• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Second Anniversary Event Planning

What kind of writing/drawing event would you be interested in?

• Lightning-round exquisite corpse

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Mini prompt challenge

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Collaborative crossover

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Thousand Roads' second anniversary is coming up in a couple weeks, so I'm starting to get together plans for our celebration. I have some ideas for events, but I'm always interested in hearing what other things people might be interested in. Here's what I've come up with so far:

- We'll be hosting another fanfic mafia game similar to the ones we've held in years past (if you're not sure what I'm talking about, you can see how last year's went here). I'm currently planning another RP-optional game in the same style as we've played the past two years, but if you would prefer a different style (no RP, all RP, something else?), please speak up; I think we might have enough interest this year to run more than one game, so we may be able to accommodate multiple different playstyles if there's demand.

- There will be a small review event, similar to the one run last year

- I'd also like to have some kind of small writing/drawing event. Drabble tag kind of fills a similar niche to the event I did last year, so I was thinking of changing this one up. Maybe something along the lines of people drawing quick sketches to serve as writing prompts, or people writing drabbles and then people doing sketches based on them? One way or another, I'd like this to be something quick/easy to participate in, so writing would want to be drabble length or definitely no more than 1k words, and art would likewise want to be quick and unpolished (something like Draw 4 Expose, maybe?)--if anyone has thoughts on what they'd like to see from a writing/possibly art event, definitely let me know!

- Maybe distinct from the above, maybe separate, but potentially a group writing event of some kind. An example might be to set a goal of 30k words for the event, and every sprint run on Discord during that time counts towards the goal, and if it's made everyone gets a prize, or similar. Something to help people get work done on their own writing goals, without putting pressure on for any one person to do a ton of work. This idea is obviously still pretty nebulous, but if you have any thoughts on an event in this vein, I'd love to hear them.

- Discord voice chats! These have been a good time in the past, so they'll certainly return in some form this year. A voice chat where we take turn reading people's fanfics was mentioned as something to try on the Discord server earlier, and I think this would be an excellent opportunity to try that out. Perhaps one or two reading chats and one or two general "hang out and chat" chats?

- Maybe something else! In the past we've had games (For the Queen, One Night Ultimate Zoroark) run over Discord, for example. If there's something you'd like to see added to the list, whether you're able to run the event yourself or not, let me know! The idea is to keep events small and casual so that people can mix and match several without feeling overwhelmed, but outside that restriction, pretty much anything is game!

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
I love these ideas, especially the art/writing event! There’s been some interest in playing some rounds of Amongus over VC, so maybe that would be a fun idea?

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Oh, yeah! This would be a great time to organize some Among Us games. The only thing is someone else would need to be in charge of running those, since I don't play myself.

Edit: For scheduling I realized it might help to actually say when the anniversary celebration will take place! It begins April 23rd and runs for two weeks, until May 7th. So events can take place anywhere within that window.

WildBoots

Don’t underestimate seeds.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. moka-mark
  2. solrock
I can definitely run For the Queen (RPG one-shot, no prior experience or character sheet required) if there’s interest.

Supportive of group word sprint goal + quick drawing event of some kind! Drawing a blank right now on suggestions for specifics, but I’ll double back if I think of smart things.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Hm... I wonder if there would be some interest for a vc game of skribbl.io? It's basically online pictionary from my understanding, though I haven't played it myself.

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
I'm a big fan of the writing/drawing events! The group writing event also sounds fun (I'm always looking for ways to get more words down on paper). If OSJ runs For the Queen, I think that'd be fun to participate in, as well.

Remind me if this is a separate event (and I totally understand if it is), but are the Exquisite Corpses tied to anniversary? Or are they something run entirely separate?

The Walrein

Vicinal Dragging for the Truth
Partners
  1. gulpin
  2. kricketot
  3. bulbasaur
As a suggestion for the "some kind of small writing/drawing event", maybe some sort of drabble bingo game? The idea being that each player would get a 5x5 bingo card filled with miscellaneous Pokemon fanfiction related prompts (or maybe everyone could have the same card for simplicity's sake), the goal being to get as many bingos as possible by writing drabbles or creating art sketches fulfilling the prompts.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Thousand Roads' second anniversary is coming up in a couple weeks, so I'm starting to get together plans for our celebration. I have some ideas for events, but I'm always interested in hearing what other things people might be interested in. Here's what I've come up with so far:

- We'll be hosting another fanfic mafia game similar to the ones we've held in years past (if you're not sure what I'm talking about, you can see how last year's went here). I'm currently planning another RP-optional game in the same style as we've played the past two years, but if you would prefer a different style (no RP, all RP, something else?), please speak up; I think we might have enough interest this year to run more than one game, so we may be able to accommodate multiple different playstyles if there's demand.

- There will be a small review event, similar to the one run last year

- I'd also like to have some kind of small writing/drawing event. Drabble tag kind of fills a similar niche to the event I did last year, so I was thinking of changing this one up. Maybe something along the lines of people drawing quick sketches to serve as writing prompts, or people writing drabbles and then people doing sketches based on them? One way or another, I'd like this to be something quick/easy to participate in, so writing would want to be drabble length or definitely no more than 1k words, and art would likewise want to be quick and unpolished (something like Draw 4 Expose, maybe?)--if anyone has thoughts on what they'd like to see from a writing/possibly art event, definitely let me know!

- Maybe distinct from the above, maybe separate, but potentially a group writing event of some kind. An example might be to set a goal of 30k words for the event, and every sprint run on Discord during that time counts towards the goal, and if it's made everyone gets a prize, or similar. Something to help people get work done on their own writing goals, without putting pressure on for any one person to do a ton of work. This idea is obviously still pretty nebulous, but if you have any thoughts on an event in this vein, I'd love to hear them.

- Discord voice chats! These have been a good time in the past, so they'll certainly return in some form this year. A voice chat where we take turn reading people's fanfics was mentioned as something to try on the Discord server earlier, and I think this would be an excellent opportunity to try that out. Perhaps one or two reading chats and one or two general "hang out and chat" chats?

- Maybe something else! In the past we've had games (For the Queen, One Night Ultimate Zoroark) run over Discord, for example. If there's something you'd like to see added to the list, whether you're able to run the event yourself or not, let me know! The idea is to keep events small and casual so that people can mix and match several without feeling overwhelmed, but outside that restriction, pretty much anything is game!
I'm up for all of these!

WildBoots

Don’t underestimate seeds.
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. moka-mark
  2. solrock
Hm... I wonder if there would be some interest for a vc game of skribbl.io? It's basically online pictionary from my understanding, though I haven't played it myself.
There’s also BrokenPicturePhone.com, which is like telestration: alternating between drawing and describing drawings with sentences.

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
There’s also BrokenPicturePhone.com, which is like telestration: alternating between drawing and describing drawings with sentences.
Can confirm. BrokenPicturePhone is FUN.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
I can definitely run For the Queen (RPG one-shot, no prior experience or character sheet required) if there’s interest.

Supportive of group word sprint goal + quick drawing event of some kind! Drawing a blank right now on suggestions for specifics, but I’ll double back if I think of smart things.
Awesome! I had to miss last year's session, but I'd be happy to see you host For the Queen again this year if you're up for it.

I'm a big fan of the writing/drawing events! The group writing event also sounds fun (I'm always looking for ways to get more words down on paper). If OSJ runs For the Queen, I think that'd be fun to participate in, as well.

Remind me if this is a separate event (and I totally understand if it is), but are the Exquisite Corpses tied to anniversary? Or are they something run entirely separate?
The exquisite corpse is a separate thing, and it'll be starting up in June! Although that reminds me, I had been thinking of doing some kind of "lightning round" corpse for this event... still a half-baked idea, not really sure how it would work, but I'll think about how we might be able to handle it for sure.

As a suggestion for the "some kind of small writing/drawing event", maybe some sort of drabble bingo game? The idea being that each player would get a 5x5 bingo card filled with miscellaneous Pokemon fanfiction related prompts (or maybe everyone could have the same card for simplicity's sake), the goal being to get as many bingos as possible by writing drabbles or creating art sketches fulfilling the prompts.
Ooh, I love this idea. I think traditionally bingo challenges tend to run for a month? Five drabbles/art pieces might be a lot for people to do in two weeks. But we could maybe go down to like a 3x3 grid instead, hmmm...

I think a VC game like this would also be a great idea! I would need somebody else to run it, but if you're interested in hosting a VC game like this, please let me know!

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
I'm up for writing/drawing events (especially the latter for me right now lmao) and voice chats

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
One way or another, I'd like this to be something quick/easy to participate in, so writing would want to be drabble length or definitely no more than 1k words, and art would likewise want to be quick and unpolished (something like Draw 4 Expose, maybe?)--if anyone has thoughts on what they'd like to see from a writing/possibly art event, definitely let me know!
Sooooo idk how “quick and easy” this would be, but I had a wild and ridiculous idea for a fanfic crossover one-shot contest? Where authors could team up and write a short one-shot of their fics/characters mashed together 👀

Granted, again, that’s probably not something that could/would be quick and easy, but I also feel like it would be a wildly fun time, especially seeing what the outcomes would be, so I figured I’d just suggest it!

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Sooooo idk how “quick and easy” this would be, but I had a wild and ridiculous idea for a fanfic crossover one-shot contest? Where authors could team up and write a short one-shot of their fics/characters mashed together 👀

Granted, again, that’s probably not something that could/would be quick and easy, but I also feel like it would be a wildly fun time, especially seeing what the outcomes would be, so I figured I’d just suggest it!

Hm! I might have an idea of how this could work: the writers alternate paragraphs. Think of it like a blend between an Exquisite Corpse and an RP, but without the whole “hide text” thing.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle

I'd definitely be up for this!

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
Hm! I might have an idea of how this could work: the writers alternate paragraphs. Think of it like a blend between an Exquisite Corpse and an RP, but without the whole “hide text” thing.
Ohhhhhh yes! I vibe with this!

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
potentially a movie night*? I was thinking the Giratina/Shaymin movie for the brand, but we could also do something less memetic

*potentially multiple nights/not at night given that timezones exist

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan

Hmm, how about a once-a-month thing, over 12 months, to spread it out a bit? Where everyone who wants their characters to participate tosses their suggestion down, volunteer authors get together, hammer out a rough outline and a do and don'ts list, then the participating writers get paired and each author team takes a month to hammer out a section of the mother of all cross overs and it gets stitched together pre-new years or next anniversary as an overall tribute to the writing slant on the site?

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye

I haven't done anything RP related since high school, and Google is only giving me results for selling this... do we have an example of how this works somewhere?

Top Bottom