• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Sharpedo Bluff

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
A week. That was all the bedrest Brisa could tolerate allowing herself after the gyarados fight. One week, and not a day more.

It wasn't that it was a perpetual discomfort to be cooped up in the hidden quarters trying to avoid interacting with other folks... or it wasn't just that. It was that if she was resting up, she wasn't on the lookout for further threats. There would be further threats. The unkown disease. The mysterious fighting elsewhere. More berserk giant mon. She was sure of it.

She dragged herself out of the town and over to the Bluff, wanting to remember how she'd felt on the first day here, to spit out over the edge into the sea and feel that same feeling of confidence and reassurance. Without Curio this time — it would be humiliating if she struggled to make it to the Bluff unaided and Curio was around to see. She made it okay in the end, in any case.

But it looked like there were some folks already there.

She almost turned back, but... if they were all going to be sticking around a while, she ought to get comfortable around them. And hey, she knew Celeste. Sort of. The golett, not so much. And what's more, they reminded her of Gil...

Fuck it. She'd go say hi all the same.

"Uh, hey there you two!"

Last edited:

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
“Brisa? Heh, it’s good to see you’re all in one piece.”

Should he bring it up? The encounter they’d had while hunting had been making like a Rampardos in his headspace during what moments of consciousness he’d had while recovering. He had to broach the subject eventually.

“So... About that hunt we had... And the disease everyone was talking about last week...

“They said they weren’t sure what it develops into... I think... Do you think that might’ve been what we saw?”

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
A Croconaw emerged from Sharpedo Bluff a few moments later, saying, "Look, thank you for coming, but Turf needs her rest, and--oh. You guys." Surf hesitated, her claws still digging into the lip of a satchel that bobbled with berries and other healing supplies. "You guys are feeling better, huh? Well... Mom and Dad aren't back, and the rest of our family isn't, either. But I'm fine, and..." She looked at Celeste, remembering the offer. "You're here to try to heal Turf, huh? Everyone else tried what they could and it didn't work, you know. But... then again, everyone tried to fight that Magikarp..."

Surf, looking conflicted, shifted her weight.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
“So... About that hunt we had... And the disease everyone was talking about last week...

“They said they weren’t sure what it develops into... I think... Do you think that might’ve been what we saw?
Brisa approached, on firmer ground with this topic. Terrifying threats were easier to handle than small talk.

"We certainly shouldn't rule it out, but neither should we make rash assumptions. Have you found out anything else—"

"Look, thank you for coming, but Turf needs her rest, and--oh. You guys."
Oh, a local? Brisa was vaguely aware someone lived at the Bluff. She connected the dots — ah, right. Team Spice's daughter, the mon with the unwell sibling, and the person who lived here were all this croconaw.

She looked to Celeste to answer — he was probably the 'healer' in this conversation. Golett didn't have healing powers, that she knew of.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Oh. Ashwood put together what was happening. ...Good thing they hadn't barged into the house like they had been planning.

They glanced at Celeste. No wonder he looked so solemn. Ashwood doubted Celeste would be able to heal Turf with a Wish -- this mysterious sickness wouldn't be taken care of so easily -- but they understood why he would feel the need to try.

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
"You're here to try to heal Turf, huh? Everyone else tried what they could and it didn't work, you know. But... then again, everyone tried to fight that Magikarp..."

Celeste nodded. “You had said some of the things made her feel better temporarily. Maybe I can at least help a little bit?”

He forced a half-smile. “I guess it’s worth trying, at least.”

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
There wasn't much that Surf could do to object to that. Her huge jaw clenched, but her eyes were sad and hopeless rather than defiant or apprehensive. "Just be quiet when you come in, alright? And stay behind me." Surf turned around and descended into the little hole atop Sharpedo Bluff's top.

Inside, there wasn't much compared to before. Some water jugs to the corner of the room, regularly refilled by Surf; a pile of used berries and rinds for salves and potions. There was a horrible aura in the atmosphere, not like a scent, but a mere feeling that chilled the team to their bones. Despite this, Surf seemed completely unaware of it, and instead crouched down next to her sister...

Turf, a Totodile, was a deep, dark, blackish blue. Her scales looked soft and rippled like water. Her fingers had stopped looking like fingers or claws and instead were more like lumpy nubs that occasionally clenched like an angry fish. Her lower half was obscured by a blanket that was draped over her, but her tail pushed out from underneath, revealing the long, twisted, gnarled thing it had become. Billowing out of Turf's maw was black haze with every breath; her eyes were closed and it was hard to read her expression with how darkened her body had become.

"There's nothing physically wrong with her," Surf explained, "yet she seems so miserable... I--I don't know what's wrong with her." She'd said it so many times before, hoping that someone would return with answers instead of the same, uncertain shrug.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa bit back a flinch and thought fast.

Nobody panic. she cast with her thoughts, expecting Diyem to translate for the others. Nobody say a thing. Let Celeste perform his Wish and hope for the best, but I got no doubt this gal won't take it too kindly if we tell her what we're seeing.

She looked to the absol again, not daring to hope that his powers would make a difference.

Last edited:

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
"Nothing physically wrong with her?" Ashwood repeated before they could stop themself. "Um, sorry. Maybe you're right and Celeste will be able to help."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"What?" Surf gaped. "What do you mean, ominous black mist? I don't know what you're talking about, she's just... sick! She's not--are you seeing things?"

Turf groaned, but her voice had a low garble to it, like she was speaking through rustling leaves. "Surf... I..."

Surf rushed over and held her little sister's head. "Hey, I'm here, Turf, I'm here," she said, and then looked back with an angry frown. "I said for you to be quiet. What happened to that Wish, huh?"

"Why are they here...? I don't... I don't want to..."

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
Well, it was time to Wish.

Being careful not to call up too much power and collapse himself, Celeste began to channel some of Ho-Oh’s energy into Turf. Allowing himself to bend to superstition a little, he whispered the prayer Salac used when casting her own wishes. He knew it wouldn’t affect the outcome, but he couldn’t help but feel he needed every advantage he could get... even the imaginary ones.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Ashwood stared at the Totodile who was very definitely in peak physical condition. They were kind of glad they didn't have a face anymore. They didn't think they would be able to hide their expression.

They looked at Celeste and Brisa, but didn't trust themself to speak out loud. Instead, they sent, Um, Diyem, are you, like, also seeing this? Is Surf in denial or...

Wait.

Maple said that this sickness was affecting Pokemon's auras. Is that what we're seeing right now?

They looked at Turf. God... aura or not, that poor little dude.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Shit. Diyem evidently didn't relay all her attempts at telepathy, it seemed. Diyem! she cried silently, casting her mind's voice to him in hopes of attracting his attention to something so critical as this.

In lieu of telepathy she put a digit to her lips and gave Ashwood a pointed look. Shh!

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Wish's delay did nothing to ease the suspense in the air. Surf stood with her breath held, clasping her claws together as if to join Celeste in her superstitious advantage-hunting. Turf was trying to get out of bed in the meantime, rolling until she was out from under her covers. Her lower half was mostly intact, but her feet looked like they puddled on the ground with every step, and more haze billowed off of her like smoke.

"It's happening... isn't it? What Mom and Dad always said... a crisis... I..."

"Turf?" The elder sister worriedly approached and held her by the shoulders. "Are you feeling better? At all? You're on your feet! That's... I think the Wish worked!"

The Wish hadn't even activated yet.

"I don't want... I don't want to..." Truf was shaking and the shadows were getting brighter. Her eyes finally opened to reveal nothing but darkness and gold pupils. "I don't want to be a hero. They're going to force me... I don't... want to..." Her voice was getting louder and the shadows ate away at the floor.

And this, Surf noticed--not because of Turf, but because of the cracks that were forming on the ground beneath her. "Turf?"

What? Why are you calling me? Diyem said, sounding disgruntled. I'm busy trying to stop an idiot from--WHAT!?

The little Totodile screamed; her cry was piercing and seemingly omnipresent, a nearby pot of water shattering like glass. From her maw, a beam of darkness the width of an Oran Berry shot toward Celeste.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Oh god. Wait, Surf couldn't see --

Ashwood leapt for the Croconaw. They grabbed her arm and yanked her away from the shadows and cracking floor. But in the corner of their vision they saw something -- Brisa jumping to take the black beam for Celeste.

Oh no.

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
By the time Celeste was ready to react to the situation, Turf had already fired... and Brisa had already taken the hit.

It had been aimed at him, though.

Unlike the Rattata, escape wasn’t an option. Even if they left Brisa behind, Turf would have time to fire at them before they all funneled themselves up the staircase. Someone had to do something.

“Everyone, get out. Grab Brisa on the way.”

This body isn’t real, he reminded himself. I can’t die here for real.

He pounced at Turf. Someone had to keep her busy while the others escaped. He was the one who was supposed to get hit, so it was only fair that it be him.

Last edited:

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr was wandering along the cliffs west of town. She didn't really have a destination in mind--just felt good to stretch her legs after being stuck inside for so long after that Magikarp Gyarados fight. There was still a weird soreness everywhere, though she could probably chalk that up to that fight being the first real damage she'd taken in this body.

At one point she'd vaguely noticed a couple of people heading toward the entrance to the explorers' home, which she'd heard was around here. She didn't pay them much mind--after all, she'd come out here to have a moment of peace away from the others. At least, until the quiet air was torn by a horrible wail, followed by the sound of something shattering to pieces.

"What the hell...?" Starr muttered. It wasn't that far away. Part of her was tempted to ignore it, but... seriously what was that? It didn't sound like anything she'd ever--

Curiosity won out. The Litten walked a bit further in that direction until her eyes landed a door leading into the cliffside. In there? Worth a shot. She pulled open the door, descended the steps, and then--

"WHAT THE HELL?!"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
The blast stung and broke something in Brisa, but compared to the Gyarados from before, it didn't hurt quite as much. Still, another hit would make it hard to stand up afterward. And there was something peculiar about this strike, those strange shadows, that made it hurt just as a Mud Shot would to Brisa's electric form.

Celeste's tackle was met with an unguarded stance. Turf's ability to fight was lackluster at best, even with this shadowy power corrupting her--the Wish activated, a healing aura enveloping those in the room. Turf gave Celeste a powerful kick and rolled to the very edge of the room.

This isn't normal, obviously, but Turf has become too dangerous. You have to subdue her. Try to convince or distract Surf, but right now, attacking her is saving her from--

Diyem's voice abruptly cut out, some kind of interference preventing the rest of his words from coming through. Instead, a low growling came from Turf, and an oppressive atmosphere sucked the air from the room. Even Surf felt this one, her trembling body stepping away from her younger sister.

"You're here to recruit us. To force us to fight... I get it... Because of Dad. Because he was human. Because our bodies are stronger because of him."

Something was emerging from the puddle of darkness at Turf's feet. Two golden pupils to match Turf's emerged from this shadowy puddle, forming into a ghostly visage that vaguely resembled a Totodile's shape. It curled around Turf in a spiral.

"What... what is th-that?" Surf squeaked. "It's like s-something's there b-but I c-can't s-see it... Turf... what..."

The shadowy thing curled around Turf opened its mouth. With every word, more black haze drifted and obscured Turf's body.

They spoke in unison. "I don't want to be a hero. I never asked for that. And now... I'm gonna make sure I'm never a hero! I'll... I'll...!" A horrible roar split the air. "I'LL KILL YOU!"

She made a mad-dash for Surf, who was frozen in fear and confusion. The shadowy Totodile that floated around Turf raised a hand, which grew and sharpened into black, knife-sized claws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom