• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Saddest Scenes That You've Written?

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
I'm sure many of us written at least one somber scene before.

One of the biggest revisions I've made is making Valen and Hilda's relationship have more depth, so Chapter 15 has a different ending that took cues from how the BW chapters of Adventures ended. Basically, Hilda can't bottle up how heartbroken she is when remembering Valen from back then and seeing what he's become. Here's part of it:

Hilda still remembers the day they met. She'll never forget that sunny day. At age fifteen, she was already planning events, and she'd become a manager and talent agent with a solid reputation. They called her a prodigy of Unova’s entertainment industry. With help from Elesa, she managed to start up BW Agency, which earned itself a solid reputation. That's how she came to know Valen.

One day, a boy around her age strode into her office in Nimbasa City, wearing a black tuxedo and bowler hat. She remembers herself being taken by this boy. He looked really good rocking that Gucci tux. He introduced himself as Valen. The reason why he came would later culminate in the past persona that she's a huge fan of, and his fame would help to propel her own career. She recalls that Valen said that several people recommended Hilda White to him. She smirked, asking if he's sure about this. She warned him that she’s a hard-ass, giving him a friendly wink. Valen countered by telling her that “if your skills are on par with how beautiful you are, then you're definitely the best person for the job.” This sent her over the moon, while Valen simply closed his eyes and smirked. She immediately agreed to have him as a client. She wasn't going to let this gentleman get away, plus she loved his idea. He wanted to combine being a movie star with being a Pokémon Trainer. That's how The Black Reaper was born. Valen supported her with all the events she planned. He’d promote the events, as well as BW Agency, via his past persona.

Hilda comes to a halt, staring blankly at the sidewalk with a pained expression on her face. “So much agony....so much pain....I hate seeing him like this.” As she compares the Valen that she knew with the Valen she saw today, she shuts her eyes. “Please...please don't go....please don't leave me.” She clenches her teeth as tears begin to stream down her face. “...The real you....come back, Val-Val.” She drops to her knees, feeling too weak to stand. “Please come back! Please come back! PLEASE COME BACK! VAL-VAL!” Hilda wails towards the sky, accidentally startling a flock of Taillow and Swellow perched atop a nearby rooftop.

Last edited:

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Hmm, while I have some stuff in my old for my most recent I'd say I have a tie for my work "Two paths"

In the first scene, Pallet's under the effects of a mysterious psychic attack and Ash managed to get home and he's ripping it apart looking for his mother... the results are not what he expected

Ash scanned fridge and wall besides… maybe a note, some frenzied thought murmured, she’d left him a note. Maybe it fell. The earth’d shaken before Jessie James and Meowth had attacked… But nothing was on the floor even after he shoved at chairs and scrambled around the living room pushing at furniture.

And Pikachu hopped off, calling Ash from the ajar door he’d pointedly not been looking at. The side door leading out to the garden had a swirl of violet about its edges. It was familiar, that light, telling a tale he didn’t want to know the ending too.

He knew this was going to end badly, and still, all unwilling, one foot slid in front of the other until he was at the door frame looking into their yard. Halfway between the shed and in she’d been struck. Not a blow that hurt, there was a lean comfort in knowing the paralysis didn't hurt. She was smiling, even, smiling now at some idle thought from nearly an hour ago. Frozen in one moment before a laugh perahps.

The violet flames wrapped around her burned without singeing, blurring her edges. The psychic attack turned the white of her gardening clothes lavender at the edges, and burned near as bright as the group of people he’d seen in the shop.

That was fitting, her brightness near star-like on the earth yet not ever hurting a thing.

His thoughts felt like strangers in his head-

How dare he expect this to be different, that it'd be different for her.

She was home, safe.

Not safe, trapped in a burning without fire, in a place where time was still.

-and the world blurred, and he scrubbed madly at his eyes, sniffling, softly, legs trembling as realization set in. This was it, this was her, and he’d been… not too late, just not there. And somehow spared and she hadn't been...

And he whispered. “Hi Mom, I’m home.”

Then his legs buckled and he sunk to the earth before her and cried.

The other scene deals with the mental fall out of (a hypothetical) Silver's life being overlapped with Ash's and Ash trying to figure out who he is in a very unsupportive environment, he's finally talking to Gio who is wrestling with his own version of those false lives. Neither one of them are anywhere near ok in the head.

There was silence, as Ash considered Rocket, then floor, then his shoes. Tapping his fingers against his knees, thinking and thinking and done, for now, he met Leonardo’s gaze. “What I want," The boy whispered, courage gathered it seemed. "Is a chance to… to go forward, knowing the past, as much as I’m allowed. Whatever you.. and Mom… are willing to share. Because… I think I’m part of both of you, and I want to know…” With a huff the boy's eyes canted to look outside, seeing nothing at all more than likely. “More selfishly… “ Ash steeled himself met Leo’s gaze head-on. “More selfishly… I think One-fifty-one did things in my head. And I need to know where those things stop, and where I start, and I can’t say I’m… even me anymore, with that much rattling round in my head. Knowing everything from before might help me sort some of it out.” A swollow, then. “I was Silver, ten times, not Silver up to thirteen ten times, I grew up, like all the way up, and was… I did bad things. And if you add that up I was Silver longer than I’ve been Ash. Longer than Oak and you’ve been alive added together and everything… I’m not…” Hands clenched, scrunching leggings, the boy took one deep breath, then another.

“I know I should say yes, you can call me that. Because I know saying anything else would hurt you. And I can’t. And I think that makes me a bad person. And I know I should call you Dad, because you preferred that in private, that Father was the term used in front of Yakuza and lesser outsiders, and again, I can’t… Because you aren’t. But you were, and weren’t well bad at it even if you were a bad person…. And I don’t know what to do with that!” There was hysteria, slowly building, slowly breaking the boy’s voice to fragments, and making the child shake. “All I know is I need something! Something to do, so I help Oak, because Oak got hurt from this too. And I need something to look forward to, so I plan my next journey because it’s something Silver never did and something I don’t even know if I did it right and…”

And the boy set his head in his hands, mouthing a groaned “Oh hell” while he curled into himself and finally broke.

Top Bottom