• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Skill Swap Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Zack and Jack heard Aggron’s growl nearby, turning towards where it came from. The Pidgeotto gasped after seeing the large Rock-Steel-type.

“You!” Zack pointed a feather towards Aggron with a glare. “Want a piece of me?”

“Zack, wait!” The Farfetch’d raised a wing towards his friend. “This isn’t the time to fight. Remember to behave, just like you were told.”

“Alright, yeah, I almost forgot.” Zack tapped his head lightly. “Glad you’re here to steer me, Jack-o.”

“Hm? What’s the matter, guys?” Seb looked over his shoulder, seeing Zack looking towards Aggron. But that wasn’t what intrigued him. The Trainer beside him caught his attention, and he covered his mouth in delighted surprise. “Oh man oh man oh man! Steven Stone!” He slowly and awkwardly waved at Steven. “H-Hi!”

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
“You!” Zack pointed a feather towards Aggron with a glare. “Want a piece of me?”
grumpy.png
Aggron huffed a sarcastic laugh and glared at the posturing Pidgeotto. "Looks like you haven't learned your lesson, bird," he said lowly.

“Zack, wait!” The Farfetch’d raised a wing towards his friend. “This isn’t the time to fight. Remember to behave, just like you were told.”

“Alright, yeah, I almost forgot.” Zack tapped his head lightly. “Glad you’re here to steer me, Jack-o.”
Aggron's gaze flicked from one bird to the other, watching their exchange with thinly-veiled irritation. What was with birds and their ridiculous pride? Skarmory was no different, but at least he behaved when Steven told him off. Sometimes...
grumpy.png
"You should listen to your onion-carrying friend more often. He's got some sense in him. Either that, he doesn't want you to get yourself hurt."

“Hm? What’s the matter, guys?” Seb looked over his shoulder, seeing Zack looking towards Aggron. But that wasn’t what intrigued him. The Trainer beside him caught his attention, and he covered his mouth in delighted surprise. “Oh man oh man oh man! Steven Stone!” He slowly and awkwardly waved at Steven. “H-Hi!”
And there it was. Steven was surprised he held in his sigh given his overtired state. A little part of him was kind of impressed it had taken this long for someone to overtly recognize him. But even if he wasn't currently in his home universe, it was his responsibility to put on a good face for the name of the League.

grin.png
"Hello," he gave a polite wave back. "Indeed, that's me. One of many, if this festival's unusual guest list is any indication. And your name, trainer?"

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Seb stood firm and straight, arms at his sides and legs stuck together. There was a bit of nervousness in his excitement. “S-Sebastian Padilla! But my friends and family call me Seb!” He gave a somewhat-exaggerated bow. “It’s an honor to meet you, Champion of Hoenn!”

As Seb bowed, Zack hopped onto his Trainer’s head and held on. “Name’s Zack, hero in training.” He puffed up his chest and bumped it with a curled wing in pride.

“Jack,” the Farfetch’d said with a quick salute towards both Steven and Aggron. “It’s an honor, mister Champion.”

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
hehe whoops.png
"You can call me Steven," he reassured the nervous young man. "It's nice to meet you as well, Seb. Formally, this time. I, well, I remember you from the boat, though we didn't get the chance to speak."

But as Steven tried to put Seb at ease, Aggron scowled deeper at the two birds. Jack? Zack? Reminded him of quack. He kind of wanted to give one of them a whack... Later, though. If the opportunity presented itself...
grumpy.png
"You know heroes don't go around picking fights with everyone, right?"

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"You can call me Steven," he reassured the nervous young man. "It's nice to meet you as well, Seb. Formally, this time. I, well, I remember you from the boat, though we didn't get the chance to speak."
“Well, now we have the chance,” Seb replied, standing back up straight and relaxing his posture. He grinned from ear to ear and clasped his hands together over his chest. “Wanna talk about this place? I mean, I came here to see Legends, and I got what I wanted, but I wanna see more and—”
"You know heroes don't go around picking fights with everyone, right?"
Zack hopped off of his Trainer and onto the floor. He scratched behind his head in embarrassment. “Yeah, I learned that the hard way. You saw what happened back at the cruise, right?”

“He just wants to defeat the bad guys,” Jack said, crossing his wings. “But with this mystery, he might get the chance to save this island.”

“Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that. I’ll do what I can. I just don’t know where to start…”

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
“Well, now we have the chance,” Seb replied, standing back up straight and relaxing his posture. He grinned from ear to ear and clasped his hands together over his chest. “Wanna talk about this place? I mean, I came here to see Legends, and I got what I wanted, but I wanna see more and—”
hehe whoops.png
Well, Seb certainly was an excitable young man. Maybe that's why the incident on the boat had happened; like trainer, like partner. Though he hoped things wouldn't escalate to quite that degree, now.

Steven held up a placating hand to slow Seb down. "Easy, easy, one subject at a time. You said you saw a Legendary pokemon here? I'm curious, what did you find?"

Zack hopped off of his Trainer and onto the floor. He scratched behind his head in embarrassment. “Yeah, I learned that the hard way. You saw what happened back at the cruise, right?”
grumpy.png
Aggron's grumpy expression never changed. "Did you learn though? I'm pretty sure you challenged me to a fight thirty seconds ago. And yeah, I saw. I saw you going after that Sylveon who didn't want to battle you, and I'm beginning to understand why."

“He just wants to defeat the bad guys,” Jack said, crossing his wings. “But with this mystery, he might get the chance to save this island.”

“Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that. I’ll do what I can. I just don’t know where to start…”
grumpy.png
Aggron bit back on his reply that Zack (or Jack? He couldn't recall. The thick-headed one with the fancy plumage) might not get the chance if he pissed off a pokmon who had less restraint than Aggron did.

"Yeah," he said instead. "We gotta find whoever's doing this first. I'll tell you where to not start though. Don't go around picking fights with everyone you see. You don't solve mysteries by smashing first and asking questions later. Steven taught me that. Use your head, but not to hit stuff."
neutral face.png
He grated out a chuckle at his own joke. "You get to hit stuff after you think about things. That way you're sure you're doing the right thing. Make sense?"

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"You said you saw a Legendary pokemon here? I'm curious, what did you find?"
“Manaphy,” Seb responded quickly with eyes wide. “Everyone was acting weird, especially Wallace, when I got there. It was that body-swapping attack, right?”
"Did you learn though?"
“Yeah…” Zack hung his head down in shame.
"We gotta find whoever's doing this first. I'll tell you where to not start though. Don't go around picking fights with everyone you see. You don't solve mysteries by smashing first and asking questions later. Steven taught me that. Use your head, but not to hit stuff."
neutral face.png

He grated out a chuckle at his own joke. "You get to hit stuff after you think about things. That way you're sure you're doing the right thing. Make sense?"
“Yeah, we get it…”

The Farfetch’d slung his leek over his shoulder, tapping it a few times as he looked up to Aggron. “I was thinking that maybe you could help us look for clues, knowing your Trainer.”

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
“Manaphy,” Seb responded quickly with eyes wide. “Everyone was acting weird, especially Wallace, when I got there. It was that body-swapping attack, right?”
thinking face.png
"So they did manage to find Manaphy after all. Fascinating."

straight ahead smile.png
"Several other trainers mentioned something about trying to find that Mythical pokemon today. I'm glad they were able to succeed! Though, I don't know much about it myself. You said something about body-swapping? That seems... chaotic."

worried.png
"And Wallace was involved? Hm, I know his favorite pokemon type is the water type, so naturally he'd be interested in seeing Manaphy, but I can't help worry about this alternate version of Wallace that's here. He seemed rather anxious after meeting me. I hope he's handled an out-of-body experience alright."

grin eyes closed.png
"But, surely there were enough people there to see Manaphy that things went smoothly. Safety in numbers and all that. I should stop worrying so much. I'm glad you were able to see Manaphy as well. An opportunity like that is certainly a rare one."

The Farfetch’d slung his leek over his shoulder, tapping it a few times as he looked up to Aggron. “I was thinking that maybe you could help us look for clues, knowing your Trainer.”
thinking.png
"How's being Champion make you a better detective?" Aggron wondered. Everything they'd tried so far had turned up empty. "Right now we just want to keep everyone safe. So no one else disappears. That's what Steven wants, so that's what I'm gonna do."

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"But, surely there were enough people there to see Manaphy that things went smoothly. Safety in numbers and all that. I should stop worrying so much. I'm glad you were able to see Manaphy as well. An opportunity like that is certainly a rare one."
“I’m glad, too,” Seb said, adjusting his glasses. “But really, I don’t wanna think about what would happen to me if I swapped with someone. What if I swapped with a girl?” He looked down at his birds. “I honestly would’ve preferred swapping with Zack. I’ve always wondered what it’d be like to be a bird. Flying high with the wind…”
"Right now we just want to keep everyone safe. So no one else disappears. That's what Steven wants, so that's what I'm gonna do."
Jack took out the Xatu feather and contemplated it with a grimace. That Kalo boy the officer mentioned, and that Xatu… He seriously hoped they were alright, wherever they were. Maybe if he showed the feather to Steven… No, what if he didn’t have an answer? “Yeah, I’m worried, too. I don’t want any more disappearances. I don’t wanna lose my friends…”

“I’ll be with ya always, Jack-o,” Zack responded. “If the bad guy shows up, I’ll smack the lights outta him and bring him to the idiot cops.”

“Thanks for looking out for me.”

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
“I’m glad, too,” Seb said, adjusting his glasses. “But really, I don’t wanna think about what would happen to me if I swapped with someone. What if I swapped with a girl?” He looked down at his birds. “I honestly would’ve preferred swapping with Zack. I’ve always wondered what it’d be like to be a bird. Flying high with the wind…”
thinking face.png
"There's certainly a lot of possibilities if Manaphy's powers work as you say. I don't think seeing things from someone else's perspective is a bad thing, though. It could put a lot of prejudices and assumptions at ease, if one were to be able to walk in another's shoes."

Steven went quiet for a minute, considering the possibilities.

shocked.png
"I wonder, if Gen was there, was he able to become human again with Manaphy's help? I bet he would have liked that."

straight ahead smile.png
"Trading places with your pokemon partner is another interesting possibility. If you're as close with your partners as your invitation here indicates, I think they'd love to get the chance to allow you to see things through their eyes."

“Yeah, I’m worried, too. I don’t want any more disappearances. I don’t wanna lose my friends…”

“I’ll be with ya always, Jack-o,” Zack responded. “If the bad guy shows up, I’ll smack the lights outta him and bring him to the idiot cops.”

“Thanks for looking out for me.”
neutral face.png
Aggron's glare softened as he watched the two birds. It was clear they were close friends. He knew as well as anyone that if you got along with your teammates, that was a sure way to be stronger. Together. If nothing else, their hearts were in the right place.

"So long as you cool it with the 'wanting to fight everyone' thing, I have your back, too. We'll figure this out, find the missing trainers and make a hero out of you, yet."

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"Trading places with your pokemon partner is another interesting possibility. If you're as close with your partners as your invitation here indicates, I think they'd love to get the chance to allow you to see things through their eyes."
Seb held his chin in thought as he looked at Zack for a few moments before speaking. “It’d be cool, yeah, but would Zack like being me? I mean, he’s really proud of who and what he is. He really loves to show off his moves… and body.” He blushed a bit after mentioning that last part. “He might hate being me, a skinny guy without wings and a fabulous crest. I’ll keep thinking about it.”
"So long as you cool it with the 'wanting to fight everyone' thing, I have your back, too. We'll figure this out, find the missing trainers and make a hero out of you, yet."
“Seriously, I’m tryin’ to be cool with y’all,” Zack exclaimed, a bit annoyed as he moved a wing through his crest. He stopped to adjust the bang over his right eye. “But thanks, I’d really love it if we could work on savin’ the missing peeps.”

“We should tell Seb, too,” Jack said, moving his gaze towards his Trainer. “He’s not the smartest, but he can be enthusiastic about many things.”

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Seb held his chin in thought as he looked at Zack for a few moments before speaking. “It’d be cool, yeah, but would Zack like being me? I mean, he’s really proud of who and what he is. He really loves to show off his moves… and body.” He blushed a bit after mentioning that last part. “He might hate being me, a skinny guy without wings and a fabulous crest. I’ll keep thinking about it.”
straight ahead smile.png
"You never know. He might think it's rather novel, getting to try out a different body. Or maybe just seeing himself from someone else's perspective."

Steven had a sneaking suspicion some of Wallace's pokemon might be most interested in that second reason... He always did gripe about how mirrors never did them justice.

"You can always ask him yourself, too."

He turned his attention to the partner in question, and saw him and Seb's other partner conversing with Aggron.

"Congratulations, by the way," Steven said to Zack, "on your evolution. It's great to see everyone working hard and improving while they're here."

worried.png
Suddenly, Steven's expression fell. The memory of Hayes telling him he'd wanted to learn about Z-moves from Reena bubbled up in his mind. "Well, everyone who's still here," he said, softly.

eyes closed pensive.png
"I'm sorry, Seb, you'll have to excuse me. There's something I wanted to look into this evening, and I should get started on that soon. It was very nice to meet you, though. I hope you'll keep working hard while you're here, and please, stay safe."

“Seriously, I’m tryin’ to be cool with y’all,” Zack exclaimed, a bit annoyed as he moved a wing through his crest. He stopped to adjust the bang over his right eye. “But thanks, I’d really love it if we could work on savin’ the missing peeps.”

“We should tell Seb, too,” Jack said, moving his gaze towards his Trainer. “He’s not the smartest, but he can be enthusiastic about many things.”
neutral face.png
Aggron nodded. "Enthusiastic is good."

He was very aware what kinds of things a trainer's enthusiasm could get them into. And what kinds of things their partners could bail them out of. (Caves. And other assorted trouble. But mostly caves.)
thinking.png
"Just make sure you keep an eye on him, yeah? He's in good hands with you two. Er... wings, I guess."

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"I'm sorry, Seb, you'll have to excuse me. There's something I wanted to look into this evening, and I should get started on that soon. It was very nice to meet you, though. I hope you'll keep working hard while you're here, and please, stay safe."
“Alright, see you soon,” Seb said, bowing courtly. “Take care as well.”
"Just make sure you keep an eye on him, yeah? He's in good hands with you two. Er... wings, I guess."
“Hopefully it’s not much of a problem,” Zack replied with a thumbs-up, both to Steven and Aggron. “Can’t be a hero if I can’t keep my human buddy safe.” He leapt back, flapping his wings for a double jump before sitting onto Seb’s shoulder.

“We’ll make it through together,” Jack said with a determined gaze. “I’ll make sure your trust isn’t misplaced.”

As his Pokémon went back to their Trainer, Seb watched with a smile as Steven and Aggron walked away. “I’m really glad I could talk with him. He’s so cool.” He turned his gaze towards Zack. “And I think he likes you.”

The Pidgeotto swayed his crest with pride.

“Hope the case gets solved soon enough. Then we’ll have all the time in the world here.”
<<<>>>​

Day 3 – Lourine & Laura

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Instead of shopping around the inside like most trainers would have been Lourine found herself slipping around the outside of the Skill Swap shop building. Her Houndoom paced ahead of her, nose to the ground.

"Anything?"

Houndoom grunted and shook his head before continuing to sniff. She glanced over her shoulder again, keen to avoid being spotted. Too much suspicion was flying around and she wasn't in the mood to be questioned by some do well witch hunting trainer who was trying to play at being detective.

@unrepentantAuthor

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Airborne circuits of the built-up part of the island were an excellent way to spot humans and pokémon alike, regardless of how they lurked in unseen places. So far, Malachai had pressured Laura to stay out of the strange happenings on Kunolo Island as much as possible, save for passing interactions with the odd trainer he determined was trustworthy. Eventually, of course, Laura lost patience with this strategy.

"What do you think will happen if we never talk to anyone? We'll never learn where the missing people are, or who the guilty party is. At this rate, we'll start to look like suspects!"

<I am simply trying to protect you. Many pokémon here are extraordinarily powerful.>

"So are you, Mal. I think you can take a houdoom. Now land me down there, please."

The noivern did as she asked with a warbling grumble of complaint, and shortly Laura was swinging herself off his back and thudding to the ground nearby the girl with the houdoom.

"Hallo," she called, slightly breathless from the swift descent. "You got any leads? I'm Laura, this is Mal – I don't think we've met?"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Lourine whirled around, a slight frown on her face. She had hoped not to run into anyone... But then again this was that girl from the other boat who she'd seen with that insane Noivern... Her eyes were drawn to it immediately.

"Damn, you're incredible." She spoke almost without thinking, craning her neck to admire it. They'd never had anything like that back in her Kalos.

"My name is Lourine," she said after some hesitation. A Noivern like that could carry someone off but she'd never given much weight to the 'carried off' idea. It didn't add up.

"It's good to meet you, Laura and Mal. Houndoom and I are just patrolling for anything strange." she spoke casually, relaxed, though she had her guard up all the same. She needed to get a feel for this girl before sharing anything. Too many trainers here with mouths too big.

" Haven't had a chance to meet you yet. Properly that is. This my partner, Azar."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
<I am called Malachai,> sent the noivern, hissing gutturally.

"Nice to meet you," replied Laura, bowing lightly to Azar with the quick sign for [hello, you look strong] that combat 'mon generally appreciated. "Don't mind Mal, he's just full of himself."

<More to the point,> interrupted Malachai (though Laura noticed from the way he inclined his head and wings that he was basking in Lourine's praise, despite himself) <we have found little of note after days of searching, and seek to combine efforts with others, should they be trustworthy. You seem an unlikely candidate for the identity of the guilty party. Have you discovered anything?>

Laura tutted. "Be sociable, won't you?" she muttered. "You'll embarrass me."

Malachai just scoffed.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
A telepathic Noivern? Truly incredible. "A pleasure, Malachi."

Azar didn't seem to understand the exact wording, but he knew enough to know what Laura meant. He dipped his head in acknowledgement.

Lourine considered Malachi's request carefully. They too seemed very unlikely to be involved. Especially since she'd heard the disappearances started before the Trousselin arrived. Perhaps combining efforts could help.

She glanced down Azar, who gave a sharp nod of agreement.

"Very well. I'll share a theory of mine if you will share one of your own." After a pause, she continued. "I've been considering something. A human alone could never commit these acts. But I've been talking to trainers this whole time. What if it's someone's pokemon acting on its own? Gone rogue. I spoke to that woman, Amara. But I never questioned her Hypno fully. So I started to wonder if I've been looking in the wrong place."

She paused her speech and nodded. "That's one idea so far. What are you working with?"

It was a risk, sharing info like this. But Laura and Malachi seemed cautious and sensible. Hopefully she wouldn't spill anything to just anyone.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Laura nodded, and put a knuckle to her teeth for a moment.

"You might be onto something, there. I heard some folks from the Trousselin quizzed some trainers, but only the pokémon are essential to any abductions. And I've noticed that pokémon in some worlds can be much more cognitively sophisticated than others, so it could be any species with the appropriate techniques, not just ones we're used to thinking of as sapient."

Malachai made a deep, discontented chirp at the notion.

"I've been trying to figure out commonalities between guests, in case it helps reveal a motive," she continued. "So far I've noticed that a lot of folks, at least those who came on the Trousselin, have had contact of some kind with dodgy organisations, even former membership, and have been involved with strange or powerful pokémon." She scratched the back of her neck, awkwardly. "But then I ran into a trainer who's basically a tropius with an attitude like a little girl on her first circuit, so it's not a perfect trend. Plus, I have no idea if it's even close to fitting any of the kids who've gone missing... Still, if we can find out what the missing pairs have in common besides being trainers and their partners, maybe we can think of a reason someone might have to target them."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Lourine nodded grimly. "I'd... Considered that. That perhaps everyone was tied to taking down some kind of organization."

There seemed to be a faint hint of guilt or regret as she said those words. But not fresh regret, rather the pain of old mistakes.

"But that Franklin kid? Reena? I don't think either of them were involved in that kind of thing. There must be another avenue. The only thing I've seen so far though is that they were both somewhat tough. Reena and her Drampa apparently knew Z-moves, and I think that Scizor could mega evolve..." she tapped her chin.

"Why.... " she said out loud. "And why take both of them? If it was about competition, it would be easier to to just make a pokemon sick or find another way, no? I missing something."

Frustration seemed to shimmer under the surface of her expression. "Motive, means, opportunity," she declared finally. "That's what we need."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom