned about to see what his trainer was looking at. The feline’s fur fluffed out as realization struck. His ears slicked back in horror. This was Bath Time. But worse, so much worse...

Giovanni was unseeing of his cat’s reactions, shock locked his feet as he stared at the swell of water that was approaching. Rising out of the river banks, making the spans about it swell beyond the sandy banks of the basin’s side, never mind there shouldn’t have been enough water naturally for such to happen. The swell was unnaturally slow and soundless, the augmentation of a natural water source was from some ‘mon’s attack. And the violet tint to the whole warned of a psychic’s hands behind it.

Aquatic impossibility swirled and staggered like a drunken man. The debris specked crest swinging from bank to bank, like a sightless hound hunting. As for what was housed in the wave… the sheer quantity of the debris he could make out was staggering. So many tree branches it might well be a grove… rocks defying their own nature to float atop only to sink below as physics trumped psychics, and then unnatural slant took the whole again and they’d raise with a splash. Giovanni froze, almost praying it’d not see him, not even breathing…

But a few seconds showed that unseeing or not, the attack was “hunting”, and coming closer. There was too many and too much debris to count and each was an instrument of death in that directed disaster. Hiding and stillness was not an option.

It was an assassination attempt, quite exotic, but one all the same. And not one he could suss out the cause of and stop via a quick killing.

So he didn’t.

“Run!” The Rocket barked, and Persian snapped back to life. Spinning on his paws the white cat raced up, his trainer a few steps behind. Persian made the lip of the basin in one smooth leap and whipped about just in time to see the water, alerted by the shout, lunge and smash itself into a wave at the ground about his trainer.

The feline darted first one way, then the other. Sniffing the air he darted about the bank’s edge, chasing the direction of pull and foam. Crystal hued eyes locked on the swirl, looking through the frothing top for a darkness that wasn’t stone or bobbing branch. Yowling with every other step, Persian retraced their path, until he was once again where the river, once tamed, had turned. The oddity of their walk before, a mound of rocks upon rocks, that he’d climbed to enjoy lounging upon the sideways growing tree… Now it’d served a second use having caught and held a half of a tree despite the pressures of the malice born swell. Among the branches the cat spied a familiar dark form that smelled of home and safe and blood.

More to that iron tinge, than the wet, he hissed. The climb was a little effort, more a bounce than a lunge. On landing Persian stabbed his claws into wood and stabbed his way along the wrong way facing tree. It’s sideways was a top, and a fork near it’s tip held his prize. The lot rolled and rollicked with each step, between each step even, but Persian’d scaled the pillar of the Sprout Tower a meowthdom ago and this was nothing compared to that.

Snarling and swearing, trying valiantly not to drown, Giovanni clung to the branches that’d –at first- tangled in his coat. The snag had stilled his mad rush downstream, and the controlled water had spun about, making the waves about him slosh back and forth. Despite artificial nature’s damnedest he hung on, the waves had rushed past once, were set to rear and sweep over him again. A glimpse of white that moved against the foam caused him to twist, turn, then the Rocket yelped as fangs sunk into his shoulder.

Sure of his grip, Persian pulled up, and thus his trainer was dragged kitten style back across the wrong way trunk. Not big enough to carry the whole of the human up, the feline strained his neck, trying to do so anyway. Thus they made their way backwards, trunk thickening with each step back. Giovanni limp, hacking, just trying to breathe. Persian wheeled the two of them back one shaky step at a time.

Then the water returned. Half the attack that’d it been before. Still it was enough. The trunk rolled, and despite Persian’s best Giovanni was tossed in, taking them both with him.

Top Bottom