• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Sight (Bingo fic, SV spoilers)

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
(for the theme of "crystal paradise, crystal prison)

There was no point in sticking to a day or night schedule in the Zero Lab, where such things simply didn't exist. Area Zero itself always shone in bright daylight, regardless of the dark of the outside night, and in the depths of the cavern, it didn't matter anyway.

And sleep only mattered to one of its two inhabitants to begin with.

Turo roused at three fifteen in the afternoon, having slept about four hours. Far less than a human ought to, but he would insist that it was all he needed. There was so much to be done, he would say, so much about the crystalline depths to explore and understand that who could possibly rest?

The crate of energy drinks he had brought down from his last trip to the surface may have had something to do with that, but not nearly as much as anyone may suspect. He had always been so very driven, or at least as long as his research assistant had known him.

His assistant had worked tirelessly the past twelve hours, the benefits of having a computer program with Turo's exact memories as a partner. And the robotic shell it inhabited was still parked in front of the computer, examining the data on the screens carefully.

Although. "That doesn't look like our research," Turo scowled, still sitting on the bed.

His AI had known he was awake, being able to scan his biometrics at all times, but no greeting was ever needed between the two. After all, one doesn't wish themself a good morning. "Data gathered from the latest crystal samples are still compiling. There is nothing to do in the meantime."

The professor approached, pausing for a stretch of his back and to grab his lab coat from its place over the corner of a pinboard. Even though he wasn't in his typical bodysuit that he considered standard research gear, he still preferred at least the coat, even if it hung over a black tank top and purple boxer shorts. "Ten Sights of Paldea," he read off the screen. "You're full of surprises."

The AI briefly looked down. Was he averting his eyes? A sign of shame or embarrassment was unexpected as well. "I would like to put our research into context. Area Zero is the greatest treasure of Paldea, but what of the others? What do the life forms here, people and pokémon alike, value?"

Turo sighed. He would consider this unusual too if it wasn't a direct reflection of his own curiosity. "There is nothing we require out there. Nothing that will benefit us in Paradise. Besides, you can't leave here anyway." To stray far from Zero Lab was a strain on the AI's power supply. Even to leave the cave was a rarity, and further to the first research station had only happened once. To take him as far as the top of Zero Gate had caused the robotic shell to lose power near immediately upon breaking the misty barrier, requiring Turo to haul the powerless form back with Miraidon's help.

"I know." It was matter of fact, without judgement or regret, and Turo didn't know why he had expected it to carry such things. "Though for curiosity's sake I find that irrelevant. You as well have been fascinated by things that you cannot experience yourself. It only stands to reason that I would as well."

"They're nothing special," Turo dismissed. "We have everything we could ever want down here, or we will once our plan is complete."

"Professor," the AI asked with a slight turn of his head, "what is your intention for me once Paradise is achieved? You have told me that you believe it possible that I may someday be able to leave Area Zero."

It was something Turo intended to fix, eventually, though it wasn't a priority. "Someday. Right now I need you here. Can't have you leaving on me." He said it with a smile, but the AI knew who his thoughts would have shifted to, that saying so even casually was not without impact. "And can't have you causing a stir either. Miraidon caused enough trouble when I left it at the lighthouse. Can you imagine the fuss up there if they knew there were two of me?"

"I cannot." It was the truth, because the AI could not imagine the concept of 'up there' from more than someone else's memories and images taken by strangers. The idea was, quite literally, foreign.

"It would be a disaster!" Turo wheeled around and gestured broadly, arms to the distant heavens. "Think of what the press would say! The great Professor Turo, suddenly doubled? The demands on us from the adoring public would be overwhelming!" It had been a while since Turo had reacted to anything so theatrically, and while it was strange to the AI, it was also oddly encouraging. Humans did such things when they were at ease. His overdramatic tone indicated that he had no true belief in such a thing, so the AI assumed that he would keep his true rationale to himself, if it was truly anything beyond what he had first stated.

Though perhaps there was a small truth, insofar as he had isolated himself to do as he pleased, without regard for the whims of anybody but himself. "Perhaps if you did so, you could send me to fetch the next supply shipment, and you could devote yourself more fully to your work without interruption," the AI suggested.

Turo turned back towards the AI, any mirth suddenly absent from his face and body language. "I cannot risk that. We would have to test your limits, and that would take time away from Paradise," he said solemnly, with a heavy hand on the AI's shoulder. "This is where you belong. Here, with me."

The AI paused. The professor's thoughts had returned to that forbidden subject again; he was certain of it. "Yes, sir."

"No more of this foolishness." Turo patted the AI on the back. "Now then, there's only a few minutes left in compiling. I'm going to wash up and it should be done by then." He started off towards one of the side rooms. "I expect to find you hard at work. No more daydreaming." But at the doorway, he turned back and smiled. "I can take over then. You can rest your processors after that."

Alone in the lab again, the AI gazed back at the images before him, the beautiful land of Paldea--the mountains, the beaches, the cities, the fields, everything the photographs contained and more--and wondered if he would ever see them for himself, and wondered still until the tests completed. Hesitantly, he closed the website, and hoped he would dream of what he had seen, or of anything at all beyond the walled garden that was Area Zero.

Something unique, some aspect that made the AI more than the sum of his parts, whatever it was within him that compelled him to look towards the outside world with brilliant curiosity, simply couldn't be replicated within the confines of the lab's computer itself.

And as such, that curiosity would continue to run in the background.

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
It's funny, I got a review on Ao3 that said that they could see that Turo cares for the AI but puts Paradise above everything else in his life. And I suppose honestly both are valid, considering that this is a guy who ignored a son he supposedly loved in order to pursue that aim. Caring and cruelty manifest the same way.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Howdy! Here I am with a fresh Catnip only for you! :D

So! A Turo and AI oneshot, huh? Well, I'm all for some nice character expansion, so let's dive right in!

Turo roused at three fifteen in the afternoon, having slept about four hours. Far less than a human ought to, but he would insist that it was all he needed. There was so much to be done, he would say, so much about the crystalline depths to explore and understand that who could possibly rest?

The crate of energy drinks he had brought down from his last trip to the surface may have had something to do with that, but not nearly as much as anyone may suspect. He had always been so very driven, or at least as long as his research assistant had known him.

Cripes! I'm surprised his body didn't shut down at some point. There's only so much a human can handle without sleeping properly before they collapse, have all cases of vertigo, or their minds go wacko.

Though, hmmm... I guess sleep deprivation could also explain why he isn't thinking properly and not considering the consequences of his actions. Almost like being stuck in a daylong hallucination / daydreaming, in a sense? :unsure:

The professor approached, pausing for a stretch of his back and to grab his lab coat from its place over the corner of a pinboard. Even though he wasn't in his typical bodysuit that he considered standard research gear, he still preferred at least the coat, even if it hung over a black tank top and purple boxer shorts. "Ten Sights of Paldea," he read off the screen. "You're full of surprises."

The AI briefly looked down. Was he averting his eyes? A sign of shame or embarrassment was unexpected as well. "I would like to put our research into context. Area Zero is the greatest treasure of Paldea, but what of the others? What do the life forms here, people and pokémon alike, value?"

This is actually a good question. What's the backstory of the Ten Sights of Paldea and the various ruins found in the region?

"Professor," the AI asked with a slight turn of his head, "what is your intention for me once Paradise is achieved? You have told me that you believe it possible that I may someday be able to leave Area Zero.

It was something Turo intended to fix, eventually, though it wasn't a priority. "Someday. Right now I need you here. Can't have you leaving on me." He said it with a smile, but the AI knew who his thoughts would have shifted to, that saying so even casually was not without impact. "And can't have you causing a stir either. Miraidon caused enough trouble when I left it at the lighthouse. Can you imagine the fuss up there if they knew there were two of me?"

Turo:

yourehereforever.png

"It would be a disaster!" Turo wheeled around and gestured broadly, arms to the distant heavens. "Think of what the press would say! The great Professor Turo, suddenly doubled? The demands on us from the adoring public would be overwhelming!" It had been a while since Turo had reacted to anything so theatrically, and while it was strange to the AI, it was also oddly encouraging. Humans did such things when they were at ease. His overdramatic tone indicated that he had no true belief in such a thing, so the AI assumed that he would keep his true rationale to himself, if it was truly anything beyond what he had first stated.

Dude, you live in a world where Pokémon can be cloned and genetically engineered. Would a cloned human, even if not in the flesh, be such a weird thing? :p

Alternatively, you could also claim to have found your long-lost twin brother. Nobody would bat an eye.

Though perhaps there was a small truth, insofar as he had isolated himself to do as he pleased, without regard for the whims of anybody but himself. "Perhaps if you did so, you could send me to fetch the next supply shipment, and you could devote yourself more fully to your work without interruption," the AI suggested.

Turo turned back towards the AI, any mirth suddenly absent from his face and body language. "I cannot risk that. We would have to test your limits, and that would take time away from Paradise," he said solemnly, with a heavy hand on the AI's shoulder. "This is where you belong. Here, with me."

The AI paused. The professor's thoughts had returned to that forbidden subject again; he was certain of it. "Yes, sir."

Jeez! The professor really has lost his marbles, if he can't think of anything other than the Paradise. It wouldn't surprise me if he even skipped most of his meals as well because eating would take extra time away from his work.

For a little tangent, this topic about time and how men use it reminded me of the novel Momo. One of the spookiest quotes in that story was "Who has time shouldn't lose time," which led people to not appreciate the joys of life and the moment anymore. All of them turned into robots of an assembly line, who only thought about work and saw eating and sleep as "distractions".

Hm. Thinking about it, I realized how the roles have reversed here. Now Turo is the robot in human guise and the AI is the human in robot guise, if we squint hard enough.

Alone in the lab again, the AI gazed back at the images before him, the beautiful land of Paldea--the mountains, the beaches, the cities, the fields, everything the photographs contained and more--and wondered if he would ever see them for himself, and wondered still until the tests completed. Hesitantly, he closed the website, and hoped he would dream of what he had seen, or of anything at all beyond the walled garden that was Area Zero.

Something unique, some aspect that made the AI more than the sum of his parts, whatever it was within him that compelled him to look towards the outside world with brilliant curiosity, simply couldn't be replicated within the confines of the lab's computer itself.

And as such, that curiosity would continue to run in the background.

Man, this is such a heart-wrenching part, especially considering what happens before the beginning of the SV games and during the endgame... :sadbees:

---

Well, this was a fascinating oneshot! :D

I greatly appreciated the exploration and relationship of Turo and the AI. Seeing how Turo has been overtaken by his own vision of Paradise, and then the AI wondering and wishing to see what's beyond the walls of crystal... Man! This really shows what people can and are willing to sacrifice to achieve their goals, even going as far as disregarding their families, their moralities, or even their own physical needs. This goes way beyond being a workaholic, that's for sure.

Also, gosh. I really felt for the AI. Not even trying to persuade Turo with an excuse -- powering up the mechanical body so that it could go beyond the wall and get a taste of freedom -- had any effect. For Turo, only the Paraside matters, and the rest is a mere distraction and extremely low on the priority list. Heck, I daresay that if the AI wasn't needed to continue with the research, it would have ended up in that low priority list as well. The way Turo treated the AI so coldly was... unnerving.

Prose and length were good, too. Short and concise, with vivid descriptions that allowed us to peek into the minds of a scientist and his AI. As an incurable rambler, I greatly admire this ability to evoke strong imaginery with concise writing, so major kudos for accomplishing that! :D

That's all for now. Thanks for the pleasant read, and I hope to read some more of your works in the future! :veelove:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
Thank you for reading! I'm glad you like it! And goodness I have so much more for you to read now that you're interested!

Their relationship was utterly fascinating and I wanted to know more, but of course with Turo dead and the AI gone from the present, we can never know just how they related to each other. It's clear the AI was both very fond of his creator as well as mystified by his illogical mindset, with both a deep respect and a deep opposition. But what was the other way around? I would imagine Turo held the AI to at least the standards he held himself to, if not stricter.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Catnip time! Day late and a dollar short, but here we go. I was shocked this was so short but you really packed a lot in here!

I'll preface this with how much I HATE Turo, but not because of your story, just because of the canon itself. Awful self-absorbed man who abandoned his poor son, I will riot. That said your story here has made me hate him even more, and I enjoyed it endlessly. There wasn't much explicitly written about his life prior to hunkering down in Area Zero, but there was enough slight implications for my mind to wander and for me to scream "YOU FUCKING BAD DAD BASTARD" no less than 3 times while I was reading it. Also:

"Think of what the press would say! The great Professor Turo, suddenly doubled? The demands on us from the adoring public would be overwhelming!"
Gods he is so SELF-ABSORBED. No, sweaty, the press is gonna ream you for abandoning Arven and leaving him a virtual orphan in the real world, nobody gives a shit that you made an AI, I think that's the least of your worries homie g! 😂

Though perhaps there was a small truth, insofar as he had isolated himself to do as he pleased, without regard for the whims of anybody but himself.
Also I marked this line because idk....it made me feel so, like, angry. Bro did you forget you have a spermling up top that's wondering where the fuck his dad is? And all he cares about is keeping the AI close and scanning crystals. Prime scumbag behavior, I hate him SO MUCH.

I also felt like there was a lot to be said about how he was seemingly more concerned with the existence of this AI and how it can serve him in a more fruitful fashion than the idea of the connections he'd left to rot in the real world by deciding to devote all his time to Area Zero research (*cough* *cough* like his FUCKING SON *cough*). I think there's also a lot to be said about the underlying idea that this AI may actually have its own coherent thought about going topside to experience it and Turo as actively depriving it of that luxury because it's not more important than Paradise. Turo just takes and takes and takes and takes but he doesn't ever give. Deprives Arven of a dad, deprives AI of some freedom, WHEN DOES IT END????? It only hurts more because iirc the AI never gets a chance to go topside because that's what you fight in SV endgame. So sad. Fuck Turo.

This was a lot of hypothetical rambling and not really a lot of crit, I just had a lot of Thoughts (TM). I think my ONLY critique was how the POV migrated from real Turo to AI Turo, it felt a little head-hoppy when I initially read it but upon skimming it again, I actually think it's fine. Small gripe, but other than that, nothing big. This was a good little read, so thank you so much for sharing!

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
The professors were very strange people for sure. Absolutely terrible parents and honestly I will adopt Arven I don't care. He can join his new sister Lillie because I adopted her too.

The AI even only exists because the professor got so paranoid that they thought only an exact copy of themselves could be trusted. And yet the AI was the downfall of "Paradise" because the professor's plan was absolutely ass that would have been disaster. Was it because the AI was able to see it objectively and logically? Did the professor have lingering doubts that manifested in their assistant? And when did the conflict arise anyway? What role did the professor's contradictory and uncharacteristically compassionate death play in the AI's role in the story? If the professor had survived could they have changed? Or would they only have gotten worse, flinging themselves even more fully into Paradise?

That said though yes, no matter what capacity for change they may or may not have possessed, no matter what underlying compassion still existed in them, they also were terrible people who neglected their son to a criminal degree, who used their assistant (who they had to recognize as a sapient being) as a marionette for the security system and forcing them to sacrifice themselves if they wanted to shut down the project (which indicates to me that the AI voicing their concerns was seen as treason), and who would have been fine with destroying Paldea of it meant getting the scientific paradise they imagined. Exploring that in a human way is a lot of fun.

Thank you for reading!

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Sight review.

Alright candidily i havent played any of the switch mon games so expect some questions as we go i guess?

So area zeros basically antartica except its stuck in sunny mode all year long and doesnt get a half year break. Fun.

Turos clearly is a shade of workaholoc with slices of enthusist. I wonder if he discovered zero or not but rustling around in the unknown on low sleeps always a fun misadventure waiting to happen...

Hopefully its something benign like walking into awall.

Laughs... A crate huh? Wonder how long a full shipment/pallet would last?

How substantial is the assistant btw. The shell descriptor makes me think not very... Granted the setting is very sci fi but still...

Also the " why waste time saying hello to yourself" made me feel bad for our pov character... And also wonder if the region prof's motives here.

I'm curious as to the circumstances that lead to turo having to haul his ai assistant around like a sack of potatoes.

But professor what about energy drinks are they part of plan paradise? Because i've seen tje withdrawl on tjose puppies and its a nightmare and a half...

Though seriously i am not a fan of this regions professor... And the only other one i felt apathy this hard for was manga oak... His interactions with the ai are just so backhanded and easy to read as denying the poor ais personhood... I get the guys a man on a mission but still...

Anyways thanks for sharing this snipit of thier dynamic and a fresh perspective on this verse it was fun.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
Oh gosh the story with the professors is uh...complex. The "shell" is meant to be identical to the professor. But I can't say a whole lot more because even knowing the AI exists is actually a massive spoiler. Anything else would give away even more.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
Oh I meant YOU since you haven't played yet!

Reactions: K_S

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Hey there! I'm here for Catnip. Here are my thoughts on the story.

Another Professor & AI fic, huh? Guessing you're really into their concept as characters. It does, though, mean that I will again have fewer feedback to give as some of the thoughts I would have otherwise had were already covered by my reviews on the other two stories.

I find that the mention of having slept too few hours and the consumption of energy drinks works well to highlight Turo's drive for the research.

I think I'm a little confused on how this "AI has the same memories as Turo" thing works. The AI asks about Paldea and Turo's intentions for him, but it feels like those are information that Turo already has, and thus the AI should have it as well. Had Turo dismissed those aspects of Paldea without knowing about them? Had the AI only gotten Turo's memories uploaded once when he was created and never since? If the AI has all of Turo's memories of the surface, shouldn't he also have the concept of the surface? The story mentions that "the AI could not imagine the concept of 'up there' from more than someone else's memories and images taken by strangers", but isn't that equal to the amount of information that a regular person has and, thus, is able to imagine things from? Are human memories somehow incompatible with his processing so that he cannot gain the same information from them as a human would be able to? Does the AI not actually have all the memories of Turo and instead only a subset?

I was initially surprised to see Turo shut down the AI's curiosity so bluntly and essentially go "get back to work", but I guess it tracks since Turo was never a good guy in the games and he is essentially talking to a version of himself rather than someone who is truly another person (from his point of view, anyway).

The concept of having memories given to you from an outside source with those memories being those of someone who is different from you (mainly emotionally in this case) and being interested in something even though the original host of the memories dismissed them is intriguing. It does speak to the AI being a distinct entity on his own.

That's it for my thoughts. See you around.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
Hahahah yeah these two (these four, really) kinda took over my brain.

I figure that his intentions have changed since the AI was initially created. Remember, the AI didn't know the PPP existed until like five seconds before being possessed by it ("was keeping the time machine running truly all the professor cared about?"), so it's clear the AI doesn't know everything, and it's likely that the professor installed that after the AI had been running for some time (if this is addressed in the DLC please nobody tell me I'm still at the beginning).

And experiencing someone's memories as an observer must be much different from how they play out to someone living the moment. For instance, we always forget things, so even the most complete memories will be mere fragments of someone's life. I can tell you what I did today but not in living detail. Imagine a lifetime of that, and trying to figure out the world that way. That's how I figure the AI's memories are--as accurate as the professor can remember them.

Top Bottom