• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Rocky Road ~ House of Starr and Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Near the middle of the street of houses was a large home suited for accommodating Pokemon that were reasonably large, perhaps even larger-than-life. This was a little awkward for some of the residents, particularly Nate, but there seemed to be accommodations for smaller Pokemon to go out and about without too much issue. Like all of the houses in Rocky Road, it came with four basic rooms. There was a living room with some seating on one side and kitchen equipment on the other; further back, down a very short hall, was the bedroom equipped with four beds of varying sizes for what might have been the planned residents prior to certain complications. Between them was a storage closet spacious enough for quite a few items and perhaps even Pokemon who needed some time alone; and finally, the restroom in the back corner. While a little large, it was manageable, and left room for larger residents to live in later.

<><><>

R12 – Glad You're Here – Brisa & Starr

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
After Brisa's revival, before the fight with Red...

Brisa stumbled forwards, her eyes heavy, her head dizzy from the way she could see into things now, like her ma, from the way everything about her body felt unfamiliar, unwieldy, at once terribly powerful and fragile enough to shatter.

"How far?" she mumbled to Starr. "T'the Guild."

Starr tightened her grip on Brisa's shoulder as a sort of reassurance. "Not much further, almost there. Which room is--eh, I'll find it."

Brisa mumbled her room number. Starr evolved, huh? Yeah. Definitely. She was so tall. Wow.

Hadn't she slept long enough in the Voidlands? Why was she so tired? Her luxray vision was disorienting. She hadn't the knack of turning it on and off yet, and it gave her a headache when she saw through too much at once. She kept her eyes shut, since that seemed to force it off, and let Starr guide her.

She heard a door open. She wanted to be in a bed more than anything, by sky and stars and storms.

"Thanks, Starr..."

"It's nothing. Someone's gotta make your sorry ass get some damn sleep," said Starr. She shoved Brisa – gently – and she tumbled sideways and onto her bed.

"I'll sleep," she mumbled. "I'll sleep. I promise."

The fatigue hurt. Gods. She'd always expected to feel stronger after evolving, but instead she just felt useless. At least she could sleep, and that was what Starr was asking of her...

There was a pause.

"Alright," said Starr. "You need anything before I go? Like, water or something?"

I need you not to go.

Brisa choked on the words. She couldn't say that. The thought even occurring to her felt unacceptable. An imposition. Starr already said she was gonna go...

Y'don't want her to, though. What's the harm in askin'?

"Could you stay?" Brisa asked, so quietly she wasn't sure Starr would hear her.

Another pause, then: "Yeah, alright."

Starr lowered herself onto the edge of the bed, and helped Brisa budge over to give her room to sit comfortably. Then she just leaned her weight against Brisa's side. It felt comfortable. Warm. Like a living blanket, even. Even when Brisa closed her eyes, she couldfeel that Starr was still there. With her.

She wanted to say something. She didn't know what.

This is good. Y'should get t'be happy about it. An' so should she.

"Starr..."

Starr's weight shifted very slightly, as if she was inclining an ear to listen.

"I'm really glad you're here."

If Starr replied, Brisa was unconscious before she heard it.

Since then...

Brisa's dreams had been fragmented, intense, confusing as always, but strangely pleasant compared to the usual fare. Starr had... Starr stayed with her. Because she'd asked.

She'd slept off half a lifetime's fatigue, thrown her weight around in the training rooms once Starr stopped watching her like a braviary for signs of overwork, and charged into the battle with Red alongside her friend to deliver some of the most searingly powerful attacks she'd ever heard of.

Brisa's Void Arcstrike and Starr's Brilliant Flarestrike reacted to each other and became Fusion Arcflare!

There was something about being with Starr... Something that made her better.

Yer just thinkin' that to justify tryin' to spend more time with her. Not that there's anythin' wrong with that.

Maybe not. More time... She wanted that.

As it turned out, she'd get it. Not only did the two of them keep hanging out in the Guild Dorms, but Starr took to spending time with her around Destiny Village, and eventually at their new accomodations in Parfait Way. Brisa stopped bothering to say 'make yourself at home' after the first couple of visits, when Starr took to throwing herself over the couch within seconds of her arrival. Soon after, she began showing up at Starr's place with just as little fuss. Brisa smiled as she helped herself to refreshments from Starr's fridge. She'd never had a friendship like this.

It was good.

"I never got round to congratulatin' ya on yer evolution," drawled Brisa, as she clawed the top off a bottle of ale. "Considerin'... well, everythin', it plain slipped my mind. Y'look fuckin' strong. More comfortable in yer own skin too, maybe?"

She grinned. The facial movement had finally stopped feeling alien. Perks of having Starr hang out with her in the dorms enough times, she guessed.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr grinned back. "Thanks. Not gonna lie, it feels pretty damn good," she said, taking a long swig from a can of iced coffee. "Not saying there was anything wrong with being a Torracat, but this is just a hell of a lot more normal for me."

She hadn't really gotten much chance to appreciate it at the time, with all the... everything. None of that mattered anymore though.

She glanced at Brisa. "What about you, enjoying being a Luxray now, and all that?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded, and finished her swig. "Sure am. This is a first fer me, bein' this large an' powerful an'— oh! I got the luxray vision, just as I expected. Still gettin' the hang of it, but it sure feels good. People treat me different, too. Most people. Not you, really."

She looked at Starr, casually reclining against her, relaxed and cheerful in her presence. How strange to think that at one time, Brisa had genuinely expected them to remain in a state of silent hostility for the whole time they were on Cibus. She'd never been more glad to be wrong.

"Feelin' more comfortable in my own skin too, I guess," she added. "Less like I gotta be exertin' myself at all times, less like I got somethin' to prove. Guess some of what y'were sayin' to me ended up stickin'."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr let out a small snort, leaning back against Brisa's side and elbowing her lightly. "Told ya so. I'm just glad you're not working yourself half to death anymore. You already died once anyway," she added.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
There had been a time when any touch from another person had been businesslike at best, or hostile at worst. Starr's willingness to show affection with her physical presence, with touch, was comforting in a way Brisa had never realised she needed. She didn't do that thing everyone else did, either, being weird about the death thing. Brisa knew it had mattered to Starr. The tears at the Tree of Life had proven that. It was just a relief not to have to talk around it or endure pity. It helped.

"Yeah, I uh... It's hard to feel like I owe that kinda work ethic after all that. Been takin' some time to myself. Still workin' on Spectrum stuff of course, but I'm learnin' to delegate. Kinda. And I've been spendin' more social time that ain't doublin' up as more fuckin' work!"

Brisa tried to keep a joking tone in her voice, but in all honesty, she was struggling with the want to talk about the shit that was weighing on her. But this was nice, it was good, and she didn't want to fucking spoil it by being a downer.

"I've been hangin' out with that new fella, Koa? The human-turned-electrike. He's takin' to combat trainin' like a devil, an' no mistake. Strong as hell in no time at all, an' it ain't just my expertise as an instructor! Gonna have him in my squadron fer fights t'come, I reckon."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr tilted her head. "Didn't realize one of the newbies was human. Might have to catch up with him later. Eh... as for me, I've been taking a break from the investigating bullshit to train with the other newbie, Kate. Her Radiance is coming along pretty good, should be a big help on the next mission." Next mission. How the hell was that going to go if they still didn't know who to trust by then?

She shook her head. "Anyway... yeah, glad you've been looking out for yourself. And also kicking ass at the colosseum from what I've seen."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Huh. So they'd each spent time training a latecomer, huh? Nice. Maybe they could get together for a throwdown at some point.

"Yeah!" said Brisa, with relish. "Actually, you'll be pleased t'hear it's yer own advice about pacin' myself that earned me my recent wins. I beat Pepper in our rematch 'cause she expected me t'be all-offence like last time; I parried her fuckin' finisher usin' that technique y'showed me. Been winnin' other fights that way, too. An' hey, how about that fuckin' fight against Leg, huh?"

Yet another fight where they'd used that combination move. Light and darkness; flame and lightning. That aching feeling in her chest as a cry was ripped from her lungs, the glowing in her heart as she felt Starr's presence at her side. She'd give anything to keep hold of that one moment.

"Say, Starr, how about you an' I take on some challengers jus' the two of us? I dare say we could show the Omen Heroes a thing or two about human-pokémon partnerships, huh?"

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr gave a bit of a crooked smile. "Yeah? Didn't realize you'd been taking notes." Brisa... really looked up to her, huh. Sure, people had been admiring her for ages, but there'd always been that fear mixed in, and Brisa just... didn't have that.

Starr ran a claw along the rim of her coffee can. "Not gonna lie, fighting Leg kicked major ass. I never got into competitive back home but I'm starting to see the appeal--you get to feel like a badass with a ton of people watching, what's not to love?"

The way people talked, it was like human-Pokemon duos here could beat legends even without the Team Spectrum Blacklight bullshit. No wonder they were all minor celebrities.

Starr folded her arms behind her head. "Sure, I wouldn't mind taking them on with you. Why not."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa's ears and tail shot up at that.

"Alright," she said, tryin to reign in her embarrassingly potent delight. "I'll be lookin' forward to it! Already got some ideas about strategy, we can talk shop next time we hit the trainin' grounds. Y'might wanna be ready fer interviews, though. Pansit, I don't got a handle on just yet, she's... She's got pep. Puff leaves me agitated, but I guess at least he doesn't take all day an' night."

Ah. How much to say about the other gal...?

"...I like talkin' to Cream, though. She's the luxray lady? Y'might've seen her round the Guild the other day? She interviewed me recently. She's . . . sweet. She's real sweet. Nothin' like any luxray I knew back home, that's fer sure! Made me feel downright comfortable, all gentle-speakin' an' that..."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr let out a snort. "Geez, if I didn't know any better I'd say you've got a thing for her," she said, giving Brisa the biggest shit-eating grin she could manage.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa's ears went so flat they were flush with her head. Actually, maybe returning from the Voidlands had been a mistake. Maybe she should go back there, at the earliest possible convenience.

"W-would ya, now? Whatever gave ya, um, that idea?"

What the fuck was she doing? She was transparently lying even to the least observant person on the planet, let alone Starr, who could read her like a goddamn book. She'd just be digging herself the world's biggest hole if she tried to pretend, here. Starr's face was so painfully fucking smug. God. It was gonna put Brisa in the infirmary.

"The thing is. I, uh— Well, I... I kinda do, Starr? I think? Fuck. Goddamnit."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr burst out laughing at the look of horror on Brisa's face. "Relax, I'm just giving you shit," she said, giving the Luxray a pat between the shoulder blades. "You've gotta be the biggest disaster lesbian in existence, you know that?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Wind and weather, really?? Gods. Starr, please. The worst part was she had a point. Brisa was fucking hopeless.

And yet... It felt okay, when the rush of heat to Brisa's ears had a chance to dissipate. Starr wasn't being mean. This was more like . . . an invitation to talk about it honestly. For once. Starr... Starr would listen. She'd get it.

"Thunder, Starr, y'ain't even fuckin' wrong," she said at last, sucking air through her teeth. "Yeah, I like her. A lot. It don't matter none, though. 'Cause she ain't... Look, she obviously likes . . . someone else. Not me. An' I don't see how I'm turnin' that around, so she's just the latest in a long line of gals I get heartache fer only fr it t'go nowhere. Augh. Starr, how come I can't get a date on this, or any fuckin' planet?"

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Huh. Starr had always assumed that Brisa had been doing fine in that department. What with her pairing up with Curio and Astrid practically the moment they'd all arrived. Then again, those two had sorta bailed later on, so... that had to sting.

...Brisa wasn't just being coy now, was she? What with her obvious crush on...

Nah. If she'd been actually trying to hide it, it would've been even worse.

Starr let out a sigh. "You don't have to feel so sorry for yourself. You haven't even asked anyone out, have you?" Brisa shook her head sheepishly at that. Starr went on, "Well then, come on. You'll find someone who's a good match for you in no time if you actually go for it."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"I guess? Maybe. I don't really know what I'm doin'. Or what I'm doin' wrong. Seems like I keep gettin' ghosted."

Brisa looked at her friend, and saw more in Starr's expression that she usually saw in anyone else's. Yeah. She was sincere. Of course she was.

When Starr told her something like that – that she had a chance if she tried – it felt like it could be true. Even the toughest goddamn feelings were somehow easier around Starr. It was like it was . . . safe to feel like shit when they were together, safe to talk about that stuff without receiving pity, or anxiety, or whatever.

"I can't promise I'll actually 'go fer it', but . . . I'll quit feelin' sorry fer myself. Dunno where yer conviction I'll find someone is comin' from, though."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
"Who says you're doing anything wrong? Maybe they're the ones with the problem," Starr said matter-of-factly, closing her eyes and downing the rest of her drink before crushing the can in her hand.

"But fiiine, if you're so sure, then maybe you are right. After all this time hanging out, I can't imagine why anyone'd wanna spend time with you," she said dramatically, reclining against Brisa with her arms folded. Before Brisa could protest, she added, "Obviously you're nice, dumbass."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
The idea that she was doing things right and her crushes weren't up to scratch was a giddy goddamn thought. And then Starr struck home with a finisher that left Brisa reeling. Obviously you're nice. Dumbass. Starr really thought that about her?? Well, it tracked, sure, but even so...

"Okay, yeah, yeah, fine, you're right," she floundered. "As usual."

Though she looked away, she couldn't help but smile, and lean in a little more.

"You're not so bad yourself," she added. She laughed at herself, feeling lighter than air for a moment. "No idea what I was thinkin' way back when. I must've been the one with the problem, huh? I'm glad things changed."

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Starr let out a small chuckle. "Maybe you were. It's okay, I forgive you," she said jokingly, ruffling Brisa's mane with a paw. "So long as you learn how to forgive yourself for once in your life."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Mmhm," replied Brisa, nominally noncommittally, but as she leaned into Starr's paw a little, she fully intended to. She'd try, anyway. "Thanks, partner."

She wondered idly how Starr was doing on that same front. The venom in her voice when she'd confessed her sins in the pit... Brisa hadn't heard that self-hatred in Starr's tone since then. Which was good. But all the same...

What would show up if Starr ever Shadowed?

"I was thinkin'," she said, nonchalantly enough, "about Blacklight powers. Y'know, fer the Colosseum. I'm gettin' better at usin' that stuff myself, lately, and, well... I reckon that combination attack of ours will put even opponents like Pine through their paces! I, ah. I've been callin' it Fusion Arcflare in my head, but I guess I oughta run that by you..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom