• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Shifted Earth: Pokemon Safety Guide

Larvitar Line

Extension_Driver

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/him

Content Warnings for the entire fic: Blood, swearing and injury to both animals and Pokemon.​

The following document is a guide, compiled to aid the people of Earth in dealing with the planet's newest inhabitants - Pokemon.

While Pokemon are quite dangerous to Earth, unnecessary destruction can be avoided if one takes the right precautions.

Entry #001: Larvitar Line

Overview:

Tyranitar are enormous, lizard-like Pokemon standing at about 2 meters tall. The carapace is extremely thick and tough, requiring heavy weapons to break through. They are incredibly aggressive and eat dirt and rock, which cause mountain ranges to disappear. Great tunnels to be found underground at their nesting sites, where they are seen with their young.

Physiology:

Larvitar is a small, reptilian Pokemon. The species that have been brought in thus far average a weight of 72 kilograms and a height of 0.6 metres These creatures eat an entire mountain’s worth of soil and rock, casing the landscape to change. It is theorized by the scientists of Earth that this supplies the immense amount of energy needed to become a Pupitar.

Pupitar is a Pokemon with a grey-blue shell, being 1.2 meters tall and weighing 152 kilograms. Research is still underway to determine the workings of its locomotion mechanism.

The final evolutionary stage, Tyranitar, stands about 2 meters tall. Green, armor-like hide covers much of its body. Research data from autopsies is still being compiled.

Safety:

The best defense against a Tyranitar is to run. Due to the lethality of this species, it is imperative that one does not engage even if well-armed. Contact the local authorities and wait until help arrives.

Eyewitness responses from the Early Shift have described combatants, both military and civilian, attempting to subdue one of these creatures with gunfire. Below is a quote from Michelle Altrina, a member of the Terran Preservers civilian militia in Los Angeles:

This giant Godzilla thing, man. It seriously picked up a loaded Abrams like a fucking toy and hurled it. Luckily that explosive shell shot at it killed it immediately. We’d have been screwed if it hadn’t, because practically all our ammo bounced off it.”

Another eyewitness in Australia describes Army Reserve soldiers taking down a Tyranitar with mortar rounds. It took “over a dozen shots” to fell the beast.

Perhaps the most harrowing account of combat against a Tyranitar is the account by California National Guard Sargent Finch. His squad was aiding in a push towards a Pokemon-overrun town.

When asked, he refused to answer many questions, only muttering something about noticing the town almost completely leveled and the few terrified civilians hiding away in fear, as well as this:

Fucker took about three 120mm shells to put down. Wouldn’t you believe it, these things bent the turret of an M1 Abrams like a plastic drinking straw.”

Warnings:

Use extreme caution when approaching wild Larvitar. The members of the Tyranitar line are extremely aggressive.

Owning a Larvitar in America is a criminal offense, with penalties starting at a $25,000 fine, 10 years of jailing time, and the Larviatar taken away and put down.

Last edited:
Latios and Latias

Extension_Driver

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/him
Entry #002: Latios and Latias

Overview:

Latios and Latias are jet-like psychic dragons, standing at about 1.4 meters tall. They levitate off the ground, are highly intelligent and are capable of achieving supersonic speeds at will for extended periods of time.

A significant amount of both Latias and Latios have chosen to settle in the nations of the post-Shift Earth as citizens, particularly in places like France, America, Canada, and Australia.

Physiology:

Both Latios and Latias are Psychic/Dragon types. They are exceptionally intelligent, and a survey of where Latios and Latias reside as citizens show that these Pokemon make up about two percent of the population.

These Pokemon also possess telepathy, which allows them to easily communicate with humans. Latias and Latios who live alongside humans tend to speak human languages with varying fluency alongside the universal Pokemon language. They also have the ability to become invisible through the precise control of refractive feathers.

Both types of Pokemon can live up to four centuries at maximum.

Latios is the male version of the species, while Latios is the female version.

Culture:

Little is of yet know about the culture of these Pokemon. While Latios and Latias do take on the culture of wherever they reside to an extent, the exact details of the culture of wild Latios and Latias are uncertain. In the wild, Latios and Latias are exceptionally good at hiding from humans, and catching them is difficult to the point of being not viable.

Relationship with Humans:

Latios and Latias that have received citizenship tend to work in jobs using their powers. There are a few Latias and Latios who have opened fortune-telling businesses, using their psychic abilities to great effect, as well as some working as therapists and teachers.

Wild herds of Latias and Latios prefer to stay away from humans. They permit humans to pass through their territory as long as the humans are respectful and harbour no ill intent.

Safety:

Being confronted by either a Latios or Latias is uncommon. While the vast majority of Latios and Latias are friendly and personable, injuring or insulting them is likely to result in the attacker being on the receiving end of a psychic attack, which is likely to leave lasting psychological issues.

Fighting a Latios or Latias, either armed or unarmed, is not recommended. The best one can do is try to talk them down.

Notes:

Any Latios and Latias who desire to fly using public airports must carry communication gear for communication with air traffic controllers. Flight around cities is permitted but only at low speeds.

UnderSeaWings

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
He / Him
Research is still underway to determine the workings of its locomotion mechanism.
Yeah, exactly how it moves would be a real mystery. I am kind of interested in seeing/hearing what your thoughts on the exact means of locomotion are. I have seen some stories go with a gas-based propulsion method, akin to what octopus can do through their mantles. Do you have a specific means already in mind, or is that something you are keeping in your back pocket for now? :)
The final evolutionary stage, Tyranitar, stands about 2 meters tall. Green, armor-like hide covers much of its body. Research data from autopsies is still being compiled.
Man, given how you describe these things as walking tanks later on, how did they even get the bodies, haha. Or at least, a body that wasn't salsa. I can imagine that the ten rounds you mention later on did a lot of interior damage to muscles and organs
Owning a Larvitar in America is a criminal offense, with penalties starting at a $25,000 fine, 10 years of jailing time, and the Larviatar taken away and put down.
I mean, kinda fair given just how dangerous they are. It'd be like a civilian having a do-it-yourself tank, like that Killdozer incident.
A significant amount of both Latias and Latios have chosen to settle in the nations of the post-Shift Earth as citizens, particularly in places like France, America, Canada, and Australia.
Nice to see the contrast, one organism is highly dangerous and pretty volatile and the other has become a literal citizen in their own right.
They are exceptionally intelligent, and a survey of where Latios and Latias reside as citizens show that these Pokemon make up about two percent of the population.
Do you think that this might be the flock instinct causing the Lati's to keep together to some degree? Or am I using the wrong thought matrix for what the town size is where these Pokemon settle. I know some places are still considered towns even when they have a little over 200 people. Just trying to picture how many people live in the areas the Lati's are settling.
Little is of yet know about the culture of these Pokemon. While Latios and Latias do take on the culture of wherever they reside to an extent, the exact details of the culture of wild Latios and Latias are uncertain.
ooh, mystery. Always love when there is that extra little bit that can be explored later on. :)
Fighting a Latios or Latias, either armed or unarmed, is not recommended.
Common sense, it saves lives. XD
Any Latios and Latias who desire to fly using public airports must carry communication gear for communication with air traffic controllers.
More common sense. Gotta have some ability to make contact with those in the air with you, to ensure no collisions happen. Pretty sure that the first time a Lati collided with a plane was pretty newsworthy...is it weird I can see some Lati hiring themselves out as personal flights for those that are willing to pay for it? Cause like, I know of a couple people that absolutely would do that sort of thing. I am guessing in those situations that safety gear is pretty regulated and essential.

Extension_Driver

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks for the review! I'd love to answer your questions:
Do you have a specific means already in mind, or is that something you are keeping in your back pocket for now? :)
I'm keeping it in my back pocket for now! A gas-propulsion system seems like a good idea for my fic; I'll see if the idea works out.
Do you think that this might be the flock instinct causing the Lati's to keep together to some degree?
Yes, I did plan to include that, at some point in one of my fics, trying to describe what a Latias/Latios community would look like.
Just trying to picture how many people live in the areas the Lati's are settling.
Most of these 'mons prefer to live in less densely populated towns, where it's quieter. There are some who decide to live in major cities though.
More common sense. Gotta have some ability to make contact with those in the air with you, to ensure no collisions happen. Pretty sure that the first time a Lati collided with a plane was pretty newsworthy...is it weird I can see some Lati hiring themselves out as personal flights for those that are willing to pay for it?
I could definitely see these Pokemon using their flight abilities to make money. In my universe planes changed quite a fair amount with the arrival of Pokemon. I imagine Latias and Latios doing short domestic flights while international travel/cargo transport still using normal aircraft. I'm not certain what safety gear these Pokemon would have to use though.

And, yeah, the fic saying that fighting Pokemon is not recommended - it does give the impression that someone tried to fight a Pokemon once and got hurt.
ooh, mystery. Always love when there is that extra little bit that can be explored later on. :)
Heh, I might explore it in my next fic.

Top Bottom