• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[Saltriv] Overcast Village

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
True to its name, the skies were a deep, dark color. The smells were familiar and yet distant; it had been more than half a year since Saltriv had set foot in Overcast Village. That was where they were now, right?

But there was something wrong. Where were all the Pokemon? There were buildings and stalls and facilities and yet not a living soul remained. Thunder boomed from far away and the clouds distantly flashed red. It was too dark to see more than a few buildings forward...

There wasn't anything to go toward. Only the darkness of an empty town.

All but a red flame far ahead... Who was that?

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
What...happened? One moment, they're falling through the storm, the next...they're back home? What's going on?!

Something wasn't right, though. The streets were completely barren, and nobody could be seen in any of the stalls or buildings. Even at night, there was usually at least a couple ghost-types about.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" they called out to the empty village. "Mom? Dad? Burhalla? Gen? It's me, Saltriv!"

Seeing the red flame in the distance, they began trotting towards it.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Empty, empty, empty, empty, empty...

Nobody. There was nobody in any of the buildings, and yet it felt like there used to be. Perhaps recently. Perhaps even a day ago, this town could have been bustling with life.

"You were too late, Saltriv..."

The red flame came closer. Burhalla... He had a sick, hopeless smile on his face.

"They're all gone. All because you couldn't save them. All because... you couldn't keep it together."

It's just Burhalla.
Burhalla: 1,000

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Burhalla!" Saltriv yelled, extending their vines for a hug, only to stop as Burhalla continued speaking.

Too late? Because they couldn't keep it together...

"W-what do you mean?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Burhalla stepped away from Saltriv, out of their range for even a simple touch. His red flame crackled angrily. "Whenwas the last time you truly saved anyone? And yet, when was the last time you had to be saved? All those times... over and over and over... I had to keep you from going over the edge. All those Shadows... Ever wonder why you didn't lose yourself? Because of me. Because I was there. And the moment... I turned my back..." He gestured to the empty town, then pointed at Saltriv.

Darkness flickered beneath Saltriv. Their Shadows increased by 10!

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I...I helped save Flapple! And Sword! And...and..." they trailed off, as their shadows surged.

No! No! They had to suppress the shadows. They focused, trying to suppress them.

Saltriv Focused! Their Shadows returned to 0!

"T-this can't be real! Tapu Fini would protect the village from anything like this happening...right? Come on, let's go see her!" they said, beginning to trot towards the Top Plaza.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"And there you go again... Always relying on someone else." Burhalla snarled, taking a step forward. A trail of darkness flowed from his claws, across the ground, and then beneath Saltriv. "Tapu Fini? Who else are you going to ask for help?"

Whips of darkness emerged and ensnared Saltriv in an instant, tugging them toward the ground with unceremonious force.

Burhalla used Shadow Hold on Saltriv! Saltriv became Trapped!

"There is nobody left."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"S-surely there has to be someone left! I'll prove it!" Saltriv said.

Saltriv unleashed! Anyone they know will have a line of light connecting them to Saltriv!

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Trails of light drifted off of Saltriv's body in seemingly random directions, looking purposeful at first. But then, mere seconds later, they strayed, adrift like seaweed, and fizzled away. If there was a connection--and there possibly wasn't--then it was lost instantly. There was only one string left, and it connected to Burhalla and Burhalla alone.

Burhalla seemed disappointed. For a Fire, he always had a cool head--at least, compared to the rest of his team. But his frown, even with his red eyes, showed something more of sadness and despair than true hostility. "Your first reflex is to go get others to help," he stated. "That's it. That's why you panicked in the Moonlit Forest. That's why your powers keep hurting you. Have you ever... stuck up for yourself? Stood on your own? Or do you just wait for someone to rescue you again, like what happened... when you went missing?"

He pointed at Saltriv again. The shadows under them got darker.

Saltriv's Shadows increased by 20, for a total of 50!

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I...you know I don't remember what happened when I went missing," Saltriv said, frowning. "You can't blame me for that."

Saltriv focused out of their Unleashed! Their shadows returned to 30!

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I know as much as you do," Burhalla said. "I came from your memories. Don't you remember?"

But Burhalla didn't do anything just yet. He watched Saltriv closely, red flame gently shrinking in size.

"Well?" Burhalla said. "What are you going to do? Sit there and wait? You know this village isn't real. That I'm only barely real. And yet all these Shadows... and you are just sitting there."

Burhalla is preparing more Shadows...

"But that's your element, isn't it?" Burhalla growled. "I've had to siphon away so much of it. Look at all I've gathered. What happens when I stop?"

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I...I can manage. See? Look!" Saltriv said, swaying their leaf to the side as a glowing ball of light appeared above themselves, shining down on themselves, and Burhalla, brightening the empty village just a bit.

Saltriv used Shining Sunbeams on themselves and Burhalla! They both gained sunny weather, and both lost 10 shadow corruption! Saltriv's shadows were reduced to 20! Saltriv's radiance rose to 40!

"But also..." Saltriv looked down, frowning. "I know. I've been relying on you a lot. And...it'd be a lie to say that I could have done this all on my own. I'm sorry, Burhalla. You've helped me so much...I'd be lost without you. I couldn't have dome this without you. I should have done more for you in return."

They extended their vines towards their best friend, stopping just short of him, giving him a hopeful smile.

"You're real, Burhalla. I promise."

Saltriv is offering a hug...

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
The Shining Sunbeams cut through the shadows, removing the binds that kept Saltriv on the ground. Burhalla winced and took a step back when they did, a tinge of darkness falling away from his form.

"And what are you going to do... once I'm left behind?" Burhalla said. "I'll be just fine on my own, but what about you?! What about where you're going? Over there... you can hardly save anyone... let alone yourself! How can I know... that you won't be better off here?! Show me! Show me you can stand on your own!"

The Shadows became flames! Burhalla conjured a pillar of fire from below!
The Fire Pledge dealt 295 damage to Saltriv!
Burhalla's attack power is increasing!

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I've saved people! I helped save Flapple!" they shouted, before letting out a yelp as the flames flared up.

"I can protect myself! I'm fine on my own! I'm not Gen!" they yelled, before a shining barrier appeared around them.

Saltriv used Protect for a single barrier!

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"You saved Flapple with the others," Burhalla said. "How can I trust that you'd protect yourself... When have you been on your own?! When were you fine?" Burhalla stomped forward, fists shaking. "Don't lie to me. You know I hate that. What would happen... if one of your friends became possessed by Shadows?" Burhalla snarled. "If your best friend started to attack you, and you were alone, with nothing else? What would you do?! Would you just sit there? Sit there and die?!"

Burhalla used Fire Pledge! The barrier deflected it!
Burhalla is preparing more Shadows...

"Why do I have to be the Shade that has to worry about my host?!"

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I've been alone in the Voidlands when I was ten! When Dark Matter attacked the whole planet" Saltriv shouted! "I told you, l can protect myself!"

Then, Saltriv realized something. The shadows burning away from.Burhalla's form, when they used Shining Sunbeams...

Burhalla's question wasn't a hypothetical. It was a cry for help.

They stepped forward, towards Burhalla, a determined expression on their face. They extended their vines again, stopping just short of their best friend.

"Burhalla! I...you're right. I can't do this alone. But...I can see you're struggling, too."

They took another step.

"What you're saying...it's exactly what's happening right now. And...I now know the answer. I'd help my best friend! I'd save you! I WILL save you!"

Another step. A soothing aroma eminated from their petals.

"Please, Burhalla! I'm here for you, just like you were for me!"

Saltriv called out to Burhalla! They're determined for this to not be a lie!

Last edited:

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
He stared, incredulous at first, as he stepped toward Saltriv. He was equally determined. There was a light in those eyes, but he wasn't satisfied yet. But Saltriv had gotten somewhere, enough that he humored them, enough that he answered the call.

"And what will you do," he said, "if you're trapped in a situation like this? Where they're... attacking you... where they won't stop? What then? When I watch you go back to your world... I don't want to do it knowing you'll fall to the same Shadows that took you. I can't protect you... the way the real one can. And he might not always be there, either. What then?"

Burhalla awaited an answer...

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Then...I'll use an item. Or I'll run away. Or...if I need to, I'll fight back," Saltriv said, taking another step forward.

"But...no matter what, I know, I'll pull through. Even...if I have to use the Shadows."

Another step.

"Burhalla...I promise you. I'll live."

Another step.

"But you have to promise me something, too."

Another step.

"Promise me, promise me you'll pull through, too! You're stronger than this! You can fight the Shadows! You can free yourself! I believe in you!"

They took another step, and another, and then another, running towards Burhalla, wrapping their vines around him in a hug.

"Please, Burhalla! For Gen, for your sister, for that exploration team, for me! Break free! I know you can!"

Saltriv called out to Burhalla, along with a hug!

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
This time, Burhalla didn't resist. But he was stiff, fist clenched, as he sighed. "Saltriv..." He shook his head. "They... aren't here for me. This village... is my world. There isn't anybody from Overcast Village for me... and there never will be. I'm not... Burhalla. I'm not the same Burhalla. All of my memories, from you, about my world... don't mean anything here."

He pushed Saltriv away, shaking his head. His core... looked half-gone.

"So that's something for you to do. And I guess... I'm out of time to convince you. Hopefully... you can do that. I hope what you said... is enough."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Do you really believe that?!" Saltriv yelled. "This isn't going to be a goodbye! Not a forever one! There's that void, and the place with the campfire! Both places where I've met so many people from other worlds! And I'm sure you can go there, too! We'll meet again! We'll always be friends! Just because you're not the Burhalla from my world, doesn't mean you're not my friend!"

They took a step back towards Burhalla, and their eyes widened in horror, as they saw what remained of Burhalla's core.

No. No no no no no!

NO!

They won't let Burhalla die! Not after everything!

"I can manage without you! I promise! But that doesn't mean I want you to go!" Saltriv said, desperation evident on their face.

"Please! Pull through! You can do this!" they urged, as a shadowy tendril erupted from them...and fully under Saltriv's control, embraced Burhalla.

Saltriv used Umbral Urging on Burhalla!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom