• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Rocky Road ~ House of Kate, Cabot, and Nip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Kate thought to herself over Cabot's suggestion when her gaze chanced to turn through the open door out to the backyard. There, she saw Pleo and Melanie playing with a heap of their toys from Baram Town that had been laid out around a large play castle they'd bought there. There, Pleo was perched on top, as Melanie approached growling with cardboard armor clad on her body.

"GRAAAAWR! Unhand the princess, foul drake!" she snarled. "Lest I, Drachentöterin Melanie be forced to cut you down!"

... Oh, so that was why Melanie asked for help with making that set of play armor. And here Kate had been worried that she was upset over Maple shooting down her proposal for a set of golden armor on the team tab for her.

As silly as it was for a Kyurem of all Pokémon to declare herself a dragon slayer, Kate had to admit it was a cute routine. Probably still would've been better with that golden armor, but meh, she and Cabot still got the kids some nice gifts anyways.

... Maybe Cabot was onto something. It couldn't hurt to give those two their gifts a little early. And with her mind made up, she nodded back and smiled up to her larger housemate.

"Yeah, let's do it. Even if that talk might turn on the waterworks a bit, I know they'll love our gift, so let's not keep 'em waiting.

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
As Cabot and Kate got up and began to make their way over to the backyard, Pleo spread his wings defiantly and tried to look as menacing as possible.

"Never! The princess is staying with me!" the Lugia exclaimed. "If you want her so bad, you'll have to come and get her!"

Cabot chuckled to himself as he and Kate approached the two. He couldn't help but smile upon seeing Pleo trying to be threatening and enjoying himself so much alongside Melanie.

"Hey, you two having fun?"

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Melanie turned her head back at Cabot's greeting and at once had her eyes light up.

"Oh! Hi! Cabot!" the Kyurem cheered. "Pleo and I were just playing pretend as a knight and dragon!"

Kate blinked before tilting her head back and smiling.

"Well I can't say I've ever heard of a Kyurem being a knight," she chuckled. "But hey, it's something different. And it looked like you two were really getting into things."

The Weavile paused for a moment, before shaking her head and motioning at the two to come over.

"Though did you two have a moment?" Kate asked. "There was something we'd like to talk about."

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
Pleo tilted his head. "Oh? What is it?"

"Well, we know we're not leaving Cibus until tomorrow, but there's a few final things we wanted to say before we go," Cabot said, sitting down in one of the chairs outside. "After all, it's about to be my and Kate's final evening here at the house, and while I don't know how tomorrow is gonna look like, at least we can take our time to say goodbye now."

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Pleo and Melanie's mood seemed to take a dour turn after the Rampardos' words, as Melanie visibly drooped afterwards. The Weavile hesitated, before shaking her head and letting out a quiet sigh.

"Yeah, I wasn't looking forward to this either, but we all knew it was coming," she sighed. "So we might as well get the sappy junk out of the way here."

Kate made her way up to the still-downcast Kyurem, and pat at her neck with a reassuring smile.

"I... just want to thank you Melanie. For everything," the Weavile said. "For being there for me, for looking out for me and fighting at my side."

Melanie wavered for a moment, as her eyes began to visibly mist up and she turned her head down with a low mutter.

"Then why do things need to be like this?"

Kate stilled her claws, looking into the Kyurem shade's eyes and seeing they were visibly worried. Taken aback, the Weavile hesitated for a moment, before she warily spoke up to ask.

"What do you mean by that?"

"When you leave, we won't be able to share thoughts with each other anymore!" the Kyurem exclaimed. "I don't even know if you'll be able to come back to Cibus!"

Melanie turned her head away, gritting her teeth as her voice came out choking and halting in reply.

"We were supposed to be happy after beating the Eternal Blacklight!" Melanie cried. "Not worrying about how even when you're so close we'd still be so far away from each other!"

Kate said nothing for a moment, before shaking her head in reply.

"That's just part of growing up. A daughter drifts from her mother and becomes her own 'mon as she grows up," she explained. "Maybe it's not usually as intimate as we were, but it's still every bit as scary and disorienting at times."

Kate leaned in and pawed at the Kyurem's head, tugging it up and staring into them.

"And it changes nothing between us," the Dark-type insisted. "Even if you'll be able to keep secrets from me now, you're still the same Melanie. And the 'mon that I'm proud to call my daughter."

Kate trailed off and flattened her ears, giving an uneasy paw at her shoulder. Melanie seemed to pick up on the Dark-type's misgivings, as she looked up and tilted her head back puzzledly.

"Is something wrong, Kate?"

Kate gave no reply at first, as she let her eyes drift to the floor and brought a claw up to pinch her brow.

"It's just... I'm a bit worried whether this is all just going to feel like a dream to me when I go back," the Weavile sighed. "I'm... not exactly a hero back in my own world."

"Not yet anyways."

Kate felt Melanie nose at her and looked down to see the Kyurem looking at her, her eyes filled with a determination and insistence that she hadn't seen since the final battle.

"You're sure that I'm still going to be the same 'mon even after we can't share our thoughts and feelings with each other anymore, right? Well the same would hold true for you!" Melanie insisted. "You were a hero here, and you're a 'mon I'm proud of. I just know that some way, somehow, you'll get a chance to be a hero in your own world!"

The Kyurem lurched forward and pulled Kate into a hug, making the Weavile's eyes shoot wide briefly as she felt the dragon nuzzle her. Kate felt her own eyes begin to mist up, as she reciprocated and wrapped her arms around Melanie's neck, looking up with a wistful smile.

"Heh, you sure know a thing or two about putting a 'mon under pressure, huh?"

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
Cabot watched as Kate and Melanie hugged each other, a warm smile settling on his face upon seeing the heartwarming sight. Outlaw or not, Kate was a good person at heart, and somehow he knew she'd be alright. Just as Melanie would, even without her mother being there for. After all, she wouldn't have to be alone…

… which prompted him to look over towards Pleo. His own child which he had to say goodbye to just like Kate had with hers…

"And then there's the two of us..."

Cabot let out a heavy sigh and hesitated a moment as he searched for the right words, while Pleo settled down closer to him. After a few seconds passed, Cabot slowly began to speak.

"When I first came to Cibus I never thought I'd have any trouble leaving. I figured I'd come here, help out other Pokémon in trouble, and then return to my friends back home…" the Rampardos said, pausing briefly as a wistful expression came over him. "But, then you came Pleo."

He got up and embraced Pleo's head, ruffling his feathers affectionately as he rested his head against his.

"Thank you for being there for me. You were always there to comfort me when I was feeling homesick and alone, especially after what happened with the Shadow Machine. I don’t think I could have down any of this without you."

Tears started to form in Pleo's eyes, as he nuzzled Cabot in response.

"Y-You're welcome," the Lugia replied. "I... I was always happy to help you, because I love you Cabot. You're always so nice to be around, and I'm really glad that from everyone on the team I ended up bonding with you."

"I love you too, Pleo. You're my son after all, and I'm so proud to call you that," Cabot said. "It's why the last two months I’ve spent as much time with you as possible. So we could make as many happy memories together we could, since I knew we were getting closer and closer to finishing our mission here."

The Rampardos hesitated again, as tears of his own began to form in the corners of his eyes.

"I... just wish I could take you with me," he murmured. "Take you to see different places in the Cradle, hang out with Berecien and Niilo, or even go see my parents and tell them they have a grandson... Maybe you could even meet the other Pleo. It would be a little awkward at first, but I have a feeling you two would really get along soon enough…"

At this point Cabot was no longer able to hold back his tears, and hugged Pleo tight as he began to cry.

"I'm sorry I have to leave you behind."

"It's okay," Pleo reassured. "I know I can't come, but I'll be alright here with Melanie. I promise."

"I-I know… I know you will…"

Cabot and Pleo stayed in their embrace for a while, before Pleo eventually pulled away and backed away slightly

"Though… there’s actually something else I wanted to bring up to you as well."

Cabot gave a puzzled tilt of his head and wondered to himself what Pleo wanted, when all of a sudden, the great Lugia in front of him abruptly shrank, littler and littler until he only came up to his chest. Just like the Pleo of his world.

"I'd like to be small again… or at least for now," Pleo began. "I've tried being big since that fight with Eien, but I wanna wait with being like that until I get older. I know I won't grow naturally like most Pokémon, but I'd still like to enjoy being a kid while I'm young."

Cabot brushed a few tears from his eyes and smiled back. Even if he was physically small again, in some ways, Pleo was growing up faster than he'd ever imagined.

"Well, I think it’s a very mature decision to make. A lot of young Pokémon just want to grow up fast."

“Also… is it okay if I call you 'dad'?" Pleo asked. "I wasn't really sure how to bring it up since I've called you 'Cabot' for so long, but... you are my dad and I think I'd really like that."

"Heh, of course you can, Pleo."

The pair pulled each other into an embrace once again, this time, Cabot's arms being able to wrap around Pleo's smaller body. No tears came this time, though even so, Cabot couldn't help but have a wistful tone leak into his voice.

"I'll miss you," he said. "You mean so much to me."

"I'll miss you too, dad," Pleo replied. "I wish you could just stay here forever, but I know you have friends and family in the Cradle you’ve missed for months."

The pair stayed like that for a brief moment, before letting go. Cabot wondered what Pleo would do next, only for him to waddle over and pull Kate into a hug much to her surprise, looking up with a grateful chirp.

"And I'll miss you as well, Kate," the little Lugia said, nuzzling the Weavile. "I really liked living with you and I'll always remember how you were there to look after me after that fight with Joule."

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
A warm smile spread over Kate's face at the embrace, and she pulled up a claw to give a playful scritch at the Lugia's neck.

"Yeah, you certainly aren't making this easy. I'm gonna miss you too, Pleo," she murmured. "Just... take care of each other while we're gone, alright?"

"And you take care of your Pleo in your world too, you hear!"

Kate turned her head with Pleo, where much to their astonishment, Melanie had gone over and pulled a surprised-looking Cabot into a hug of her own.

"After all, if we ever come to your world, we want to meet your friends there too!" the Kyurem exclaimed. "And hear all the good things they have to say about you!"

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
Pleo chirped happily as Kate scratched his chin, while Cabot chuckled as Melanie hugged him, prompting him to give the Kyurem a firm hug back.

"I promise I will," the Rampardos insisted. "Just make sure you and Pleo do the same for each other, okay? After all, you're like family to me, Melanie."

Cabot and Melanie eventually let each other go, and for a moment, Cabot wondered to himself if there really was a chance that Pleo and Melanie might ever visit his world. Given that he managed to travel to Cibus, even if it was with Diyem's help, surely it would be possible somehow... even if he probably wouldn't remember them.

He shook his head, opting to focus on his present circumstances for now.

"Anyway... there was actually something that me and Kate got for you two."

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Melanie gave a curious tilt of her head back at the Rampardos. Kate and Cabot had gotten them something? Together?

"Huh? What is it?" the Kyurem asked. Kate curled her mouth up into a teasing smile, before waving a claw back

"Well where's the fun in just telling you?"

Kate made her way over to a nearby table with Cabot, where the two of them fetched a box that had been gift wrapped in bright colors, the Weavile held the box out in front of the Kyurem.

"Open it up and find out, Schatzi."

Melanie took the box and nosed at it puzzledly. She noticed that barring a ribbon about it, the box had already been designed to be opened just by removing the lid. After looking at Pleo, she and the Lugia undid the ribbons of their boxes and cast them aside, pulling the boxes back to find...

"Oh!"

A quartet of figurines inside. One of her and one of Kate, and one of Pleo and Cabot too! Curiously, their bases all seemed to be shaped peculiarly, almost as if they were meant to interlock.

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
"They're us!" Pleo exclaimed.

"That's right! Kate and I had these custom made," Cabot replied. "The thing that makes these figures so special is that you can do this with them..."

Cabot grabbed both his and Pleo's figurines, and after fidgeting a bit, interlocked them with each other with an audible click. He repeated the process with Kate's and Melanie's figurines, before assembling the four into a group standing side-by-side with each other.

"And just like that they're all together!" the Rampardos cheered. "You two can put these somewhere around the house. They're meant to represent the four us and all the happy memories we made. That way you guys can always remember us."

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Melanie’s eyes lit up at the sight of the interlocking figurines, the icy dragon looking down before turning her attention to Kate and Cabot with a cheerful wave of her arms.

“They look wonderful! Thank you!"

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Melanie and Pleo took the figurines and drifted off, already playing with them and musing aloud over where they'd put them in the house. All the while, Kate looked on, before giving a gentle elbow at Cabot to draw his attention.

"Guess that's about it," she said. "Thanks for the time together, Cabot. It was a pleasure meeting you and fighting alongside you."

The Weavile trailed off for a moment, before giving an absentminded paw at her shoulder.

"I... don't know how on earth it'd ever happen," Kate murmured. "But I hope someday I'll cross paths with someone like you in my world."

The Dark-type caught herself for a moment, before blinking and giving a sheepish grin back.

"Hopefully on friendly terms, though."

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
"Heh, well it was a pleasure meeting you too," Cabot said, wagging his large tail. "You're a great friend and like a younger sister to me. I'll miss having you around."

He cracked a grin. "As for meeting someone like me in your world, never say never. After all, if multiple Giovanni can exist out there, I'm sure there can be a Rampardos in your world with a personality like mine."

Cabot shifted his attention back to Pleo and Melanie and called out to them.

"Hey, you two wanna get dinner?" he asked. "I was thinking we could visit Treasure Town and all take on the Curry Bowl Challenge for our final meal together."

"Oh! I do! I do!" Pleo piped up excitedly. "The curry in Treasure Town is really yummy!"

Spiteful Murkrow

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Melanie raised her head and let out a beaming grin, beating her wings excitedly.

"Oh! That sounds really fun!" the Kyurem cried, before pausing and tilting her head after a thought crossed her mind of something that could complicate their curry bowl challenge. Sure it could probably handle normal Pokémon taking part in it, but...

"Will they even have enough curry for me to try out the challenge, though?"

Kate shrugged in reply, and cracked a bemused smile back.

"We'll find out soon enough," she answered. "Though guess we should've tried that sooner, huh?"

Virgil134

PMD Writer
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. weavile
  3. kommo-o
  4. noivern
  5. mothim
"Well hey, better late than never," Cabot chuckled.

"Oh, I know! What if we make it a race to see who can finish his or her bowl the fastest?" Pleo proposed.

"Heh, I'd certainly be down for that," the Rampardos replied. "Though let's get these toys inside and get going."

The four got up and started picking up the toys around Pleo and Melanie's play castle. All the while, Cabot couldn't help but have a smile on his face, as he was quietly grateful that they'd all gotten one last chance to have fun together. They'd need to be sure to make the most of it here, and for the rest of the evening. After all, who knew when the next time they'd see each other would be? For now, he could only dream of them reuniting again in the future...

... Then again, maybe it was more likely than he thought. After all, sometimes dreams did come true.

<><><>​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom