• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Running gags

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
Do you ever include any running gags in your work? Here‘s one of mine.

”Kyaaaaaaa, my Valey’s the sweetest! I’m soooo lucky!” Rosa gushes with her eyes closed. Once again, Rosa’s marriage fantasies come back. Rosa envisions tuxedo wearing Valen proposing to her with an even rarer piece of Pokémon memorabilia that’s related to his past persona: a twenty four carrot gold ring that has a Salamence engraved within the ruby in the middle of it. Rosa squeals loudly, jumping up and down as she imagines an actual wedding where both of them say “I do” to each other, kissing very shortly afterwards.

Last edited:

Bluwiikoon

waow!
Pronouns
He/him
Partners
  1. nosepass-bluwiikoon
For pcb0000, it's the mildest of non-swear cuss words (like st*pid) being absolutely obscene :quag:

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
For pcb0000, it's the mildest of non-swear cuss words (like st*pid) being absolutely obscene :quag:
Speaking of obscene, the main OC has a dirty sense of humor. Observe as this wholesome get wrecked by his dirty mind.

“Besides, I want to keep focusing my attention on being the sister you never had," Melanie gently states. "Even when you vanished, you were still the brother that I never had."

“How can you be my sister and a fangirl at the same time?” Valen questions, sporting an amused smirk.

“You brought the fangirls upon yourself, big guy," Melanie teases. "Just because I have a sisterly love for you doesn't mean I can't be one of The Black Reaper's fangirls."

Valen lets out a mischievous laugh, his mouth having curved into a devious grin. "Oh, I'm gonna have a lotta fun with this."

Melanie's already realized that Valen's referring to his dirty sense of humor. "V-Valen, g-get your mind out of the gutter!"

Valen boisterously chortles, stating, “You left yourself wide open for an incest joke, and you won’t even know when I’ll drop one on you! Mom will be so proud of me! Maybe I’ll finally get to own the Shelby Cobra!” Valen sports a cocky smirk, imaging himself looking cool driving around in the black, two-seater roadster that he really wants.

“Ah, I f-forgot that you got your dirty sense of humor from your mom!” Melanie shrieks as Valen continues to chortle. “T-That’s never made any sense to me!”

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Bacon—namely, Neo and Novo’s obsession with it—is definitely a running gag in OSAS. I really just meant for it to be a lighthearted little gag that popped up in the first few chapters, but now it’s achieved meme status so there’s no going back. 😂

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
Bacon—namely, Neo and Novo’s obsession with it—is definitely a running gag in OSAS. I really just meant for it to be a lighthearted little gag that popped up in the first few chapters, but now it’s achieved meme status so there’s no going back. 😂
Wes can never catch a break in OSAS 😭😂

It’s fun putting the aloof “bad” boy into situations that shouldn’t be a big deal.

With that said, I present to everybody the running gag that I like the most: Valen dealing with fangirls on a daily basis, despite ditching his past persona five years ago.

Now that Rosa has reverted back to her usual self, Melanie’s decided to change the topic. Melanie’s mouth curves into a wide grin, her eyes sparkling as her inner fangirl fully takes over. “As The Black Reaper, he was soooo badass and alluring! Kyaaaaaa!”

Rosa closes her eyes and places her hands on her cheeks, gushing, “Oh my gooooosh, you should have seen Valen on the day he approached me, and that was years before I knew he was The Black Reaper! I still can’t believe my sweetie’s The Black Reaper! Kyaaaaaaa!”

“Can you imagine if he actually came as The Black Reaper when hanging out with any of us?!” A gushing Hilda envisions Valen as The Black Reaper picking her up on his motorcycle.

“Imagine if he said his cool line in front of all four of us!” Leaf excitedly chimes in.

“I can’t believe that somebody so cool is my childhood friend!” Melanie squeals.

Last edited:

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
I've two:

In the AU fic series "cut and run" I make the Team Rocket Trio attempt to steal Pikachu as a running gag even though Ash isn't the focus of the story until very late in.

Ash wryly treats the abduction attempt as just another day (Sorry I was late, ran into them again" sort of reaction), and it gets more and more ridiculous as it goes on. First round he's not even present, they plow in on Prof Oak's and Oak handles it in the back story. Second round they get blasted off taking a chunk of the roof on their way out and their impact site becomes a directional landmark for those poking around a section of Oak's reserve. In the near end story, while reviewing footage of the various League challenges, Giovanni and Oak get a viewing of the many many failed heists that occur in the plot via various security cameras and both decide to act un-adult and go drinking after, to cope with the sheer amount of stupid they had to watch. Oak later picks the topic up as a means to needle the retired head of team rocket. I wind the string of JJandM incidents down with a classic pit trap that turns into disaster dominoes ending with Gio, their Boss, at the bottom of the pit with Ash and Pika. The Rocket trio, oblivious, boast how they've got the brat and his rat now and they're getting promoted, surely, while Gio listens on in a mix of utter disbelief and disgust, because it's been that type of day for the man, and he's just done.

In another story Transversal, I have the idea that the Legends are not perfect, or horribly competent, and were rushed in making an alternate universe for the cast to transverse. It's slapdash at best, based off of how they assume humans work, and since they don't have a clue it becomes a joke in the Giovanni chapters for him to pick at small, petty things as he's left the "real world" to be thrust into a palce that runs on video game logic. His present obsession is fences. Legends do not grasp property lines, or where fences really go, so he's walking along fields in the middle of a road that separates two town in Alola and bitterly commenting on how fences do not go there, that the ones in town are supposed to have gates (and there's people trapped in their bonds becasue of it), and that they should NOT open up to allow someone walking besides them to fall over cliffs to rocky beaches below...

Top Bottom