• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Skill Swap Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"Are you for real?" Zack said, annoyance evident in his tone. He held his face into his wings. "What you said was one of the dumbest things ever, girl."

"Coleane." Seb looked at the Tropius with a stern face. "I've seen Trainers that were able to become heroes, and it's all thanks to their Pokémon. You think being human is required to start on the hero's path?"

"No one can be automatically assigned to anythin'," the Pidgeot added. "This isn't a boring theater play with a script you gotta follow--this is life, and you got the power to choose what you wanna do."

Seb shifted his gaze to Zack for a moment. "Um, I don't know what he said, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to reach your heart."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"That's not how it works, though..." Coleane said, beginning to trot away.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"Wait." Jack jumped off from Zack's shoulder and landed on the floor. He looked up to Coleane with a worried frown. "Can't you at least tell us why you think like that? Please?"

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"In my world...humans are heroes. Pokemon aren't heroes unless they're partners with a human hero," she said. Gen...he was human, but...

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"I think I get it," Jack said, looking down in thought and holding his beak. "You and your Oshawott friend are Pokémon, right? But like Zack said, there shouldn't be any rules nor prerequisites."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"There are. It's just...how things work," Coleane said.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"I see..." Seb turned away in disappointment. "Guys, I think we said enough about this."

Both birds returned to their Trainer's side, sighing in defeat.

"You'll still help with the investigation, right?" Seb asked, giving a hopeful look to Coleane despite himself.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Yep," Coleane said, looking down at the ground.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"Well... See you later?" Seb went back to searching for the Pidgeotite. He felt awkward after the conversation ended like that. How old was Coleane, anyway? Was she a stubborn child who didn't like having her view of the world challenged? Whatever the case, he, as well as his birds, hoped she was able to come to some realizations.

<<<>>>​

Last edited:
Skill Swap Sleuthing (wow! Alliteration!) (Jade/Laura/Wes)

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
After affirming with a few strangers about where they’d last seen Sigmin, Wes made a beeline for the shop. He couldn’t be sure it was exactly where the trainer had been taken, but it was a start, at least. He walked briskly, his strides so stiff and swift that Neo and Novo had to trot to keep pace with him.

He wasn’t sure if it was anger or anxiety churning in his gut. Maybe both. Or maybe it was the fact that he’d downed an entire cup of black coffee on an empty stomach. He didn’t sleep a wink after the meeting last night, mind racing and spinning over all the possible outcomes of their plan for today, and this morning he didn’t have an appetite to begin with. He’d considered at least forcing down something to eat—until he heard the news about Sigmin and his Pokémon, and that effectively removed breakfast from his priorities.

It was odd…unnerving, even, that among the few people Wes had actually conversed with, a handful of them had now been targeted. Logic told him that was bound to happen eventually, what with so many disappearances by now, but he couldn’t avoid the nagging thought in his mind that maybe those people disappeared because Wes had spoken to them. First it was Mitch. And now it was Sigmin.

At the very least, the little shit with the Alakazam was fine so far, he supposed. Naturally, the one he hadn’t gotten along with was still here. Figures. Not that Wes wanted the brat to get kidnapped, of course, but…did this mean anyone he’d been friendly with was now a target?

And if that was the case, who was next? Odette and her team? Kimiko and Olivia? Gladion and Hazel? Granted, it might not be the worst thing in the world if that freaky possessed tumbleweed disappeared, but—no. She was horrifying, but she was still an ally. Besides, Wes couldn’t imagine how Novo would react to Enora’s disappearance, and Odette, well…she and Wes had had their differences, but in the end she’d become pleasant company. Maybe even a friend.

Half-sized, maybe, but not half bad. Wes had to take a moment to grin and chuckle to himself at his stupid joke. Oh, gods, he was losing it. Still, it was a good one to stow away in his arsenal. Maybe he could use it on Rui one of these days…if he got the chance…

He shook his head. Too tired, not enough time. He couldn’t afford to dwell on that for now. If he and his Pokémon made it off this island in one piece…then he would make things right. He could at least promise that much to himself.

Turning his thoughts to the present wasn’t any more pleasant, though. The thought of Gladion and Hazel made Wes’ stomach clench and he had to take a steadying breath to fight the bout of nausea that followed. (Dammit. He was going to regret that coffee, wasn’t he.) Gladion was a good kid. Hazel, too. Neither of them deserved any of this, least of all to get kidnapped or hurt or gods knew what else. And Kimiko and Olivia…they were good people, too. Not only would Neo be devastated, but Kimiko…he hadn’t spoken to her for several days now, but she had his back. She was kind and smart and quick-witted. If anything happened to any more of the people Wes had come to know here…

No. Nothing more was going to happen. Because they were going to get answers, they were going to put an end to this, once and for all. Today. And they would start with the shop. He’d thought briefly about asking someone to come with him. He’d noticed Steven at the banquet—thank gods—and thought maybe he could invite the Champion along and also apologize for last night, but…he couldn’t shake the fear that maybe everyone was safer not associating with him. Logic once again tried to reason with him, saying everyone was a target, not just him and his friends, but the thought persisted anyway. So he went alone, with Neo and Novo never more than a meter from his side at all times.

He stopped just short of the shop and looked around, scanning the exterior with narrowed eyes. He didn’t dare get too close or go inside just yet.

“Neo. Scope it out.”

Neo replied with a soft chirp and stepped out from where he was pressed against Wes’ leg. Even he was more subdued this morning, Wes had noticed. Sigmin and his mon’s disappearance had probably dealt him a blow, seeing how friendly he had gotten with the Sala…Salad…poison-type Pokémon.

Neo used Aura Reader! @Flyg0n

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Again?"

<It's not so surprising. For each location living things are drawn to, their being drawn to it draws others. We are attentive to attention.>

"Okay, sure, it's just strange to be making the same descent in the same spot with another stranger snooping about below us, even though this time we're rendezvousing with Jade. Kinda makes me wonder if I'll say the same things. Does this guy look like he has similar vibes to Lourine, or is it just me?"

<I couldn't possibly say. I shall land, now.>

Laura clung to Malachai's ruff as he descended, grateful that he'd begun to give her due warning as she kept requesting. They came to the ground not far from the young man with the pairs of 'vees, and Laura swung herself around and jumped lightly from Mal's neck. This time, she didn't thud quite so hard to the ground. It might even have looked slightly cool.

"Uh, hallo there!" she called. "Laura Weir. I was on the Trousselin. Any leads?"

Malachai sniffed, and raised his great head to look about for Jade. Perhaps she'd be along shortly – she did not, after all, have aerial transport of her own.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
There were too many people trying to figure out what was up with Orzo, and if there was one thing that Jade knew about infiltration, it was that too many people in one spot was nota good idea. The group couldn't afford to have something go wrong and take everyone out in one fell swoop, not even with legends on their side. Jade hated the way her brain defaulted to that kind of assessment, but there was no pretending that it wasn't the reality of the situation. And there were still more attacks happening, even now.

So, whatever. Every time Jade thought she knew what was going on, she was proven wrong, so she'd just have to keep looking into things while everyone else was busy. At least it wasn't just going to be her and Nine--Laura seemed to have the same idea, and had suggested that they meet up near the Swap Shop.

It wasn't hard to spot the huge Noivern landing ahead of her, with that wingspan rivaling Lugia. What did catch Jade off guard was that she and Laura weren't the only ones here. She'd thought everyone else was busy...? But there was that guy in the trenchcoat who Jade had seen here and there, but never spoken to. Something about his appearance reminded Jade of Stalker, except if Stalker always looked angry instead of impassive.

Jade mostly avoided his eye and sort of shuffled over toward Laura. Of course there was no worry about accidentally sneaking up on them with a Noivern's hearing. When Malachai turned, Jade raised a hand as a sort of greeting.

"Hey, uh... guess we weren't the only ones who thought to come here, huh," she said, feeling awkward.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Laura clung to Malachai's ruff as he descended, grateful that he'd begun to give her due warning as she kept requesting. They came to the ground not far from the young man with the pairs of 'vees, and Laura swung herself around and jumped lightly from Mal's neck. This time, she didn't thud quite so hard to the ground. It might even have looked slightly cool.
Wes heard it before he saw it: a deep, powerful rhythm of wing beats overhead. From the sound alone, he knew it had to be something big, but even as he looked up, he wasn’t prepared for just how big this thing was.

“Holy shit—”

His first instinct said to grab Novo, call Neo over, and take a defensive stance. He was a split-second away from doing just that when the dragon descended—he didn’t know what sort of Pokémon this was but it sure as hell was some kind of gargantuan dragon—and Wes spotted…a human on its back. A young woman who alighted nimbly off the Pokémon’s back once they landed.

…right. Right. A trainer and their Pokémon. Not a wild mon looking for an afternoon snack. Maybe. Probably.

Wes made eye contact with the massive creature, who looked down at him as though he were little more than a pesky insect, and he decided not to rule out the possibility of getting eaten just yet.

Novo stepped in front of Wes and took up a firm but not hostile stance. The Umbreon would not make an enemy of anyone he didn’t have to, but he wasn’t about to let his guard down, either. He looked up into the dragon’s eyes, unflinching. “Who are you?”

Neo came bounding over from the side of the shop with a bark. He skidded to a halt at Wes’ side and glanced between him and the newcomers, unsure whether he needed to be on guard or not. But a quick sniff at the girl told him she wasn’t a threat. He raised his tail and chirped a greeting at her.

Wes only stared. After a moment, he finally managed to drag his eyes away from the large—gods, the massive, hulking Pokémon, what the hell—and make eye contact with the girl. He tried to say something, maybe a hello, but instead what came out was a cautious, “Can I help you?”
Jade mostly avoided his eye and sort of shuffled over toward Laura. Of course there was no worry about accidentally sneaking up on them with a Noivern's hearing. When Malachai turned, Jade raised a hand as a sort of greeting.

"Hey, uh... guess we weren't the only ones who thought to come here, huh," she said, feeling awkward.
Wes jumped as another girl, definitely younger than the first, came out from the bushes with a Pikachu on her shoulder. Or, well, something that looked like a Pikachu, but what the hell did he know anymore.

She sidled over to the young woman and gave her a shy greeting, all while very obviously avoiding Wes’ eyes. Not that he could blame her for being wary of strangers in this place, but there sure was something to be said about someone who appeared more nervous around him when there was a legendary-sized dragon sizing them all up like a bored predator observes potential prey.

Before Wes could stop him, Neo trotted up to the group with a trill. “Hello! Who are you? You all look really strong. I am Wes and that is Novo my brother and that is Wes my trainer and we are looking for the ones called Sigmin and Nox because they are our friends and Nox was supposed to share something called ‘soo-shee’ with me but now he is missing.”

He hoped they didn’t catch the distressed sorrow in his voice at that last part.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Neo used Aura Reader! @Flyg0n

The air seemed to ripple ominously with both psychic and ghost energies, almost overwhelmingly so. Faint traces of Nox's poison and fire energy remained, but they were faint. The highest concentration of energy seemed to linger near the rear of the Swap Shop... and there seemed to lie the true site of the abduction. Disturbed earth and grass, Salandit and human tracks...

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Aha, looks like." Laura waved and smiled at Jade, powering through her own awkwardness at Malachai's private telepathic prompting. <Come, girl. She's more anxious than you are. Do her the service of keeping up your chin.>

Then there was the bloke with the 'vees. The wary umbreon, the friendly espeon. She bit her lip at how fucking cute the espeon was. So vocal!

"Can I help you?"

"Well, maybe? We're looking for more leads, more evidence. The big group have some kind of big plan to figure out the hoopa's deal, but everyone can't zero in on that."

Laura squatted down and held out a hand for Neo to sniff. "Hey there," she whispered.

Behind her, Malachai glowered down approvingly at Novo's boldness. <A friend, one hopes,> he sent. <Guardian of my chosen human, as you are of yours.>

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Well, at least the eevees were friendly. Jade knelt down so that she was closer to eye level with them and Nine took the opportunity to jump down from her shoulder and go scout out the area that the Espeon had just returned from, which must have been the attack site.

"Sorry you were looking forward to sushi with him," Jade said quietly. "Maybe there'll still be a chance to get some when this is all over." Once everyone was back... if they could manage it.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Laura squatted down and held out a hand for Neo to sniff. "Hey there," she whispered.
Neo chirped at the greeting and rubbed against Dragon-Girl’s outstretched hand with a purr. She was friendly! She was nice! He liked this girl! She didn’t understand what he’d said, but that’s okay. He would take scratches under the chin anytime.
"Sorry you were looking forward to sushi with him," Jade said quietly. "Maybe there'll still be a chance to get some when this is all over."
Neo’s purr puttered out as he felt the younger girl’s anxiety and sadness. She was a nice one, too, then. He could tell she wanted the missing trainers and Pokemon to be brought back safely.

He stepped away from Dragon-Girl to bunt his head against Sad Girl’s knee. “Yes! We will find them and have a big party with allots if good food and I will get to try soo-shee and—”

He stopped short, then stared up at her, eyes wide. She…had replied to him. She’d understood what he’d said. How? How did she do that! This was cool! He began kneading at the ground in excitement. “You understand me! Are you a Pokémon too?”
Behind her, Malachai glowered down approvingly at Novo's boldness. <A friend, one hopes,> he sent. <Guardian of my chosen human, as you are of yours.>
Guardian. Guardian. Novo liked that. A lot.
He relaxed his shoulders and sat with a swish of his tail. He glanced at the two humans, observed them as they addressed both Neo and Wes (though they were definitely more friendly towards his brother), then turned back to large mon.

“Your human appears to have good intentions. I trust that you do, too.” He tilted his head. “I am called Novo. What are you called?”
"Well, maybe? We're looking for more leads, more evidence. The big group have some kind of big plan to figure out the hoopa's deal, but everyone can't zero in on that."
Hm. Wes supposed he should have figured he wouldn’t be the only one with this idea. He nodded. “Had the same idea myself. Neo here was scouting the place out when you arrived.” He looked her up and down once more; she was young, but probably not much younger than him. By all accounts, she looked like any other run-of-the-mill trainer, were it not for the fact that she’d just flown in on a dragon the size of a damn house. He cautiously extended a hand. “Name’s Wes, by the way.”

Neo perked up at the mention of his name and trotted back over to Wes, chattering away and bombarding his brain with the usual flurry of images and smells and emotions. He winced at the slight throbbing headache that naturally followed, but it wasn’t anything he wasn’t used to by now. He looked back at the other two.

“Neo—uh, that’s my Espeon’s name—says he thinks he found where the attack was, near the back of the shop. We should probably go take a look.”

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Pleasure to meet you, Neo, Novo and Wes," said Laura, smiling. She chuckled at Neo's high energy and adorable demeanour. "Sushi's pretty good," she added, as an aside to the espeon. "I hope we get your friend safe so that you can share some with them."

Malachai rumbled pleasantly at Novo. What a straightforward creature, with sensible attitudes and priorities. Quick to trust a strange dragon, yes, but appropriately and helpfully so in this instance.

<I am named Malachai,> he sent back. <My vow is to serve and protect my chosen as she reaches her potential as a partner to pokémon. For now, that means pursuing the wrongdoer on this island alongside any others whom hunt them. Yourself including.>

Laura nodded to each human. "Let's make like the guy says, I guess. Maybe when we're there, we'll find something useful?"

Sleet would no doubt have some observation to make. That would, however, leave Laura with the problem of having to let Sleet try to mess with everyone...

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
He stepped away from Dragon-Girl to bunt his head against Sad Girl’s knee. “Yes! We will find them and have a big party with allots if good food and I will get to try soo-shee and—”

He stopped short, then stared up at her, eyes wide. She…had replied to him. She’d understood what he’d said. How? How did she do that! This was cool! He began kneading at the ground in excitement. “You understand me! Are you a Pokémon too?”
Jade gave the Espeon an amused smile. "Uh, no, I'm not a Pokemon. Are there really no humans who know Pokéspeech where you're from?" she asked. It was really funny to think that what had once been her worst subject was some kind of special skill.

The Eevees' trainer--named Wes, apparently--had been giving Malachai the occasional wary look, but the Umbreon on the other hand was chatting away with him. That just left...

Jade glanced around and saw Nine skulking around the back of the shop, scrutinizing some details on the ground. Figures that he'd get right to business.

It occurred to her that while she and Laura were here for the sake of solving the mystery, it had to be a lot more personal for Wes and his Pokemon, since they actually knew the ones who'd vanished. She wasn't sure whether to say anything reassuring, or what.

In the end, she just raised a hand as a light greeting and said, "I'm Jade."

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
They seemed friendly enough, Wes decided. Even Novo appeared more relaxed as he chatted away with the dragon Pokémon, and Wes decided that was good enough evidence that they at least wouldn’t be becoming anyone’s afternoon snack today.

“So, what sort of Pokémon is he?” he asked Laura. He kept trying not to stare, but his eyes just wouldn’t stay away for very long. He’d never seen a Pokémon so huge.
Jade gave the Espeon an amused smile. "Uh, no, I'm not a Pokemon. Are there really no humans who know Pokéspeech where you're from?"
Neo tilted his head. Was it…normal for humans to understand Pokémon where this human was from? He chirped. “You are the first human I know who can understand me when I talk! I can talk to humans with brain pictures and feelings, but they don’t understand me when I talk out loud!”
In the end, she just raised a hand as a light greeting and said, "I'm Jade."
That seemed like all the information she was willing to give. Not that Wes minded, though, and it was probably for the best that people didn’t spill their life stories to every stranger they met, least of all in this place.

He nodded in response. “Nice to meet you. I’ll…lead the way inside, I guess.” He headed for the door and huffed quietly to himself. One day, maybe, he wouldn’t find exchanging greetings with strangers so painfully awkward.

They all headed to the back of the shop, where Neo was already there, sniffing about at every nook and cranny. The weird spiky Pikachu was there, too, though Was wasn’t sure if he should be asking any questions about the little electric mon. For all he knew, maybe that was just what Pikachu looked like from…whatever dimension Jade was from. Hell, maybe it was some sort of regional form and Wes would just look like an idiot for not knowing.

Neo’s growl pulled him back to the matter at hand. The Espeon flooded Wes’ mind with more images, smells, feelings of suspicion. Wes knelt to Neo’s level with a frown and scanned the ground, taking note of the footprints and disturbed grass.

“Neo says he recognizes Nox’s scent here, and Sigmin’s. He says he’s picking up on a lot of psychic and ghost-type energy, too.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom