• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His

Rosa's Renaissance

Rated: T
Genres: Fluff, Slice of Life, Romance, Friendship and Humor
Hanging out with her boyfriend and a best friend takes an interesting turn for Rosa. Hilda, founder and president of the BW Agency, has gotten Rosa a painting gig, the patron being none other than Hilda herself. She may get nervous, Rosa won't pass up her first big commission within the Calvana region.

I'm mainly trying to have fun, so please try to be light on crit. Prose feedback would be the main thing I'm looking for, but issues like wording, spelling and grammar are fine to point out too. This community helped me to become a better writer overall, but I have to take my own well-being into account too.
This fic ties into my longer fic, Identity, but I'm trying to give strong standalone power to the best of my ability. I don't think it's fair to assume that everybody who reads this is already familiar with Identity or its characters.

No nicknames for the Pokemon here, since Identity doesn't have any. But they definitely are something :P

It's set in the game universe, but it takes a number of cues from the anime.

There may be revisions and there will be additions, depending on what I need to fix or if I have any ideas to add. But the main premise will remain the same. Additions will usually be extra dialogue and details.

Chapter 1: Commission

Whether it's a dimly lit depiction of Kyogre that emphasizes its raw power or a vivid portrayal of a majestic landscape within Unova, the art of the Pokémon world has served as the biggest connector since the dawn of humanity, long before Pokémon laid eyes upon the first example of human civilization. Art transcends time itself, it has showcased the relationships between people and Pokémon. It has stirred the imagination with depictions of legendary and mythical Pokémon, the constructor of space and the architect of time being among its most frequent subjects.

Constructing works that leave those who view it in awe is a dream among numerous individuals. One popular trainer wishes for her name to be listed among the greatest artists of all time. That's why she now lives in Angel City, the crown jewel of the enormous Calvana region. It's a city that attracts trainers, coordinators, painters, musicians, and others who dream of stardom. Fittingly, Kalosians founded what would became Angel City during the Kalosian Renaissance, a slice of the pie called the Northern Renaissance.

A vivacious young woman dallying through a crowd of people and Pokémon, the wind making her long bangs use Teeter Dance. Her Serperior slithers to her left, the serpentine giving her trainer an amused gaze.

As the repetition of beeps and revs from the roads intertwining with the sea of chatter and laughter from the sidewalk, the young woman comes to a sudden halt, her eyes having captured a glimpse of a large canvas that's proudly displayed within a window display. She recognizes this shop as the place her boyfriend usually buys his art prints from.

She turns her head slowly until her eyes fixate on the rough rocky landscape depicted within it. "Serperior, is it okay if I check this out?" Upon seeing her Pokémon nod, she weaves around the crowd as she approaches for a better look at the print, her Pokémon slithering behind her. For her, there's no mistaking what painting this is and who painted it. "The Ultimate Weapon by Raphael Bonfrancischi da Urbinoroti."

Unless one's been living under a Boldore, then they more than likely know this tale. It's been turned into documentaries, historical fiction, plays, films, painting, and sculpture. She places her right thumb and index finger on her chin, remembering when she first read the book 977 BCE. Steven Stone stated that the firing of the weapon was the catalyst of The Darkest Day, and both were likely catalysts of the near collapse of civilization itself. This sequence of misfortune hit its peak in 977 BCE.

Rosa's eyes fixate on the gigantic flower-shaped weapon. The crystalline weapon protrudes into the ominous blood red sky, a bright white beam of energy seemingly piercing the sky into two. The rocky terrain below it is desolate, as if everything was obliterated in an instant. Xerneas is one of only two living being in sight, the majestic gazelle's head bowed down. Its teary eyes stare at the barren wasteland of what was once a lush area. All that remains are tiny splotches of foliage and the decaying remains of trees that once stood proudly. Yveltal flies overheard, its eyes narrowed and its mouth slightly gaping open. It too appears shocked by the carnage that occurred here. You know you've done something really bad when even Yveltal can't believe what happened, much less looking horrified.

She narrows her eyes, feeling a surge of determination flowing through her. One day, her own paintings will be proudly displayed alongside a master of the Ragulian Renaissance. She'll keep charging ahead to ensure it happens. She looks back at her Serperior, exchanging a confident smile with her. Her mouth falls open upon noticing that a trio of fans have spotted her, but are waiting for her to finish. "I'll be with you shortly, kay?" She gives them a thumbs up and a wink, then returns to eyeing the additional prints on display.

Rosa eyes her reflection, folding her her arms and tilts her head back. She looks too good in this top and in her black leggings. She'd gawk at herself more, but there's a time and a place for everything. Unless your name's Rui—Rui rode her bike indoors to troll Professor Oak during her Kanto trip.

As Serperior decides to gawk at herself, Rosa glances behind her, a grin appearing on her face when she sees that a number of additional fans have also spotted her. She fully turns her body to face her fans, feeling that they've waited long enough. "Hiiiiiii everybody!" She sticks her right index and ring fingers up. "Wherever Rosa goes, smiles follow!"

The fans run towards Rosa, who pulls out her cell phone. The bright light of the camera flashes several times, her and her fans standing in various poses. Her interactions with her fans catches the attention of an amused young man. He relaxes on a wooden park bench, a book firmly planted in his hands. His Gardevoir folds her arms, a lopsided grin dancing across her face.

"Heh, no matter what she goes, she livens up the place." He peeks over his book, his dark blue eyes narrowly missing meeting Rosa's eyes. "Rosa, your number one fanboy is over here." He faintly laughs. "Did you get distracted by the heat you always emit?"

This voice rings through Rosa's ears. She happily gasps, twirling to face him and his Gardevoir. "Hiiiiii, Valen!" She waves at them as fast as she can move her right hand. "We ran into each other by chance yet again!" She giggles at his slightly slicked black hair and his black Team Skull leather jacket. Leave it to this silly boy to try and be both dashing and a bad boy at the same time.

"Rosa, we agreed to meet up for lunch." She's a silly one, but he's got no room to talk. "I already ordered the lunch," he informs. "That's why I came early."

"That's kay!" Rosa watches her Serperior slither in front of Rosa, greeting Gardevoir with a pleasant cry.

"Heeeey, I'm here too!" A dark brown-haired woman calls out. She runs towards them her Umbreon joining Serperior and Gardevoir.

Valen and Rosa turn their bodies in her direction. Her cheery nature, plus her favorite clothing combination of black waistcoat and denim shorts, are all too familiar to them. Can't forget about the white top and the black ankle boots either. Make way for Expert Trainer Hilda,

As he watches Rosa and Hilda exchange a hug and a high five, he realizes that the fans have noted his presence too. Cousin Jacques makes it a quartet, and Melanie will make it a quintet one day.

"Thank you!" Hilda's grin lights up her fa. "Rosa told me you already ordered lunch!"

Valen gives his fresh-faced friend and girlfriend a thumbs up. "Let's go pick it up." He closes his book, holding it under his right arm.

"Although, I kinda feel bad about not chipping in." Hilda sheepishly grins, scratching the back of her head. "Is there a book that you want that I can get you?"

"I'd like to chip in for something too." Rosa clasps her hands behind her back. "Can we please help you out with something?"

"...I should've expected this from you two." He rubs his forehead, briefly closing his eyes. "I plan to pick up some art pieces."

"We'll chip in for that," Rosa and Hilda respond. "We'll get the lunch and set it up on the table." They see that their Serperior and Umbreon are proudly smiling at them.

"Sure about this?"

"We're sure." Rosa gestures for Valen to hand her the book, pointing to her pink Wallace Kors purse. "I'll keep it in here so it's easier for you to carry them."

Valen nods, handing her the book. "Thanks."

"Anytime, sweetie." She unzips her purse, carefully placing the small book inside.

Crazy wholesome minds, he muses while laughing with his Gardevoir. When someone tries to be wholesome, they'll hit em with a Hyper Beam of wholesomeness in return if they let them. His mind ventures into thinking about how much of a boss Rosa is at art history. He can't say the same thing about himself and painting a piece, but everybody's got their strengths and weaknesses.

Rosa and Hilda hum as they place place food on the wooden picnic table, while Valen makes sure that the art prints are away from the food. There's pizza slices, breadsticks, stuffed cheesy bread, cinnamon rolls, and a trio of colas. Their teams have gotten their own food too, and have already began chowing down.

The with the carefully protected art prints catch Rosa's attention, her eyes slightly widening over smaller print of the the painting she saw in that window display. Knowing him, there's at least three or four prints of Raphael paintings in there.

"That pizza place is on the same street where I get my art prints from." Valen shrugs, sporting a slightly sheepish smile. "Why not pick up something I had reserved in advance, you know?"

"That's alright!" Hilda cheers, placing her right hand over her mouth. "I love seeing people being passionate!"

Valen, Rosa, and Hilda take seats at the table, with Valen double checking if the paintings are kept away from the food. As the trio take a plate each, plus one of each food item, Valen notices his favorite kooks are now eyeing a print of his favorite depiction of Eevee and its evolutions within classical art.

"Adalbert Dürer's version of Adoration of the Eevee from 1505 is still my favorite." Valen takes a bite from his slice. "How can you not love those facial expressions?" He takes a few sips of his cola.

Rosa decides to study the painting, remarking, "I remember when I saw the original piece with my grandpa." As she chows down on her slice, she recalls that grandpa never takes a trip to the Östria region without visiting the original work's home. The Muhr Museum in Vinena City is regarded as one of the world's top museums, and she agrees with that.

Within the center of the painting is a pack of about two dozens cheerful Eevee, plus a lone smug Eevee, surrounding the seven Eeveelutions. Vaporeon and Sylveon have their heads titled back, smugly smirking with their eyes closed. Jolteon looks like it doesn't give a flying Feebas and just wants to eat the fruits within the baskets, while Flareon's grinning mouth makes it look like it's laughing. Leafeon and Glaceon look like they're flipping imaginary long hair backwards. In-between them is a trotting Umbreon and Espeon with confident smiles on their faces.

Having overheard the humans, Hilda's Umbreon sneaks towards the table. She glances towards Valen's Luxray, then glances back at the Umbreon depicted in the painting. Umbreon stands upright and tilts her head backwards, hoping to look just as fabulous for her crush.

Umbreon's jaw drops when she realizes that Luxray's too busy staring at a picture of cheese puffs within a human shopping catalog. Her head droops as she lets out a sigh. She's too nervous to ask Luxray out on a date to that one cool place the humans call a skating rink, and he's too distracted by his cheese puff obsession to notice her. Next time she tries, he'll be distracted by what his trainer calls "the edgelord side of rock music."

Valen's Gengar materializes next to Umbreon from the ground, whispering that he can give her advice on how to get his teammate's attention. In response, a big grin dances across Umbreon's face, but she has to prevent herself from squealing at the last second. Gengar snickers that "this is Salamence and Milotic all over again." Gengar and Umbreon burst out laughing upon hearing Valen's Salamence cry out in embarrassment, which is followed by the giggling of Rosa's Milotic.

Back at the picnic table, Valen stays quiet as he listens to Rosa and Hilda discuss gigs that Hilda could get her, stopping to eat and drink in-between. He listens to Rosa stating that she still wants to become an internationally renowned trainer. As he eats and drinks, he can't help but feeling a bit of inspiration himself. Within the play known as the art world, Rosa wants the role of painter and he wants the role of historian.

"Rosa, there's some good news for you," Hilda informs, taking a bite out of her cinnamon roll. "I've gotten you a painting gig."

"Woo-hoo!" Rosa's eyes sparkle, raising her fists above her head. "Who's the patron?" She takes a bite of her stuffed cheesy bread.

"Hehe, you're looking at her." Hilda places her right hand over her grinning mouth. "I'm going to re-arrange what's in the lobby," she continues. "I'll place the prints elsewhere to make room for works created by my clients, and I'd like you to paint a mural for me."

"What about the black walls?"

"Well, I thought about it-" Hilda closes her eyes, proudly smiling. "I think I can afford to have the lobby be different." She munches down on her slice, taking sips of her cola afterwards. "I like the walls, but I'm also a people person. I want to help everyone who walks through the agency's door as best as I can."

"You're so thoughtful about the agency's clientele," Rosa compliments. "And you make the agency so enjoyable for your employees and everybody else."

"Hilda White's the antidote to dull days." Hilda playfully winks, pointing her right index and ring fingers at Rosa. "Never forget that."

Rosa feels like a bright blub just flickered on within her mind. "I can paint some oil on canvas works." She pauses to finish eating a breadstick. "I can paint in various styles."

"Awesomeeeee!" Hilda clasps her hands in front of her right shoulder. "One thing a time, though!"

"That's okay in my book."

"I'm gonna make you a super duper mega star trainer and painter," Hilda states, tipping her white and pink cap downwards. "My name is Hilda White and entertainment is my business." Whether it's planning events, having Pokémon actors fill various roles, or making talented people renowned, she's got everybody covered. She's just that awesome.

Rosa folds her arms, tilting her head back. "We'll blast away your frowning at the speed of light," she boasts. "Surrender now or prepare to fight."

"We're such a great team!" Rosa and Hilda broadly grin, high fiving each other. "Unovan girls, we're unforgettable! Unovan girls, we're unbeatable!"

Hilda's eyes light up. "Oh, we need to record a Motivational Message!"

"Let's gooooo!" Rosa takes out her cell phone from her pink Wallace Kors purse. She enters the camera app, resting her back up against Hilda's back.

Rosa positions her right hand sideways and sticks up her right index and ring fingers. Hilda follows suit, but she does it with her left hand. Rosa presses play, both Hilda and her winking with their right eyes. "It's about you, it's about me!" They cheer and jump around. "It's about hope, it's about dreams!" They switch positions. "It's about never giving up, so hold your head up!" They wink again. "And we will carry on, yeah yeah!" Rosa stops the recording, high fiving Hilda while she goes to upload it to her social media accounts.

Then, they realize that the third person here hasn't barely said a word since they sat down to eat. They rapidly turn their heads, fixating glares at him. However, Valen's unbothered by the glares of his favorite kooks, even thoughF Hilda is his agent and manager too. He says nothing, continuing to chow down on a breadstick.

Their glares vanish when they realize what he's actually doing. They look at each other and faintly laugh. That reddened face is faint, but visible.

Valen narrows his eyes, clenching his fists. "I'm Rosa and Hilda's number one fanboy and I'm proud of it!" He slaps his open mouth with his right hand, his face looking like he ingested Tamato hot sauce. "Um...ah...sorry." He quickly resumes eating a cinnamon roll, acting like nothing happened just now.

"You can't resist us, Val-Val." Hilda titters with her eyes closed, tilting her head rightwards.

"Tee-hee, he can't hide forever!" Rosa exchanges a fist bump with Hilda. "Nooooow-" She inches closer to Valen. "Please finish writing and revising your art history inception book!" She cups her hands together, interlocking her figures, "I want to promote Art History Has History by Valentinus Beauchêne-Barsotti!"

"Relax, it'll get done," he responds. "For now, I'm looking forward to this gig of yours."

"As an aspiring art historian, I expect you to be studying how awesome I am, kay?" she teases. "Don't forget that I went to the prestigious Pokémon Painting & Sculpture Academy."

"As if I wasn't already going to write the most biased argumentative essay ever." Valen laughs, both Rosa and Hilda joining him. Then, his mouth morphs into a broad grin, and his eyes began to glow. "Even more people will wake up and realize that my talented ball of fluff's the second coming of the Old Masters!" He suddenly yelps, his face reddening again. "Oh...uh...ah-" He turns his body away, repeatedly poking two fingers together. "I...uh...got too excited...eh heh heh...heh...heh."

Hilda and Rosa laugh again. "You're such a dork at heart!"

"...Why does this always happen to me?" Valen droops his head, his arms dangling on his sides. "I'll never live these moments down."

"Like I said-" Hilda titters, tilting her head rightwards "you can't resist us."

"Noooooooo, he can't." Rosa's eyelids flutter, placing her right index finger on her lower up. "He's a bad booooy."

The trio share a laugh, then continue to eat and drink. Their Pokémon look on, happy to hear and see that they're enjoying themselves. Of course, it goes both ways.

The late afternoon sunlight's obscured by the curtains of the master bedroom's coupled window. Rosa sits at the mahogany desk within the room, rubbing her right hand on the glossy texture of the pages within the book she's using as research. She loves to read for both pleasure and research but this sight shouldn't fool anyone. Her infinite amounts of energy can make sitting in a sole location for too long very tedious for her.

She briefly peeks at the cover, a placid smile on her face. "From Classicism to Early Impressionism, 1780-1880. Still one of my personal favorites on these eras." She glances at the nine additional books in front of her. "Most of the books were obtained by him, but we're a team." She slides a second book towards her, using it to study color photos of the Romanticism landscape paintings within the first book. She loves the ump that they give, making one feel in awe of nature's raw power.

The artwork she's looking at using both books is Thomas Henry Castelia's depiction of Santalune Forest from 1793. The Caterpie, Weedle, and Fletchling lines make numerous appearences within the piece. On the adjacent page is another depiction of Santalune Forest, this one being Elizabeth Nacrene's depiction from 1795. The Wurmple line, the Starly line, and the Bulbasaur line are the ones that make multiple appearences throughout this piece.

She folds her arms and tilts her back, recalling that one time on her journey where she got to school several know-it-all boys. She can still recite info on these two historical figures like it's second nature. They're known for multiple things, the figureheads of Unovan Romanticism being among them.

Her eyes slightly widen, realizing that she needs to get back on track. She wants to check out at least one of the three Renaissance books among the additional nine as well, since she wants to paint a fresco like the Renaissance masters did. Also among the nine is the sequel to the book she's reading: From Later Impressionism to Surrealism: 1886-1940. She'll get to all of them one by one.

She places a Hydreigon-shaped bookmark into the first painting book and shuts it. Then, she slides a book on Renaissance art closer to her. She flips to a random page, her eyes meeting a color photo of a painting that depicts a trainer and his six Pokémon enjoying a lavish dinner. Her eyes move from left to right, from the stern-looking female Pyroar on the left to the smiling Gallade on the right. "Lorenzo Da Vinci's The Supper Before Battle." She notices that the adjacent page contains a color photo of Raphael's The Ultimate Weapon.

Since the black wooden door is partially open, Rosa can hear what Valen and Hilda are discussing regarding his own ventures. As she reads, she recalls how gloomy and self-degrading Valen had become not too long ago, which stung her heart like a Twineedle. For him to be discussing re-entering the pro circuit and aiming for the Calvanian Grand Performance with a voice that emits confidence, how could she not be proud of him?

Then, she hears an intense mixture of guitars and drums coming from the room across the hallway. "It seems Luxray's listening to his music again." She can enjoy all types of music, and rock's no exception. However, the type of rock that Valen's Luxray, Melanie's Absol, Hilda's Umbreon, Silver's Zoroark, Gladion's Sylveon, and Gladion himself listen to is too dark and edgy for her. That being said, she loves how the brooding Pokémon hosts singing gigs for themselves whenever they're together.

Within that medium-sized bedroom, the blaring music doesn't phase Valen's Luxray or Hilda's Umbreon as they sit together on a large bed with a mahogany frame, a half-eaten bag of cheese puffs lying on a large napkin. Luxray loudly hisses that he's "a proud feline, not a cute kitten" and he doesn't "give a Muk if they don't like my brooding" into a microphone. As Luxray continues what the humans have dubbed hiss singing, Hilda's Umbreon squeals like a fangirl, her eyes sparkling with adoration.

Rosa now's relaxing in the living room, her head resting against the armrest of one of the snowy white sofas. Fittingly, a rug with a Raphael painting print is in between the sofas. She's looking forward to this task, but this is her biggest painting project yet within this region, and she hopes it goes more than well. However, what if it doesn't go well?

Suddenly, Rosa jerks her head from side to side. She has to remain her usual strong and confident self so she can get this awesome commission done. This is her big break, and she can't back down.

Her train of thought's interrupted by her Serperior, who's looking at her with a worried frown. She smiles, leaning in to kiss Serperior on the head. "I'll be fine." Serperior smiles, nuzzling her face into her trainer's arms. Valen's Gardevoir appears in front of the sofa via Teleport. She begins to caress the top of Rosa's head and Serperior's head. She's the motherly big sis of this house, and this applies to Rosa and her team too.

She recalls one of the stories that inspire her the most—Raphael Bonfrancischi da Urbinoroti went to Roma City when he was in his twenties, having gotten his biggest commission yet. The patron was Champion Francesco Romano himself, who had been impressed by one of Raphael's earliest works. The end result of this commission was the original work of the artwork on the rug, and Raphael managed to impress both the champion and king. Pietro Vasari, author of the monumental The Lives of Artists, stated that the champion was a big fan of epics like Arceus and the Jewel of Syramos. One artist in particular, a legend in his own right, was saltier than the ocean. To make matters worse, Raphael beat him in a Pokémon battle afterwards. Then again, Michelangelo Bellincioni's grumpiness could give Silver a run for his money.

Rosa's eyes fixate on the rug again, which depicts Dialga, Palkia, and Arceus. "Space, Time, and Creation." She decides to study the rug's print to distract herself from the doubt that's plaguing her normally confident self.

She loves how Dialga's blue sphere has a gold mechanical clock in the background, while Palkia's pink sphere has the contrast of the blackest of night skies with the brightest of stars. Those two take up the bottom half, with Arceus taking up the whole top half. Arceus has a similar mechanical clock too, while the sky is evenly split between blue, pink, and black.

She hears footsteps getting louder and louder. Rosa sits up, leaning back against the headrest. "About time, sweetie."

Valen notices that Rosa looks a little down. "Please talk to me." His voice emits a worried tone. "I don't want you to be sad."

He relaxes when he feels Gardevoir caressing his right cheek. Serperior nuzzles her face into Valen's right side. He means so much to her trainer, so it's the least she can do.

Valen pats both of their head, then leans in to kiss Rosa on the lips. "Please tell me if there's something on your mind."

"...Well-" Rosa sheepishly smiles, rubbing the back of her head. "I'm a little bit nervous."

"You're a talented painter." Valen rubs her right cheek. "Painting a fresco is difficult, yet you've pulled it off several times."

"I know...but this is my first big commission within Calvana, and-"

"This isn't the Rosa that I know." Valen places his hands on her shoulders, looking into her eyes with a loving gaze. "The Rosa that I know takes pride in her skills."

Rosa's mouth curves into a loving smile. "Right, that's one reason why you call me 'the Second Coming of the Old Masters.' It's your way of encouraging me."

"You stood by me in my darkest hour, and I'll never be able to thank you enough for that." His eyes gleam with affection. "It's my turn to stand by you as you travel down the road that leads to your dreams."

He engages in a brief kissing session with her. It's time to roleplay as royalty again. Those kind of moments always manage to cheer her up. He clears his through, saying, "Bonjour." He playfully laughs as he gets on one knee, gently grasping Rosa's left hand with his right hand. "Ma belle reine." He kisses her hand, just like the kings, princes, and knights in her favorite fantasy movies. "Le roi et chevalier is here."

Rosa faintly smiles, teasing, "Thy queen's pleased." She knows what he's trying to do. No matter how big and bad he tries to ask, he's a ball of fluff himself deep down.

He feels like several lightbulbs in his head just went off. He knows exactly what to do next. "I have more evidence to prove it." he winks. "You managed to pull of Caravaggio's style of dramatic lighting extremely well, you managed to capture the spooky feeling of many of Rembrandt's painting.

Rosa closes her eyes, her grinning mouth exposing her clenched teeth. "Oh, stop it." She makes a playful scoffing sound, waving her hand at him.

"Let me see," He playfully taps his chin. "You can go from Romanticism to Impressionism like a Ninjask using Agility." He leans closer to her right ear. "You're also got the most powerful Sunny Day among contemporary artists, the most effective Cute Charm among contemporary artists, and you're one of the two most wholesome influencers on the planet."

Rosa gently nudges the top of her head against his forehead, her face having reddened. "I'm blushing now, thanks to you." She wraps her arms around his neck. "Thank you."

"Hey, when was the last time we told each other stories?" Valen places his right hand on Rosa's back, playing around with her brown hair with his left hand. "I thought we didn't care how many times we told each other the same story?"

"I know why you're doing this, silly." Rosa winks, kissing him back. "Don't forget that it's a two-way street." She wags her right index finger. "We'll chat about this later, but I expect one in return afterwards."

"Do I look dumb to you?" He earns himself a bop to both cheeks. "Does bopping mean yes or no?" Once again, he can't stop earning himself bops. "Speak up, you kook."

"Yes, you bumbling Spinda." Rosa giggles again, wagging her right index finger. "You're a lovable idiot," she teases. "Emphasis on the world lovable."

"Your name belongs alongside greats like Raphael and Monet." Valen wraps his arms around Rosa's midsection. "Nobody can convince me otherwise." He hoists her upwards. "Not even you."

"You're spoiling me with praise." Rosa bops his forehead with her forehead. "Maybe I should spoil you in a different way." Her smile becomes coy, her eyelids fluttering. "Can you handle me, hmmmmm?" She places a finger on the tip of her lower lip.

"Don't test me." Valen whispers into her right ear. "Don't make me use Seismic Toss."

"I'd prefer if you use Submission and Bind on me instead." Rosa tackles Valen into the sofa. "And you're the one who shouldn't test me."

A quick glance towards the antique wall clock reveals that it's almost dinner time, but they have enough time for a kissing session. They hug again, then they press their lips together with a strong intensity, a surge of heat and passion flowing through both of them.

Valen and Rosa set up the table, placing silverware, plates and glass cups with apple juice in them on opposite ends. Within the center lies porcelain bowl of garlic parmesan pasta, the porcelain plate with spring rolls, and a napkin with fudge brownies on it.

Both sit down in the chairs on the furthest right, placing pasta and spring rolls within their porcelain dinner plates. Rosa wastes no time in twirling a bunch of pasta with her fork, only to blush when she realizes she can't eat so much of this at once. If that wasn't bad enough, she barely avoids getting some of the sauce onto her black leggings, the edge of the table acting like a shield.

Her embarrassment turns into shared laughter between the duo, with Rosa putting a bunch of the pasta back into the center plate. She uses a large napkin to wipe the sauce off the table, then she picks up her fork again.

Valen watches Rosa ingest some of the pasta. "What's my score?" He twirls his fork within the pasta on his own place and begins to munch down.

"Ten out of ten!" Rosa's eyes sparkle, feeling as if the creamy sauce is making her mouth dance. "This is soooo yummy!"

"Heh, neither of us have changed." Valen smirks, briefly closing his eyes. "I'm glad that you still like my cooking."

"Rosa's still Rosa, sweetie." Rosa takes a bite out of a spring roll, letting out a melodious hum over the bell and green peppers inside. "Believe me, we ladies love a guy that can cook." She winks as she lifts up her glass of juice, the cool beverage making her feel extra refreshed as it goes down her throat.

"It's fitting how a film buff like you had a real life plot twist." He munches on a spring roll too. "Modern art broke away from tradition, but you broke away from modern art." A proud smile comes across his face. "Either way, I'm proud of you."

Rosa lovingly smiles, placing her right hand over her heart. Whenever he tells her that, it goes right there and stays there. "I'm proud of you too, Valey. " She knows it's the same for him. "Personally, there's a good chunk of 20th century art that just doesn't do it for me," she confesses. "Maybe being super extroverted influenced my tastes?"

"I can see why a people person would like art with realistic depictions."

"Regardless, art is art." She pauses to consume more pasta. "I know you feel the same way," she says. "My personal taste isn't an excuse to disrespect talented people."

"That's one of your best traits," Valen compliments, taking several sips from his glass cup.

"I know you feel the same way," she points out. "Of course, there's a good chunk that does do it for me." Rosa drinks more juice before continuing. "Abstract Expressionism is still my favorite among art within the last fifty to sixty years." She finishes up her first spring roll, then places another on her place. "I love the unconventional methods employed by action painters."

"Color field painting is really interesting," Valen comments.

"Yeah, it's cool how a few colors can evoke so much awe."

"And you've managed to paint some really good examples of it." Valen finishes eating his first spring roll.

"Of course I have, silly." She wags her left index finger. "Don't forget who you're talking to."

"Yes, mother."

"Don't be a wiseass."

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" He ducks and catches the rolled up napkin Rosa just threw.

Rosa shares a chortle with Valen, then she glances towards the painting prints on the other end of a table. Fittingly, there's an example of color field painting among them. "Bernard Newman's GSC." She studies the metallic gold rectangle, its corners finished with metallic silver diamonds. The diamonds are connected to each other by a straight and thick line finished in crystal blue.

Rosa notes that there are multiple other painting prints on the table as well, depictions of Kyogre, Groudon, and Pinwheel Forest among them. Woo-hoo, she was right! Raphael's The Ultimate Weapon is here, as is The School of Artists and Scholars. Space, Time, and Creation is peeking out from underneath the latter. As her mouth falls open, Rosa points her right hand sideways under her chin and sticking her thumb out. She already saw those prints, but there's more than she thought. Just how many did he buy?

Upon seeing this, Valen sheepishly rubs his forehead. "I didn't show you the other paintings earlier." He stops to take more bites of his pasta and another spring roll. "I decided to wait after lunch, but then it slipped my mind...kinda wanted to surprise you with the Raphael prints too...eh heh."

"Silly boy."

"Uh...by the way...are you going to record yourself?"

"I'm going to call it Rosa's Renaissance."

That's an awesome name!" He blurts out, only to blush seconds later. "Why can't I ever control this side of me?! Why am I so dorky?!"

"I love you so much." Rosa giggles, her tone slightly higher pitched and her face glowing. "Your dorkiness is amazing, and it makes you more endearing too."

Valen and Rosa's gazes meet, and the look deep into each other's eyes. No more words need to be said when their bond's stronger than diamond.

Gardevoir and Serperior watch from the living room, the grinning mouths of their trainers making them smile. Valen's Gengar and Luxray joins them, feeling happy over seeing the duo sharing a moment. Then, Luxray realizes that the other three Pokémon are inching closer to him, causing his face to redden. Serperior, Gardevoir and Gengar want to know how the date went, causing Luxray to shriek. Only how does he realize that they were also laying a trap for him.

Valen and Rosa are enjoying the banter, but they need to finish up eating dinner. There's still brownies ready and waiting for them.

The Raphael story is loosely based on real events, as Raphael was summoned to Rome in 1508. Despite being one of the greatest artists of all time, Michelangelo Buonarroti was a difficult person to deal with, which caused Raphael to be favored. He resented the attention that Raphael got.

Albrecht Dürer was a leading figure within the Northern Renaissance/German Renaissance.

Barret Newman was a leading color field painter.

Couple of books I own are directly referenced here too: Painting & Sculpture in Europe 1780-1880, Painting & Sculpture in Europe 1886-1940, and the Oxford World Classics print of The Lives of The Artists.

Giorgio Vasari's Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors, and Architects, or The Lives of The Artists, is considering the forefather of modern art history literature.

Last edited:

slamdunkrai

bing.com
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. darkrai
  2. snom
Hello! This is the fic I was assigned to review in the Catnip draw. I'm not familiar with Identity, so this is my first exposure to these characters. Going off what you've said about that story, I was expecting this one to be fairly fluff-heavy. This ended up being the case! You've clearly put a lot of thought into how these characters interact, and in the story, it's clearly conveyed how close they all are. I thought the aspect of them all being dumb, flirty kids in each other's company was pretty charming, and it works with the premise of Rosa having a brief moment of doubt about her art before Valen puts her at ease. Your enthusiasm for European art history also comes across here!

As per your request, I'll try to keep my critique brief. The biggest issue I had with this is that a lot of things are spelled out very explicitly, to the point where it feels like we're being told a lot about these characters that's either already been shown to us, or that could've been communicated more subtly. In particular, there were a few examples of this within the dialogue. There's two examples of this that I want to draw attention to. The first:
"That pizza place is on the same street where I get my art prints from." Valen shrugs, sporting a slightly sheepish smile. "Why not pick up something I had reserved in advance, you know?"

"That's alright, cuz art and history are two of your passions." Hilda cheers, placing her right hand over her mouth. "I love seeing people being passionate!"
(and then later on:)
"Heh, neither of us have changed." Valen proudly smirks, briefly closing his eyes. "Another thing that hasn't changed is that one never stops learning about art and history."
It feels unnecessary to reinforce this through dialogue, given that the fic is mostly about everyone here being into art and history. When writing dialogue, it's best to consider what information the reader is being given through what the characters say, and how they say it. Here, it feels like we're being reminded of something that's very apparent in how these characters act, just to make sure we pick up on Valen being an art historian (which we could do already).

The second, from earlier on:
"Woah, it's Rosa Whitley!" A male trainer exclaims, exchanging a smile with his Servine. "This girl's like an A-list celebrity back in Unova! I can't believe she's walking around like a normal person!"

"She looks so good in that Grimsley Lauren top!" A female trainer with a smirking Dewott gushes. "And mister, she's going to gain more and more fame internationally!"

"The ice-blue sleeves really match the white!" A second female trainer with a brooding Pignite squeals.
This reads to me like an assortment of strangers who may or may not know each other -- we don't know, we only know their genders and their pokémon (the fact that they're the three starters evolved once loosely implies they do know each other, and it's a neat detail, but it's not exactly the most useful information for figuring out what's going on here). They're yelling at each other about someone they know of (but don't know personally), how that person looks in her outfit, how famous she is, and how she's only going to become more famous. Trying to picture this took me out of the story for a moment; the image of a celebrity walking past, having three fans in particular talk very loudly about what she's wearing and also how famous she is (we are told earlier on that she is a "popular trainer" who wants to have her art listed alongside the greats; we can already infer she's pretty famous from this), only then for another bunch of fans to pop up all of a sudden... this feels like a conversation that's happening for the reader, who is being told by some people we never see again how Rosa looks, and not an organic bit of chatter happening between people. I think you could probably go about telling us this through inner monologue.

Beyond that, here's just a few bits and pieces of grammar that jumped out at me:
Her Serperior slithers to her left, the serpentine giving her trainer an amused gaze.
Should be "the serpent" -- serpentine is the adjective.

"Rosa, your number one fanboy is over here." He faintly laughs. "Did you get distracted by the heat you always emit?"
I wasn't sure what this meant. "Emit" feels too mechanical a word here, but also -- is the question "did [Rosa] get distracted by the heat that [Rosa] always gives off?" I wasn't sure why this would distract her, and I don't really know what the question means.

"Awesomeeeee!" Hilda clasps her hands in front of her right shoulder. "I'm gonna make you a super duper mega star trainer and painter
Possibly an unfinished sentence? In any case, it's missing punctuation at the end there.

"Le roi and chevalier is here upon request."
I want to say le roi et chevalier would read better to me, and just generally if this whole bit was in French. Like, this feels as though the grammatically correct form would be "le roi et chevalier are here upon request" ("the king and knight" = plural), but switching out of it mid-sentence, especially given that he's been speaking it the whole paragraph, feels unnatural. Alternatively, given that Rosa switches to replying in old-timey English, you could just have him speak in the same way if you don't wanna put the whole bit in French? The main bit here is that it feels like this'd be better if it committed to one of the two languages. Speaking of Rosa's response!

Rosa faintly smiles, teasing, "Thy queen's pleased with thou."
This might just be the Middle/Early Modern English student in me having a nitpick here, given that this is just Rosa teasing Valen, but "thy" and "thou" were pronouns mostly used for informal speech! "Your" and "you" would work better here, unless Rosa not knowing and just making it up is the joke (which feels odd, given her interest in history). Also, if she's playing at courtly speech, "thy queen is" feels like it'd be more appropriate than the contraction.

Anyway, to conclude, this was a pretty interesting read. Blending this much information about art history with a pokéfic isn't something you see every day, so props to you for having a go at it, and it was charming seeing these kids just vibing, I guess. Cheers for writing this, and best of luck with your future endeavours!

Last edited:

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
Hello! This is the fic I was assigned to review in the Catnip draw. I'm not familiar with Identity, so this is my first exposure to these characters. Going off what you've said about that story, I was expecting this one to be fairly fluff-heavy. This ended up being the case! You've clearly put a lot of thought into how these characters interact, and in the story, it's clearly conveyed how close they all are. I thought the aspect of them all being dumb, flirty kids in each other's company was pretty charming, and it works with the premise of Rosa having a brief moment of doubt about her art before Valen puts her at ease. Your enthusiasm for European art history also comes across here!

As per your request, I'll try to keep my critique brief. The biggest issue I had with this is that a lot of things are spelled out very explicitly, to the point where it feels like we're being told a lot about these characters that's either already been shown to us, or that could've been communicated more subtly. In particular, there were a few examples of this within the dialogue. There's two examples of this that I want to draw attention to. The first:

(and then later on:)

It feels unnecessary to reinforce this through dialogue, given that the fic is mostly about everyone here being into art and history. When writing dialogue, it's best to consider what information the reader is being given through what the characters say, and how they say it. Here, it feels like we're being reminded of something that's very apparent in how these characters act, just to make sure we pick up on Valen being an art historian (which we could do already).

The second, from earlier on:

This reads to me like an assortment of strangers who may or may not know each other -- we don't know, we only know their genders and their pokémon (the fact that they're the three starters evolved once loosely implies they do know each other, and it's a neat detail, but it's not exactly the most useful information for figuring out what's going on here). They're yelling at each other about someone they know of (but don't know personally), how that person looks in her outfit, how famous she is, and how she's only going to become more famous. Trying to picture this took me out of the story for a moment; the image of a celebrity walking past, having three fans in particular talk very loudly about what she's wearing and also how famous she is (we are told earlier on that she is a "popular trainer" who wants to have her art listed alongside the greats; we can already infer she's pretty famous from this), only then for another bunch of fans to pop up all of a sudden... this feels like a conversation that's happening for the reader, who is being told by some people we never see again how Rosa looks, and not an organic bit of chatter happening between people. I think you could probably go about telling us this through inner monologue.

Beyond that, here's just a few bits and pieces of grammar that jumped out at me:
Should be "the serpent" -- serpentine is the adjective.

I wasn't sure what this meant. "Emit" feels too mechanical a word here, but also -- is the question "did [Rosa] get distracted by the heat that [Rosa] always gives off?" I wasn't sure why this would distract her, and I don't really know what the question means.

Possibly an unfinished sentence? In any case, it's missing punctuation at the end there.

I want to say le roi et chevalier would read better to me, and just generally if this whole bit was in French. Like, this feels as though the grammatically correct form would be "le roi et chevalier are here upon request" ("the king and knight" = plural), but switching out of it mid-sentence, especially given that he's been speaking it the whole paragraph, feels unnatural. Alternatively, given that Rosa switches to replying in old-timey English, you could just have him speak in the same way if you don't wanna put the whole bit in French? The main bit here is that it feels like this'd be better if it committed to one of the two languages. Speaking of Rosa's response!

This might just be the Middle/Early Modern English student in me having a nitpick here, given that this is just Rosa teasing Valen, but "thy" and "thou" were pronouns mostly used for informal speech! "Your" and "you" would work better here, unless Rosa not knowing and just making it up is the joke (which feels odd, given her interest in history). Also, if she's playing at courtly speech, "thy queen is" feels like it'd be more appropriate than the contraction.

Anyway, to conclude, this was a pretty interesting read. Blending this much information about art history with a pokéfic isn't something you see every day, so props to you for having a go at it, and it was charming seeing these kids just vibing, I guess. Cheers for writing this, and best of luck with your future endeavours!
Thanks for the feedback!

I think I could remove the fan dialogue part but keep the interaction. And I'll make the other tweaks that you pointed out.

They aren't actually kids, btw. That is a thing that I run into every now and them, so I should probably take a peek at that.

Last edited:

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
Chapter 2: Teamwork

Rosa's spending this late morning in the master bedroom, a frown appearing on her face. She eyes the antique bronze gilt clock within the middle bookshelf, feeling like its hands are moving as slow as possible. She got so caught up in the oil paintings that she forgot to continue planning for the fresco. The oil paintings are going to be later down the line, and yet she slipped up. She eyes the photo of Valen, herself, and their respective Pokémon that's on the mahogany desk, the frame currently surrounded by two stacks of books that differ in size.

Suddenly, she feels like she just snapped out of a trance. She needs to take it easy. She was also reading for pleasure and had a good time reading some of her favorites. She hops off of the bed, striding towards the bookshelves. He added more books while she wasn't looking, because of course her silly boy would do that. She bends her body forward, her eyes scanning the middle bookshelf among the five present. She points her right hand sideways under her chin, sticking her thumb out. Which books should she pull off of the shelves?

After a few more moments of pondering, she grabs a pair of Renaissance books and a biography on Raphael Bonfrancischi da Urbino. She holds the book up against her midsection, her arms wrapped around them. She places them on the bed for the time being. Then, she realizes that she's forgotten the main books she wants to consult. "Where'd I put those fresco books?" She places her hand over her forehead. "I could've sworn that-" She hears the echo of footsteps getting louder.

"Did you check the desk?" Valen asks, sauntering into the master bedroom. "I saw you put them there earlier."

Rosa turns her body to face him. "The-" He face faintly reddens when she realizes that said books were on the mahogany desk this entire time. "Oh...oops." She sheepishly smiles, scratching the back of her head. "Guess I'm a little off my game right now."

Valen places his right hand on her shoulder. "Rosa, I love how strong-willed you are, but you don't have to carry all of the weight on your shoulders." He wraps his arms around her midsection, pulling her into an embrace. "Don't forget that we're a team." He feels her wrapping her arms around his neck. "I'm always here to to lend a hand. alright?"

"...Alright." She kisses him on the lips. "Thanks."

"Let's read these fresco books together." Valen slowly blinks, wondering how he's going to hug Rosa and carry that massive fresco book to the bed. "Well-"

Then, all of the books are enveloped in a light blue aura and began floating. One by one, they're placed on the bed, the aura vanishing afterwards.

"Gardevoir saves the day again." Rosa giggles, both Valen and her hearing the door closing behind them. "And before you say it again, your attempts at painting weren't that bad."

"You're still better suited for painting than I am," he counters. "I'm better at analyzing art than creating art."

"And you're better suited for the art history field than me, so zip it." Rosa bops his forehead. "History's heavy on researching, reading, and writing," she points out. "Do you really think somebody with as much as energy as me would be able to sit still for that long?"

"Let's start with the massive fresco book that my great-grandpa's best friend wrote forty seven years ago," he suggests. "You remember where I got this from?"

"It was meeeeee!" Rosa's eyes sparkle. "I made you smile!" She clasps her hands next to her right cheep. "You were soooo happy when I gifted you this! "He the second fresco book, which is almost a fourth of the size of the first one. "Another good pick."

"Yeeeeep!" she cheers. "A reprint of the book that helped bring the study of fresco back to the surface during the nineteenth century!" She points to the book placed in between the fresco books, "I also was looking at The Art of Landscape Painting earlier!"

"I love a lady who can school guys in art and history," Valen compliments, rubbing the top of her head. "You're adorable and beautiful on the outside and inside."

"Awwww, you don't have to say all that." Rosa giggles. "However, if you want to keep on complimenting me-" she winks. "be my guest."

Rosa exchanges a fist bump with Valen, then she flips to a page in the giant fresco book. "I'm thinking about doing a landscape painting like this!" She feels the slightly glossy texture as her right index finger rubs on the page, moving it from the color photo's towering gray mountains through the green hills in the middle, stopping at the river and grasslands below. "The mountains have Salamence flying around it, but I'd paint several Salamence, Hydreigon, and Garchomp.".

"That's the Rosa that I know and love." Her rubs the top of her head. "Good job pushing through."

"Thank you!" she grins. "The base of the mountains can have Emboar and Beartic." She points to the tranquil river. "This can have Golisopod on the bank, with Starmie, and Milotic in the water." She moves her finger in a circle around the grasslands and hilly area. "Gardevoir, Luxray, Gengar, Serperior, Eelektross, Volcarona, and Umbreon can go here." She moves up to the greenish blue sky above, her finger resting on a large orange beam of sunlight. "Crobat, Aerodactyl, and Braviary can go here."

"I see what you're doing." His gaze switches between looking at Rosa and the page-sized photo. "You're trying to include Hilda's team, your team, and my team within the fresco."

"Yeeeeep, and I'll include a giant Galarian-style country home and some people too!" Rosa cheers, her eyes glittering. "For the others, I'll try to include them in the oil paintings so they don't feel left out!" She closes her eyes. "Soooo, whatcha think?" She hasn't told him everything—it's more fun to surprise him at times.

"I think you're gonna knock it out of the part," he answers. "Did you think of a name yet?"

"The Tranquility of the Countryside by Rosa Rafaela Mieke Whitley!" She glances towards the landscape paintings on display. "The idea behind that name came to me from Jack Constable's The Countryside."

Valen looks at the wall himself, a lightbulb shimmering within his mind. "Hey, let's try to get a print of the fresco," he suggests. "I wanna hang it next to these prints."

Rosa's taken aback, her mouth dropping. "W-Woah!" She holds her right arm sideways in front of her. "That's not necessary!"

Valen closes his eyes, an ear-to-ear loving smile appearing on his face. "Did you forget that I've been studying art history since age six, while you've been painting since age seven?" He re-opens his eyes, his placid gaze using Lock-On on Rosa's eyes. "I've seen your skills for the last fourteen years." He kisses her on the lips. "I truly believe that you're going to be-" He smacks his forehead with his right hand. "Sorry, I meant that you are on par with the Old Masters, but you've got to keep doing what you do best."

Rosa goes silent, her mouth dropping. "You...really do...for so many years." His words continue ringing throughout her mind.

"Well?" Valen gives her a thumbs up. "Are you ready?"

Rosa closes her eyes, her shocked expression being kicked out by one that brims confidence. "I wanna be one of the best, just like the ones before." She rapidly re-opens her eyes, cheering, "To paint is my real test, to wow is my cause!" Her eyes gleam. "I will have fun across the land, making smiles wide! Rosa's Renaissance will begin, and her future's bright as that sky!"

"That's my girl." Valen gives her a thumbs up. "Let me research and plan with you," he requests. "That way, you don't have to carry all the weight, plus you can focus more on the painting itself."

"...Ha, I'm such a dummy sometimes," she remarks, her amused voice raising in pitch. "I like to go at these tasks on my own, but there's nothing wrong with getting a little bit of help from others," she continues. "When you truly love somebody, you want to support them every step of the way."

"Renaissance artists had workshops with assistants too," Valen reminds her. "Raphael's no exception."

Rosa nods, asserting, "I can't forget where I came from as a painter." A nostalgic smile appears on her face again. "I completed my journey and won my first Unovan Conference, I took up an apprenticeship position at the same academy." She clasps her hands in front of her chin, exclaiming, "That was soooo much fun!" Her eyes sparkle like the ocean under the night sky." That's when I decided to become an art-themed social media star!"

"And a star you are," he adds. "In my eyes, you were always a star."

"You really are my number one fanboy." Rosa caresses Valen's right cheek. "Thank you for always being by my side."

Valen's smug smile vanishes when Rosa gives him her trademark adorable grin. He can't even hide under the blanket to protect himself from her powerful cuteness.

Outside of the door, Gardevoir leans against the wall right of it. She's got her arms folded, a big smirk plastered on her face. She can hear Gengar's laughing and Luxray's shrieking from the other room. She cackles, wondering when both Salamence and Luxray will admit to liking Rosa's Milotic and Hilda's Umbreon respectively.

Rosa places a large sheet of drawing paper onto the antique walnut dining table, with Valen placing the opened large fresco book to the right. She takes a seat and wastes no time, a smooth rubbing noise slightly echoing as the sinopia pencil's tip meets the paper's surface.

Valen's somehow able to contain his glee, the cloudless sky and the towering mountains coming to life as Rosa steers her pencil up and down to varying degrees. Her smile's brimming with aplomb fitting for a talented individual. As he observes the river's zig-zag shape taking form, he admires how she sketched it out first. She'll trace it later, just like the Renaissance artists did. Fresco painting became less and less utilized, but there are a handful of cotemporary fresco masters. The perfect combination of lively, cute, and pretty working right in front of him is among them.

"I learned this in the Ragulian Renaissance course I took at the Pokémon Painting & Sculpture Academy. Rosa's got a nostalgic smile. "Mr. Benderson was such a good instructor." She rests the pencil on the paper, her gaze moving towards Valen. "You know him as Brandon Benderson." She playfully winks. "Or did you get rusty, hmmmm?"

"One of the world's leading historians on thirteenth to sixteenth century Ragulian art," he answers. "From Cimabue Bartolomeo to Gianluigi Bernini."

"Good job!" Rosa exchanges a high five with him.

"Heh, what are the chances that I've got one of his books right here?" Valen eyes the Renaissance book in his hand. "Operating During The Renaissance talks about aspects of the world that these artists lived and work in, plus the styles, the materials, and more."

"Oh, I forgot!" Rosa stops to exchange a kiss with Valen on the lips, then she resumes drawing. "I needed a good luck kiss!"

She begins to draw the first of the Pokemon, the river being her starting point. She feels like she's moving her hand gracefully as the majestic depiction of Milotic takes from. Next up is the big bad Bug and Water-type who beats meanies down without ever letting up. She narrows her eyes, feeling like she's about to bop someone as the tough depiction of a Golisopod with his arms folded. She giggles at how cool and smug the arthropod looks while sitting on the riverbank.

As he watches her continue via drawing a coiled up Serperior and a brooding Luxray, Valen wonders if people will be confused by a masterpiece painting a masterpiece. Rosa's smart, she's sassy, she's skilled, and she's a stunner. Watching her depiction of a mighty and prideful Salamence taking form above the steep slopes of the mountains, she really is a Renaissance masterpiece that came to life.

Having known each other for so many years, they know what each other's first art books were. For her, those books were a trio of historic treatises: The Colors and Methods of the Fresco, The Handbook of the Crafter, and Theories on Painting. She keeps her copies with her art portfolios just so he can keep his within the middle of his five shelves. They had the world's most wholesome debate over this, their main arguments being that the other was better.

"Wake up, you lovable idiot."

Her words snap Valen back into the present, but he's unsure about what to say. This just got really awkward in a flash. "Ah...um...why'd you stop again?" He clenches his teeth, feeling fluttery in his stomach. "Did you finish?"

"Yes you silly boy, I finished the sketch." Rosa bops his forehead, her own stomach growling. "Did you stop paying attention?"

"Uh...m-maybe...kinda sorta?" Valen looks away as he pokes two fingers together. "I...may...have gotten...um...err...

"Tee-hee, I love you so much!" Rosa's eyes glitter. "You're sooo cute!"

"I'm not cute," he retorts. "I only let you say it because-" He realizes that Rosa's giving him that adorable heart melting grin too. "Err...well...i-it's because...um...you're a b-ball of fl-fluff." He scratches the back of his head. "Eh heh heh...heh...heh." He sighs, his arms dangling on his sides. "Why am I such a dork?"

He begins to laugh, lifting his head up to check out Rosa's sketch. He sees that Rosa's split it into nine sections that vary in size. His gaze darts back and forth from the picture in the book to the sketch. Not only did she nail it, but she added multiple twists to it. From the mighty dragons chilling in the mountains to Gengar peeing through the country home's walls, it's a magnificent work of landscape art. A couple of the mountains extend further into the sky, the river's slightly larger, and she's drawn the country house like it's a Gothic cathedral. The stained glass windows, the towering spires, the ornateness, the flying buttresses, it's all there.

"Do you like my surprise?" Rosa inches her face closer to his face. "I based it off of your favorite country home." She playfully winks. "If it makes you happy, it's worth it."

Valen pats Rosa's head. "I love you." He's seen her in action before—her infinite amounts of energy will allow her to get this job done faster than usual.

"Nooooo, I love yoooou." Rosa giggles, wagging her right index finger. "The queen overrules yooou."

"Prove your hypothesis in an unorthodox way." Valen suddenly bolts into the living room. "Let's see if you can catch me!"

Rosa darts as fast as she can, the sound of her tackling Valen onto the rub echoing throughout the room. That's soon followed by the sound of play wrestling and laughter, attracting the attention of Valen's Gengar. From the dining room, he peeps through the wall to watch this funny moment.

Hilda scrolls down a spreadsheet using the touchpad, eyeing the statuses of various clients. She places her left thumb and index finger on her chin as she scrolls downwards. She stops when she sees the names Rosa Whitley, Valentinus Beauchêne-Barsotti, and Melanie Olsen. Three of her bestest besties, and she still doesn't care if using those two words together is redundant.

Garchomp's attempting to peek at the laptop. Hehe, what a silly dragon he is. She moves her head leftwards, spotting her Umbreon. She's looking away, but her face is visibly red. She presumes that Garchomp must've teased her about her musical session with Valen's Luxray.

"Alright, let's get moving!" Hilda sports a broad grin as she loudly slaps her hands together several times. "Rosa's coming to begin preparations for the fresco, so we've gotta prepare too!" she shouts. "This wall is going to be filled to the brim with works and pictures!" She clasps her hands in front of her right shoulder. "Rosa's fresco, various oil paintings, pictures of battles, pictures of trophies!" She shuts her eyes, her grin as wide as it can be. "Kyaaaaa, I can't wait!"

"President, you wanna do only one?" A male employee with spiky hair asks as he walks into her line of sight. "Or do you have more planned?"

"Heeeey, Kevin!" she waves. "Don't worry, only the big middle one needs to be stripped of paint." Hopefully, he comes with her. He's had self-esteem issues as of late, but he's gotten much better. She has the upmost faith in both of them.

Hilda watches the spiky haired employee put on coveralls and gloves, then he joins two female employees wearing goggles and dust masks. She clasps her hands behind her back, her gaze darting towards another male employee and a Machop carrying a bucket and a sponge. Behind them is two Machoke and a Machamp who carry paint rollers and paint stripper.

"Oh!" She suddenly exclaims. "I can't just stand here and do nothing!" She titters, placing her right hand in front of her mouth. "I have to plan out which works and photos I want to put on the wall!" She jumps backwards into the Kalosian armchair, grabbing her laptop from the table.

Her mouth falls open and her eyes slightly widen at the first picture. It's Valen, Rosa, and herself after they had won the PML within the artificial island of Pasio. She laughs over how both Rosa and her tried to hug Valen at the same time, nearly knocking him over. He has his arms wrapped around their waists, all three of them sporting broad smiles.

Hilda grins as she moves her finger down the touchpad. That picture's followed by pictures of Rosa and herself after winning the Unova Conference. Pictures of Valen and Melanie after winning the Calvanian Conference follow suit. Of course, photos of many others are present too. Actors, actresses, guitarists, saxophone players, sculptors, painters, graphic designers, pro circuit trainers, and more.

She glances over to see how her staff and the Pokemon are doing. She watches the black paint being stripped off of the middle panel, her mind imagining an awesome painting of a beautiful landscape fresco painting on that panel. Rosa's told her her how difficult fresco is, but Rosa's so awesome that she can pull it off. They're all awesome in their own ways.

Valen's Gardevoir and Hilda's Starmie use their psychic powers to sort out the tools laying on a large portable table, while Hilda's Beartic carries the bucket of plaster towards the table.

"Rosa's in the house!" Rosa jumps into the air, raising her right fist. She takes her phone out and enters the camera app. "Video time!" She presses play. "I wanna be the very best, just like the ones before!" Her cheery voice echoes throughout the area. "I'm born to be a winner, born to be a great painter! Born to be the very best! Born to be a painter, that's-" She winks with her right eye. "Cutest Queen Rooooosaaaaaa!" She ends the recording, but there's still photos to take. She turns her back to the camera, looking back to wink. The camera's bright light flashing several times. "Prettiest and liveliest queen too!"

Hilda sweeps Rosa into a hug, wrapping her arms around her upper back. "He told me that you were nervous," she whispers. "Don't worry, you've got this."

"Thank you, Hilda." Rosa tenderly smiles, feeling Hilda letting go of her. "I won't back down."

Rosa angles her right hand sideways, her thumb sticking out. She grabs up the sketch from off the table and holds it up, obscuring her view of the wall panel. She moves the sketch up and down, confirming that it's a perfect fit. She checks to make sure that the camera, which is decorated with the Deino line, is ready to go. Then, she places the camera on the top of a black tripod.

"Guess who's baaaack!" She sticks her right index and ringers out, her grin growing under. "I've gotten my first big commission within the Calvana region thanks to my bestie, Hilda White. I'm going to paint this fresco in a similar manner to how the Ragulian Renaissance artists painted frescoes."

It's time to prep, she have to rough up the surface before applying plaster. she explains. Normally, a pickaxe would be used rough up the surface, but there's a plot twist this time around." She glances towards Valen, who's sitting some distance from behind the camera.

Valen nods, taking out a Poké Ball from inside his black leather jacket. "Come on out." He presses the button on the front to let his Golisopod out. "Rosa's painting a fresco." Valen exchanges a fist bump with the arthropod. "You know what to do."

As she watches Golisopod slowly approach the panel, Rosa exchanges a fist bump with him too. "Pokémon are our besties too, and besties help besties!" Rosa grabs a small pin and a charcoal pencil from a large portable table. "While he does that, I'm going to explain how drawings were applied to walls during the Renaissance! Tee-hee, it's like a sneak peek!"

As he watches Rosa speak and his Golisopod carefully roughing up the surface with his claws, Valen feels a certain somebody wrapping her arms around his neck from behind. "Uh oh, it's my manager."

"Somebody's got to keep an eye on the goofball." Hilda teases, kissing him on the back of his head.

"In that case, come here and hug me." He glances behind him. "I was promised daily hugs from my favorite kooks."

"Hehe, giant Lillipup." Hilda keeps her arms wrapped around his neck, rotating them as she takes a seat next to him.

Valen places a Gengar-shaped bookmark on the page he's on, then closes the book. He places it on the table, then places his right hand on Hilda's back. He runs his left hand through her dark brown hair. They silently watch Rosa continue one of the things that she does best. No amount of doubt can put a damper on her incredible drive.

"Now, I have to apply a layer of arriccio." Rosa carefully places the bucket containing the plaster close to her right side. "Arriccio's created from lime paste and sand," she continues. "This will be the last thing for this video, as I need to let it dry overnight after smearing it around the panel. "She grabs her stainless steel trowel and dips it into the bucket. Then, she begins to smear the plaster all over the large panel.

Once she's done, she wipes the trowel and places it back on the table. "I hope you enjoyed the beginning of this new series!" She rapidly waves. "See you next time!" She sticks up her right index and ring fingers. "Wherever Rosa goes, smiles follow!" Rosa inches closer to the camera and stops the recording. She takes a long and hard deep breath, remarking, "I managed to push through." An ear-to-ear grin appears on her face. She begins jumping while raising her right fist upwards. "I did it! I pushed through!"

"Does that mean you're not nervous anymore?" Hilda inquires. "By the way, you can leave the supplies here," she informs. "I think it'll be easier for you that way."

"Thanks," Rosa responds. "I'm still a little bit nervous, but it's becoming less and less." She looks back at the panel. "I think getting started helped with that." She gives Valen and Hilda a placid smile. "Plus I'm surrounded by awesome people and Pokemon who'll lend me a hand if need be."

"By the way, what's our motto again?" Valen winks at Rosa and Hilda. "I conveniently forgot."

Rosa spins, resting her back against Valen's back. She tilts her head back to nudge him, stating, "The queen's trouble."

"The reaper's double." Valen closes his eyes, mimicking Rosa's nudge.

"To put on shows that excite all nations

"To promote the ideals of friendship and love."

"We'll shine as bright as the stars above."

"Battle Queen Rosa." Rosa's smile becomes more smug.

"Team Skull's Valen." Valen sharply re-opens his eyes.

"We keep on winning at the speed of light!" Rosa sticks her right index finger and ring fingers out.

"We challenge you so prepare to fight!" Valen's smile becomes a lopsided grin.

"That's right!" Hilda cheers with her eyes closed.

Valen, Rosa, and Hilda exchange a high five, shouting, "We're gonna take the world by storm, one step at a time!"

While the humans were doing their thing, the Pokémon were trying to push Umbreon as close to Luxray as possible. Both quadrupeds have faces as red as a Magmar's Fire Blast, especially Umbreon. Umbreon feels weak in her legs, her head shyly down. What if Luxray tries to kiss her?! How will she be able to handle such an amazing and memorable event?! He's such a handsome Pokémon who can sing a mean edgy song. He's soooo cooool, kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Wait, she squealed out loud! Hide behind the chair, hide behind Golisopod, just hide somewhere!

Last edited:

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
Thanks for pointing out the errors, and I'll see what I can do about that paragraph.

Gladion doesn't show up, but he is friends with Valen and Rosa. Rui's from Colosseum, and I probably should've mentioned what the agency does too for better standalone power. It's actually an element from the Adventures manga.

Last edited:

BossCar

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
He/His
Chapter 3: Success

The day of painting has arrived, the sunny early morning contrasting how the painter herself is feeling. Rosa's chin touches the bottom of her neck. She's slumping in the Kalosian armchair. Today's when she starts painting, but what if onlookers jeer at her? What if she makes a huge mistake and ruins it?

She fidgets around with her long ponytails, her eyes unable to move away from the wall panel. She jerks upwards, rapidly shaking her head. No, no doubting! Rosa Whitley doesn't doubt, Rosa Whitley's a fighter!

She slumps again, but manages to keep a somewhat straightened posture. Why's she even nervous in the first place? She's painted frescoes before, what makes this one any different besides being her first in Calvana?

She jolts out of her seemingly trance-like state when melodious humming passes through her ears. There's love in that humming, there's so much care in that tone. Only one person can make her feel this way. His singing voice never fails to caress her mind. Here comes that powerful sedative effect when she's snugly in his arms, both hands massaging her back.

"Thanks for always being there."

Rosa's lips connect with his lips, the warmth around them endothermic. She wraps her arms around her neck, resting her right cheek on his upper chest.

"Everyone's gonna get nervous at one point or another." Valen rests his chin on the top of her head. "It's part of being human, cinnamon bun." This calming technique utilized by his mother and Gardevoir lifts weights off of one's mind. That's why he's long since learned it himself.

I think my confidence could've taken a hit because I felt too weak to help you out at first." She takes a slow deep breath, her posture straitening out. "Now we're getting back on track, which is awesome."

"Oh, sorry that I'm late." He bends his head, whispering, "I got cupcakes for the Pokémon."

"Are you trying to set those two pairs up on a cupcake date?"

"A gentleman never reveals his secrets, ma belle reine."

"Ooooh, you're dropping the classy charm on meeee." She shares a laugh with him.

"Hold up, does your fanbase knows you took a break from that Titian-inspired oil painting?" Valen inquires. "You had a good reason, but I hope you didn't run into any trouble." He scratches the back of his head. "I...err...I just don't want you to be sad."

"Yep." Rosa's eyes and grin light up her face. "Don't worry, the Rosa Force rocks." Uh oh, big boy's trying to fight off blushing due to adorable awesome Rooosa.

Milotic and Salamence approach their trainers on behalf of their teams. Both encourage via a soft cry and a soft roar respectively. Milotic rests the right side of her on Salamence's face. The normally prideful tri-colored dragon may as well share the moment with her. He kisses Milotic on the top of her head, whispering that he loves her. He's glad that he didn't become flustered this time. He's inconsistent about that, just like his trainer.

Right on cue, he blushes when Rosa paces her steps towards him. Her hands are clasped behind her back, her smile mischievous.

Hilda trots into the lobby, causing Salamence to breathe a sigh of relief. Milotic bops him with her tailfin, giggling that he's such a dork. Salamence says nothing, his grin lopsided. They observe Rosa darting up to Hilda, the humans exchanging a hard high five up high.

Milotic giggles again, asking if Salamence remembers the time Luxray tried high fiving Umbreon. Salamence whispers that the duo's right behind them, don't make them blush. Luxray hisses that he heard that, while Hilda's Umbreon squeals like a fangirl.

Luxray brooding is like water being wet, but a edgelord's got to do what an edgelord's got to do. More importantly, everybody gets the wrong idea. He took her out, it was a Friday night. She knows he's a proud feline, she got the message right. But it was was not a date, you're all really stupid. He's too mighty and edgy to be a cute kitten. And then Umbreon and Absol brooded with him! Can the rest of the team stop roasting him?!

"Sooooo, how much time do I have today?" Rosa asks, grabbing painting overalls from the portable table. "I know the agency doesn't open until two today." She ties the overalls around her.

"Including breaks and lunch, you've got about seven to nine hours to work." Hilda clasps her hands in front, her head tilting leftwards. "I hope that isn't too much pressure on you." She titters with a cute grin, as evident by her favorite goofball nearly blushing.

"Hmph." She narrows her eyes at Valen. "Watch me, sweetie." Rosa clasps her hands behind her back, her face inches away from his. "I'm going to finish the entire painting before the day ends."

Valen places his thumb and right index finger on his chin, his gaze alternating between Rosa and the medium-sized panel. She can definitely pull it off, but he worries about her being drained of energy. Somehow, even she gets drained of energy.

"I'm the second coming of the Old Masters, remember?" Her grin becomes lopsided. "If I doooooooo, whatcha gonna do about it, hmmmmmm?" She used her cute grin attack, it's super effective against him,

"Why me?" Valen sighs, his arms dangling. "I'm twenty two, and yet I can't stop acting like a dork." He straightens out his posture. "I will shower you with praise." As if he wasn't going to do that already.

"Mhm, correct answer." Rosa winks, her smile coy. "If I pull it off, you have to let me make dinner tonight." She wags her right index finger. "You're going to rest and you're going to like it, kay?"

"Only you'd do that."

"Yeeeep, cuz I'm Rooooosa."

She's got so much energy that he better have some great one-liners ready. Wait a minute, this is Valen! Tee-hee of course he's got great one-liners ready! Camera's ready, she's ready, let's rock!

"Hiiii Rosa Force!" she waves. "It's painting timeeee!"

Due to the nature of fresco, the ball of fluff has to use every ounce of focus she's got, hence why he'll remain quiet and read. Fresco's a difficult medium due to how fast and careful an artist has to work. Rosa's infinite reserves of energy and her precision allows her to work at a faster pace than normal. It took time, a lot of time, but the payoff was worth it. The adorable proud grin she had upon finishing her first fresco commission was priceless.

Rosa's bringing up the fresco that inspired what she's about to start painting: Pietro Veronese's gorgeous landscape fresco within Barberino Palace, the home of the modern day Ragulian Conference. His mind replays their date at Antonio Palladio's crowning achievement within Raguila's Maserino Town.

The photos in that giant fresco book allow readers to take in such beautiful frescoes, among from the comfort of their own home. Historical and analytical information accompany each photo too.

"She's going to hit a home run," he murmurs. "My girl's gonna wow the entire world."

Rosa spreads the intonaco around the largest section of the tracing. Once she's finished, she wastes no time in dipping her brush into a bright shade of blue known as Osirian blue. She plans to use this color in conjunction with the whites of certain Pokémon's eyes as well. Combining a majestic landscape inspired by that Pietro Veronese fresco with a style akin to Raphael's vivid portrayal of people and Pokémon, that's how she rolls! The Raphael piece she's got in mind is the fresco called Galatea's Battling, the most famous depiction of this notable female trainer from Ancient Kasmenestias.

She scrapes off unused intonaco, then applies new layers of the plaster to three sections on the right side.

"Kaaay, now I'm going to reach the top of the mountains! Go, sinopia!" Wait, she meant she's about to paint the top of the mountains. She giggles over how silly she is, but it's time to stop being so goofy and get back to work.

Into the sinopia the paintbrush goes, a twirl of the brush for good measure. This dark-reddish brown is her favorite to use for mountains and rocky terrains. For extra fun, she always uses for the preparatory drawing. Hooray for double usage, hooray for the Renaissance-style, hooray just because!

"Next up is the mountains!" Here comes Rosa's paintbrush plane again. "Red ochre, I choose you!"

No time to question her moves, she'll paint the mountains with the pigment she chose! Now she's using burnt sienna for tree barks! Free smiles for all is best part!

This time, she avoided any excess plaster. She applies another layer to the three grassy sections on the right. Afterwards, she spins her brush twice, then dips it into the green pigment.

"Terre Verte, I choose you!"

To be a master painter in his dream, this green is the color that she's painting the grass and trees! Now it's time to paint some berries on the ground and on the trees! Various colors, such as red iron oxide, beige, pink and azurite, are used for Cheri, Sitrus, Pecha and Oran Berries respectively. More colors are utilized for the additional yummy treats she's giving the .

No excess plaster, time to apply more to the center. Tee-hee, she already knows that she's gonna win!

"River's next!" she cheers. "Let's gooooo, ultramarine!"

A lighter shade of ultramarine becomes friends with the paintbrush, that's how she's picturing it. The vibrant river comes alive as she makes her way further in, the two ends of the river connecting in the furthest possible point.

Awesomeeee, no excess plaster for the third time in a row! One by one, she quickly and carefully dips her brush into various colors, such as a slightly darker shade of ultramarine blue, titanium white, and black iron oxide to paint the skin tones of the Pokémon. After each color has been used, she makes her to wipe her brush to avoid accidental mixing.

"Once you're finished there, do you want to take a break?" Valen asks, standing up. "If you're hungry, I mean."

"I finished using up this layer of plaster." Rosa spins around to face Hilda and him. "I'm game for food!" She wipes her brush, then rests it on her palette.

"I'll buy food-"

"We're buying food this time." Rosa and Hilda bop his cheeks. "It's called fairness, silly."

Valen can't help but laugh. How many times have they done this now? Classic precious crazy wholesome minds, brightening up his day by their present alone.

Lunch's been taken care off, back to painting for Rosa. She resumes painting the various Pokémon, five more to go. She applies another layer of dips her brush into yellow ochre for Eelektross and Luxray.

Valen relaxes within the lobby, his gaze alternating between Rosa working and his copy of Historia by Democedes. The first flow of clients and visitors take seats, and much to his delight, several are taking note of the masterpiece painting a masterpiece.

They're praising her work, he doesn't need to be told how she feels. It's like they have a spiritual connection—those kind words are making her more determined to finish it today. She's looking in his direction, so he gives her a thumbs up.

Rosa winks, then twirls back to resume the task. Valen faintly laughs, turning the page of the book. He's reading about fully detailed account of how Apollo and Galatea conquered the battling competitions within Syramos, Aphenia, and Néos Didicia. This work also has an account of the batting competitions held in Ancient Osiris.

Trotting's heading his way. "Uh oh, here comes Hard-Ass Hilda." Instead of a bop, he gets a kiss to the top of his head.

Hilda titters, jumping down onto the seat right of his. "When I organized those digs on behalf of the Nacrene City Museum, everything that was found was Ancient Unovan art," she remembers. "The dig in the Osiris, Ishtar, Kasmenestias, and Ragulia regions wielded the same result."

"We can learn so much about cultures of the past through their art." he smiles. "That's how we know much of what we do know about ancient civilizations." He rubs her head. "And I love how you're so eager to learn about everything."

"That's cuz I love learning about the world that I love in!" Hilda clasps her hands in front of her right shoulder. "Just like I to learn about the the passions of awesome people!" she winks. "I'd like some compliments too, Val-Val."

"You're a masterpiece who commissioned a masterpiece to paint a masterpiece." He winks back. "Good enough?"

"More than good enough!" She cups her face with her hands. "You're awesomeeeee, Val-Val!"

"Thank you, Queen Obvious."

Heh, she's trying to take a peek at his book. Rosa and him really did rub off on her, didn't they? That being said, she was interested in history when he first met her. As for art, anybody can engage in art appreciation, regardless of their knowledge. That's what makes art so great.

"I did it! I did it! I did it!"

Her elated tone catches their attention. She's jumping and raising her fists above her head.

"I pushed through and painted my first fresco in Calvana within a a single day!"

"Heeeey, there's the Rosa that I know!" Double high five with both hands is required for this. "You go girl!"

Rosa grabs Valen's arm, pulling him closer to her latest piece. He was already walking there in the first place, but this is typical Rosa at work. She's now doing the same thing to Hilda.

"You might wanna stand back, Rosa." he smirks. "The gorgeousness of this painting might be overshadowed by how good you always look.." he winks. "Same goes for you, Hilda."

"Mhm, keep showering me with praise." Rosa's giggling fills up the air around her. "Queen's decree."

"What Rosa said!" Hilda clasps her hands in front of her left shoulder."

"After I check out her latest work." Valen rubs Rosa's head. "I'm proud of you." He kisses her on the lips. "Very proud of you." He stares into her eyes, nearly getting lost in them.

"Thank you." Rosa places her right hand over her heart. "Whenever you tell me those words, it stays here."

She may get nervous about bigger commissions at times, but it can't dampen her ability to paint with consummate precision and swiftness. This is a prime example of why he considers her on par with the Old Masters, albeit he's very biased towards his ball of fluff.

The bright blue's sky pierced by the orange glow of the setting sun, the use of back lightning creating a shadowy effect within the landscape. Crobat, Aerodactyl, and Braviary soar above the mountains, their expressions indicating some sort of flying competition. Salamence's slightly below them, his mouth open. She's mixed white with Osirian blue within the eyes, the same having been done to all Pokémon with white eyes. Garchomp and Hydreigon are just below Salamence, their mouths open too.

Heh, Luxray and Umbreon are snuggling together on the lush grass. Rosa used Venetian red for their blushing faces, their eyes closed in delight. Gardevoir, Gengar, and Serperior are observing behind berry trees, their expressions indicating euphoria over this tender moment.

The tranquil river lies in the center, the lines on each end merging into one in the distance. The work that inspired this was done in the aerial perspective, but Rosa decided to use the linear perspective. The long wall panel suits her choice well.

Milotic rises from the water, the sunlight beaming down on the aquatic serpent for a more majestic aesthetic. Starmie's in front of Milotic. It's allowing the water to guide it while it relaxes on its back. Eelektross munches on a Sitrus Berry near the riverbank. Golisopod's spinning a large water sword around, while Volcarona's chilling next to the Gothic-style building located at the base of the mountains. Emboar and Beartic take a nap close by.

Upon hearing onlookers complimenting her work, Rosa happily gasps. It's already a hit! They love it, they're all in awe!

Suddenly, Rosa lets out a loud yawn. Oops, she used a little too much energy! Valen's already wrapping his arm around her mid-section, pulling her down into his lap. Rosa allows her limbs to loosen, her body going limp afterwards. She soaks in all the warmth and relaxation his hugs give her.

Good thing Rosa's not paying attention to Valen's Luxray and Hilda's Umbreon. Luxray's brooding like he's indifferent to snuggling. Umbreon feels weak in her legs, her blushing face tucked in between the front pair. She really wants to ask Luxray if they can snuggle, but she's so shy about it! He's so handsome and cool, kyaaaa!

Cupcakes, the other Pokémon are eating cupcakes! Wait, where'd Luxray go?! Is he bringing her roses or something?! Please say that he's bringing her roses!

Luxray scoots a box of cupcakes in front of Umbreon, opening it with his front paws. Umbreon blushes, lowering her head and placing her own front paws inwards.

She wants to eat the cupcakes, but the sunlight peeking through the window's showing just how handsome Luxray is! She can't take her eyes off of him! This is Code Flareon! This is Code Flareon! Oh no, oh no no no! Luxray's trying to feed her a cupcake! Oh-yummy! More cupcakes, more more more!

Luxray and Umbreon happily close their eyes, enjoying their impromptu date. Yes, Luxray will admit that this one is a date. He's still not cute, nobody better call him that. He's a proud feline, not a kitten.

Top Bottom