• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Sand Continent ~ Isle of Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“Heck yeah! Show that thing who’s boss!” cried out Petram cheerfully, clapping his stubby paws. He turned around and made his tails glow brightly, making sure to illuminate the area and see the progress.

“But, huh, don’t exaggerate! We don’t want whatever thing is inside to break, no? That’d be unfortunate.”

Last edited:

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"They are going to get us killed..." Puddle fizzed, it just didn't understand power junkies these days. It stretched out its body to a more cylindrical shape and sharply bent itself, making the sound of a glowstick snapping. Puddle, then, shook violently for a second, giving off a decent purple glow. "Just letting you all know that I am a blob of concentrated edginess, if there's a fight, I am probably entirely unable to help you."

She was shaking, but she kept her breath even. "And... thank you. I..." She looked like she had something to say, but hesitated until they were back with the others, where Cabot and Owen were drawing near one of the few things still intact.

"I suppose I've been distracted lately. I never realized how... competent you've all been lately. I've been falling behind..."

Maple could probably tell Puddle was looking at her, despite him not moving to face her. He didn't have a face to face her with, duh. "Don't sell yourself short, anyone could see you've been given the short end of the stick in a lot of this. As powerful as you and your team are, and yet you have to rely on us? Not to mention this Joule guy you're worried about, and how this world is at stake. I wouldn't blame you for being distracted." Puddle looked to Cabot and Owen again. "With this cast of misfits, it's hard not to get distracted..." For some reason, a feeling of longing rose inside of Puddle. No... nostalgia? Or regret? That might not have been it either...

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa kept close to Luz and tried to keep her head down as the party progressed. Starr had impressed on her the importance of not taking on every last thing that came up, but her head was still full as she glanced around, taking in everything. It meant little to her. If only she had luxray vision...

Luz smiled at her. "Y'know, if'n ya need a friendly ear–"

"I'm fine."

The zeraora familiar shrugged. "Well, alright, darlin'. Anyway, I been meanin' to tell ya, since you won't talk to me via telepathy or text, Maple's pretty broken up about Joule. She could use a sympathetic word from someone with a temperament a bit closer to hers, who ain't a shade'n all."

Brisa chewed her cheek. It was hard to tell whether she should tell Maple what she'd learnt from Karat, that the 'radiant component' had been stolen by Karat and Shield, that Joule could be safe in some unknown location. What if it made things worse? If it was false hope?

Luz patted her on the shoulder. "I'm gonna follow Cabot. You go with Maple. If'n anythin' happens, please willya keep yer mind open to telepathy?"

Brisa growled a noncommital answer and did as Luz suggested. Luz flashed her a thumbs-up as they went separate ways.

"I suppose I've been distracted lately. I never realized how... competent you've all been lately. I've been falling behind..."

Brisa bit her lip. Was now the time?

"Blade, if I may... You're in an unprecedented circumstance. As far's I can tell, you've been doin' no less than the best y'can. I still believe we'll put this world to rights."

The Cranidos took a step forward before slamming his tail as hard against the container as he could.

Luz folded her arms and watched happily as Cabot went to work. He sure could land a hit!

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Maple didn't have time to respond, though she did look a little heartened by the kind words of the others. It was small, but Millijoule saw the smile on her face.

And then, when Cabot crashed into the machine, Owen readied himself for whatever might come out. The first strike wasn't quite enough, but it did leave a noticeable dent. Progress.

The second strike, however, led to a breach--and then, before Cabot would have time to jump away, a huge plume of dense, concentrated Shadows enveloped him. Owen yelped and jumped away, too, but some of that corruption seeped into his scales, too. "Ungh--Cabot!" Owen shouted. Anybody nearby would have been affected, but Cabot had been in the center... "Focus!" Because he certainly had to.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Puddle seeped towards the closest corrupted member to him, being Owen, and engulfed him to sap the Shade from him. It would've felt like when little fishes nibble on your body, but his entire body. "I'm saving your butt again, huh?" Puddle chuckled, then let out a sigh. "...I'm more than happy to not mention this to anyone. Ever."

"We might wanna have the other familiars help the others that got corrupted. I'm kinda busy with the tiny dragon here."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Saltriv yelped as they saw the Shadows spill out of the canister. A shining glow enveloped them, and quickly split off into three bundles of light, which moved above Cabot, Owen, and Starr.

"Cabot! Owen! Starr! Hang on!" Saltriv shouted, as the bundles of light shone down upon the three, draining the Shadows away.

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz dove towards the plume of shadow, intent on pulling Cabot bodily clear of it.

"Woah there, let's get you right clear!" she called. Then, to Brisa, {Hey darlin', our thick-skulled pal just got hit by haywire shadow! Just lettin' ya know!}

Brisa felt the itch in her mind and heard Luz in her head.

"Aw, hell. Somethin' went wrong with Cabot's group," she told the rest of her party. "He may have been Shadowed. Could be we got a situation on our paws."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“Eep! The darkness is coming, aaa—” cried out Petram as the Shadows enveloped him… and slid harmlessly off of his body, “—ah? It didn’t do anything? Wow! I’m invincible!”

He giggled happily to himself, before noticing the Shadows enveloping Cabot. “Ah! Oh no!” Without hesitation, he charged at the Shadows and swiped at them, while his tails flared up with a reddish hue. “Hey! Let go of my friend, fiends! The Invincible Petram is ordering you!!”

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
The container burst open and the shadows poured out. Starr had barely even registered what she was looking at before the cloud of darkness had poured over Cabot.

Shit. Not again.

"Cabot!" Starr yelled, reaching out through dark mist spilling out around him. Dammit, this was bad, she couldn't afford to expose herself to that stuff too, not after seeing what it did last time. The team was too small, there wouldn't be enough firepower to contain both of them, fuck--

"Cabot! Owen! Starr! Hang on!" Saltriv shouted, as the bundles of light shone down upon the three, draining the Shadows away.
A piercing ray of sunlight swept the dark fog back from her. Starr blinked for a second, realizing what had just happened, then glanced back at Cabot, who'd gotten a way worse blast of the stuff.

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
"Agh!"

Cabot reflexively stumbled back as the shadowy mist blew into his face and enveloped him. He tried to cover his face to shield himself, but it was already too late, his scales turning a dark gray while his head and back went from blue to indigo... just like they had in Shayim Village.

The Cranidos crouched down and clutched his head as he did his best to suppress the dark thoughts that began to form in his mind. Owen was right, he just had to focus... He wasn't alone, he was here with friends. Saltriv, Luz, and Starr called out to him because they cared about him, just like Petram was trying to blow away the mist around him for that same reason.

"Cabot, I'm here for you!"

The Cranidos paused as he felt Pleo rush in and embrace him, the young Lugia having decided to follow Puddle's example. Cabot hugged Pleo back and buried his face inside his plumes. For a moment he just breathed in and out rapidly, trying his best to calm down, until eventually his breathing slowed down and he appeared more relaxed.

"I'm okay..." he said, before slowly letting Pleo go. "I'm..."

Cabot stood up and looked at his teammates with piercing yellow eyes. Despite his transformation he appeared to be in control of himself, and didn't show any signs of intending to attack anyone.

"I'm fine."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Owen was suffering a similar fate, keeping in control even as Wishkeeper, looking agitated and protective, loomed over Owen's smaller form. Wishkeeper seemed to be snarling at anybody who tried to get close to Owen, refusing to allow anybody to hurt him, but Owen held Wishkeeper by the hand when they touched his shoulders. "It's alright," he said gently.

Maple was on guard, but for once did not draw her Radiant blade. "...Are you well?" she asked.

Owen held Wishkeeper's hand a little tighter. He was inconsolable, gesturing to all of them and saying things that only Owen could hear. But the Charmeleon only shook his head. Finally, the great Charizard relented, evaporating.

"I think we'll be fine... It was just a sudden burst."

"Don't scare me like that!" Cal said, punching him in the arm. Her fist splashed against his bicep.

"Sorry," Owen said with a little smile, rubbing the top of the amorphous Charmander's head. "But I think we figured out what that was. It's a container for Shadows. There might be one for Radiance on the other side or something, too. Let's, uh, not blow that one up..."

"We can take it to Chip," Maple said. "He's been looking for a 'live' container to see how it operates."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr was frozen, staring transfixed at the indigo Cranidos, who looked back at everyone with golden, glowing eyes that were both relieved and... reassuring. It really was him. He'd managed to control it. Just like Owen.

"Holy shit. Good thing you're both okay, yeah."

If she'd been the one to break that container, would she have been able to handle it? Owen and Cabot had already been shadowed. They'd been forced to learn how to deal with it. Starr had managed to avoid it this long. What if--

Nope, definitely not thinking about that now.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Damnit. Brisa wasn't in time to help. But...

"Y'all are safe?" she asked, hesitant. It sure seemed like there was no battle, no crisis to fix. Just... the ominous concern of looking at a shadowed teammate.

"This is all so excitin'," said Luz, beaming. "I ain't seen a shadowed mon yet! It's real interestin', fer sure!"

"Luz. Hush."

The shade smiled to herself, and stopped talking. Hopefully everything really was fine.

Brisa cleared her throat. "So, we gonna get that radiance box and the crystal armour back home? I was just thinkin'... Karat mentioned he and Shield stole a 'radiant component' from this base. Could be he only meant the counterpart to this box of shadows. Could be he meant what was fillin' it up..."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"It doesn't look like the battery can refill itself on its own," Owen said. "So Giovanni might have taken the Shadow... source and took it somewhere else. I bet the Radiant source is missing, so maybe now he can only make Shadow Pokemon again, or he can only work with what he has so far?"

"Either way, we should gather what we can," Maple said, approaching the battery with caution. "And after that, we--"

And then, her badge buzzed. She stopped whatever she was doing to check it, then set the badge on speaker. "Bean?"

"You guys were right," Bean said between pants. "I found them. Team Drumstick and--I think it was some kind of... Radiant Matter."

"What?" Maple asked. "Explain."

"From what Team Gyro said about how Dark Matter looked, there was another one just like him. Metallic. Golden. They were guarding it. It's in the abandoned lab after all! The human one! I can't believe we didn't see it until now. It wasn't there before..."

Maple's badge buzzed again. "Thank you, Bean. We'll try to meet with them soon. I need to take another call. Buffet, is something--"

"Giovanni is heading to the abandoned human lab. Did Chip tell you? We need to hurry!"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa looked to Starr. Another unplanned combat with Giovanni and his minions... How would she take that?

"Luz, Cabot's right. Send word."

She went to Starr's side and stayed there, unsure if there was anything to say that would matter so much as the physical reminder, I'm with you.

[Zest > Team Spectrum]: @EVERYONE HEY Y'ALL GET URSELVES TO THE GUILD AND READY FOR COMBAT RIGHT NOW

[Zest > Team Spectrum]: @EVERYONE THIS AIN'T A DRILL!!!!! 🙀 😾

There. Perfect. Luz was the best at texting, truly.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
"Giovanni is heading to the abandoned human lab. Did Chip tell you? We need to hurry!"
Starr stood tense. Motionless, aside from the occasional tail twitch.

Another sudden conflict with Giovanni. A chance to make him regret thinking he could look down on all of them like they were nothing. She should have been jumping at the chance. And yet...

It wouldn't be like last time. It wouldn't.

Starr glanced briefly at Brisa, standing by her side. Then back at Maple's portal.

"Let's go."

<><><><><>​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom